PDA

View Full Version : The Sandman

DanL33t
01-06-2003, 03:46 AM
I'm a huge fan of Neil Gaiman's Sandman, and just wondering if anyone did sandman's seven Endless in costume. They're so cool! Who woulda thought Death would be a perky gothrocker chick. It may not be anime, but it's no reason to rule it out of bounds.

Anyone else feel this way?

Dia
01-06-2003, 04:59 PM
Actually, I was perhaps thinking of doing a Death costume fro Dragon*Con this year, or maybe Delerium (though, the half-shaved hair might be a bit of a problem...). I adore all of Gaiman's stuff to no end ^_^

peaseblossom
01-06-2003, 05:35 PM
Neverwhere rocks!! I haven't finished it yet, but OMG!!!!

Alexeil
01-06-2003, 05:51 PM
There was a really cute Delirium cosplayer at the Pittsburgh comicon last year. She even had fish shaped balloon, since Del has a pet fish she walks on a leash sometimes ^_^ Neil Gaimen is planned to be a guest at Pitts comicon this year, so I expect to see several more Endless walking around.

eva_guy01
01-08-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Alexeil
There was a really cute Delirium cosplayer at the Pittsburgh comicon last year. She even had fish shaped balloon, since Del has a pet fish she walks on a leash sometimes ^_^ Neil Gaimen is planned to be a guest at Pitts comicon this year, so I expect to see several more Endless walking around.

A group did the SANDMAN characters last December 22 at the Culture Crash Comic Convention and they rock! Check out the attachment! They did the Sandman Dream Eaters version, Death, Delirium and Destruction. ^_^ Delirium also has a fish on a leash and she goes around blowing bubbles too.

-----------------
"When Death comes for you, don't forget to smile"

eva_guy01 [http://www.mechacosplaytips.tk]

DanL33t
01-09-2003, 05:57 AM
COOL ! :)
That's what I wanna see. It's all about the love of the character and the comic/anime/game/whatever.

The white makeup must have been a bitch. Using any at all, and walking around and around at cons could make one nice and sweaty, esp. at Anime Expo last year (2002) when it was hotter than hell.

I have no idea how to approach this problem, since I am no expert with makeup.

Suggestions anyone?

Alaria
01-09-2003, 06:38 AM
well, get white character makeup, use powder to matte it and keep it from getting sweaty and thus slide off, and make sure to stay cool ^^ mebbe integrate a fan into ur costume or just carry around an electric one. good thing about expo is most of the stuff is inside

Hikaruchan
01-09-2003, 11:04 AM
Someone posting on this board had a nice avatar as them as Death. Endless cosplay is great.

Sailor Naboo
02-01-2003, 11:04 PM
I did two versions of Death at Sakura Con last year (2002). I did a regular version and the "chibi" version from "The Little Endless Storybook."

http://www.sailornaboo.com/sakuracon2002/

The pics are under the pics of me in Kimono

DanL33t
02-02-2003, 01:43 AM
Just cuz some comic's not anime or japped out doesn't mean it's crap. Anime lacks a good (read: variable) sense of visual style that is found in comics like Sandman. Anyone can draw a pretty picture. Not everyone has style.

Chibi Death? Who woulda thunk it?
Lucky for you, you're very pale and didn't need very much makeup.

And congratulations on your engagement!

eva_guy01
02-02-2003, 02:43 AM
Kawaii Sailor Naboo! (can i call you that? :))

Hehehe, you make a great Death cosplayer, with the natural white skin and all. And if you get to have kids, you can get them as Sandman chibi characters. ^_____^

Neil Gaiman made an incredible job in making Sandman an Artistic Style! Not to mention making a brand new kind of mythology that rivals Tolkien. Maybe this coming Sci-Fi & Fantasy Con i'll cosplay as the Corinthian, get a couple of fake plastic fangs and stick it to my eyes, hehehe.

Oh, and congratulations with your engagement as well. :)

Robert Wong
[http://www.mechacosplaytips.tk]

Sarcasm-hime
02-26-2003, 03:49 PM
My husband and I will be dressing as Morpheus (Dream Hunters and Ramadan versions) at Worldcon this year.

ReiChan
03-17-2003, 02:09 AM
<------- ^o^

I'm kinda resurrecting a dead thread here but....I would love to meet up with other Sandman cosplayers, if any are going to Comic-con this year....

Kitzune
08-30-2003, 11:45 AM
^^ I have done 3 of deaths costumes, one Delirium costume, daniel, and morphus! I love those costumes^^ god i have to get my pics up soon!

~kitzune

duck
08-30-2003, 08:06 PM
Well, technically, the Endless are now in manga form, so - nyeh.=)

That said, I think that Hitori wants to do an endless group sometime.

I have a couple Death costumes I want to do, any excuse to wear a black corset...(so I figure that eventually, I'll do all her black corset outfits...within reason.)

neko_trin
09-01-2003, 05:24 PM
>D i looooove the Endless

i've gone as death a couple times for halloween. but i really want to do a couple of the costumes from the new manga book (by the same artist that did the chibi ones) some of the ones she designs are to die for! i've also considered Dream/Morpheus because he's just that damn cool!

oh and when i get better at making costumes.. i want to do a big plushie Goldie costume. some of you might know what i mean o_o;

Sarcasm-hime
09-02-2003, 02:26 PM
Pics of my Morpheus costumes from Worldcon this past weekend:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=76702&page=2
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=76716&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

There are a few more in my gallery. I was Dream Hunters Morpheus; my hubby was Ramadan Morpheus. ^_^ Unfortunately Neil couldn't stay to see the Masquerade, but he made me promise to send him pictures. XD

Hitori
09-02-2003, 08:11 PM
Yay! Yes, I am planning an Endless group. Possibly Comic Con '04. I'm starting work on mi Desire outfit veri soon (Has anyone seen it done? I'd like to see what other people do) and mi bro is going to be Morpheus, and mi other brother Destiny. Ducky may do Death w/ us (Yes?) and that's all we have so far. I'll be sure to post pictures when I have them!

Tiirz
09-09-2003, 12:49 AM
I'm thinking about doing the Death's fancy dress from Orpheus for Comic Con '04. I'm still convincing my SO to do a Dream with a helmet (he's a prop builder) or a Daniel. On the other hand, he'd look great as the Amano Dream...

Anyway, we'd love to get together with others if all works out!

The other costumes I know we want to do are Spider Jerusalem and Channon from Transmetropolitan and one other comic pair that I shall be mum about until I get them worked out. ;)

Sarcasm-hime
09-09-2003, 01:36 AM
Oooh, I've never seen a Dream with a helmet! That would be soooooo cool.

One of my other wish-list costumes is Dream's outfit from A Season of Mists where he receives his guests. It's just screaming out for really cool appliqué and embroidery and such...XD

makonurikoryoko
09-09-2003, 03:27 PM
Wow Sarcasm-hime!! Stunning!
XD Oh Sandman is the best comic book ever!! I definitly should think about doing one.. I wish a had a sexy man to dress as Morpheus lol ^^

Chiri
09-09-2003, 04:52 PM
^___^ I would die to see any of the Endless cosplayed ^_^ (especially Death or Delirium *gryns*)

Hanyaan
09-09-2003, 07:04 PM
I'm planning on doing this outfit of Death's from Death: At Death's Door. Most likely it will involve a LOT of black satin...heh heh heh. I love Death, and I'd want to do one of her Sandman outfits, but this one just screams COSPLAY ME PLEASE!!!!! (I saw the outfit, and two seconds later, in the car, said "COSPLAY!")

My friends and I have a group planned. We don't know for when, but we definitely have a Death (me), a Destiny, and a Desire. We're 90% sure we've got a Dream and a Delirium. ^_^

Tiirz
09-09-2003, 10:08 PM
Oh, and I forget to add...Sarcasm-hime, your costumes are great! I just was looking at my action figures of those costumes.

I like tons of detail in costume as well...

Hitori
09-10-2003, 02:56 AM
This is so cool^_^ I can't wait to see all you peoples Sandman outfits. *Do* please post pictures here.
My group doesn't actually have a Destiny, but we figure we'll bring it and ask someone to wear it (it's not as if it's fitted^_^)

Sarcasm-hime
09-10-2003, 03:24 AM
Ehehe...I was also mightily tempted by that Death costume as soon as I saw it...however I doubt I'll ever get around to it as I already have tons of costumes I want to do.

Somebody I know is planning on doing a Daniel costume to go with my Morpheus. It'll be cool...XD

Yikes, I sent a link with pics of our costumes to Neil (I talked with him at Worldcon, but he couldn't make it to the Masquerade so he asked me to send pics) and he posted the link on his journal. My site's traffic has suddenly jumped by like 200%....LOL I hope it doesn't get overloaded or something.

Hitori
09-10-2003, 01:05 PM
I think it'd be soo cool to get Endless pics w/ Neil, that'd just be awesome. *crosses fingures* Here's hoping!
So, I wanted some thoughts on mi plans for Desire... so please help mi out. The problem w/ Desire is most of the outfits are just suits and no one would know who I was, just nondescript. But the other ones, are um... well I wouldn't wear them. Soooooo, I'm thinking: Suit jacket, corsett(note, I shall be strapped and going to the androgynous feel), suit-like pants, and tall boots. Think that would work? Also, what colour should the suit be? I'm thinking a dark red, or maybe maroon.

Sarcasm-hime
09-10-2003, 02:47 PM
Dark red is good...make sure to have your hair slicked back in that dandy way, maybe a rose in your front pocket...a little bit of makeup. Go for a David Bowie look. And powder your skin white.

TheAnarCHris
09-10-2003, 03:21 PM
If all goes according to plan, I should have a small Endless group for this Halloween.

neoangelwink
09-10-2003, 04:16 PM
^_^ i just stared reading the books it really good .^_^ i joy see more sandman cosplay or just dressing up. hehe i would not mind being on of the endless. just not shore whitch one. ^______^

Nightshade
09-10-2003, 07:45 PM
I've wanted to be Death ever since I started collecting the Sandman series back in the late 80's. I think it would be tons of fun to cosplay!

duck
09-10-2003, 09:53 PM
Hitori> Yep, I'll do Death with you guys if you're going to Comic-Con 04'. I'll probably try for one of the outfits from the "At Death's Door" manga.

I think dark red is great for Desire...and really, in a group, it's generally pretty easy to tell who's who(obviously - you're not despair...=)).

I haven't seen any Despair cosplayers...

I'll probably do a generic(black tank and pants outfit), semi-ghetto Death for Halloween to wear around school, I already have all the stuff lying around(except for the ankh earrings, but it's a minor detail that I can either skip or find easily). The hair will have to be my own, which is longer, and less floofy, but it is black and will suffice.

Tiirz
09-11-2003, 01:05 AM
Right now I'm wearing my silver ankh necklace, but then it hasn't been off my neck for a decade except for brief times when the chain has broken. I wondered at one time if I should polish out the tiny scratches from the long wear ( I also tend to nip the end of it when I'm concentrating on something; Alucard and I share that problem of chewing on religious symbols, I guess), but I figured that it's just part of it's charm. It's still very shiny. Silver always gets blindingly shiny when I wear it...

I still need to get the rest of the graphic novels. I have all of the Sandman issues, but it's easier to re-read them in book format. I do have issue 8, The Sound of Her Wings, signed to me from Mr. Gaiman, which was a birthday gift from a friend I'd converted to reading Sandman. :)

Despair...well, you just aren't going to see many coplayers doing her, I'm afraid.

Oh, skin! I did Death for Halloween some years back, and I used a type of liquid white makeup. The same stuff I had to paint all over a 6'2" friend who was doing a white tiger "Puss in Boots" in a bikini and thigh boots. Gads, I wish I had photos of that...

Hitori
09-11-2003, 10:22 AM
Oh thanks, sarcasmhime, I just wanted to know about the outfit (Makeups allset^_^).
I'm so inspired:p

patcher1753
09-11-2003, 01:35 PM
Cool I didnt know there were so many Sandman fans here :) I am planing on Cosplaying Destiny for Halloween . His costume is easy enough I just have to find a big book lol .

Hitori
09-11-2003, 01:57 PM
Hey, what do y'all think about using velvet for mi Desire cosplay? And do you think it's really... egotistical of mi to do it?

Turks
02-09-2004, 06:53 AM
death is a hottie

yakineko oni
02-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Hey, what do y'all think about using velvet for mi Desire cosplay? And do you think it's really... egotistical of mi to do it?

if i remember correctly, there was a lovely black costume Desire wore in "Doll's House" (grabs book off shelf)...
yes. towards the end, when Dream goes to visit Desire in its own realm. the outfit with cat ears would look really good in velvet.

Also, there was another awesome costume Desire wore.. can't remember what book.. i think it was "Brief Lives". Desire is wearing a very nice white suit with a black tie. that might not look so good in velvet, but it's a neat outfit anyhow. ^_^

just a few thoughts...

MercilessHeart
02-12-2004, 08:32 AM
I adore the Sandman series and a cosplay about it is a fantastic idea! Death would be great to play. I used to dress like her back in the day. :thumbsup:

And the best outfit of Desire's is definately that cat ear one. Desire reminds me of one of those really refined Mime's in pin stripe suits.

Anyhow, good luck. ^^

Nevernaut
02-16-2004, 05:01 AM
Way back at Dragon Con '02, me and my firends did the entire Endless, save for Despair.It was kinda last-minute, so we look a little ghetto There's some pics up here, at our Morpheus's livejournal (http://www.livejournal.com/users/ghsthckr/51654.html). That's me, as Destruction.

We're going to do it again, someday. When I get around to building Destruction's armor.

yakineko oni
02-16-2004, 04:51 PM
I haven't seen any Despair cosplayers...

i so wish i could do despair. she is truly underappreciated.

Hanyaan
02-16-2004, 09:39 PM
I'm going to be Death in a group that will eventually have all the Endless except Despair (this year our Destruction and Delirium can't make it to the con). I was crazy enough to do the "Is THIS what you were expecting?" outfit from Death: At Death's Door. It looks like that thing is going to cost me about 300 bucks...XD

I posted a test of my makeup up to my neck in my gallery...it looked so smooth and white in person, yet looks blotchy in photos...XD XD XD

patcher2
02-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Im going to be Destiny at Anime expo this year . Gah its going to be a little hard to do the manga version so many chains "Eye twitch"

Hitori
05-03-2004, 01:07 PM
Reviving the thread! I was Desire this past Saturdai at WonderCon *points to avatar* and I'd like to wear it again at Baycon in three weeks so if anione has critique or suggestions, I shall luv you forever.
HanyaanFaery has a nice shot of it here:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=130136&password=2e467bfa71c8f90206f46e07dc47ece8&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=

FF9Garnet85
05-03-2004, 01:44 PM
I am gonna be deasth at otakon this year also and my friend Alex(The Smack My Ass Girl) is gonna be Delirium

Tenjou
05-03-2004, 04:04 PM
I'm going to be At Death's Door version of Death and my friend is going to be Sandman Death at Animenext this year. >D rock teh deaths >DDD

FF9Garnet85
05-15-2004, 03:17 PM
I am just going to wander around otakon and Balticon as many different versions and originals of Death

Miyabi-
05-27-2004, 04:42 PM
When I took off my Sango costume at Ohayocon last year I unofficially dressed up as modern Death and just walked around. I didn't have the dark hair though...I was tired of wearing wigs!