PDA

View Full Version : What makes this con different?

Daaku_Tai
03-15-2005, 05:09 PM
Hi,

I've never been to this before and I am thinking of it this year. I was wondering and I'm sure most whom have not attended this before may refuse to attend this might be wondering the same thing, but what makes this convention different then Anime North or any other convention in Ontario. I know this is a repeat post in the NAF forum.. But I'm thinking of going to both this year instead of American cons and I was just wondering what makes them special, what can you offer me that other con's can't and why I should attend.

Thanks GCAF peoples. ^^

Kitchen
03-15-2005, 05:50 PM
Well other then the fact it's the largest first time con when it comes to events. Uhh 250 of them to be exact and 10 contests...It's the first time 3 day con that is actually working..since NAF's fallout of 3 days....Have you've seen their website at all?

Tsukasa_1
03-15-2005, 10:24 PM
not how I would have replied x.x

Daaku_Tai
03-15-2005, 10:48 PM
You may not of replied like that but at least he answered some of my question Tsukasa. No I havent Kitchen, but 250 events..that's alot and I can't see the website I have Netscape. I have a few more questions for you:

1. What kind events are being introduced?
2.How will this run?
3. Who is this done by?
4. Are you apart of the staff, Kitchen?
5. How do I participate in events?
6. When does it start and end?
7.Where is Niagara?
8. Why is this event being called a Festival more then a convention?
10. Why should I go?

Chibik3r0
03-15-2005, 10:56 PM
This thread has nothing to do with cosplay.

Daaku_Tai: If you have personal questions about the con, seek answers to them through either the con website or contact someone who works for GCAF. This is not the place to ask open questions about why one convention should be attended over another. This forum is for COSPLAY.

We've had too many problems with the Canadian forums in recent days and this is doing nothing to help the situation. This isn't going to get better anytime soon.

Daaku_Tai
03-15-2005, 11:03 PM
But I see other people on the site talking just about the cons, I don't see why this is any different. I just have questions about the con if you didn't notice Chibi..you don't have to be all high and mighty about it, this fourm does no harm.

Chibik3r0
03-15-2005, 11:07 PM
But I see other people on the site talking just about the cons, I don't see why this is any different. I just have questions about the con if you didn't notice Chibi..you don't have to be all high and mighty about it, this fourm does no harm.

Unfortunately, this forum is called cosplay.com. Hence, it is for cosplay, not general anime convention chatter, as convenient as it may be.

Anime conventions/festivals have websites for a reason: to answer your questions. It isn't their fault that your Internet and browser cannot support their sites. Feel free to talk to anyone responsible for this convention via Private Messaging through the forums, out of view of the public.

And sorry if you don't enjoy my "high and mighty" attitude.

Daaku_Tai
03-15-2005, 11:11 PM
Didn't I just say if I could I would of done that already. Plus I'm not blaming anyone. If you didn't notice 90% of these threads on this site are about the convention itself. I can name a whole bunch if you shall wish. Now leave me alone, I need these answered and right now this is the only way I can, bare with me.

Amy the Yu
03-15-2005, 11:16 PM
Didn't I just say if I could I would of done that already. Plus I'm not blaming anyone. If you didn't notice 90% of these threads on this site are about the convention itself. I can name a whole bunch if you shall wish. Now leave me alone, I need these answered and right now this is the only way I can, bare with me.

Please read the forum rules on the main site before posting like this.

If you take a look through all the convention forums, nearly all the threads pretain to cosplay related topics, whether it's the masq or people asking to find a place to change during the con or photoshoots for cosplay groups.

If you search around the forums (NAF and GCAF), you will find many of your questions answered on other threads. It might be convenient for you to just post a new thread, but this is against the site rules.

heki-chan
03-15-2005, 11:32 PM
Umm, what's wrong with his thread?

There are several sections to Cosplay.com's forums.

>>Cosplay

>>US Conventions

>>Canada Conventions

>>Non-Cosplay

>>Members Forums

Aren't we being overly nitpicky here?

Random example from Katsu's forum:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=54339
Its about flu, and the spreading of said flu. Cosplay related? I think not.

.....can we all not be so...hostile (if that's the correct word to use...) and edgey about evvverything? It's not necessary ^_^

Traxbaby
03-15-2005, 11:41 PM
I agree Heki, people need to stop blowing things into messes, it's a harmless topic and theres hundreds like this..I don't want this turning into a huge fight just leave this topic alone inless you have something useful to add to it.

Like me: I think you can expect alot out this con just like NAF, I've been to Naf and it was a blast and I'm gonna go to GCAF..Just come and see and don't mind Amy and Chibi, don't let their neg's stop you, i mean you could be missing alot of fun and if you don't go because of the negs from anyone or you know what to any con for that matter and people are putting forms up about how great it was, your gonna be feeling bad that you missed it.

Now I can answer the event question since I alaways look at it and it seems it's been updated, these are just the main events..of course they can't put 250 up but yeah:

Panels and Workshops
DDR Danceathon
Dead or Alive Fightathon
Cosplayer Search
Charity Auction
Are You Ready To Party?
Artist Galleria
Cosplay Beach Volleyball/Handball
Big Screen Movies
Anime Music Video Contest
Masquerade
Japanamonium
Yugioh! Touruments
Beyblade Touruments
Pokemon Touruments
24 Video Programming
Garden City Asian Popculture Awards
Dealers Room
Asian Starr
Fanfiction Readathon

That's answer to one, enjoy!

Chibik3r0
03-15-2005, 11:46 PM
Just want to defend myself for a moment ^_^

I'm not being negative to GCAF in any way, shape or form. I just believe there are better outlets to ask ones question. I guess I am being a bit anal... I'm just getting sick and tired of every thread seemingly turning into an all out war. I'd hate to see what non-Canadians think of our forums when we're supposed to be the "friendly" nation.

I just feel that this thread could be quickly heading downhill if people continue to bash each other's conventions and turning into a convention war. It's easy to promote one's convention while not putting down others ^_^

Tsukasa_1
03-15-2005, 11:48 PM
Well put chibi, thats the point i was trying to get across in the NAF thread.

Traxbaby
03-15-2005, 11:52 PM
I'm not being negative to GCAF in any way, shape or form. I just believe there are better outlets to ask ones question. I guess I am being a bit anal... I'm just getting sick and tired of every thread seemingly turning into an all out war. I'd hate to see what non-Canadians think of our forums when we're supposed to be the "friendly" nation.

I just feel that this thread could be quickly heading downhill if people continue to bash each other's conventions and turning into a convention war. It's easy to promotes one convention while not putting down others ^_^

No no I didn't mean you were being neg against GCAF...but you were abit anal to someone just looking for help. That's what I mean,I didn't mean it to sound the way you think it did T_T. Now I know what you mean, I'm sick of it too. I mean were all people who are fans and all attend cons and we for one have feelings.

I swear if someone starts another fight I am gonna lash out at them,because it's childish, stupid and I'm not the only one who's had it over their head with hearing it. Maybe we should all get together in a camp style fashion and sing karaoke and roast marshmellows with huge sorries and patch ups.

I think instead of fighting we should have a slumber party and watch anime all night because at least at that we can all agree on..but then again...this may turn into a HE"S MINE bishounen fight or an fight about who's right..oh you know what I mean u_u;

Whoa...was that off topic! Gomen nasai minna-san...Traxbaby wa bakayaro desu. X_X

Eleryth
03-16-2005, 12:31 AM
It's really cool how people don't want to start another bashing thread - that's awesome.

But I do think the question can be answered without problems. There is a difference between informing one of the differences between conventions and bashing one of them. It would be nice if the websites worked on all computers, but sometimes it happens. It's also nice to get answers from people who have actually attended the cons as long as they're not putting down another convention in the process.

[The following information is in reference to NO CONVENTION AT ALL - I MADE IT UP]

Eg. We're a small convention, locally run, so we aim more for the "family" feel. Something we noticed when we attended convention x was the lack of the type of event where "blah blah blah", so we decided to try that out at our convention this year and see how it goes.

VS

Convention X sucks! Their programming bites. It was all mecha and magical girls. At convetion Y, we will make sure we show a *variety* of shows to appeal to everyone.

[The above information was MADE UP BY ME and in NO WAY refers to existing conventions. It's only an example (hope that covers my butt...).]

It's all in how you present it. People can promote/explain without resorting to name calling or bashing. I see it all the time on tv/in the newspaper.

As for Anime North's website, I believe it's down occasionally b/c they're changing servers. There's also a forum where you can ask questions; it's located here (http://p197.ezboard.com/bteahouseofthemaplemoon). I'm sure if the other cons have forums, they can provide the url for you. I've never been to any of the others, only AN, so that's the only one I can provide.

nuriko001
03-16-2005, 01:34 AM
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH listen* whistling of the wind* nooobody really cares, everyone is making such big issues over personal opinions and trival matter.. what we all have to do is sit back.. and let time bring the cons to us.. you don't want to go.. it's all good don't go, don't let that make others mad.. you want to go great go. have fun. what con is better.. who cares, they're there cause they're there. we're canadain don't froget that. we're suppose to be some of the most friendly people on the planet.. so cant' we be that on cosplay.com?

shhhhhhhh listen to the cars honking, the birds chirpping and the snow plows snowing. it's all good.shhhhhhhhh

ZiggyB
03-16-2005, 02:09 AM
Ok that's enough everyone.

This thread topic has gone way off topic and it will be closed.