PDA

View Full Version : Metro toronto convention center (April)

chaosriku
03-21-2005, 07:45 PM
anyone going and wanna meet up??? :chatah:

Katsuyuki_Shiro
03-21-2005, 07:56 PM
What's going on at the MTCC in April?... I don't think I've heard of any events going on at around that time...

hikarilight
03-21-2005, 08:09 PM
What's going on at the MTCC in April?... I don't think I've heard of any events going on at around that time...

It's the Toronto Comic Convention with free admission ><

Amy the Yu
03-21-2005, 08:12 PM
Somehow, the comiccon strikes me as even less worth attending than the anime events. They can't nag about not letting people sit there, but all the same, if it's free, they probably have strings attached somehow. -_- *isn't terribly pleased w/ Hobbystar after the Saturday security stupidities*

Sakura
03-21-2005, 08:13 PM
I wish I could go because I just saw an ad for it today at the comic shop but my boyfriend is taking a break after the 9 hours of driving on saturday ^.^;; free admission is always enticing.

minion-chan
03-21-2005, 08:40 PM
I don't particularily want to go, but if people I know are going, I'll probably end up going ^-^;;

Amy the Yu
03-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Anyone want to go to loiter? No worries about getting booted for it this time, and it's on April 24th and I finish school on the 16th, so got time to move back home plus make a new random costume. ^^

chaosriku
03-21-2005, 08:53 PM
well its good to see some ppl are going lol :bigtu:

Aion117
03-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Anyone want to go to loiter? No worries about getting booted for it this time, and it's on April 24th and I finish school on the 16th, so got time to move back home plus make a new random costume. ^^

I may tag along for this one, me looove comics, me wannnt comics. Well depending on how much cash I have at the time :)

I've been collecting the Ultimate X-Men series... another $100 and I'll have em' all!

Kurai Deux
03-23-2005, 05:59 PM
I saw "free admission" at a Hobbystar event and knew something had to be up so I checked out the site and it's only free IF:

A) You spend $10 at any (participating) Comic Book store and receive a free pass for Comicon

OR

B) You purchase a $10 admission pass at the show and receive a $10 voucher to be used with any retailer at Comicon

And if somehow Hobbystar security manages to be as assious fer this as they were fer MacTAC, I think it would be far less irritating to just make a downtown gathering, which could possibly include stopping by at Comicon, but mostly just a relaxed, hanging-out-without-anal-security-esque event. Dunno, just me $0.02. ^_^;

Amy the Yu
03-23-2005, 09:58 PM
I saw "free admission" at a Hobbystar event and knew something had to be up so I checked out the site and it's only free IF:

A) You spend $10 at any (participating) Comic Book store and receive a free pass for Comicon

OR

B) You purchase a $10 admission pass at the show and receive a $10 voucher to be used with any retailer at Comicon

And if somehow Hobbystar security manages to be as assious fer this as they were fer MacTAC, I think it would be far less irritating to just make a downtown gathering, which could possibly include stopping by at Comicon, but mostly just a relaxed, hanging-out-without-anal-security-esque event. Dunno, just me $0.02. ^_^;

There was also a free pass that came with the MacTAC passes, but not everyone has one since many people loitering...

In this case, anyone care to go crash comicon, piss off Hobbystar and then go wander around downtown? I think people were thinking we were due for another random cosplaying in public. XD

JustinCredible
03-24-2005, 08:05 AM

A) You spend $10 at any (participating) Comic Book store and receive a free pass for Comicon.

OR

OOOohhhhh....

How 'EVIL'

http://www.jaemeelrobinson.com/outlink/kaientai.jpg

'INDEEED'

They must have taken a hint from other evil orgnaizations who use devilish promotional ideas...

minion-chan
03-24-2005, 09:28 AM
There was also a free pass that came with the MacTAC passes, but not everyone has one since many people loitering...

In this case, anyone care to go crash comicon, piss off Hobbystar and then go wander around downtown? I think people were thinking we were due for another random cosplaying in public. XD

-go to con
-piss off hobbystar
-wander downtown
-in cosplay, with friends, randomly

Well that sounds like a damn good day to me! As far as I can tell at this point in time, I'm in so long as other people are :P

Saffi
03-24-2005, 11:59 PM
hmmm... could i muster up enough motivation to make Polgara for this... *ponders* we'll see.... it'd be a good con for her to show up at..

and would give me something to do in april...

Neoengel
03-25-2005, 12:16 AM
OOOohhhhh....

How 'EVIL'

They must have taken a hint from other evil orgnaizations who use devilish promotional ideas...

But the line gets crossed when less than respectable tactics are used to draw people there by only highlighting part of the information. Yes, it is wise to check and make sure you're not being taken for a ride - but it's still a crappy tactic to use.

Oh yeah, I forgot - this is Hobbystar we're talkin' about.

Amy the Yu
03-25-2005, 12:34 AM
But the line gets crossed when less than respectable tactics are used to draw people there by only highlighting part of the information. Yes, it is wise to check and make sure you're not being taken for a ride - but it's still a crappy tactic to use.

Nasty tactic or not, they're in it for the money...not just to please the fans for shits and giggles like most other hobbyist cons around these parts, so gotta admit, shitty to the attendees, but good way to make money.

Hobbystar's gonna rue the next time they manage to get any actual money out of me for a "con", but I still think they're good at raking in the moolah. Just wish they'd put some of that back to use in improving things enough that it might be worth all the money people get stuck paying...and maybe make it worthwhile getting more people to pay instead of just loitering (like me).

Neoengel
03-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Nasty tactic or not, they're in it for the money...not just to please the fans for shits and giggles like most other hobbyist cons around these parts, so gotta admit, shitty to the attendees, but good way to make money.

Hobbystar's gonna rue the next time they manage to get any actual money out of me for a "con", but I still think they're good at raking in the moolah. Just wish they'd put some of that back to use in improving things enough that it might be worth all the money people get stuck paying...and maybe make it worthwhile getting more people to pay instead of just loitering (like me).

Good points. You'd think they'd do something to improve their policies (if they have any) and their action on them.

This is the same company that ignored the sale of illegal weapons in their expo and did nothing to correct it - ultimately the police intervened and there were 20 criminal charges afterwards.

I truly feel their conduct reflects poorly on the more responsible conventions and expos in the Toronto area.

Amy the Yu
03-25-2005, 01:28 PM
This is the same company that ignored the sale of illegal weapons in their expo and did nothing to correct it - ultimately the police intervened and there were 20 criminal charges afterwards.

I truly feel their conduct reflects poorly on the more responsible conventions and expos in the Toronto area.

That's what bugs me about them most. They have no bootleg and illegal stuff policies. I'm sure if a dealer paid for it, they'd let them set up a table to sell crack. >_>

I'm really only knowledgable in the anime and sci-fi sections of their events. Does anyone know if the amount of illegal stuff they let slip past is as scary high as in the anime section?

Neoengel
03-25-2005, 11:08 PM
That's what bugs me about them most. They have no bootleg and illegal stuff policies. I'm sure if a dealer paid for it, they'd let them set up a table to sell crack. >_>

A former con chair of another convention in the area summed up his interpretation of their policy:
"They have your money, they're happy."

I have yet to find an argument against that ;)

JustinCredible
03-26-2005, 08:36 AM

Neo, you know I love you... like a brother or at least a third or second cousin, but I disagree with you with this instance. I think this, as a marketing plan, is excellent and beneficial in theory. I'll inquire about how beneficial it is when I stop by my local comShop (as they are a participating retailer in distrubting the free passes), but on paper... good idea.

KevinB
03-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Just to clarify, this event has nothing to do with the Paradise Comics TORONTO COMICON that is scheduled for the following weekend (April 29-May 1, 2005) at the National Trade Centre:

www.torontocomicon.com

Regrettably, we can't offer free admission because we actually have to make money to pay for our guests (like Warren Ellis, Brian Michael Bendis, David Mack, Phil Jimenez, Jerry Robinson, Adi Granov, Jason Park, etc.) and our show costs.

Also, if you are Canadian and want to vote for the Canadian Comic Book Creator Awards - The Shusters - you have until Saturday April 9th to do so. Ballots will be available at the Ad Astra Mini Comicon that same day (April 9) and the online ballot can be found on the convention site (above).

Thanks,
Kevin

scarlet
03-28-2005, 09:23 PM
so... what was the "free pass" that we got with the March TAC admission? I am totally lost

KevinB
03-28-2005, 10:57 PM
so... what was the "free pass" that we got with the March TAC admission? I am totally lost

You received a pass to get into the Hobbystar (which isn't really made clear on the materials provided) Toronto Comicon "Fan Appreciation Day" (which is to appreciate patrons of the August Canadian National Comic Book Expo) on Sunday April 24.

Guests include Claremont, Kubert, Middleton, Chen and local guests.

It is a larger version of the one day comic shows they put on. Many of the same dealers as the February/March cons plus a few local stores were given a free table if they supported the event by giving away free admission passes.

----

Less than one week later on April 29-May 1 is the Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon. Admission is about $15/day or $32 for the weekend (although there are special rates for teens and students (kids under 10 are free with an adult). It's a full blown comic book show, with dozens of official guests and a full Artist Alley with over 100 creators. Jason Carter (Babylon 5) and Anita La Selva (Earth: Final Conflict) will be signing and promoting their new film. Plus: plenty of new dealer faces and participating comic book companies and studios, exclusive comics from publishers like Top Cow and Speakeasy. Warner Bros. will be on hand promoting the upcoming Batman Begins movie and will have a special promotional Hummer at the show... CGC will be taking submissions for comic book grading....

It is also the home of the first Annual Canadian Comic Book Creator Awards - The Shusters - named after Joe Shuster, Canadian-born co-creator of Superman. Some of you may have come across our Shuster ads which have been running every day in the Toronto Star since March 10th. The awards will be handed out on April 30 at a special ceremony. Look for some of the top Canadian creators in the comic book industry to be in attendance as well as some surprise guests.

There will also be special silent auctions of original art to benefit ACTOR and the CBLDF. There is a special Dragonball Z CCG Tournament with plenty of prizes. There will be panels and creative workshops. There will be a special theatre room where filmmakers will be debuting their independant films as well as classic animation and comic-and-anime related programming. Hopefully there will be plenty of people in costume.

www.torontocomicon.com

Kevin

Elemental
03-28-2005, 11:40 PM
Also a good thing to keep in mind: Hobbystar plans and advertises a con in April and May every year, both with fee admission, and the second always running to counteract Anime North. Every year it's cancelled.

So while I like the snubbing Hobbystar plans, just be aware that odds are they won't be there to be snubbed. ^_^

Edgar Strife
04-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Hello

I was just wondering who's going to the Comic Con on Sunday?

Neoengel
04-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Just to clarify, [ the hobbystar ] event has nothing to do with the Paradise Comics TORONTO COMICON that is scheduled for the following weekend (April 29-May 1, 2005) at the National Trade Centre:

Kevin

Thank you for making that clarification.

Considering their track record, you must wonder about Hobbystar's 'convenient timing' of their free (but not really) event a weekend prior to yours...

KevinB
04-24-2005, 03:25 PM
Well, when I mean "nothing to do", I mean the shows are run by two different organizations. The fact that their thing that went on today exists at all has "everything to do" with us.

archangeli
04-24-2005, 06:48 PM
I saw a group of ppl today walking up Yonge Street wearing a) a Neko hat and b) a bunny ears hat, in long black leather trenchcoats carrying bags from a couple of comic book stores.

at first i scratched my head... then i remembered there was a HS-con ;)

kuko-chan
04-25-2005, 03:50 AM
Wait, so what happened at the MarchTAC? Security issues? I wasn't able to make it. :'(