PDA

View Full Version : Hair question. . .

Tenshi
07-13-2002, 12:02 AM
I have a ton of blue satin left over from a previous costume, so I've finally decided to do Allen Schezar. The good thing about Allen is that my hair is his exact length and look. The bad thing is that the color is a bit off. Allen's hair is a very bright blond, while my hair is dark blonde. Sooo. . .this is where your opinion comes in. What do you think would look better? Using a wig which rarely looks natural, but having the exact color? Or, using my own hair, which will look great apart from the color difference?

(And before you even MENTION dyeing, I'll just say that I'm afraid even to have my hair CUT. Dyeing is not an option ^^;; )

rayechu
07-13-2002, 12:53 AM
baby powder lol it makes dark hair grey.. I dunno about blonde hair.

Lady Somairot
07-13-2002, 01:32 AM
tough one....

i'd get the costume finished FIRST. then go wig shopping and see which looks better. ^_^ just think... going wig parusing(sp?) in full Allen costume goodness... ^_^ even if you stay with your own hair, it's always fun to go random places in costume and see all the strange looks. ^_~ fun photo ops too.

*giggle* a real life Allen trying on like, some random eighties purple wig... *hehehe* rock.

Scoti
07-13-2002, 10:36 AM
how about that "sun in" stuff it's suppose to make your hair lighter if you stay in the sun for a while. I've also seen that blond shampoo that just brings out your natural highlights that would make your hair lighter...Don't use a wig if you already have the hair for it ^ ^

Tenshi
07-13-2002, 03:43 PM
I was actually thinking about the lemon-juice method of lightening my hair. . .if it really works ^^;;. I've never heard of this shampoo that brings out highlights, but now I'm going to scour the stores to find it ^_^.

Allen with purple rockstar hair! ROTFL!!! If I wasn't such a slow drawer, I'd get to work on a fanart of that XD.

And if I used baby powder, I'd end up getting it more on the costume than me -- I'm such a clutz :}.

Thank you all! *_*

Legato/Machan
07-13-2002, 03:46 PM
For me I would go to the first option.
But why not dyeing the hair? I would dye the hair and give it a special care to not let the hair dry and brake (I think I should go to US to learn some expressions and words, my vocabulary is horrible).

Tenshi
07-13-2002, 04:13 PM
The reason is that my hair is about three feet long, and it doesn't grow very quickly. If I were to dye my hair for this one costume, I might be stuck with it for years.

Which brings me to my next question. . .I saw some stuff at the store that lasts 6-12 washes. That's a possibility, but it looks like it's for covering grey hairs. Does anyone know what this stuff actually does? I'm so clueless when it comes to hair stuff ^^;;.

Legato/Machan
07-13-2002, 07:24 PM
It just cover a hair for a certain period of time or washes. Some are ver useful, but I'm not sure about it cause some american products are very different from products here.

Scoti
07-13-2002, 09:25 PM
oh by the way, the shampoo is called "Sheer Blonde" I found a website advertising it
http://www.makeupmania.com/Details/LU-0138-01-000.cfm

Lilli
07-13-2002, 09:43 PM
The "8-12 washes" stuff.... It only really applies to darker colors ._. (Browns, blacks, auburns, and so on.) Like say you had lighter blond hair, and needed dark hair, that's when you'd use the 8-12 washes dye. (Except I don't trust 'em.)

If you're going lighter, to any degree, it won't be temporary. (Darker colors are 'temporary' because they just cover your hair, the closest analogy I can think of right now is saran wrap... Pretty crappy analogy, actually. But layers. You can layer dark over light, but you can't layer light over dark. You have to remove color to get lighter. 1 + 1 = 3, when it comes to hair dye.) You shouldn't be afraid of lightening your hair, in regards to it's safety. I have long, very fine hair, and I'm afraid I abuse it horribly, yet it looks and feels healthy ._.; *luckyyy* (In fact the hair damage I do have is related to a medication I was taking for a while)

But yes, in regards to what you're going to do -after- the con, wether or not to lighten is a concern. If you've always wanted lighter hair, hey, here's your chance. If you want to have lighter hair just for the costume, but don't want to use a wig, you may consider going lighter, and then dying it back to as close to your original color as you can. (Keeping in mind that you may eventually have to re-dye it again, depending on how much you lighten your hair now. Your hair is essentially dead, color dosn't grow back, it just re-appears at your roots as new hair grows.)

Personally, I'd rather bleach my hair than risk using any of those "wash out" dyes. A friend of mine put "temporary" red dye in my hair, and I had pink tints in my hair for a year afterwards, from where it didn't wash out. Even when I'd re-bleach it blond, it still didn't get it out. (And someone told me last time I had my hair in a ponytail that he could still see the pink, but I think he was just screwing with my head :p~ )

Anoouuu ._. My train of thought derailed. Hmmmmm. If your hair is your pride, think hard and be very sure before you do something to it. I never used to give a flip, my hair grows very fast, but it's beginning to slow down somwhat as I'm getting older, so I don't think I'll be getting it all hacked off again any time soon ^^; If you choose a wig well, it can look very good!! Just don't expect to find an amazing, realistic-looking wig for like $15 or something.

.; Sorry about the length of the post, o-hohoho

Jibrille
07-13-2002, 09:56 PM
whether its for grey cover up or not the temporary stuff is generally just like it sounds it should be, your hair lightens for a bit and just gradually gets darker till its back to normal. if anything the stuff usually washes out faster than you want it to. i bought it on accident once... -.- lol

Rosiel
07-14-2002, 10:32 AM
Here is the advice of someone with about 35 inches of hair on her head... and who saw you walk by at AX (so I know your hair color). ^__^

> I was actually thinking about the lemon-juice method of lightening my hair

Don't. Just don't. Lemon juice is a hard and abrasive as can be. Worse than bleach. Your hair will be straw after it.

> I've never heard of this shampoo that brings out highlights

Those are shampoo with bleach. They will damage your hair with repeated use. Kind of like going to the pool every day.
Not as much as the lemon mind you.

And the results are unremarquable. Your hair color won't get to Allen-color.

Temporary dyes like someone mentionned only work for a darker color than your own. The only way to go lighter is to bleach.

Anything you do on your hair now WILL have to be maintained at the roots because you can't re-dye all that much on long hair without losing length and/or going strawlike on the ends.

Basically you could do thin all over streaks. You WILL NOT get Allen haircolor from your color, it's too dark, but you will get a lot blonder. This only needs to be maintained once every 2-3 months. But it's expensive.

(Don't do it at home you'll get a chunky look that won't make your hair look lighter overall)

The only way to get Allen hair (which is almost platinum) is with an all-over bleach. You have to get used to the idea of retouching roots every 2 weeks to a month, and having fragile hair that needs a lot of conditioning.

Oh, and, no daily hair-washings.

All in all: Your hair is beautiful. GET A WIG. =)

Tenshi
07-14-2002, 12:40 PM
Thanks everyone for all your help! I think I am going to go with a wig. . .I know not being accurate on that point will bug me, and I found some pretty good deals on eBay ^_^.

Rosiel
07-15-2002, 10:32 AM
Yay! You have such pretty hair, you shouldn't do anything to it you would not want to keep long-term.

I almost bleached my own hair white for Rosiel but a friend stopped me (bless her heart)!