PDA

View Full Version : Is it shameful to be "original" Chii?

PinkCow
04-12-2005, 07:59 AM
First off, I'm hoping this is the right forum, but I'm terrible at figuring out where to put things. I thought maybe it went in general cosplay, but since it's specific to an anime character, I put it here.

Anyhow, I've seen a lot of people cosplay "original" versions of Chii from Chobits, such as a detailed Lolita-style costume or some such other thing. And I was just wondering, is that considered "shameful" or anything? Are there specifics for original Chii costumes? Or is it just better to go as a "real" Chii?

Information is appreciated!

Mystic Blossom
04-12-2005, 08:08 AM
There is little to no "shame" in the land of cosplay. I personally prefer actual Chii's because it's much more difficult to take a 2-d image and make it 3-d, then it is to get the wig and ears, wear a dress, and call yourself Chii. However, I have seen a few original Chii's which were very, very good. I guess the bottom line is that I prefer to see some effort, that is, if you really want to do an original Chii, then at least put a lot of effort into making it look nice.

broken water
04-12-2005, 09:29 AM
Are you kidding me shameful?!? No worries, originals are awesome! Just look at limebarbs work http://limebarb.com/cosplay/gallery/chii.htm
Let your imagination be your guide, I am sure your work will be awesome.
THe only specifics you would need would be the chobits ears, and her hair, blonde or really light grey..depending on which version you want to do..anime or manga.

PinkCow
04-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Thank you very much--both of you! So it seems that if I were to create a very vivid, detailed original Chii, that still fell into the same style as those costumes that already exist for her, then that would be good?

Clueless Case
04-12-2005, 03:54 PM
You can make chi ne thing you want her to be even if it means dressing her up in a pickle suit. I think the problem people have with orginal designs of chi is that lots of people put on some prom dress and slap persocom ears on them. AS long as it looks like you dedicated more than throwing a dress or skirt on, it's ok.

PinkCow
04-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Pickle suit. *lol* Not a bad idea! ^^;;;

Seriously, though, I was thinking about designing my own Chii costume that's influenced by (but not based entirely on) Lolita styles. Something detailed and most definately not a prom dress... or a pickle suit.

OtakuLuLu
04-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Sorry, i just dont get it. what do you mean by "oringinal" chi?...Im a chobits FREAK, so i should know what your talking about...but i dont. V.V

livvylove
04-12-2005, 05:05 PM
She means an original design Lulu. I don't see a problem. Chii has so many outfits that not everyone would know that it wasn't something clamp designed if you plan on putting all the work to do clamp style detail. It comes down to the amount of detail.

nekoshojo
04-12-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm a chobits freak too. There is absolutely no shame in going as chii. My sister and I (despite our 5 yr age difference) are going as Freya and Elda. I am using, as one said earlier, an old prom dress. Her gown (since she's not been to prom) is an old bride's maid dress. Perfection at a steal. Nope no shame...only pure joy!!!!!!

Eidolon Bird
04-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Why be Chii? Pick a wildly different colored wig and do an original persocom outfit. I believe it was Firefly Path that used to have pictures of an electric blue wig with blue and black ears. Something like that would catch and hold my attention much better than yet another Chii knock-off.

Apsara
04-12-2005, 11:10 PM
I think it would get more...admiration...if you went as one that is in the book, artbook, anime or manga somewhere. Even if only you know it's there, you also know that it's a faithful copy. After all, anyone can make a good looking Lolita-type outfit. How many, however, can make a good looking Chii outfit? (Because despite the many Chi's out there, there are only a very, very few who's outfits are accurate.) Everyone can, of course, but not everyone wants to take the time and if you took that time, even if only you know about it, it'll get more...attention.

Sure, that limebarb outfit is stunning (and in my honest opinion, looks...weird.) with details in areas where there isn't supposed to be and completely bare where there IS supposed to be details. My first impression of it was a mess of frilly pink fabric. That pink also does not look very good with the cosplayer. Or maybe that's just the lighting.

And those who do recognize that very rare outfit, if you chose to do it, will admire you even more. You simply won't get that type of respect if you go as an "original" chi. You'll get oohs and aaws and wows, but it's just not the same as saying with pride that it's as close a copy as this costume in that book and this how I made it to look like that.

Apsara

Chibi Ice Wolf
04-13-2005, 12:27 AM
I think it's just fine! Cosplay is about having fun, and if being original Chii is good for you than do it! It seems you are worried about what others will think - I think most people do to a degree whether we admit it or not. I agree that for others to think well of your costume it should be well thought out and designed or be an accurate recreation. But the most important thing is that YOU like your costume! ^,^

PinkCow
04-13-2005, 06:54 AM
I was considering doing a completely original Persocom costume, but somehow I thought that would be frowned upon even more. It seems that there are a lot of differing opinions on the idea of an original Chii! But thanks to all of you for the info, and all of your opinions are helping me to sort out just what I want to do for this cosplay.

I was, at one time, in the process of creating a lovely blue Lolita-style dress. It's not so far along that I couldn't change it around still, and I wonder if Chii has a mostly-blue costume that I could change it into? If not, then I may still go for the original Chii costume. But a completely original Persocom costume could be anything, not just Lolita-style, so that may be something that I am contemplating too. ^^

Keep the opinions coming! I really appreciate it. ^^

Shania_Nowhere
04-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Cosplaying is all about being original, every cosplayer puts their own style into what they make and not every costume looks like the original. It would be kinda boring if all you ever did was copy the exact designs of characters! I've seen pretty cool original designs of anime characters, like faerie Trowa Barton...that was interesting, very interesting...>.>

Mistress_Aine
04-13-2005, 10:38 AM
I think doing an original Chi would be fantastic. It would give it something new. We see the same Chi's every convention and having something original gives us something new to look at so we arent getting bored. Go for it. Just put effort into it.

Apsara
04-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Actually, I vote for an original persocom! Something that looks like it could come from the anime with its own fashion sense and style. Don't do lolita dresses for it though...unless it's from the same 'line' or 'dress style' as Chii. Do they have base models? Probably not. ^__^

I saw an original persocom secretary with ears like a rabbit's and her hair coloring was the same as those soft dark brown bunnies. She was a great persocom because her costume was tailored to her though she didn't exactly make them. She added kinky strips of PVC in complimenting colors to her costume too to make it even more distinct and looked as though she could have come straight from the anime. It was very cute.

An original male persocom would rock. But please, please, please do not put on Chii's 'ears' and call it an original persocom. All persocoms have different 'ears' or whatever those things are called.

Apsara

PinkCow
04-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Does anyone happen to have any pictures of some of the more "random" Persocoms from the show? I'm thinking that I may do one of each--a Chii and an original.

anime_firelight
04-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Does anyone happen to have any pictures of some of the more "random" Persocoms from the show? I'm thinking that I may do one of each--a Chii and an original.

You can make your own design for the ears! Don't be afraid to dish out that creativity! ^-^

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/xDirxEnxGreyx/194f7f4a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/xDirxEnxGreyx/af8385b4.jpg

For example... a black and white outfit for the persocom and coordinate it with black and white ears. The "ears" don't need to be like Chi's ears. It might even be cuter to see teddy bear or panda bear ears xD. It's all up to you and how far you want to take it! Good luck on that :bigtu:

PinkCow
04-14-2005, 06:42 AM
Thank you for the pictures! I really like the idea of an original Persocom character. But I don't want to give up on Chii just yet! I recently went to a Goodwill-type store in my town and found a really great black dress that I could convert (it's already rather unique, however). I'm wondering if I can change it into the dress that Chii wears which belongs to Yumi near the end of the series. I'm very bad at sewing from scratch, but when I can convert things it turns out pretty well. ^^