PDA

View Full Version : Kimono and obi

Dahlia
01-10-2003, 09:29 PM
ok I'm gonna be wearing this kimono for an upcoming con that a fave jrocker of mine wore back in like early nineties or somewhere around there. Thing is I'm looking for an obi but there's so many different types. Can anyone explain the difference between them? So far I've come across fukuro, haru, nagoya and maru.

Koumori
01-10-2003, 09:38 PM
Maru obi are the most formal and old-fashioned. They are usually brocade, patterned on both sides. Fukuro obi are similar to maru obi, and worn more commonly nowadays, but they are patterned only on one side, where it will show. Hanhaba obi are half-width and relatively informal. Nagoya obi are designed for tying the popular drum bow only; they are wide at one end and narrow for about 2/3 of their length. The type of obi you need will depend on the type of bow - though since there are very few people in this country who know much of anything about how to tie them, most of us end up improvising.

Dia
01-11-2003, 02:20 PM
I've been more or less studying kimono for a few years now, and it is indeed a complicated subject ^^ Koumori did a great job desciribing the different obi types, so I won't try. As for tying one, I know of one website that has instructions, with photographs, on how to correctly wear a kimono and also how to tie an obi in the drum bow, which is often used - Asahi JC's Kimono FAQ (http://www.asahi-jc.com/kimofaq.htm). It also shows you the kind of things you'll need to tying the obi and wearing the ensemble properly (you can make most of these yourself if needs be). Something that also may be of help is Sailor Mo's Kimono Links (http://www.i2.i-2000.com/~maureenh/kimono/k_links.htm), which I think someone posted on the board not too long ago. Good luck! ^_^

Koumori
01-11-2003, 02:26 PM
I think the Kimono FAQ assumes you're using a Nagoya obi - it's definitely one of the most common ones used for everyday wear.

Dia
01-11-2003, 02:44 PM
*nods* Pretty much, yup. I used my nagoya for it and it works well. A few of the steps are a bit unclear, though..

Koumori
01-11-2003, 05:41 PM
"The Book of Kimono," which is readily available through Amazon, also goes through the steps of putting the kimono on and tying the Nagoya-taiko bow. It also covers tying the so-called "sparrow bow," which is the type that Kaoru wears.. but it requires even more specialized equipment which I've never even seen. :P

SailorMo
01-11-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Dahlia
ok I'm gonna be wearing this kimono for an upcoming con that a fave jrocker of mine wore back in like early nineties or somewhere around there. Thing is I'm looking for an obi but there's so many different types. Can anyone explain the difference between them? So far I've come across fukuro, haru, nagoya and maru.

Could you post a pic? I'll be able to tell which bow, especially if it's a fairly common one, and scan the instructions from one of my kimono dressing books.

BTW, are you gonna be at Katsucon? Looks like I'll be doing a kimono dressing demo, but it hasn't been confirmed yet... At the very least I can show you how to do it on the spot! =)