PDA

View Full Version : The FW Homemade wig dye recipe

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Honey Bunny
04-10-2005, 11:34 PM
Updated on 03-19-2014 with working links. (I can't believe this thread is almost 10 years old ^_^)

Iím sorry for starting a new thread for wig dying, however I wanted to separate this wig dying technique and recipe (and problems) from the other technique so that I could easily keep track of peoples experiences and problems with it (in order to modify the process as well).

I read the previous wig dying post and went out and tried it for myself (which I mention in that thread). However, while trying to break open the sharpie (which I know some of you can do quite easily now) I thought ďIf only I didnít have to harvest sharpie ink like this.Ē

So I thought about it for a couple of days, then took a trip to my local art supply store. There I bought FW Acrylic Artists Ink. This liquid ink comes in 30 colors and another 10 or so metallic colors (but more on those in a bit). The cost of the ink per 1 oz bottle was $4.50.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz211/07/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=1475

(thereís a color chart at the bottom)

With this liquid ink I had more control of my pigment creation and since it has an ink dropper built on the lid, I can give exact measurements to give (a white) wig the exact pigment in the jar without any distortion.

8 full squeezes of ink (into a spray bottle)
1 cup 70% rubbing alcohol

(only do this much at one time in order to not delude ink color to much)

This creates enough pure pigment wig dye to evenly coat one side of a medium to long wig. Of course larger wigs will need more dye mixed.

To darken or lighten dye, ad 2 to 3 squeezes of black or white ink.

After you've applied the solution to your wig, let it sit for a few hours (I let mine sit for 8) to completely dry and set! This isn't for anyone who is in a rush. When itís completely dry (I choose to leave mine outside). 1) Brush it out to eliminate the crispy stiffness it will adopt. 2) rinse it out with COLD water and lightly wash it (this should rid it of the alcohol smell).

It will look like this
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/honeybunnyd/DSCN1923_zps1e9cf615.jpg

The pure liquid pigment is pretty awesome and very easy to keep under control! I didnít have to buy lots of Sharpies in order to harvest enough ink, as well as increasing my color spectrum significantly.

I also have TONS of ink left over in my one bottle. So now Iím going to apply some girly math and girly logic to just how much dyeing you can do with one bottle of ink. At 8 drops of ink and 1 cup per of alcohol application (at 2 to 3 applications per wig) I believe you could dye about 4 long wigs. (This is girly math please keep that in mind. When my roommate gets home I might make him use some actually Science)

Warnings: Combs, clothes, gloves etcÖ. will be stained, even wood and metal! This ink is differnt than sharpie ink so don't wait to long to wash it off.

Now in regards to the metallic, Iím still experimenting with these and so far the results have been good to non-existent. The gold is soooo cool itís got a lot of glittery sheen to it, and looks like youíve got a gold head, however the other colors arenít working so great, Iím trying a few methods of adding more pigment and or less alcohol so more on that when I have genuine facts.

A few more pics of the process
Here's my Linda XXL during
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/honeybunnyd/DSCN1913_zps48298cb1.jpg

and here's the finished result
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/honeybunnyd/DSCN1923_zps1e9cf615.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/honeybunnyd/DSCN1922_zps74a9af5a.jpg

Here's an example of darkening a blond wig (I also added extra length so I promise it's the same wig), using orange ink. It darkened the wig as well as creating highlights.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/737701/

To see how the colors look while being worn in a con environment please see the following galleries:

Anthy
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/56496/

Devil Katt (or see my icon)
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/56497/

Also thank you Clueless Case for the basic Sharpie recipe and the key ingredient ^_^

Note: I've randomly received messages with questions about the process throughout the years and have failed to respond to many of them because I retired from Cosplay in 2007. I'm very happy that this post still helps people but unfortunately I don't check this account enough to respond to specific question requests.

ANoM
04-11-2005, 02:12 AM
Groobie ^^

(SiN)
04-11-2005, 03:17 AM
does this recipe work to make a blonde wig or brown wig into a white wig?

Honey Bunny
04-11-2005, 03:31 AM
Normally I'd say no, but to be honest I don't really know. I think mixing the white with the alcohol might just make it transparent. However I think I may test this. (But I don't have a dark wig to do it on, so give me some time)

I'm pretty sure it won't work though............

Ringo
04-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Do you have any idea how the texture of the wig as compared to a sharpie dyed wig? It sounds like a nice little technique. ^_^

(SiN)
04-11-2005, 11:35 AM
Normally I'd say no, but to be honest I don't really know. I think mixing the white with the alcohol might just make it transparent. However I think I may test this. (But I don't have a dark wig to do it on, so give me some time)

I'm pretty sure it won't work though............

thank you for this. :bigtu:
its really been tough finding a white wig. there are quite a good number of characters with white hair out there. . .

AlphaNinn
04-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Sounds promising....and affordable.

And I know I have a dick blick store not too far from me...I'd be willing to bet that I wouldn't have to order the ink online.

Honey Bunny
04-11-2005, 02:32 PM
The texture of the wig is exactly as it was before it was dyed. It's even kept it's glosy sheen, which is what I think the sharpie wig I worked on (albeit not in the best way) lost. The color is a lot more even as well since the random amount of Sharpie ink I got out made some parts of the wig darker than others.

Ringo
04-11-2005, 02:52 PM
The texture of the wig is exactly as it was before it was dyed. It's even kept it's glosy sheen, which is what I think the sharpie wig I worked on (albeit not in the best way) lost. The color is a lot more even as well since the random amount of Sharpie ink I got out made some parts of the wig darker than others.

Awesome! I'm going to try this one for sure, thanks for posting your experiment. ^_^

heki-chan
04-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Hi! :)

Thanks so much for posting this :) :)

I'm concerned about whether or not the wig (post-dying) may rub off on clothing..

THANKS! ^_________^

Honey Bunny
04-11-2005, 04:24 PM
If you let it dry intially for enough time, wash it until it rinses clean, and let it dry once more it WILL not rub off on your costume. I put it through the exstinsive rub test, and was composed of skin white satin, and white cotton and nothing came off. The only test I haven't and probably can't put it through is the sweaty head experiment.

So if someone wants to color their wig and then go out and run around the block in their new wig a couple of times, please let us know what happens ^^

Clueless Case
04-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Hey, rock on for this thread. I know my thread was really vague. I am glad someone figured out a good recipe to offer the cosplay community. I have a question tho. Have you tried a grey/black dye yet? I know most black inks are either red or blue based and the alcohol causes the colors to seperate.

newmyu
04-11-2005, 09:45 PM
A comment on the sharpie thing, in case you want to/decide to revisit it... getting a pair of pliars and pulling the colored plastic piece off will grant you instant access to the ink tank. Taking an x-acto knife and slitting the plastic around the tank, then placing that into your alcohol (in a sealed bottle) and letting set for several hours will draw all the ink out of the tank, assuming you shake every 20 or so minutes. ^^

91% alcohol (injection site cleaning alcohol...) will yield quicker results as far as drawing out ink, however if the wig it is applied to has been dyed previously, it will strip off a good portion of the previous dye.

Water seems to keep sharpie dye from sticking very well (not sure why) and a sharpie dyed wig can be rinsed immediately after dying (or at least, I didn't have a problem with it)

I just learned this in the course of the last 24 hours.. ^^; In case you or anyone else reading this thread was interested. ^^

Nancyboynoire
04-11-2005, 10:37 PM
Hmn... this is very intriguigin because I've been trying for EVER ( like four hours! ) to find a pale pink wig... but I find none. It saddens me greatly... but maybe with this new technique...*strokes chin*

Wahaha. I am off to test some of it this theory out. perhaps I'll die some wig extensions blue, then sit infront of the oven for a wee-while ( don't really do the whole running thing) and I'll get back to you guys XD

HowlinMadMurphy
04-12-2005, 12:39 AM
Tattoo tastic? It actually will stain your skin more than a sharpie would? That doesn't sound too good to be on something so near your face eventually :/

Honey Bunny
04-12-2005, 12:52 AM
*lol* I was just exaggerating with "tattoo tastic," it will come off especially if you rinse fast enough, just don't make a 2 hour phone call while it's on you.

Ok so a few things I learned today,

White will not change the color of a wig.

Tomorrow I'll learn if the black will turn into some completely different color.

newmyu
04-12-2005, 12:58 AM
There is one major concern (at least, for me) about this product versus sharpie dye. Sharpies are, as most know, non-toxic. The ink you're using (the dickblick stuff) is. That alone is enough for me to avoid it, but I would also be doing most of the dying in my bathroom, which isn't a terribly well ventilated place, even WITH the fan on. The rubbing alcohol is bad enough for a person, but before you expose yourself to this stuff too much, you might email the people at dickblick and ask for a MSDS sheet to see exactly what hazardous stuff is in it.

I know some people think that this type of thing isn't serious, but there are some chemicals that, even in tiny quantities, can cause serious damage (ever use a leafing pen? If you read the package, they say that exposure, even through skin contact with the liquid leafing solution, can go so far as to cause serious liver problems and so forth, and that's just from accidental, casual contact.)

I'm not bringing this up to be a pain in the rear, because if someone can find an easier, faster, more accurate (and more colorful!) way of dying wigs, I'm all for it, but if it puts people's health at risk... I don't know if it's worth it to me personally. ^^;

Honey Bunny
04-12-2005, 03:18 AM
I completely understand your concern. Itís mine as well, when I chose that ink I checked the warning sheet provided for warnings such as A) Do not expose yourself for long periods of time etcÖ. on the art store display. After finding only the standard (donít eat or get me in your eye warnings) I decide this would be the best to experiment with.

Sharpies non-toxic ness doesnít imply ďyou can put this one your head.Ē Its levels of possible danger are the same as any other chemical compound. The non-toxic logo on any product (IMO) is something to encourage mothers to buy it without fear just in case their kids decide to ingest it. Itís that way with all coloring materials that could be placed in the hands of children (crayons, chalk, markers etcÖ..)

By mixing Sharpie with alcohol youíre changing its chemical makeup and intended purpose, thus the sharpie automatically assumes a new set of warnings none of us know of.

(Example: ďStrawberries.Ē Strawberries are yummy and children can and are allowed to eat them. Now take a Strawberry daiquiri it has Strawberries in it, but you donít want your children to have it because now itís something with harmful liquor and strawberries in it.) It just takes one small change to create something un-desireable. (Sorry for my weird examples by the way.)

On to my reasons for experimenting with out any ďnon toxicĒ concerns:

If such inks paints and other things werenít safe to get on the skin or expose to skin in expected amounts, they wouldnít be sold to the public in mass quantities because all it takes is that one stupid kid to get their factory shut down.

In regards to fumes, doing it in the bathroom isnít a personís only option, a spray bottle and a back porch with news paper is fine, with the sharpies I anticipated the mess and went out to my parking lot. If someone wants to do something like this but doesnít have a safe area to do it in, then they shouldnít do it.

After the wig is rinsed all toxic chemicals will be left behind in small amounts. However this is one of the reasons I want someone to go out and sweat while wearing a dyed wig, to see if it will have any effect and cause those traces amounts to come off. Iím fairly certain they wonít if water and shampoo wonít take it off.

Over all everything does have risks. Sharpies and acrylic ink harbor almost the same risks levels when being transformed. However most of those risks still involve ingestion and over exposure to fumes.

In the end itís up to everyone to make their own decisions. Iím just out to discuss every possible extent of doing this method.

newmyu
04-12-2005, 03:29 AM
*nods* I totally get what you're saying, and my main reason for posting was simply that there are a LOT of people out there who DON'T take into account the fact that there might be some toxic compounds in the ink, and sit there with their hands practically soaking in it for hours or whatever, thinking it's totally safe to use because one person used it successfully. ^^; A lot of people also don't know the difference between the art supply labels put on things like sharpies, prismacolors, the ink, ect, and see the little circular symbol and assume it's ALL non toxic, when it isn't. ^^;

I know that adding the alcohol to the sharpie will change its chemical makeup (actually, it more just dilutes the sharpie, because I'm *pretty sure* that Sharpie ink has alcohol in it as well, just in much smaller quantities, which would make sense as to why the alcohol would take it back off of a surface...) the change will be more focused around the alcohol's properties (which clearly state to use in a ventilated room) because of quantity used.

I'm not saying that you should take a Sharpie and sit sniffing it all day, or draw all over your little sister. ^^; But if it's considered non-toxic, it's considered safe for extended use, whereas the other is considered safe if used within specific guidelines.

In case anyone is interested, the information I got came from Dickblick.com:
"Products bearing the AP seal of the Art & Creative Materials Institute, Inc. (ACMI) are certified non-toxic. A medical expert evaluates each product and its ingredients. A product can be certified non-toxic only if it contains no materials in sufficient quantities to be toxic or injurious to humans, or to cause acute or chronic health problems. AP certification is reviewed by ACMI's Toxicological Advisory Board. These products are certified by ACMI to be labeled in accordance with the chronic hazard labeling standard, ASTM D-4236 and federal law P.L. 100-695."

"Products bearing the CL seal of the Art & Creative Materials Institute ("Caution Label") contain ingredients that are toxic or hazardous, but they can be used safely with appropriate caution. Materials that bear the CL seal should be used only by those persons who are able to read, understand, and follow suggested safety precautions for handling those materials. The Caution Label signifies that although the product contains a toxic element, it can be handled safely if the directions on the container or packaging are followed. Many such art products cannot be made non-hazardous, but are necessary for certain creative activities. When used in properly supervised and controlled conditions, they can be enjoyed with complete safety."

Basically, one product is considered safe whatever you do with it, because levels of possibly toxic components are so minute, they're not worth mentioning, and the other has high enough levels of potentially dangerous compounds that it could potentially, if misused, be dangerous.

I don't think that my worry is so much about you, Honey Bunny, because I'm sure you have the sense to take precautions or keep your exposure minimal, but I do worry about others on this site who might see this post, read a couple of lines and be like, 'Oh hey, this works, I'll run out and get some" and end up poisoning themselves in the process. -.-; We, as people, don't always use common sense, after all. ^^;

archangeli
04-12-2005, 02:00 PM
I would never suggest dyeing a wig in your bathroom - even with the window open and a fan going it is still an enclosed space. My sister and I always take our wigs outside to our backyard dye them, and even then the alcohol fumes linger for a bit.

Newmyu - thanks for pointing out the difference in the AP and CL labeling. I don't think I ever bothered to notice that they weren't the same. Normally I would look at it and say "ok, it's been approved" and buy them... hehehe :thumbsup:

newmyu
04-12-2005, 02:31 PM
I would never suggest dyeing a wig in your bathroom - even with the window open and a fan going it is still an enclosed space. My sister and I always take our wigs outside to our backyard dye them, and even then the alcohol fumes linger for a bit.
I don't have any place I can do it outside until my husband and I build our house, so the bathroom is kind of the only place I have. ^^; Really though, I found that having a fan pointing INTO the bathroom (pulling fresh air in) and the exhaust fan going, it really isn't too bad, particularly if I leave the bathroom shortly after finishing... ^^ The alcohol fumes were completely gone before I had finished rinsing the wig, too. ^^
Newmyu - thanks for pointing out the difference in the AP and CL labeling. I don't think I ever bothered to notice that they weren't the same. Normally I would look at it and say "ok, it's been approved" and buy them... hehehe :thumbsup:
No problem. It isn't that I'm trying to scare people away from one method or another, I just think people need to/should be more aware of what they're handling when they're doing this type of stuff, particularly if it could be something they might be doing somewhat frequently (which is always a possibility with wigs and cosplay...) I worked in a factory for a few months before I developed an injury, and learned while working there that there are chemicals we work with every day that can be extremely dangerous, and most of us know nothing about it. It's also where I learned about MSDS (Materials Safety Data Sheets), which disclose every chemical in a substance. They're great things, and you can see just what you're getting exposed to, what to watch for, exactly how to handle the substance, what it interacts with, EVERYTHING. ^^ And to get one, all you have to do is ask the place that sells the stuff. ^^

Honey Bunny
04-13-2005, 05:43 PM
I had the day off from school so I thought I would do a color test on some hair I had sitting around.

These are the ink colors I started off with
http://honeybunny.50megs.com/Deandra/inkcolor.jpg

White
Purple
Grey
Black

These are the colors I achieved with it.
http://honeybunny.50megs.com/Deandra/haircolor.jpg

The color variation isnít very noticeable at times because of my cameraís quality. However there was A LOT of pigment control. The normal purple was my formula of 8 drops purple 1 cup alcohol. To get the light purple seen at the end of the 2nd one was 4 drops purple 4 drops white. It was that way with each combination, adding black white or grey as needed.

Also these were done on white braid hair straight from the package, so you can see the original color usually at the top and very bottom where I left it for comparison.

What Iím especially happy with is the shades of grey I can achieve. The light dark and medium grayís where very easy to mix and duplicate over and over again.

Gii
04-13-2005, 08:03 PM
And the texture of the hair? How did it feel after everything was said and done? :3

Honey Bunny
04-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Those were done from Yaki style braid hair, and yaki sucks all around (I also didn't rinse them because the hair was sheding way to bad for me to attempt it. Next time I'll make wefts first).

Here is a picture of what a good wig will look like after being rinsed and dried

http://honeybunny.50megs.com/Deandra/hairtexture.jpg

After washing and brushing the hair is exactly the same as it came before it was dyed.

The mixture for that color was 7 drops purple 1 drop white.

Melfina
04-14-2005, 09:19 AM
This sounds like a great idea! It seems like you can really customize the colors to your liking; I think I'll try this technique when the time comes to dye my Yuki wig.

I hope I'm not deviating from the topic too much, but would you suggest purchasing purple lake along with silver or cool grey to achieve Yuki's unusual purple-ish-grey hue? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Honey Bunny
04-14-2005, 01:50 PM
I definitely suggest get purple lake and a grey to mix together to achieve Yukiís color. Whatís nice about mixing these colors is the subtleness you can achieve. Itís not just straight mixing grey and purple to get some weird shade. You could use 7 drops grey 2 purple and probably get the right shade (although I think Iíd ad a drop of black to deepen the color a bit more). All in all itís just like being an artist and mixing paints, so just mix a few drops together without adding alcohol and see what comboís you like ^^.

Bobbi
04-14-2005, 05:14 PM
I'm so glad you posted this! I'm working on a wig for a friend that is extremely long and thick (about 7 packs of extentions), but we got the wrong fiber color, so I had to end up coloring it all with sharpies. It was just way too time consuming, and it would be too expensive to color it with Katie Bair's wig dye. Now I can finish working on this for rather inexpensively! ^_^

Yueyume
04-14-2005, 06:32 PM
White will not change the color of a wig.

Aww T_T I have a brown wig, but I need a pinkish (auburn?) color (Himeno from pretear)...

Does there exist a brand of ink out there that's alcohol soluble, but is opaque, so one can use it to color a wig, even its color is darker than the target color?

Honey Bunny
04-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Yueyume, I honestly don't know of an ink that could cover a darker shade completly. My experiments with white and grey pretty much taught me that this ink won't take things up a shade. Sorry >_< I'm not much help.

DivineSage
04-15-2005, 01:26 PM
Any suggestions on how to achieve this particular pink color?
http://img175.exs.cx/img175/8002/680063ap.jpg

And this ink will not come out of wigs, and isn't dangerous at all?

Yueyume
04-15-2005, 05:41 PM
I'm a newb at all this, x3 but according to what everyone else said (in this and the other home made wig dye thread too), this is safe, just be sure to have ventilation. I think your color is just dark pink with a little orange...

Honey Bunny: Noo you are a lot fo help! I'm so thankful you did all those experiments! I guess I'll just have to cut my old blond wig and dye it. ^_^

heki-chan
04-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Honey Bunny: Do you think its possible to turn a platinum blonde wig into a Black wig with Blue highlights? *o*

Grencia Mars
04-15-2005, 08:34 PM
There is one major concern (at least, for me) about this product versus sharpie dye. Sharpies are, as most know, non-toxic. The ink you're using (the dickblick stuff) is. That alone is enough for me to avoid it, but I would also be doing most of the dying in my bathroom, which isn't a terribly well ventilated place, even WITH the fan on. The rubbing alcohol is bad enough for a person, but before you expose yourself to this stuff too much, you might email the people at dickblick and ask for a MSDS sheet to see exactly what hazardous stuff is in it.

I know some people think that this type of thing isn't serious, but there are some chemicals that, even in tiny quantities, can cause serious damage (ever use a leafing pen? If you read the package, they say that exposure, even through skin contact with the liquid leafing solution, can go so far as to cause serious liver problems and so forth, and that's just from accidental, casual contact.)

I'm not bringing this up to be a pain in the rear, because if someone can find an easier, faster, more accurate (and more colorful!) way of dying wigs, I'm all for it, but if it puts people's health at risk... I don't know if it's worth it to me personally. ^^;

I would just like to clarify that Sharpies ARE toxic. They are marked nontoxic because they are, but only when USED AS INTENDED. I can't seem to stress that enough. Paper, plastic, whatever, is fine, but when ingested or applied to skin Sharpies are just as bad as any other solvent based ink or marker. They won't kill you from one misusage but they are not good for you. I don't think wearing sharpie dyed wigs will hurt you but I just want to clarify that unless the said item is meant to be ingested or worn on the skin, nontoxic means jack.

Honey Bunny
04-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Ookami Tsuki

I'm not sure how this pink is exactly my monitor is somewhat crumby however. For that shade of pink I think that red white and pink is what you'd need to achieve it accurately.

Probably something along the lines of

5 (squeezes) red
2 (squeezes)pink
1 (squeezes)white

The best thing about this is that you can just mix ink in like a plastic cup see what color it's going to make then add the alcohol and spray away.

It's very easy to adjust to your own preference.

As for it being safe and coming off, it won't come off on your head as long as you let it dry long enough and rinse well with cold water. Also proper ventilation and ingestion are the only major dangers.

Heki-chan

I believe it's possible to make a platinum wig black with blue highlights. It's just a matter of patience. Make sure you keep the hair you wish to highlight blond while you dye the rest black, then when the black is dyed and set, spray over with the blue (because the blue will not effect the black after it sets) and that should give you the effect you desire.

black shinigami
04-16-2005, 05:19 AM
Ok, I'm also a stoopid noob who has a few questions that I would like to ask.

I am doing a Lacus Clyne wig and because I cannot find a long pink one here I decided to take my friend's suggestion to buy a blonde one and dye it(the stoopid blonde wig cost me $45 bucks not to mention it. I feel so ripped off). Ok, so the FW ink is like $10.50 a bottle here!!

I just want to ask, since I don't have a wig stand, is it ok to dye my wig on newspaper? Will it end up staining the table or floor? Also, when you let your wig to set, do you leave it outside or inside?

I'm also curious, since I only have that blonde wig, I will prolly use it again for another con but I'll need to dye it another colour, will the dye go on?

Also, where do I get rubbing alchohol from? ^__^;;

Sorry, i'm a very poor girl who feels like she's been ripped off badly.

I also have a suggestion about perspiration. Ok this might sound a lil gross, but couldn't someone just sweat run around, and then wipe their sweat on the wig? wouldn't it still be the same?

Yueyume
04-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Hahah, I feel the same way after buying a wig. I mean spending ~$40 on a wig that you're not going to use that much. ;_; Maybe a few times a year...or less if the character's hair needs special cutting/styling that makes it impossible to use for any other cosplay. Eeek I wish I had time for a job!

black shinigami
04-17-2005, 03:31 AM
Me too. Ok. I bought the rubbing alcohol today. I just need my Questions answered and I'm ready to start. Thank goodness I remember having some crappy hair extensions lying at home to test on. Iono if this is counted as cheap, ok the wig is all tangled, it's up to my back and originally the lady told me it was $85 and I said I only had $40(coz that's how much everyone said it was) and her boss said she could give it to me for $45. I mean come on!! That big of a difference I'm sure you'd feel like you've been ripped off too. They prolly import these wigs for like a few cents each.
I really feel for those who actually fork out that 85 bucks to get that wig. And what I found quite annoying was that they wouldn't leave me alone!!(I mean there was another wig store directly opposite of it and I wanted to take a look!!) Though they actually had to go to the storage place to get out multiple wigs for me to look at(was too embarrassed to try them on)

Honey Bunny
04-18-2005, 01:13 AM
Sorry for the delayed reply I went out of town to buy wigs *Sadly* HollyVine wigs in Hollywood has a great selection, but dealing with the employes there is headache inducing.

Anyhow I think you'd need something to put the wig on in order to coat it evenly. Also the ink solution would proably soak through the newspaper and get on the carpet, so maybe doing it in the bath tub with the water running to wash away excess liquid before it dries would be best for you.

Or there's always my favorite place, outside where the grass don't grow ^^

black shinigami
04-18-2005, 01:36 AM
Ic, thanks for the help. mm..I don't hace one of those wig stands..maybe I'll use a plastic box. I think I'll prolly do this outside since 1. my bathtub is dirty and 2. my blacony is pink anyway. ^__^

Um..ok one more - Does the wig have to hang off the ground to let the dye spread evenly? And should I brush it after a few sprays to make sure it's even? (Ok , that's two extra questions. I'm terribly sorry, i'm really poor).

LadyoftheThread
04-19-2005, 10:14 PM
I decided to try experimenting with this dyeing method today since I have a light blonde wig that I would like to be a more golden blonde. But I wonder if I goofed somewhere since the swatch of blonde kanekalon extensions I tried to dye didnít come out very well. ^_^;;

I bought a bottle of the FW ink in gold plus one in white since I thought the gold alone was deeper than I wanted. I mixed about a dropper of the gold ink in a tiny glass jar (Iíd guess about half ounce size) with 91% alcohol. I tried putting in a tiny bit of the white but then I saw little flecks in the dye, like specks of dried out paint, so I didnít add any more.

I dipped my swatch into the dye and then left it out to dry on a paper towel. However, when I came back later, I saw flecks of pigment in some spots and nothing in others so I put it in the dye again. After it dried the second time and was rinsed, it was a little bit darker overall but there were still specks in some spots if you looked closely. And it didnít look very golden so I wonder if I did something wrong since Honey Bunny noted that out of the metallic shades, gold worked well.

Could the ink being too old be a problem? All of the bottles of gold FW ink looked like theyíd been sitting around the store quite a while. The gold pigment had separated out but it easily mixed back together after I shook the bottle a bit so I figured it would be okay. But maybe not. :-/

DivineSage
04-19-2005, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the tip, Honey Bunny. Ha ha stupid me... I went and made a thread about it before checking to see if you replied...

NekoZero
04-20-2005, 12:04 AM
Anou~ I apologize since you keep getting questions upon questions "How do I make this color?" ^^;

I'm very bad at being able to tell or guess...

How would I achieve Lucy's (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/cosplayNZ/Lucy-%20Elfen%20Lied/color2.jpg) (Elfen Lied) hair color?

Thank you!

Honey Bunny
04-20-2005, 01:41 AM
Hello Lady of the thread thanks for your question! Those metallic shades are really hit and miss, and I honestly don't know what makes them work. When I said that it "looks like you have a gold head" I should have been more specific, it adds a lot of glittery shine when you go over board with it. As for getting the color to change with the metallic pigment you'd probably have to add yellow.

When I was doing a glossy purple experiment I did,

8 squeezes purple
4 squeezes metallic purple

And I got a nice glitter sheen effect, however alone the purple metallic won't change the color very much (I think itís all that silver color they mix into it).

Try that recipe with yellow and a little bit of white and see how much metallic glimmer holds up.

Neko Zero in regards to Lucyís hair color try um process magenta with white, or process magenta with scarlet and white (Iím basing this off of the color chart as seen in my original post. I donít know how different these colors will look in person.)

Itís really just a matter of mixing, like I said treat it like paint, then test it on extra hair and go for it.

black shinigami
04-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Mm..Lady of the thread - Maybe you mixed in too much alcohol?

LadyoftheThread
04-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Honey Bunny- Oh, okay. I guess I misinterpreted what you said. ^_^; Iíll have to wait until I can get a bottle of yellow and try again. With just the gold, I got an uneven pale caramel color that doesnít seem to have much glitter to it. I might have to wait until after I debut the costume to try again though since Iím running short on time. ^_^;

black shinigami- I considered that but I mixed my sample in a tiny jar, about the size of a nail polish bottle. I even tried adding another half dropper full of ink and dipping my swatch in again but there wasnít a drastic difference. I guess it might just have to do with the ink being a metallic color.

aeiouna
04-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Another stupid "How do I make [such-and-such]'s hair color?" question, sort of.

I'm doing Panyo Panyo Dejiko, and I was wondering which shade of green (they have four! Ack!) I should use?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/aeiouna/digi2.gif

I've seen tons of Dejiko wigs, and the greens run the gamet: dark greens, lime greens, everything. I'm probably looking for more of a darker green (since for some reason the printout is way darker than the on screen).

Ehhh... while I'm at it... how would I make a bubblegum pink like Popuri's (Harvest Moon) hair?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/aeiouna/popuri.bmp

black shinigami
04-21-2005, 10:50 PM
Ok, I know that I have bee seriously ripped off. My wig barely has any hair left. T__T Though it might be because I fitted it on a container so it stretched.

Ok for my lacus wig, I did:

8 squeezes of magenta
8 squeezes of white
1 full plastic cup of Rubbing alchohol.

When I sprayed it on, it looked alright but I think I'll have to put about 10 squeezes of white next time because after it's set, the pink is quite dark.

Ok here's my suggestion to people:

- Spray bottles are not always ideal, I think you might be better off getting a tray, pouring the mixture in there and soak the wig in. Why? Coz I keep missing the opening of the spray bottle with the rubbing alchohol.

- To get rid of the paint on your balcony or back yard floor, use Eucalyptus oil. It'll get rid of it and leave a refreshing smell. If you can't get rid of some of the harder stains, use terpentine or metho.

- make sure your plastic cup doesn't have holes at the bottom.

- Be aware that there is more hair underneath your first layer.

- Gundam model boxes are useful.

Ok, I haven't finished my wig coz I ran out of rubbing alcohol. I did a brief measurement with a tiny measuring cup and 8 squeezes of FW ink is about 16ml(it's either 6 or 16, i forgot, but one squeeze was around 2ml imo).

A full cup of rubbing alchohol is about 160mls or so.

Hope that helps.

Oh and I used newspaper under my wig. It's good but one or two sheets wont work. PUT THE WHOLE STACK UNDERNEATH!!

black shinigami
04-23-2005, 07:39 AM
Ok the wig is dried. The shade is quite dark and I'll need to go over it again in a lighter colour.

I washed the wig today. Clogged the sink. -__-;;

Well, I was wondering, when i washed the wig the water turned pink . Is this normal?

Solaria
04-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Yeah, it is, you have to rinse out the ink so it doesn't rub off on your clothes and such. Rinse it through until the water runs clear. The unrinsed wig may also look darker than it will rinsed out.

The hair fell out?! May I ask what kind of wig you started with? I don't see how dye would make the fibers fall out (unless it was seriously corrosive dye, but it's just rubbing alcohol. . .).

Honey Bunny
04-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Just make sure you're washing with cold water, if the water is two hot it will remove a lot of you dye. As for the sink clogging that really does have more to do with the wig you've purchased over the dye.

Also in regards to using a tray over a spray bottle I wouldn't recommend it, just use a funnel to get the alcohol into your spray bottle, that way you won't have to worry about missing it.

Ffiferoo
04-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before, I read the older topic a few weeks ago and I can't remember if anyone mentioned it, but what size spray bottle would you recommend using? Like a Windex-sized kind of deal, or something smaller?

Ringo
04-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Well after a bit of experimentation I've finished dying my wig using the Acrylic dye method. =D

I started with a 613 Platinum Blonde wig and used the Process Magenta and Purple Lake ink to mix the color. ^_^

I did edn up having to dye the wig twice. XD

Frist Round:
10 (full droppers) Magenta
4 (full droppers) Purple
1 cup 70 Alcohol
The color didn't turn as dark as I needed it and it wasn't sticking to the roots very well. XD The color was also much lighter than I need, so I played around with the recipe a bit.

Round Two:
20 (full droppers) Magenta
10 (full droppers) Purple
Half cup of 90 Alcohol
This time the dye took very well, especially to the roots. Half a cup was the perfect amount to cover the entire wig and touch up the roots. The color is a touch lighter than I would have wanted, next time I'll start with a different base color wig if I need a darker finish. I think uping the alcohol proof help as well.
I did rinse and dry the wig inbetween each dye treatment and let it dry. So if your trying for a darker color I would suggest uping the amount of ink and the proof of the alcohol, and also reduce the amount of alcohol. ( I hope that makes sense. XD)

Here are some pictures for ya!
The character is Lunamaria Hawke from Gundam Seed Destiny

black shinigami
04-25-2005, 02:20 AM
lol. I didn't mean clog the sink as in hair. I didn't know you should run it so the water turns clear, so I used shampoo and the bubbles started coming out of the other end(there's this drain in the middle of no where and the bubbles came out from there).

Well I think I should read this before I started to dye the wig again. DON'T USE THE TRAY!! The fumes will kill you. I mean it I almost died. And the wig just sucks up all the dye.

well, yea, next time, i think I'll bend the cup a bit.

Well I took some photos and here's what it looks like. coz of lighting reasons the photo doesn't look EXACTLY like the wig but close. I'm gonna borrow a anit-frizz serum from my friend to anti-frizz it(I don't have em coz i never get frizzy hair in case you're wondering)

Honey Bunny
04-25-2005, 02:21 AM
I'm glad it worked out for you Ringo. I've been playing around with purple lake and indigo and making every shade of purple known to man lately. Getting the exact color the first time is probably the most challenging part since there are so many shades that you can potentially make. Anyhow, I think the wig looks great, and I'm glad you posted the formula you used.

KuroBara
04-25-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks for posting this Honey Bunny! I don't have a Dick Blick nearby, but I went to Michael's and got some Liquitex "concentrated acrylic artist color" and some 91% isopropyl alcohol. The only thing I couldn't find was a spray bottle, so I'll head to a beauty supply store later this week. The color I bought was "French Blue/Grey" since light blues / grays are very hard (nearly impossible) to find in wigs. The only spare hair I have around is light blond, but when I get a chance to try this out I'll post about it.

black shinigami
04-27-2005, 06:23 AM
You can find spray bottles in supermarkets and stuff i think. Erm..I haven't washed my wig yet from that last dye job. It's alright to leave it unwashed for a few days right? right?00

thegame2158
04-27-2005, 07:08 AM
i was hoping to find a way to turn my brownish color wig to a blonde color wig. kinda upsetting that no one has done it yet lol i don't think it will work. i have a cheap blonde wig but when i mean cheap, the hair is all over the place and falls out too. kinda depressing. i was hoping to make my synthetic wig a better color

black shinigami
04-28-2005, 02:08 AM
I would order from there but isn't it US shipping only? The problem is that Wigs pricing in US dollars are really expensive here and including shipping they cost a fortune.

takanori
04-28-2005, 03:05 AM
We're being watched, which is quite funny. ^_^ (The ad below)

black shinigami
04-28-2005, 04:46 AM
That is scary. 00;;

mikazuki
04-28-2005, 12:35 PM
i was hoping to find a way to turn my brownish color wig to a blonde color wig. kinda upsetting that no one has done it yet lol i don't think it will work. i have a cheap blonde wig but when i mean cheap, the hair is all over the place and falls out too. kinda depressing. i was hoping to make my synthetic wig a better color

You won't be able to. When it comes to synthetic fibers such as in wigs bleaching or using any kind of paint remover would basically "melt" the wig.

thegame2158
04-28-2005, 08:19 PM
You won't be able to. When it comes to synthetic fibers such as in wigs bleaching or using any kind of paint remover would basically "melt" the wig.

well thanks anyway. i guess i'm gonna have to use my cheesey crappy wig.

black shinigami
04-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Those wig ads are annoying

(SiN)
05-03-2005, 01:49 AM
wow. . i've been seeing alot of ppl that turn platinum wigs into colors that they like. . however, i've been looking for the perfect platinum wigs. . . and to my anguish was unable to find one as such.

recently i found a wig that looks exactly like i want it to be. . buts it only comes in brown, red, and blonde. is there a way to dye it white?

help would greatly be appreciated on this.

Honey Bunny
05-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Using this method there is no way to dye the wig white. I tried it before earlier in the thread.

(SiN)
05-04-2005, 11:31 AM
what if i were to mix cool grey with the white.....?

LadyoftheThread
05-04-2005, 03:07 PM
I hadn't been planning on it but I ended up dyeing my Bubbly Enchantment wig last week after I found that it looked very washed out next to the bright fabrics of the costume it was supposed to go with. I was trying for golden blonde so I used lots of gold ink plus some lemon yellow. I was in a hurry (wanted to wear the costume over the weekend) so I put the wig in a pan, poured the dye over it, and swished it around rather than using a spray bottle. Then, left it out on newspapers and paper towels to dry.

I think there was something wrong with my gold ink because the pigment didn't stick to the wig fibers at all despite my mixing in practically the whole bottle. All the glitter ended up either on the newspapers, the scalp of the wig, or washing away when I rinsed the wig after about 5 1/2 hours drying time. I noticed that the gold pigment tended to seperate out of the dye and fall to the bottom of my bottle pretty quickly while the yellow stayed mixed with the alcohol. Maybe, the ink was too old like I thought when I first tried a swatch with only gold. :-/

The wig did take the yellow but it was rather streaky in the middle and ends. I think it had to do with how I left it out to dry. I'll have to try and redo the dye job sometime to make it more consistent. At least, the color went better with my costume. (I'm wearing the wig in my new avatar.)

Oh, and I've also observed that wig detangler can cause the color to bleed slightly. (Or the kind that I have anyway.) A bit of color came off on my fingers when I was detangling the wig and some clear elastics that I used while styling the wig took on a yellow tint.

CosplayerGabi
05-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Oh, and I've also observed that wig detangler can cause the color to bleed slightly. (Or the kind that I have anyway.) A bit of color came off on my fingers when I was detangling the wig and some clear elastics that I used while styling the wig took on a yellow tint.

Check the ingredients in your detangler. If it has any kind of alcohol in it that's why the color comes off. Remember you put on the color with alcohol...and alcohol can take it off too. Mine has a bit in it too and I have to be careful with the amount I use on my dark purple wig.

I thought someone said something about metallics not taking so well. I think if I were going to experiment with glittery looks I'd try a little bit of that glitter hair spray. Just a bit though to make sure it won't rub off the color.

LadyoftheThread
05-04-2005, 08:13 PM
Check the ingredients in your detangler. If it has any kind of alcohol in it that's why the color comes off. Remember you put on the color with alcohol...and alcohol can take it off too. Mine has a bit in it too and I have to be careful with the amount I use on my dark purple wig.

I thought someone said something about metallics not taking so well. I think if I were going to experiment with glittery looks I'd try a little bit of that glitter hair spray. Just a bit though to make sure it won't rub off the color.

*nod* Yes, I know alcohol will cause the color to bleed. That's why I've avoided using things like hairspray on my dyed wig. I've looked at my bottle of wig detangler but the ingredients list is mostly scientific sounding chemical names. So, I'm not sure if one of them is some form of alcohol. ^_^;;

The glitter wasn't really a requirement. I just thought it would be cool if the wig had some extra shine but just being more yellow is okay.

HowlinMadMurphy
05-04-2005, 08:39 PM
I don't think dipping the wig in a tub of colored alcohol would work. Definitely stick with spraying.

Here's why: when you dredge it in a tub, that gives any pigments that HAPPEN to stick to the wig fibers a chance to get cleaned right off with the alcohol it's suspended in. (That said, if you dye your wig and don't like it, you can just rinse it off by doing the aforementioned minus the pigment.)

What you're doing with the alcohol in the first place is suspending little bits of pigment in it-- when you spray it, it deposits alcohol and pigment, and when the alcohol evaporates, pigment is all you have left.

The only way I can see gold and silver making wigs "shiny" is if there are little flecks in it, like glitter. Wigs aren't metallic shiny to begin with, so you can't spray on that effect without affecting the texture of the fiber. You can only put on a translucent color. If anything, you'll just get the effect of the underlying pigment of the ink (much like the silver and gold sharpies, you'll get grey and brownish, respectively).

newmyu
05-04-2005, 10:42 PM
I don't think dipping the wig in a tub of colored alcohol would work. Definitely stick with spraying.

Here's why: when you dredge it in a tub, that gives any pigments that HAPPEN to stick to the wig fibers a chance to get cleaned right off with the alcohol it's suspended in. (That said, if you dye your wig and don't like it, you can just rinse it off by doing the aforementioned minus the pigment.)

What you're doing with the alcohol in the first place is suspending little bits of pigment in it-- when you spray it, it deposits alcohol and pigment, and when the alcohol evaporates, pigment is all you have left.

The only way I can see gold and silver making wigs "shiny" is if there are little flecks in it, like glitter. Wigs aren't metallic shiny to begin with, so you can't spray on that effect without affecting the texture of the fiber. You can only put on a translucent color. If anything, you'll just get the effect of the underlying pigment of the ink (much like the silver and gold sharpies, you'll get grey and brownish, respectively).

Actually, I've done this (with sharpie dye, not the acrylic dye) and had I gotten the right mix of color, the wig would have been perfect... the coverage was incredible, and quick, too.

As far as I know, there aren't any gold sharpies, except for the poster paint sharpies. The silver ones WILL make a wig metallic silver, but you have to actually color the wig, mixing it into a dye with alcohol will only give you a dark gray color.

You're right about the whole alcohol-suspension thing though, as well as it removing the pigment too, or at least that's the case with sharpies, and I don't see why it would be different with this ink. Water always seemed to make sharpie dye less likely to stick though, like a lubricant against the alcohol (which makes sense, because I believe alcohol weighs less than water).

Good luck!

HowlinMadMurphy
05-04-2005, 10:59 PM
Hm. That's interesting that it worked for you. I did the same but it didn't work for squat. Was the color shift a small one?
I've also tried the silver sharpie on wig fiber. It looks shiny immediately after you color it on, but after it gets moved around and so on the metallicness flakes off and you're left with a grey color. A shiny grey, but not a sparkly, metallic silver.

There are indeed gold sharpies. There are an assload of sharpie colors in my school's bookstore, lots of pastels and odd colors like mustard and gunmetal grey. I made a mental note when I saw the giant rack so that I could custom color with more accuracy later on :o

The water isn't really a lubrication thing, and alcohol is water soluble (though you're right, it is 'lighter'), I think it's more an issue of well... getting watered down on contact. So yeah, start with a dry wig.
Why put a buffer between your pigment and the wig fiber?

newmyu
05-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Hrm... I want a gold sharpie now.. ;.; Just to play with. I use sharpies like other people use Prismacolors.. ^_^;;; *has GOT to find a place locally that sells individual sharpies!*

EDIT: The wig went from a bright yellow to a really bright lime green.. o.O;;

Angel Tifa
05-05-2005, 12:32 AM
Thanks a bunch! I took all the notes in my cosplay journal for future referances. Now I just have one question: can it lighten a darker blue wig to a lighter blue wig?

black shinigami
05-05-2005, 12:35 AM
I had dipped my wig in a tray and the wig sucked up the dye easily(infact too well). Well, I think maybe you should leave it to dry for longer, or else just use gold paint and paint it on. Get your hand or brush and brush on some of the colour too.

Space Invader
05-05-2005, 12:48 AM
Never EVER use acrylic PAINT on wigs ;_;. It will make it crispy and flakey and just... no. The only method I've ever heard of working with acrylic paints is to water it down a LOT and comb it through the wig (and continue combing it until it's totally dry). Even then I believe it would still remain a bit crunchy...

I don't really see why people would want metallic wigs anyways O_o. Hair isn't metallic... and if you do want streaks or whatever in it, there's always wigs that have mylar tinsel in them.

Setsuka
05-05-2005, 09:46 PM
^^ well, I've heard the watered-down acrylic method does leave the wig a little crispy. Though not so much that one could tell that you just... painted the wig XD

But anyway, I'm so grateful for this topic and all this info! I'm having some troubles though. I needed to make a light blonde wig a sort of turquoise colour. So la-ti-da I made my dye and spray-spray-spray and got the perfect colour on the wig... after SEVERAL applications. Now I'm out of ink and have barely dyed even half of my (butt-length ^^;;) wig.

I'm using a half cup 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol with maybe 10 drops of ink. It's very dark in the bottle and when I spray it, the colour comes out of the sprayer nice and thickly but seems to... dissapear and leave only a little darkening. The first spray onto an uncoloured section leaves barely a sheer green X_X

So I'll stop blabbing and just ask: what is indicated here? am I using too strong alcohol? Not enought ink? Should I add black ink? Since Black Shinigami said that her wig sucked up dye TOO easily when dunked into the dye maybe I should try that, as my problem is the reverse?

Sorry for the rambling post X_X Any help would be greatly appreciated^^

HowlinMadMurphy
05-06-2005, 12:08 AM
I know it sucks, but since you already did half the wig, I would just complete it in the same manner. You're not going to get the same results when you start adding black and so on. Actually, I'm sure you could double up on the amount of ink you're using and spray half as much. Just don't start adding other colors.

(SiN)
05-06-2005, 01:51 AM
^^ well, I've heard the watered-down acrylic method does leave the wig a little crispy. Though not so much that one could tell that you just... painted the wig XD

But anyway, I'm so grateful for this topic and all this info! I'm having some troubles though. I needed to make a light blonde wig a sort of turquoise colour. So la-ti-da I made my dye and spray-spray-spray and got the perfect colour on the wig... after SEVERAL applications. Now I'm out of ink and have barely dyed even half of my (butt-length ^^;;) wig.

I'm using a half cup 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol with maybe 10 drops of ink. It's very dark in the bottle and when I spray it, the colour comes out of the sprayer nice and thickly but seems to... dissapear and leave only a little darkening. The first spray onto an uncoloured section leaves barely a sheer green X_X

So I'll stop blabbing and just ask: what is indicated here? am I using too strong alcohol? Not enought ink? Should I add black ink? Since Black Shinigami said that her wig sucked up dye TOO easily when dunked into the dye maybe I should try that, as my problem is the reverse?

Sorry for the rambling post X_X Any help would be greatly appreciated^^

sounds like to me, that you're not shaking the bottle of ink b4 you add it to your batch.

CosplayerGabi
05-06-2005, 09:00 AM
For to people trying to turn darker wigs into a lighter color:

Think about this. What is a synthetic wig made of? Plastic, very thin plastic...
When they color plastic how do they do it? If they want a uniform color all the way through they add the dye to the plastic while it's still a liquid. So the color is imbedded in the plastic. It will not come out. You can't make a dark plastic into a lighter plastic once it's cooled and hardened unless you melt it again and add more plastic to make it lighter.
Grab a one color plastic cup from your cupboard. If you cut it in half you can see the same color all the way through. You cannot remove that.
Right now we have no methods to remove embedded color from plastic and no sure way to coat a darker wig with a lighter material that doesn't make it crunchy.

In a nutshell, you cannot lighten a darker wig. You always want to start with a lighter base color and then go darker.

black shinigami
05-06-2005, 09:26 PM
Well, actually when i meant it sucked up the dye easily I meant it SUCKED up the dye easily. As in like, one patch of it, sucking up all the dye(yea, it still drips).

The running out of alco thing happened to me too. What you do is go and buy more and continue spraying, that's what I did anyway. Oh and um..I think you'll need quite alot of bottles too, my back length wig took 2 bottles so I dunno how much your butt length wig will take.

novaraven1
05-07-2005, 10:34 AM
[QUOTE=newmyu]There is one major concern (at least, for me) about this product versus sharpie dye. Sharpies are, as most know, non-toxic. The ink you're using (the dickblick stuff) is. That alone is enough for me to avoid it, but I would also be doing most of the dying in my bathroom, which isn't a terribly well ventilated place, even WITH the fan on. The rubbing alcohol is bad enough for a person, but before you expose yourself to this stuff too much, you might email the people at dickblick and ask for a MSDS sheet to see exactly what hazardous stuff is in it.

FYI: Just because a paint or ink says it is non toxic on the label does not mean it actually is completely without toxic chemicals. It just means it will not dammage you immediately. Long term exposure can still lead to a harmful level of toxic build up.

For example:All acrylic paints say non toxic on the label. They will also hurt you if you use them on a daily basis without protection. I am an artist and this is something myself and alot of my friends were not aware of until we went to the safety lecture held by our school. Some of our own teachers have developed health problems because of the materials they work with.

There are different levels and ratings of toxicity. Putting non toxic on a label only means that short term exposure is relatively safe and will not cause immediate physical harm to an average healthy human being. In short, you can eat it and not die. That does not mean you want to have it next to your skin every day for a week without some sort of protection.

Personally, in regards to wig dye, I do not think the dye already on most wigs could be any less toxic than the inks discussed here. There are undoubtedly chemicals already in synthetic wigs and if you are that sensitive and that worried about it then you probably should go build yourself a nice safe bubble somewhere to live in because our world as it is now will always be full of unsafe toxins. There is not an inch of this planet not touched by acid rain. It's the reality of our cancer plagued existence. If you think wearing a pink wig for a weekend will kill you I can do nothing but laugh.

newmyu
05-07-2005, 05:05 PM
FYI: Just because a paint or ink says it is non toxic on the label does not mean it actually is completely without toxic chemicals. It just means it will not dammage you immediately. Long term exposure can still lead to a harmful level of toxic build up.

For example:All acrylic paints say non toxic on the label. They will also hurt you if you use them on a daily basis without protection. I am an artist and this is something myself and alot of my friends were not aware of until we went to the safety lecture held by our school. Some of our own teachers have developed health problems because of the materials they work with.

There are different levels and ratings of toxicity. Putting non toxic on a label only means that short term exposure is relatively safe and will not cause immediate physical harm to an average healthy human being. In short, you can eat it and not die. That does not mean you want to have it next to your skin every day for a week without some sort of protection.

Personally, in regards to wig dye, I do not think the dye already on most wigs could be any less toxic than the inks discussed here. There are undoubtedly chemicals already in synthetic wigs and if you are that sensitive and that worried about it then you probably should go build yourself a nice safe bubble somewhere to live in because our world as it is now will always be full of unsafe toxins. There is not an inch of this planet not touched by acid rain. It's the reality of our cancer plagued existence. If you think wearing a pink wig for a weekend will kill you I can do nothing but laugh.

You know, you're absolutely right that a product labeled as non-toxic CAN contain trace amounts of potentially harmful chemicals. However, exposure to these chemicals, when used normally, tend to stay WELL within safe limits. Hence the reason Sharpies are safe, and considered non-toxic. I'm certainly not telling people to concentrate the contents and inhale to their heart's content. Good grief, use some common sense.

The point I was making is that this ink is known to contain high enough levels of toxic chemicals that it is potentially harmful when used for ANYTHING other than the specific purpose (and in the specific way indicated) on the bottle.

I think you're confused on the differences between differences though. The 'non-toxic' certification means that a product is safe to use in an everyday environment, provided you aren't concentrating it and abusing it. Substances without the non-toxic rating are safe to use for short periods, following specific guidelines. In other words, making wig dye with sharpies and getting it all over your hands is probably not going to cause you any problems unless you're specifically allergic/sensitive to a chemical in Sharpies. The Dickblick ink, on the other hand, IS known to contain significant amounts of toxic chemicals and when made into a wig dye is far more likely to cause people problems if they're in constant contact with it.

As a general rule, wigs when purchased, are not coated with dye. They are simply made of colored, extruded plastic strands, and depending upon the quality of the wig, these strands are different qualities as well. Dying a wig with either type of dye (sharpie or dickblick-based dye) is going to leave a good portion of the original ink chemicals on the wig. Since we know that Sharpies are relatively safe (not 100%...nothing ever is) and we know that Dickblick ink is considered a chemical to be careful with, there is more room for the possibility that the constant exposure associated with wearing a wig dyed with such a chemical is more likely to release larger amounts of potentially dangerous chemicals into the wearer's system.

Now, if you want to laugh about the possibility of someone using a chemical on their wig, completely unaware of its potential hazards, and it ends up causing them problems later on in life, feel free. I hate to say it though, but I don't find it a funny matter. Yes, the world is polluted, cancer abounds, but that's no reason to stop paying attention to what goes in and on your body. Honestly, you'd probably be surprised just how much your skin absorbs the chemicals you are exposed to every day.

purplevix
05-09-2005, 06:47 PM
so yeah, don't use Sandford brand Higgins ink the colors' just weird, I'm trying to go green, and when I used the green, it ended up a sickly yellow. I'm going to go through my process so maybe the more experienced can figure out where I went wrong.

Materials:
one bottle of ink
one bottle of alcohol
one dollar store spray bottle
two packs of white silky extensions
one ladder (it'll make sense in a few)
one tub of water
one plastic gloves
one plastic hanger
two rubber bands

So I rubber-banded the extensions to the hanger, and hung it on the cross-bar of a ladder in my backyard (lucky for me both my neighbors have high wooden fences... though they'd prolly just say that the neighbor girl's doing something weird again... but ah well). I first did the 8-drop to 1-cup ratio, and it was a really light yellow. I kept adding more and more ink to progressively less alcohol, until I ended up with the whole bottle to about 6 ounces of alcohol, and it was just a darker shade of the same sickly yellow.

the tub of water was in case I got it on my arms or feet, which were both bare.

I was using 70% ethyl alcohol (it smelled like nail polish remover), but I don't think it made a difference.

I think I've going to have to concoct a combination of blue and yellow (maybe black?) to get the nice dark green I want.

I'm trying to match Amphigory's Crave color, a bright emerald green, for Lettuce of Tokyo Mew Mew

And I want to note, the con's this weekend. (Acen)

If all else fails, I'll grab a bunch of green Sharpies and go to town on it.

Christine

Setsuka
05-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Well, after reducing my alcohol to 1/4 cup and upping my ink (which I DID shake^^), I still got crappy results AND my sprayer stopped working!! In a fit of rage (^___^;; *easily angered* NOT GOOD, I know) I dumped all my dye into a little shallow pan and dunked the undyed bangs of the wig in it! I guess this didn't work for others but I got excellent, proper coloured, even coverage, unlike with the sprayer. This was a little messier than the spraying but my ink went a heck of a lot further as well. Now the entire wig is covered, I'm just waiting to rinse it. Phew!

purplevix
05-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Well, after reducing my alcohol to 1/4 cup and upping my ink (which I DID shake^^), I still got crappy results AND my sprayer stopped working!! In a fit of rage (^___^;; *easily angered* NOT GOOD, I know) I dumped all my dye into a little shallow pan and dunked the undyed bangs of the wig in it! I guess this didn't work for others but I got excellent, proper coloured, even coverage, unlike with the sprayer. This was a little messier than the spraying but my ink went a heck of a lot further as well. Now the entire wig is covered, I'm just waiting to rinse it. Phew!

I might consider dipping my extensions... any idea what your ratio was?

Honey Bunny
05-10-2005, 12:45 PM
I was working with another brand of ink myself the other day and although it was clearly purple on the outside, when combined with 90% alcohol it became pink right in the sprayer. So first I'd recommend FW's dye every time because it doesn't change pigments. So here's what I think you should do if you want to go for it again, get FW green and a blue to darken (try to stay within familar colors to the one you're starting with) For example when I wanted a darker purple and didn't like the results with black ink, I used indigo ink and it gave me a true shade of dark purple. The black will show up somewhat in your shade. As always I suggest mixing the ink in a little up first and seeing what shade you'll get, add a couple of drops of alchol and seeing how much it will lighten.

In short other inks (usally in the 2.99 range) will turn completly different colors when mixed with alcohol. And if the color isn't what you want when it's in the sprayer don't spray it.

Melfina
05-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Honey Bunny, I just wanted to thank you for all your awesome wig dying advice! I got the ink all set for my Yuki wig (gray, purple, and black); now I'm just waiting for the wig to arrive. Thanks so much for your help!

purplevix
05-10-2005, 10:46 PM
I was working with another brand of ink myself the other day and although it was clearly purple on the outside, when combined with 90% alcohol it became pink right in the sprayer. So first I'd recommend FW's dye every time because it doesn't change pigments. So here's what I think you should do if you want to go for it again, get FW green and a blue to darken (try to stay within familar colors to the one you're starting with) For example when I wanted a darker purple and didn't like the results with black ink, I used indigo ink and it gave me a true shade of dark purple. The black will show up somewhat in your shade. As always I suggest mixing the ink in a little up first and seeing what shade you'll get, add a couple of drops of alchol and seeing how much it will lighten.

In short other inks (usally in the 2.99 range) will turn completly different colors when mixed with alcohol. And if the color isn't what you want when it's in the sprayer don't spray it.

thanks for that confirmation, I don't have the time to order it, so I'm going to just attack my extensions with sharpies first thing tomorrow morning

ah well, at least my experience has contributed.... at the cost of nearly 10 bucks...~.~

*junbei*
05-13-2005, 08:36 PM
I have a platinum blonde wig and I want to make it a little shade darker so it would be more ashy. What color ink should I use? I don't want to change it too drastically.

Winter Divinity
05-18-2005, 04:09 PM
I couldn't find the color I needed with FW, instead I found sky blue in another brand called Pearlescent. It doesn't have the ink dropper, so will it still work?

junkeemunky
05-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Thank you so much, this was very helpful, especially to a first-year cosplayer! You really did a good job finding a technique anyone can understand! <3

Kartos
05-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Thank you so much for posting this! My friend linked me here, and it completely helped me for my sculpture final! I didn't want to have to buy a green ponyfall, and I wanted a specific shade. So I followed your insctructions (to which I already had a bunch of FW ink XD) and it worked wonderful! This is my project half done. I bought a pink/purple wig as my base, and I'm adding green sprigs, which were very cheap but high quality blond fiber before I dyed them!.

http://intheunknown.net/kartos/sculptpink.jpg

Again, thank you so much you saved me a lot of money and time! :D

black shinigami
05-22-2005, 02:07 AM
Um..There was this metallic ink brush from pentel I bought at kino the other day and it said it was water based pigment ink. If I have a lil left over, I might try and test it on some hair extensions to see if it works or not. That might solve the Metallic dye problem.

Space Invader
05-22-2005, 01:51 PM
>Um..There was this metallic ink brush from pentel I bought at kino the other day and it said it was water based pigment ink

You don't want to use anything water-based to color a wig, it will rub off. Also, if it gets wet (even just slightly damp, like if it's humid outside or you start sweating), goodbye color and hello stained costume.

Tomoko Ami
05-25-2005, 02:59 PM
i have just tried a few drops of acrylic in thinning alcohol....i'll let you know if it works....

Tenshinoitami1
05-25-2005, 06:41 PM
This thread is so long but is being very helpful, I'm currently trying to dye a wig (bought the lighest shade I could in the Cosplay.com store) and will be buying the FW dye soon if it's at my local art store. The only question I have is exactly WHAT TYPE of alcohol do I need to get? I see a bunch of things mention in the thread (and this thread is so long my head starts to spin after a while) that I'm really confused as to what alcohol I should be buying.

Thank you for your help ^^;

Solaria
05-25-2005, 10:23 PM
91% rubbing alcohol should be fine. You can get it at any grocery store, and if they don't have it for some reason, go with the 70%.

*junbei*
05-27-2005, 05:14 AM
I bought some FW ink online and instead of buying it from dickblick.com, I bought it from flaxart.com and saved 2$ on shipping. Anyone try other inks not FW like bombay india ink or speedball? They have similar properties like FW ink such as lightfast and permanent, was considering to try it but didnt want to risk it.

cherridandi
05-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Its nice to see this technique has had so much sucess for everyone, its really inspirational. But I was wondering, will this work for any wig hair type? I saw it mentioned before that it was done with Kanekalon. I tried a similar technique with fabric dye, that I was told would work well....it didnt. =/ So I was afraid it was maybe the hair itself, or maybe its just the dye I tried?

Zell dincht
05-30-2005, 09:59 PM
how would you use a mothod for an albel wig exactly http://ces.velvet.jp/so3e/albel01.jpg

Aya Frost
06-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Just to let everyone know, I've been searching around, to find even cheaper ink bottles and i found a few that are slightly cheaper.

$4.20: http://www.discountart.com/store/FWacrylicartistink.html

$3.99: http://www.cheapjoes.com/store/navigation.asp?cat=5667

$4.23: http://www.misterart.com/store/view.cfm?group_id=5751675&store=001&AID=10273655&PID=234365

So the cheapest I found was at cheapjoes.com. However I don't know anything about the shipping and handling, nor the safety of the transactions. Also I don't think the other sites have bulk orders, so the original site is the best probably for mass orders. I hope this helps anyone that's in a really tight budget.

*Some items are out of stock at Cheapjoes.

Cheetos
06-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Try calling your local art supply stores, too... that's where I got mine (Pearl Art, or PLA-ZA). I know Micheal's doesn't carry them though...

Sephiria-chan
06-19-2005, 11:02 PM
Wow, this is a great thread! It should be made sticky!!! Im getting myself a white wig from the wig store here and this dying will make it perfect for any future cosplays I do!!!!! Just want to check, to remove the dye using alcohol, is there a certain time frame it must be done within in order to have full effect?

Umi
06-20-2005, 02:11 AM
Wondering if this only works on white wig hair? How does it work on colored wig hair... for example making a light pink wig a slightly darker shade or making a really really dark green wig? Is the change as drastic or do you recommend using more black to darken the dy color?

Gren
06-20-2005, 09:20 AM
black pigmints are usually not really black. Most commonly they are a deep brick red, or indigo color so trying to add justy a little may have an adverse effect on your color. It MAY work out, as these are colors intended for artists, so the black may have pure black pigmint, but I'd recommend testing it on a small lock of the hair beforehand.

As for working on colored wigs? Absolutely. You simply have to remember that the colors are transparent, so they will tint the surface they are being put on, not re-color it. Think of it as a marker on colored construction paper. Your red would overpower the light colors of white and yellow, possibly make a darker red streak on red paper, but when you tried applying it to your dark blues, greens and browns, the paper and the red would make a whole new, darker color, and it would have no effect on the black.

Honey Bunny
06-20-2005, 01:12 PM
I'd always recommend using a pigment in the same color scheme to darken now. (Darken purple with blue, orange with red etc....) As for working on a pink wig to make it darker, yes that would work, however each wig is differnt and you'd probably want to experiment with some of the wig hair before going all out.

LadyoftheThread
06-23-2005, 01:06 AM
I wore a very long wig that I dyed using this method at a convention over the weekend and I learned that you should be careful if your costume is high collared. ^_^; The dyed wig was worn with the costume in my avatar pretty much all of Saturday. When I finally changed out of the outfit, I noticed that the back of the neckband on my white and purple tops had picked up some yellow stains. I think it was due to the fabric being in close contact with the back edge of the wig all day and the wig starting to get sticky from wig detangler. Fortunately, there was no staining from the rest of the wig just hanging over the back of the costume and my brocade outer robe with quilted collar didnít stain because it wasnít high-necked.

The bit of staining on my inner tops isnít really a big deal since itíd always be hidden under my wig but I thought I should advise others to be cautious if theyíre planning to wear their dyed wig with a high-necked costume.

Zell dincht
06-27-2005, 02:26 PM
bump ness

Sarcasm-hime
06-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Just to address a few questions that have been asked:

- alcohol doesn't go with acrylic paints - the alcohol is for ink dyes. Acrylics need to be diluted with water.

- metallic ink such as gold won't work because it's basically tiny flecks of metal suspended in a liquid - it's different from the other inks which are pigments. The metal flecks have to sit on the surface to appear shiny and metallic, so when diluted you'll only get flecks here and there on the wig.

- It is impossible to dye a wig a lighter colour. Dyes are translucent; they add to the existing colour but cannot completely cover it up.

- In a similar vein, you can't go from white or pale blonde to absolute black using wig dye. Because it's translucent, you'll never get a dark enough shade.

black shinigami
07-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Mm..with my lacus wig, I used the Acrylic method but no matter how I wash it, it's always stiff. Any suggestions?

Jia Jem
07-21-2005, 06:29 PM
I dyed my Rydia wig (it used to be white! the extensions were white and platinum) with Copic marker refills diluted with rubbing alcohol. The wig goes halfway down my back, and I only needed 1 refill (diluted) to dye it all! I got a few different shades of green, diluted at different strengths, to do the extensions. So my wig is like 10 shades of green.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=413884
Copic markers are permanant illustration markers; like sharpies, but the refills made it easier to use than breaking sharpies apart. o_O Just dunked the whole wig, swished it around, and hung it up to dry. The great thing about Copic markers is that they come in like every freaking color under the sun, and cost about $4 a pop depending on where you get them. I ordered mine online here:
http://www.jttmicroscale.com/

BTW, I recently ran into a theater doctorate at my work whose job it is to travel around the country and style wigs for theatres. The PROFESSIONAL method used to dye synthetic wigs? .....SHARPIES. Haha!

mikazuki
07-21-2005, 06:33 PM
I dyed my Rydia wig (it used to be white! the extensions were white and platinum)....

WOW. That wig turned out very lovely.

jade_dincht
07-21-2005, 10:00 PM
ok, i didn't buy fw ink, but i found acrillic artists ink at a local art store, i wanted my wig brown and used some pieces of the wig i'd kept to experiment with, it keeps turning green, if i go back to sharpie method, will it turn green??

lemming
07-28-2005, 10:26 AM
I know I've probably missed it in this thread...

What were the proportions for dye/alcohol if you want to dunk a wig in a bucket or similar?

Cherry
07-28-2005, 10:50 AM
(Gren posting in Cherry's account, because I'm laaaaazy)

Dunking a wig into a bucket is not a good way to go. You would get little if any color.

The reason that people use spray bottles if because the spray deposit the dye/alchohol solution in a thin enough layer that it cannot collect together and drip off. The alcohol evaporates, and you are left with only the dye.

If you dunked the wig, most of the alchohol/dye solution would drip right off the wig again before the alcohol had a chance to exaporate and deposit the dye. Spraying takes a bit longer, but I porimise it's not all that bad. : D

Jade Dincht- Sharpies are transparent pigment suspended in alcohol. Acrylics are opaque plastics suspended in water. The two are not interchangable. Unless your base wig is a very unusual color, sharpies should work just fine. If you're nervous, test on a lock that you wouldn't mind having to snip off (or on more practice hair, if you have it.)

Setsuka
07-29-2005, 11:52 AM
Actually, I dunked my wig, after getting frustrated with trying to spray a butt length wig and getting barely any coverage. I dumped maybe 1/3 cup of alcohol and 8 (?) drops of ink in a small, shallow pan and dunked a section of the wig into it. I pressed it in with my gloved hands. Sometimes I dumped more dye mix that I made in another bottle onto it. I worked the dye in with my hands so it soaked the section fully. Then I lifted the wig up and squeezed the excess dye either down the length of the wig (I started at the top) or back into the pan. I repeated this sections at a time, working my way from top to bottom.
Here's what I got:
wig before (http://tinypic.com/9kpn2w.jpg)
wig after (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=425937)
and yes, this made a HUGE MESS (http://tinypic.com/9kqijb.jpg). see I had covered the floor in trash bags and newspaper. I had originally tried that windex bottle in the photo. The wig head is on a broomstick and stood up in a wine bottle. I placed a bucket under the ends to catch all the dripping. Though I'm sure I could have just put the wig on the head and laid the length across the floor.
Anyway, the important thing is to dunk in only a little bit of dye at a time, so the wig is not swimming in a bucket of alcohol. That will not work.^^

Annie-Mei
10-08-2005, 08:00 PM
nice thread. keep this up

livengood
10-08-2005, 11:07 PM
All this information is absolutely fabulous! You've got to love this site. You learn everything from dying wigs to binding your boobs! XD

Cheetos
10-14-2005, 02:05 PM
SUCCESS! I am SO glad I read up on this, and I tried it again last night (I did it once before with not so good results...) and it was FABULOUS. The only problems I ran into were results of my own misjudgment-- I was scared to put too much ink in, so I got a more subtle change; and I ran out of mix so the top didn't get enough color to sit and set... so I have to re-color the top, since I also didn't take into consideration that gravity was going to make the dye run down the before it had a chance to settle.

If it helps anyone, I used the 1 cup to 4 squeezes ratio and got less dramatic results. I also used a trigger spray bottle to apply. Perhaps in a week or so when I get more stuff, I will show the completed dye process/wig, as well as my next big dye project (also an enchantment with with added wefts!). :3

Tia
10-15-2005, 11:56 AM
I typically use about 20 squeezes. I hold the squeeze for one second, because that's about the longest good squeeze that I could get.

Hilary
10-15-2005, 07:49 PM
Hey!
Thank you so much for this wig dyeing method! I was able to make a gorgeous cyan color with this technique. I was lazy and didn't test a swatch first and had to do 2 coats, but it looks beautiful and the texture is just as shiny and silky as it was before treating it.
I did look like a big freak standing outside with a foam head on a music stand spritzing down a wig though- thankfully it's right around Halloween so no one thought much of it.

Kairi G
10-16-2005, 07:30 PM
i <3 this idea. I really wanna try it out

KaiJule
11-20-2005, 02:49 PM
this thread is sure awesome and as useful as the other wig-dye process with Sharpies. I'll buy the materials and try this out as soon as I can, since the results you got are really amazing. This encourages me!

thanks a lot for posting this tips

Momoko
11-30-2005, 11:10 PM
I have to say, finding this has saved my crisis.

I've been all over Rochester trying to find a fire-engine red wig for a Gojyo costume, and I've had no luck. I have a convention Sunday up in Canada, I have a white wig that my friend is giving me... you totally saved the day =D

My concern comes with washing the wig... if it is a straight wig, will the hairs curl when it dries or is there a technique I should be aware of?

CosplayerGabi
12-01-2005, 01:37 AM
I have to say, finding this has saved my crisis.

My concern comes with washing the wig... if it is a straight wig, will the hairs curl when it dries or is there a technique I should be aware of?

If a wig is washed in cold water when it dries it will resume it's original state. That is to say if your wig is straight it will dry straight. If it's curly or wavy it will resume that shape when dry.

A wig will change shape if you wash it in warm or hot water. It'll relax a curl in a wig to a wave or straighter.

Momoko
12-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Awesome. Thank you very much =D

phantomthief
12-21-2005, 07:07 PM
A. *kicks thread* COME BACK TO LIFE!

B. The dye is translucent, but how much effect will if have on a darker wig? I'm getting the Linda XXL wig, but it only comes in natural colors and I need it in DARK blue.
Katie-san suggested getting a brown wig and using her midnight blue wig dye on it, But I'd have to get 2-3 bottles of her wig dye to do the whole wig and that, frankly, is out of my budget. So two main questions!

Will the FW dye turn a brown wig a dark blue? Or will I just end up with brownish mess???

Would a silver wig yield better results??? Or would it be too light?

I'd rather not buy the wig until I'm fairly certain it'll work...

~Ari-chan

Chibi-kun
12-21-2005, 07:51 PM
im too lazy to read through the whole thread but so far that I've read its been pretty helpfull :D
question: has anyone tried the sweaty head test yet?XD does the wig dye rub off? lol

phantomthief
12-21-2005, 08:08 PM
On one page someone said that their collar had a slight yellow tinge afterwards, but that's because they used an alcohal based detangler.
So, probably not.

~Ari-chan

Chibi-kun
12-21-2005, 08:36 PM
well, ill try to do one when i get my wig and see if it does work XD yay for running around all sweaty lol

KaiJule
12-23-2005, 01:52 PM
I've been looking for FW ink in my city but I got no positive answer from the art supplies stores. Could anyone give me the chemical composition of this ink so I can find a substitute? I would prefer not to order it online, but if I have no alternative... ^^U

Yumeko
12-24-2005, 01:42 PM
I've been looking for FW ink in my city but I got no positive answer from the art supplies stores. Could anyone give me the chemical composition of this ink so I can find a substitute? I would prefer not to order it online, but if I have no alternative... ^^U

To KaiJule: Dick blick is a reliable art supply store. I've had no issues in the three years I have been a customer of theirs so it is safe to order from that website

To Phantomthief: Try getting some fiber samples from your local beauty supply store and do a swatch test, however I do know useing the dark blue ink dye on a black wig will yeld an even richer black but when the light shines on it, the wig looks a deeep indigo blue

Oh and for the record, do not use any alcohol based detanglers and be sure to wear gloves when doing this...removing dye is not fun

And finally to Honey Bunny: *HUGGLE* thank you for posting this

Jaina Solo
12-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Phantomthief: Maybe mix blue and black together to get a dark blue color? However, I don't know if this will work on a pure-white wig--you can only put so much color on a wig before it just won't take anymore, and if it's a drastic color change (like white to black) you'll end up with a lighter color than you intended. Maybe start with a darker wig, like a blue color?

KaiJule
12-24-2005, 09:59 PM
To KaiJule: Dick blick is a reliable art supply store. I've had no issues in the three years I have been a customer of theirs so it is safe to order from that website

But since I wanted to do a test first, wouldn't the shipping taxes be REALLY expensive for a single tube?

Yumeko
12-25-2005, 01:29 AM
But since I wanted to do a test first, wouldn't the shipping taxes be REALLY expensive for a single tube?
Now that I don't know my suggestion is perhaps talk to a customer service rep if you can

kitti-chan
01-03-2006, 11:58 PM
i am going to try this method but i am kind of ...err....slow...a nd need soem questions answered...

1. where exactly does the alcohol go? does it go in the spray bottle?

2. when using this spray method how do you keep the color even ? is it combed through?

3. the wig i am going to dye also is going to get cut alot for the styling and i am going to make no sew wefts, but would the alcohol remove the dye so that i can use those pieces to "start over" and experiment on them with other colors?

TransurrealisTristan
01-19-2006, 10:26 PM
I live in Texas,so I can't find the ink required.Is there an alternative to this ink you recommend?

kitti-chan
01-27-2006, 11:53 PM
So I went ahead and used this method to dye my wig....

wig before hand --> http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=571315

wig afterwards sorry no unstyled pic :( ----->
front view --> http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=571352

side view --> http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=571353

back view --> http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=571354

Malicious
01-28-2006, 12:02 AM
hey kitti-chan!! they wig color looks great!! i dunno the character the wig is for but.. i hope it matches the hair color!
I'm going to have to dye a wig also.. I have a pink wig....but i need it a darker pink...this method doesn't seem so hard... I just hope the wig takes the color @_@. should I use a dark pink color for the wig? or do I need to add red or black to the dye mix?

KaiJule
01-28-2006, 05:18 AM
that coloring went awesome! it looks really cool, Kitti ^^

Rosieal
01-30-2006, 01:38 PM
I just found a shop that carries FW acrylic... I have a few questions though...

1. What is the best type of alcohol to use with this method? I heard from somewhere that whiteboard alcohol eraser is best, but then I am not certain.

2. What colour must I use to get the grey coloured highlights found in Yazoo and Kadaj's wigs.

Annie-Mei
03-17-2006, 01:03 AM
Im currently dying a white (snow white) wig to a light grey (just using the Cool Grey color available) . I'll see how it turns out.

Annie-Mei
03-17-2006, 02:10 PM
well, i ended up with disappointing results.

I used a 1/2 cup 70% alcohol to 20 full drops of Cool Grey, sprayed.
rinse and let dry. It did come out the grey I needed however

Now its a wiry mess; stiff and crispy.

Honey Bunny
03-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Did you rinse it out and comb it through?

I've done this about 40 times and have never gotten a crispy wig unless I was using really cheap crappy hair. Where did your wig come from?

Annie-Mei
03-17-2006, 06:19 PM
its a high quality Kanekalon wig I got off http://www.discountwig.net/. I rinsed for 10 minutes under cold water.

Still crispy/stiff now that its been drying for 12 hours. can't even get a comb through it. Looks like when you hair spray a wigh too much.

On a side note: I've colored this same type of wig from the same store using Katie Bair's Wig Dye and it came out alright (not stiff, still retains its soft and silky feel).

Honey Bunny
03-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Ok then I guess the new rule is if you're buying a $9.99 wig from discountwig.net don't use this method on it.

Annie-Mei
03-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Um, this was on a $39 wig; not one of their cheap ones (however their $9.99 is as good as a wig from Amphigory, since I have two wigs from Amphigory and two wigs from that website). I died one of the discountwigs with katie bair's wig dye, and it dyed the same way it did for the amphigory wigs. They are all Kanekalon fibre, and unless they make several different types of Kanekalon fibre, I dont know how you can make that type of "rule" unless you have bought wigs from both sites.

Basically, it boils down to: there is no concrete mixture offered in this thread that is working out.

I followed the "20 drops to 1/2 cup alcohol" and it came out stiff
I followed the "10 drops to 1 cup aclohol" and the color didn;t even stay after blow drying on low heat then washed out when I rinsed it under cold water).
I made my own mixture 10 drops to 1/2 cup alcohol and it ended up stiff. So where is the "right" point?

Does anyone have a concrete mixture? I haven't seen one in this thread that has been offered. I have a pack of extensions that Im testing on and I haven't found the right medium yet with this method.

Kartos
03-18-2006, 09:58 AM
There is no concrete mixture because it is all about the color you want. I needed the color of sea foam, and I had to dye the wig a billion times with a lot less alcohol when I did it, so it in that respect does not follow the OP's mixture at all. Had I used the measurement's she does initially, it would have taken years to do.

On this crunchy wig, how many times did you dye it? I noticed the more I dyed mine, the stiffer it became, but it did eventually comb out.

Annie-Mei
03-18-2006, 08:41 PM
once.

Chibi-kun
03-18-2006, 09:54 PM
I've been reading through the thread and before I start to attempt this dying tech. I wanted to ask, if my wig did came out rather stiffly, would conditioner work to unstiffen it? or should i run it through hot water after i'm sure the color stays?.

Annie-Mei
03-19-2006, 03:15 AM
dont use hot water on your wig, unless you plan on straightening it. hot water can damage the fibers further.

conditioner doesn't work on wigs. you would need a wig conditioner (different type of chemical) to soften a wig fibre.

However, this is not like the "sharpie" method. YOU are working with a liquid type of paint.

kuri chan
04-12-2006, 09:53 AM
ive got my white wig.
ive got my dyes.... purple lake and white.

now i need to achieve something near this color.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/kurichan517/LJ%20crops/MayaLJ.jpg

ive seen some similar color dyed wigs in this thread, before i start experimenting, does anyone have an idea of how many drops of each i should try?

and just to make sure ive got this right, its 1 cup 90% rubbing alchol with the dye in the spray bottle?

thank you so much for starting and continuting this thread. i hope to get the same great results all yal have.

Kartos
04-12-2006, 10:39 AM
I would suggest using small amounts of the dye until you find one that works for you. The proportions suggested didn't work for me (too diluted), but the dyes and alcohol did. I used it to dye this wig and sorta the fake fur (didn't really dye it, just kinda ontop of the fibers XD ) sadly i don't have any pictures of the wig dry and up in the ponytail. oops.

http://intheunknown.net/kartos/otakon05/madiun.jpg
wet still: http://intheunknown.net/kartos/dustinwig.png

also, i had an extremely light blond wig, but i doubt that changes much?

AngieRikku
06-21-2006, 01:45 AM
I ordered a sky blue amphigory enchantment wig hoping to tint it purple for Kos-Mos from Xenosaga 1. I'm using 91% alchohol and FW acrylic ink. However, the dye lays unevenly when i spray it. Also, when I use water... it just washes the dye right out. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks in advance! ^_^

Kartos
06-21-2006, 02:28 AM
It washes right out? You mean after it is dry and all?

Honey Bunny
06-21-2006, 06:06 AM
It you're dye is laying un-evenly it's probably your spray bottle. I just tinted an ampigory enchantment wig from power to a kinda firey looking yellow (I won't say for what). I actually have pictures of it because I'm planning to make a whole tutorial for various FW methods I've been experimenting with when the con season is over. Anyway heres a pic
http://honeybunny.50megs.com/Deandra/wigsdoub.jpg

The wig on the left is a bit shorter because I had yet to sew my two enchantment wigs together. The 2nd shot is 2 enchantments that were tinted at the same time.

If you're refering to streaks that look like highlights than those can be avoided by just standing farther away and makeing sure a mist hits the wig and not a stream.

P.S Let the wig dry for a few hours before rinseing.

starcat
06-21-2006, 07:13 PM
Hmm...if you're going to add in extensions so you can put it in ponytails, would it be better to dye the wig and extensions separately or add, part, and then dye?

Aya Frost
06-21-2006, 10:27 PM
My friend has a concern about this. We're trying to dye a medium/dark brown wig to black. She's afraid that the alcohol will remove the color of the wig. Will it?

AngieRikku
06-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Frost-Aya -
The alchohol will not remove the original color of the wig. A wig is just colored plastic. To change the original color would mean melting the wig and adding a different dye. Hope that helps. ^^

Honey Bunny -
I let the wig sit overnight until it was dry. Then I rinsed it and most of the dye ran off. How much dye should usually run off? Thanks! ^_^

UltraViolet_Tofu
06-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Ok, I know that I have bee seriously ripped off. My wig barely has any hair left. T__T Though it might be because I fitted it on a container so it stretched.

Ok for my lacus wig, I did:

8 squeezes of magenta
8 squeezes of white
1 full plastic cup of Rubbing alchohol.

When I sprayed it on, it looked alright but I think I'll have to put about 10 squeezes of white next time because after it's set, the pink is quite dark.

Ok here's my suggestion to people:

- Spray bottles are not always ideal, I think you might be better off getting a tray, pouring the mixture in there and soak the wig in. Why? Coz I keep missing the opening of the spray bottle with the rubbing alchohol.

- To get rid of the paint on your balcony or back yard floor, use Eucalyptus oil. It'll get rid of it and leave a refreshing smell. If you can't get rid of some of the harder stains, use terpentine or metho.

- make sure your plastic cup doesn't have holes at the bottom.

- Be aware that there is more hair underneath your first layer.

- Gundam model boxes are useful.

Ok, I haven't finished my wig coz I ran out of rubbing alcohol. I did a brief measurement with a tiny measuring cup and 8 squeezes of FW ink is about 16ml(it's either 6 or 16, i forgot, but one squeeze was around 2ml imo).

A full cup of rubbing alchohol is about 160mls or so.

Hope that helps.

Oh and I used newspaper under my wig. It's good but one or two sheets wont work. PUT THE WHOLE STACK UNDERNEATH!!

I have to dye a white wig a light pink this color actually
http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/airgear/character/images/img65.gif
so I was thinking...

3 drops process magenta
5 drops white
1 cup 70% alcohol

would that be good cuz I'm guessing alot of the dye will wash out but I don't want to much to wash out? but I don't like the spray bottle idea either so If I were to dunk my wing into a tray with the dye in it how long should I leave it in?

sandquillgw
06-24-2006, 03:28 PM
I was hoping someone could help me. I'm trying to achieve this wig. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/goldenazriel/animem9.jpg) Would dying a white wig with black fw dye get it to the dark, almost pitch black shade his hair is or is it just going to turn out a dark grey shade? If this won't work does anyone have a suggestion on what i should try?

KaiJule
06-24-2006, 03:53 PM
It's really difficult to achieve really dark colours with diluted inks, but you could try to do so in some extra pack of extensions

Rippin Kitten
07-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Has anyone tried this on a 613 or 613A?
Do the colours still come out as vibrant or are they a yellow tint from the blonde colour wig?

dewdropfirefly
07-10-2006, 11:21 PM
The great thing about Copic markers is that they come in like every freaking color under the sun, and cost about $4 a pop depending on where you get them. I ordered mine online here:

where in this site did you find Copic ink? I checked it out, but didnt see anything of that sort there. & most places online I see it being sold for are about $7...

Honey Bunny
07-11-2006, 03:09 AM
If that's a cosworks blond wig I'm pretty sure it will work. I like to start with a white just because it's like having a blank Canvas but I've done it with the platinum blond shades and have had the same results as a white wig. AS long as the color you're going for is darker than your start color you're safe.

Also, people tend to complain that certain wig colors don't take dye very well, but I never had an problem with ANY wig ( Loose yaki hair in a bag sometimes..........) If you do run into a problem please report to us all.

A few more pics of the process
Here's my Linda XXL during
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=740126

and here's the finished result
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=740125

(To see how it photographs in light just look at my Anthy pics)

I've done a pretty broad fiber test for the techqniue and have not run into to many problems. Once again I plan to write a full on tutorial with tips, secrets, no-no's and more probably in Aug.

P.S I finally got to put the wigs through an extensive sweat test and the wigs did not bleed onto my costume.

Aya Frost
07-13-2006, 03:44 PM
I have some news for everyone. If you're trying to dye a wig that isn't white/silver it'll take a LOT of coats. My medium brown wig which we tried to dye black, took about 5 coats, and still wasn't black. It was merely dark DARK brown. ^__^ Hope this helps anyone who is trying to dye a colored wig.

Tabby Catty
07-13-2006, 05:33 PM
That sounds helpful if I can't find any certain colored wigs so if I use that method does it make the wig lose the curls or the spikes? I'm just wondering.

Clueless Case
07-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Dye first then style.

Tabby Catty
07-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Dye first then style.

So what you are saying is if its already precurled or spiked up then it won't retain its style?

Dragonmun
07-18-2006, 01:51 PM
On the subject of making a darker wig lighter in color:

I saw somewhere earlier in the thread that mixing white with the alchohol made it transparent... which verifies what my friend said was her problem.

I was wondering if using the metallics would give off the effect of lightening the color a bit.

Clueless Case
07-18-2006, 02:21 PM
So what you are saying is if its already precurled or spiked up then it won't retain its style?
It might lose some of it, but not all.

Serey-chan
07-18-2006, 07:47 PM
This thread is so amazing!! It's really given me the confidence I needed to start styling my own wigs! ^^

That being said, Honey Bunny, what was the formula you used for your Anthy wig? I've seen a lot of people complaining that their wigs are stiff and won't comb through, but yours looks fabulous! If you could tell me what fiber your wig is made of and the formula you used, that'd be great! ^^ Thanks so much again for starting this thread!

Oh, and has anyone tried tinting a black wig yet? I want to tint a black wig purple for my Sailor Saturn/Mistress 9 cosplay and was wondering if anyone's tried it yet. ^^

FE Freak
08-08-2006, 03:10 PM
So...this one question and ill get out of your wigs.How would make this dark green color. http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/fire-emblem-rnk/art-011.jpg

[KIRIKIRIMAI]
08-12-2006, 02:32 AM
Okay, newbie here~
after my friend read this tutorial she went right out and looked for the ink you specified. Since we live in Australia I figured we wouldn't have any of that stuff. She came back with some Acrylic paint... This is completely different stuff right? so it wouldn't work right? I could provide i picture if nessascary.
oh! we'ere planning to make a Haruno Sakura wig. But if we combined Pink dye with a blond wig would it work?

Rain Miko
08-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Paint wont work, sorry. Paint is a solid, while ink is a liquid. You can mix the ink in the isopropyl alcohol, but the pain is just gonna berak down into little clumps. I tried it out once to see if it would work, and it didn't.

dark_mousy
08-13-2006, 03:35 AM
@_@ OH WOW. thanks for posting this, i can't wait to try it.

[KIRIKIRIMAI]
08-14-2006, 02:32 AM
Paint wont work, sorry. Paint is a solid, while ink is a liquid. You can mix the ink in the isopropyl alcohol, but the pain is just gonna berak down into little clumps. I tried it out once to see if it would work, and it didn't.
ah! i see i see
just incase i'll experiment what happens
thanks so much ^^

Mistress Zelyn
08-18-2006, 07:06 PM
So, using this method has anyone done just a partial dye job on a wig? Alos, when using the spray bottle does the ink have a tendency to run and spread quickly?

I ask because, I am doing the Tracy Turnblad from the movie Hairspray. So, I need a wig that is blonde on the top and black/dark brown underneath the blonde. I figured that I could use this method and dye a blonde wig darker. I'll take any suggestions on how to section off the blonde if anyone has any.

Or if anyone has seen a wig like this that would be great to! I've looked and either find a wig with 2 stripes or blond or blond highlights all over.

CapsuleCorp
09-13-2006, 11:07 PM
Well, now that I searched this up and read through it all...

The problem I had with sharpie color is that dark pink or red shades still bleed out of the wig fiber no matter how much you rinse it. My Yami Yugi wig has permanently stained the white inside collar of my schooljacket, and I rinsed it like hell, tried to rinse the berry-pink OUT and recolor it black, cover it with watered-down black acrylic, and perma-styled it with shellac. Still bleeds pink.

I'm going to do an accurate Shuichi Shindou wig (because I'm sick of out-of-the-package unstyled hot pink Shu's) and someone recommended this method to me because it won't bleed. But after reading all the posts on different people's experiments, I'm a little leery. I'd like some assurances that if I invest my money in the tools needed to dye a wig this way, I'll have the desired payout - a wig that doesn't bleed.

Granted, I may be safe even if it does, because I'm not doing the ugly yellow coat and will probably not have a collar that rubs against the wig. But I'd rather be safe than sorry by having a wig that simply doesn't bleed. Has anyone tried it with pink or red inks and can share their experience?

Also, will all my efforts be for naught once I get to the styling stage? Will even the slightest alcohol content in, say, hairspray or other styling products take all the color right back out, leaving me back at square one? I REALLY don't want that to happen, so if there's a different coloring method other than FW ink that will allow me to tint a pink wig magenta and not have it ever come out on me...I'd like to know.

Ludger03
09-17-2006, 09:35 PM
So...this one question and ill get out of your wigs.How would make this dark green color. http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/fire-emblem-rnk/art-011.jpg

your best chance be getting a green ink and blackink. or a dark green that looks almsot like it with one drop of black ink.

i would suggest you experiment it with extensions to get the right colo plus if your afraid that the color will bleed which i havent had any problems with my wig.. once that, you have the color for your wig.

to frost-aya: yes i noticed that too. i used a white punky wig to color it agua for a yugioh gx character and work great, then i had another wig that was light blue that needed to be darker and took me a few more coats of color to have it done right.

Rynn
09-27-2006, 03:33 PM
I recently tried this method and wanted to share my experience. : D

I started off with a medium length, ash blonde wig and was looking to repace the dull, grey tint with more of a gold, butterscotch one. I chose the Raw Sienna and mixed 10 full droplets of ink in with 70% alcohol in a cleaned out Windex bottle. (God forbid I pay the $.89 for a new spray bottle!) Honey Bunny recommended using 8 drops but, becuase my wig's quality was already being threatend because of the large amount of alcohol I used in a previous Sharpie experiment, I decided to use more ink than was recommended. The spraying of the wig itself was extremely easy but I soon learned that using 10 drops was a BAD idea.

The two extra drops made a huge difference.The color stuck instantly and I was very pleased until I rinsed out the ink and realized that almost all of the shine from my wig was gone. It looked as though paint had been poured over it. Because I had used so much ink, it had stuck to the fibers more quickly and I was unable to rinse it out, giving it a rough texture and even worse appearance. I was very sad because it was such a nice wig when I started! Here is a picture: Attempt #1 (http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/rynncosplay/?action=view&current=DSCN5255.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch4)

However, then things got much better! I rinsed the wig in lukewarm water with some shampoo and a LARGE amount of ink washed out. After letting it dry, I was relieved to discover that the shine had not only come back, it had kept enough of the color to give it a very nice, natural looking tint. Attempt #2 (http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/rynncosplay/alwigtake2.jpg)

Here's a comparison: Paint vs Rinsed (http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/rynncosplay/al-1-1.jpg) (It's creepy that my facial expression is the same o__o) Notice how the shine returned after I shampooed the wig. And, thankfully, the smooth texture of the wig had completely returned! Needless to say I was very thankful that things turned out well in the end!

So although I had some messups, I woud definitely recommend this method of dying as long as you follow the rules. I found it easier than sharpie dying, especially because it's much easier to determine the proper ratio of alcohol to dye. And so far I've had no rub-off problems!

Learn from my mistakes and:
- Use the suggested 8 drops per one cup of alcohol! Too much ink will cause the wig to lose its shine and too much alcohol will destroy the texture and quality of the wig.
- Rinse properly. If you want to take out more color, use warmer water (never hot)

Good luck! Thank you for all the advice, Honey Bunny!

FeelLikeRain
09-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Hmm, does anyone know if I could use fabric dye (like Rit brand, I mean) to dye synthetic hair? It's a short blonde wig that I want to dye ... well, actually, basically the same shade of dark green that'd been mentioned up there. The character is Farah Oersted from Tales of Eternia. I don't want to try any possibly stupid things before I know whether it is indeed stupid or not.

chisainekocat
09-28-2006, 12:34 AM
Are there cases of slightly cheaper wigs that have been completely ruined by this process? A lot of the pictures I see in this thread are of cosworx wigs. Although they aren't as thick as top-quality wigs, ebay stores such as edengardenhk and chinawigs are known for selling great wigs at a cheap price, and I was wondering if anybody has dyed a wig like those with this process.

linkcosplay
10-01-2006, 06:27 PM
I am creating an "Ice Vamp" wig to serve as a reference pic for my wig-making work and want to know how well this process works. Any with experience please reply and tell me how well a l=white wig would take blue. Would it be a pastel version of the original color, or would it be a replica?

Ludger03
10-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Are there cases of slightly cheaper wigs that have been completely ruined by this process? A lot of the pictures I see in this thread are of cosworx wigs. Although they aren't as thick as top-quality wigs, ebay stores such as edengardenhk and chinawigs are known for selling great wigs at a cheap price, and I was wondering if anybody has dyed a wig like those with this process.

no i havent got any problem. i ask my friend to get a wig for me from ebay and the wig was great for allen walker. but the color hair was like not white enough and i wanted to add abit of silver to make it look natural or better.

i used the FW tecnique and no not a prob. and i think i got it from chinawigs becuase it had really low prices.

Rynn
10-02-2006, 11:40 AM
I used it on the worst quality Halloween wig ever created and it still worked. : D Here's the $8 wig (http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/rencosplay/omg.jpg) when I first got it (bad, huh?) and here (http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/rencosplay/alu.jpg) it is after I cut + colored it. (My camera gave everything a strange, yellow tint but the color of the wig is pretty accurate.)

Different wigs have different fiber qualities but you might as well try it! At the absolute worst, the color won't stick and you'll have to try another method. But it worked for me so go for it!

starcat
10-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Has anyone tried dyeing extensions to match an existing wig? Is it really hard?

The wig color I have doesn't come in Kanekalon extensions, so I'm probably going to have to dye some white ones.

It's a light purple, luckily, but I'm a bit afraid of messing it up, as I've already screwed up one set of extensions simply by ordering the wrong color. The cost adds up, especially when you have to pay a lot for shipping. ><

EDIT: I'm probably going to have to use lots of product to style the extensions. If I can't use hairspray, what can I use? Or could I intentionally dye the extensions darker, knowing the hairspray will leach some of the dye out?

ShiNo_Usagi
10-08-2006, 01:57 PM
I saw that black shinigami mentioned in order to get complete coverage of the wig to soak it in a tray.

I just was curious as to why it's always said to use a squirt bottle? it'd think it'd be easier to soak a wig to be sure u got it all, unless you're doing more than one color.

Is it better to use a squirt bottle, and bad to let it soak?

FE Freak
10-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks Bakura,so how would i go about applying this stuff? I have no prior wig experience.

Bazzk
10-29-2006, 08:04 PM
I dyed my Rydia wig (it used to be white! the extensions were white and platinum) with Copic marker refills diluted with rubbing alcohol. The wig goes halfway down my back, and I only needed 1 refill (diluted) to dye it all! I got a few different shades of green, diluted at different strengths, to do the extensions. So my wig is like 10 shades of green.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=413884
Copic markers are permanant illustration markers; like sharpies, but the refills made it easier to use than breaking sharpies apart. o_O Just dunked the whole wig, swished it around, and hung it up to dry. The great thing about Copic markers is that they come in like every freaking color under the sun, and cost about $4 a pop depending on where you get them. I ordered mine online here:

BTW, I recently ran into a theater doctorate at my work whose job it is to travel around the country and style wigs for theatres. The PROFESSIONAL method used to dye synthetic wigs? .....SHARPIES. Haha!

So you used a bucket or something? You didn't spray the mixture on? (I own some copic markers and I have lots of refills.)

Ludger03
10-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks Bakura,so how would i go about applying this stuff? I have no prior wig experience.

use one of those spray bottles the ones they sell at hair supply or get a bucket and soak the wig to it. tho i like spraying it becuase you can get a comb and comb the wig as your aplying the color to the wig.

FE Freak
10-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks but one more question before i go,i cant order the dye off the net,and at my local hobby store they only have the primary colors,so is there some kind of coloring chart i could use to make black and green, with red yellow and blue ?

Ludger03
10-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks but one more question before i go,i cant order the dye off the net,and at my local hobby store they only have the primary colors,so is there some kind of coloring chart i could use to make black and green, with red yellow and blue ?

hmm well you know blue and yellow make green. maybe add a drop of red? not sure. i dont know what color makes black and im sorry if you can;t order the colors.

is there any art stores in your area? you get much better chance there to find this colors.

Rain Miko
10-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Yellow + Blue = Green, so you have your first one down.

As for black, I wouldn't try mixing it. You're better off finding a place that carries it. Because black is so dark, it may have undertones of the colours you use to make it with. That, or it'll just come out as very dark purple.

Edit: Aww, YamiBakura03 beat me to it =]

Ludger03
10-30-2006, 09:07 PM

As for black, I wouldn't try mixing it. You're better off finding a place that carries it. Because black is so dark, it may have undertones of the colours you use to make it with. That, or it'll just come out as very dark purple.

Edit: Aww, YamiBakura03 beat me to it =]

im sorry ^^"". yeah i i mean black is well hard...and yeah he better luck in finding the black itself while he uses other colors to mix for green.

FE Freak
10-30-2006, 09:23 PM
is there any art stores in your area? you get much better chance there to find this colors.

As far as i know,no.

Thanks i forgot about what colors mixed with what,whoops.And yes i have heard about the undertone thing with Sharpies too,didnt think it'd do the same with FW,thanks for the heads-up.

eugenides
11-03-2006, 02:10 AM
So...which technique is better, this way, or Sharpies/Copics?

Will either of them come off on your costume? Mine has a higher collar, and I'm concerned about it getting color damaged by the wig.

Has this stained the skin top on anyone's wig?

Ludger03
11-03-2006, 05:32 PM
So...which technique is better, this way, or Sharpies/Copics?

Will either of them come off on your costume? Mine has a higher collar, and I'm concerned about it getting color damaged by the wig.

Has this stained the skin top on anyone's wig?

well depends really. i mean if you wash all the excess from the wig dye. there wont be any staining. and im not sure on the copics. i only used sharpies.

but FW is much easier since you can buy the color and just mix them easiyl then using a sharpie.

starcat
11-05-2006, 07:20 PM
A word of caution about Prussian Blue FW ink

This stuff is BLUE. Seriously blue. If you're using it to mix with another color, use less than you think you'll need. I added one squeeze and had to add about twenty (total, not each) of purple, white, and gray to get just a blue tinge on my practice sample! The next time, I used ten drops and got the perfect color.

A little bit of PB goes a loooooong way. (I did learn that it makes some beautiful shades, though, especially when mixed with purple lake!)

marvelgirl
11-07-2006, 08:25 PM
wow this is all so informative.
i was just wondering if you guys think it would be easier to find this style of wig and dye it to make this color or if anyone might know were i could find the wig. i didnt think it would be hard to find this color and style but i am just having no luck.
if i have to dye it would i use a grey ink or a black ink??
oh one more thing
is this dyeing process permanent on the wig?

attached is the hairstyle i am trying to acheive any suggestions would be EXTREMELY apperciated
thanks ^_^

teafunnyx3
11-07-2006, 09:02 PM
in my opinion i think it would be easier to fina the same style wig but in white and maybe you can tint it with silver or gray (if they make the color) and yes it is permanent unless you wash the wig in alchol.

marvelgirl
11-07-2006, 09:07 PM
would you wash it in the same kind of alcohol you used to make the dye?

starcat
11-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Yes, you'd use the same kind of alcohol. They do make grey(Cool Grey is the color, I believe), and it should work just right for that character. You might want to mix it with a little blue (but as I noted, NOT Prussian Blue unless you added one drop or something) to get it that right color.

marvelgirl
11-07-2006, 09:32 PM
awsome, see i found a pretty good wig on cosworx but totally wrong colors, so i'm thinking about dyeing it (odviously otherwise i wouldnt be in this thread) yay!
if i buy the platinum blonde would that work as a good base color?

Bunnie-Fu
11-08-2006, 03:38 PM
oh wow this is neat! i was planning to dye one of my wigs because it wasnt dark enough..and i kinda spent a small fortune on it! so will this method work for dying a bright blue wig to a deeper darker blue?? or would the sharpie method work....if so...what exactly is the sharpie method?? i can't seem to find the thread.

thanks!

Ludger03
11-08-2006, 07:47 PM
oh wow this is neat! i was planning to dye one of my wigs because it wasnt dark enough..and i kinda spent a small fortune on it! so will this method work for dying a bright blue wig to a deeper darker blue?? or would the sharpie method work....if so...what exactly is the sharpie method?? i can't seem to find the thread.

thanks!

Hai! If your going to color your bright blue wig darker yes it will work. Just use a blue color and make sure to test first to get the color you want before applying it to the wig.

starcat: Thanks for the info! I havent use prussian blue but will have that in mind if i need some.

marvelgirl
11-09-2006, 09:53 AM
which method you all prefer sharpie or FW? is one better for some things than the other?
i havent tried either method but i really really want to =P

teafunnyx3
11-09-2006, 04:55 PM
i would say the FW one is better if your going to dye the whole wig because it would cost less and you wouldn't have to buy so many sharpies to get ink, but if your just going to highlight the wig i think the sharpie one is better

Naxul
11-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Oh wow- this is a great method. I can't wait to try it =]

One question to those who have done this; Could this method work if you were to do just the roots? I know it seems a little bit out there but I need the roots lightly done for one of my wigs.

Thankies sooooo much in advice :toothy:

Stupid2Care
11-12-2006, 04:06 AM
Does anyone have experience working with process magenta? Specifically, would it work for achieving this (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/jsimmonsUNL/colorsample.jpg) color?

starcat
11-12-2006, 02:49 PM
You could probably find that color in a wig or extensions with no need for dyeing it. What are you trying to make?

Stupid2Care
11-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Well I actually already bought wig in snow white because our local costume shop had a huge post-halloween sale (I got a wig that it is $35 normally for $13!) and the cut was exactly right. I am actually using it for a Stephanie from Lazytown cosplay.

kitti-chan
11-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Oh wow- this is a great method. I can't wait to try it =]

One question to those who have done this; Could this method work if you were to do just the roots? I know it seems a little bit out there but I need the roots lightly done for one of my wigs.

Thankies sooooo much in advice :toothy:

If you spray just at the roots and dont comb it through I dont see why it wouldnt.

starcat
11-12-2006, 03:29 PM
I thought that color looked familiar! I haven't used process magenta, but it really seems like that would be the right color. Good luck with the wig.

MissDragonblade
11-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Well I actually already bought wig in snow white because our local costume shop had a huge post-halloween sale (I got a wig that it is $35 normally for $13!) and the cut was exactly right. I am actually using it for a Stephanie from Lazytown cosplay.
=0 woah. That's exactly what I'm doing. xD I came looking to see a good way to darken my pink wig for the exact same reason/character. xD That's amazing! :rockon: Lazytown rock out. <333

edit- if my wig is a light shade of pink (as opposed to white), how much should I dilute it to achieve the color pink that Stupid2Care has put up before me @_@;

Stupid2Care
11-14-2006, 08:48 PM
OOOOH! We have to share pictures!

MissDragonblade
11-15-2006, 05:28 PM
=D Totally! I'm wearing Steph to the last day of Anime USA this weekend so there should be somthing up soon ^_^

Nelicquele
11-17-2006, 05:21 PM
what color/colors should i used to achieve this type of green?
:
http://www.absoluteanime.com/wolfs_rain/harmona.jpg

Stupid2Care
11-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Should you be able to see the color before it dries? I made the mixture as you describe and sprayed it on but it just looks like the same wig only wet. Will the color show up later?

benihime
11-18-2006, 04:52 PM
im so excited i found this. i'd been having a hard time finding wigs for my nell (bleach) cosplay and my older hinata (naruto) cosplay. but with this i'll probably be able to get the colors i wanted. thanks so much <3

phantomthief
11-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Hello ^_______^

I was wondering if anyone else has tried the Purple Lake color...
My Dark Mousy wig is already purple, but a medium/light purple -_-;;;

Any chance the ink dye would make it dark enough? I'd rather not try to mix it with black as it seems to mute the color a bit...
Otherwise I'm off to the sharpies X3

What I have now...
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=571896
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=571258

What I'm looking for...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/Ari-chan/feder_32.jpg

THANKS!!!

~Ari-chan

starcat
11-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Purple Lake is a pink-toned purple, but that wig leans more towards indigo or blue. You should be able to get the right tone using Purple Lake, but test a swatch first. :)

Ludger03
11-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Should you be able to see the color before it dries? I made the mixture as you describe and sprayed it on but it just looks like the same wig only wet. Will the color show up later?

Did you wash the wig? If you did you should noticed the different color of the wig when it dries.
but be sure to wash it till the excessive is gone or when the water turns clear.

benihime
11-27-2006, 11:13 PM
er i tried this on an extension and the color came out fine (i'd had to do a few more coats because there's too much blonde) but its reallllly clumpy ... well not clumpy just hard. it felt like i put wayyyyyy to much hairspray on. should i condition it? would that work? i left it outside for over 8 hours.. does that matter?

oh i think i might have put too much ink? but i tried it with the what is it 8 drops and it was too watery and the ink didn't stick on at all. i am using a different type of ink though because the store i went to (hobby lobby) didn't have that exact ink. its called Bombay Ink. :X im severely confused

starcat
11-28-2006, 12:29 PM
1. Multiple "coats" will make stuff harder, because you're putting more ink onto it.

2. Results are going to be different with different ink. You are much, much better off mail-ordering the real FW Ink over the internet from DickBlick.com. It's reliable and reccommended by many people in this thread, myself included.

3. Don't forget to rinse it. This helps get rid of the hard feeling, but the texture will probably still be weird if you put too much ink on it. (Like it likes to stick to itself.) If you've already done this and it's still hard, I guess you put WAY too much ink on there.

Leaving it outside shouldn't matter much, I've left mine out all day. My suggestion to you is to buy the FW ink, and follow the eight-drops-to-one-cup-of-70%. :)

chisainekocat
11-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Does anybody know which colors are metallic and which aren't? I want to avoid the metallic ones because I know those metallic flakes can cause a lot of trouble.

benihime
11-28-2006, 06:43 PM
well i dont think its the ink im thinking i put too much on... so uh im confused still... is it supposed to be watery? and do you mix the colors in the spray bottle or when you're sprayign it on the wig?

Ludger03
11-28-2006, 11:39 PM
The common metalics are gold and silver. dont think there are other types of metallic paint.

chisainekocat
11-29-2006, 12:13 AM
Thank you!

starcat
11-29-2006, 02:04 AM
It could very well be the ink: Bombay probably uses a slightly different binder for the pigments (sorry, don't know the technical term, but it's the liquid the pigment's in) than FW. Yes, it's watery, but it shouldn't be see-through. I'm not sure how you'd mix it while spraying it on the wig. o_O Yes. You put the alcohol in the spray bottle, add your ink, put the top on, mix it up, and you've got dye. At least, that's what I did, and it worked for me.

benihime
11-30-2006, 12:58 AM
i think i got it working now! i had to brush it SEVERAL times but i think it works. im just dreading doing a whole wig :X

ArtsyFartsy
12-01-2006, 03:55 AM
Okay so I read the first 2 or 3 pages which I found to be QUITE informational. And my thanks. It's wonderful to know that there's a cheaper way to getting the perfect color of wig. I do however have a question (my appologies if this has been asked before ad answered, I'd appreciate it if I were to be pointed to the page in which they are posted) For darker colored wigs (like a royal blue, etc.) The colors are very rich and dark. Now I was curious if that can be accomplished in one dye session using this method, or if it had to be repeated a specific amount of times?

Also I'm not sure if this had been mentioned, but I was reading the posts about ink toxicity and precautions and I hadn't read (from the few pages I did read) specific precautions that are idea to take specifically when dying a wig. Being an artist I've experimented with number types of art mediums and when it comes to things with alcohol bases especially sprays of the sorts, working out doors is best since it offers the best possible type of ventilation. Always remember it helps to be down-wind from where you're spraying. I airbrush on metals and automobiles sometimes and I actually have a gas mask which filters the air I take in from gaseous toxins and whatnot. It's quite expensive, so a cheaper and almost just as effective way would be to wear a dust mask. This'll prevent breathing in the fumes, or at least cut back on them. Also wearing light construction glasses (plastic) are a greate way to avoid potentially getting the ink or the vapour into your eyes.

Furthermore, I noticed a comment about soaking hands in potentially toxic inks for a few hours, I realize this was a joke, but some people really do that. If you've ever dyed your own real hair (or someone elses) you'll know that you are required to wear latex gloves. The same precaution should be taken when dying wigs. The same latex gloves supplied in regular dye and coloring kits can be picked up in boxes at your local grocery store or even places like Canadian Tire (if you live in Canada - I know they have them since I used to work there haha! - normally found in the cleaner aisle with the rubber dish gloves, if not check the paint section) Just some ideas as to protecting yourself in case there are harmful toxins present.

starcat
12-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Always remember it helps to be down-wind from where you're spraying.

This is a good idea not only because of the possiblity of fumes and toxic things getting in your face, but because otherwise, everything you're wearing will be colored with little itty bitty dots of what you're spraying, especially if you wear glasses. It's not really very noticeable, at least not with light purple, but you may have darker dye than I did. (I've got to get some alcohol and clean off my pretty black shoes someday...)

It sounds like common sense, but when you're trying to get every part dyed, it's easy to forget. XD;;

ArtsyFartsy
12-01-2006, 02:25 PM
This is a good idea not only because of the possiblity of fumes and toxic things getting in your face, but because otherwise, everything you're wearing will be colored with little itty bitty dots of what you're spraying, especially if you wear glasses. It's not really very noticeable, at least not with light purple, but you may have darker dye than I did. (I've got to get some alcohol and clean off my pretty black shoes someday...)

It sounds like common sense, but when you're trying to get every part dyed, it's easy to forget. XD;;haha! Yeah I made that mistake before, ecxpet it wasn't wig dye I was using. It was rust paint made for vehicles. I was airbrushing a coat over the rust spots on my car and yah, I'm was lucky I was wearing old clothes and the proper protection against the toxins and fumes in that type of paint (definately NOT the kind of paint to use for wig dying, highly toxic stuff and it's pigment is highly concentrated - plus it wouldn't really "dye" a wig, it'd just ctreate a layer of paint overtop the fibres and clump them together unwantedly, can you say disaster? O.o )

Stupid2Care
12-06-2006, 04:37 AM
Ok so I have completed my first attempt at dying my wig for Stephanie. I used 8 drops of process magenta and one cup of 70% alcohol. I think the color turned out pretty but it isn't what I was going for. Next I'm going to try 5-6 drops of process magenta with 2-3 drops of purple lake and one cup of 70% alcohol.

Here some shots of process magenta on a white wig.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=932463
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=932464
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=932620

chisainekocat
12-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Wow, it came out great!

starcat
12-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Wow, it came out great!

That is a pretty color. :) I agree, though, it's not quite the color for Stephanie. Purple lake might not be the color you need to balance it, though...but it's certainly worth a try.

MissDragonblade
12-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Ok so I have completed my first attempt at dying my wig for Stephanie. I used 8 drops of process magenta and one cup of 70% alcohol. I think the color turned out pretty but it isn't what I was going for. Next I'm going to try 5-6 drops of process magenta with 2-3 drops of purple lake and one cup of 70% alcohol.

Here some shots of process magenta on a white wig.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=932463
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=932464
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=932620
Cute cute! Although it's not Stephanie-y, it looks like the colour my Steph wig started out as. I ended up using the sharpie wig dye method to tint the wig, (w/ the innards of 3 bright magenta sharpies) and it turned out perfect. xD just another method, if you were curious. Anyway, glad that the method worked out for ya ^^

Stupid2Care
12-06-2006, 08:37 PM
That is a pretty color. :) I agree, though, it's not quite the color for Stephanie. Purple lake might not be the color you need to balance it, though...but it's certainly worth a try.

Would you reccomend something other than purple lake? I thought maybe purple lake would be good because it is a pink based purple (or so I have heard) so I thought it might help keep it from turning too purple. Suggestions are definitely welcomed! Thanks!

WARPAINTandUnicorns
12-06-2006, 09:19 PM
For those who were speculating before about using Tria Marker ink here’s my experiment with it.
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=97061

As for my question I want to work on a Monica wig in 2008 (so I have time)
http://www.christiananswers.net/spotlight/games/2004/dc2b.jpg
http://www.gamecritics.com/feature/artgallery/darkcloud2/art04.jpg
I was planning on buying a neon pink wig and a lot of extension for the base colour since the clown red might be to strong a base colour.
As for ink FW colours I’ll need at lest magenta and red but it’s still not quite the right combination, dose anyone else have an idea on what colours to add ?

This was my original post of the question and others.
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=97208

starcat
12-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Would you reccomend something other than purple lake? I thought maybe purple lake would be good because it is a pink based purple (or so I have heard) so I thought it might help keep it from turning too purple. Suggestions are definitely welcomed! Thanks!

it is most DEFINITELY a pink-based purple. I'm just not entirely sure if it is the only color you need. Maybe a combination of red, magenta, and purple would work.

NayruAsukei
12-09-2006, 08:47 PM
This is awesome! I'll probably try this out to darken the base of my Axel wig.

GenrŰmaŰken
12-10-2006, 05:25 PM
First of all I want to thank Honey Bunny for starting this amazingly helpful thread !!!
I need an extremely long purple wig for my next cosplay, and I couldn't find it anywhere… So now I bought a 60 inch white one that I can dye ^__^

Now the problem lies with me living in Belgium where I don’t seem to find FW acrylic ink, so I’ll have to order online. I’ve read in the beginning of the thread that you can paint 4 long wigs with one bottle of ink, so I think 1 bottle will do for my 60 inch wig. Has anyone tried it already with this length? Because if I have to order more ink afterwards I’ll have to pay 2 times the shipping costs to Belgium which is rather expensive :o( It has to look like the purple wig in the very beginning of this thread.

My second problem is that the wig will tangle completely if I wear it. I’ve read somewhere (I don’t remember if it was in this thread or not, I’m very sorry *^__^*) that you can use oil sheen to handle this problem, but can this also be used on a painted wig?

kitti-chan
12-11-2006, 02:01 AM
when I dyed my lumie wig i Barely used 10 drops of ink and I still have tons left over so one bottle should do ou fine. Dickblick.com carries fw ink but im not sure if they ship overseas.....

GenrŰmaŰken
12-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Your lumie wig is exactly the color I need, so 1 bottle will certainly be enough ^__^ Thank you very much kitti-chan !!!
I had a look at the dickblick website and it looks like they ship overseas, but it will cost me a lot (much more than the bottle of ink itself) So I went looking for dealers closer to Belgium and I found 1 in the UK. I asked them for the shipping costs, so now it's waiting till they reply... But I think it will be a little cheaper. And otherwise I'll have a dickblick backup plan XD

I also had a look on the list of ingredients on an oil sheen bottle and as far as I understand there's no alcohol in it, so I'm going to try it on a piece of my wig when it's finished (if I ever manage to get the ink here ^__-)
I'll post the results as soon as I'm finished!

Aleathia Burns
12-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Thank you HoneyBunny for posting this thread. I have been trying to find a Sakura wig for a Sakura Taisen a.k.a Sakura Wars cosplay. Here is a pic of her hair color and I was wondering what color ink should I use for it. Should I use a white wig as the base or a dark blue or purple wig? I really felt that a black wig would not bring this cosplay out to much and if there was a way to create the color for her then I am glad that I found this thread.

starcat
12-11-2006, 05:11 PM
If you use a blue wig and make it darker, there's less of a chance of oversaturating the wig fiber. :) That's my suggestion.

Aleathia Burns
12-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Thank you. I have a blue wig that I have used in the past and I can use it as a test wig. What color should I use the Indigo or the Rowney Blue?

Tenya Muyo
12-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Alright, finally finished reading this thread (the WHOLE thing), and this does seem like a great method for coloring wigs. I was just curious, however; has anyone here tried this method with another brand of acrylic ink besides FW? I'm just hoping there's a cheaper alternative at me local stores to mess with before i go ordering the FW ink (I've been all over my section of north Texas, and haven't found a hint of FW anywhere! -____-;). Any advice is welcome, and thanks to all for you contribution! <3