PDA

View Full Version : This is *VERY* urgent.Need Sword help fast!

TheLoneWolf
01-07-2003, 05:56 PM
http://www.oriental-arms.co.il/OA/items/000769.html

Have 2 days,need to make sword&scabbard above.HELP!

Rethul
01-07-2003, 06:52 PM
Make it out of cardboard to make it fast but it won't be sturdy I can gaurantee that.

TheLoneWolf
01-07-2003, 06:58 PM
Yes,um,know anything I could use to reinforce the cardboard?

Limeyaku
01-07-2003, 06:59 PM
You know that semi-ridgy plasticy cardboard stuff like "for sale" signs for houses? That's sturdy and should work nicely. You can get large sheets of it at WalMart for around $3.98 cdn I think...Then again, it is ridgy. But you could spray paint it a couple coats of silver to even it out.

As for the handle, I'm not too sure.

<--- not good with weaponry

I'f you need it that fast, I'd suggest Crayola model magic, which dries rather fast, and is very smooth for painting on. It's also extremely lightweight.

and remember, in situations like this, hot glue is your best friend. ^-^

Luv
Limeyaku

TheLoneWolf
01-07-2003, 07:01 PM
ara?.......would spray-on glue work somewhat just as effectively?

Limeyaku
01-07-2003, 07:14 PM
Possibly...I've never used it, myself. ^^;; Hot glue works good though, if you were going to attach more than one piece of cardboard together. It would also be very handy to attach the handle. I think your best bet would to extend the sword a little bit and slip it in between what you're making the handle out of, and actually wrap it with silver ribbon/embroidery floss.

TheLoneWolf
01-07-2003, 07:26 PM
hmmmmm......very helpful indeed.

Alisa
01-07-2003, 08:33 PM
Foam poster board cut with an exacto knife is quick, and it won't flop. Unless you hit against something.

Himemiya
01-07-2003, 09:39 PM
And if all else fails, hit walmart and costume stores and buy a plastic one, and spray paint it with a metallic silver. ^_^

Mizuho
01-07-2003, 10:54 PM
There is something much better and stronger than hot glue -- "Industrial Strength Craft Adhesive"! You can find a tube for about $3.00 at your local craft or fabric store. It takes about 3 hours to dry, and is strongest after 24 hours of drying. That stuff really HOLDS.

When I'm in a bind, I usually take a long stroll through a "Home Depot" or a craft store. Sometimes, there are things already shaped like the object you're looking for, and sometimes, you just have to modify it. That's always great when you come across something very similar to what you are looking for!

I imagine that you'll be dividing your sword up into several parts-- the blade, the L-shaped handle, and that cross-shaped piece that covers the handle. Look for things that would be good for those different pieces-- but consider the physics of it. If your blade is too heavy for the hilt or handle, even Industrial Strength Craft Adhesive won't secure it for very long; but that's obvious, and you probably already knew that!

At any rate, this is a fierce-looking sword, by the way! What costume is it for?

TheLoneWolf
01-07-2003, 11:47 PM
Industrial Strength Craft Adhesive,eh?
I'll look for it in Wal-Mart tomorrow!
As for the sword,I like designing costumes,and this is for one of my ideas!
Idea popped in head,and idea needed a Shamshir.The one in the link above is a pretty plain one,and as with all swords,there are *especially* beautiful versions of it.

TheLoneWolf
01-08-2003, 06:18 PM
Eheheheheh.....I seem to have gone a little overboard and made a beautiful.....but *HEAVY* blade.I've stuck a peice of metal about 4 inches out of the blade on the handle end,but that's about it.....I've made the triangle-shaped handlepiece (NOT the handle) pretty lightweight,but nonetheless,the question remains,what countermeasures should I take to prevent the blade from snapping off the handle?

Karisu-sama
01-09-2003, 12:54 AM
If your sword is not too curvy, reinforce a carboard blade with a wooden yardstick that sticks into the handle as well. Light, and strong.

Adella
01-09-2003, 08:07 AM
Contact cement is pretty indestructable too.