PDA

View Full Version : New Cosplay Store

Yami Rurouni
03-23-2005, 07:57 PM
there's this new anime store that opened up in richmond hill (right next to the Lazer Quest). its called Ani-Garden (or Tag's Gift) and its located on 9625 Yonge St. it's reeeeaaally tiny, but its got alot of nice stuff! there were buttons, keychains, note pads, bags and its all hand made buy the owner guy! so, if you're in the area (and you WILL be in the area) go to that store! its Kuroneko approved! :bigtu:

Katsuyuki_Shiro
03-23-2005, 08:02 PM
Oh yeah... I know about that. My friend, the president of my school's anime club, told me about it. He told me that the costumes there are for RENT and not for sale... TT_TT... crap... I was going to ask if I could commission a Seigaku jacket... >__<

hikarilight
03-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Oh yeah... I know about that. My friend, the president of my school's anime club, told me about it. He told me that the costumes there are for RENT and not for sale... TT_TT... crap... I was going to ask if I could commission a Seigaku jacket... >__<

You rent costumes 0_0

Michi
03-23-2005, 10:03 PM
it's reeeeaaally tiny, but its got alot of nice stuff! there were buttons, keychains, note pads, bags and its all hand made buy the owner guy!

o_O Is that legal?

Katsuyuki_Shiro
03-23-2005, 10:03 PM
You rent costumes 0_0

I don't.. <_<.. My friend just told me about it... He said he tried on a Hakkai (Saiyuki) costume.. ^^;;...

Michi
03-23-2005, 10:10 PM
I don't.. <_<.. My friend just told me about it... He said he tried on a Hakkai (Saiyuki) costume.. ^^;;...

I don't think hikarilight meant you personally. ^^; I believe she was surprised that you (as in people in general~) can rent costumes from this store, because that's actually a bit of an odd concept. :X

When I'm back in the area this May I think I'm gonna try and check this out. o_O It sounds really weird.

Katsuyuki_Shiro
03-23-2005, 10:16 PM
I don't think hikarilight meant you personally. ^^; I believe she was surprised that you (as in people in general~) can rent costumes from this store, because that's actually a bit of an odd concept. :X

When I'm back in the area this May I think I'm gonna try and check this out. o_O It sounds really weird.

It does sound weird... My friend wanted our anime club's execs to go check the store out with him before but I couldn't go... He got my birthday present from there too... <_<... They look like one of those bootlegged stuff that you see at Pacific Mall or at Chinatown... >__>

Eleryth
03-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Why would renting costumes be a strange idea? Costume shops have been renting costumes for years and years and years! So it's anime this time. I don't really see a difference, aside from possibly having to deal with a copyright.

hikarilight
03-23-2005, 10:43 PM

*nods* That's what I meant...

TheWestWind
03-23-2005, 10:44 PM
The store owner said that he got permission from the creators. I live so close to there though, yay! I'm a 10 minute walk away! The art he does is wonderful! He also has art tables so you can draw and stuff. It's more of a drawing/manga store than anything.

The store owner also said that he just moved here about 6 months ago. He's also going to Anime North and he got the confirm yesterday... So everybody support his store! We need more stores in Richmond Hill!

And about the costumes, yeah, they are rentals. I asked about a Sasuke costume. He said $80 a day with all accessories(Fuuma Shuriken, arm band, pouch, etc). Not really cheap, but it looked pretty well done... I wouldn't really wanna rent, but all his stuff seems cool. I didn't ask about renting individual accesories though...

Chibik3r0
03-23-2005, 10:58 PM
I'm only about a 15 minute drive from that area when I'm home from school... Maybe I'll swing by and check it out once I'm finally home for the summer. Doubt I'd ever rent anything but it'd be cool to at least look at.

Not that I'm doubting the store owner's word, but what is the likelihood of having permission from all the anime's creators to make costumes for rental? Is it that common in Japan (I'm looking in Eleryth's direction to possible have an answer for this XD) or is it easy to get by unnoticed?

Michi
03-23-2005, 11:05 PM
Why would renting costumes be a strange idea? Costume shops have been renting costumes for years and years and years! So it's anime this time. I don't really see a difference, aside from possibly having to deal with a copyright.

'Cause it's for cons... I dunno, I don't think those rental costume shops usually rent out costumes people wear to hobby cons... Just for like, Halloween and parties. @_@; At least, that's why it's weird to me. :X

Amy the Yu
03-23-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm with Chibik3r0 on this one. There's no freaking way that he'd have permission for all the copyright infringements. Getting the license to produce stuff from animes costs a shietload and I've heard 3 of the most popular animes mentioned already. I say quack...especially when the stuff looks like Pacific Mall bootlegs. >_>

And it might just be me and my super cheapness, but $80, you can commission a damn good fancy Sasuke costume for keeps, forget renting it.

Eleryth
03-23-2005, 11:30 PM
'Cause it's for cons... I dunno, I don't think those rental costume shops usually rent out costumes people wear to hobby cons... Just for like, Halloween and parties. @_@; At least, that's why it's weird to me. :X

Usually that's what people rent them for, but I see nothing wrong with renting a renn getup for a sci-fi con, or a star trek uniform or something. They do rent all year round. I wouldn't advise anyone to try to compete in it, but wearing it should be fine. A con is like a glorified Halloween, anyway, in my mind.

I think it's just sometimes harder for many of us cosplayers to contemplate a rental facility since we enjoy making our own clothing, and can do it a lot cheaper than a rental place, so we don't see the value. I think it'd be rather neat, actually, but it would get expensive. I imagine the costs are also higher because the owner would have to take the garments to be cleaned after every wearing.

I would agree with him not having the permission of all the creators in Japan; he's probably counting on the fact that it's a small company and in a foreign country.

As for renting costumes, I can't say. I'm sure there's got to be places that do it in Japan (probably in Tokyo); however, most people would just buy it, even if it were expensive. It's a very consumeristic (is that even a word?) society. The price won't deter them.

I can understand a rental place popping up in Canada or North America in general, as there aren't stores where we can just go and buy a costume. And shipping all of those costumes from Japan to open a store like that (or try finding enough people to produce them in North America) would be rather difficult and expensive.

archangeli
03-24-2005, 01:02 AM
Copyright, licensing and cost issues aside, just remember that you CANNOT compete in the Masquerade, Skit Competition or Hall Cosplay in a rented costume.

Wear it and enjoy it, but don't try to pass it off as your own ;)

Mari Moni
03-24-2005, 01:13 AM
I agree with Eleryth.
I don't see anything wrong with costume rentals
i mean, if u go to japan, there are tons of cosplay shops that does anime costume rentals, and yes the prices are usually pretty high.
most cosplayers in japan either buy/rent their costumes anyway, and rarely make it themselves.
but again, it's just that it's the first store (or at least one of the few stores) like this to open up in Canada, so it's kinda werid to some people.
and it's different in here, cuz the customer market/target here is different than in Japan, since almost everyone makes their own costumes. and also in this way they can compete in masquerades and workmanship, whereas in Japan the case is very different.
i'd like to drop by to see it myself sometime soon, sounds pretty interesting.

Skulduggery
03-24-2005, 02:33 AM
I can understand a rental place popping up in Canada or North America in general, as there aren't stores where we can just go and buy a costume. And shipping all of those costumes from Japan to open a store like that (or try finding enough people to produce them in North America) would be rather difficult and expensive.

Though, Kikiwai did actually have three costumes from Naruto for sale in their downtown location a few weeks ago. Problem was, even if I wanted to cosplay from Naruto, all three were too big for lil ol' me. =P

Lafiel
03-24-2005, 11:30 AM
I think with Cospa Stuff, they have permission rights from the creators (though don't quote me on that I have to go check). So maybe if he BOUGHT cospa stuff he thinks he has permission?

Personally I don't care either which way if he has permissions or not, though if he doesn't it would be better to just admit that ;) For instance I don't care really care if people want to buy bootleg dvds as long as they aren't ignorant and think its legit.
Still ... No one I have ever met who has made their costume or someone elses (been comissioned) from an anime/videogame/etc contacted the creator and asked permission. So no point in getting on his case for that.

Whoa $80?
Get it rented for 2 days and the outfits paid for.
Wouldn't surprise me if you have to put security deposit on your CC though incase you run off with the outfit.

I'm going to check it out ASAP though, I love seeing new anime stores. :)

Amy the Yu
03-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Not cosplay related, but someone mentioned that the store had anime merchandise. Do they have any official merchandise (which means that it's NOT from China or Taiwan) for reasonable prices?

I'm very tempted to check it out, but if it's similar bootleg stuff you find at P Mall, then there's no point in me hiking out to RH from Scarborough just for this (and from the sounds of "the owner makes it himself", it doesn't sound terribly legit).

TheWestWind
03-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Most of the items are art related. It's actually more of a drawing store. The items are keychains, bags, stationary, etc. The owner doesn't use official images to make the items. He draws his own versions of the characters (which in my opinion, sometimes look better than the originals) and he uses them for different items.

But just check it out. If you like to draw and are interested in manga art, check out this place.

Katsuyuki_Shiro
03-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Most of the items are art related. It's actually more of a drawing store. The items are keychains, bags, stationary, etc. The owner doesn't use official images to make the items. He draws his own versions of the characters (which in my opinion, sometimes look better than the originals) and he uses them for different items.

But just check it out. If you like to draw and are interested in manga art, check out this place.

So what the owner sells is like fan art on different sorts of products? I don't think that there's anything wrong with that... I mean, if you take a run down Artist Alley, people also sell things like buttons and keychains with fan art on them... I have one too, my friend gave me a Prince of Tennis pin from that store for my birthday and it's fanart ^^;;

kels
03-25-2005, 01:19 PM
mm.. its actually my friends store.. @_@;;.. but yeah.. im not too sure about the copyrite stuff, but he draws alot of the stuff himself.. also theyre adding in a computer in one of the corners? or something.. i didnt really understand when he was trying to explain it to me.. (mind you , not in english).. but hes adding it so ppl can come in and do graphics? but either way.. i think its cool tho.. cuz its the first actual store ive seen who sold stuff that was used to make mangas.. *those background thingies*.. other than.. i find his drawings are cute~ *got a shinji ibu fudoumine pin*

Amy the Yu
03-25-2005, 02:31 PM

Fan art is good. ^^ (<-- can't draw if her life depends on it, so enjoys leeching off capable artists)

I was gonna say that he still better watch out for all the copyright laws being broken and then I remembered where we live and the purpose of the comment just flew out the window and crash landed in a pile of geese poop.

Too bad my lack of artistic talent means that much of the store's main pull is wasted...

Scoti
03-28-2005, 08:18 AM
I haven’t gone to this store yet but I could see him getting away with using the characters if he changes the colours and doesn’t add official logos to items like some companies do.

The costume renting sounds overpriced to me too.I defiantly wouldn’t trust a rented anime costume from a store especially with the problems of people’s personal hygiene at conventions.