PDA

View Full Version : skanky costumes?

chibi-dj
01-07-2003, 09:55 PM
what are ur opinions on skanky costumes? my friends and i like to make skanky costumes for fun (not offensive though). Ya know, like cat/bunny girls or female versions of a male character.....

just wondering:rolleyes:

MargauxZ
01-07-2003, 10:00 PM
I'm almost done the female version of your avatar there, chibi!

I think its a great opportunity to show off your own creativity. Anything goes.

WeissMatsuei89
01-07-2003, 10:08 PM
O.o Weird...you really do that?

Troppy
01-07-2003, 10:11 PM
It IS possible to make female versions of a male character without looking skanky, you know...

peaseblossom
01-07-2003, 10:32 PM
I've seen a way cute female Spike Speagel. I didn't think it was skanky. I did see a cat-girl at AX02 that looked a little on the skanky side, but that was mainly b/c she just looked kinda trashy and wasn't actually wearing a costume, she just had a tail pinned to her too tight clothes.

Daitenshi
01-08-2003, 12:35 AM
Skanky is all attitude. My moogle costume is kinda skimpy..... but it would be skanky if I acted like an overtly sexual little ho. Which I didn't =P

ChibiRinoa
01-08-2003, 06:29 AM
i would love to make a female version of Squall, i know its been done, but i wouldnt make it skimpy...no booty shorts or anything...

chibi-dj
01-08-2003, 10:42 AM
mmmm...well, the costume i've made is out of laungerie (i probly spelt that wrong >.<) but nothing is revealed and everything is properly covered (i attached a skirt to it ^_^) you see more of me in a bikini then you do in this costume. if everything in modesty is covered, do you think i will have a problem with staff? ( i got yelled at Kastucon because my slit on my devil hunter yhoko costume came up too high)

Rosiel
01-08-2003, 11:24 AM
I for one do not like skanky costumes. I will not wear them, and I do not enjoy being subjected to them either. Cons are PG events attended by families and children as well as adults and teenagers.

Hence my probably very unpopular opinion is: your freedom ends where that of the others begins.

You might not mind people walking in their underwear in a public place, but for me and manymany (most?) others, there is only /so much/ of a stranger we want to see. That goes /especially/ for thongs and lingerie.

Ex: the X Karen at Otakon. Karen has a lot of lovely sexy dresses, /why/ go around in /underwear/? Other than to shock people? Wearing underwear on the outside is /so/ 80s anyway.

If you want to be a half-dressed dominatrix, hit fetish clubs, which are adults only, and not conventions where a lot of kids go.

And let it be said, I do not agree with the "I wear it at the pool" theory. Well were I to hit the beaches in France I could go topless. Does that make it ok to hit cons there topless? NO. There is a difference in social setting and comfort level between the beach and a convention.

As for catgirls... since when does being a catgirl have to be skanky? Catgirls can wear clothes too!

Mink
01-08-2003, 04:27 PM
I agree to a point....some costumes are just TOO revealing, but I have a feeling that the lines that we draw are different Rosiel. However, I see your point as far as children are concerned....on the other hand, children may too be equally tramatized by a scary gothic costume.... I guess people just have to use there best judgement...and thankfully most do.

As far as female verstions of male costumes go I will now HAVE TO make a female spike...I think that is the coolest thing I have ever heard of in my life. *goes planning*

Dia
01-08-2003, 05:01 PM
I think there's a fine line between sexy and skanky, personally, and too many people are going for the former but end up the latter. It's usually best not to reveal everything - rather, if you're showing a lot of cleavage, don't also do bikini bottoms or the like. I tried to keep that sort of thing in mind while designing my Femme Sephiroth outfit - I'll be showing cleavage, and, while the skirt is short, it's nothing you wouldn't see everyday, and is by no means terribly skanky.

cutekawaii
01-08-2003, 08:07 PM
I can't say I'm not guilty of doing revealing costumes, but I CAN say that it's all in HOW you wear it. When I wore bikini Moogle I didn't act like I was some sex goddess. I just acted cute, like a moogle. No leaning or bending over or any of that. True, most of the reactions I got were stares and whistles from guys, but, that happens to a lot of girls in just about any kind of costume ^^; And I know I was kid safe because I was taking pics of it in my front yard and my neigbor's kid said, "It's a costume party!! Hi!!!" Too precious.

I agree with Rosiel, for the most part. But her theory can't work in convention situations because no one person can know where -everyone's- morals begin and end. If I think so and so costume is too revealing but the person wearing it doesn't, who's to tell her to take it off? Me? Because -I- think it's too racy? That likely won't happen.

She said she didn't agree with the beach/pool theory, but I think it's a good basis to work off of because, hey, we're not in France, we're in America, and we know what's accepted and allowed and decent. Kids are at the beach. Kids see girls in bikinis, and boys in speedos (x-x). Beaches and pools have certain dress codes, and they aren't that different from convention codes. A convention isn't some fancy formal event. In France, if you can go to the beach topless, go for it. But I doubt that the French let people run around topless at cons. There -is- a difference in those regulations, but in America, what's at the beach and what's at conventions can be the same. If a CON thinks something is too scandelous, the con will deal with it. Personal/individual morals have nothing to do with it. If a parent doesn't want a kid to see skin, well hell, the kid won't be able to go outside or watch TV ever.

Plus, if a parent is letting a child go to an anime convention, you can bet the kid has seen some things, animated or not.

And hey, maybe that Karen at Ota WAS going for the shock factor. People cosplay for a lot of different reasons. She wasn't flashing her boobs, or wearing nipple paint, or wearing bondage gear. She was wearing something on the sexy side. Which is ok by me. Hey, people get underwear catalogs in the mail with much more shocking images. Her outfit hardly caught me off guard.

Radical Urd
01-08-2003, 08:25 PM
Whoa too much for little Cierra Seanie but anywho, i'm planning on wearing my Pink costume from Dragon Pink, and i've been told it is skanky.... but honestly i'm going for Pinks effect and if you don't know Dragon Pink is a hentai,so yea it'll be skankified. I'm comfortable and think that it'll all be in good fun. Plus i'll only wear it late at night when most of the kiddies go to bed. I say if you have it flaunt it, fan service is part of anime too, and so is hentai. And I'm damn proud of anime, good and bad. that and i like to feel sexy......

Radical Urd
01-08-2003, 08:28 PM
cutekawaii I SO agree with you!! RIGHT ON!!

Mei Lan Chang
01-08-2003, 08:59 PM
I think that when you go to a anime convention you need to be prepared to see all sorts of costumes, since there are all sorts of anime. Pokemon and La Blue Girl are both anime, though they may be on opposite sides of the audience spectrum. I have been a longstanding supporter of artististic skin showing. Costumes can be both very beautiful and show skin. I think its wrong to call a costume "skanky" because -holy stars-, it shows more skin than the average outfit. We are all entitled to our costuming preference and I do hope we can be tolerant of those who want to wear their daring costumes at a convention.

chibi-dj
01-08-2003, 09:29 PM
wow...i did think i'd get a responce quite to this degree, but thank you for all your comments! as far as my costume is concerned, it is on the sexy side (i have a garder on) but you don't see anything! i made sure of that! >.<;; itz cute too, i sewed bells and ribbons on and there's a giant bow on the back of the skirt ^_^ i was concerned cause it iz a bit more that the devil hunter yhoko costume i had on at Katsucon and i got yelled at for showing too much leg or something like that (the hotel staff said i was indecent....<shrugz>) i wonder if the hotel staff ever say the ppl in nothing but duck tape..... x_x;;

Mei Lan Chang
01-08-2003, 09:37 PM
Who wears nothing but duct tape?

chibi-dj
01-08-2003, 09:45 PM
i think it was at otakon (i was on staff) and there were these girls that had 3 exes, leave it to your imagination where they were placed......O.o;;;; i think they were shortly asked by staff to put on something more substantial.......>.<

MargauxZ
01-08-2003, 09:51 PM
Hahaha, my other "in progress" is a somewhat tastefully skanky Pokemon costume. Funny you mentioned it.

I think my style is steering away from accuracy, and toward "funny" Haha, I should make a new cosplay webpage.

jade_dragon
01-09-2003, 01:40 AM
as some one said before its how you act when in costume ,you could be dressed up as dragon pink and act like a normal person smile and be charming or you can act like atotal hooker , skankyness is defined by the person not the clothing

as for duct tape yeah that its kinda creppy like the women who just have it on there breasts and go bouncing about the con bra free thats alittle on the cheap side

John Booty
01-09-2003, 02:05 AM
Well, you can tone down your costumes for the kids if you want, but when I was little I know that I would have found a half-naked girl either a) funny or b) I wouldn't have cared.

I would have been much more traumatized by a scary horror/gothic costume... although that really wouldn't have scared me either ^_^

> Who wears nothing but duct tape?

I don't know, but if you find a person who has absolutely no body hair, they may have done this in the recent past. ^_^

KnuxieChan
01-09-2003, 10:48 AM
I'm not much for showing off my skin, but My dad wants me to wear a muscleshirt under neath my Tunic for Dark Schneider costume (Damn.) One thing that upsets me, when people do the costumes and are serious and just do it for the WRONG type of attention. Not the fun silly stuff.

A J
01-09-2003, 02:17 PM
Everyone's idea of skanky is different. I know a lot of people were floored by my Pirotess costume and thought I was flashing too much skin, but the funny thing is, I didn't even THINK of it until people started pointing it out.

I play ice hockey on a team of 15+ guys. I share a locker room with them and if anyone knows ice hockey, you strip down to the bare essentials to gear up. Sometimes we don't even have a locker room, so you're stripping down in the bleachers. Do that for 5+ years and you end up being pretty de-sensitized to the whole idea of flashing skin and sometimes you forget that it bugs other people.

I guess the point I'm making is that everyone's ide of "acceptable" is different. I don't really care what people see... it's not like I have anything they haven't seen before (and better of no doubt :)). I'm going to wear what I'm comfortable with and what I want to. If I worried about what people thought all the time, I wouldn't be having much fun. :)

Ok, sorry to go off but I get tired of people telling me I look like a ho in that outfit. I'm not a ho and I don't pick costumes based on what they are or how much skin they show. I pick em cause I like the characters.

yuffieleonheart
01-09-2003, 03:40 PM
hehe i wanna make a female squall aswell^^ i will probrably make it just a mini skirt nothing to skimpy ^^;

peaseblossom
01-09-2003, 04:40 PM
I think the difference in skanky and sexy is all how you carry yourself (as was mentioned before in this thread). I think AJ's pirotess costume looks very classy and sexy. What I think looks skanky is a body baring costume that looks half put together. Like it was just a half assed try and the look they were goign for isn't happening. That's just me. I am an artist, so naked/near naked isn't a big thing to me, but when the aesthetic of the nude/near nude is icky, that's when my little eyes get offended.

Sciguy
01-09-2003, 05:10 PM
I'm with PeaseBlossom, simply showing off skin doesn't make a costume skanky. A costume in and of itself cannot be skanky or sexy, beautiful or ugly. The person in the costume and how he/she acts determines above characteristics. To quote a cliche: "The (wo)man makes the clothes, the clothes don't make the (wo)man"

peaseblossom
01-09-2003, 06:34 PM
Sciguy: *claps* Good quote to use for this thread!

Dia
01-09-2003, 07:17 PM
Peaseblossom - very true. Skankiness or sexiness often depends solely on the level of workmanship present in the costume. There are some costumes that are on the line between skanky and sexy, but the fact that they are artfully and skillfully crafted tips the balance in favor of sexy and visually appealing, as opposed to something noone wants to see.

moo
01-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Pardon the intrusion, but did someone ask about who wears duct tape? There's a regular at Dragoncon who usually dons such finely tailored garments.

She's looking quite modest here actually :)
http://www.thespaceport.net/lesenvlk/dcimagepgs/b021hall-tb.html

I reckon the year before at the same con, she had on duct tape thong and pasties. I hope she doesn't run into a swarm of mosquitoes or anything. >_<

<we now rejoin the thread currently in progress>

peaseblossom
01-09-2003, 08:58 PM
In DragonCon pics I've seen lots of girls wearing nothing but electrical tape pasties or nipple paint on their breastesses. Ver double take-y.

Sciguy
01-09-2003, 09:55 PM
Thanks PeaseBlossom, that old cliche came to mind the first time I read the thread and I figured that someone else would pick it up. I guess it's not as well known and/or used as I thought.

And what would posess a girl to wear nothing but duct tape? I've had to pull it off of skin a few times, even if you have no hair it hurts like hell coming off!

peaseblossom
01-09-2003, 10:21 PM
Duct tape is not your friend(for clothing).

KnuxieChan
01-10-2003, 04:53 AM
That's gotta hurt comin' off >.<'

Cassyndra
01-10-2003, 05:46 PM
I want to be Duo Maxwell from Gundam Wing...that would be fun even though I'm a girl.

peaseblossom
01-10-2003, 05:59 PM
I've seen it done with a sports bra and ace bandages and the girls boobies were well hidden. Go for the Duo!

Sciguy
01-10-2003, 08:45 PM
You don't need to really hide them for Duo, his outer coat tends to be kind of baggy.

Hehe, I was going to do a Duo costume, but being the perfectionist that I am, I wanted to do it with my natural hair. Well, I don't think I can handle shoulder-length hair for more than a few more months, so waiting a couple of years is out of the question. It's a great costume though!

Daitenshi
01-10-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel

Hence my probably very unpopular opinion is: your freedom ends where that of the others begins.

While that statement can be true, it is extremely difficult to enforce. What authority would I have to approach a 16 year old who is trying to dress and act like a 21 year old hooker?

Skanky costumes at cons are on the rise. I've seen 15 year old girls running around in skimpy bikinis trying to pass as cat girls... allowing older men to touch them for photographs and such. Why do this? It seems that they are insecure and possibly seek validation from "older" men... in all the wrong places. A convention is not the right place for a young girl to find her self worth for her definition will be horridly skewed. Yet our society in general is lowering the age of tolerable sexuality. 17 year old pop stars have become acceptable sex symbols....

Yet what approach should one take if offended? Apathy or action? Where do your rights begin and her's end?

Have fun, there's nothing wrong with that Just understand that you are more than some skin that gets attention from unsocial smelly fanboys. =P

**Rosiel, on a whole I agree with your post... yet that particular part deserved another perspective.

Mutsumi
01-12-2003, 11:29 AM
show skin? sure why not. but there is a line between skanky and revealing ne?

chibi-dj
01-12-2003, 12:17 PM
very true! i don't mind showing skin, but i like to be more cute about it, ya know. Yeh, i end up getting attention, sometimes unwanted, but i make it perfectly clear, "look, but no touch." For me iz a way i can dress up and feel really good about myself, ya know like, "i really AM pretty." So iz kinda a confidence booster. But the attitude definetally reflects on the costume! *nodz nodz*

*btw, everyone has such wonderful comments! Thank you!*

=^o^= meow!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
01-12-2003, 03:44 PM
Personally, the only skin i like shown is my arms and my legs. I LOVE short skirts, but not to short that i can not sit down without revealing something that should NOT be. I show no middriff, but maybe it's becasue i'm not SKINNY! Not fat either, but i just don't like showing the tummy! I probbaly would if i could, however. But i don't think i want to go to a con where people have their butt all out and all this and that....

kelldar
01-12-2003, 04:23 PM
Yeah I was going to say, if you don't like skanky costumes, be careful if you go to dragoncon XD

peaseblossom
01-12-2003, 05:58 PM
Kell: AGH! I know! I've been looking at pictures from DragonCon and there are some freaky laydeez!

soshi
01-12-2003, 07:31 PM
hmmm.

I think you all are using the wrong word.. skank/skanky means "One who is disgustingly foul or filthy and often considered sexually promiscuous." (or so says dictionary.com)

so yes.. all of it has to do with personality. IE, Christina Agulera can wear something that covers all of her but can still come off as "skanky" because of how she acts, and the kinds of songs she sings. on the other hand.. uhm.. *tries to think of a female pop artist who's NOT a ho and that she knows about* ... um.. oh. CHER! Cher can wear next to nothing and still have a feel of maturity about her and not seem "skanky", because of how she acts. it's the same with cosplayers - if you act like a slut in your Erica Fontaine costume and broadcast aspects of your personal sex life everywhere, you are one skanky-ass ho. but if you decide to cosplay Ivy from Soul Calibur 2 and "wear it like a pair of jeans", so to speak, then you're not skanky.

what I think this thread should be about is overly revealing costumes, not skanky costumes. I don't have a problem with revealing costumes if they're done properly. your costume should FIT you, and not be ILLEGAL. (the law in most states requires you to have a certain amount of clothing on for it to not be considered indecent exposure) girls who wear ill-fitted bikini tops or corsets that have nipple flashes if they move a certain way really bother me. you shouldn't wear something if it's going to slip off you.

another thing that irks me is girls who wear revealing costumes simply to get attention or popularity. that, to me, is extremely offensive. not in a "women are worth more than that" feminist sort of way, in a "oh my god, isn't there something else she could do to compensate for a lack of personality?" way. it just makes you look bad when you do that ... at least to me.

so, when you make revealing costumes.. have some class. make sure it fits, and make sure you're not flashing anyone. maybe wear a pair of dance tights if you don't have perfect legs (and damn you if you do, I HAVE to wear dance tights! lol), and don't act like a ho.

wow, this is longer than I thought it'd be. x_X;

Great_Saiya_Man
01-12-2003, 10:30 PM
"Who wears nothing but duct tape?" - Mei Lan Chang

I do ;) its fun and it feels good when you take it off too.

MikigamiTokiya
01-12-2003, 10:46 PM
I agree w/ rosiel too and espically the lingerine on the outisde is so 80's XD hell yeah to that. but anyways as long as the essentials are covered and you don't act whorish it's just fine. One thing I do have a problem with though is old nasty smelly dudes touching these youngers girls because that's just not zesty and anywhere but the con that would be sexual harassment or something but people like that are out of our control so just roll with it

Nadeshiko
01-12-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel

Ex: the X Karen at Otakon. Karen has a lot of lovely sexy dresses, /why/ go around in /underwear/? Other than to shock people? Wearing underwear on the outside is /so/ 80s anyway.

As for catgirls... since when does being a catgirl have to be skanky? Catgirls can wear clothes too!

Agreed. I was always wanting to do a Karen Kasumi cosplay (fav. X character!), but since I'm very modest in the way I dress in public, she has tons of really pretty dresses in the colored manga artbooks. Hence why I ended up doing her white dress for Comic Con. I would just feel funny if I wore lingerie out in public. My friends had a few interesting reactions when I told them I was going to cosplay as Karen and they were like, "What?! You're going in lingerie?!"

YES! Amen to the catgirl thing! I once did a very innocent schoolgirl catgirl thing at Anime Expo. Didn't necessarily have to show off my boobies for that one. ^_^ (thanks Lilli for the ears!)

Sunde & Schuld
01-13-2003, 01:17 AM
Well..... Soshi said it best when she defined Skank for us, but for the most part, skanky really is all in attitude. If you act like you want to jump and hump everything at a con with two legs, in my book, you're a skank...and that goes for the girl in the full kimono!

There's nothing wrong with girls making a male character's costume Femme. I'm a huge Schuldig fan, and I was planning on my original design this year. My Schu-chii persona, which isn't so much a "femme Schu" more like... a sexy dress in Schu's coat's style... It might be a little revealing, but it will leave plenty to the imagination, and I believe that's the key when it comes to wearing sexy and being skanky.. a girl cosplaying Felicia can be SEXY, but just because she's half naked doesn't make her SKANKY. I agree with Rosiel on a lot of points, mainly because I have attended a con where a girl decided to dress as manga Chocolate Misu [which if you've seen it is nothing more than SUSPENDERS covering her chest!] I'm an old fashion fan of "leaving things to the imagination" and quite frankly, some things need to be left unseen, yanno? And a lot of little kids do go to cons because they watch toonami and WB and Fox. But just because they watch Hamatoro and Yu Yu Hakashu [erm.. spelling? gomen] doesnt necessarily mean they know what hentai is! And who is a mostly naked girl to teach them about the birds and the bees? I may be old fashioned in this sense, but while I don't mind seeing girls portraying their favorite characters [whether it be Yuna, Lulu, Spike, Felicia, or Sailormoon] There is a line to draw and public nudity in most [if not all states] is illegal. Let's keep the private parts covered, and that eliminates the need for calling someone skanky. ^_^

chibi-dj
01-13-2003, 12:48 PM
thank you soshi for defining that! my bad for mis-use of the word. I do have a "sexy" kitty costume. but i LOVE cats and i think kittygirls are adorable and cute, so when i do wear this costume, i try to play that part.

*you guys are awsome! This iz a great discussion!*

Aya Mikage
01-13-2003, 02:59 PM
the starlights are somewhat skanky, but you gotta luv'em! ::huggles lil seiya::

kitsunered
01-13-2003, 06:26 PM
But then, I guess that is to be expected.

I generally have almost no problem with anyone wearing anything anywhere. However, I'm not the one who gets to dictate what others do and don't wear. If the costume is being worn at a con, then it is up to the con to determine what is or isn't acceptable. Anybody who then goes to that con, knowing that con's dress code (so to speak) should be prepared to either follow the rules or modify their perceptions to let others wear what that con deems acceptable.

A good example is Dragon*Con, which was mentioned earlier. Dragon*Con is not a family convention. They pretty much make that clear in the con literature. They limit people only to wearing what is legally acceptable. Thus, people who attend Dragon*Con are allowed to wear things like electrical tape and get away with it. In addition, people attending Dragon*Con should realize that others are allowed to wear electrical tape and accept it. If you don't want to see it, don't come to the convention.

However, at a more family-oriented convention, if they say you can't wear a thong with your Nagah costume, then don't. It's up to the convention to make the rules and you to follow them. If anyone else has a problem with your costume beyond that, then it's their problem, not yours.

Cassyndra
01-13-2003, 06:34 PM
hai. I could never show much skin in public. I am extreamly modest ^^. I so want to cosplay Duo. My hair is only a few inches past my shoulders, I HAVE to grow it longer. Duo is, by far, my favorite Gundam charater.

chibi-dj
01-13-2003, 08:04 PM
i have that basic philosophy Kitsunered, but i was curious about what others think. Maybe this thread should have been in the serious discussion catagory, but it deals with costumes, so i guess itz ok ^_^;;