PDA

View Full Version : Question about a sword

TrayHime
07-14-2002, 03:16 AM
So, I'm going to be cosplaying Jura from Vandread for Otakon, and the problem I'm having is the rapier. The only ones I've seen are live steel, and are way too expensive anway, so I'm thinking I need to make it. Only problem is, I'm stumped on how to go about it. I have pretty much no ideas on materials/construction/anything, and Otakon is coming up quicker every day. Does anyone have any ideas, and if so, could you share them please? *makes big puppy dog eyes*

Lady_Sephiroth
07-14-2002, 11:28 AM
Wood. Carved wood, I like a nice maple or pine. My dad and I made a Clow Card wand out of wood, I carved the bird head myself, and bought the dowel and the end pieces at a woodworking shop near my parent's house. I also have a wooden prop sword. If you have a bit of time to spare and a Dremel rotary carving tool, you can get great results with wood.

Then for the metal look, Krylon makes an automotive-grade chrome spraypaint in brass, gold and silver chrome. A few coats of that but DON'T CLEARCOAT it if you want it to look realistic. A clearcoat takes the metallic sheen away.

Quies
07-14-2002, 07:56 PM
Or you could just take your handy-dandy pocket knife...not the tiny one..and carve up a dowl sitck!