PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find geta?

Scoti
03-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Does anyone know where to find geta in Toronto (downtown)?

I'm looking for the more platformed plain style like these:

http://www.kyokusho.com/nonkiya/_private/geta.jpg

NOT

http://www.kyokusho.com/nonkiya/_private/ukon3-1.jpg

Sarcasm-hime
03-06-2005, 01:06 AM
Hummmmmmm...don't think I've ever seen the two-tooth geta in Toronto. You could try at Things Japanese (on Harbord Street) although they tend to be crazy expensive. Or maybe <a href="http://www.japantown.ca/">Japantown in Markham</a> but I've never been there so I don't know if they have them or not.

Scoti
03-06-2005, 08:16 AM
yes it seems very hard to find. I've tried every store I could think of and they either sell the flater ones or none at all. I think I've been to that Japan town building before a while ago and I don't remember that place selling alot of footwear or traditional footwear for that matter. Thanks anyway.

Squall1882
03-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Hmmm... I wouldn't suggest jtown (in markham).. besides a bit of novelty food and some dishes and stuff there really isn't much there... Scoti there is a lady at the Haru Matsuri festival at JCCC that was going on yesturday and today (12:30 to 5:30) that is selling massive amounts of these shoes.. not sure what is left... but she is selling everything like that... kimono, obi, sock, shoes (lol.. forget Japanese names)

If she doesn't have it or sold it, I'm sure she could get it for you.. that's where we bought our stuff last Haru Matsuri

** Everyone that went to the dance got free passes to this... Asami bought stuff there.. if you can't go I can check and see if she got the lady's business card.. though not sure if she did**

oneas
03-06-2005, 02:51 PM
darn, I need geta to >.< I found a website where is says how to make them, so I might try that.

archangeli
03-06-2005, 04:28 PM
I bought a pair of "ladies styled" (slimmer cut) geta with that platform you just posted in the top picture.

I bought a pair of white tabi socks too. I had my grandmother with me so she paid for them, but it was crazy expensive - $70 for the geta and $28 for the tabi socks!

I have their business card *rummages*

http://go.to/cocoroweb is their site. Their store is in Aurora though.

Here's a picture of them. The "pink" bit can totally be covered... hehe

Piru_Chan
03-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Hmm my dad brought me back geta from the Things Japanese on Harbord. The kind you want are mens the other type is ladies (I have a pair of both but the ladies are laquered black). However they are pretty expensive. The store info is:
Things Japanese
(416) 967-9797
159 Harbord Street
Toronto, ON
On a side note the thong that goes in between your toes can hurt if your not used to it. I was bruised for 2 days after wearing the shoes on and off one day so be careful.

Kaijugal
03-08-2005, 03:43 PM
They were selling them at the JCC event this weekend darn it.

archangeli
04-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Another store to check out is Things Oriental (622 Yonge Street - west side, a block or 2 north of Wellesley)

They have lots of pretty Chinese and Japanese things, it's a bit ecclectic but they had a few pairs of tatami slippers and I asked the owner today if they carried geta and she said that they usually carry them for summer, so stock would arrive around the end of April-May.

heki-chan
04-02-2005, 12:24 AM
>_< i hope you see this before it ends (3 hrs)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29451&item=3967143322&rd=1

*edit* nevermind, found more:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29452&item=3968055933&rd=1

Danners
04-02-2005, 09:07 AM
darn, I need geta to >.< I found a website where is says how to make them, so I might try that.

I was planning on making my own for my Mugen costume.

I 'may' be able to make some extras if people are interested. I have access to all kind of wood working tools and machines so I wasn't really interested in buying a pair unless they were cheap enough.

Also, it depends on how 'authentic' you want them as well. I know they're normally made out of one piece of wood, but I'd probably be making them out of three (easier and less wood wasted, although I could still do the one piece method if need be). Also the thong apparently is suppose to sit in the middle of the shoe, but for comfort sake I'm putting it off center.

Anywho, just let me know if you're interested.

***EDIT
I just found out WHY the front thong hole is in the middle. I'll be making them in the middle or close enough (compromise between comfort and authenticity).

archangeli
04-02-2005, 10:21 PM
***EDIT
I just found out WHY the front thong hole is in the middle.

why? :dance:

Danners
04-02-2005, 11:19 PM
why? :dance:

The reason it's in the middle is so your foot sits on an angle in the shoe. If the thong was off centered (like normal sandals) then your foot would sit straight. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but since geta are quite wide and somewhat more clunky to walk in, if your foot was straight in the geta, then you'd put your feet crooked to maintain a proper center of balance (like people do normally wearing whatever pair of shoes). However, since the geta are wide, you'd risk having them overlap each other around your heel causing you to potentially trip.

Hope that made sense :)

Sarcasm-hime
04-03-2005, 01:28 AM
Yeah, for some of the modern-styled women's geta the holes are sometimes off-center, but that's because those geta are much narrower than traditional geta so they wouldn't knock together. The good thing about having centered thongs is that you can periodically switch the geta around so they get worn evenly. ^_^

Geta are supposed to be a little bit smaller than your foot - your heel is supposed to hang off the edge by a little bit.

The thongs do hurt the first few times, but your feet toughen up after a bit. I wear geta pretty much all summer (they're SOOO much comfier than sandals in hot weather, and they're much more stylish than flip-flops!), and then just throw on some tabi when it gets cool.