PDA

View Full Version : Rayearth Cosplay Question

Celebrimbor
03-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Ok, this recently came to mind. As some of you may know, I'm a huge Fuu fan, but I don't do crossplay. But I was wondering:

Firstly, would cosplaying Windam be considered crossplay? (Windam is Fuu's Rune God / Powered Armor).

http://home.comcast.net/~calicj/WINDAM1.jpg

Secondly, has anyone actually tried making a Windam costume? I'd really appreciate any pictures of how you went about it if you did (I have plenty of series reference footage, though).

scandia
03-29-2005, 03:15 PM
To the first question, it would not be considered crossplay. Though mashin technically should not have a gender, they do have male voices and are referred to with the male pronouns.

I have seen a Windam costume somewhere in the internet before. I was able to recognize it.

Michi
03-29-2005, 03:25 PM
I would LOVE to see mashin cosplay. *_*!! Rock on.

Considering that it's a spirit and doesn't exactly have a gender, it's not crossplay. Like scandia said, they have male voices...

Unless you mean.. you'd kinda be Fuu inside Windam.. considering you'd be moving around which means someone must have donned you... Uh.

I say get a cute friend to do full on final armor Fuu to cosplay with you. :D

Celebrimbor
03-29-2005, 03:26 PM
I think I can do it. I'll have to buy the gauntlets for sure, and I'll probably buy the greaves too, but the plate and shoulders shouldn't be too hard to do out of leather, or I could buy a regular plate cuirass and layer on top of it. The helm is going to be the hardest part. It's obviously not something I'm going to finish any time soon, but I think I can make it happen.

I'll have to start looking for pics of that other Windam cosplay. You don't happen to remember what con or page or whatnot it was at, by chance, do you? Even how long ago it was might be handy.

I say get a cute friend to do full on final armor Fuu to cosplay with you. :D
That's the plan. And Windam is a cooler costume then Ferio... not to mention that I'd have to cut my hair to cosplay Ferio.

If I graduate this fall and land a job swiftly afterwards, there is a possibility I could have this ready for ACEN '06. If not then ACEN '07 for dead certain.

Riokena
03-29-2005, 11:19 PM
Wow! That's a great idea to cosplay a Rune God! ^^
I'm just wondering though.. Won't you be a little hot in the costume?

Celebrimbor
03-29-2005, 11:38 PM
Wow! That's a great idea to cosplay a Rune God! ^^
I'm just wondering though.. Won't you be a little hot in the costume?

Well, I have a couple ideas about that. Firstly, I've already some experience fighting in chainmail, so just walking and standing in plate (which is lighter) for several hours shouldn't be a problem. But my aim is to lighten the costume up a bit.

My initial plan (I've been thinking about it inbetween stuff tonight) is that I'll wear a black unitard with sleeves and legs as the inner layer. I know of sites that sell mens theatrical wear, so that will be no problem.

That solves the inner layer, since most '90s era tv mecha didn't have detailed internals, just a black 'layer' so to speak, and Windam is no exception.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/mecha/keida/kanzen-e/rayearth-e/windam.gif

Over the unitard, I'd wear waist high greaves, either steel for the effect or leather to save money. That largely depends on how good a job I land out of college next January.

The clawed feet will probably have to be axed in the initial design, but maybe I'll build them later. Now, I'm going to have Pauldrons (shoulder armor) on both sides rather then the Jousting shield in the gif I included, so I'll build those, probably out of leather. Those shouldn't be a problem; I've seen armor like that done before and there are references. Making it sit properly is the problem.

The Rerebraces and Vambraces (upper and lower arm) are easy. I know how to do those.

Gauntlets (gloves), on the other hand, are wicked complicated. I'll probably just buy them.

The last pieces are the breastplate and the helm.

Those, I need to think about more because more then likely I'll have to build them myself and will require the largest amounts of materials...

The toughest choice will be steel (and brass) or leather. If I go with leather, then it will be all leather and the gauntlets will suck. If I go with steel then everything but the white things draping from the Pauldrons will be steel (the white things will be done in leather in that case), and the gauntlets will be wicked awesome but expensive. Given the choice I hope I can work in steel.

The wings and tail are....

I don't think I saw the tail on the other configuations of Windam, so at the moment it's been axed. The wings I'm keeping but I've got them on the back burner so to speak.

Lastly, the belt and skirt armor on the third picture below I will probably keep. It wouldn't be difficult and I like the effect.

Detail wise, the whole thing will be a combination of the three forms that I've found thus far. I'll keep what I can keep and discard what I can't.

The sword however will be from the third picture below. (I LOVE FUU'S SWORD!)

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Flats/1443/windam.jpg
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/mecha/keida/kanzen-e/rayearth-e/windam.gif
http://home.comcast.net/~calicj/WINDAM1.jpg

Riokena
03-29-2005, 11:51 PM
Nice plan!
For metal sheets or steel, do have any friends who know carpenters or plumbers very well or even are them? You can probably get a deal on that right there. My friend's dad is a plumber and she's working on the Hikaru's manga princess form, and used metal sheets for the breast plate.
Anyway, Good luck!

Edit: Also, who doesn't like Fuu's sword? xD It's wicked awesome!

Celebrimbor
03-30-2005, 12:00 AM
My dad and brother have done extensive welding and metal work for auto restoration, and my great grandfather did a lot of welding too. I not so much so (sparks and flux and molten metal are among the things I try to avoid these days).

Obtaining metal is something I'll have to deal with when I get to that point. I'm still a month away from my tools. I figure the first thing I'll try is doing the breastplate in roofing tin which is practically disposable by my standards... :thumbsup:

Michi
03-30-2005, 12:02 AM
When I next have access to a scanner I can get you the character design of Windam from the first TV anime artbook. ^^

Celebrimbor
03-30-2005, 12:03 AM
When I next have access to a scanner I can get you the character design of Windam from the first TV anime artbook. ^^

:love: :love: :love:

That... would help.

Michi
03-30-2005, 12:09 AM
XD It has a good back shot, front shot, and different angles of the head. I just don't have a scanner where I am right now, but probably this weekend. ^^

And uhh yeah there is no tail. o_O It has a kinda bird tail thing where the feathers come in at a point, but that's it. o.o;

Eleryth
03-30-2005, 05:56 AM
That would be so awesome. Very different from all the other mecha cosplay. It would certainly stand out.

Sounds like you have the means to make it, and make it well, which is even better.

Looking forward to it.

Celebrimbor
03-30-2005, 10:04 AM

Actually, if you could scan in all of Fuu's armor and weaponry stages, that might come in handy in the future.

Michi
03-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Actually, if you could scan in all of Fuu's armor and weaponry stages, that might come in handy in the future.

That won't be a problem. ^^ They're all very close to each other anyway.

Celebrimbor
03-30-2005, 11:08 PM
That would be so awesome. Very different from all the other mecha cosplay. It would certainly stand out.

Well, I'll be honest, part of me wants to make a matching green and gold trimmed beam rifle...

Good news on the building front though. Dad and I communicated and we're pretty certain we can build a simple english wheel (a device for smoothing out metal after shaping with a hammer). If we can get that done in May then there is a possibility I could start fabrication this summer.

For those who are also considering doing anything in metal, here is the link to the page I've consulted on this...

http://www.roddingroundtable.com/tech/articles/12ewheel.html

Hilary
03-31-2005, 01:37 AM
Holy hell! A mashin cosplay!!!(is a huge MKR fan). I am excited to see this completed! And to sort of answer your question, no, the costume would not be considered crossplay. The mashin are totally masculine.