PDA

View Full Version : First attempt in painter, crits please

LiL QoH
01-05-2003, 07:06 PM
I just did the coloring, this is a fellow artists lineart...this is my first stab at coloring somehting in painter.. I actually like it! :D It's really time consuming...more so than photoshop, but it has that rough sketchyness to it that I love :D comments crits?

http://qoh.homestead.com/files/maid.jpg

diqitaldreams
01-05-2003, 07:08 PM
I love it! Too bad I can't color with computers very well... @_@ maybe cause I've never had lessons or something..chuu...

I love the way the lighting on her legs emphasize her body! *_* Sugeh! Two thumbs up!

final testament
01-05-2003, 08:23 PM
Girl your getting reaaallyyy freekin good at this. (tips hat)
Good job dude!!
Hey how have ya been? Haven't seen ya since Expo?

LiL QoH
01-05-2003, 08:31 PM
Thank you! :) I'm trying out painter because people in the industry want illustrators not to use burn and dodge tool for skin tones... so I was trying something new..it's one of my new years resolution is branch away from photoshop and master another program, corel painter!

As for me, I've been good! Yeah it's been months! Nick and I are still together, it's been over a year and a half. I'm going to be starting my third quarter in college soon... starting to get into 2d animation and 3d modeling. Im sooo excited! :D Will you be going to AX this year? If so, I'm in the masq! Come see me get stage fright! lol How've you been? Whutcha been up to?

Maryssa
01-05-2003, 08:36 PM
you draw excellent figures =D

the only crit i could make is that the hair is a little bit flat compared to the rest of her...

sailor-moon
01-05-2003, 08:39 PM
the outfit is great!!^o^

LiL QoH
01-05-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Maryssa
you draw excellent figures =D

the only crit i could make is that the hair is a little bit flat compared to the rest of her...

nonono I just COLORED it sweetums! :D

diqitaldreams
01-05-2003, 09:33 PM
Wow! xD Can you give tutorials?! I suck at computer coloring!

Maryssa
01-05-2003, 11:13 PM
derrrr *is retarded*

sailor-moon
01-06-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Maryssa
derrrr *is retarded*
retarded...but loved:thumbsup:

Shadra D
01-06-2003, 02:00 AM
I think, for that type of picture, using the brush tool is probably a good choice (as opposed to the cel-shaded appearance of the pen tool, which I tend to use in anime-style pictures). The color choices are very nice, but I think that the hair is the only part that could use some work. I would use, for sake of ease, the 'smeary round' brush tool, simply because it blends softly and beautifully for pictures like these. (I used it in this picture: http://shadrad.sandwich.net/temp/temp11.JPG which sadly, the RIF file got corrupted and ruined all the colors so I never was able to finish it ;;;;;_;;;;; )

For poofy pigtails like that, you'd want to express the roundness and fullness of them, which means you'd want to do some shading around the base and the lower parts of it. The light source, though not terribly clear, seems to be from the upper left, so it would mean the shading on the left poof would be a little more apparent than the right.

I'd think a beige-brown-yellow combination color (of various shades) would be good for that, as well as adding soft, pale yellow highlights on the upper left parts of the poofs and the head to show the lightsource would really add to this (and make it look like the hair is a little bit fuller and shinier than the rest of her body and costume)

You might also want to start with bigger 'lines' in the hair. Very thick, very full, and going all the way to the end (kinda like ribbing on fabric, for a quick example) just to make it look fuller and nicer. From those dark and light lines, you can add more details as you see fit, but sometimes leaving it somewhat soft makes the appearance more desireable. It's up to you, of course n.n

I've only been using painter for about two years now, but if there are two artists who can use the program to its utmost potential, it's Saka from KaPoLo ( http://kapolo.syste.ms/ ) or Jo Chen ( http://www.jo-chen.com/ )

I can't find my favorite tutorial for Painter because the site is down for revamping at the moment, but the most I can say is just play with different things and find what works best for you n.n