PDA

View Full Version : Weight and Dieting?

Xx Lulu xX
01-06-2003, 11:10 PM
I was wondering what the "standard" was on losing weight, and what do most concider "crazy" or "abnormal" I mean, I've started a diet to try to lose about 15 lbs for a costume....but I was just wondering if that was too much...is it? Btw..I'm just trying to lose my gut.. ^^; cuz i mean i'm lean and stuff, but its just my gut....^^; and i dont think a Starlight should have her gut hanging out, ya kno?

Cassandra
01-06-2003, 11:17 PM
Muscle weighs more than fat. That number on that scale is very misleading. If you work out more, you'll gain muscle, lose fat but that scale number will go up.

This is the big reason I never weigh myself and I never "diet."

Xx Lulu xX
01-06-2003, 11:19 PM
Yeah, I know about that...but....^^;; I dont think my stomach is muscle right now....ahah....

Koumori
01-06-2003, 11:30 PM
It depends on you, your body type, and what is healthy for you. If you are at all concerned, then you should talk to your doctor before you try losing that much weight - it may not be the healthiest thing for you to do, and that is much more important than any costume.

Xx Lulu xX
01-06-2003, 11:35 PM
Koumori..I just have to say...you give out theGreatest!!! tips on Cosplay.com....but My mother is a Nurse, and she knows of me and my cosplaying...and she said i should lose a few pounds, and eat better, and my form would improve more for costuming, but i just didnt want to do anythign without the input of my fellow Cosplayers

Alisa
01-06-2003, 11:52 PM
exercising and eating right is the best way to go. Everyone should do that everyday. ^_^

Xx Lulu xX
01-06-2003, 11:56 PM
^^; I guess your right...I should have been doing that for a long time....but i havent....^^;

Rethul
01-06-2003, 11:58 PM
I can give you some advice as alot of my friends are wrestlers and they always have to lose tons of weight. An easy thing is this.

Stop drinking soda of any kind, just replace it with water, or orange juice, you're weight will drop like a stone.

Run, it's simple enough but very healthy in itself. Once you get good at running you actually start to like it.

Himemiya
01-07-2003, 12:06 AM
I hate running, I hate water, and I hate dieting... So I do what works for me :) I eat the same crap, just eat less... say I get a sub, i'll only order half a sub instead of a whole thing. I move around... DDR is my excersize, i try to get in a good 2 hours a week. I dance around in my room to the radio, I bike around when I'm bored... and hey, i lost 20 pounds over the summer like that. Well, and I stopped eating mcdonalds. I worked there, and couldn't eat the food for months x.x;
anyway my point is, do what you like, don't make it work. And if you hate water, poweraid is nice :)

Alisa
01-07-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Rethul
I can give you some advice as alot of my friends are wrestlers and they always have to lose tons of weight. An easy thing is this.

Stop drinking soda of any kind, just replace it with water, or orange juice, you're weight will drop like a stone.

Run, it's simple enough but very healthy in itself. Once you get good at running you actually start to like it.

Yes, this is very true. There is no such thing as no pain, no gain, unless you have a good metabolism. I used to despise running. I was intimidated by it, but when I got into high school my childlike metabolism was starting to slow down. I was never really really overweight, but I was getting chubby back then. I was a size 5 in 7th or 8th grade. I had to exercise(I didn't want to be like my siblings) when I got into high school, I learned that I could run, and I kinda like it. Right now I am a size 0 and I also grew about 5 inches taller. Being a track/X-Country freak, it is stressed not to drink carbonated beverages therefore I don't drink them. Oh and you can't get out of drinking water. That is essential for life. There are flavored waters you can drink like I know there are those fruit H2O things. Powerade/Gaterade contains electrolytes that are needed to replenish you AFTER you exercise and has sodium that will get rid of water that you need. That is what they are made for not for drinking casually. Watch your caloric intake. I guess if you really really really really cannot stand water for some odd reason, drink milk, assorted juices, or lemonade try not to drink too much acidic juices though, unless you are on a protein diet. Oh and for exercising stretch a WHOLE lot, it will make you feel better, and prevent any after-soreness(bananas help for this also)

Why:
-It is gas that you are drinking there mixed into a sugar solution.
-it makes your stomach stick out more with gas.
-It affects the way you take in oxygen if you do exercising.
-being a runner for speed it is essential that you be breathing very well, and is a major factor for your will to run. You will be able to exercise longer.
- Oh and caffeine is really bad for you. (most sodas, coffee, and tea) If you really want a little bit of soda at times, drink diet non-caffenated soda. The Non-caff. Moutain Dew and Sierra Mist aren't bad from what I tried. Too many people are replacing water with soda.

Start off your exercise moderately, but you have to keep in mind that you have to push yourself, and CONSTANTLY remind yourself why you are doing the exercises. The more you exercise, the more goodies you get to eat. (Ice Cream! Chocolate! ^_^)

But yeah water is essential. If you don't like running, to lose fat. Anything that is a quick aerobic type activity will do it, heck even jumping around like a maniac will do it(ddr with some jumping jacks? Lift those legs).

Miyu
01-07-2003, 12:31 AM
if you wanna lose weight it's simple: stop eating so much. Stop snacking altogether. Eat three meals a day, and only eat until you feel %80 full (like the okinawans do). drink tons of water. Excersize.

I guarantee if you do that you'll FEEL better and look better too.

Alisa
01-07-2003, 12:37 AM
In your starlight costume, be moderate with water, for remember what goes in your stomach makes your stomach expand. If you want a really flat tummy, watch your intake. <--Only for day of showcasing your costume.

Oh don't forget plenty of crunches(crunches better than sit-ups better for back) to define those abs. You can also get those ab roller thingys. I keep on updating my replies, for I keep leaving stuff out.
I think I am about done making myself sound anorexic now. I am not, anorexic people can't run 10 miles.(heck yeah) I am just putting out something and you can go in the general direction. Start off by doing what Miyu said.

Vinya
01-07-2003, 01:12 AM
Yaaash! Wow! You people really know how to diet! With these excellent instructions, maybe I'll actually lose some weight too! Thanks minna! (Even if I was no part of the actual thread. ^_^)

Alaria
01-07-2003, 01:16 AM
if u want to specifically target ur stomach,then specifically using weight machines or doing crunches that target toning the abdominal muscles AND doing aerobic workout will help improve ur metabolism and actually start burning fat so that the toned muscles actually show ^__^

TheLoneWolf
01-07-2003, 01:17 AM
My personal tip,which IS a little over,but I personally LOVE IT:
Fasting.
Wake up at 5 am or so have a hearty breakfast,go back to bed,and the next meal you eat should be around 7 pm.Eat NOTHING in between but go for water.A week does wonders!

Karisu-sama
01-07-2003, 04:18 AM
There is NO substitute for exercise, for both weight loss and toning / flattening. ^_^ DDR is good... Crunches are good too.

Water instead of anything with calories will do wonders (but don't forget to get at least one drink that has calcium per day, like milk.) Juice can also be quite high-calorie.

Tea (iced or hot, herbal or not) is effectively flavored water. ^_^

Stress leads to snacking. Watch out for it.

Bobbi
01-07-2003, 05:10 AM
If you want to loose fat, do a lot of aerobics! DDR is good for that. =) You won't loose lots of fat by working your muscles.

I gotta loose a lot of weight this next year. Theres a lot of costumes I wanna do, and I've gained so much over the holidays. I have like no metabolisim so I eat a cookie and it goes straight to my butt. ><;

MargauxZ
01-07-2003, 06:09 AM
Dude, Lonewolf, and what do you think happens to that meal that you ate before you went back to sleep?

Since you aren't moving, it's not getting worked off. It's storing itself away.

Also, fasting slows down your metabolism, so when you do eat something, your body saves MORE calories in the end than when you follow a more regular eating schedule.

TheLoneWolf
01-07-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by MargauxZ
Dude, Lonewolf, and what do you think happens to that meal that you ate before you went back to sleep?

Since you aren't moving, it's not getting worked off. It's storing itself away.

Also, fasting slows down your metabolism, so when you do eat something, your body saves MORE calories in the end than when you follow a more regular eating schedule.

You know go to bed at 7pm? :eek:
I certainly don't.I usually call it a worknight at around 10,so suffice to say,most of the meal is digested away! :D
Besides,ask any athlete,martial artist,or fitness instructor and they'll all agree on fasting being a quick way to tone down&get your system straightened out!
And yes,DDR is good! :cheers:

Koumori
01-07-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by TheLoneWolf

Besides,ask any athlete,martial artist,or fitness instructor and they'll all agree on fasting being a quick way to tone down&get your system straightened out!

...I'm an athlete and a martial artist and a sensible person, and I've lost over 50 pounds in the last five years or so, and I think fasting is a terrible idea.

TheLoneWolf
01-07-2003, 07:46 AM
...I'm an athlete and a martial artist and a sensible person, and I've lost over 50 pounds in the last five years or so, and I think fasting is a terrible idea.

And I think gaining them was a bad idea.
Well,To each their own!
That was just my acedemic $0.02.It's up to lulu if she wants to/dosen't want to/wants to follow something else.

Koumori
01-07-2003, 07:47 AM
And I think gaining them was a bad idea.

No argument here, though I think that was a pretty nasty thing to say, and I found it very hurtful. My point was that I have some experience with successful, long-term weight loss.

And thanks, Lulu - you didn't say in your initial post that you had a medical opinion on this. ;)

TheLoneWolf
01-07-2003, 07:56 AM
o.o..You're right.That was pretty stupid of me,sorry.I sincerely apologize for any toes crushed/hearts broken/wounds inflicted.

More onto the topic,that is simply MY TIP.Nothing more,nothing less.While DDR may be a great way for one to lose weight,it might not be as effective for someone else.Same goes for fasting,I fast a month each year and I've been doing so for the last 5 years,and I think it's a great way to stay fit in general.If you think it's a terrible method,and it dosen't work for you,you should take into account the fact that no two people's body chemistry is truly "alike".

Vinya
01-07-2003, 08:39 AM
Krhm. *raises the "Hello! I'm stupid!"-sign and prepares to run*

What is DDR? I suppose you're NOT talking about Deutsche Demokratische Republik. ^_^

My ignorance shines again. ^_^ And again I defend myself by saying that I'd be stupider if I didn't ask.

Koumori
01-07-2003, 09:19 AM
o.o..You're right.That was pretty stupid of me,sorry.I sincerely apologize for any toes crushed/hearts broken/wounds inflicted.

No problem. Thanks.

More onto the topic,that is simply MY TIP.Nothing more,nothing less.While DDR may be a great way for one to lose weight,it might not be as effective for someone else.Same goes for fasting,I fast a month each year and I've been doing so for the last 5 years,and I think it's a great way to stay fit in general.

Okay - and I'm sure for a quick, short-term weight loss, it works fine, since you are ingesting fewer calories, though as a permanent lifestyle change, I would not recommend it.

DDR = Dance Dance Revolution.. a form of exercise many of us (though not, alas, me) have in our living rooms, and it's a lot more fun than a stationary bike.

TheLoneWolf
01-07-2003, 10:04 AM
Or try your local arcade....they might have a DDR machine?

Alisa
01-07-2003, 10:13 AM
Fasting is okay if you are not really physically active. If you are, you end up getting really sick. Not good. Then again some peoples bodies can take it. I don't fast, for it makes me sick and lethargic. I would rather go for small nutritional snacks throughout out the day.

TheLoneWolf
01-07-2003, 10:14 AM
I really can argue against that,but I won't.

peaseblossom
01-07-2003, 11:37 AM
My mother, stepdad, dad and stepmom are all on the Atkins diet(NOT together, the respective couples are together ^_^) and they have lost a lot of weight. The thing about the Atkins diet is you need to only do the no carbs thing for about a week or two and then you need to eat at least some carbs, just watch them more closely. I don't completely trust whether the Atkins diet is healthy, but it has done a lot for my dad's cholesterol. Also, cutting carbs is really good for people who have a history of diabetes in their family.
The thing about water is SO right! You can lose about 5 lbs in just water weight if you stop drinking soda. I have really cut back and am trying to wean myself off them completely. ^_^ Cuz, you know you can clean your car battery with Coca Cola ...and it is a lot of sugar and about 100 extra calories for each one.

Koumori
01-07-2003, 11:53 AM
As far as the Atkins and other diets that require you to make radical changes to your eating habits - the jury is still out, but the few studies that have tracked them so far seem to find that they do result in weight loss through reduced calorie intake, but that most people find the changes in lifestyle that they require very difficult to stay with permanently. The old standby, eat less, get more fruits, vegetables and water, and exercise, is still the best and most effective over the long term for most people, and easiest to live with forever, which is what you're looking at for permanent weight loss.

Mei Lan Chang
01-07-2003, 12:44 PM
I have been avoiding this thread, but I'll just mention this health fact.

For the average human girl, losing more than two pounds a week on a "diet" is unhealthy and can cause permanent damage to your internal organs.

If you wanna lose wieght. Great. Do it safely.

Vinya
01-07-2003, 12:50 PM
I agree completely with Mei Lan Chang.

Losing weight is not someting that happens in a day or two, not even in a week. Losing weight is about changing your habits of food and moving, I think. If you eat healthier and move more, you will lose weight, if you use up more calories than you have gained while eating. But I remember reading somewhere that it takes at least eight weeks for a new habit to stick in.

Fasting is something that's not suitable for everyone, and it's true that without eating anything and just drinking water does slim you down, but it's not permanent. In the worst case, you'll end up in a yo-yo: when the body doesn't get any food, it thinks that the end is near or something and puts itself on a mode than uses only a little fat, and stores the rest. Then you start eating again, and all the fat is still there, so you go back on fasting and so on.

Slowly, but surely, that's what counts in losing weight, I think. ^_^

Lady
01-07-2003, 03:02 PM
My mom tried denying herself food when she was younger because she thought she was 'fat'. What happened is that her body switched over into starvation mode and now every calorie she takes in stays with her. So while maybe fasting one day a month may be ok, I wouldn't recommend doing it for any length of time*nods*

What I did to lose weight was a combination of 3 things:

1. Drink less soda.
It's been said before, and I'll second it. I drank less soda and more water and milk (and I drink whole milk, so it's full of fat), and that did wonders for helping my energy and dropping some pounds. Also, after I'd lost some weight, I tried soda again and found it tasted too sugary for me*shrugs* so I stick to water and milk these days. Haven't gained back a pound, even though I'm less active now than I was for a few months.

2. Eat less.
I found I was eating twice as much as I needed, so I cut my portions in half (though I still eat enough to make some of my friends sweatdrop) At first it sucked because it meant I'd stop eating before I felt full, but I got used to the new amount of food, and I'm unable to eat as much as I used to.

3. Exercise.
It doesn't even have to be strenuous or sweat inducing. Any physical activity you do will help your body. For 3 months before Otakon last year I would spend about 10 minutes a day doing sit ups, lunges, leg lifts, and easy things like that. Every now and then I would do about 5-10 minutes on the Ski machine in the house.

Overall I lost 30 lbs in 3 months, with most of it coming off in the final month when my metabolism was slowly waking back up. But, as it's been mentioned before, everyone's body is different, and mine may react faster or slower than yours.

On a side note, lately I've done a little of those pilates things, and they'll give you a surprisingly good workout for only 20 minutes a day, 2-3 times a week. But if you're very out of shape (like I am) it's a genuine struggle to make yourself do something you know will hurt, be hard, and leave you tired afterwards. But you'll see results within a month or so if you're consistent and eat healthy foods.

Hope it helped!

-Lady

Miyu
01-07-2003, 03:11 PM
Fasting is the absolute worse thing you can do.. as soon as you start eating again, even if it is just a little, your body will put on twice as much weight.

engrish
01-07-2003, 03:23 PM
I remember watching the History Channel and this Vietnam vet was describing some incident. His platoon was ambushed by the Viet Cong and their supply lines were cut off. The Americans had to dig a trench to shield themselves and fight like mad for the next 30 days and live on whatever rations they had until they were rescued. The Vietnam vet said he lost 30 lbs in 30 days and that was the only diet program he went on that actually worked:D

true story

TheLoneWolf
01-07-2003, 04:40 PM
or try Yoga!

cutekawaii
01-07-2003, 04:57 PM
DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT FAST!!!!!!!!!!!! EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is the WORST thing you can do to yourself! It's like being a car without gas. Fasting is somewhat addictive, too. Once you stop eating, it's hard to start again, and that only leads to anorexia. Besides, being hungry sucks!!! Also, if you only drink water, yeah, you'll sweat it off, but as soon as you take a sip of water, it all comes back.

The best thing you can do for yourself, for anyone, is to eat HEALTHYLY and excersise at least 3 times a week. Instead of having 3 meals a day, it's better to snack throught the whole day on veggies and fruits and things like that. When you go to the grocery store, stay out of the sweets isle. Also, drink plenty of water! Not only will it help to flush out all the bad stuff in your body, but it will help keep your skin clear too. You can't go wrong with water!

If you're trying to loose weight rather than gain muscle, focus on cardiovascular excersises. Those are things like running, tai bo (really fun!), martial arts, soccer, swimming, etc. Swimming is one of the best types of work outs to do because it's non impact, so there's hardly any stress on your muscles. Martial arts ranks as the 2nd or 3rd best way to burn calories. To get rid of that tummy, do crunches!! But be warned, some people simply cannot get rid of certain flabby parts, so don't get frustrated if it never goes away. That's just the way your body is. For instance, flabby arms run in my family, so I'm looking foward to that x-x

What I've heard works is to wake up early early and go for a jog/swim. Then come home and eat breakfast. Eating after excersing speeds up your metabolism for the day.

*feels really bad reading and typing this because shes drinking coke and skipping karate class*

Rethul
01-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Anohter simple peice of advice is eat slower, you'll find that you fill up faster. Because of the rushed attitude in America everyon piles their food down before their body can tell them to stop. Eat slower, live better.

Carmila
01-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Yes, fasting is bad. I know. I haven't had much to eat in the last 4 days and it has caught up with me. I had some soup yesterday for lunch and I have felt sick ever since. Then again, in the past week I have lost 6 lbs too, which is much too fast. Don't be me.

Actually, I am on the DDR diet myself. I am playing DDR 3 days a week, the other days I am either in the gym or on the tread mill. In addition, I am watching what I am eating and cutting out all that stuff that in all honesty, I don't need. (Sandwitches at the local shop, pizza from the vendor next store for lunch every day, that sort of thing) and I have already started to feel better.

The best thing is to have a goal that is not unreachable. Mine is 30 lbs by Otakon. That is 8 months, I know I can do it!

digikoomi
01-07-2003, 07:58 PM
well, vegetable, DDR, water ^^

Carmila
01-07-2003, 08:10 PM
THat is about all I have lived off of for the last 4 days, and if you ask me, it sucks.

Koumori
01-07-2003, 10:52 PM
Exercise is great, but you also have to eat. If you're getting more physically active, and you don't consume enough calories to keep up with your activity level, you will actually slow your metabolism down as it tries to keep you from starving, and you will lose weight much more slowly! It seems counterintuitive, because you think that if you eat less, you're bound to lose weight, but that isn't always the way it works. Your body is a machine, and it adapts to the most efficient way of doing things - if you take in too few calories, it will burn fewer calories, which is the last thing you want.

Alisa
01-07-2003, 11:43 PM
I agree with Koumori

AshleyV
01-08-2003, 01:29 AM
I must agree. If you do not eat as much then your metabolism does slow down. Every fall I march in a marching band doing Color Guard. At the University of North Alabama (where I am a member of the Pride of Dixie Band) we have a weight limit that we must stay in. The best way of losing is to eat 3 fulls meals a day, but stop eating once you begin to get full. Also exercise is a main key. Try to find exercise that will fit the area that you need the most work.

Haruka
01-08-2003, 04:44 PM
What a great thread! ^_^ ok...heh yes drink lots of water..did you know that 80% of Americans are chronically dehydrated? So drink your watta! hehe

KANEDA
01-08-2003, 05:22 PM
I didn't eat for 54 hours a few weeks ago and I lost some weight.. and i was already skinny as hell....
and the funny thing is.. I wasn't even hungry.. and I coulda gone days more without eating.

finally my family forced me to eat. ...
wasn't appitizing at all.....

and before all this I only ate one meal a day for like a month... and I was fine.
food and me are strange friends....

Xx Lulu xX
01-08-2003, 06:50 PM
Woah......thats kinda freaky....I've been on a Water/Fruits/Veggies diet....I havent weighed myself yet thou, I'm gonna check it every tues at the same time to keep a record...blech the only problem is water is so damn flavorless...

Rethul
01-08-2003, 07:23 PM
Exercise alot and water will become your best friend in the world. Trust me on it. Nothing makes water more appetizing than thirst.

camuimana
01-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Xx Lulu xX
.blech the only problem is water is so damn flavorless...

Haha, see that's why I drink flavored water. In fact other than say orange juice, that's all I ever drink. I can't stand coke that much (I still don't see how/why I used to drink it all the time when I was younger)

As for losing weight. I can't say much more than anyone else on here : exercise and eat healthy. It's the only way.

(and fasting IS bad for you. I think someone on here said it wasn't, but my uncle is a doctor. Just ask him or any other doctor and they'll tell you.)

cutekawaii
01-08-2003, 08:50 PM
That seriously sounds like anorexia. There is NO body that just -doesn't- want to eat. It has to be trained not to want to eat. You way want to talk to your doctor..that's just not healthy.

Originally posted by KANEDA
I didn't eat for 54 hours a few weeks ago and I lost some weight.. and i was already skinny as hell....
and the funny thing is.. I wasn't even hungry.. and I coulda gone days more without eating.

finally my family forced me to eat. ...
wasn't appitizing at all.....

and before all this I only ate one meal a day for like a month... and I was fine.
food and me are strange friends....

Adella
01-08-2003, 08:58 PM
besides when you don't eat your body tries to salvage the fat cells so you actually balloon up before you start to lose weight. Just work out and get exercise. It's not that hard.

Koumori
01-08-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Aeris
besides when you don't eat your body tries to salvage the fat cells so you actually balloon up before you start to lose weight. Just work out and get exercise. It's not that hard.

It's true - but it does take effort, and for permanent weight loss you need to make it a part of your life. There just ain't no quick fix, but it's so worth it to be healthy and confident.

Rethul
01-08-2003, 10:49 PM
Remember though for losing weight don't eat fast food. I know it sounds simple but it's important. I've been away from it for so long I cna bearly walk inside a McDonalds, the places make me feel sick.

Kurenai
01-08-2003, 11:19 PM
You can always add a little orange juice or lemon juice to water to make it taste better.

Tea is your 2nd best friend, aside from water! Tea like green or red (even better, it's like green w/antioxidants but not caffeinated, and it's yummy) or yerba mate are really good for you ^_^

I have a question though....I usually have a mug of coffee or a shot of espresso in the morning....is that bad? I don't really drink any other caffeine the rest of the day, and I haven't had pop in forever.

Another question: Someone has told me that DDR is good exercise but not really one that helps you lose weight, as in it's not aerobically inclined enough? How true is this? and if I play it like 3 times a week, should I be doing anything else or is that enough?

Bobbi
01-09-2003, 04:38 AM
I think I'm really going to try Lady's 3 tips mentioned earlier. It's weird... all of the flab goes on my upper body. But I have pretty muscular legs! It looks odd... I'm starting to look like my mom, and that's a scary thing. She resembles an ostrich, only she has extremly bony legs.

I heard that if you start loosing a lot of weight, your boobs are one of the first places where the fat is burned off. Is this true? =P

Kurenai, I'm pretty sure that if you play DDR for an hour every day, or every other day, it's pretty benificial. The only thing is, it's pretty much only working out your legs. But it is burning calories. The exersize mode is awesome for that, it shows how many calories you've burned. You can always try signing up for aerobics or kickboxing classes. A friend of mine took that route and she lost a good amount of weight. I'm going to try and sign up for a class too. =)

Koumori
01-09-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Bobbi

I heard that if you start loosing a lot of weight, your boobs are one of the first places where the fat is burned off. Is this true? =P

Well, that is what happened to me, but I was pretty happy about that actually. I used to have a lot of back problems that I don't have anymore.

As for DDR - if it gets your heart rate up, it's aerobic. ANY exercise is good for you!

Chosuke
01-09-2003, 08:16 AM
About the whole minus of boob after weight loss,
I'm not exactly trying to 'lose' weight,i'm not dieting.. just eating what I usually do,but with all my martial arts and the 40 minute walk to and from school ^^;

I weigh 111 but i'm only 5'0",and would REALLY want to go down a boob size.

suggestions?

Alaria
01-09-2003, 08:51 AM
when u work out doing aerobic exercise, the adipose buildup in fat cells is broken down into fatty acids used for extra fuel in glycolysis. So aerobic exercise will aid in that. When women lose weight, it usually goes from their chest first *grumbles* so minor weight loss might be beneficial. Don't go on any of those fast, fad diets though!!

Xx Lulu xX
01-09-2003, 04:15 PM
Ok so i've boosted my Intake of water to the 8 glasses that are reccomended a day...lowered my Chocolate intake....damn those hershey treasures....lol and Increased my fruits and veggies...Ichhhhh Peas lol and in the last two days i've lost 1 1/2 LBS~!!! I know it doesnt sound like much but WOOHOO~!! So excited, but the only downfall is....>.< I Have to PEE so much!!

Kurenai
01-09-2003, 04:53 PM
Hey, for chocolate you could have hershey kisses....they are only 25 calories each. As for the weight you lost, good for you! Don't be discouraged if it goes back up (it may have just been water weight) because to lose weight really slowly usually means that it won't come back if you're doing everything right. Yay!

Koumori
01-09-2003, 04:58 PM
Ok so i've boosted my Intake of water to the 8 glasses that are reccomended a day...lowered my Chocolate intake....damn those hershey treasures....lol and Increased my fruits and veggies...Ichhhhh Peas lol and in the last two days i've lost 1 1/2 LBS~!!! I know it doesnt sound like much but WOOHOO~!! So excited, but the only downfall is....>.< I Have to PEE so much!!

Be careful and go slowly, and don't be deceived by the numbers on the scale. In the first week or two of a new eating plan, you will lose weight very quickly, but most of it will be water. A healthy rate of weight loss after those first couple of weeks is 1-2 pounds a week. No more. Any more than that, and you're compromising your metabolism.

Xx Lulu xX
01-09-2003, 05:01 PM
I do think i've experienced the "water weight" becuz i weighed myself on the scale, and just for fun after i Pee-d one time I hoped on the scale, and it was up another lb..but i was like whatever i'll pee it off later, and i did, but i pee-d off 1 1/2 lbs w/ it~!!

Yes...I think it happened a little quick myself...but It could have also been the fact i've started dancing again....-.-; alone in my room that is...Ahahah ^^; such a dork...and I've also started doing crunches~! WOohoo~!

Muwahahha...I must go drink some water...:drink:

Koumori
01-09-2003, 07:20 PM
Just take it slow. The water is *not* making you lose weight, it's just helping to keep your blood circulating nutrients into your cells and waste material out. Overdoing it on water won't do anything except make you pee a lot (incidentally, if you're weighing yourself every ten minutes, bear in mind that the water you're drinking is heavy too). Don't jump on the scale every day - fluctuations in weight over days and weeks are completely normal. Don't form unrealistic expectations about how much you can lose in how much time.

You lose weight only one way: by using more calories than you take in in food. It's a tricky balance to maintain. If your mother is a nurse, you might ask her to help you formulate a sensible eating and exercise program, and maybe help supervise it. Otherwise, I would suggest Weight Watchers as a sensible, healthy, supportive way to lose weight.

Sorry if I'm sounding overbearing here, but this is an arena where I really do know what I'm talking about and feel strongly about.

Xx Lulu xX
01-09-2003, 07:23 PM
::takes notes like a fiend:: I see....maybe I Should... but I need dinero first....must get job.....:bouncer:

camuimana
01-09-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Bobbi

It depends on your genetics and where fat is normally stored in your body. Fat stores up in my butt and thighs so when I lose weight, nothing really happens to my chest area. Normally people who store fat in their stomach, lose their breasts when they lose weight. It's different for different people though.

Originally posted by Chobrat
I weigh 111 but i'm only 5'0",and would REALLY want to go down a boob size.

Nope, sorry. There is not much you can do to bring down your boob size, sans having reduction surgery. It's genetics. Blame your parents for it. ^o~;;

Koumori
01-09-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by camuimana

Nope, sorry. There is not much you can do to bring down your boob size, sans having reduction surgery. It's genetics. Blame your parents for it. ^o~;;

What she said. For costume or clothing purposes, you can buy minimizer bras in most department stores; I don't know if they make them for B cups, but they certainly do for C and D+ cups. They aren't pretty, but they get the job done, and when I was a lot bigger, I used to wear them under anything that buttoned in the front to prevent gaping.

Nine
01-10-2003, 06:43 AM
Just to let you know: Diet's don't work.

Excersize, Excersize and Excersize is the key. You can starve yourself all you want, but when it comes to losing inches you must move your body. Walking, biking, running, dancing, playing basketball, lifting weights, whatever!

Xx Lulu xX
01-10-2003, 08:37 AM
Yes...so true....I think I'll be doing my exercise this morning due to the fact i missed my bus...and I have no ride~! ^^;

Koumori
01-10-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Nine
Just to let you know: Diet's don't work.

Well, that's not *quite* true. Exercise is critical - definitely. But so are your eating habits. And "a diet," if it's only a temporary change in your eating habits, won't work in the long term. It's only long-term commitment to a total change in your lifestyle that will produce lasting results.

Xx Lulu xX
01-10-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Koumori
Well, that's not *quite* true. Exercise is critical - definitely. But so are your eating habits. And "a diet," if it's only a temporary change in your eating habits, won't work in the long term. It's only long-term commitment to a total change in your lifestyle that will produce lasting results.

True I have to agree with Koumori on that one, Exercise is a plus....and if you put that together with a diet, ^^; dont forget your reccomended 8 Glasses of Water, ^^ And you can definatly make it work......But just remember Make it a Normal sized glass, unlike me, I found a Big glass...and ended up peeing my brains out every 10 minutes :thumbsup:

Nine
01-11-2003, 03:13 AM
When I say diet, I mean:

"LOSE 10 LBS IN 2 DAYS ON OUR ALL LIQUID DIET!"

or

"JOIN JENNY CRAIG AND PAY PER POUND (PLUS THE COST OF OUR EXTREMELY EXPENCIVE AND EXTREMEMLY HARMFUL FOOD!)"

or

"I am Dr. So and so and I am putting you on a 600cal diet with 4.7g protine energy shakes. Here is your food cal. guide and have fun starving yourself!"

There is a different between "dieting" and "changing your eating habits."

Changing your eating habits is way different that dieting because when you diet, you have a set thing to eat which can be really difficult. When you change your eating habits, you just eat what you normally eat, but within moderation and concideration to your weight and excersize program.

^^;

Alanna-chan
01-11-2003, 04:34 AM
I'm kinda late, but DON'T starve yourself. If you do, I'll hunt you down and kill you *smiles innocently* Eat stuff with lots of water in it, like fruits, vegetables, and of course water. Bread bad. Don't eat much bread. Or use something thin like tortillas. Or bake your own bread so you don't have all those icky icky perservatives that you get in that store bought bread. And if you snack throughout the day instead of eating meals, you lose track of what you eat, so eat in meals. And try to eat at a set time, so breakfast at 7, lunch at whatever time you have lunch at school (11 am, damn 3rd period lunch ><) and dinner at 6:30. So that way your body gets used to it. Also, don't eat a lot for dinner since that's your last meal of the day and you usualy don't do much after that, and going to sleep after that is bad for digestion. So eat more for breakfast and lunch to keep you going. Also, work on your muscles with stuff like weight lifting, push-ups, etc. It helps to speed up metabolism faster than anything else. And even though some people may tell you to work out 3 days a week for an hour a day, but it's better to work out 6 days a week for 20 minutes a day. And good luck. But if you fast for 1 minute, I will hunt you down!

Koumori
01-11-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Nine

There is a different between "dieting" and "changing your eating habits."

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant, but I feel pretty strongly about this, so had to jump in with my 2+ cents. :)

Vialoi Ketsueke
01-14-2003, 06:54 AM
If you want a really nice flat tummy try doing crunches. Do sets of 20, three times every day.
Some females can loose weight by eating less then they normally do during "The time of the month"
Just be careful if you do that, other wise you might pass out.
I tried caloire counting, it works out really well, plus you can stick to it..

Vialoi Ketsueke
01-14-2003, 07:00 AM
Oops. One more thing.
I also stayed away from Dairy products and red meat. Also, it is important to drink water, but if you drink too much you could get water poisioning. ( Yeah, it sounds stupid, but it's true.) You also don't want to gain water weight, because you'll look bloated, and feel bloated..and you'll have to go to the bathroom all the time.
I can tell you more if you'd like.

Koumori
01-14-2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Vialoi Ketsueke
I lost about 15 pounds one month and a half by eatting about 500 to 700 calories a day. I also didn't exercise, only at work and that was lifting really heavy boxes and barrels around.
Now I'm exercising more and sticking to calorie counting.

Whoa. NOT healthy, and not something you're going to be able to continue doing for the long term (that's not enough food for anyone). Talk to a doctor/nurse/medical professional before you start doing something that extreme. Just eat sensibly and exercise - that is ALL there is to it.

ThatYaoiBoy
01-14-2003, 09:18 AM
Well since this is about "dieting" I guess I can post this here. I don't need to slim down anymore lol but I do need to gain more muscle mass for cosplay. I'm rather upset that I lost my abdominal muscles with a thin layer of fat x__x; So I need to work that off but sit ups and such doesn't work! They only grow the muscles beneath, how will I loose the fat on top? And do you think I'll be able to do it before Katsucon? (I'm thinking about going to the weight lifting room everyday after school..)

Koumori
01-14-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by ThatYaoiBoy
Well since this is about "dieting" I guess I can post this here. I don't need to slim down anymore lol but I do need to gain more muscle mass for cosplay. I'm rather upset that I lost my abdominal muscles with a thin layer of fat x__x; So I need to work that off but sit ups and such doesn't work! They only grow the muscles beneath, how will I loose the fat on top? And do you think I'll be able to do it before Katsucon? (I'm thinking about going to the weight lifting room everyday after school..)

Well... the only way to get rid of the fat layer is to lose the fat (through, okay, say it with me now: "eating sensibly and exercising!" - watch for Koumori's Sensible Diet Tips, in stores soon!). And in some cases, you may well be perfectly healthy with it there. Developing muscle mass is great, but as long as there's fat on top of it, you won't have a "ripped" look. Which is totally fine, normal and healthy. As long as you're at a normal, healthy weight and BMI, you're probably fine.

ThatYaoiBoy
01-14-2003, 09:39 AM
But I liked my abs x.x;;; My happy trail looked yummy on them XD XD XD ok I'll stop with my yaoi-ness x.x; Am I the only yaoi loving guy alive!? ;___; I feel so alone.

digikoomi
01-14-2003, 09:49 AM
talk about loose weight....when I go back to school have to start it.... T_T
big pain....I hate loosing weight.....

Koumori
01-14-2003, 10:17 AM
But I liked my abs x.x;;; My happy trail looked yummy on them

I... really... really... REALLY didn't need to hear that.

Aya Mikage
01-14-2003, 10:19 AM
But I liked my abs x.x;;; My happy trail looked yummy on them XD XD XD ok I'll stop with my yaoi-ness x.x; Am I the only yaoi loving guy alive!? ;___; I feel so alone.

*.* im with Koumori on that abs thing:thumbsup: i know a guy or 2 that love yaoi:D

ThatYaoiBoy
01-14-2003, 10:27 AM
XD Lol I know you didn't have to hear it. But you did :3

Koumori
01-14-2003, 10:41 AM
XD Lol I know you didn't have to hear it. But you did :3

Delightful. Can we go back to the topic now?

Carmila
01-14-2003, 11:06 AM
Yes, I would have to day the idea of a happy trail on some guy's abs is not really why I am reading this thread.

The dieting for me is going well, but then again, I also picked up some of the health tips in Prevention magazine. For most people it is not just a matter of changing their diet and excersize, it is a matter of changing their lifestyle, which I have found very true.

I am finding this very hard right about now, but I just have to do it. I don't want the health problems that being overweight can cause. Then again, I really want to change because Atlanta was just rated "the fattest city in America". Great, another thing to be proud of!

Koumori
01-14-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Carmila

The dieting for me is going well, but then again, I also picked up some of the health tips in Prevention magazine. For most people it is not just a matter of changing their diet and excersize, it is a matter of changing their lifestyle, which I have found very true.

Right - in order for weight loss to last, the changes have to be permanent. It's hard at first, but eventually, it really does become your way of life. Keep track of everything you eat, be aware of what you're putting into your body, and keep up the exercise (which of course has all kinds of health benefits, not just weight loss).

Carmila
01-14-2003, 11:29 AM
So I have noticed. I got out of the loop after I came home from Tibet. I think it is just because I was so exhausted all the time looking for a job, and trying to get into grad school. It took alot out of me. Now I am just starting to get into the swing of thing, and I know it is hard, but keeping it up is the hardest part!

Studmaster
01-14-2003, 12:29 PM
This is the best thread this year!! I don't know why I haven't seen it.

As for me. I've really begun an exercising plan since November, and it's been slow implementation. Here's what it consists of.

- At least An Hour of DDR everyday

- Every other day in the Gym, working on Cardio and Weights

- 2 Marital Arts Classes a week.

- A decrease of Soda. (I ake in 35% of my usual intake now)

- A very sharp decrease in fast food and unhealthy foods.

I also may add some special Ab exercises (any tips on this wll be appericated, because I want chizzled ones) and a few other things before it is set as well. However I want to add a couple of things.

There are very few replacements for Water IMO. Sure you have your sports drinks, but think about what's put in them. Powerade has lots and lots of sugar, and when I was working our yesterday, I found that it tired me out faster than Water did when I last worked out. So I'm sticking with Water in most cases. It seems to recharge me right.

And another thing....motivation.

Who are you doing this for, and why? If you're doing it for others or an event, then you're going mess yourself up, and become complacent. I learned this a few years ago when I thought losing weight would mean a better time in College and more friends...Then I was rejected from every circle, and everything you can think of....There you go.

It's gotta come from within or you run the risk of losing.

Naru
01-14-2003, 01:03 PM
Ok Ok now I am going to have to say something....

I am kinda like lulu in what she said in the first post.
This is what I live by now because I have found the greatest results with least amount of work.
First and foremost I have cut my pop intake to maybe one a week if that. I know some of you may be shocked but it really is possible and once you get used to it really isn't a big problem at all. I also drink a lot more water then I ever did before. Insteed of grabing a bit to eat in between meals I get a cup of water and manage to chug it down. I only eat three main meals a day and breakfasts are usually my worst (i tend to have oreos for breakfast). Yes I do eat Mced's or wendy's once in a while but I watch how often I do it and only get the Blt and fri off the .99 menu. skiping the pop again.

Also, and this surprised me the most. I lost 6 pounds during my trip to Florida not to mention my gut. I did a ton of walking almost everyday and swimming was even more of a workout! So, I can safely say that walking/swimming/joging definetly help with the gut problem. I am currently trying my dangdest to stay this way too!

Vialoi Ketsueke
01-14-2003, 03:40 PM
I don't really have anything to say right now. Sleep is also very important for dieting. ..I need more sleep, I don't know what is wrong with me since I've been home from school..

Rosiel
01-14-2003, 03:51 PM
> Females are only supposed to have 1000 calories a day, males are 1,500.

Er... NO.

Straight from the FDA (American Food and Drug): Men and very active women may need up to 2,500 calories daily. Other women and inactive men need only about 2,000 calories daily. A safe plan is to eat 300 to 500 fewer calories a day to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week.

700 calories is considered near starvation and 600 calories and less is considered starvation by medical researchers and statisticians.

Please do not give people on this forum such reckless information. Eating 700 calories a day is adverse to your long term health.

Cassandra
01-14-2003, 04:01 PM
I was gonna say.....you know that all the dietary calculations on the side of all those boxes and stuff are based on a 2000 calorie diet, right? Why would they recommend a 1000 calorie diet and put twice the amount of info on the box?

*nods with Rosiel* Of course, a 3000 calorie diet consisting of ice cream, chocolate bars and soda is much yummier :D

-.-; kidding.

soshi
01-14-2003, 04:02 PM
eek.. everyone needs to read Rosiel's post, she's right on the money. starving yourself is NOT to way to go.

anyway...

before you can lose weight you have to be healthy. trying to do it all at once is just going to frusterate you. you can get books at the library at eating right for your blood and body type, ect, that are really helpfull.

I'm trying to simply be healthy right now.. I have really bad motion-induced asthma that inhailer's don't help with, so exersize isn't an option for me (and yes, it sucks. I even have trouble just wandering around at cons. >_<), so, weight loss is just something I've had trouble with. but health is something everyone can do.. just figure out what you can eat and what's good for you and eat that. ^^ I never thought I'd be able to eat healthy because I'm majorly addicted to soda x_X; but I've discovered the joy of carbonated flavored water, so.. whee. ^^;

Vialoi Ketsueke
01-14-2003, 04:05 PM
..Oh crap. Do I feel like a jerk now.
You are right. What lack of sleep does to a person. Sorry, I only had 1 hour of sleep last night.
Lol, just ignore me for the rest of this thread.
I'm deffinitly not starving myself.
Let me go and smack my head on a wall to wake myself up.

digikoomi
01-14-2003, 05:23 PM
I see Vialoi Ketsueke all the time, she seems a very healthy person though~

Koumori
01-14-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by digikoomi
I see Vialoi Ketsueke all the time, she seems a very healthy person though~

She may be, but extreme calorie-cutting (which is tantamount to fasting) is not a healthy or long-term way to lose weight.

Rosiel
01-14-2003, 06:01 PM
> She may be, but extreme calorie-cutting (which is tantamount to fasting) is not a healthy or long-term way to lose weight.

And more than that it can harm your health irreparably. There were studies that showed that a lot of young women who overdo diet and exercise, while looking their age (I think the focus group was 25-35, it was a done a few years ago and my memory isn't the best) actually had the insides of 60 year olds.

You're shortening both your lifespan and your years of healthy living by acting so recklessly with your body. You may not see the impact now, because you're young, but wait 10-20 years and you might regret not eating right.

> I see Vialoi Ketsueke all the time, she seems a very healthy person though~

You need to BE healthy, which does not always equate looking healthy.

Xx Lulu xX
01-14-2003, 07:09 PM
Im proud of me~! I lost another 2 lbs this past week~! :D ALl your tips are so helpfull~! Thank you all so much :D

Tika
01-14-2003, 07:55 PM
Hang in there!

I eat alot of junk food but I try to stay active as possible here in the boondocks, to burn off some of the utter crap I eat.

If you find you are getting bored of water, try alternating between Water and " American Clear". It's basically flavored, carbonated water and you can buy it at Wal-Mart. Its still good for you to take in lots of regular water, but I know how boring water can get.

Vialoi Ketsueke
01-14-2003, 07:58 PM
Woah, wait, wait.
I made an error earlier. Like I said I only had a hour of sleep last night. I had something on my mind so I couldn't fall asleep.
I'm not starving myself like you think I am. When I said "700 calories" I really was meaning to say 1,700. I make a lot of mistakes when I am tired, and I don't think clearly. It was a mistake. Dikoomi does see me everyday just about, and she can in fact back up my eatting habbits.
Please pardon my errors.

digikoomi
01-14-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Tika
Hang in there!

I eat alot of junk food but I try to stay active as possible here in the boondocks, to burn off some of the utter crap I eat.

Junk food can not make you loose weight....and it's not good for you either~ that's why we call it Junky food.
Healthy diet is Vege, Tofu, Water, Juice, fruits, fish XD my favorite
and during the time when you on diet, less oil, suger, salt

and give you guys a tip: for woman only, during that special week you can slow down your diet, because your body will loose energy very fast during that period.

Rosiel
01-14-2003, 08:26 PM
> I'm not starving myself like you think I am. When I said "700 calories" I really was meaning to say 1,700.

*laughs* Now that makes a lot more sense! 1,700 calories is a good number for slowly losing weight and keeping it off!

I have to admit when I read all those health reports, I feel afraid to count the numbers of calories I ingest a day... I swear I have a stargate at the bottom of my stomach. X__X It's not my fault I'm such a pig!

As for healthy diets, they have to be balanced, so don't forget some meat, eggs, and fish! And, yes, you need unsaturated fat to have your body function correctly so cutting all fat is actually bad for you. Olive oil (1st cold-pressed) and nuts contain good fats and make salads a lot tastier.

Alisa
01-14-2003, 08:30 PM
Honestly, this thread does not need to be this long. You can probably refer to the opening pages.

miko-sama
01-14-2003, 08:47 PM
eat right and work out. end of subject

Koumori
01-14-2003, 10:06 PM
Im proud of me~! I lost another 2 lbs this past week~! :D ALl your tips are so helpfull~! Thank you all so much :D

Good for you, Lulu! That's just where you should be. Hang in there! :) You all have inspired me to get back on track after Christmas, too. :)

For those who feel this thread is too long, I think the discussion as it's evolved contains a lot of information, advice and varied personal experiences - if they're not of use to you, then my apologies, but clearly there's a lot of interest in this thread at this time.

Xx Lulu xX
01-15-2003, 04:22 PM
Good for you, Lulu! That's just where you should be. Hang in there! :) You all have inspired me to get back on track after Christmas, too. :)

For those who feel this thread is too long, I think the discussion as it's evolved contains a lot of information, advice and varied personal experiences - if they're not of use to you, then my apologies, but clearly there's a lot of interest in this thread at this time.

Koumori- Thank you so much~! :D You've been very helpfull to me with all your hints and tips~! :D Good luck to you on you weight loss!!

And i agree with Koumori on the "too long"-ness of this thread...I'm glad that its this long~! LL the posters have definatly helped me and I'm glad they helped and supported me with all thir personal experiences, so if your not interested in it, dont read :D

Carmila
01-16-2003, 05:35 PM
I have found lots of strength when it comes to my diet from people on this forum! It is so much easier to diet when you have someone out there that will support you and help you through the rough times!

I have really enjoyed reading everyone's suggestions and well wishes for others thus far! You people are great and you should know it!

Tika
01-16-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by digikoomi
Junk food can not make you loose weight....and it's not good for you either~ that's why we call it Junky food.

Um no. If you read carefully, you might see what I was trying to say is I eat alot of crap so I stay active so all that junk doesn't go straight to my butt :D

miko-sama
01-17-2003, 01:24 AM
This thread is for inspiration. I like it. *Goes and exercises* Must get in shape for conventions.

PockyDarcy
01-19-2003, 04:00 PM
Dieting for cosplay is something I do all the time. lol 2 weeks before a con, I make sure to eat as healthy as I can and not eat as much. Last summer I lost so much weight because I was sick. *sigh* I wonder if my summer costumes, I will be able to fit into now that I am back to my normal weight?...*blink* *blink* When I first started cosplaying I was on the chubby side. By year 2 I was sick of it and vowed to loose lots of weight for my Yurkika costume at Otakon 2001. I exersized 3 times a day & I drank a lot of water. Sadly, I gained 10 pounds from muscle and in my oppion I looked worse! >_< But, I think everyone has different body shapes, I suppose you must experement to find out what works for u! Good luck to any of u who are dieting for cosplay...it is so hard!! ^.^

Oshi
01-19-2003, 04:43 PM
*definately is too lazy to diet* -_-
I eat crappily... I sit around on the computer most of the day... I have my high metabolism to thank that I'm not a blob -_-

But this thread looks very helpful.... hm... now if I can just stick to something for once...

Yuna-X2
01-19-2003, 06:38 PM
Wow. I was kinda avoiding this thread forever, but I finally read all 8 pages of it and I'm just like :omfg: Cause of all the stuff I learned. Right now, I am looking into the DDR thing, cause it looks loads of fun! I'm just wondering though, it keeps mentioning having some sort of pad thing or something. I'd get into it, but it sounds as if it needs equipment, something I just don't have the money for. Do you need the pad to use DDR? Hope not. Cause if I don't need it, I'm running to Walmart and buying a copy! :P

Dr. Makoti Jean
01-19-2003, 07:58 PM
TV is the root of all eviL! 0\_/0 Hehe Seriously if ya want to loose weight cut that TV time. When you watch it, it will make you more hungier. Believe me I have cable, there is nothing exciting in TV with all these lame reality shows... -_-

Hope that helps! ^-^

Koumori
01-19-2003, 08:17 PM
Yeah, you do need the pad to play DDR - it's no fun trying to play it with the hand-held controllers, and it isn't any exercise that way either!

Xx Lulu xX
01-19-2003, 08:22 PM
Yes..I need to get a new pad....i was so sad when my pad broke...

digikoomi
01-19-2003, 08:29 PM
well you can play it on the floor too, just have to set it to auto play mode

Bell-chan
01-19-2003, 08:43 PM
This thread is so informative! I'm actually glad it's so long, because there is a lot of very good advice. I was aware of many of them before, but this was a good reminder, and I learned so many new things!

As for my story, my dad had started eating less carbohydrates (more protein, but not more fat : salads with lean chicken ^_^) back in May 2002 because his sister had success with it. I had started this too in July, since I'd be eating less sugar as well (nooo!! there goes my bread obsession! XD). This wasn't a temporary change either. It's a change in lifestyle that hasn't noticeably disrupted my metabolism. I've noticed slight changes, but I didn't want to become a stick, so that's OK. Water is a very important part of it, too; carbonated drinks just seem so unhealthy to me. I probably drink less than 2 cans of soda a year (I'm glad I never felt dependent on soda...). I need to change my exercising habits though... and thanks to this thread I found some good ideas to target certain areas :P

Yuna-X2
01-19-2003, 08:52 PM
*pouts* Well, where can i get one of these pads? Do they sell them in places like Walmart, or do I need to find speciality stores and stuff?

Xx Lulu xX
01-19-2003, 08:53 PM
^^ I go to my local gaming store :D

maikaeirn
01-20-2003, 01:18 PM
I can diet fine, although every now and then i do get tempted. When my friends and i go out and start eating fatty foods and teasing me because i can't eat them, only makes it harder. *sigh* Don't i have some great friends... -_-

Trust me, it was one of the hardest things i had to do...
... but eventually i got through it and now i'm more active and in shape. I must have lost about 30 pounds. Here's my advice:

1. Drink water. Sodas and all of those sugary drinks only makes it harder.
2. If you fail sometime, don't punish yourself. Just keep striving.
3. Exercise! Especially running and swimming. I'm on my school's swim team and that works your whole body! It really tones and strengthens all of your muscles.
4. Try to cut down on the carbs. Pastas, cheese and etc.
5. Protein is your friend! Eggs! They get you full really quickly
5. Since i too targeted my abs, crunches and sit ups work really well. Don't forget to work out the back muscles, because strengthening one side of your body and not the other can be really bad for you.

Hope everything works out for you!

Xx Lulu xX
01-20-2003, 02:45 PM
I need to learn how to resist temptation...-.-; ugh...damn my school...I work in a culinary arts class....so its very hard for me to resist...when the teacher comes and shoves food in my face to make me taste it...^^ But i'm learning how to say no :D

Setsuna22
01-20-2003, 05:21 PM
I lnow this is thread is for Lulu, but just a question! How can I get rid of stress munchies!?! Ive got a million things happening in my life right now, and no free time, and I end up eating whenever I study, or have down time in play practice?
Thanks
(Btw, excercise and Healthy eating, yes, eating, will keep you in shape! I lost 20 pounds in in a month with this plan!)

Xx Lulu xX
01-20-2003, 05:22 PM
^^ Silly~! This thread isnt just about me anymore~! I had no clue it'd get this big.....^^ I'm glad to help everyone who needs it

Kurenai
01-20-2003, 05:37 PM
Lately I've had that "constantly sick with something" feeling (like a cold, but doesn't go away) and I've been really sluggish and tired. Can you guys suggest anything that would make me feel better, like certain foods and/or activities?

Xx Lulu xX
01-20-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Kurenai
Lately I've had that "constantly sick with something" feeling (like a cold, but doesn't go away) and I've been really sluggish and tired. Can you guys suggest anything that would make me feel better, like certain foods and/or activities?

When I have that "constantly sick w/ something" feeling, I like to put on my favorite pair of pajamas, make myself a nice bowl of soup, and do something relaxing, like yoga, or painting...^^ Or soak in a nice hot bath and read some mangas~! Hope that helped :D

KitsuNessa
01-20-2003, 05:42 PM
try going vegetarian...making sure you replace protein sources like meat with things like soy and beans and legumes....

It just takes weight off of EVERYWHERE. Makes you FEEL less heavy too...which can help you get more motivated to excercise.

Koumori
01-20-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by KitsuNessa
try going vegetarian...making sure you replace protein sources like meat with things like soy and beans and legumes....

Didn't make any difference to me - I like cheese. A lot. :)

Aoshi Shinomori
01-20-2003, 06:08 PM
for the ddr pads.. u would probably need to order them online or visit your gaming store.. the more expensive the pad.. the better.. I got one that is like 120 bucks.. its pretty big.

Kurenai
01-20-2003, 06:19 PM
Hmm....yoga sounds pretty good right now actually ^_^ As my friend says, "A day with a morning of yoga is a better day than a morning without yoga ^^" or something. Thanks!

Another general weight-loss-ish tip: I make myself a big pot of tea and drink it all day. I use only a little bit of leaves so it doesn't turn out too strong. It fills me up and makes me feel better, and it's less boring than water ^_^

Xx Lulu xX
01-20-2003, 06:21 PM
Yumm~! I think i'll drink my Jasmine tea tomorrow...Yumm

Lynzie
01-20-2003, 06:52 PM
What kind of exercises will help me to lose weight from my butt? :P I've been "dieting" for about six months, and I've gained about 10 pounds (from muscle... ^^;; I've played an insane amount of DDR and Dance Maniax.) and lost about 7 inches off of my waist and 5 or 6 off my bust... but only 2 or three off my hips/butt! And that's what I'm worried about most. I think if my butt were smaller, I'd look and feel all-around healthier.

And about cutting off soda; can anyone reccomend a good way of doing it? ^^; I know this sounds stupid, but over the past four years or so I've gotten really... dependent on Coke. ^^; If I don't have at least one can of it a day, I go nuts. It's not the caffiene; Mom decided it'd be nice to cut me off of Coke for a while but give me some other caffinated stuff, and I was still in super-bitch mode, which is why she gave me my Coke back. I used to drinki probably four cans a day, if not more, but now I've cut it down to one or two a day... but I can't seem to get it down any further. I DO drink a lot of water, and while I'm at work I refuse to drink anything but. I just don't know how I can cut myself off of soda if I go straight into super-bitch mode if I don't have my Coke. @_@

Kurenai
01-20-2003, 07:17 PM
I'd say you could try having half a can a day (since it's only like 50 extra calories) but then you might be tempted to drink the other half....in which case you could try getting the 2 liter bottles or such. I'm guessing you don't like the diet kind..but if you do, that definitely helps.

Xx Lulu xX
01-20-2003, 07:19 PM
^^ Ahh Thats a good tip for me too~! I need cut back on the soda....ugh.....its so sweeet.....

Lynzie
01-20-2003, 07:27 PM
My Mom would kill me if I had half a can; if I'm gonna have one, I'd better finish it in her opinion. @_@ I can't stand the Diet Kind... it tastes like... ugh, I don't even know, but I about puke if I try to drink it. ^^;; I think I'll just try not drinking it at all and see what happens... and if I do go into my super-bitch mode, THEN I'll have some. Let's just hope I notice I'm in a bad mood before everyone around me does. @__@

Xx Lulu xX
01-20-2003, 07:32 PM
Maybe you could ween yourself off of it....like have one can and a glass of water at about the same time one day, then slowly drink more water and less soda, untill you feel you dont need the soda anymore, hope that helps

Xx Lulu xX
01-20-2003, 07:51 PM
Ok, this is my rough routine i've sketched for my exercise and eating...and I'd greatly appreciate your guys opinions.

Food(Per Day)
6-8 glasses of water

Breakfast-
Scrambled Eggs on Rye Toast
Glass of Milk
Glass of OJ
Fruit

Lunch-
Cup of Soup
Glass of Jasmine Tea
PB&J Sandwich on Rye Bread
Salad w/ low fat dressing

Dinner-
Salad w/ low fat dressing
^^ One Brand Name Low Fat Frozen Dinner Thingy
Glass of Jasmine Tea (Damn its good)
Fruit

Exercise
15 minutes of stretching
4 sets of 25 Crunches
3 sets of 10 Push-ups
1 hr of running

Well thats it, whatta ya think? Any input would be greatly appreciated

Koumori
01-20-2003, 08:20 PM

Well thats it, whatta ya think? Any input would be greatly appreciated

I think you shouldn't eat the same thing every day... you'll almost certainly get bored. A little leeway to eat just a *little* bit of your favorite things is good, too. Other than that, that looks pretty good and balanced to me! :)

Xx Lulu xX
01-20-2003, 08:22 PM
^^ Yay~! I'll be sure to spice things up, and throw in a treat~! Yumm :: drool :: coffee cakes.....yumm......maybe i'll switch the salads around with something like tuna salad, or fruit...Yumm...^^ Again koumori you're an inspiration~!

silent_hippo
01-20-2003, 09:40 PM
i used to run 6 miles a day, and boy was i slim, then i started karate 4 years ago, and got beefy.... Tip: don't run an hour right away, run for as long as you feel comfortable, then walk for a while. then run a little more. Every week, increase your distance in running just a tinny bit, like to the next mail box, or focus on speed, and just that little tiny bit of less walking. Remember running is like weight loss, it must be a gradual change. Sooner than you can believe it, you'll run a mile, then 2 miles, and so on.

Also get an ab work out tape, ab roller tape is GREAT... minus the ab roller (don't get it, it takes the resistance out of your workout, resistance is what tones you up), and vary the sit ups you do, you can do sit ups that are targeted for a specific area of you abs. And only loose 1-2 lbs a week, any more, and it won't be a permenent weight loss.

A balanced diet is great, how ever, any doctor will tell you the traditional food pyrimyd is obsolete. You should only have about 4 servings of grains a day, and alot more fruit. It's alot harder to convert fructose into fat than it is carbs. Your cells run on converted gluecose into fructose, so it takes more energy adding bonds needed to turn a small molecule, like fructose, into a big one, like a polyscharraride.

OH!! and warm up before streching! it sounds silly, but you can do some serious damage if your goal is to increase flexibiliy. I remember when i was training my body to do the "american splits", i don't have the jointry for the "other splits". I didn't warm up a few times, and it felt just as bad as if i had a work out. Also if you strech in the evening, you will be more flexible in the eving, if you stretch in the morning, the same. So stretch when it's convient to you. Or stretch a little in the morning, and a little in the evening. I stretch solely in the eveing, which i shouldn' because i can't even touch my toes in the morning, but in the evening i'm ready for action.

Hope this helps.

Xx Lulu xX
01-20-2003, 09:49 PM
**takes tons of notes** ^^ WOW~! You're a genious.....

Carmila
01-20-2003, 09:51 PM
Wow, I felt like I just took another Health class, but here they give it to you in one shot. Awesome!

Kurenai
01-20-2003, 10:05 PM
Xx Lulu xX, jasmine tea is godly ^_^ I've been chugging it all day and it doesn't bore me like doing the same to matť and green would

Alisa
01-20-2003, 10:08 PM
^good tips and pointers. They work really well. Swimming and running are my favorite.

Xx Lulu xX
01-20-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Kurenai
Xx Lulu xX, jasmine tea is godly ^_^ I've been chugging it all day and it doesn't bore me like doing the same to matť and green would

^^ YES I LOVE IT~! I have a whole tin, my friend Holly brought it from Japan for me....^^ she's a major business trip person and shes always brining me little things from asian countries~!

silent_hippo
01-21-2003, 01:24 AM
swimming is great! MARCO???

polo! And tea is good tooo, i must drink half a gallon of it a day.

I'm not a sprinter, i'm too slow, so i always focused on distance. I also suck at track running because i get bored. I'm good at "trail running", and runing on the streets. IF you do go out this time of year, wear 2 pairs of long jonhs, or a pair and a spandex type of body suit like garnet wears. spandex is the BEST thing for retaining body heat, that's why it gets soo hot in the bras, lol.

Nine
01-21-2003, 01:47 AM
Some advice for Lulu cosplayers:
If you're interested in getting that great upper body (chest to neck) so you look nice in your Lulu costume, take up some Para Para dancing. Not only will it get that definition at the upper chest, and sholders... it's really fun, addictive, and easy! Anyone at any fitness level can do it as well, which is really cool! :D

DancingVampire
01-21-2003, 05:37 AM
If you want to take yoga ::Warning unless you've had some kind of previous strech activity make sure you no that yoga is ALOT of work but its really good for you:: I also take ballet which is really good, DDR also helps

Nine
01-21-2003, 05:44 AM
I totally agree with DDR. It makes those leg muscles HARD as a rock! I should take it up again, I use to be addicted to it!

Carmila
01-21-2003, 10:37 AM
I love playing DDR for exersize as well as riding a bicycle. They are doing wonders for my legs! DDR is lots of fun, and best when you can do it with someone. Then it becomes more of a challenge because you want to do your best and show off to everyone! he he he

TheLoneWolf
01-21-2003, 05:06 PM
*OFF TOPIC WARNING*

Y'know,ultra breweing green and Jasmine teas gives them a reddish hue,then add milk in it (becoming Pink Tea) and adding ground-up pistashios.It's called "Kashmiri Chai" and is really VERY VERY good!

Kurenai
01-21-2003, 06:13 PM
That does sound good! I need to make it sometime!

KitsuNessa
01-21-2003, 08:42 PM
It's weird to me that so many people drink soda....as a child I was never allowed anything with artificial color or flavor, or anything excessively sugary (over 10g per serving) except on special occasions....
and I still don't drink soda today...I just can't. It's far too sweet for me and makes me feel sick! It's like liquid candy!
I avoid sugary foods to this day because my body just doesn't like it...and hey...that's not too bad.

Kurenai
01-21-2003, 10:05 PM
Yet another experience tip: never go shopping while hungry X_x

silent_hippo
01-21-2003, 11:43 PM
Lynzie:

Ack! i only check the forums once a day!

"What kind of exercises will help me to lose weight from my butt? :P I've been "dieting" for about six months, and I've gained about 10 pounds (from muscle... ^^;; I've played an insane amount of DDR and Dance Maniax.) and lost about 7 inches off of my waist and 5 or 6 off my bust... but only 2 or three off my hips/butt! And that's what I'm worried about most. I think if my butt were smaller, I'd look and feel all-around healthier. "

I used to be pretty conscience about my back side. But the muscle is actually in your butt, you @ss is the powerhouse of your legs, so that's a good thing. And besides, a bigger bottom means more curves. Now aren't women suppose to be curvy, and guys all beanny?? At any rate, the force from playing the game has "beefed" up protiens inbetween your muscle tissue. Musscles do not regenerate, they stay in the G1 stage, nor do you get "more muscle" you just get more stuff, like protiens between the fibers. You can slim down your butt with lean muscles, like walking, noooo hard core exersices, like maniac mode to paranoia rebirth, just smooth areobic stuff. I looovveee DDR too.

Personally though, i wouldn't worry about it. Guys like curves... ^_~ and the j-lo look is in.

Koumori
01-22-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by silent_hippo

"What kind of exercises will help me to lose weight from my butt?

There's no such thing as "spot reduction" of fat - when you lose fat, you lose it all over; there's no way to target fat on your stomach, butt, etc. Everyone is genetically programmed to store fat differently - I've got my mom's hips, for example. The only thing you can do is work on toning the muscle in the areas you want to target - which will help tighten the appearance of them. I recommend lots of front and back lunges and step exercises for the butt - the Firm has some great videos for that (not the ones you see on TV now, but their older ones from the 80s.. the production is incredibly dated, but the exercises are fantastic).

Kagato
01-22-2003, 12:26 PM
I only just now found this thread and I noticed someone mentioned the Atkins Diet earlier. It worked wonders for me. I lost 140 lbs and reduced my blood pressure and cholesterol to very healthy levels. It can be a real hard diet to follow, no sugar whatsoever, no pizza, no pasta, a serious reduction in carbohydrates. It was hard to stick to, but I saw results in the first two weeks, probably because I had so much to lose. I had the worse headache of my life during the first three days, kicking caffeine and sugar cold turkey can have a big impact.

Along with the diet, I made sure to exercise 5 days a week, nothing to stressful just 30 minute walks every morning. I made sure to take vitamin supplements as well, altering my diet the way I did took out many natural sources of vitamins.

Iím not saying this diet will work for everyone, I think its more important to find the method that works for you. Its also a real good idea to pay attention to your health, the tag line about not starting a diet without consulting a doctor is good advice.

Losing weight is one of the big reasons why Iím finally giving Cosplay a try. :)

Koumori
01-22-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Kagato
I only just now found this thread and I noticed someone mentioned the Atkins Diet earlier. It worked wonders for me. I lost 140 lbs and reduced my blood pressure and cholesterol to very healthy levels. It can be a real hard diet to follow, no sugar whatsoever, no pizza, no pasta, a serious reduction in carbohydrates.

Are you still on it? It sounds like you weren't able to maintain such a radical change in lifestyle permanently, which is what I hear about Atkins.

Lynzie
01-22-2003, 02:29 PM
:P I don't like the J-Lo look. I don't agree with Sir Mixalot~ I don't like big butts. ^^; Oh well, I guess I'll eventually lose it all if I stick with it. I was just hoping there was a way to do it a little faster. ^^

Kagato
01-22-2003, 02:31 PM
Iíve added some carbohydrates back into my diet, with a measure of common sense of course. Itís no longer as hard-core as when I started.

For instance, I treat myself by joining my friends about twice a month for pizza, or having wheat toast with breakfast on the weekends. I enjoyed everything at Thanksgiving, putting the diet on hold for the day. Some of the real dramatic changes in my diet were the elimination of stuff that was bad for me anyway. So much of what is readily available as junk food is high in carbs.

I've found it pretty easy to maintain the weightloss I've achieved so far.

ChibiRinoa
01-22-2003, 09:16 PM
my dad was on the Atkins diet since the new year...and his doctor told him to get off it because it wasnt healthy....-shrugs-

Kagato
01-23-2003, 11:25 AM
Yeah, the medical community has a real mixed view of that diet.

Thats one of the reasons I mentioned checking with a doctor before trying a dramatic change in diet. I think thats important before considering Atkins, fasting or anything that could possibly have negative side effects.

Koumori
01-23-2003, 11:40 AM
Yeah, the medical community has a real mixed view of that diet.

Yes, the jury is still very much out. There haven't been many studies on it yet, and because it's so new there aren't any studies yet on the long-term efficacy and health effects of it.

digikoomi
01-23-2003, 03:52 PM
to loose butt, listen here! sit on the floor and have both your leg straight, start moving forward and than back by using your butt ^^;; this must sound werid, but it's Yoga lesson

KitsuNessa
01-23-2003, 04:56 PM
The Atkins-type diet is good for reducing hypertension as well...(high blood pressure)...my dad was on it (no starch, no sugar) and he lost about 20 lbs and SIGNIFICANTLY lowered his blood pressure...which is wonderful since now he doesn't have to take meds for it...so if not for losing weight, it's ok for something.

Kellie
01-24-2003, 08:09 AM
I just wanted to post this:

Where I work, people eat constantly and not healthy things either. Someone is constantly bringing in cakes, cookies...all sorts of things one should not be indulging in when trying to get into shape.

I was getting down and depressed because I knew I was gaining weight instead of losing weight because I would just snack all day.

Finally, I put my foot down because I was tired of being miserable and wanted to be healthy. Since then (that was about two-three weeks ago) I've stopped snacking both at home and work, I eat three sensible meals and consume water, tea or juice (most orange for vitamin c!). I don't starve myself because if you starve yourself your body will not lose any weight since it will keep the fat to survive and keep warm and so forth. My DDR pad came, so I certainly will begin a daily exercise routine once I'm no longer hacking and coughing and feeling better.

^___^ Inspiration and advice and knowing people are there to help you along the way is always a great feeling when you're trying to tackle losing weight. Its hard and I think people who truly understand what you're going through, or went through the process and found something successful will have the most positive impact.

Good luck to everyone! ^_^ I'm certainly not going to give up now.

Xx Lulu xX
01-26-2003, 01:57 PM
I'm estatic, I'm loosing my gut~! I'm so happy, I was taking a shower this morning, and i looked in the mirror when i was standing sideways~! OMG~! Thanks So Much For All Your Tips and Pointers~! If i keep this up I'll loose it all in like another 3 weeks~! :D ^^ I"M SO HAPPY

Yuna-X2
01-26-2003, 07:02 PM
Congratulations!! :D:D

Koumori
01-26-2003, 07:28 PM
That's great, Lulu!!! Now let's hope I can be inspired by your example... I've been completely off base since Christmas!

nyamiko_chan
01-26-2003, 07:52 PM
:crylaugh:

One of my new years resolutions was to get fit and lose some of my own 'gut'..LoL

only cuz i wanna get more muscle there and hopefully be able to feel better about myself :)

I think if you wanna lose it for other cause as well you should GO FOR IT!!

BUT...pace yourself! i lost about 10 lbs. over 4 months of walking everywhere...No $$ for TTC..*crud*

if i lived where you did i'd exercise with you...LoL..lazy friends don't wanna run and stuffs..*mummbles*

Anyways..Have fun while doing it ^.^
byes!!

number18
01-26-2003, 08:24 PM
Ok. Maybe I am jumping on this thread a little late, but my boyfriend is a nutritionist, and he just posted something similar on his brazilian jiu-jitsu forum about eating right and losing weight and all that jazz.

What some people already mentioned is good, like stop drinking soda (altogether would be nice, but it tastes good) and drink more water and juice. Oh wait, my boyfriend wants to say something...and I quote:

"Don't wake up at 5 AM and have a meal and then go back to sleep. Along with that, don't eat a meal at least two hours before you go to sleep at night. The reason is that your metabolism more or less shuts itself down when you sleep, thus what you have in your belly will not be burned up properly. SO, you will be adding a lot more 'fatty' substances to your system. As for muscle burning more fat, that is true. However, that doesn't mean that you should go on to some kind of weight lifting program. What you should be doing is at least a half an hour of aerobic exercise every other day (think DDR!). I would suggest an hour every other day. In truth, in whatever you do, you don't start burning ANY fat whatsoever until 20 minutes into whatever workout you choose. How it works is, your heart doesn't start pumping harder until that 20 minute mark...so in all honesty, anyhting that you do AFTER the 20 minutes is the only thing that's going to help you...which is why they say eat RIGHT after a workout, when the heart is still pumping and your metabolic rate is kicked up a little. Basically, try to eat several small meals a day, increasing your carbohydrate intake (the "good" ones) and your protein intake to turn your body into a machine. And if you truly are interested in working out (running or whatnot) try to make it the first thing you do in the morning. When you first get up in the morning, your body will burn fat 600% times more efficiently."

And that's all from him as he trails off into napping. What Alisa said is also very true....oh wait he has something else to say.

"You cannot target tone a particular section of your body. So don't solely work out your stomach muscles to burn stomach fat, because it just does not work like that. You can make your stomach muscles stronger and more toned, but you'd still have all that fat over them. Why? Cause your body burns fat as a whole, not in sections. Some people are genetically predisposed to gain fat around their midsections (love handles and all that), while some in their thighs and some the backs of their arms. SO if you're going to try and burn fat, don't think of it as 'I'm going to target my stomach and get rid of all that icky fat.' It won't happen that way. The reason I mention where people gain fat and how it's different from others is just an example of why it's hard to burn fat sometimes, cause if you're predisposed to gaining fat around your tummy, it's going to be much harder to burn fat around there...cause that's where your body was designed (genetically speaking) to place the fat in your caveman days when being flubbery was important. So you have to think of it all as a whole. That is all I have to say. Forgive me for rambling. I'm tired. Night. I'll be here all week."

And um...yeah, he summed it up. All I have to add onto that is just do some exercise that's fun. Dance around when the song is good. Run up the stairs two by twos....stuff like that. We're all lazy...just try and cut down on the laziness. :D

HuongStar
01-26-2003, 08:41 PM

You're better off eating fresh fruit rather than drinking the juice. There is an ungodly amount of sugar/carbohydrates in fruit juice that can make it almost as bad as soda!

Adjusting portions and cutting out many processed foods, upping your exercise regimen to 1 hour every 3 to 4 days (you have to get heart rate pumping!), 8 to 10 glasses of water every day, and being realistic are keys to weight loss. ^_^ Do not feel like you need to deprive yourself of your favorite things; just remind yourself to not use food as comfort and control your portions.

Xx Lulu xX
01-26-2003, 09:20 PM
Btw, i was just wondering what is the amount needed per glass of water, cuz i just take a big glass and drink it, ^^; i'm know I'm off by a long shot :thumbsup: is it unhealty? or do I not need that many glasses?

Lynzie
01-27-2003, 12:29 AM
Supposedly it's 8 8oz glasses of water. I usually have a big glass before bed, and during the day I drink two 24oz water bottles. ^^; (Of course in the same bottle. :D)

Koumori
01-27-2003, 07:32 AM
Btw, i was just wondering what is the amount needed per glass of water, cuz i just take a big glass and drink it, ^^; i'm know I'm off by a long shot :thumbsup: is it unhealty? or do I not need that many glasses?

6-8 (8 oz.) glasses of water is the usual recommendation, and I think that's the optimum amount that will keep your body from retaining water or bloating, as too much or too little water will do.

Xx Lulu xX
01-27-2003, 11:17 AM
6-8 (8 oz.) glasses of water is the usual recommendation, and I think that's the optimum amount that will keep your body from retaining water or bloating, as too much or too little water will do.

^^; Phew good thing you told me that koumori, or i'd end up a whale from retaining water ^^; Or i could go for 3-6 16 oz...XD ^^: sorry i'm so corny...

Hikaruchan
01-27-2003, 12:19 PM
I have started to try cutting back on the soda(have tried this a couple times before but have relapsed). Water here is nasty, but I brought some back from Ky that tastes better. Also, trying to drink milk if get tired of water. I still drink some soda at work - but not buying soda for home as that would be too tempting to have around. I will eventually try to cut down at work too.
Also, the past year work wore me out with the constant retraining which stressed me out and left me with not much time or energy to spare. Since I am now in a training lull, my spirits and energy have started picking up and have started cleaning my apartment and exercising again. Also, with not being so worn out started to eat healthier - instead of just getting fast junk to eat so I could go to bed as soon as got home.
Hoping to at least get back to weight I was before I started retraining, as that had been a weight I had been steady at til all heck cut loose last year.

Dr. Makoti Jean
01-27-2003, 12:34 PM
Guys I just have to say thank you SO much *hugs for everyone*. With all these great tips, I dropped like 3 lbs. in three days. This is how I did it. I ate my three meals a day only when I was hungry, that meant for me to refill on energy. Then after the meal I exercised in my room. Since I don't have DDR like some of you, I did what I like to call "DDR Ghetto mix". o,0 I took my walkman with my DDR music and just went with the beat. I also drink juice and water, they work wonders. Plus lots of fruit with your meals and snacks. It's also nice to slip in a sweet ONCE in a while -,^ . My sweet is fudgy pops. (Fudgesicles)

So once again thank you.

Xx Lulu xX
01-27-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Makoti Jean
Guys I just have to say thank you SO much *hugs for everyone*. With all these great tips, I dropped like 3 lbs. in three days.

^^; Congrats, but woah, take it slow, i dont think that 1lb a day is healthy....but I still say your damn lucky, i'd kill to loose 3 lbs in 3 days....but alas i'm doing good myself, but anyways Congrats Again

Koumori
01-27-2003, 01:41 PM
^^; Congrats, but woah, take it slow, i dont think that 1lb a day is healthy....but I still say your damn lucky, i'd kill to loose 3 lbs in 3 days....but alas i'm doing good myself, but anyways Congrats Again

If you're just starting out, it's totally normal to lose a lot of weight in the first week or two - when I first started, I lost 7 lbs the first week - but most of it is water. You'll probably stabilize to a healthy 1-2 pounds per week after that. Good going!

Kagato
01-27-2003, 04:14 PM
Very true, nearly everything I've read talks about water weight loss in the begining of a diet, and thats what I experienced.

The speed of loss really isn't important (unless its unhealthily fast) its steady progress that counts. Also, don't be discouraged if you hit a plateau. Thats where you've been losing weight and suddenly stop, even though you haven't gone off the diet or changed it. In the course of my weight loss, I'd hit several spots where I'd go two weeks or so without losing any weight, then it would start again. Most of the diet books out there talk about it, its bound to happen, just don't get discouraged by them.

Congrats on what you've accomplished so far!

Xx Lulu xX
01-27-2003, 08:58 PM
Also, don't be discouraged if you hit a plateau.

Yarg~! I've definatly hit a plateau, but its all good, i can wait...i'm already halfway through with my goal, so I can take it :D

Serenader
01-27-2003, 10:29 PM
o.o...Hi. ^^; I'm new, but this post really got me interested!

I think the original post was about flattening abs...? Well, that was my goal, too...so, I'm so glad I found this post in time for Otakon in August! X_x;;

I agree with everything. My mom was anorexic, and because she starved herself, she has major heart issues. Ack~ So, don't starve yourself. Not only is it majorly not healthy at the moment, it can lead to long term issues that can affect your life *permanently*. And it just ain't cool. >D

Anyway, I wanted to make a note!

Make sure to take lots of iron. I'm not overweight, a healthy 119 lbs., 5'1", but I didn't take in alot of iron. For that, my parents suspect I'm anemic now. I became very lethargic and sluggish and I had to sleep a ton. I also got moody and got lots of headaches. This also could have had something to do with my kidney problems, but hey, that's besides the point. Make sure to get your iron! It's essential.

Also, vitamins are a good idea for a healthy diet. Mmm, Flintstones >3~

I also heard that oversleeping and staying up late isn't good for your skin. Oil, I guess. Can someone confirm this?

Otherwise, I agree with everyone! Exercise, plenty of calcium, iron, veggies, fruits, rest, and mizu! But having a soda every once in awhile or nibbling a cookie is also a good idea. >> Don't wanna deprive yourself forever. Just be careful!

Also, I have a question: I have a problem with fat collecting on the inside of my thighs near my womanly areas. Are there any ways I can get rid of the flab to add onto my ab work outs?

Thanks guys for the good tips, and I'm happy to be here. >>! *waves to Kaje* >3~

soaze
02-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Serenader
Also, I have a question: I have a problem with fat collecting on the inside of my thighs near my womanly areas. Are there any ways I can get rid of the flab to add onto my ab work outs well, besides running, the best thing would probably be laying on one side, and bring with the top leg away from the other leg(making a V with your legs)-after you reach a certain height, bring the top leg slowly down-try to control it so that it works the muscles in the inner thigh-after a while you can add one of those little ankle weights if you want to help even more...

it'll help work the outer and inner thigh respectively... try and do both at an equal, slow, controlled pace :)

Xx Lulu xX
02-22-2003, 04:24 PM
O.o; wow, i though this thread was dead...ahah ^.^

ainslye
02-22-2003, 05:26 PM
fasting is horribly bad for you. It's dangerous -- you can pass out that way. Your body needs fuel, it can't run on nothing.

Sometimes people say "oh i need to lose weight" when they really mean "oh i need to tone my stomach" as well (I'm in that category). Do crunches ... 30 at a time with no stopping in between... do this 3 times. If you can find one of those incline machines where your head is lower than your feet, even better... but its not necessary. do this every day and your stomach will tone up nicely. Cut out all that soda and cut back on red meant as well. little no no fast food and other higly processed foods (canned foods, those "helper" foods that come in the box where you just ad meat, etc).
good luck! remember -- fad and crash diets don't work. you may lose temporary weight, but without the exercize you wont' be tones at all, and as soon as you go off the diet you'll gain it all back plus more. I've heard that 4 to 5 TINY meals a day is good for you, too. (no snacking, no big meals, so you're more likely to work it off in between)

soaze
02-22-2003, 07:35 PM
O.o; wow, i though this thread was dead...ahah ^.^ heh, i just figured i'd try to help and answer her question :)

true, fasting is dangerous, and bad for you-but if you NEED to loose weight quickly, fasting really is the best way.. i ate nothing but a can of soup for a day, for two days during baseball tryouts(couldn't eat anymore, was that tired... it actually hurt to eat) anyway, lost 10 lbs in 2 days..... and you don't necessairly put weight right back on after fasting.... fasting could be a good way to start in loosing weight-people need incentive to eat half of what they used to-a quick jolt by fasting does that...

anyway, for loosing weight i agree, eating about half of what you used to is best-and cutting out snacking-i lost like 30 pounds by that alone.... thats even without excersize :D

Xx Lulu xX
02-22-2003, 07:38 PM
^.^ Woot, i've lost the weigh i've wanted to~! I'm soo happy, i'm back to my ideal weight....-.-; although i still have a little tummy, i've found a PERFECT way to hide it under a costume, my cousin has this weird.....shirt like bra thing, XD so i just slide it down, and its very un noticable.....so i'm set~! Thanx to all of you, you all helped me beat the weight!

Amano Jyaku
02-22-2003, 08:32 PM
I started doing the low carb thing about a two weeks ago and have lost about 10 lbs. Granted, I didn't need to lose the weight but I'm 160lbs and i was about 130 in high school. That was 6 years ago but still, i want to get rid of that beer gut that most guys my age have. I also started boxing again after a 5 year hiatus.
So i would recommend the low carb thing with a healthy dose of excercise. Two weeks of really hard physical training will bulk up your muscle mass. So while aerobics are good try some strength training too, like kickboxing. That should get ya in shape pretty quick, and you can always use the training to kick someones ass if the occasion should arise.

:devil:
Amano

Koumori
02-22-2003, 09:14 PM
Good for you, Lulu! Congratulations!!

Kurenai
02-23-2003, 02:46 PM
It is really good to hear about what you guys have done--I've had a horrible diet ever since I got sick, but you guys inspire me to want to feel healthy again and eat better foods.

This is a little off-topic, but does anyone here ever just want to stop eating meat, simply because you feel your body telling you that it's gross? This happens to me sometimes. Not because I suddenly want to go veggie (even though it is healthier) but because sometimes I can't look at meat without thinking "Eww..I don't know how I could eat that". This comes and goes; I'm not sure why. It doesn't really have anything to do with the fact that I'm eating animals, just the stuff itself.

Xx Lulu xX
02-23-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Caryn

And it was mentioned before, but taking stairs two at a time works your glutes, so you can get that butt in shape lol. I skip a step every time I take stairs now ^^;;

Ahaha~! Savior...i need to tighten mah bunz lol...I had trouble gettin into one of mah costumes...cuz mah butt is too big lol

Xx Lulu xX
02-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Caryn
I really need to get DDR...it sounds so fun & effective for exercise, too.

Yeah if you get Konamix they actually have a thing where it tells you how many calories you burn, but i wouldnt rely on it though, cuz if you use the control you still burn the same amount lol....but its fun, i LOVE ddr...it was probably 75% of my exercise when i was dieting...lol i still go like one a week or two...and if i cant make it, i have a bunch of songs, and i get the steps from ddrfreak.com...and i just go with it, i know that i'm totally off beat, but its still fun, but when i'm just in the mood to move i just dance in mah room, i kno its corny but hell it works lol

Kurenai
02-23-2003, 04:36 PM
What I've found with DDR exercise mode is that it's easier than regular game mode...I think the Maniac songs provide a better workout no matter how bad you are as long as you attempt to get all of them ^^

Cait
02-23-2003, 05:16 PM
This is a little off-topic, but does anyone here ever just want to stop eating meat, simply because you feel your body telling you that it's gross? This happens to me sometimes. Not because I suddenly want to go veggie (even though it is healthier) but because sometimes I can't look at meat without thinking "Eww..I don't know how I could eat that". This comes and goes; I'm not sure why. It doesn't really have anything to do with the fact that I'm eating animals, just the stuff itself.

*nods* I used to not care as a kid, but now a days I just can't even touch it if I can see the bone of the origional creature or know that that line or tough piece of the meat was once a living artery or vein. It's just gross! I'll eat most chicken, though. I'll eat any meat that's so processed I can't be sure it is meat. Chicken nuggets or popcorn chicken or hamburgers are the only ways I get my animal protein. I just can't handle it otherwise! It's all psychological, man.

*is guilty* I don't try and starve myself, but my daily habits just make it impossible to eat. I don't have an opportunity to stuff anything in my mouth until 3PM usually.. and then I have to be satisfied with one thing (now a days a meal on the go shake in a can of varying brands) until seven. One meal a day. Can't that ever be good? I mean I feel really awkward now if I get more to eat than that... And I hate how 90% of the food in the world tastes. I just don't like food? *sighs*

How about excersizing an hour or so after you eat? I have the habit of coming home from work, reheatting everyone else's leftovers, and then going into 1- 1 1/2 hours of DDR. Is that bad? Good? Counterproductive?

Koumori
02-23-2003, 08:12 PM
It doesn't really matter what time of day you exercise, or how long after you've eaten - as long as you've given yourself enough time that you don't give yourself a side stitch, it should be fine.

People's tastes in food can change over time, easily - sometimes you might stop wanting meat, other times you might stop wanting other things. Sometimes it's your body's way of telling you what it does and doesn't need.

My girlfriend doesn't really like eating either, but it's because she's diabetic and always viewed eating as something she HAS to do. I'm trying to teach her that food is in fact enjoyable. :)

Carmila
02-24-2003, 09:46 AM
For a while in college my roommate just stopped eating meat all together for about 7 months or so. She didn't even realize she did it! It was not like she became a vegan or anything, just when we would get pizza it wouldn't have meat, or she would pass it by in the dining hall. It was really funny actually when she realized it.

Now my little sister is a different story. She has to be forced to eat sometimes because she just doesn't like the taste of food. I feel so bad for her. It is not like she has an eating disorder or anything, she just doesn't like the way food tastes. Honestly, it is the strangest thing I have ever heard.

Caryn
02-24-2003, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I used to be like that. People had to remind and even force me to eat meals because I hated the taste of food. But it was because I was eating crap like fast food and soda, now I eat lots of organic foods and it's yummy yummy ^^ I enjoy the taste of food again.

xKaori
02-24-2003, 03:41 PM
Yea!!! Eat lots of organic foods. Cut down on fast food. Exercise 15 mins at least 3-4 times a week. Then you'll be in shape. If you're a high school student (like me ^^) then join a team to keep in shape. I recommend Basketball, Football, soft/baseball, or track. It does help out a lot. XD

Isaldur
10-03-2003, 01:27 AM
Ok before I get like 3 hours behind my homework schedule for tonight (seriously I'm WAAAY off damn lack of sleep!), I'll dump my 2 cents :D

Oh geez where to start... I must admit, hearing some of you people scrutinize your weight surprised me, but in another way, if it is too much for you, I'm happy you're doing something about it and not letting it go.

I don't do much, at all. I probably exercise about 1/32nd as much as I should a week, and my diet is bad. I drink more soda then i do water, and yes, so you see..

I am a medium build person (give or take), exactly 6'.. weigh something around 265.. most in my rear [thank goodness it's not TOO obvious]

While I'm in no hurry to loose it, I have lost sleep over worrying about it before. While it's not really necessary to talk about weight or size I felt it was a good idea so you get the whole picture. I'm one of those 'morbidly? obese' people you hear criticised in the news...

But... is that totally right? my dimensions aren't too bad and aside from my upper legs (lol) I don't have fat hanging down on me everywhere (gravity hasn't gotten me yet thank goodness!) so I don't look like a balloon like the news stations make heavy people out to be.

That doesn't change the fact what I did do was extremely unhealthy, and yeah, nothing really helped. I live in a family where we buy sodas by the case.. and have several around all the time. While I've made up diets and had my restrictions before, they're incredibly hard to do.

The one that really pisses me off.

Before summer I had finally built myself up to a point where I was actually eating healthy, mind you this was sometime in May or June before things started to get really hot around here. I was drinking 1 soda a day, IF that (this took at least a month to get used to) and I could tell that instead of gaining weight I was actually loosing it, slowly, very slowly, but even holding it.. something amaznig for me.

I felt better too.. then one day the heat kicked in, a few cold sodas later my 'lifestyle' was torn to pieces. Nasty little failure.. dont' EVER let that happen to yourself

Perhaps the SIMPLEST way to start to loose weight (or at least loose the bloat) is to drop soda, first down to 1 a day (if you're like me), then to once a week. The more you do that, the quicker your sugar toleration goes away, and then soon soda doesn't have it's feeling it did before and it actually is awesome to drink one every now and then. (if you can take the sweetness).

Next thought is true, while cold turkey isn't always the greatest way to get rid of things like soda, habbits tend to kick in after a few weeks. The longer you go without it, for about 4 weeks, gravity will still hold you down, but eventually you can get the habbit into orbit and you won't think about it anymore.. then the hardest part is when you go out... and that can be fixed. I've gone weeks before where I still went to fast food places once or twice a week and didn't have a single soda

Once the bad stuff goes away, and you get your food fixed up (geez this is redundant huh?) you feel better. . and then it's MUCH easier to exercise.. sometimes I'd venture into the garage and do random stuff, run around, weight exercise, stretches, etc.. just to burn off the extra 'hyperness' I'd have from it.

So yeah, I'll agree. While sudden lifestyle changes aren't always the best, they tend to stick sometimes. When you look back at the sweet food and whatnot tho, look back at the things you hated about yourself before you started the changes and you'll forget about it :D

Hopefully my stupid advice helps. It worked for me.. once.. and it will hopefully work again :)

LiL QoH
10-03-2003, 02:57 PM
Oioioi my weight its always up and down and up and down and up and down. Right now its up, two years ago I weighed 130 maybe even 120.. maaan those were the days... Nehoo if a good way to get your metabolism up is to exercize first thing in the morning THEN eat your breakfast! You'll be shedding weight in no time, and also drink lots of water.

Hotaru's Sister
10-03-2003, 06:16 PM
Wow, this is an OLD thread. I was looking at the dates as I read ALL 14 pages and wondered how it was still active 8 months late : p

Anyway, I'm glad this thread popped back up since I've been trying to lose weight (for myseleft but cosplay is a motivation) and I don't know anyone who needs to lose.

I've never really been skinny but in high school I put on alot of weight (being in nursing does that to you). Then after high school I was no longer walking 2 miles a day to school so I put on even more weight. I always told myself it was fine, that's I'd lose eventually. I was still undere 200 afterall. Then I got a job at a doctors office and used the medical scale which put my weight way hgigher. I went and bought a new house scale and it turned out my old scale was 10 pounds off. Then, where I work patients constantly being us food as gifts so I gained more weight and peaked at 216 (I'm 5'4"). Finally at the new year I decided to seriously lose weight. About 4 months later I actually put that plan into action :thumbsup: I started using our stationary bike regularly and after about a month I started losing a little weight each week and I'd lost 11 pounds before Otakon, then i hit a plateau. Not long after Otakon we (me, sis, bf) decided to try the South Beach Diet. I lost another 11 pounds in the first two weeks and have continued to slowly lose more weight. I have slipped up these past couple of weeks though so I could use some motivation. I'm 193 now so I have at least another 50 to go.

Maxima
10-03-2003, 07:47 PM
~sorta embarrassed about this~

Is there anyway to get rid of access size from something you did earlier in your life?

What I am talking about is that I used to play varsity football in high school. Along with playing football, all the people on team were also weight training. It built a lot of muscle, and at the time I was happy with the amounts that I could "put up".

After my senior year of playing, I stopped playing football. With that, my drive to lift was gone and I stopped.

I'm 6'3"-6'4", large build, and well overweight is an understatement. I am not horrible like ones you hear about on TV, but still large enough to be made fun of.

I've been told that the excess mass built from weight lifting won't go away, but I at least want to make an effort to make it look better. Plus I am worried about my health. I come from a family that has histories of high blood pressure and cholesterol.

I read the topic already, and took note of somethings. I was just wondering if there were anymore tips to give.

Anne Packrat
10-04-2003, 06:50 PM
I just changed my eating habits. I don't snack as often, and I am using Slim Fast bars (hey I lost 30 pounds with it). I'd stay away from fad diets, even ones that have been around a long time like the Atkins diet etc, unless you talk with a doctor. Be sure to read nutrition labels too. It's good to "cheat" in small ways (having some frozen yogurt etc) and my doctor recommended having anything I wanted to eat for one meal a week.

Hanyaan
10-04-2003, 07:05 PM
Is there any way besides changing medicines to get rid of extra weight added as a side effect of medication? I'm about 20 pounds heavier than I used to be before I was put on this one medication. I'm supposed to go off it and on to something without that side effect soon, but this dumb weight won't go off! I diet. I exercise. And the weight will not go away! To make it worse, I used to be one of those kids who could eat two TV dinners a day and still be extraordinarily skinny, but this medicine changed that, and the more I take it, the more it slows my metabolism!

Does anybody know how much time it might take for medicine-induced weight to go away after switching medications?

StarChopsui
10-06-2003, 02:22 AM
Hahaha well I have found the BEST WAY TO LOSE WEIGHT!!!
1) Eat fish (salmon) for every meal
2) Swim laps (40 a day)

Argento
10-06-2003, 09:40 PM
I'm not sure if this has already been said, but...

Keep a food diary. Write down everything you eat during the day, and it works wonders for keeping a restiction on yuor caloric intake. Don't believe me? Try it. Looking at everything I ate at the end of the day really helped. I'm currently trying to lose about 15-20 lbs by January, and my big goal is 35, and since I started a diary, i've already lost 10lbs.

Thanx. ^^

Icetigris
10-08-2003, 12:39 AM
Believe it or not, becoming a vegetarian or vegan can really help. I got a lot skinnier after I became a vegetarian and it's been a lot easier to stay thin as one.

Cutting down on complex carbohydrates (like chips and bread and stuff) is really helpful too for a few reasons. If you don't eat a bunch of carbos, you won't spike your insulin levels and therefore you won't get hungry as often. Also, whatever carbos you don't burn get converted into fat, whereas protein is burned a lot more easily.

If you're going to eat stuff with fat in it, eat stuff with monounsaturated fat because it lowers your LDL (low density lipoproteins: bad cholesterol) levels. Polyunsaturated is okay because it lowers your LDLs, but it also lowers your HDLs (high density lipoproteins: good cholesterol). Saturated fat is the worst kind to eat because it lowers your HDLs and raises your LDLs. It's in anything that comes from animals. Transfatty acids are teh 3v1L and eating them is not a good idea.

Do a lot of cardiovascular excercise and weight lift too. Cardio will burn off a lot of calories and weight lifting will tone up your mucles, making your muscle cells burn more energy, so you are actually burning fat while you are resting.

Also, the number on the scale is generally not inducative of much of anything. First of all, muscle is a lot denser than fat, so you may look really awesome and still weigh a lot. Also take into account water weight. If you are dehydrated (which you should never be!), then you will weigh substantially less than if you are properly hydrated. While your actual weight is an important number, understand that it does not say whether or not you are thin or fat. Numbers that are more important to be aware of are your cholesterol and blood pressure. I have a bad history of those two things in my family and so know from experience.

Koumori
10-08-2003, 07:47 AM
I have lost 50 pounds and kept it off for over 5 years. The ONLY way to lose weight is to follow this formula:

Calories in < calories out.

That's it. You can lower your calorie intake by cutting out meat, cutting out entire food groups, or simply by controlling your portion sizes and limiting your sweets and other calorie-dense, nutrient-poor foods. But no matter what eating plan you choose to follow, that's what it boils down to. Calories in < calories out.

daguru
10-08-2003, 12:41 PM
I've kept weight off for years through weight training. It boosts your self-confidence and if you cosplay a lot of muscle-y characters(like me), it really helps out.

Argento
10-08-2003, 05:54 PM
Heh, Icetigris, I like steak too much to become a vegetarian. I hate other meat... but I like steak.

Niko
10-08-2003, 08:09 PM
Saying that you're not anorexic because you can run ten miles is abolutely not true. It just means that you aren't malnourished to the point of being unable to function in daily life.

Anorexia is a mind set. It's a lot more than a physical condition.

However, NONE of the suggestions people have posted are bad for you at all! 15 pounds is a healthy goal, unless of course you already weigh 90 pounds.... It's only when your dieting tips start to be things like..."curling up into a ball on the floor really helps quench hunger pains!" or "keep old candy wrappers so you can look at them and smell them and pretend like you just ate them!" that you need to be worried.

I'm just saying, be careful. I am sure you will be fine, but just maybe you won't. And being aware helps.

<3 Niko

zekitty
06-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Bump...! ^-^;

Uhmm... I got put on this medication about a year ago and will make you gain up to five pounds...and apparantly I've gained all five. -.- Plus a few more.

I want to look my best for Otakon this year, (especially since I'm planning to go to the swimsuit photoshoot!) and I know that weight lifting and pilates can burn fat, but the problem is that currently I'm unemployed and have next to no money, and my parents don't want to pay for me to go to a gym. I've tried jogging/walking every morning, but eventually my ankles started hurting and I began to get blisters on my feet. >.< I've been eating nothing but healthy foods for the past four weeks, walked/jogged for the first three weeks, and now that I'm trying to heal from those three weeks I'm stuck at home playing DDR and trying to stay as active as possible. The only problem is...my weight isn't going down! T^T It's staying exactly the same!

Am I doing something wrong...? :-\

Eleryth
06-28-2005, 10:12 AM
OMG, this was an old thread. o.O

Before it gets killed - zekitty, don't go by your weight alone. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you can be in perfect shape and still have a high weight (I remember reading once that Gabrielle Reese [volleyball player] weighed something like 170lbs - and it's all muscle). Try measuring your inches instead. Thighs, calves, hips, waist, bust. You're probably losing fat in places you never really expected.

I'm glad you're going about it healthily. For a page about running, try www.coolrunning.com. It has information about pains runners usually get and how to avoid/treat them. Also, you don't have to exercise to your limit every day. Every other day is better for you - then you don't reach that point and give up as easily, and it gives your body a day to rest. Try doing 30 mins of cardio one day, then maybe stretches and a little weight training (light weights, maybe situps, lunges, etc) on the other days.

Good luck.

Parasaurolophus
06-28-2005, 10:24 AM
...there are also a bunch of other threads on fitness and weight here, too.
hm. Its all about calories out > calories in. Try working into a fitness triad- combine cardio (walking is fine, ddr), weight training (pilades, squats with soup cans, pushups), and clean performance eating. If you think of your body as a machine, and only put in what it needs, then fat is going to go away. For the most part, people think they eat less calories than they actually do. This isn't to say you should eat as little as possible, cause then your body goes into starvation mode, and it will conserve any calories you eat. Eat high fiber, more lean protien (beans, fish, chicken, soy), more veggies n fruits, less refined carbs, oils. You can plug your eating and exercise habits into online trackers, like the one the USDA just put out.
And as for blisters, you might not have the right shoes. You don't have to go running every day- but walking -everywhere- can help you fit in cardio. Interval training (say, run/sprint every other telephone pole) is a great way to rev up the intensity without completely killing your joints.

zekitty
06-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Wowza! You both helped me a lot! :3 Thanks a bunch!!! :japan: :japan: :japan:

genome_loki
06-28-2005, 02:34 PM
I say if you are looking to lose weight, eat more fruits and veggies. Drink more water. Get a good night's rest. Eat breakfast. Don't eat within two hours before going to bed. Exercise regulary. Avoid sugary drinks or drinks with lots of fat, sugar (another reason why its best to stick to water). Avoid condiments (especially ones like salad dressing, mayo). Avoid things like salt. Keep treats to a minimum. Stick to more natural and less tempered with foods. Keep it as natural as possible. Skimp on oil when cooking. Use lean meats.

KANEDA
06-28-2005, 03:35 PM
work out a little and eat less. thats all. it works.

ya know, I wanna look good for all the cosplay pics that people take of me.
and the camera adds 10 pounds right?.. Right!
so I've cut back on eating. heh
I'm already a really thin guy. and I already ate very little anyways.
140 pounds is my normal healthy weight since I'm 5' 9"
BUT I've lost like 5 pounds in the last week just from eating less and workin out a little bit. but mostly from eating less.

I always look best in pics when I'm underweight.
like January 2003, right after that wench left me... I got wayyy underweight, and all the pics look really good. LOL

Not like I've ever really watched my weight or given a crap about it though, but i've found that IF i need to.. all that works for me.

Kiniro Hoshi
06-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Bump...! ^-^;

Uhmm... I got put on this medication about a year ago and will make you gain up to five pounds...and apparantly I've gained all five. -.- Plus a few more.

I want to look my best for Otakon this year, (especially since I'm planning to go to the swimsuit photoshoot!) and I know that weight lifting and pilates can burn fat, but the problem is that currently I'm unemployed and have next to no money, and my parents don't want to pay for me to go to a gym. I've tried jogging/walking every morning, but eventually my ankles started hurting and I began to get blisters on my feet. >.< I've been eating nothing but healthy foods for the past four weeks, walked/jogged for the first three weeks, and now that I'm trying to heal from those three weeks I'm stuck at home playing DDR and trying to stay as active as possible. The only problem is...my weight isn't going down! T^T It's staying exactly the same!

Am I doing something wrong...? :-\

You might want to try to target other areas of the body on top of running/ walking. You can do simple exercises that do not require a gym such as crunches, push ups, (and also for legs/ butt/ etc.) squats, wall sits, and lunges (I can't think of any others right now...). Increasing your flexibility with stretching also just makes your body feel better when you exercise, even if it doesn't help you lose weight. On food, there's only one thing I want to add onto what's been said. Exercising is not enough for some people to lose inches, watching what you eat is ESSENCIAL. I work out a bunch so I have killer abb muscles, but I don't always eat right so its just under about 3/8'' of flab so you can't see them >.<' PM me and I can also tell you some basic yoga stuff that REALLY helps me. Good Luck!