PDA

View Full Version : you know your obsesed with cosplay when.....

chibi_kitty
07-11-2002, 11:06 AM
so. do you know any "obsesed cosplayers" who would want to help me write a form/sheet telling all the things about when your obsesed with cosplay?

here are some off the top of my head:
You know your obsesed with cosplay when.....

-you spend all your money at the fabric store, even though you don't really need that yellow spandex... it might come in handy later.

-you drag your friends to conventions wearing the costumes you have made for them (and they don't like anime)

any more out there?

Lady Somairot
07-11-2002, 11:38 AM
-you spend hours playing and pausing and playing and pausing DVDs and VHS's to make sure you've counted the right amount of pleats for that skirt, both front and back. o_O

Adella
07-11-2002, 10:55 PM
1 you find yourself driving down the road and glancing at the mini malls and strip centers for possible places you could find cosplay accessories/materials for your costumes.

i.e. driving through Santee seeing a leather store and saying "oh malon belt!" or spotting a wig shop and saying "ooo wigs!"

2 you see anyone that might resemble a character from your cosplay anime/game and think to yourself "he/she would make a good cloud/vincent/sephiroth/link/yuffie/zelda etc"

3 you spend all your time online looking up cosplay pics, looking at cosplay sites, working on your cosplay site, and worrying about cosplay

4 you wear your favorite costume (aeris) to the mall once in a while.

Yggdrasil Pie
07-12-2002, 12:20 AM
- everytime you look in the mirror, you practice posing for the camera. ^^;;;

Adella
07-12-2002, 12:50 AM
Haha 've done that!! and you always try to make sure that no one's watching too. lolol

Lady Somairot
07-12-2002, 12:53 AM
-you've collected so many wigs that you've started to use your PenPen plushie as a wig stand...

o_O (yeah, my Carmila wig is currently on a sweet little lion friend of mine...)

Jibrille
07-12-2002, 01:18 AM
- when GoodWill becomes one of your true best friends

- you feel the need to have at LEAST two costumes a day for each day of a con

^^

Adella
07-12-2002, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Lady Somairot
-you've collected so many wigs that you've started to use your PenPen plushie as a wig stand...

o_O (yeah, my Carmila wig is currently on a sweet little lion friend of mine...)

Carmilla oooooo!!!!

peacecraft
07-12-2002, 11:40 AM
When the only reason you spend all that money on a hotel and a con is to have an excuse to cosplay.

When the second the con is iver, your whole trip home revolves around discussing which costumes you're going to start next weekend for the next con.

Rosiel
07-12-2002, 01:22 PM
> When the only reason you spend all that money on a hotel and a con is to have an excuse to cosplay.

That's sad, as it perfectly describes my AX experience this year. >__<

peacecraft
07-12-2002, 02:18 PM
yeah. Me too. That's why I posted it. ;)

Adella
07-12-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by peacecraft
When the only reason you spend all that money on a hotel and a con is to have an excuse to cosplay.

When the second the con is iver, your whole trip home revolves around discussing which costumes you're going to start next weekend for the next con.

HAHAHA THAT'S SO ME!! Admin's like "aaah let's relax and not talk about costumes for a little while" I'm like "Let'S GO TO JO_ANNS!!"

Ina
07-12-2002, 05:43 PM
- your "future" or "planning" costume list is *too* long

- you start digging in you closet hoping you have something that might be good for your costume so you don't have to be more poor

- your working on two or more costumes

engrish
07-12-2002, 06:03 PM
This is for male cosplayers/ crossplayers

You sew better then your grandmother.

You know how to put on make up and you hang your pantyhose onto the shower to dry after washing them.

You shaved your legs or used some type of hair removal powder/ lotion.

Adella
07-12-2002, 06:14 PM
I wish I sewed better than my Mimi :o

Yggdrasil Pie
07-12-2002, 11:32 PM
another one! Hehe....

-you just realized most of your wardrobe consists of mostly costumes.

Nadeshiko
07-13-2002, 02:01 AM
- you see two Catholic schoolgirls at the mall and automatically think you want their uniforms.

- I've been guilty of wearing a few of my "normal" looking costumes in public and school every now and then

Adella
07-13-2002, 05:11 PM
HAHA ! UUUUUUUUUNIFOOOOOOOOOOOOOORMS!!!!!!!1

engrish
07-13-2002, 07:23 PM
At anime conventions you wear your costume from morning to night and don't change into regular clothes until going to sleep.

You bring a hot glue gun with you to anime cons.

Asuka Langley
07-13-2002, 08:59 PM
-When you see any image of any character and imediately start thinking what would be the best material to use - *i do that sometimes*

-When you see a character using a gourgeous dress and ask you grandmother to sew it for you - to use on those huuuge social parties... - *helllooooo!*

-When you see Belldandy wearing a beeeautiful dress - with wings, of course - and decide that THAT one is going to be your wedding dress - *raising hand*

In fact, i have to say that i must be an addicted... gee, i do all these things you people are listing ^^'''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Asuka Langley

Jibrille
07-13-2002, 09:38 PM
- comfort is no longer an issue

- your account balance management revolves around you costume plans

- watch an anime for the sole purpose of scouting out new possible costumes

- when your watchin the anime (or game) one of your characters is from and you bust into character and yell how 'cool' you are.
^^; lol

- in less than an hour you can turn your whole house into a cosplay sweatshop (much to the dismay of your family members)

- youre willing to make costumes for friends who wont even go to a con just cause you want to make a costume

Yggdrasil Pie
07-13-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by engrish
At anime conventions you wear your costume from morning to night and don't change into regular clothes until going to sleep.

lol!!! I done that at AX this year!! It made me question why I brought my regular clothes...^^

Ayaka
07-14-2002, 01:29 AM
*gives everybody in the thread with appropriately sized personal bubble a hug* My friend has accused me of belonging to the cosplay religion. But it is a not a religion of one! XD I haven't got anything good to add cause they've already been said. I'll try one though . . .

- you actually buy shoes because they look like ones that a character you might potentially cosplay someday has
- you cut and/or dye your hair in a significant way for the sake of accuracy

Originally posted by WaterEmperess

lol!!! I done that at AX this year!! It made me question why I brought my regular clothes...^^

lol! Err . . . I *didn't* bring normal clothes . . . just a t-shirt to wear on the plane, and one "Fruits"-type outfit just because. One guy I met while in costume actually didn't recognize me in normal clothes (with my hair), until I pointed it out to him (we were talking for several minutes), even though we'd been hanging out for several hours that day, rofl!

rayechu
07-14-2002, 05:09 AM
lol you find a bobbin in your shoe....
^.^;

Tenshi
07-14-2002, 01:04 PM
Ohh, here's one, a true story:

- You find the COOLEST pair of white boots in the band closet at school, and proceed to beg for them endlessly for a month to your director, until he finally gives them to you out of disgust.

(I've used those boots for three costumes already! XD)

- You lose sleep because you're worrying about something cosplay-related, and when you DO fall asleep, your dreams involve cosplay

- A trip to the fabric store is more fun than Disneyland ^_^.

- You feel like you should give up watching anime, playing games, etc. You have enough cosplay ideas already, dangit!

Ranma Saotome
07-14-2002, 02:03 PM
- you count Halloween as just another day for cosplay

- you goto work in one of your costumes and people look at you

:D

chibi_kitty
07-14-2002, 04:19 PM
I thought of another one....
-when you practicly die when your friend tells you that while in sanfransisco she went into a four story fabric store.... and didn't buy you anything.

Adella
07-14-2002, 05:06 PM
you drive all the way to las vegas because your friend says there's a good hair extensions place there, only to find she lied.

Yggdrasil Pie
07-14-2002, 08:44 PM
-If you have braces, everytime you get different colors, you make them match with one of your costumes..

I have braces. ^^;;;;

Adella
07-14-2002, 09:30 PM
How cute!!!

Uriel_Sama
08-01-2002, 01:46 PM
- You create original characters, and you actually make their costumes and wear them, just for the sake of being in costume.

- After a con, you obsessively search the net for pictures of yourself, and flip out if they're not to your liking.

- When people don't even KNOW your real name, simply recognize you as that personw ho played such-and-such last year, and you actually remember them too.

- This relationship is the basis of a friendship that's very deep.

- You forget your real name after a con, and gaze blankly when someone calls you by your real name instead of your charas.
"Eh? Who is this person you speak of! I am Uriel!"

- You're willing to shell out months of hard labor and hundreds of dollars to look "JUST LIKE" said character in question.

- You obsessively comb thrift stores for anything that could be used/cannibalized for new costumes.

More later... as I gather the courage to list them. I do every single one of these.

Lillyxandra
08-01-2002, 02:07 PM
- when watching a new anime, you are already considering cosplaying as one of the character before the intro is done.^^

Quies
08-01-2002, 05:25 PM
- as soon as you see an outfit you start think how to make it, down to the details

-you sketch out costumes you really like into it's peices so you can see how each should look (and you don't even know if are making them)

-you compare everyone you see to an anime charecter.
(my friend does this..i am currently Karen from X)

Cait
08-01-2002, 05:53 PM
-You're afraid to watch anime with armored characters now because you know someone in your usual cosplay group will just have to transform all of you into the main cast... and you'll be left making the armor. (Ok a little specailized, but it's why I feared Rayearth 2)

-You can't get your hair cut until you decided what character you're going as next year. Every millimeter grown is crutial. (This has to be common... kinda mentioned up there as well, but hey... rephrasing makes it important...?)

~Cait

Medellia
08-01-2002, 06:22 PM
YKYOWCW:

*You look at your debit/credit card bill and there's more charges from sewing stores than grocery stores

*The staff of the local sewing store know you by name (if you're really bad, they know which costume you're working on at that moment)

*You consider shipping your costume to and from Japan (trust me, it's very expensive) instead of checking it in as luggage on the plane for fear it will get lost and broken

*You know, in exact detail, the costume of any character you've ever even -considered- cosplaying

*You randomly pose. In the middle of the kitchen. While your bf is cooking dinner. Just cuz it felt like a cosplay moment

Yggdrasil Pie
08-01-2002, 08:42 PM
-When your friends/family ask you what you want for your birthday or christmas...you say you want a wig... they think you're joking until you say... "No, I'm serious" and you get a strange look.

lol...just happened to me today... ^^;;;

Himemiya
08-01-2002, 10:38 PM
**When Ebay is your best friend ("the perfect wig for only $21 plus shipping...*_*")
**When you actually dream about a costume you'd like to do (Not once, not twice, but -three times-)
**When you bring a different color nail polish to cons for each costume
**When you flip through a new japanese magazine, looking for potential cosplay characters

Jibrille
08-01-2002, 10:58 PM
> **When you bring a different color nail polish to cons for each costume

i just did that for otakon.. >< lol

> - when watching a new anime, you are already considering cosplaying as one of the character before the intro is done.^^

do that every time i see something new.... -.-;;;

- cramming into a single hotel room with 12 other people is a small price to pay for cosplay

- you get a 'real world job' just to feed your cosplay habbit (thats me)

- your friends plan a cosplay group and you join just for an excuse for yet another costume

- you see a picture and you insist you must do the costume, it doesnt matter if you know who the character is or not, you just 'neeeeed' to make that 'cooool kickass' outfit

NeoDrifter
08-01-2002, 11:21 PM
well I am thinking about going to Otakon as more then another character, Maybe some of you have read what I have said so Iask of you to send suggestoins to me for who I can go as to Otakon my description is as follow:
-5'5"
-Asian-Korean/Japanese
-Black Hair that is striaght

NeoDrifter
08-01-2002, 11:22 PM
also did someone suggest this?
-Thinks os anime characters all day as they go through the day
-Thinks of ways to form certain parts of a costume
-researches and reearches despite what your body demands such as food and other necessities

Ayaka
08-01-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Jibrille
- your friends plan a cosplay group and you join just for an excuse for yet another costume

Corollary - people you don't know are planning a cosplay group and you join just for an excuse for yet another costume ^^;;;

- you see a picture and you insist you must do the costume, it doesnt matter if you know who the character is or not, you just 'neeeeed' to make that 'cooool kickass' outfit

I just did that today with Vocal from Violinist of Hameln . . . >.<

New one - you have a good dream about cosplaying where you find the perfect thing you need, but it winds up being a nightmare because then you WAKE UP. :P

Bobbi
08-02-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Asuka Langley
-When you see Belldandy wearing a beeeautiful dress - with wings, of course - and decide that THAT one is going to be your wedding dress - *raising hand*

Muahaha... my future wedding dress is going to be Garnet's dress! Sooo pretty! *pictures it*

.... And you've planned this years beforehand.

Tenshisama
08-02-2002, 11:53 PM
--when you must clip or keep every picture of a character you like just in case you might cosplay that person some day

i saw some pics in my brother's magazine of a character i want to cosplay and he laughed when i asked if i could keep the picture. it's just a little one... but it's of a rare side view! O_o must be accurate... *mindless drone*

Mei Lan Chang
08-03-2002, 12:22 AM
I know I am a full on compulsive Cosplayer when I freak out if I look at my desk and find out that I have run low on pink sculpy or teal sequins.

lulu
08-04-2002, 04:43 PM
-When you look in the mirror and think you dont look luluish enough today...

-When you stare at the other lulus and you wish you had their belt...

-When someone comes and complements you on your costume and you say "what costume?"

Mei Lan Chang
08-04-2002, 05:58 PM
When you end up in the hospital for 3rd degree burns from your hot glue gun.

scandia
08-04-2002, 07:08 PM
- You spend more money on costumes than on civilian clothes.

- You learn how to sew just to do costumes!

- You read a bridal magazine simply to pick up ideas for your next costume.

Yukai
08-05-2002, 01:17 AM
My friend was reading through all of these, she has also been around during those mad sweatshop days of sewing and sculpting and such. She has decided that to the earlier post, we are not a religion, we are a cult. I just smiled and asked when she would join. I think she may steal one of my sewing machines to make me come out of the sweatshop...NO! Must keep making costume....

-You no longer go to Jo Anns, you simply call and they ask you which credit card you would like to put this on, and who will be picking the material up for you today.

-Jo Anns sends you a fabric catoloug...bi-weekly

-You've worn so many wigs and dyed your hair so many times that your friends asked you what your natural hair color was, and you thought it was a trick question

Cait
08-05-2002, 03:40 AM
*looks around* You mean me, sis? Or your cousin? Or one of the kids/lovers? You know I'm not allowed around sewing machines anymore! >_<

Wait... You have a natural hair color?!?!?!

~Cait

Yukai
08-05-2002, 12:50 PM
One of the many lovers in the other city....

I dunno.....do I? I am getting a new dye job again....how can my hair still be so thick??

Just droped more money on my surger.....broke something else...thinking about buying a new one aqnd using the other as back up.

Katan
08-06-2002, 06:22 PM
-You cant look at anyone without thinking "Oh they could be..."

Yukai
08-07-2002, 09:51 AM
-You decied that you are no long er wearing "normal" clothes. Your costumes become everyday wear.

KuroBara
08-07-2002, 12:08 PM
--You cosplay all three days of a mostly sci-fi / medieval con

--You buy a new digital camera just in time for Otakon instead of waiting the 2 weeks for your birthday

I've done so many of these ^_^ Last night I fell asleep planning out my Jean (Lunar 2) cosplay. Then, upon waking up this morning I had to ask my bf who he would be when I'm Jean. (Leo!)

I just got a haircut, and when I came back one of my friend's immediately said "Wow, you could really pull off a Jill Valentine!" At least I'm not the only one ^_^

venus2869
08-07-2002, 01:01 PM
More clues to the obsessed cosplayer:

>When you move from a 2 bedroom apartment into a 3rd, specifically for the extra room to make costumes! (True story! I did it and it works out fine for me!)

>Your local fabric store calls you telling you they miss you since you haven't come by in awhile and have tons of new fabrics in stock!

>You use your work computer to make complete diagrams of your cosplay and print them out to take with you when you go supply hunting! (I do!)

>when your boss isn't in, you bring your costumes in to work with you to work on them!

>You have the local wig shops on speed dial on your home phone & cell!

>You have an ebay auction alert when your fav supplier lists new items!

>You plan buying cosplay items with the sale of your siamese kittens! (I own a mom & dad cats so I use the $ from the sales to support my habit!! I am sooo sad!)

Cait
08-07-2002, 08:25 PM
Not sure how to put this one into second person. Here's what I almost did today:

I shelve books at the public library. It's my job. Today I was putting away books when I came across an old volume about dress alteration. It included detailed instruction on fitting a princess seamed dress to a person. I almost stole it. >_< I almost stole it from a public library. Eh?

~Cait

Kurenai
08-07-2002, 10:12 PM
=== You pay $15 for one of those fake doves for a costume, even though you have no intention of wearing it any time soon and could have waited till christmas.

Yukai
08-08-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Cait
I almost stole it. >_< I almost stole it from a public library. Eh?
~Cait [/B]

*~points~* Thief!!!!

Cait
08-08-2002, 01:48 PM
*whistles innocently*