PDA

View Full Version : Black Anime Characters

TheAnimePimp
01-05-2003, 10:43 PM
Does anyone know any black anime characters to cosplay as. They are sort of non-existant.

Radical Urd
01-05-2003, 11:53 PM
I ALREADY DID THIS THREAD!!!!! :P lol okay are you looking for girls or boys?

Nadeshiko
01-06-2003, 01:04 AM
Seeing that your profile says you are male, okay...

- Akio from Utena
- Bowie (?) from Robotech
- Domino, Shaft from Cowboy Bebop (ep 17: Mushroom Samba)

all i can think of at the top of my head. ^_^;

Lightning Count
01-06-2003, 01:18 AM
....don't forget that tanned characters are good choices as well:

Aisha from Outlaw Star

Anthy from Utena

The TV cowboy in the commercials (don't know his name) from Cowboy Be-Bop

Edward from Cowboy Bee-Bop

Merel(sp?) from Escaflowne

Mihoshi from Tenchi Muyo

Mei Lan Chang
01-06-2003, 02:03 AM
This is gonna sound almost offensive, but Mr. Popo from DBZ.

Quinn
01-06-2003, 07:24 PM
Also Tanya Natphydad is African ,she from the Battle Athletes series

Troppy
01-06-2003, 09:22 PM
As far as video games go... Barret and Rude from FFVII, and Dona from FFX...

KnuxieChan
01-06-2003, 09:30 PM
Daniel 'Bo' Dollis from Parasite Eve 1
Rupert Brodrick from Parasite Eve 2

^^;

Radical Urd
01-06-2003, 09:45 PM
I didn't see that you're a dude, sowwie ^_^;;;;; anywho, not too many to chose from, why do you only want black chara's you could do any chara skin shouldn't matter, just as long as you do it in style *puts on shades*

Romann
01-07-2003, 12:46 AM
Urd's right...I'm going to Katsucon as Allen Schezar from Escaflowne, and I'm a black female (talk about opposites) but I'm planning to strut my stuff and work that costume like no other :D

edit~ there was that one sailor guy from Blue Sub 6...and theres the dud from FFXIII...umm Kiros! I think...

soshi
01-07-2003, 12:52 AM
that's awsme, Noir! I love Allen. XD

on another note, what's with all these threads about such-and-such-race characters? it's just like how much you weigh: it doesn't matter. just cosplay who you like and have fun.

psythe
01-07-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Troppy
As far as video games go... Barret and Rude from FFVII, and Dona from FFX...

Yes! Do a Rude, I'm doing Reno and we always need more Turks! :D

Nadeshiko
01-07-2003, 07:15 PM
whoops. ^^:;; sorry about the gender confusion. ^_^;;; wah! it was early in the morning when I typed it, nyu.

Kurai
06-22-2003, 01:21 AM
Captain Nemo and Prince Neo from The Secret of Blue Water. ^^

SasukeNinja
06-22-2003, 01:50 AM
Chocolove From Shaman King!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hes cool :+P
then:
Barret---ff7
thats all i can think of right now sorry not much but i tryed hehe

Yui
06-22-2003, 03:15 AM
Rude rocks >^_^< Um, and Kiros too!

And then there's Hugo from Suikoden III...ack, I love him so, but I could never cosplay him for I am too pale...

Wanderer Serge
06-22-2003, 03:29 AM
http://www.stuart.iit.edu/students/adamadr/images/banime.htm

There are a bunch of good ones there. His page hasn't been updated in a few years though. n.n;;

Kira_Yamato
06-22-2003, 05:10 AM
The problem with anime is that it tends to depict those of african descent (trying to stay PC) very stereotypically, almost to the point of being offensive.

Oh, but here's an idea: edgar from Macross 0!

RadicalDreamer
06-22-2003, 08:27 AM
I've seen plenty of characters being cosplayed by poeple of a totally different skin color and work out great. It's all how well the costume works out, really.

SephirothXer0
06-22-2003, 11:43 AM
Dona Dona from Way of the Samurai

EvilMoogleQueen
06-22-2003, 11:53 AM
random question:

is anthy black? I always thought she was indian.

Radical Urd
06-22-2003, 11:56 AM
Yea she's indian, most of all dark skinned charas are really indian alot lately.

Jehuty
06-22-2003, 05:48 PM
Yes it is a problem but there're many out there, well not enough..........~___~ but a good enough selection anyway. You can still cosplay whoever you want but if you want to be that accurate you could do like me and do costumes that you don't see much of that characters skin or face or mecha ^_^. Suggestions.....uh
Yoshimitsu_Tekken and Soul Calibur
Hanna_ Rurouni kenshin
Hanzo_ Samurai Showdown
Astroth_Soul Calibur

lol I could remeber when I origianlly planned to cosplay this possed a threat, at that time I thought of doing an "extra" like a Gundam or OZ pilot you can where the costume and not be a specific character just an extra then your skin color wouldn't really matter.

Arch_Angel_Mika
06-23-2003, 11:38 AM
Hey, I saw a Team Rocket background guy that was Black. And how about that ugly, big-lipped dude from Macross Plus?

Recca-kun
06-23-2003, 12:44 PM
Arch_Angel_Mika: That doesn't sound like a flattering description for someone to try. ;) Although on the Macross note there is the keyboardist of Fire Bomber in 7 (what was his name?).

AnimePimp: If you don't mind being a game character instead of anime there should be more; some examples include:
Seth, Heavy D, and Lucky Glauber (King of Fighters)
Samus, and then anyone from the Karaya Clan have darker skin tones i.e. Hugo and Lulu (Suikoden III)
Hauser (Suikoden II)
Representative Helmar (Xenosaga: Episode I)
And then some of the characters in Guilty Gear/X/XX have alternate outfits that would work as well.

Jehuty
06-23-2003, 01:47 PM
Venom from guilty gear XX that's what i'm doing ^_^

http://www.gamegen.com/fightgen/characters/venom-ggx.html

Nachoman
06-23-2003, 10:20 PM
Sempai Tamiya from OMG!, but unfortunately is very simple, so it will really be hard to distiguish who you are cosplaying as if you aren't in a OMG! group.
And I have my own problems, too. I'm a half-breed, so I don't fit in either black or white characters...

!*Jessi-Chan*!
06-23-2003, 11:50 PM
Cosplay what you FEEL! I'm quite sure you'll look good whatever you do! I'm crossplaying Yoh from Shaman King. And a lot of people in my S.K. group are *shocker! NOT!* Black! All of them actually. But...i was planning on doing Caska from Berserk! (she's black. I'm sure of it! lol) But i'm sorry, i don't know any males....

Edit: In case no one knew, i'm a black female! ^_^X

Leon
06-26-2003, 11:33 PM
I completely understand this dilemma (I, too, am an African-AMerican that wishes to cosplay), and a possibility is to not let race be a barrier when choosing a cosplay costume. In fact, a friend's helping me make a costume of one of the characters from Yu Yu Hakusho!!

I've wondered about this myself, and I've decided to cosplay as both Black and non-Black characters when I start hitting cons this fall. I didn't make it to ACen, but I do intend to show up at a con sometime this year and cosplay. I still intend to be Barret, and I might be one of the Shotokans from the Street Fighter series...

HitenMitsurugi
07-06-2003, 06:12 PM
I think a good Barret would be nice, and his outfit seems fairly easy to make.

darkriku
07-07-2003, 11:04 AM
i know what you can do well he is not necessary black buty you can be Pedro from Excel saga i mean all you need is like a purple shirt, working hat, white gloves, and some jeans and some boots, it wont be difficault at all so why dont u try taht

Ranma Saotome
07-07-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by HitenMitsurugi
I think a good Barret would be nice, and his outfit seems fairly easy to make.

Quite easily. :)

<-- 2nd Barret Wallace cosplayer. ^_^

KANEDA
07-08-2003, 06:24 AM
there's always JOKER from AKIRA...
my friend Mark cosplayed him at AX.
dig on some of the pics....

http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&stype=1&si=&perpage=24&sort=2&stype=&password=&ppuser=375

kdthompson
07-08-2003, 01:45 PM
Heh...I perfectly understand the question. Being an African American female myself, I wouldn't mind using my skin tone to my advantage in costumes. But yeah, like everyone is saying, it doesn't really matter, considering my favorite character to cosplay as is Tsuzuki Asato from the series Yami no Matsuei, and I look nothing like a 26 year old Japanese male.

(And personally, even if you are a male, Crossplay isn't a bad thing. Personally, since so many girls do it, myself included, I think it's most honorible when a guy shows up cosplaying a female chara, espeically if its a serious attempt at the costume)

Here's some suggestions that I'm plan to cosplay or have cosplayed as:
Brock from Pokemon (this is a real easy costume to put together on a weekend)
Male Katarl Katarl from Tenchi Muyo (I know in whatever episode Ashia Klan Klan is introduced in, there are several males in that ep doing various things, but you're probably only going to be recognized as Ashia; I've seen some very good male ones here and there, boobs and all. *must hunt down that male crossplay site and post it in her singature*)
Dark Link from Legend of Zelda (I know he's BLACK black...but it's still a fun and easy character to cosplay. I got alot of complements at AZ 2003 even without the face paint)
Ganondorf of Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker
Random female Gerudo
(they're all fairly dark skinned, but Ganondorf is the only male one)
Ansem from Kingdom Hearts (georgeous guy with white hair)
K' Prime from King of Fighters (another georgeous guy with white hair)
Wakka from Final Fatasy X/X-2/Kingdom Hearts (he's Hawaiian...kinda...))

I need to refind my 'to do' list... I know of more that weren't mentioned already....

allyunion
07-13-2003, 04:24 AM
Need to post a list somewhere... maybe somewhere on cosplay.com for like costume ideas based on gender, race, height, hair, etc.

Rubber_Gundam
07-13-2003, 08:43 AM
You guys picked almost all of the chara's i could think of. But what about the two black cyborgs from cyborg 009? I wouldn't go as that but it is a possibility.

I would probably go as the chef,

RedPikachu
07-13-2003, 07:27 PM
there was an african-american military officer in the anime Memories....

Bleu
07-14-2003, 01:32 AM
I agree with Leon. I am African-American as well. If you allow yourself to worry too much about the color or race of a character, you'll really limit yourself. I've only been cosplaying for about 3 years now, so I'm still fairly new to it. But yes, I've found there's not much good representation of our race in anime.

However, I've decided that I'm going to cosplay who I like because, first of all I've never managed to outgrow playing dress-up :), and secondly, if I REALLY like a character I'm going to cosplay it, so long as I can pull the costume together well enough.

It's worked really well for me. So far, I've cosplayed Pirotess (Record of Lodoss Wars), Dr. Ryuuko Saito (Generator Gawl), Macross fighter pilot, and Maleficent (Kingdom Hearts).

Okay, so...Maleficent is green. But I'm sure you get the point. Yeh?

Next year I'm thinking of doing Faye Valentine as one of my costumes. Don't know on the others yet.

Ranma Saotome
07-14-2003, 04:29 AM
You do Faye, I'll meet you as Spike. ^_~

CrimsonYoukai
07-14-2003, 04:10 PM
Um. I was about to a thread like this. But...I don't know now. Its because Im female...and petite. So do you think its okay with you guys if I can make a seperate thread for only "Tanned female or male characters". ^__^;; Im not african thats why, and the heap of characters you posted got confusing for me.

Erm. To stay in topin in this thread. Um....You can do the Indian guy from Wild Arms 3. or his brother. lol. I forgot his name. *smile*

tenchie14
07-17-2003, 06:09 PM
Does any one know where i can get a tenchi muyo light hawk armor costume.

CosplayerGabi
07-18-2003, 12:21 AM
on another note, what's with all these threads about such-and-such-race characters? it's just like how much you weigh: it doesn't matter. just cosplay who you like and have fun

Well personally I can say it's because I want to have the chance to look dead on as a character. It doesn't mean I won't do non dark characters, I do that all the time. It's sort of like if you had short blonde hair and didn't want to fool with wigs you look at Sailor Uranus or Yui Hongo. Well then again maybe it's not like that :) But can you see what I mean a little?
It's a cool little edge to add to a costume if you can. Like having the same eye color, or hair color, or height, or build as someone you are trying to portray.
All in all though... just have fun!!!!

Apsara
07-19-2003, 06:14 AM
I don't have a drop of African blood in me (Though some times I wish I did. It'd make my life easier.), but my skin is a dark golden honey and it's very difficult for me to find costumes that are identifiable as belonging to THIS character and not some random person.

So...my first costume was of Mamiya Chida of Utena. Everyone thought I was Anthy...@_@ I dropped crossplaying right there and then. I couldn't be masculine enough to pass for a guy. My next one was of Dona (FFX & FFX-2) and I was a hit.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid70/p5ed63162c7d26f81634bad0beda8f4a5/fba27732.jpg

I'm now sticking to females with dark skin. I've got a whole bunch of them lined up. My cosplaying life is good. ^_^ Next one up is Pirotess!

Males with dark skin (Or is so tanned, he's in extreme danger of getting skin cancer.):
. Dark Shneider - BASTARD!
. Kotaru (Tengu Twins) - Yami no Matsuei
. Kiros - FF8 (I've never seen a dark skinned Kiros. Light skinned, females yes, but no dark skinned males yet.)
. Akio Otori - Utena (Sexy Man-Beast! Why won't anyone cosplay him?!)
. Orphen - Orphen
. Um...the hero of the new Gundam Series.

Strangely enough almost all of these dark skinned dudes have either white or gold hair. o.O

Apsara

AKIRAJoker
07-20-2003, 06:25 PM
Yeah, there aren't too many, but there are some good suggestions on this board, interestingly enough I had the opposite problem, I'm the one who did the Joker costume KANEDA mentioned, and I'm actually a very pale white man! lol, that took a ton of makeup to pull off.

Good luck though!
~Mark

cyte00
07-21-2003, 11:57 AM
Arachne and Kurai from Angel Sanctuary. : )

cyte00
07-21-2003, 12:37 PM
Oh, I forgot to add, Lion from Shamanic Princess and there's also Jet, from Cowboy Bebop.

Vermillius
08-08-2007, 03:04 PM
There are plenty of Black Video Game Characters, but noteworthy Black Anime characters? Not so many.

Black Anime Characters

Male

Mohammed Avdol (Jojo's Bizzare Adventure Anime/Manga)
Afro (Afro Samurai Anime/Manga)
Ninja Ninja (Afro Samurai Anime/Manga)
Bob Makihara (Tenjo Tenge Anime/Manga)
Tousen Kaname (Bleach Anime/Manga)
Eleusis Ra Alwar (Nadia : Secret of Blue Water Anime)
Emperor Neo (Nadia: Secret of Blue Water Anime)
Kevin "Ace" Koss (Gold Digger Manga)
"George" Shimaki (Gantz Manga)
Bowie Emerson/Grant (Robotech - Southern Cross)
Akagi Takenori (Slam Dunk Anime/Manga)
Vector (Battle Angel Alita/GUNNM Anime/Manga)
Edgar Lasalle (Macross Zero Anime)

Patrick "Panther" Spencer (Eyeshield 21 Anime/Manga)
Mamoru Banba (Eyeshield 21 Anime/Manga)
Kiminari Harao (Eyeshield 21 Anime/Manga)
Pharoah Atem (Yu-gi-oh! Anime/Manga)
Mahad (Yu-gi-oh! Anime/Manga)
Mage Seto (Yu-gi-oh! Anime/Manga)
Bakura the Thief (Yu-gi-oh! Anime/Manga)
Malik Ishtar (Yu-gi-oh! Anime/Manga)
Rishid/Odion Ishtar (Yu-gi-oh! Anime/Manga)
Banba (Burn-Up! Anime)
Duo ("Program" Animatrix Anime)
Chief Todo (Bubblegum Crisis Anime)
Jean-Patrick "Maestro" Shapplin (RahXephon Anime)
Jason Ozuma (Hajime no Ippo Anime/Manga)

Female

Nadia Ra Alwar (Nadia: Secret of Blue Water Anime)
Claudia Lasalle/Grant (Robotech - SDF Macross Anime)
Shihouin Yoruichi (Bleach Anime/Manga)
Urd (Oh! My Goddess Anime/Manga)
Penny Pincer (Gold Digger Manga)
Isis/Ishizu Ishtar (Yu-gi-oh! Anime/Manga)
Zafal Takie (Battle Angel Alita/GUNNM Anime/Manga)
Pirotess (Record of Lodoss War Anime/Novel)
Mihoshi (Tenchi Muyo Anime)
Midler (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Anime/Manga)
Mariah (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Anime/Manga)
Lisa Vanette ("Scoop Chase Lisa" Bubblegum Crisis Anime)

I am sure there are a few more...but these are the only ones that came to mind. Shame on you guys for not reading Jojo's Bizarre Adventure!

eva_edwards
05-22-2008, 01:32 PM
I don't really see any black anime characters, except for one, he was a general in the U.S army and the anime is Stink Bomb

sweet_magic
05-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Here's a master list so there won't be people repeating the same characters. ^__^

http://killabeeswarm.scribblewiki.com

CrimsonYoukai
05-22-2008, 03:58 PM
its kinda funny. The wiki says "black" characters, but not all of them are black or LOOK black. They are tanned characters. I think people of darker skin tone would not think this is for them or something. Cuz filipino or mexican characters? Considered black? The person who made that list should atleast change it to dark/tan skinned characters. Easier to google. :O

But yea, just my opinion. Nice list tho!

KillaBeeSwarm
05-22-2008, 06:15 PM
its kinda funny. The wiki says "black" characters, but not all of them are black or LOOK black. They are tanned characters. I think people of darker skin tone would not think this is for them or something. Cuz filipino or mexican characters? Considered black? The person who made that list should atleast change it to dark/tan skinned characters. Easier to google. :O

But yea, just my opinion. Nice list tho!

The very first paragraph at the top of the wiki says that the list is not just black characters, but brown and tanned. And it also states that it's not an American centric view of the word black (where black means african-american). But I changed the title in case people don't read that overview paragraph.

XDestinedX
11-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Scar from Full Metal Alchemist,

or

Paladin Alexander Anderson from Hellsing.

Kawaii Spider
11-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Kaname and Yoruichi from Bleach have already been mentioned, but the Arrancar have Mira Rose and Halibel as well, as well as Zommari...

liger0sniper
11-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Not sure if Buccha from Air Gear or Ball from O-Parts Hunter/666Satan have been mentioned...

chany
11-23-2008, 12:40 PM
guy characters i can think of are...
rude from ff7
Bobu from Speed Grapher
Raven from Tekken

girl character i can think of are
yoruichi from Bleach
Sinobu from No more Heroes
ohhh there's one in Soul eater but cant think of her name...

Solai Tsukada
11-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Another girl african character is Elena from Street Fighter 3: Third Strike. Then there's also Dudley and Balrog from the Street Fighter Series.

BTW, isn't Rude white? :confused:

krazzykamaali
05-18-2009, 04:59 AM
actually now a days there are a lot of cosplays for guys and girls that are black... the times have changed since 2003.

if you're looking for girls to cosplay, check out my blog post... i have some pictures and names of different anime characters. i'll probably add more sometime in the future

http://krazzykamaali.wordpress.com/

GiveMeYaoi13
02-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Theres sid from soul eater he was black for like 2 episodes XD.
ps his cosplay is easy to make. A muscle shirt, pants w/ chain, and if your hair is brown, braid it:sunny:

xiiatherandom
02-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Guys:
Simon from Durarara
Scar from FMA(Kind of)

Girls:
Rose from FMA(2003 anime)
Yoruichi(Sp?) from Bleach

shiala
11-03-2012, 03:07 AM
Dude. Domino, Shaft, and Coffee from Cowboy Bebop's "Mushroom Samba".
In fact, just watch Cowboy Bebop; there's a bunch of black anime characters there, both in the show and the movie.

I would also consider Brilliant Dynamites Neon (Trigun).