PDA

View Full Version : Raver Rikku (MY design)

pocky_angel
03-08-2005, 04:28 PM
I am making an original design of Rikku from FFX-2 and two parts of the outfit require gradient dyeing..does anyone know how to achieve this look? I'm doing it for the bandana and leg warmers. also what fabric should I use for the things I'll be gradient dyeing?

here's a link to the pic:
http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/costumes/details.asp?costumeid=80508

Anna
03-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Cotton all the way! *Maybe* you could try making the shirt out of T-shirt material?

Lady Sephiroth
03-08-2005, 05:27 PM
I've never dyed anything so I can't give u any advice! I just came to say I like your original Rikku design!

Rydain
03-08-2005, 07:41 PM
I would suggest cotton twill (which is probably one of the best costume fabrics ever). It will take fiber reactive dye beautifully and hold its shape nicely for leggings as well. You can buy readily dyeable twill and dye from Dharma Trading (http://www.dharmatrading.com/).

Eleryth
03-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Me neither, I have no additional advice, but I recognized the model right away (Juclecia, "nude", from Magna Carta)! You're really good with computer editing or photoshop or whatever. Impressive!

I like the design, too, it's really cute. Especially the little charm belt thing.

Elycium
03-08-2005, 08:48 PM
I don't know what to tell you about the dyeing except good luck and that you have an awesome design.

- elycium

xCinnxSpiderx
03-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Take the dye and make it into a tyedye like pot thing aha :P And dip the material about halfway up where you want the dye. Keep on doing that, and each time go up about 5cm from your last dip. This /might/ work, but may need some tweaking. Hope I helped! XD

AyameChan
03-08-2005, 10:17 PM
I am making an original design of Rikku from FFX-2 and two parts of the outfit require gradient dyeing..does anyone know how to achieve this look? I'm doing it for the bandana and leg warmers. also what fabric should I use for the things I'll be gradient dyeing?

here's a link to the pic:
http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/costumes/details.asp?costumeid=80508just wanted to say I love it! good luck! Your art is great!

PZB
03-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Anything natural will dye (cottons, silks, etc, though cotton probably is your best bet.) Avoid blends though...anything with a polyester blend will resist the dye and you'll get some funky things happening.

To get a graident like that, you could probably try starting with the pale yellow and do a dye bath with the green...much easier than trying to dye white two different colors and get it to fade.

pocky_angel
03-08-2005, 11:35 PM
wow! thanks for all the compliments guys!! :heart: :o :japan: I'm always so critical of my original costume designs ^_^;; so thank you everyone! and also thanks to those who gave tips too!! :heart:

Aisha-chan
03-08-2005, 11:41 PM
It's a great design! It's sortof schoolgirl XD.

Although I would have to say that rikku uses the Orange > Purple color combination. like, replace the green with the purple, yellow with orange?

In the end, it's up to you.

P.S. I'm going to that con too! Yay!

Mesoian
03-08-2005, 11:45 PM
You're gonna need glowsticks. ::Nodnod::

Ah_BeA
03-14-2005, 07:43 PM
Aww i'm sorri i dont have advice to u, but i do want to say that ur sketch rocks :)

Take pictures before u get into the rave! take lots and lots! I bet everyone's jaw will drop:)

:love:

procrastinator
03-15-2005, 02:40 AM
Search this forum for tips on Yuna's side-skirt because they have a lot of good tips for when it comes to gradient deying. Cute idea. :)