PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Mr. Amano...

Elvy
02-24-2005, 09:21 PM
Hello everyone! I just wanted to say 'thank you' for those who are planning on coming out to support AniZona 1 in its innaugural year in Arizona! We look forward to seeing everyone there, especially all the cosplayers who are working hard to put the finishing touches (or for the procrastinators...just starting :waaaah: ) on their costumes for this year! :bigtu:

I've been perusing through the forums on occassion, and have noticed that there are a few questions about Mr. Amano as far as what he's doing and when. We appreciate everyone's patience while we're still solidifying his events, but keep in mind that convention programming often fluctuates so much that it's nearly impossible to post any scheduling information until several days before the start of the event. (Many apologies about that!)

During AniZona, Mr. Amano will be doing two panels (one on Friday and one on Saturday, and times have yet to be solidified). Each panel will be on a different topic; one being his work on the Final Fantasy series, the other being the progression of his career and artwork. These two panels will be run in an interviewing style with a short Q&A session near the end. In order to touch on the kinds of questions that you want to know the most about, we're asking you to submit suggestion questions that should be in the panels. The most suggested ones will be on the top consideration listings during the panel sessions.

To submit your questions, please email me at: games@anizona.org
Feel free to ask me any questions here in this thread about any other aspects of the convention. I'll do my utmost best to answer them, or direct you to the proper committee member who would know that particular answer (or is in control of that department).

Will he be doing autographs?
For those who are wondering if he'll be doing any autographing, the answer is 'yes'. The details on where and when are still being finalized. However, he won't be autographing during the same time as the other guests of honor. Because of the number of people who have come to see him, please limit your autograph requests to one per person. We ask you to do this so that everyone gets an equal opportunity to obtain an autograph from him.

Another request is to keep whatever you're having him autograph relevant to what he's worked on. Bringing in an autographing notebook, or something generic for him to sign is completely acceptable. Bringing in a Final Fantasy game or poster of some sort is also just fine because he's worked on the series projects. Just keep it relevant and tasteful in nature. Even though he's worked for Marvel Comics before, don't just bring in a comic for him to sign that he never even worked on. Also, do not ask him to autograph a part of your body, bras/underwear/boxers, or anything else that could be deemed inappropriate or vulgar. Those who do will be asked to leave the room, and could face further penalties from AniZona or the hotel.

Taking a picture is up in the air at this point. Unless he makes a personal request to not have his picture taken, we will not say 'yes' or 'no' at this time.

We will do everything in our power to maximize Mr. Amano's exposure to the attendees. However, the attendees will also have to share their time with him in order to make as many people happy! :D

Again, please send panel questions to my email at: games@anizona.org
Do not post them here, otherwise I can't compile them as well. However, other questions regarding the convention or the scheduling of Mr. Amano's events can be asked in here and I'll do my best to answer what I can.

Thank you for your attention! We look forward to seeing you at AniZona 1!

Best regards,
~Elvy
AniZona Gaming Coordinator

Jinx
03-02-2005, 01:37 AM
Hey Elvy! Great to see you stop by!

This helps a lot about the signing. I was digging through my artbooks and found the one I want him to sign! XD Also, I'm assuming the answer is yes, but will people be limited to having him sign one item? Also, is it ok to ask for sketches? Although I think that might be a no...

Elvy
03-04-2005, 11:55 AM
Hey Elvy! Great to see you stop by!

This helps a lot about the signing. I was digging through my artbooks and found the one I want him to sign! XD Also, I'm assuming the answer is yes, but will people be limited to having him sign one item? Also, is it ok to ask for sketches? Although I think that might be a no...

The limit is in place so that most of the people in the room can try to get an autograph. I think he's going to be located in the Main Programming room (not entirely sure) which seats a couple hundred people. If everyone was asking for multiple signatures and sketches, I think the poor guy's hand would crmap up. So I ask humbly that you just keep it to one autograph for the sake of his health and future artwork. :)

However, that doesn't mean that you couldn't try to make it to BOTH autographing sessions.

We've now set up the panels so that it's one hour of the actual panel, and then one hour of autographing for both panels. Reason being is because he will not be at the convention on Sunday (which was when we were planning to have our GoH autographin sessions). But since he agreed to autographs, we broke his session up into two one-hour time blocks after each panel on Friday and Saturday. So everyone has two chances to make it to a panel, and two chances to attempt to obtain an autograph from him.

Hope that helps answer your questions! ^_^

It's a pleasure to be here, Jinx! :chatah:

Eurobeat King
03-14-2005, 03:19 AM
I haven't checked the website for info since I've been busy with cons prior to Anizona, but I have a few questions: Will there be a ticketing-system for Mr. Amano's autographs, meaning will there be a LIMITED # of autographs he will be signing during the con? Or will there be a first-come, first-serve, line-up for 1-2 hours to get his autograph? I respect the one-item per person for his autograph rule, so I need to decide what to bring to ask him to sign. :)

Any updates or news about whether or not pictures will be allowed during his autograph session? I have friends who will be cosplaying FF Amano-style characters, and if we go together in a group, if they would like to pose with him for a picture, would that be allowed? Any info you can provide would be appreciated. :D

Elvy
03-17-2005, 01:39 AM
We request that you keep your autograph requests to one per person. This way it gives as many people a chance to get a signature as possible.

With picture requests, I won't say 'yes' or 'no' on the subject. I leave that entirely up to Mr. Amano's discretion. So feel free to ask him for a picture. I'll let him make that decision instead. ^_^

Eurobeat King
03-17-2005, 02:12 AM
Elvy: Thanks for your information. :) I respect Mr. Amano's time and everyone else in line who wishes to get his autograph.

Tenucha
03-28-2005, 01:35 AM
Questions I would have liked to ask Mr. Amano:

1) What FF title do you wish you worked more closly with (FFVII/Advent Children, FFVIII, X/X-2)
2) What music/bands do you listen to?
3) How/What do you feel about the Final Fantasy sequals (FFX-2, Dirge of Cerbruis and Advent Children) and any other future releses.
4) What do you think of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children? The move from games to cinema and, unlike Spirits Within, revisiting old favortes.
4 1/2) Did you have any part in this project?

I dunno... the first question I was thinking of asking during the second panel, the other ones I just thought of while brusing my teeth now. :P

Did anyone else who attended both panels get a 'lil annoyed at all the repeat questions during the Final Fantasy (Saturday) panel? Like, the were not FAQed to him by that woman (sorry, forget who she was ^_^; ) and there were repeats like "What's your favortie medium" and "Who's your favortie to draw" just of the top of my exhausted head.

THe first panel was "Progression in Art" and there were a few FF questions and I was kinda like "Wait until tomarrow" in my head.
Then during the FF panel, every other question was already asked or touched upon in the previous panel, granted both panels had some really good questions asked.

K... gonna goto bed now....

Nirote
03-30-2005, 08:14 PM
I would have liked to ask Mr. Amano about how he feels about Tetsuya Nomura as a character designer. They're both so... different! It's amazing that they work on the same line of games. Not to mention, there might have been something I could of used in my Exhibition paper! ^o^ ... If only I weren't too shy to talk into the mic!

Maryssa
03-30-2005, 08:38 PM
To be honest, I was slightly disappointed with some of the on-the-spot questions that were asked from the audience. People really need to do their research before asking someone what they think of stuff theyve never had anything to do with before (such as the final fantasy anime question). It just seems a bit rude to just assume thigns such as this i dunno =/

Elvy
03-30-2005, 10:52 PM
I tried to cover some general basic 'warm-up' questions, and figured I'd leave the rest up to the audience in order to give them more time to ask him questions. I tried to get everyone's questions in as much as possible. However, I 'm not a mind reader, and couldn't predict that some were going to ask questions that would annoy the general populous of the room. ^_^*

Also, some people couldn't get to both panels, so I knew that some questions would end up being repeated. It's the nature of the beast...This was my first time moderating a panel. Forgive me for any blunders I made during the both of them.

Tenucha
03-31-2005, 02:35 AM
I tried to cover some general basic 'warm-up' questions, and figured I'd leave the rest up to the audience in order to give them more time to ask him questions. I tried to get everyone's questions in as much as possible. However, I 'm not a mind reader, and couldn't predict that some were going to ask questions that would annoy the general populous of the room. ^_^*

Also, some people couldn't get to both panels, so I knew that some questions would end up being repeated. It's the nature of the beast...This was my first time moderating a panel. Forgive me for any blunders I made during the both of them.

Was Amano annoyed at some of the questions? He just seemed boared some times, like answering questions while resting his head on his hand or something...

I thoguht you did great!!
Very good FAQs. I do wish some questions were added like "What's your favorite medium/color scheme" ya' know?

I think the first panle had some REAL good people asking questions like the "What would you like to be remembered for" and so on.
It was like the Saturday panel just attracted the fanboys anf girls or the series.

Anyways, I hope he'd like to comeback at AniZona 3 or something and you be backwith them good 'ol FAQs :)

Excellent job! I especially like how you had the entire room set up for autographs.
Friday, we came in during the FMA panel and saw the whole audence up front all paniky and stuff... so I was relevied to hear we were gonna be mature about it.
It was very nice of Amano do be here and and sign autograpsh and give us all one fo a kind doodles.

Thanks very much Amano-san :)

Kensuke
04-11-2005, 06:27 PM
To be honest, I was slightly disappointed with some of the on-the-spot questions that were asked from the audience. People really need to do their research before asking someone what they think of stuff theyve never had anything to do with before (such as the final fantasy anime question). It just seems a bit rude to just assume thigns such as this i dunno =/

Actually, the Final Fantasy anime is set in the world of Final Fantasy V (a game he worked on). This was made explicit in an interview a Square representitive had with EGM years ago (around the time FFIV came out). You may be able to order a backissue of this. It was interesting enough for me to remember it after all these years. It goes into the history of the series pre-Playstation (when Amano was still heavily involved).

I personally don't see the error of the question, as it deals a direct derivative of his work (as opposed to the later FF games). Some artists have opinions as to directions their previous work is taken. He apparently had none. Fair enough.

I thought the panel went great. The only thing I regret is not asking him any questions about Front Mission I had (just to bring up his other gaming works if nothing else...he's more than just FF). As staff though, I didn't think it was fair to take a chance away from the attendees. Plus I was the guy running around the room with the microphone trying to get all your questions in.

Tenchu wrote:

Was Amano annoyed at some of the questions? He just seemed boared some times, like answering questions while resting his head on his hand or something...

Not bored. He was very relaxed. These were the exact words spoken to me by his manager (Yoshi). I went out and smoked a cigarette with him during the autograph session. He told me that Amano was thrilled to be there.

Keep in mind that Amano works ridiculously hard. Poor Yoshi has to work hard to keep pace. This trip to AZ was as much a vacation for Amano as it was a work-related PR thing. They visted Sedona to get some artwork ideas, and I was asked what parts of the area in my opinion would be good to check out. I wouldn't be surprised if some of his future creations took on a red, rocky desert theme.

In closing, the Amano situation went very well. I was dissapointed to hear that somebody on CP.com (who shall remain nameless) posted on their LJ and assumed that it was going to be a "ghetto con" unworthy of Amano's attendence. I think that both Amano's review and the very high attendence (WELL in excess of most first year cons) proved such ney-sayers wrong.

- John
Psychopathic anime con staffer.....