PDA

View Full Version : SDCC 2005 First Time Masquerade! Advice Please!

Yuna Summoner
04-14-2005, 10:34 AM
Hello all!

So, I went to SDCC last year, but I felt too intimidated to enter or even attend The Masquerade…yeah, stupid, I know.

I just downloaded the rules for this year, and I’ve decided to do an Amano costume from Final Fantasy III that I haven’t seen anyone do as of now.

My question is:

How do I prepare for such an event? I am really anxious about it and would like to be at least somewhat familiar with the event before I walk on stage.

Also, would anyone be interested in doing an Amano group with me? Or, is it better that I walk alone?

So will someone please be my mentor??? ^_^

From Sarah

Dany
04-14-2005, 12:49 PM
*raises hand* As the near-middle entry at last year's event (Mina from LXG), I can tell you a few things.

First, get your entry info in early. San Diego's masquerade fills up fast, so the sooner you're in, the better. I sent my stuff up in late May and I felt as if I was later than I wanted to be! You already have the rules, so studying those over isn't a bad idea.

San Diego's masquerade is a big crowd. They filled the room they run it in, and as a result, they end up broadcasting it in the Sails Pavillion as well, so a lot of people will see you. But don't worry! You really can't see more than a couple rows in the time you are up there. Some would say it's also a difficult crowd, but that's what happens when you get a bunch of comic people with short attention spans in a room :)

( I say this lovingly, of course :) )

Most of your typical pre-masquerade advice is going to apply: rehearse a lot, treat yourself well (which means eating and keeping hydrated), and above all, enjoy yourself. It's supposed to be fun! Also, Martin, the guy who runs the Masquerade, is a great guy and will answer any questions you have. I had a lot of email going back and forth with him before last year, and he was very gracious with everything I threw at him.

All goes well, I should be attending this year, and might even enter if I feel really ambitious...though as what I don't know. You caught my ears with the Amano thing, but sadly, my Amano costume isn't Final Fantasy :(

I could go on all day about what I did last year, but I'll just say ask whatever comes to mind. Some things that saved my butt, though:

-Keep all of your paperwork together. There will be some of it that you will have to fill out there, though I'm plugging Martin to have those forms available online to expedite things :) Hand it all in together with your music and documentation (for a recreated costume, documentation=good!!!)...I found that keeping it all in one envelope, perhaps listing the contents, kept people from losing my music (though it ended up in the judge's hands *snicker*)

-Go to the Saturday morning meeting, and get yourself rehearsal time on the mockup stage. It'll help, trust me. Not only do you get important info on check in, etc, you also get to talk over technical aspects of your presentation..say if you want to do something with lighting or MC dialog or whatever.

-Arrive early. Early is always better than late. Accomodate for travel between the Con and the hotel (because as you are aware, travel is stinky when 80k+ people want in one little space).

Hope that helps a little. :)

Eurobeat King
04-30-2005, 11:34 AM
YunaSummoner: It was sooo nice meeting you last year Sarah, and you made a reallly pretty Celes! :) I wish you luck this year entering the masquerade, and I'll besure to cheer for you (and also for Dany and anyone else I know who's entering) from the press-area for photographers after the contestants walk off the big stage. :) Last year I almost entered the masquerade myself (wanted to do a walk-on with my Initial D car) but backed-out near the end due to time & rental-car costs. But I didn't mind, as it allowed my friends to have a chance to perform their skit, since they couldn't register in time but my cancellation opened up a spot for them. :D

Good luck this year, and hopefully I'll see you sometime during SDCC like during the FF gathering!

Yuna Summoner
05-04-2005, 07:53 AM
Thanks guys!

Eurobeat King: It was way nice meeting you too! Sorry I was so shy! ^_^
I'm hoping I can pull this off in time...July doesn't seem very far off, does it?

Dany
05-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Nope, it doesn't :(

Hopefully you'll see me there. I'm still working that little tidbit out at the moment, but I want to be there...

AnimeGamer
05-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Well, I don't get to post here very often (maybe because i'm not a cosplayer? :thumbsup: ) but if there is thing I do know, I know how the SDCC audience reacts pretty fairly accurately now. I've been attending the con since '95 but didn't get to go watch the masquarade until 2002 (IMO, the best masquarade I have seen at SDCC so far.) Then again, I think the no play fight rule came into effect after that con, so it really dampered the overall entertainment of the masquarade itself.

From what I have seen as a audience member, there are some key points:

1) At least look decent - Try taking a photo of yourself in costume. If you get negitive feedback from the photo, what makes you think that you wont get booed on stage?

2) Be entertaining - This is VERY key. I mean, even if you might be the most prettiest person in the con but if you don't do anything the people might start booing within 15 seconds. A great example of this is the great "Fairy's Court" cosplay from last year. They had awesome costumes and the people were very pretty, but then audience members reined in jokes like "Ambercomdie & Fairy" and such. Why? They stood there and posed for more then half-a-minute.

On the other hand, I remember being front row in 2003, and myself and some friends of mine were booing this one guy who was dressed like a barbarian or something. What made him stand out was that he moved to where we were, looked at us, and gave us this menacing roar right at us. Granted, we were clapping after that, and the audience shifted to be more positive after that. If he just left, everyone would've just kept booing, but he did something and it changed that perception.

Of course, it also depends on who you are. There are always the idiots who will be chanting for this year's "Beast Boy."

3) Don't be scared - If you're scared, it's going to show big time. Don't let us audience people intimidate you, just because we are booing (or asking you to show skin, flex muscles, play-fight, etc.) don't think you're a failure. You just failed to entertain the audience, that's all.

4) Be unique - Want to be remembered? Be unique. Even if you're cosplaying a character who's been cosplayed to death (like Yuna), if you do something that is unique you'll stand out. Even looking very cute or very beautiful might affect the audience in some matter, and this all ties in to point 2.

I think the big thing that is happening with the audience is that it's not really nerds in the audience anymore. There are some frat boys and idiots who you would find across the street yelling at the umpire at PETCO Park and causing a ruckus showing up to this event now. Personally I don't like how that is happening, but it is.

I also don't mean to be harsh to the above mentioned people. It's just that I'm being a Simon Cowell (that dude from American Idol). Then again, don't ever think that the SDCC audience will get nicer any time soon. It's a rowdy bunch, and some returning audience members thrive on that fact.

But please, enjoy cosplaying first, and I hope to see you all do well at this year's Masquarade (I ensured my seat/legs already. :razz: )

Dany
05-08-2005, 12:51 PM
I still find it funny that some dingbat thought I was Mary Poppins last year. *snicker* I think he showed up to WonderCon this year, because when I was wearing Mina I heard the same voice make the same comment.

Heh. Dork. :)

Yuna Summoner
05-09-2005, 08:39 AM
Okay, that sounds like some awesome advice, however, I still have a question.

My costume is the beautiful-show-some-skin type, so how do I entertain an audience?? Twirl? I'm imagining myself twirling on stage and I can't help but laugh.

Rogue Marvel
05-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Oh Dany! I remember your Mina costume (I was the girl backstage helping people off the photo stage) it was very lovely.

This year will be my frist time in the comic con masqurade. I've seen it twice and helped out backstage last year but this will be my first time in it. Luckly I will be in a large group of people many who are experenced with the masqurade but I'm still a little freaked out...especally since I will be wearing very little and this masqurade is huge.

should be fun!

grandis
05-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Yna:

I'm a great believer in the pose, pose, pose, get off.

Do a cuople of nice poses in your suit. Twirl if you want! Have some music! Block out your moves on stage during rehearsal, and just have fun!

May I add that the best thing is just hanging out with other costumers back stage? Tha's why I'm doing it after all.

So, I hope to see you. I'll be the Golden Age Wonder Woman, if all goes well.

Grandis

Dany
05-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Oh Dany! I remember your Mina costume (I was the girl backstage helping people off the photo stage) it was very lovely.

Thank you :) I think I remember your face...though I will admit to a little bit of masquerade fog...I'm surprised I remember anything of that event...other than it was good.

This year, I should be far better.

BlueLady
05-09-2005, 09:04 PM
as someone who has worked CCmasque~ be ready, be on time and double check for all the little costume bits and peices BEFORE you arrive

as someone who has and is participating~ Dont forget to have fun. Its no good if all your memories are shock and terror when looking back XD

FlameSniperRei
05-10-2005, 06:30 PM
I think everyone has very good points. The Comic Con crowd is..how can I say this, not as nice as the Anime Expo or Anime con going crowd so if you plan on being in the masquerade make sure your skit is interesting enough for a crowd that isn't all into anime and video games (some peolpe do not like Anime there ~.~;)

AnimeGamer
05-11-2005, 01:44 AM
All I say is... if you're going to pose, do what was said above.

Pose, pose, pose, leave.

Don't over-do it by staying too long. One to many poses and you're asking for it. Yet, don't go "pose, leave" because then you don't give any time for the audience or the judges to see you.

I find that self-made audio tapes of talk do not work very well (because of low quality?) while high movement (flips, punches in air, dancing, silliness) tend to work very well. Generally groups of people do much better entertainment wise then individuals, but there are exceptions.

I think of the four points I said above, executing point four is the hardest to pull off. Everyone remembers the LotR dancers (so much they made an encore last year) but forgets others.

Anyway, I really hope to see all of you there. Unless plans change for me, I'm going to be one of the volenteer security guys in the ballroom as the Masquarade is going on.

I also hope to see a "Filipino" Talim... because I'm a Pinoy who just would like to see a Pinay finally do Talim for SDCC. (I know there was one at AX last year, so here's to hoping I see one IRL at SDCC this year.) :bigtu:

Dany
05-11-2005, 11:51 AM
I find that self-made audio tapes of talk do not work very well (because of low quality?) while high movement (flips, punches in air, dancing, silliness) tend to work very well. Generally groups of people do much better entertainment wise then individuals, but there are exceptions.

The main complaints that I've heard about using pre-recorded dialog for presentation go like this:

1. The quality of the audio is bad (not loud enough, not clear, etc.).

You can work with this, but it takes time and audio editing capability. If you haven't done it before, it can be confusing at first, but once you figure it out, you can do a LOT with it, especially with digital stuff.

Goldwave is a cheap free/shareware I have heard good things about in terms of software.

1. There is too much dialog for the scene.

Pointless chatter without some sort of action (not necessarily combat, but movement at least) is going to bore the crap out of the audience. I like to think of a group of Masquerade-watchers as a bunch of kindergarteners that have to go to the bathroom. They don't want to watch people talk. They want to see costumes and characters and <i>action</i>.

A random side statement on action onstage: If you have any intent whatsoever to dance, do acrobatics, stage-fight or use a weapon, be prepared to PRACTICE. It will show if you waited until the last minute to get your moves down, whatever they are. Not to mention, if you are not normally a very active person and all the sudden you are trying to do crazy combat or dance moves, you're likely going to hurt yourself.*

* nope, not talking from any recent experience, oh no not at all *rubs sore neck!*

Neo_Serenity
06-03-2005, 01:17 AM
these are all really good tips. Thank you!

Dany
06-03-2005, 01:30 PM
An FYI to anyone considering to participate in the Masquerade this year..

If you haven't gotten your pre-reg in to the Masquerade coordinator, do it ASAP! The Masquerade books up pretty fast, and it's stressful to be on the waiting list :(

And from what I'm hearing, they're already over half-way filled....

Yuna Summoner
06-03-2005, 02:08 PM
phew! I'm glad I registered a month ago....

A J
06-15-2005, 01:34 AM
An FYI to anyone considering to participate in the Masquerade this year..

If you haven't gotten your pre-reg in to the Masquerade coordinator, do it ASAP! The Masquerade books up pretty fast, and it's stressful to be on the waiting list :(

And from what I'm hearing, they're already over half-way filled....

Oh. Bugger. Guess we should get a move on huh? ^^;

AnimeGamer called it pretty dead on. The SDCC audience is much harsher than your standard anime audience. (Makes you love the nice anime peoples.) =)

The best thing to remember is that the audience will forgive anything as long as it's short. Our general rule is unless we got some damn good reason (i.e. we think our skit kicks much butt), we better not be up there for more than 1.5 min, 2 tops. =)

Another thing to note is that the monitors on stage cut out last year and we couldn't hear our music.... which sucks when you're trying to dance. The lesson learned is: try not to depend too much on your music cause you might not be able to hear it. Of course, you're not trying to coordnate 5+ people, so it should be ok.

I'm gonna go fill out my sdcc forms now...

Dany
06-15-2005, 01:02 PM
The best thing to remember is that the audience will forgive anything as long as it's short. Our general rule is unless we got some damn good reason (i.e. we think our skit kicks much butt), we better not be up there for more than 1.5 min, 2 tops. =)

I've been making the joke lately about "if you're up there longer than I am, you're up there too long."

The reason is that in my mind, I keep pushing the 'comfort factor' for how long I want to be onstage. When I'm alone, I don't want to be up there longer than about 45 seconds. My last two masq entries have been about 55. So far however, no one has complained that I've gone too long...but in my head I know I'm pushing. :)

Thus the "Living Stage Time Limit" thing on my tag lately..

Yuna Summoner
06-16-2005, 11:06 AM
God...if I get booed, I'm so going to lose it. Don't want to cry off gobs of Amano make-up.

But I'm probably just worrying needlessly. That's what I do best. I think 45 seconds sounds good---I guess I'll just pose a few times--how large is the stage?

Dany
06-17-2005, 04:40 PM
God...if I get booed, I'm so going to lose it. Don't want to cry off gobs of Amano make-up.

Crying Amano off is bad, m'kay? :(

BlueLady
06-17-2005, 09:30 PM
did anyone get their masquerade confirmation back yet? We sent our app in forever ago and havent heard anything

kelldar
06-18-2005, 08:38 AM
I didn't get my confirmation so I emailed them, and they confirmed it for me. (He also said the masquerade is basically full now!)

BlueLady
06-18-2005, 09:20 AM
time to send some "love" to the masquerade staff in email form XD

thanks, Kell! see you there !

grandis
06-20-2005, 10:07 AM

I would. You really should have gotten it by now. I got mine almost right away.

Grandis

Wolfgirl
06-20-2005, 02:53 PM

yes i must parade myself on stage:P must find out at masquerade.

tabs did you know grandis down there has cosplayed silent mobius too:P

Wolfgirl
06-20-2005, 02:55 PM
I would. You really should have gotten it by now. I got mine almost right away.

Grandis

Hey grandis do you still have your silent mobius costumes?

I have a katsumi costume with the grosspoliner sword and all. Never entered it in the masqurade but people like to play with the sword also known as the large tenticle rape sword:P

Yuna Summoner
06-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Could anybody tell me how the Hall Cosplay stuff works at SDCC? Please excuse my ignorance.

grandis
06-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Hey grandis do you still have your silent mobius costumes?

I have a katsumi costume with the grosspoliner sword and all. Never entered it in the masqurade but people like to play with the sword also known as the large tenticle rape sword:P

I do have my Kiddy still. I won't be bringing it to SDCC, due to luggage constraints, but you know, I'd LOVE to see your Katsumi, so I hope you'll be wearing it.

Grandis

Wolfgirl
06-23-2005, 06:21 PM
Could anybody tell me how the Hall Cosplay stuff works at SDCC? Please excuse my ignorance.

you can purty much wear anything at that con. Works about the same for any con. Wear your costume around the whole con. However your props if they are guns or swords comic con now won't let people walk around with thoughs anymore. Even if they are fake.

atomic99
06-26-2005, 09:33 PM
I can't give you any tips on the costume/performance part but I'm usually one of the 50 or so photographers photographing the Masquerade contestants.

After you come off the stage, they'll guide you to the photo area. I'm guessing the mass of cameras can be a little intimidating but don't worry, we're a friendly bunch. We tend to shout out where we'd like you to stand then take pictures for about a minute or 3. Then, they'll guide you over to the video camera for a brief interview for the Comic-Con television feed. Award winners usually come out for an encore photography session. There will probably be other photographers in the hallway wanting your picture as well.

It sounds like a lot going too and, I suppose, it'll be like a blur by the end of the evening. Contestants can order a free copy of a video of the show the next day at the Masquerade review (a rebroadcast of the show on big screen), where they can pick up their music too.

And if you're wondering where you can see any of the photos those photographers take, I've been posting mine here on Cosplay, along with a few other photosgraphers, for all to see.

atomic99

atomic99
06-26-2005, 09:40 PM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot.

Any Cosplayers that don't make it into the show, feel free to swing by the Photographers area (usually in the hall on the west side of the room). While the show starts at 8pm, the photographers don't see anyone to photograph until about 8:30pm and we always love to shoot any cosplayers before the show.

Thanks!

atomic99

Wolfgirl
06-27-2005, 01:23 PM
I do have my Kiddy still. I won't be bringing it to SDCC, due to luggage constraints, but you know, I'd LOVE to see your Katsumi, so I hope you'll be wearing it.

Grandis

I'll probally be wearing that most of the convention. one of these years youll have to wear your kiddy costume. My friend cosplays lebia.

Are you going to AX?

By the way here is my katsumi costume

http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&userid=7557

BlueLady
06-27-2005, 05:48 PM
that friend needs to get unlazy and get cracking on sending the bits and peices XD

Wolfgirl
06-27-2005, 06:15 PM
that friend needs to get unlazy and get cracking on sending the bits and peices XD

*LOL* are you the whip cracker now:P but its more fun to have charliey boy whip me at ren faires :p

Dany
06-28-2005, 12:11 PM

No problem!

Actually, there is no Hall Costuming contest of any sort..but you can show up in more or less what you please. There will be plenty to see and plenty more to appreciate what you are doing.

Saturday is the biggest day of costuming, mostly because it's the slam-middle of the Con when no one is working, and the Masquerade in the evening seems to be a good spot to hang out and do photos even if you're not in it.

I've noticed that if you have a big costume that will attract attention, that it's best to stay in one spot for a while, and migrate occasionally. The dealer's room will be packed, especially on Saturday, so navigating in there can be difficult unless you're comfortable. I camped myself out in my Mina Harker costume over by the DC comics booth, right under the big hanging of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and it made for a perfect photo op without having to move much.

Hope that helps a bit!

atomic99
06-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Dany's right, Saturday is a madhouse. I try to avoid it all together and save Thursday and Sunday for shopping days in the dealer's room. Friday is almost as bad. But, there is plenty of space in the front hallways for meeting people, etc. Some of the halls will fill up Saturday as well when the big movie panels start.

I don't think the Comic-Con people want you to wear your Masquerade outfit all day long before the Masquerade (the element of surprise, I guess?). Sunday is fair game as some cosplayers return is there Saturday night costume.

atomic

Wolfgirl
06-28-2005, 03:17 PM
Dany's right, Saturday is a madhouse. I try to avoid it all together and save Thursday and Sunday for shopping days in the dealer's room. Friday is almost as bad. But, there is plenty of space in the front hallways for meeting people, etc. Some of the halls will fill up Saturday as well when the big movie panels start.

I don't think the Comic-Con people want you to wear your Masquerade outfit all day long before the Masquerade (the element of surprise, I guess?). Sunday is fair game as some cosplayers return is there Saturday night costume.

atomic

To promote disneys gargoyles and there convention. I will be dressed up as a gargoyle on sunday passing out free junk if anyones interested. Tshirts and stickers and such up by the freebie table.

I would do it earlier but I entered it in the masqurade. Yeah you cant wear the costume before the contest or they dis qualify you.

AnimeGamer
07-03-2005, 02:55 AM
you can purty much wear anything at that con. Works about the same for any con. Wear your costume around the whole con. However your props if they are guns or swords comic con now won't let people walk around with thoughs anymore. Even if they are fake.

Wow, that's a killjoy.

No more huge Vampire Hunter D swords! :waaaah:

Anyway, comic-con is in two weeks. If I wasn't working right now I'd drive up to Anahiem for AX. Oh well... that's what happens when you work at the local ballpark. (Yeah, that one. The one across the street from the convention center. And yes, I have some angry co-workers on me because i'll be at the con instead of working the four games DURING the con. So find parking EARLY, esp. Sunday.)

Oh yeah, gonna also add linky to my currently blank 2005 Comic-Con photo album to my siggy.

Wolfgirl
07-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Wow, that's a killjoy.

Anyway, comic-con is in two weeks. If I wasn't working right now I'd drive up to Anahiem for AX. Oh well... that's what happens when you work at the local ballpark. (Yeah, that one. The one across the street from the convention center. And yes, I have some angry co-workers on me because i'll be at the con instead of working the four games DURING the con. So find parking EARLY, esp. Sunday.)

Oh yeah, gonna also add linky to my currently blank 2005 Comic-Con photo album to my siggy.

awww but you have to go. :(

I think they are ok if they are large prop swords. Anime expo was the one that was overly anal about props. They peice bonded my silent mobius grosspoliner sword that um cost me over 400 dollers. Yes im gonna beat people with a 400 doller prop

Yuna Summoner
07-06-2005, 01:57 PM
I can't give you any tips on the costume/performance part but I'm usually one of the 50 or so photographers photographing the Masquerade contestants.

After you come off the stage, they'll guide you to the photo area. I'm guessing the mass of cameras can be a little intimidating but don't worry, we're a friendly bunch. We tend to shout out where we'd like you to stand then take pictures for about a minute or 3. Then, they'll guide you over to the video camera for a brief interview for the Comic-Con television feed. Award winners usually come out for an encore photography session. There will probably be other photographers in the hallway wanting your picture as well.

It sounds like a lot going too and, I suppose, it'll be like a blur by the end of the evening. Contestants can order a free copy of a video of the show the next day at the Masquerade review (a rebroadcast of the show on big screen), where they can pick up their music too.

And if you're wondering where you can see any of the photos those photographers take, I've been posting mine here on Cosplay, along with a few other photosgraphers, for all to see.

atomic99

I don't know why, but reading that made me very nervous....;_;

It's just my luck to trip and fall or worse, inadvertantly expose myself. Oh geez.

Good luck to everyone! Hope to meet all of you backstage! (I'll be in the blue sparkly bra outfit with the long red hair)

atomic99
07-06-2005, 06:57 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel nervous, Sarah. I've been shooting the Masquerade for years and can't remember any goofs on the photo area. There is a guide for those cosplayers that have trouble getting onto the photo stage (big costumers, obscured sight, etc.).

I'm sure the other cosplayers have some tips but I would think double-sided tape might help to keep things in place. Any advice, cosplayers?

You'll be fine, Sarah. You plan for everything and want it to be perfect but ultimately something comes up. Ignore the small stuff and have fun with it!

C-ya at the Con!

atomic

I don't know why, but reading that made me very nervous....;_;

It's just my luck to trip and fall or worse, inadvertantly expose myself. Oh geez.

Good luck to everyone! Hope to meet all of you backstage! (I'll be in the blue sparkly bra outfit with the long red hair)

Yuna Summoner
07-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel nervous, Sarah. I've been shooting the Masquerade for years and can't remember any goofs on the photo area. There is a guide for those cosplayers that have trouble getting onto the photo stage (big costumers, obscured sight, etc.).

I'm sure the other cosplayers have some tips but I would think double-sided tape might help to keep things in place. Any advice, cosplayers?

You'll be fine, Sarah. You plan for everything and want it to be perfect but ultimately something comes up. Ignore the small stuff and have fun with it!

C-ya at the Con!

atomic

Thank you! That means a lot to me...I feel better already. ^_^
Yay for Comic Con!

Dany
07-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Wow, that's a killjoy.

Who said there wouldn't be no D swords eh? *grin!* *whistle!*

I plan on going to security with mine first-thing to confirm that my peace-bonding method will be sufficient enough for them, and what I can or can't do with it. My -guess- is that if it's a prop (not metal, not sharp) and you aren't fighting with it, you should not have too much trouble.

I think the bigger concern is due to the new California laws about prop weapons that came out, and the focus on that was on guns. However, if it appears that it could really harm someone, expect them to ask for peace bonding or to not bring it into the Con.

I know the guy that runs about as Blade had to have his peace-bound, but the trick with his was that he has real metal going on in his stuff. :)

Dany
07-07-2005, 04:11 PM

Double-sided tape, maybe....it depends on what's sticking to where, etc. I'm also thinking of the stuff that erm....exotic dancers and showgirls in Vegas might use to keep things like pasties in place. I don't know if it's much different.

Also, I can't stress enough the idea of not getting yourself too worked up. I'm horrible with stagefright. Last year, I was a complete wreck, and when I see the video, there are moments where I can actually see how bad it was.

It's healthy to be nervous, but you don't want to be too nervous, or else it shows on stage and the crowd will see it plain as day.

Interestingly enough, I have a little thing I do every time I do a presentation.

1. Get onstage (because I normally start already on with the house lights down) and settled into place.

2. One good, deep breath.

3. Say to myself (out loud, even, though only enough to hear it myself): "I make this s*** look good."

Obviously, #3 can be modified to something that suits your personal preference. The vernacular works for me for some strange reason.