PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find some Reflective PVC material

nightko
03-07-2005, 06:07 AM
In Toronto Area.

archangeli
03-07-2005, 10:03 AM
You need to go down to the fashion district - particularly Queen Street West.

The Solid Snake
03-09-2005, 11:37 AM
hey archangeli, stop complaining.

incase u didnt know a forum is supose 2 be a community, and this one is for help each other come up with cosplay info in canada. If its about shoping then so be it. who put u in charge anyways!

If you dont like the thread then dont read them and stop complaining

---------

Nightko i looked but couldnt find anything, maybe try ebay or somethin.

Sexy_Rikku
03-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Ya I'm with snake, dont pick on ppl cause they wanna get info on cosplaying.

just enjoy the forums :bigtu:

archangeli
03-09-2005, 03:40 PM
hey archangeli, stop complaining.

incase u didnt know a forum is supose 2 be a community, and this one is for help each other come up with cosplay info in canada. If its about shoping then so be it. who put u in charge anyways!

If you dont like the thread then dont read them and stop complaining

---------

The Solid Snake -
For your benefit I've edited my post since I already brought this up in the Site Suggestions area and Admin had addressed my point.
Your "whining" back at me doesn't help build "community" as you put it.

Nightko - I doubt you actually tried looking and just created a post, but whatever... Part of the fun of cosplay for me is searching down the "perfect" materials, but it helps if you have an idea of where to start.

Fabricland and Bouclair carry "reflective tape" - which is what you put on kids at Halloween so cars can see them :thumbsup: probably not what you need. The only "PVC" they carry there is thick vinyl for outdoor patio furniture... not ideal for costumes at all.

If you are looking for Garment PVC, then you should head down to Designer Fabrics, on Queen Street West, on block west of Dufferin. (www.designerfabrics.to) Their website is HORRIBLE, but they will definitely have whatever you are looking for in terms of "reflective PVC"

Be prepared to shell out between $9.99/ $24.99 per yard. (Yes yards, they don't sell meters. And they won't cut anything less than half a yard for you).

The Solid Snake
03-10-2005, 08:45 AM
I'm not complaining about you, i am trying 2 help out people on the forums cause there are always jerks who wanna shut eveyone up and tell them use the search function instead of using of creating threads.

Amy the Yu
03-11-2005, 01:41 AM
If you dig really hard, sometimes Fabricland will churn out some PVC for about $10/m...often cheaper if you have a membership card or if there's a good sale.

It's usually raincoat type PVC and I've only seen it in either black or red, but I kinda live off of 2 Fabriclands, so I'm not sure what the supplies at the other locations are and they apparently vary a lot depending on which store you're at.

I'm not terribly sure if that's what you're looking for though.

Keep in mind PVC doesn't breathe, so if you're going to be using it to make a costume, it might be a better idea to use some other kind of fabrics that look similar to PVC instead. My Relyss costume had a PVC sailor collar on it, and even with just that small bit of it (and the rest being cotton), my shoulders were all nasty and clamy afterwards.

I'm not complaining about you, i am trying 2 help out people on the forums cause there are always jerks who wanna shut eveyone up and tell them use the search function instead of using of creating threads.

Helping people doesn't involve saying things like "who put u in charge anyways!"

That really doesn't come off as being very nice, and Archangeli sure doesn't strike me as one of those "jerks" who's just trying to shut everyone up.

Sometimes, specific questions have been asked over and over. This thread isn't such a case, but I've seen at least a dozen threads asking about where to find faux fur, and that's just unnecessary. People should always search the forums to try to find threads that already address the issue at hand before making a new thread. Many times, they'll find exactly what they need if they look around a bit.

Sarcasm-hime
03-11-2005, 01:52 AM

I guess I'm a jerk, because I will tell people to search for things when they ask a question that has been asked dozens of times before.....often when there's a thread still on the first page that has the exact question they're asking. Sorry, but that's just lazy.

The Solid Snake
03-11-2005, 08:37 AM
i guess you are, its settled then

seriously tho, if you dont like the topic dont come in it, why must you and others come and try 2 push around people, its not your forum and yes its not mine either,i may be a member of the forum but that by no means gives me a right 2 come in and boss people around. Its people like that, that give forums a bad name. Cause instead of just letting the topic either disappear off the front page, or simply answer the question, you come in and post worthless jiberish because you feel your above the other because "haha i know about the search function" or "haha i have nothing better to do then come into a thread i dont care about and post my opinion just cause i can".

If the question already exists then fair enuff ur right, but if its like this one or others who are just asking questions that havent been answered or the answer cant be found whats the big deal?

Really does it pain you so much to help someone out

Helping people doesn't involve saying things like "who put u in charge anyways!"

Fair enuff, but i supose doing what their doing is really helpfull right?

archangeli
03-11-2005, 11:29 PM

^ THAT was the least helpful suggestion of all the useful things suggested on this thread.

why must you and others come and try 2 push around people, its not your forum and yes its not mine either,i may be a member of the forum but that by no means gives me a right 2 come in and boss people around.

No one is bossing anyone around. And having a bunch of threads on the same topic in one forum is not helpful since the same questions have already been asked (this isn't directed at this thread in particular, but you only need to go into the wig or prop sections to find the same questions asked over and over again. It gets tiring after a point.

I would also like to point out Rule #2 of Cosplay.com -

Everyone has an opinion, and many times it will differ from your own. Please respect other members' opinions and if you feel the need to argue, please do so in a nice, honorable way.

Amy the Yu
03-12-2005, 12:18 AM
I was down in the fabric district today. I forget exactly which shop it was, but it's the one right beside Arton Beads if that helps any, and they had this polyester fabric in there for about $15/m that looked almost like a super shiny PVC, but it was flexible, stretchy...and I think it MIGHT breathe. >_<

Cause instead of just letting the topic either disappear off the front page, or simply answer the question, you come in and post worthless jiberish because you feel your above the other because "haha i know about the search function" or "haha i have nothing better to do then come into a thread i dont care about and post my opinion just cause i can".

Let's end it here. There's no point arguing. If you feel the need to tell Archangeli that she's too bossy or whoever else is being a bitch, please PM them and address it privately. What you're posting isn't any better than pure jiberish either. You're just complaining about those who you say complain too much.

archangeli
03-12-2005, 01:57 AM
I was down in the fabric district today. I forget exactly which shop it was, but it's the one right beside Arton Beads if that helps any, and they had this polyester fabric in there for about $15/m that looked almost like a super shiny PVC, but it was flexible, stretchy...and I think it MIGHT breathe. >_<

Sadly, I know exactly which store you are talking about. It's called something like Discount Textiles, IIRC... It's on the south side of Queen Street, between Arton Bead and the Second Cup :p

Amy the Yu
03-12-2005, 02:26 AM
Sadly, I know exactly which store you are talking about. It's called something like Discount Textiles, IIRC... It's on the south side of Queen Street, between Arton Bead and the Second Cup :p

That's the one...it was so much fun to try to work my way through it with 2 bags on my back for the weekend. -_-;; It's so insanely cramped in there.

The Solid Snake
03-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Let's end it here. There's no point arguing. If you feel the need to tell Archangeli that she's too bossy or whoever else is being a bitch, please PM them and address it privately. What you're posting isn't any better than pure jiberish either. You're just complaining about those who you say complain too much.

Fine but i want some recognition that its not jsut me here,

I would also like to point out Rule #2 of Cosplay.com -

Everyone has an opinion, and many times it will differ from your own. Please respect other members' opinions and if you feel the need to argue, please do so in a nice, honorable way.

Thats fine by me, you should follow the rule also, and respect everyone also. and dont say ur following them cause ur jsut as fault as i am.

archangeli
03-12-2005, 06:20 PM
That's the one...it was so much fun to try to work my way through it with 2 bags on my back for the weekend. -_-;; It's so insanely cramped in there.

It is RIDICULOUSLY cramped in there -__-" Even without bags... lol.. the aisles are about 1 foot wide :eeek: but there is lots of interesting (and tacky) stuff in there.

I remember that on the far left hand side of the store, towards the back, they had large rolls of PVC garment vinyl in "standard" colors like red, black, blue. I haven't gone rummaging in there in a while, but I think that the prices and selection are a bit better at Designer Fabrics (further down, past Dufferin).

Last year was "PVC" year for us... hehe.. so I haven't deliberately gone looking for garment pvc in a while. This year is all about prettiful stuff ;)

heki-chan
03-13-2005, 12:06 AM
Hye Nightko, I have some silver PVC that reflects some. Dunno if thats what you're looking for =\

I used it in my Taki armour, so check my gallery and see if its reflective enough for you, if so, i'll give ya some, dunno how much you'd need though ^_^;; Let me know ^-^