PDA

View Full Version : Convincing Parents...

Lady Ava
01-07-2003, 07:33 PM
I'm all ready for this con! I have a room, a ride and my cosplay outfits...

There is only one problem.....

MY PARENTS WON'T LET ME GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARG! I wanna go so much! This would be a great way to spend my four day weekend off from school! Leave Friday morning, come back on Sunday....and do my homework on Monday! A perfect plan! But, I must find a way to convince them....

Any Ideas????

psythe
01-07-2003, 08:30 PM
What is their main argument against you going right now?

Lady Ava
01-07-2003, 09:12 PM
That's Katsu is:
A) too far
B) no adults
C) I'd be staying over
D) I would be with Oshi -_-;

Oshi
01-07-2003, 09:20 PM
they don't like/trust me very much -_-;;

...and there is no reason for them not to, mind you e.e

psythe
01-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Suuuuure Oshi. Suuuuure. ;)

Go talk it over with them. I did that once awhile ago when me and a an old girlfriend wanted to drive a state away to see a show. It worked oddly enough O_o;;

although im not sure of the current relationship between you and teh parentz. just a suggestion ^^v

Sami
01-07-2003, 09:45 PM
That really really stinks. -_-

My only advice to you would to be mature about it, no matter what. Keep your temper, don't throw tantrums or get exceptionally loud/angry at them, etc. It sounds like they're not treating you as an adult, and maybe if you show them that you are ready for such a huuuuge responsibility ^_-, it'd put their minds at ease a bit.

Overprotective parents are very uncool, I wish you luck! ;_;

Neko Cathy
01-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Lady Ava
That's Katsu is:
A) too far
B) no adults
C) I'd be staying over

Totally understandable w/ the Oshi part, no offense. One of my group members @ Otakon mostly ditched my group to go neck w/ her bf on saturday. I luckily found her ass, Leilani and I pulled her the side right after the masquerade, talked some things out and foud that her mischevious, perverted bf (I knowhim because I personally dated the sick bastard and he tried seduce me... even when I was taken!) tried to get her in his hotel room that wasn't @ our hotel and I was like.... "FUCK NO!! YOU NOT IN HELL GOING THERE WITH HIM!!!!!!! You came here to be in our group and you're gonna hang w/ us." I didn't exactly tell her that, but Leilani and I made it sound like that to her tht we got her to shut up and stay w/ us. If anything really bad happened to her... Leilani's mom would have been severely held responsible mostly because she's a minor. It's a total liability issue.

Not to say that Oshi is a perverted psycho (i sort of highly doubt he is even though I don't know him well), but you met him on the 'net and parents would freak over sending you over there w/ no adult and w/ a bf... especially w/ someone you met over the 'net who could act completely different on you then he would of had when he was around your parents! It sucks, but parents are like that... I've dealt w/ a similar situation like you have. Shoot, if my parents found out I'm meeting a bunch of people from the Internet, they would not even let me go to Katsucon, 18 or not. My dad would cancel my hotel room instantly.

Well... there is one way you can try to get down there, but I don't know if it will be too late to convience them and get a hotel room- show them how responsible you are and find people you personally know. Even though I will be 18 by the time Katsucon starts, my parents would not allow me in anyway to go to this convention by myself until they got to know my group members and I started showing them how responsible I was by coming home on my curfew, letting them know where I was going and when I'll be home, did housework w/out being told, that sort of thing. This also depends on how old you are too. My parents didn't let me go to Otakon to run around Baltimore, one of the most highest crime rate city in Maryland, by myself w/out an adult... and I was 17.

I sort of lucked out on going to Katsucon w/ friends for 2 reasons:
1. I'm 18 and at a legal age. I've been very responsible of keeping track of my group @ Otakon and even Leiani's mom sort of told them that right when we came back.
2. My dad knows the area VERY well since he works for Fairfax Co. Fire rescue. If anybody fucks w/ me on his territory, like I said before, he/she not only has to deal w/ the Fairfax Co. Cops but also my 2nd daddys from stations 1 and 14.

Sciguy
01-07-2003, 10:52 PM
Keep your cool and try to get your parents to through the tantrum. In my experience, honorable parents will keep their word in most circumstances. If you can get them agitated, yet stay calm, you might be able to trick them into giving you permission.

That failing, just try to have an adult conversation with your parents. Be respectful and kiss up a bit. See if you can dig up some dirt on them or find someway to use their words against them. If all else fails, try a viual aid like a slideshow (j/k)

Luckily, my mom is very easily manipulated. We were going to leave for Katsu at 2PM and I'd go to school that day, but I managed to trick her into letting me off of school that day to get there sometime around 10-11 AM. Plus the fact that by her own admission, and a scientific test, I am a fair deal more intellegent than my mother. Perhaps that's why I usually win our arguments.

dizzylizzy
01-07-2003, 11:30 PM
That's Katsu is:
A) too far
B) no adults
C) I'd be staying over

as much as i love you cat..... i understand if it's all those things.
a. too far.... well, it's not in nj. : )
b. no adults..... psssht kids these days. no adults means to parents: sex, drugs, drinking, and and all out orgy. lol... just name the time and place. ::wink::: J/K!!! anyhow... i'm an adult. :) i'm verrrrrrry sound in my life, i don't drink, do drugs, have orgies, i watch my $$, in charge of 30 16-18 yr old kids at friendly's, i mean come on.... i live with brandon... if i can handle him... i can handle anyone. : )
c. and d. staying over and oshi.... back to the whole orgy thing. ::wink:: my parents didn't like me being in the same room with my bf when i was your age. it's rough. it really is. hell, i lied to them about me actually rooming with my bf. but, i'm not saying you should do that.

in alllllllll seriousness cat, i know your parents don't know me but if they need an adult.... i'm here. i'm known around here to be quite reliable. :::lizzy wonders about how she spelled reliable!::

anyhow! yeah... ummmm.... what to do? DON'T bother them about it. DON'T bother them about oshi. DO good in school. DO try to help out your parents without asking anything in return. if they yell at you, just take it all in and don't say anything to counderpoint evene though you may be in the right. it's a tough situation and i know it's been rough. just day take one day at a time. : )

i luvz ya!

krystal1314
01-07-2003, 11:54 PM
Be SURE to catch them in a REALLY REALLY good mood... That worked with my Dad, lol ^_^ That, and be more helpful around the house, don't get them angry, and get good grades!

Oshi
01-08-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Neko Cathy
Not to say that Oshi is a perverted psycho (i sort of highly doubt he is even though I don't know him well), but you met him on the 'net and parents would freak over sending you over there w/ no adult and w/ a bf... especially w/ someone you met over the 'net who could act completely different on you then he would of had when he was around your parents! It sucks, but parents are like that... I've dealt w/ a similar situation like you have. Shoot, if my parents found out I'm meeting a bunch of people from the Internet, they would not even let me go to Katsucon, 18 or not. My dad would cancel my hotel room instantly. Actually, we met at AnimeNEXT, in person o_o;
Erm, anyway... no... I'm most definately not a perverse psycho, thank you very much Neko e.e and besides, we now arranged so we're staying in separate rooms, I think... at least, it's possible that we can...

Now, I am a legal adult, and very responsible; I mean, I'm going to cons 5, 6 hours away, and come back alive. I don't drink, smoke, or do anything like that. I'm perfectly clean. And I'm completely willing to be held libel for any problems that may arise. but noo, i'm her boyfriend, I can't possibly be a decent chaperone... bah...
God, it feels like I just have this aura of distrust around me... And I find that very offensive and insulting... i swear I'm like the most well mannered, shy and trustworthy guy you'll ever meet T_T

Well, I guess I'm an unavoidable part of the problem... *sigh*
As is distance...
Why does it feel like I'm not going to Katsu this year... heh...

Lady Ava
01-08-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Sciguy
If all else fails, try a viual aid like a slideshow (j/k)

I have a reasonable presentation for my parents to read and I planned a resonable disscussion w/ them tonight....I hope that I can convince them to let me go. I have never done drugs or and drinkin in my life! The know I can handle myself (9 years of Kendo and karate MUST have taught me SOMETHING!)

As for Oshi...I can keep him in line. And now that Stephuuu is going, I have someone that they know and like ALOT! So, I see it in my future....hopefully...

Tenshi
01-08-2003, 11:31 AM
I have no more ideas to add, but I just wanted to say good luck! It took months of prodding and convincing before I was allowed to go to Katsu (granted I'm all the way across the country :P), but I was still allowed! If it happened to me it can happen to you ^_^.

psythe
01-08-2003, 12:33 PM
Good Luck Lady Ava, it would be a shame for you and Oshi to not make it to Katsucon.

Galaxia
01-08-2003, 12:35 PM
I made my rant about possibly not going to Katsucon either...why do parents always have to ruin everything?!?

Anyway, I hope it works out for you, Lady Ava :)

Oshi
01-08-2003, 12:56 PM
<random-idea>
...what if we start a petition to let her go... hm... LOL
</random-idea>

psythe
01-08-2003, 01:03 PM
*signs petition*

:bigtu:

Sami
01-08-2003, 01:22 PM
I'd sign it too! ^__^ Although her parents may not like the idea of hordes of strange people wanting her to go.. ^^;;

Good luck, Lady Ava! :D Give it your best, and let us know how it turns out. ^_^ We're all rooting for you over here! *waves pompoms*

Ranma Saotome
01-08-2003, 01:30 PM
Cait, here's an idea...

I'm 24, so I would be like what, the oldest in our group going. I have done this for various cons before and perhaps I can get your parents to let you go. How bout that?

dizzylizzy
01-08-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Ranma Saotome
Cait, here's an idea...

I'm 24, so I would be like what, the oldest in our group going. I have done this for various cons before and perhaps I can get your parents to let you go. How bout that?

wel there ya go! cat, you have TWO 24 year olds that can protect you. ::wink:: besides, i know i can kick ass... and i'm sure he can too. :eek:

diqitaldreams
01-08-2003, 03:09 PM
:D Think of it this way, my mom wouldn't even let me go to a con when I was 17. @_@ ;; ... my mom made sure that I was at home and such...but once I graduated highschool, I went to Otakon 2002. xD Woo, it was great! I guess...she's just worried that you're a minor. Being a minor does add into the situation. I mean...they'll be worried about you, no matter what age you are, but you're still like a baby to them.

I know it's irritating but just accept it. At least they let you go to local cons, my mom didn't even let me go to local cons because she said, "Why the hell do you want to go to cons? So you can dress up like a freak?" xD That was a month before Otakon...but now, she's helping me with a costume because she sees that a lot of people do it and lots of those people are responsible adults. Give it time. @_@ ;; ... parents will crack sooner or later -- at least they're not telling you to break it off with Oshi (Now that'd be bad).

Koumori
01-08-2003, 03:41 PM
Yeah.... I hate to say it, but I'm afraid if I were the parent of a teenager in the same situation, I would have much the same objections. It isn't because they don't love you or they don't want you to have a good time. It's because they care about you and they want you to be safe. Sometimes it's worth just waiting for next year, continuing to be sane and responsible, etc. Parents truly are not out to get you.

Sciguy
01-08-2003, 04:39 PM
I told my mom about your situation and she made a suggestion.

Invite your mom or dad to go with you? My mom is going with me and she'd like to have someone to talk to and visits the museums with. Tell them about the Crystal City Underground (an area with a few nightclubs) and the fact that it's a stone's throw away from DC adds a lot of Museum value.

Certain acomodations will have to be arranged (like accomodations, for instance) but it's better to have a good option that's problematic than no options.

Lady Ava
01-10-2003, 09:57 AM
Hum....Well...When my sister goes back to school, I'll ask them. My sis makes my parents a little angry....so, I have to ask when they are in a good mood...

Neko Cathy
01-12-2003, 08:38 PM
Hum....Well...When my sister goes back to school, I'll ask them. My sis makes my parents a little angry....so, I have to ask when they are in a good mood...

Not to pressure you or anything Cait, but the longer you wait, the harder it's going to persuade your parents into letting you go. Especially when the con's far away from where you live and that could lead into problems. Or if they agree to go w/ you, you're gonna have to book a room. At this point to try and book a room... good luck if they're full or not!

Lady Ava
01-12-2003, 09:24 PM
I have a room, someone *coughOshicough* is paying for my pass, I have a ride, and adults to watch out for me. I am all set. Just need to talk to them.

Sciguy
01-12-2003, 09:30 PM
Good luck! We're all behind you 100%! Be brave! We're all pulling for you! I'm out of motivational phrases!

Oshi
01-14-2003, 09:33 PM
YOU CAN DO EEEET! =B

ChibiLikun
01-21-2003, 11:37 AM
Yes Please...Oshi..drive me...muah....and my bf is probably coming with me too...so cheeper Hotel for ALL of US!

-zach

Oshi
01-21-2003, 12:22 PM
I don't have the room, man, sorry T_T;;
I've got me driving, then Lady Ava and krystal1314, and possibly TheRyuujinMike or my brother.