PDA

View Full Version : Naruto Fishnet shirt help

Shey Shey
03-23-2005, 11:01 PM
hello there
I am pretty new, and have loved reading though all the naruto shoe and headband topics.
but I have a question.
i am going to be making a kiba costume for my boyfriend, in epp 122 (i think) he takes off his jacket and has one of those fishnet shirts, Shikamaru style (I am new here, and haven't figured out how to post an image).

The shirts look like a very loose fishnet (industrial style is the name i've found though my web searching) with (i think) a tan shirt under it. As soon as I figure out how to post image (and am at my home computer) i can post some screen captures.

I know many people have already made this style shirt before; i was wondering if anybody had some words of wisdom for me.

thanks in advance for any help and posts ^_^

Edit- on page 2 we start talking about Kiba's Armor which I revealed in epp 122 (I think)

Space Invader
03-23-2005, 11:05 PM
You can find fishnet - or fishnet-like netting - at Joanns in with the dance/ swim fabrics. You should be able to use a basic long-sleeved shirt pattern for it and take it in as neccessary, to compensate for the stretch. Nothing worse than a loose fishnet shirt.

Of course, you can always buy one. Hot Topic and similar goth / fetish (and sometimes even just good ol' lingere) stores carry them, or you can try looking on eBay - there's TONS of fishnet stuff listed there, I'm sure you could find one for for pretty cheap.

Jinyo
03-24-2005, 01:12 PM
You can find a variety of differing types of net-like fabrics relatively cheap at the Los Angeles Fashion District (as well as all kinds of other fabrics).

I'm not sure what challenges it would present when sewing it, though. You'd probably need a tight zig-zag stitch on your sewing machine, or a serger.

Shey Shey
03-24-2005, 03:07 PM
You can find a variety of differing types of net-like fabrics relatively cheap at the Los Angeles Fashion District (as well as all kinds of other fabrics).

I'm not sure what challenges it would present when sewing it, though. You'd probably need a tight zig-zag stitch on your sewing machine, or a serger.

oh i long for a sergre.....

yha, i was trying to figure the sewing part out in my head last night.
the normal premade fishnet shirts have just a bit too fine of a net.... i remmember at hot topic a few months ago they had PERFECT indtusctal net shirts that would have rocked.. but at the time there were no cosplay plans.

I am also wondering about the undershirt. it very distinticly a darker color.. but still almost looks translucent.. if anybody can tell me which tags to use to post images, i can upload some screen captures i have...

RinnyTinTinny
03-24-2005, 03:16 PM
you can always buy a fishnet shirt at hottopic.com

lilithbunny
03-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Ah yes, all good ninjas wear fishnet, bandages, or both. I've had to deal with the fishnet thing thrice now; twice for Gaara and once for Temari.

Tips for sewing fishnet:
1. Gather a cm or so of the edges together, pull taught and stitch with a zig-zag stitch to make seams that stay.
2. For hems (like around the bottom of sleeves, etc), pull about a cm of the edge of the fishnet taught and using big zig-zag stitches, sew to 3/4" elastic, also pulled tight. Fold elastic in half, over raw fishnet edge, and straight-stitch elastic halves together, pulling tight while sewing.

kaligoddess
03-24-2005, 03:34 PM
I don't know how old you are, but if you're old enough to buy from an adult clothing site, you can find all sorts of crazy fishnet styles from large holed to small. I recommend wickedtemptations. You can always attack a bodystocking to make a shirt out of it.

DivineSage
03-24-2005, 05:29 PM
I think fishnet would be hard to work with... then again, I have very minimal sewing skills, so my opinion isn't very helpful there, but I think your best bet would be buying a fishnet shirt from Hot Topic. They have all different kinds. I bought one of their shirts for my Kiba costume, and it was perfect. You can just cut the sleeves and stitch the ends to make them fray-resistant.

Chibik3r0
03-24-2005, 06:26 PM
Personally, I really don't think there is an "undershirt" under his mesh... I think it's just the animators way of shading the skin under the meshing.

I attached one file though ^_^ I've been looking into attempting to make his under-meshing too. I really think it's just a mesh shirt with the trim (maybe use bias-tape?). The armor piece looks like it just is strapped on over top and around the side.

Devi Dark Wolf
03-24-2005, 06:32 PM
I am far too lazy to sew with fishnet fabric, but there is a lot of it available both at name brand fabric stores like Joanne's and tons at downtown wholesale fabric districts. remember that if you want to sew with it to make sure your seams are tight and well done, so that it won't come out, as it will be hard to mend by hand. Also, fnetting-type fabrics come in a multitude of colours and sizes... and that's what you need to eb aware of. Someof the netting can be thick and wide, and others thin and close together, and that is type you probably want to get.

Also, if you look at the Naruto fishnet shirts, they all seem to be hemmed with a sort of edge, so check out your fabric store for a black bias tape you can sue to hem the edges with. It'll make it look cleaner and your life easier.

Itachi's fishnet seems to have a thin grey layer underneath it, but I think the younger characters don't.

I would really just eBay a fishnet shirt or go to a few Hot Topics or adult shops like the Hustler for the fishnet shirts. They make tons for guys, but keep in mind that the ones for males are meant to be tight, so hopefully you don't have a larger bust size like me. ;_; But the fishnet clothing at places like Hot Topic are a bit on the expensive side, so I'd really reccommend buying online first!

Devi

Riko
03-24-2005, 08:01 PM
These are the best big mesh fishnet shirts I've found online; unfortunetly they are $30... Hottopic doesn't have any stocked right now, and I can't find any big fishnet fabric. :(
http://www.abcunderwear.com/cymeknsh.html
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000B2LNW/104-7290182-4186362?v=glance
http://passional.net/store/product_info.php?cPath=22_40&products_id=130&osCsid=5a32f549f7dc02003675f6b1b6302b5f

Shey Shey
03-25-2005, 12:15 AM
These are the best big mesh fishnet shirts I've found online; unfortunetly they are $30... Hottopic doesn't have any stocked right now, and I can't find any big fishnet fabric. :(
http://www.abcunderwear.com/cymeknsh.html
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000B2LNW/104-7290182-4186362?v=glance
http://passional.net/store/product_info.php?cPath=22_40&products_id=130&osCsid=5a32f549f7dc02003675f6b1b6302b5f
meow thanks!!!!!!!
that first link is perfect!!! i've book marked it and my boy is going to buy!
woot, double woot, and even a tripple woot!!!!!
that is going to save us both so much time and stress (now to worrie about the vest/armor thingy -which i already have many ideas for)

oh wow, thanks again!!!

Shey Shey
03-25-2005, 12:17 AM
Personally, I really don't think there is an "undershirt" under his mesh... I think it's just the animators way of shading the skin under the meshing.

I attached one file though ^_^ I've been looking into attempting to make his under-meshing too. I really think it's just a mesh shirt with the trim (maybe use bias-tape?). The armor piece looks like it just is strapped on over top and around the side.
yha, now that we are going to buy that other shirt.. i agree.

but i have to say, your kiba cosplay ROCKS!!!!!
my boy and I just went though your pictures and your costume is super nifty!!!! you pull off a GREAT Kiba!

Aereus
03-25-2005, 03:33 AM
Yeah, looking at that picture I say that it's just the one shirt as well. That is just how they simplified the shading for animation purposes. Or if you really care you could sew the fishnet over the top of a grey shirt and then add the black bias tape to the edges as seen in the picture.

Chibik3r0
03-25-2005, 10:19 AM
yha, now that we are going to buy that other shirt.. i agree.

but i have to say, your kiba cosplay ROCKS!!!!!
my boy and I just went though your pictures and your costume is super nifty!!!! you pull off a GREAT Kiba!

^_^ Thanks! It's been a long process in the works since the first time I ever wore it. I just want to get the meshing done, so thanks for starting this thread :P I'll have to possibly use those links if I can't find anything like that in stores.

Good luck with the costume!

Shey Shey
03-25-2005, 02:57 PM
Yeah, looking at that picture I say that it's just the one shirt as well. That is just how they simplified the shading for animation purposes. Or if you really care you could sew the fishnet over the top of a grey shirt and then add the black bias tape to the edges as seen in the picture.
for the sake of ease and the fact that i'm gonna spend a whole bunch of time on the armer thingy, my boy will be bear chested under a fishnet shirt (wow, i've never been able to get him to dress like this normaly...hehehe... cosplay)

Riko
03-26-2005, 09:33 PM
Anyone know any physical stores which sell fishnet shirts ($20 ish or under) or fabric? I still haven't found any currently.

lilithbunny
03-27-2005, 07:35 AM
People have already said Hottopic has fishnet shirts, sometimes Victoria Secret does, too, and JoAnn Fabrics right now has cargo-sized fishnet fabric.

Shey Shey
03-27-2005, 02:39 PM
People have already said Hottopic has fishnet shirts, sometimes Victoria Secret does, too, and JoAnn Fabrics right now has cargo-sized fishnet fabric.
i saw that yesterday when we went to store to buy mateiral for sleepy hat and shoes...
but meow, if he is willing to buy that shirt, that means i can spend more time on costume bit's for me ^_^

Koronue
03-29-2005, 01:06 PM
You said you already had some ideas for the armor he wears over it...could you possibly share? As this thread has already been extemely useful and such ( for my own Kiba cosplay ) I don't need top really worry too much about the fishnet. It's the armor type...thing he wears over it that's bugging me. I've never had a chance to get a really good close up look at it, so I can't make any really decisions over how I should go around making it. Obviously before I start I'll get more referance pictures, but as this is just a good thread to sort of leech off of, any tips on that would be helpful too. ^^

Devi Dark Wolf
03-29-2005, 01:50 PM
You said you already had some ideas for the armor he wears over it...could you possibly share? As this thread has already been extemely useful and such ( for my own Kiba cosplay ) I don't need top really worry too much about the fishnet. It's the armor type...thing he wears over it that's bugging me. I've never had a chance to get a really good close up look at it, so I can't make any really decisions over how I should go around making it. Obviously before I start I'll get more referance pictures, but as this is just a good thread to sort of leech off of, any tips on that would be helpful too. ^^

Well, I'm attemping a Kiba cosplay for next year's AX and possibly Naruto Con, but the hands-down cheapest but best way to go about making armour is to buy something called craft foam. I've found craft foam at JoAnne's and supposedly at other craft stores and even drugstores like Sav-On might have it.

Get as many reference pictures of the armour as you can from as many different angles as you can. if you're fortunate enough to have some drawing ability, try and break down the armour into "sheets," the layers that the metal is made. Then draw it out onto the craft foam with a pen and cut it out. I've heard that if you hold the craft foam over a low heat like on your stove in the position you want, the foam will harden and keep the shape you bent it in. Once that's done, attach the armour pieces together with super glue, hot glue gun, etc.

You're probably going to want to colour the foam, so get some Elmer's glue, dilute it with water, and paint at least two coats over the entire piece. Once that's done, you've in essence "sealed" the foam, and now you can paint it.

I have seen some armour made in this way, and it really looks nice for what it is! It's not going to be all that durable, of course, but if you're willing to sacrifice functionality, you can make awesome-looking false armour at a really nice price.

Hope this helps.

Devi

Shey Shey
03-29-2005, 03:46 PM
Actually Dark Devi has it right.
My boyfriend and I went to JoAnn’s and bought 8 sheets of 6mm craft foam. We got as many pictures as we could from the epp’s, epp 124 has the OKAY back view of his armor. We decided that even though in different views there are different numbers of panel’s, we were going to stick with 4 on back and 4 on front. After measuring his body we calculated out how tall each sheet should be, making the back panel’s a little bit bigger then the chest so that it looks right.

My boyfriend is a graphic designer so the next step was something that was all him. I asked him if he could make stencils for the peaces in photo shop so they would all be the corrected shape. He did, including marks for where the cord is going to be holding them together (
We have decided to take a little creative liberty and not make it 100% accurate to the anime… because for some reason half way down the armor bit’s the cord moves over ike 1/2 an inch or something…. It was his final decision, because it is his armor.. I would have keep it 100$ accurate.. but ‘eh.. it is his armor n the end)

He printed the stencils out, and I cut them out and taped them to his body to make sure they all looked good. So far so good.

That is as far as we have gotten. We are planning to buy a basic grey tight undershirt. As soon as we buy it, I am going to put it on him, and trace out the basic “tub” top shape that is underneath the armor. This is where we are running into some creative problems. There are not good reference pictures, every different screen capture we got as a slightly different shape. I think it starts out taller in the front and then on the sides slopes down like a basic bra/corset shape (you know.. those cheap as hell strapless bra thingies that they always sell at department stores). He thinks it curves down on the sides, but then Slopes up again on the back to be about the same high as on the front. (if anybody has any ideas one way or the other, please post!)

Okay that is a lot of typing.. I know I only described about 1/2 of what I am going to do, but this is as far as I have gotten. I hope this helps.

Shey Shey
03-29-2005, 03:50 PM
Well, I'm attemping a Kiba cosplay for next year's AX and possibly Naruto Con, but the hands-down cheapest but best way to go about making armour is to buy something called craft foam. I've found craft foam at JoAnne's and supposedly at other craft stores and even drugstores like Sav-On might have it.

Get as many reference pictures of the armour as you can from as many different angles as you can. if you're fortunate enough to have some drawing ability, try and break down the armour into "sheets," the layers that the metal is made. Then draw it out onto the craft foam with a pen and cut it out. I've heard that if you hold the craft foam over a low heat like on your stove in the position you want, the foam will harden and keep the shape you bent it in. Once that's done, attach the armour pieces together with super glue, hot glue gun, etc.

You're probably going to want to colour the foam, so get some Elmer's glue, dilute it with water, and paint at least two coats over the entire piece. Once that's done, you've in essence "sealed" the foam, and now you can paint it.

I have seen some armour made in this way, and it really looks nice for what it is! It's not going to be all that durable, of course, but if you're willing to sacrifice functionality, you can make awesome-looking false armour at a really nice price.

Hope this helps.

Devi
oh wow. you have posted some information that I did not know. Thanks! I have painted craft foam before w/o sealing it first.. but now that you mentioned doing that.. i really want to try it.

Also, in all of my craft foam use, i never tried to "shape" it with heat. I don't think it will be necessary for the kiba armor.. because they pretty much are flat, but again... a Cool new idea!!!

Thanks!

Buster
04-20-2005, 04:52 PM

I think Chibik3r0 is right, it's just mesh not a solid grey shirt. But as for making one.... MY GOD, YOU HAVE OPENED UP A CAN OF WORMS! THE MESH SHALL DESTROY YOUR LIFE!!!! I know, I made the black tube top with mesh for underneath my Sakura costume and I had to hand-sew each individual joint in the mesh together. It took almost eight solid hours of intense concentration, so my advice would DEFINITELY be hottopic.com (I'm not sure if it has two t's or one?)

ArsenalFierce13
04-21-2005, 09:35 AM
I found a not-too-expensive industrial fishnet shirt on ebay not too long ago, so you might want to check there (I'm sure someone already suggested that, but I'm just saying that I did in fact find an industrial fishnet and not fine-mesh). As far as the shirt under it (whether it's really there or just shading in the anime, you still might want one to even out skintone), you could just layer the two and not even have to attach them, just wear one under the other. That's what I plan on doing whenever I get around to my Anko cosplay.