PDA

View Full Version : [FMA] -- The Phantom Thief -- Siren

Fallen)x(Angel
02-24-2005, 08:43 PM
I need advice on what material to use for this costume. I want to get the whole costume out of the same material, and since I'm more likely going to end up using e-bay to get the boots, they are probably going to look like this.

http://i20.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/80/de/11_1_b.JPG

I want to try to get this done in time for A-kon, so a pattern whould be nice to get too! ^_^

ZakuKitty
02-24-2005, 10:46 PM
You're talking about this Siren? ;):

Siren (http://fma.xezi.com/images/10/images/29.jpg)

Just posting a pic for reference. I can get more if people who can help out need it. : ) Sorry...I don't have any recommendations. x______x

Mesoian
02-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Well, her outfit is basically a modified jet black tennis outfit. The hardest thing about the costume will be the mask/hood.

Hanyaan
02-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Here's a different ref pic; I was going to do Psiren a while ago.
http://homepage.mac.com/hanyaan/090_Psiren.jpg

I'd say to try and make it out of non-shiny stretch pleather, like this (http://www.spandexhouse.com/products.asp?id=47&pname=Stretch%20Pleather).

Fallen)x(Angel
02-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Hmm, well, I switched on what material I was going to try and use, and I decided to try and make it like http://www.bikerleather.com/ladies/art/SK962_955.jpg this. But *long sigh* Oh god I don't know. I'll consider the pleather.

Thanks guys. Got any suggestions for the mask?

TwiliteSea
02-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Her outfit isn't black. Its a deep brown color.
If you look at the color of her outfit when she standing next to Ed, you can tell that her outfit is a bit lighter and more brown in comparison to Ed's black pants.

Fallen)x(Angel
02-25-2005, 06:22 PM
yeah I know, but I'm doing it black cause I hate brown

Eleryth
02-25-2005, 10:10 PM
For the mask, she has a seam down the middle and a strap under her chin. You'll most likely need fabric that stretches a bit. Personally, I probably would have used a sports knit, for some reason, but Hanyaan is right, definitely not something that shiny.

I see the color as a deep reddish-brown, but I'm sure it will look just fine in black. ^^ And you'll most likely have to make boot covers since those boots aren't high enough. Keep in mind that pleather is a fairly hot material if you're wearing it tight all over your body.

Fallen)x(Angel
02-26-2005, 10:20 PM
*sigh* This really isn't helping. Okay, how about I get suggestions for a material to use, and THEN ask on how to do this and that.

Eleryth
02-27-2005, 12:33 AM
Material choice - something with stretch that isn't too shiny is my suggestion. 4-way stretch is easier to fit, but you probably could work with 2-way (4-way will strech width wise and top-bottom, two way only one of those depending on the way you cut your pattern out).

Really, stretch is your only real requisite. Other than that, if you really like the shinyness, go for it. First and foremost is that you like your costume, even if it isn't 100% "accurate". Besides, she'd look pretty damn sexy in vinyl, sorta like Catwoman.

As for going about it, check out patterns from www.kwiksew.com. They carry lots of patterns for stretch materials (leotards, bodysuits, catsuits, etc.) and modify it from there. I think modifying a catsuit would be easier because it has legs and arms. And to help keep that one no-leg piece in place, you might want to look at a leotard pattern, too, or perhaps wear nude stockings/dance tights underneath so that it has something for added friction so it doesn't slide all over.

You'll need a special needle for sewing stretch fabrics (just ask at your local sewing store) as well as figure out the right stitch. The machine may have a stitch for knitted fabric. It uses more thread, but it will stretch with the fabric instead of having the fabric stretch around it.

Also, if you're going to use a vinyl material, get a needle for vinyls (ask at the sewing store) and read up on sewing with it (there have been a few threads, or search the internet). You might need a special foot for your machine, tissue paper, or some sort of lubricant.

Also, think about what you will wear underneath. Invest in seamless underwear (bra and undies) so that the lines they make aren't showing through or really obvious.

I can't really suggest too much for the mask since I've never made one, but I'd make it out of the dark material, with a strap that's either an elastic or snaps on one side. I'd add the white bit later, possibly out of white with interfacing. To get the right shape of pieces for the mask, you might have to try making a mock up first. I think you'd need two curved pieces like a half-moon, but I'm not sure. Mock-ups are really helpful.

Bootcovers - I think www.lynleigh.com has some up about making them for sailor moon, but I think it'd be the same process. It's much easier with stretchy material.

Hope that's a more helpful answer.

Fallen)x(Angel
02-27-2005, 01:12 PM
Well, I did a google search and found one website that has a cat women halloween costume, and maybe I could just ajust it to be fit for Siren? It is vinyl, but I think that my Siren costume would turn out better this way. Plus the costume comes with a mask and it'll save my the trouble of having to do that. [Yay! Cheating to get a costume!]

The costume doesn't come with boots, so I'll still have to order those, but other then that I think it would work fine.

Eleryth
02-27-2005, 07:41 PM
I've never tried that before, but it shouldn't be too bad to alter. If you're comfortable with it, go for it! I find altering some outfits easier than making them outright, so perhaps this will be the same.

I'd still look for info on how to sew vinyl though, just so altering it is easier.

Fallen)x(Angel
02-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Well, if sewing won't work, I can always hot glue. Thanks for the help.