PDA

View Full Version : Last peice of the puzzle

ff6Cyan
07-13-2002, 07:49 PM
I am making a Cyan Costume. me and all my pals are making them of our respective fav ff6 characters. One of us is even dressin up as Kefka. So anyway to the point at hand. I have everyhting for my Cyan costume except the most important piece the chest plate. Should i save the money, buy a real chestplate paint it blue and decorate it. Or should i make it out of somthing. Any idea or recommendation for a medium will me greatly appreciated. Thanks and peace out!

Lady Somairot
07-13-2002, 07:59 PM
...fiiiiberglassing? there used to be a post here at cosplay.com about it... it requires much ...carefulness. O_O

i'm sure someone here actually knows something about it, unlike me. @_@

^_~ good luck

Tenshi
07-13-2002, 08:21 PM
Whoo-hoo! More FFVI cosplayers! ::glomp:: When/what are you doing these costumes for? I want to see *_*.

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=182
Here's the link to the fiberglassing thread. I found it incredibly helpful, since I think I'm going to use this method for an upcoming costume. Buying a real piece of armor might be pricey, but of course you can find anything on eBay. Are you doing the costume based on his sprite form, or one of the Amano drawings? I might be able to help you more if I know ^_^.

ff6Cyan
07-13-2002, 08:33 PM
the costume is Mostly based off the Chara of Cyan in game. But i have taken a few of the cooler elements from the drawing of him on the bow of the airship from the FF Anthology Booklet. for instance the dark blue armor with the gold trim

Lady_Sephiroth
07-13-2002, 10:51 PM
I did paper-mache armor for my Alis (Phantasy Star) costume -- itturned out very nice and was fairly durable, the problems I ran into was that the glue I used on the wires that held it on me popped off (hot glue did NOT work.) Also glaze both sides or it does weird things underneath, and line it with felt, I had an "armor hickey" from the collar rubbing on my neck.

I basically took a plastic saucer sled, did about 10-12 layers of paper mache over the whole thing and then made a template of cardboard of the exact shape I wanted, cut it out with ginzu shears (no joke, my friend has the ones from TV) glazed the whole thing with 2-3 coats of Elmer's Glue (you can also use gesso, which is mucho expensive and requires sanding) but the Elmer's took the paint nicely. A coat of clear spray paint to prime, 2 coats of base black, I hand-painted the gold accents, and 2 coats of clear to set it all. I did a combination of gluing it to the base dress and wiring the bottom part so I could get in and out of the costume. Allow several weeks for the entire process, the paper mache itself is a couple of weeks to do properly.
This is the result (thanks Kevin!) Not in this pictue the collar is crooked, I fixed it later as it was kind of like a necklace I laid over the chest plate.

http://www.fansview.com/2002/katsucon/0216a018.jpg

If you have any questions, plase e-mail me and I will try and explain in more detail how I did this.

ff6Cyan
07-13-2002, 10:57 PM
I will probably have to go with the Fiber glass, i am a really big guy about 6'5" and 250 lbs, that why i am Cyan. and the fiberglass will be more customizable. Although your idea is good for my friend who is dressing a Celes. Thanks for the idea :)