PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings

Pages : [1] 2

soshi
01-10-2003, 08:30 PM
there's been an other costumes sections for HOW LONG and there's not a LOTR thread yet? for shame!

not that I've actually cosplayed anything from it (running around with a hooded cape and plastic sword and proclaming I'm a Nazgul doesn't count, does it?), but I'm a huge Tolkien fan and so loooove seeing LOTR cosplayers. ^__^

sooOOoOooo.. who's done what, who wants to do what, and.. erm.. ect! XD; ... ^^;

Babbit_Chan
01-11-2003, 04:54 AM
Hmm I thought there was (it's probably buried somewhere). I can't decide whether to start on Eowyn's bookmark outfit or to wait for her Dernhelm gear to choose XD

Pendrell
01-11-2003, 05:26 PM
Dernhelm! Dernhelm! XD

Wellll.... at the moment, I'm tentatively planning a group costuming excursion for the premiere of RotK. However, being that my friends are all cheap and lazy, we'll prolly end up as a troupe of rather ghetto elves. Or nothing at all, since they'll all back out last-minute. -_-; I personally wanted to try for the nine nazgul. Eh well.
But I *do* plan on making an outfit similar to Legolas', (albeit a Quendi version ^^) after I finish my other two current projects. Blargh.

peaseblossom
01-12-2003, 12:16 AM
I am doing Eowyn's dress (from when they are about to leave for Helm's Deep) for DragonCon '03. CamuiMana and I are meeting up for pictures (she's doing Arwen). Kell does one bad ass Arwen!

Karisu-sama
01-12-2003, 01:56 AM
I'd be happy to do a girl from LOTR movies, except they all wear pretty dresses so far *pouts*. I wanna wear armor. Without a floor length skirt.

Ringo
01-12-2003, 09:38 AM
I bought fabric for Arwen's Chase dress yesterday. I just love all those layers. ^_^
Next Christmas seems soooo far away. =(

kelldar
01-12-2003, 09:57 AM
hee thanks!! :D Yeah man I wanna do Eowyn in armour... but just thinking about wearing armour to the theater... I also want to go as Aragorn, lol.

Troppy
01-12-2003, 01:01 PM
Hehe, I'm planning on doing Arwen's "Hope" dress from Two Towers. It's from the scene where Elrond is trying to convince Arwen to forget Aragorn...it's pretty simple, but beautiful...and nice for a beginner like me. I'm having some trouble figuring out the structure of the sleeves, though... :-/

Ceres86
01-13-2003, 09:14 PM
I wanna do sumthing like a legolas/elf archer costume but like a female version of it :D I dont think I can pull off that legolas look XD

Sephy-Girl
01-14-2003, 09:02 PM
I'm planning to do Legolas especilally since I have EXACTLY the same color hair!!! Even though I'm a girl, I look a lot like him. My friends even think that he should be my boyfriend (even though he's really Orlando Bloom...) which is weird because one of my other friends likes him more than I do. Oh, well, I'm off the subject. Sorry.

Ceres86
01-14-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Sephy-Girl
I'm planning to do Legolas especilally since I have EXACTLY the same color hair!!! Even though I'm a girl, I look a lot like him. My friends even think that he should be my boyfriend (even though he's really Orlando Bloom...) which is weird because one of my other friends likes him more than I do. Oh, well, I'm off the subject. Sorry.

See! You're so lucky, I have practically black hair so I dont wanna dye it to blonde just to cosplay as legolas. And a wig makes my head look BIG lol I envy those who can pass as a guy (with the necessary changes like a wig etc) and also be a girl. Do I make sense? haha XD

peaseblossom
01-15-2003, 11:34 PM
Well, the *real* Legolas did have sorta blackish hair. The only elves that were supposed to be fair haired are those from Lorien. But that's beside the point. My brother in law looks exactly like Orlando Bloom in the face (and build). Teeny tiny guy he is.

Pendrell
01-18-2003, 11:51 PM
Well, finally found a suitable pattern for the Requiem cloak/Departing Rivendell elf outfit. And for a mere $1.02! Hah! Oh, the wonderful cheapness. I love it! XP Well, anyhoo, now I've got to try it out on something cheap-n-disposable... before I go fabric-nutty and end up with rolls of various velvets. I Also found some lanterns that are amazingly reminiscent of the Requiem scene ones. So it looks like there'll be at least one Requiem elf at the RotK premiere. Now to get Lauren to jump on the elven bandwagon. :geek:

JoeBoeing
01-19-2003, 12:05 AM
Greetings all,

I want to cos-play Samwise... he was my favorite from the books. My face is similur to his.

How do I go about making a Samwise costume?

FRom,
Joe

elfinder
01-21-2003, 04:02 PM
I want to, well I plan to make an Arwen gown. After going through all of the possibilities. I choose the white gown from the wet statue! I plan to wear it to the ball for Sakura Con 2003, Halloween 2003 and when I see Return of the King

Now I just need to save up for the Evenstar necklace, which will cost me about 94 usd *cries*

This is the dress
http://members.shaw.ca/danaka/arwen1.jpg

kelldar
01-21-2003, 04:24 PM
You could get the cheapo Arwen necklace which is like $13, unless you really want to go all out ^^ I have the cheapo one and it looks pretty nice.

elfinder
01-21-2003, 04:33 PM
Oh where do I get that???? I could get the cheapo one and use it until I can afford the better one lol

Rosiel
01-21-2003, 04:35 PM
People have been trying to talk me into cosplaying Galadriel since the first movie came out. I think it's the hair for I can't see any ressemblance...

But I'd be too scared of making such a dress. O_O I know how to make tailored suits, but dresses...

kelldar
01-21-2003, 04:40 PM
That would be so cool if you went as a LOTR character Rosiel, even if it wasn't Galadriel *_*

I got mine on ebay - there are a few general costume stores online that carry them (along with the licensed halloween costumes, look for that kind of stuff). Those places were all sold out of them on halloween, but they may have them back in by now.

elfinder
01-21-2003, 04:41 PM
Hmm well I've only seen two costume sites that sell it and they're still sold out. Ebay just has over priced real offical ones >.<

Satine
01-22-2003, 03:48 AM
I've already done an Eowyn costume:D
http://recital.tripod.com/costume/eowyn.htm

I'm just dying to see her Dernhelm armour... I'm trying to imagine what it would be like... probably st least similar to what we saw of the men who actually knew how to fight in Helm's Deep as opposed to the civilians who were given bits and bobs from the armoury;)

I have some midnight blue silk velvet that might just be used for Arwen's BR dress.... I have a red Indian shawl that would be great for the upper sleeves of the under dress.. all I need is 4.5m or red velvet for the sleeves;)

Rosiel
01-22-2003, 09:05 AM
> That would be so cool if you went as a LOTR character Rosiel, even if it wasn't Galadriel *_*

For some reason, I feel ambivalent cosplaying an actor playing a part, as opposed to someone entirely fictional. I can't really put my finger on /why/ exactly, but I just do.

But then if Katan does stuff me kicking and screaming into a Lestat costume, then I'll see if I can overcome this limitation. ^___^ It would be too bad to waste an opportunity to cosplay without a wig!

elfinder
01-22-2003, 06:29 PM
Well I got all of the fabric and stuff!! I also found out the dress does exist! I saw it in the extended edition costume feature!

Anyone know some sites that have wigs that could work for Arwen. I live in Canada, so they'd need to be no more than 30-40 usd!

Garuda_Aiacos
01-23-2003, 01:24 PM
I got my Arwen Blood Red (or Midnight Blue & Rose Red) Gown at the seamstress now (was suppose to get it back last Dec! :angry: ) and currently doing Eowyn's Refugee (Brown Jumper & Blue Dress), in time for the coming cosplay event here.

By Dec, I should have done a 3-robes-layers (not including the bodysuit and extra hood) Ringwraith costume for ROTK premiere, and maybe another Arwen Gown (the ROTK Lavender Blue or Wedding one?).

Love to do the Arwen's Rose Red Gown too but I have to put it on hold till I polish up my gown making skills. :dunce:

Heehee, I'll prefer to do Arwen, rather than Eowyn now cause I'm dark haired (and my hair is very, very long still :p ). Wonder where I gonna get the blonde hair for Eowyn next month. Costume shops here lacks blonde wigs without bangs for rental. :rolleyes:

Garuda_Aiacos
01-23-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Pendrell
I personally wanted to try for the nine nazgul.

Cool! My friend (who did the Ringwraith last Dec) commented that it'll be cool to have all 9 Ringwraiths, all correctly attired with multiple robes, enter the theater at the same time at this Dec's First Premiere (probably midnight). So I had taken the challange to make it comes true! :D

2 Ringwraiths down, 7 more to recruit. :waaaah:

Pendrell
01-23-2003, 02:47 PM
Hear hear. XP I only got one other person to vote affirmative for doing the Nazgul, too. It would've been so nifty and intimidating... ;_; I hope you find your other nazgul. You've got a year, so at the moment you're not pressed to scrounge up the other Wraiths yet. :) I really, really hope you find enough people for this... it sounds like you're going to look quite accurate. I always love accuracy. :heart: And nazgul.

Well, after my great plans for nazgul costumin' got derailed, I figured I was alone in my quest to successfully create a costume for the next premiere. But when I said the word 'elf' in the same sentence as 'costume', all of a sudden three of my friends were all like, "we want to be elves! ELVES!" X_x; Well, FINE. *l* :geek: What a bunch of nerds we are. Eh, at least I know they'll follow through with elf costumes. Um.. probably, anyway.
Maybe not. <_<; Because I want to remain true to the film (specifically the Travelling oufit..), and they want to make cloaks in a variety of insanely bright colors and modify Legolas' jerkin into a minidress... nnnrrrgh... I'd prefer to make the cloak out of grey-black stretch velvet (so hard to find ><; ) and make a decent replia of Arwen's travelling dress. So I will. Odds are, I'll be the lone monochrome Quendi with three day-glo scantily-clad cohorts. ^^;

A J
01-23-2003, 04:22 PM
I had 2 ringwraiths at opening night of the TTT. Nine would be so cool but it's hard to find 9 people of about the same/right height. :) That and I really don't want to wrestle with 30+ yards of fabric per ringwraith again. *does the math* That's 270 yards!!!

O_O;;

I wanna do an easterling for ROTK! :)

Ceres86
01-23-2003, 04:43 PM
OT: AJ , is that anacksunamun or nephretiri from the mummy? Hehe I LOVED the part when they did that lil sword fight lol

A J
01-23-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Ceres86
OT: AJ , is that anacksunamun or nephretiri from the mummy? Hehe I LOVED the part when they did that lil sword fight lol

Yes, it's Nephretiri from The Mummy Returns. Yay! Someone recognizes it! :)

Ceres86
01-23-2003, 08:28 PM
of course i recognize it! :) At first I was like Noooooo, cant be! Cuz I'm so crazy about egyptians stuff & I loved the movie lol. What kind of responses did you get when u went to a con? or did you not attend one in that costume?

I'm wondering for Arwen type of dresses, would it be okay to wear them to renaissance festivals? I've never been to one and I'm planning to go to one soon (though not with a costume, probably for the later fairs) And I'm thinking "are they even renaissance type at all?

Garuda_Aiacos
01-23-2003, 10:52 PM
Ya, Pendrell , it's gonna be a big headache for me to fill up all 9 spaces. Been bugging my FanForce friends to join in, other than they doing their respective LOTR characters. ;)

Originally posted by A J
I had 2 ringwraiths at opening night of the TTT. Nine would be so cool but it's hard to find 9 people of about the same/right height. :) That and I really don't want to wrestle with 30+ yards of fabric per ringwraith again. *does the math* That's 270 yards!!!

O_O;;

I wanna do an easterling for ROTK!

Yub, yub. And in my case, the situation is worsen by the fact that one of the 2 confirmed now, is 1.8++m tall while the rest of us are around 1.5m to 1.7+m. Guess many of us have to go headless. :rolleyes:

U interested in doing Easterlings? Me too! I love the armor ever since I saw it the first time on the screen. And the helmet reminded me of a pot! :p Frankly, I been telling myself that I'll do the Easterling IF I had complete both the Arwen Gowns and my friends' and my Ringwraiths costumes. Reading what was discussed at the LOTR Costuming ML had also given me some hint on how I can achieve it. Getting the leather will also be not much problem as I had found a shop here that can sell me their scrape leather cheaply. But then, one problem still lies; I can't find the Easterling Action Figures! :( Someone is building an army worthy of Mordor here.

Originally posted by Ceres86
I'm wondering for Arwen type of dresses, would it be okay to wear them to renaissance festivals?

I understand a lot of people, especially those doning the hobbits costumes, do attend renaissance festivals in their LOTR costumes. It does have the look IMHO.

L to the 3rd
01-24-2003, 05:18 PM
well er.. i dun think I look like orlando bloom or anything
but i just did Legolas cuz I love the character
and it was a challenge. It takes me 2 hours to
get into the costume cuz of the make up, ears,
and blonde root dying. very much a pain in the ass...

dont' be discouraged, cosplay is for fun..and its
always a challenge.

Satine
01-25-2003, 03:03 AM
A J: lol! I was just looking at your icon and thought.. hmmm Mummy Returns... then I see your two discussing it;) Yep the gold mask and knife thingy gave it away;)

Ceres86
01-25-2003, 07:43 AM
i like the knife, if only I had a pair... muahaha :)

A J
01-25-2003, 10:17 PM
*wandering OT for a bit*

Cere86, Satine: It was actually a Halloween costume from 2 years ago but I wore it to AX last year. I really don't have anywhere else to wear it to but cons. :)

The knife thingies are called Sai(s). They're the real deal so I'll probably get em confiscated or something at the next con I go to. :P BTW, if anyone know's how to pluralize that, I'm all ears... sais... sai's... sai????

*back on topic*

Yesss.... where are all the damn Easterling action figures going?! I've been looking too and haven't found one yet!

Satine
01-25-2003, 10:38 PM
saii? Sairen? Oops no that'd be Dutch;)

I know what you mean, I have almost no where to wear practically all of my cossies;) There is a chapter of the SCA and there is a con here each year.. and that's about it;)

JoeBoeing
01-25-2003, 10:56 PM
Greetings all,

AJ - I believe that Sai are both singular and plaural (sp?)... just like the term anime. Don't quote me though. I did a tiny bit of sai training when I studied Kendo. Suzuki-senei wanted everyone to know how to handle each weapon besides the sword.

Anyways, back on track... I don't think anyone helped me with the Samewise costume question yet, or did I miss it?

I need to know which types of cloth to make it out of and if there are any full frontal and back pics of Sam?

FRom,
Joe

Pendrell
01-26-2003, 12:24 AM
Joe, as always, I recommend this site. (http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Hobbits.htm) So much info... 0_0; Almost scary. They don't do a specific breakdown of Sam's clothes (that I can find, anyway) but they've got several decent screenshots and suggestions for fabrics, etc. :)

Garuda_Aiacos
01-26-2003, 12:37 AM
You can also check out this costumer's website for some tips on what other "Sam" did:

http://www.hot-lead.org/Samcostume/

(Refresh the page if it didn't appear ;) )

Heeheee, I wonder if Singapore will see the full cast of 9 Fellowships Members and 9 Ringwraiths, plus the other main characters this Dec on a single day. :p

elfinder
01-26-2003, 07:43 PM
I found a site that will have the costume evenstar back in store in a week and it's a good price. But *cries* they won't ship to canada!!!!!!!!!!! EVIL STORE

http://www.starcostumes.com/item.asp?item=R6007

I've checked, two stores that sell it (when they're in stock) won't ship to canadia either....

FlameSniperRei
01-28-2003, 08:16 PM
who's going to comic con international cuz we're having a big hall cosplay LOTR gathering there!!!!

A J
01-28-2003, 08:20 PM
Is that the same thing as SDCC? I'm bringing my RingWraiths there so my brother and roommate will have a costume. :)

Yuna-X2
01-28-2003, 09:26 PM
Well, I'm late getting into this one, but thats alright! Way back last June I was doing the opening monologue from LotR:FotR for my final exam, so I needed to come up with something quick to look elfie, if not Galadriel-like. So, after a few tries, me and my mom found this amazing idea for the big white cloak Galadriel had when she was waving off the Fellowship.
Basically, all you need is a big white bed sheet and a shoe string. Drape the bed sheet right over you, right over your head too, and adjust it until you get it so the bed sheet is just touching the floor. Then you gather the fabric at the neck in the back, and tie it there. There should be a lot of fabric still over your head, unless your sheet is small or you are really tall. Then all you do is just take the end, and fold it back a bit so it is covering the tie and, presto, you have a full length cloak and hood!

That, along with a navy blue formal dress and braids in my hair like Leggy's (I swear he stole my style..) I got perfect marks on my costume! I was pleased. :)

FlameSniperRei
01-29-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by A J
Is that the same thing as SDCC? I'm bringing my RingWraiths there so my brother and roommate will have a costume. :)

YUP! it's SDCC in San Diego, CA in Late July! (like a week after AX x_X*)

Hrm we should set up a time, AJ, to do a big photo gathering, what say ya? :)
Anyone doing LOTR is welcomed!!!!!

-Gina

KelBebop
01-31-2003, 03:21 PM
I know of at least three other people who will be in LOTR costumes at Comic Con. Our traveling party down to San Diego consists of two hobbits and a dwarf! :D

All good things,
Kel

A J
01-31-2003, 04:58 PM
You're going Kel!!! Yay!!!

We should definitely setup a meeting/photo time. Maybe as it gets closer... if you tell me now, I'll never remember. :)

-AJ

AnimeParty
02-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Me late on this too. Me wanna do a Legolas cosplay sometime...maybe next year. Orlie is me favorite right now. :P I'm stupid...

Pendrell
02-04-2003, 08:30 PM
The more Legolas the better. *l* :D
It's sad when all your girlfriends get so Orlie-fied that they decide to cosplay LOTR with you... and they don't even like the concept of cons or cosplay. They're just into elves... really REALLY into elves.. 0o;

AnimeParty
02-04-2003, 09:02 PM
My friend was on vacation in Asia this winter and IMed me and my other friend from Tokyo. She's like "run out and get me 3 copies of the YM mag with Orlie." at like 8:30 PM our time...cause it was the last day that issue was on shelf...my friend did it...so stupid...thats why her cosplay name is Baka...^_^ (useless information that I know you'd all use in later life...)

Pendrell
02-08-2003, 09:45 PM
Well, it's... good.. to know. *l* BTW, your avatar is very, VERY nice. XD *paws at avatar longingly*
Five dollars a yard for stretch velvet IS a good deal. XP I'm tussling with myself mentally over whether or not I should buy the dang velvet for the cloak already... heh, don't mind me and my ramblin', folks. ^^; I'm just too obsessed with this elven cloak business for my own good...

AnimeParty
02-09-2003, 02:58 PM
Well, I don't like doing things that lost of people do so...the outfit he's wearing in my avatar is the costume I'll do. ^_^

Pendrell
02-09-2003, 06:06 PM
REALLY?! 0_0 Want to see, want to seee... erh. *l* I like his fancy garb. XP Well, my plans for somewhat modifying his outfit for a female version have been taken and essentially torn to shreds and stomped on by my fellow elf costumers. -_-; So I settled on Arwen's 'Requiem' dress and cloak, both of dark grey velvet, I believe. Mmm, plush neutral tones. ^^; But this whole ensemble may not even get started until November or later. >< Simply because my sewing is the pits. Ugh. Practice muslin, here I come..

Sana-chan
02-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Weee I'm cosplaying as Legolas! And I'm getting the Lórien bow too XD yay.

AnimeParty
02-09-2003, 06:57 PM
Sana-chan: Ooo. Awsome. When he wears the outfit I'm cosplaying as he dosn't have the bow...he's carrying water...blah...;_;

Sana-chan
02-09-2003, 09:16 PM
Ohhh are you doing Legolas in his silver shirt thingy at Lothlórien?

AnimeParty
02-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Yeppie. ^_^ :::excited:::

L to the 3rd
02-10-2003, 03:42 PM
last year, i drove down to san deigo comic con as legolas and my sis was galadriel...and it looked like we were going to an elf wedding or something. Everyone kept giving us weird looks.

Sana-chan
02-10-2003, 05:33 PM
LOL that's fun driving in a car... in costume and getting the weird looks. I always thought no one would notice, but when I was in a car as Digiko... yeah ppl noticed hehe. Btw you and your sis make a wonderful Legolas and Galadriel XD

AnimeParty
02-10-2003, 06:47 PM
My friends forced me into a Dunkin Donuts and Burger King drive to and from. Of corse they were dressed as school girls...but me...I had a red head band and big read cape on...:P blah...People were a bit scared...I myself was proud...after the fact...

Sana-chan
02-11-2003, 06:03 PM
hehe that's always fun.

I got some pics of my Legolas costume up in my costume database. It's not done yet tho @_@ still gotta make quiver belt, wig, ears, etc.

AnimeParty
02-11-2003, 06:06 PM
Awsome. Good luck with ze rest. ^^

aimee
02-12-2003, 07:31 PM
I'm about half way done with my Arwen Requiem dress. ^_^ now I just need to do the underdress and the sleeves

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=22246&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

Pendrell
02-12-2003, 07:56 PM
Aimee, your Requiem overdress is so gorgeous. ;_; I've been aiming to make the Requiem ensemble as well, but, uh, I.. can't really sew well yet... ^^; So I'm waiting until I can actually do a halfway-decent job on it. <_<;
But I love the velvet that you used. It looks fabulous. I'm dying to see the underdress!

aimee
02-12-2003, 08:34 PM
it's actually one of the easiest sewing things I've done so far, the trick is just making a muslin and modifying the pattern. if you can do that, it's easy, since the dress only has 3 peices! (1 front, 2 back.) I used a simplicity basic "easy sew" jumper pattern that has no princess darts or anything like that, just a really basic pattern, and then added the train, and modified the collar line and arm hole. ^_^ good luck, and thanks for the compliment!

Garuda_Aiacos
02-14-2003, 10:35 AM
Aimee, it look great! :)

Just curious, which Jumper pattern did you use for that? I'm currently working on the Eowyn's Refugee Dress and using a McCall's pattern I bought for "fun" a few months back and to my "horror", it got darts which is "lost" after I modified the pattern to fit me (after the calico draft version turned a little too tight around the chest!). I'll probably use another pattern without any darting for Version 2.0 of the Jumper. :p

aimee
02-14-2003, 12:49 PM
I think it was simplicity 5858?? but just take a quick look through the catalogues and you can find lik eat least 7 different ones that don't have darts. :) just pic which you like the best, and make sure to pay attention to whether it is for stretchy fabric or not

Hitomi chan
02-14-2003, 11:39 PM
I've done 2 Lord of the Rings cosplays: Galadriel and Eowyn. I love Galadriel's dress... even I told my mother that I will use it for my wedding :thumbsup:
The Eowyn dress I made was the one she used for the Helm's deep, but I did it before I watched the movie (I've made it for the movie premiere in Mexico City), so I've made the dress with only one image... most of it was invented by me :p
Anyway, here are the results.

j-chan
02-15-2003, 05:19 PM
yay! lotr goodness. :3

as for me, i really want to be a hobbit. i think they are so fecking cute! that, or an elf. no, no- not because of legolas! because they are very cool, with their pointy ears & all.

but, for the ultimate costume: i want to be an ent for the return of the king premiere. yes, an ent. ph33r. XD admittedly, i will probably look pretty silly with a big honkin' piece of wood coming out of my head, but hey. all for the sake of fandom, right? ;3

Pendrell
02-15-2003, 09:38 PM
yay fer the big honkin' piece of wood XD nyeheh.
yep, I already found a pattern that'll work well for both the underdress and overdress. now I just have to learn how to, uhm, NOT suck at sewing. ^^;

kodiak33
02-17-2003, 06:12 PM
I would love to have a Uruk Hai costume ready for DragonCon. Me and a friend are just getting into latex mask sculpting so it is a feasible project I guess. The only thing is I have like ZERO time this spring to start it. Wouldn't 4-5 Uruk Hai walking around together look sweet? :eek:

Pendrell
02-17-2003, 10:31 PM
DUDE. Awesomeness. >.< Make time, man, you can do it! That would be most impressive. :D

AnimeParty
02-18-2003, 09:01 AM
Kodiak33 - Awsome. I'd love to see it when you find time to get it done.

kodiak33
02-19-2003, 12:46 AM
I will do my best...like I said I am just getting into latex so there might be a learning curve to deal with. I will keep you guys posted, but more than likely I won't start on it for awhile. Thanks for the support though...if not this year then definately next year!

Garuda_Aiacos
02-20-2003, 06:36 AM
I'll love to see someone here dress up as the Twilight Ringwraith with the correct facial look. :p But haven't had any luck convincing any of my friends to do it (other that we have not much idea how to achieve the facial look! :confused: ).

Well, I kinda did my Eowyn Refugee Jumper for a local cosplay event last Sat and wasn't happy with the lack of trimmings & cap sleeves on it and it's basic shape so back to the cutting board for the Jumper till it's as close to the original as possible.

Natsume
02-20-2003, 11:03 AM
My friend wants to have a LotR party... She wants everyone to be elves, so I'mma have to get a wig to cover my hobbit hair. Stupid hair. Why do I have to normally look like a hobbit? Blah.

Anyhow, I'm going to try and make a female version of a Lego costume too. If only suede were cheaper... x.x

AnimeParty
02-20-2003, 03:41 PM
I've spent 9 hours of me life on Two Towers and 12 hours on Fellowship this week!!!

BLAHNESS

Satine
02-20-2003, 05:14 PM
I have just come back from the Lord of the Rings exhibition in Te Papa, Wellington, New Zealand. Got some info on Lurtz (Uruk- Hai leader dude)... start of his make up was 8pm finish was 10am the next morning! He was litereally encased from scalp to feet.... The prosthetics were 1" thick in some places....

And I got some good looks at Arwen's Requiem Dress and her Riding Costume.

And Galadriel's ring (so beautiful) and her Mirror Costume. There was far too much armour to really attempt to makes notes and memorise.

It's been extended by a month so I'm hoping to get back and make better notes:)

KelBebop
02-21-2003, 01:01 PM
To anyone who is in the Los Angeles area, or who can travel there before 5/3/03, I would strongly recommend visiting the "Art of Motion Picture Costume Design" exhibition at FIDM. They have 10 different costumes from The Two Towers on display, and it is marvelous to be able to get a close look at the fantastic costumes! I just went there with aimee and sbjudy this past weekend, and it was costume heaven! They don't allow photos, but you can sketch and take notes to your heart's content.

All good things,
Kel

Sana-chan
02-22-2003, 01:31 AM
gah I've seen pics from that for Fellowship and the costumes were juss GAH X_x. So awesomeeeeeeee.

Hrm I've seen Two Towers 17 times @_@ I really have no life lol

Satine
02-22-2003, 02:44 AM
I snuck a pen into the Te Papa exhibit, and if I go again I'm going to get some paper in my leaflet rather than scrawl on the leaflet.

Still, I did get a lot of info:
http://recital.tripod.com/costume/tepapalotr.htm
Arwen's Riding costume (though i have to get my sketches of the sleeves up as they are really odd... where the flared leafy section joins the fitted part is well.. not that simple really), Arwen's Requiem Costume, Galadriel's Mirror Dress and briefer notes on other bits and bobs are there.

L to the 3rd
02-23-2003, 02:49 AM
is anyone going to the LOTR TTT oscar party? I am... in costume too X_X;;;

Kiko-chan
02-23-2003, 08:55 PM
Wow an ent (yes I'm replying to a few posts back). THAT is an awesome costume idea. Probably rediculously hard though. ^_^ Good luck!

Garuda_Aiacos
02-24-2003, 03:43 AM
Not really. :)

If the person making it knows how to create the illusion of a tree trunck, with the kinda of skin need, it will be a lot easier to do than to do an accurate Sauron Armor.

Like they says, it's all in the mind; if you sweat and bleed over it and take your time to research on it, do it slowly etc, you will be able to see it become a reality. ;)

AnimeParty
02-24-2003, 02:47 PM
I want to do Eomer's costume...but I don't know how to make armor yet ^^'

Sarcasm-hime
02-26-2003, 02:47 PM
Is anybody coming to Toronto for the Tolkien Gathering in December? It's going to be like a LOTR con, with panels, a masquerade, and they're even going to show all 3 movies in one sitting. I'm making the BR dress for that...I'd love to make Easterling armor as well but won't have time after Worldcon.

http://www.tolkiengathering.com/

Freya
03-04-2003, 10:46 PM
Same here...how in the world do you get tickets to go to that?

chibi-dj
03-04-2003, 11:04 PM
mmmmmm.....im probly gonna go to comicon (hopefully *crosses fingers*) as Merry or another hobbit....on threat of my life cause my friend wants to be Pippin....not that she had to twist my arm very far.......^_~

anyone know where i can get "hobbit" ears? Oo;;;;;

AnimeParty
03-05-2003, 12:33 PM
You can get elf ears at most costume online shops and such.

aimee
03-05-2003, 03:33 PM
you can cast your ears yourself and make more hobbit-like ears. (hobbits ears look different than elf ears if you want to be picky) it's not TOO hard to do. there are plenty of places online that describe this process. but you'dd have to be ok at sculpting.

Laiqalassë
03-07-2003, 10:38 AM
L to the 3rd
last year, i drove down to san deigo comic con as legolas and my sis was galadriel...and it looked like we were going to an elf wedding or something. Everyone kept giving us weird looks.

I think it's an unavoidable circumstance.
>>---> pats reassuringly <---<< Don't worry, cosplayers always get weird looks.

AnimeParty
I see that most of my Elvish kin are here. >>---> smiles <---<<
I think I've found my place. =)

AnimeParty
03-07-2003, 03:01 PM
Yay you found us!!!

Laiqalassë
03-07-2003, 10:48 PM
Of course I found you! >>---> smiles <---<< An Elf always manages to find his place among his kin anywhere in Middle Earth. =)

I see a lot of people are going as Legolas Greenleaf as well. Actually this coming Wednesday, there's going to be a New Worlds Sci-fi & Fantasy Convention here in Manila, and I'm planning to go as Legolas in his Fellowship of the Ring get-up. The costume's going to be really difficult... the Elvish patterns were so intricate on Legolas' clothing, not to mention on his vambraces. I'm hoping to get all my images uploaded as soon as I can, if only I had the time. I am hoping to see YOUR rendition of Legolas as well, AnimeParty. =) That would be very nice indeed.

Inserting a few back-message replies.

Sephy-Girl
I'm planning to do Legolas especilally since I have EXACTLY the same color hair!!! Even though I'm a girl, I look a lot like him.

>>---> bows down <---<< Then you SHOULD indeed cosplay him! =)

L to the 3rd
dont' be discouraged, cosplay is for fun..and its
always a challenge.

I most definitely agree with your insight. Cosplaying is not the simplest thing in the world, but once you get it done, it somehow gives you fulfillment, no matter how light it may seem for other people.

Ceres86
I wanna do sumthing like a legolas/elf archer costume but like a female version of it I dont think I can pull off that legolas look XD

Have faith. If anyone could pull it off, YOU surely can as well. >>---> smiles encouragingly <---<<

Believe and you will find a way.

*edited with vbcode

Garuda_Aiacos
03-08-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Laiqalassë

Actually this coming Wednesday, there's going to be a New Worlds Sci-fi & Fantasy Convention here in Manila, and I'm planning to go as Legolas in his Fellowship if the Ring get-up.

Hey! That's great! Wish I can go down to the Philippines to see it in person but I'm broke as usual because of my costuming materials spending. :( Can't wait to see some photos from the event! ;)

Hmm, so far, I can't get among my friends to become Legolas, Boromir, Gimli, Pippin and Merry. And we still need people to become the 9 ringwraith for the Midnight Showing. Hai . . . 9 more months to go and I'm already worried for everyone. :rolleyes:

Laiqalassë
03-08-2003, 08:54 AM
The_Serafita
Hey! That's great! Wish I can go down to the Philippines to see it in person but I'm broke as usual because of my costuming materials spending.

Worry you not; even this Elf has problems concerning money. >>---> scratches my pointed ears in embarassment <---<< ^_^;;;

Can't wait to see some photos from the event!

I'm going to upload the images as soon as I can, together with my other animé cosplay images. I'm sorry; I'm quite lazy to work on the images for now... I want to get the whole thing done all at once.

Hmm, so far, I can't get among my friends to become Legolas, Boromir, Gimli, Pippin and Merry. And we still need people to become the 9 ringwraith for the Midnight Showing. Hai . . . 9 more months to go and I'm already worried for everyone.

That's very nice! Don't worry yourself too much; I am pretty sure that everything will turn out just fine. I do hope you complete the Fellowship and the Nazgul. >>---> smiles <---<< Forget you not the photographs!

*edited with vbcode

AnimeParty
03-08-2003, 10:38 AM
I don't go to LOTR gatherings and such. My parents only allow anime cons, but me and my crazy friends are going to see Return of the King at midnight the night it opens, hopefully in costume...ack that means I should get working on the Legolas costume. BLAH!!!

Garuda_Aiacos
03-09-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Laiqalassë

Forget you not the photographs!

Heehheehe, wish that WAS me in the photo! :D I really, really want to make and wear the Easterlings Armor but I kinda vowed to myself that I'll not even attempt to start on it until I had done my 2 Arwen Gowns, 1 Eowyn Dress, Ringwraith No. 2 and my friend's Galadriel gown (and probably more ringwraith robes for my friends! :eek: ).

Now if only I can find some Indian Metal pot to get this Easterling project pushed forward. :p

L to the 3rd
03-09-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Freya
Same here...how in the world do you get tickets to go to that?

the tickets to the LOTR oscar party sold
out within less than a week. X_X;
I almost forgot about it, but i checked
theonering.net just in the nick of time
to reserve tickets (back in early feb).

it's a bit pricey, but HELL..anything just to have a chance at seeing the LOTR cast!!!!!!! The oscars are 2 weeks..away.. I think photography is allowed so i'll be sure to take pics!

Laiqalassë
03-10-2003, 12:30 AM
AnimeParty
My parents only allow anime cons, but me and my crazy friends are going to see Return of the King at midnight the night it opens, hopefully in costume...

That's good enough, son't you think so? >>---> smiles <---<< At least that's something to look forward to. I DO hope you and your friends would be able to push through with your wonderful plans.

ack that means I should get working on the Legolas costume. BLAH!!!

You should. =)

The_Serifita
I really, really want to make and wear the Easterlings Armor but I kinda vowed to myself that I'll not even attempt to start on it until I had done my 2 Arwen Gowns, 1 Eowyn Dress, Ringwraith No. 2 and my friend's Galadriel gown (and probably more ringwraith robes for my friends! ).

Wow..... >>---> checks out the wardrobe list <---<< You sure have good taste! =) You go girl! Good luck on your costumes. (And as I've said earlier... I DEMAND PHOTOGRAPHS!) =)

Now if only I can find some Indian Metal pot to get this Easterling project pushed forward.

I don't think you'll need an Indian metal pot for your Easterling helmet. A bit of advice: just cut out a circular piece of stiff Oxford cardboard, the size of which MUST extend out of your head's circumferential measure. After doing that, cut the circle from the edge INWARD, stopping at the MIDPOINT of the circle. Then you can twist it in like a wide-mouthed ice cream cone. Do the same for the lower part, only this time make sure to INVERT the cardboard piece before sticking it to the bottom part of your helmet AND cut a hollow part out of it so that your head would fit through. Finish the helmet with the necessary adornments, spray on some metallic paint, and voila! you have an Easterling helmet.

I do hope tha helps. >>---> bows courteously <---<<

*edited with vbcode

arwen129
03-11-2003, 06:28 PM
im planning to do Eowyn but i have no idea where to start. any suggestions?

Jacques Strapp
03-11-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Sephy-Girl

Wow. That's pretty amazing. "Like, Legolas is so hot, I wanna date him. Cuz, he's like, cute and stuff." Chica, get real.

Garuda_Aiacos
03-11-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by arwen129
im planning to do Eowyn but i have no idea where to start. any suggestions?

That sound sound great! :)

Okay, firstly, you should look through Alleycatscratch LOTR Costume Research Home's Eowyn Costume page:
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Human/Eowyn.htm

As listed there, these are the costumes that had been seen in TTT (in order of appearance):
-Green Gown/Dark Gown
-White Wool Dress
-Funeral Dress (Brown Velvet Dress - blue, actually)
-Fur Edged Travel Coat (Brown Coat)
-Refugee Outfit (Brown Jumper and Blue-Gray Dress; also sparring outfit)
-Shield Maiden (Cream Chemise and Vest)

Select the one you want based on sewing capability (if doing it on your own) and availability of the fabrics in your area.

Join the LOTR Costume ML too for more infos on how others had done their Eowyn Costume (best is to look throught the achieve first for previous discussions before posting your enquires on how you can go about doing your Eowyn Costume).

If you don't have Blonde Hair, it's a good idea to get the wig too (this can also be a factor in selecting to do Eowyn).

For me, I selected the Refugee Outfit cause I can basically sew part of it myself and is the simpliest IMHO for my only 1 Eowyn Dress (I'm more of the Arwen Dress Lover :p ). Anyhow, I happened to buy a Blonde Wig (a misorder on the supplier side). :skidude2:

Jacques Strapp
03-11-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by aimee
you can cast your ears yourself and make more hobbit-like ears. (hobbits ears look different than elf ears if you want to be picky) it's not TOO hard to do. there are plenty of places online that describe this process. but you'dd have to be ok at sculpting.

That's very true. In fact, did you know that CONTRARY to what they show in the movie, Tolkienn elves do NOT have pointy ears. They are just REALLY tall, fair people with glowing eyes and stuff. Not once does he describe their ears as being pointy. I'd like to see anyone who can find him doing so in the books.

Garuda_Aiacos
03-12-2003, 09:09 AM
Well, the pointy ears for the elves is probably the creation of one of the illustrators of the novels then. :\ It's kinda a way to differenciate the Mortals/Men with the Elves. And there is always the mentality that Elves have pointy ears; from the legends and myths about them in our RL.

I should be buying my Elves ears by the end of the year. And also to get the Hobbit ears for my friend; so still trying to decide wherther to go with those Halloween Half-Ears or get the professional ones from Germany.

Satine
03-17-2003, 05:42 AM
A few pages dealing with the whole ear issue, if you want to read;) If doing a costume from the movie, one should have pointy ears;)

http://tolkien.cro.net/elves/ears.html
http://www.suite101.com/discussion.cfm/tolkien/84886/latest/7

And aparently they are described as leaf like in LotR.. I haven't found it, but it's been mentioned several times;) One bright young spark asked "how about maple leaves?" ;) I do wish people would give at least a chapter reference when they say things are in the book;)

Jacques Strapp
03-17-2003, 10:57 AM
Also. Hobbits do not have pointy ears either. Well, not pointed ears but slightly pointed ears. Which is not pointed enough to be pointed

yayahan
03-17-2003, 04:40 PM
I am so in love with Julie's Eowyn costume!!
http://www.risingsun.net/gallery/megacon2003/26/source/mc2003-1516.shtml

Sarcasm-hime
03-18-2003, 01:11 AM
Wow, that costume kicks ass. *.*

I guess it's a good thing, since it cuts down on the additions to my already bloated costumes-to-make list, that there's no way I could ever pull off Eowyn. It is simply impossible for me to stuff all my hair into a wig and have it look natural...-.-;;

So I'm just left with the 3,000 Arwen dresses. *lol*

Satine
03-18-2003, 05:12 AM
I've been thinking about making that costume, and humming and hahhing about it. But I think I'll just work on the trim of my Eowyn WW (http://costumes.glittersweet.com/eowyn.htm) dress. That's all that needs done to it.

I think I'll make another one to make into my design on that page;) I just love the movie costume so much.. sigh.

It's finding some self striped damask to make the shift for the Sheild Maiden gown;) That and the fact that I probably won't be able to hold a sword by the time it's made.. sigh.

But for my next LotR costume I need to make some ears.. grumble.. I'd forgotten about that. ANd I have a stupid fold at the top of my right ear so I'm not sure how well casting will work...

AnimeParty
03-18-2003, 06:34 AM
Yes. I love her costume. It's so pretty and acturate. Plus it's a very nice picture.

yayahan
03-18-2003, 07:13 AM
Sarcasm-hime, when will your LotR costumes debut? I can not wait to see!
I just had to stop and gawk at Julie's amazing portrayal.. she even has Eowyn's hair and expressions... ^-^!
Like everyone I've been entirely taken with all of them but who could I ever ever convincingly make a costume of? Oh the woes... ^^

Kirschwasser
03-18-2003, 11:21 AM
Angelicstar, I clicked on the link to the person cosplaying as Eowyn and...SUGOI!!!! That's an amazing costume. *Sob* She even has a sword!!!

Sarcasm-hime
03-18-2003, 05:28 PM
I'll be making Arwen's BR dress (the dark blue dress with the red sleeves...that was cut from TTT...argh!) for the Tolkien Gathering in Toronto in December, assuming that I can find some midnight blue silk velvet that doesn't cost $130/yard (the price at my local fabric store).

http://tolkiengathering.com Everybody come out, it'll be great!

L to the 3rd
03-18-2003, 08:46 PM
130 per a yard of silk velvet!?? dayam... that's as expensive as wedding gown
material.

Juliechan27
03-18-2003, 09:19 PM
wow thanks, Yaya!! i kinda finished it in a rush job the day before...notice the crooked hem and uncut threads lol! ^^;

Sana-chan
03-18-2003, 10:06 PM
Mau that is really expensive for fabric O_o. This thread suddenly reminded me to get working on my Legolas costume lol.

Juss outta curiosity, has anyone seen any Legolas cosplayers with either the mirkwood or lorien bow? Cuz I was gonna get it, but it's really really expensive. Not like it's a necessity for Legolas cosplay seeing as I've never seen anyone with it, but I was juss wondering if anyone has done it.

Garuda_Aiacos
03-19-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Sarcasm-hime
I'll be making Arwen's BR dress (the dark blue dress with the red sleeves...that was cut from TTT...argh!) for the Tolkien Gathering in Toronto in December, assuming that I can find some midnight blue silk velvet that doesn't cost $130/yard (the price at my local fabric store).

Ouch! :eek: Is Silk Velvet that expansive in the States? I saw that it cost around USD10-15/yard at eBay while here in Singapore it's SGD12-15/metre (USD7-8). But then again, I can only find a shop selling the Black one here; another shop said he got Grey, Black & Blue Silk Velvet too but the price is too low for such fabrics (SGD10/yard) and the fabric too stretchy, other than it's from Japan. The next alternative for me is Korean Rayon Velvet, which cost as much as the Silk Velvet here.

And about the Dark Blue Silk Velvet used, I read somewhere in one of the books that they dyed a Grey Silk Velvet, Dark/Midnight Blue. Could this be for the case of Arwen's Gown I wonder. :rolleyes:

Hopefully, I will get my "first" Arwen Gown done by June. After that, on to get the last dress she wore in her life in time for the ROTK Release this Dec 17th/18th. :D

Sarcasm-hime
03-19-2003, 02:56 AM
That's actually $130 Canadian...which is still expensive. I'm suspecting it's so pricy coz it's 100% silk velvet, which is really hard to find and very delicate (the store in question is a fantastic place that specializes in brocades, velvets, and other super-fancy imported stuff) as opposed to the 'silk velvet' you'll find on Ebay (which is 75% rayon, 25% silk...which I wouldn't mind either if I could find it in midnight blue).

Yeah, for the film they apparently got a whole bunch of silk velvet and dyed it midnight blue. They used the midnight blue for the BR dress and the Requiem dress (the one she wears in the funeral scene).

I've thought of dyeing, but I don't have anything big enough to dye 5 yards of velvet in...plus I'm not confident enough about my velvet-dyeing skills to risk it on an expensive fabric. Hum. If worst comes to worst I guess I'll just settle for black rayon/silk velvet, which is only $20 Canadian per yard.

AnimeParty
03-19-2003, 09:53 AM
Wow...that is expensive....Er...I'd help, but I no good with dis stuff. ^^; Good luck on the costume thou. I'd love to see it in completion.

Garuda_Aiacos
03-19-2003, 10:14 AM
the Requiem dress (the one she wears in the funeral scene).

Requiem Dress is the Blue-Grey Velvet and the Traveling Dress that was also cut from the movie but appeared in the (main; 3rd?) trailer, lah! ;)

The Mourning Dress might be it's permanent name (haven't read any report of the actual name for it from those who had seen it at the FIDM Exhibition).

Ya, it was also mentioned in the book that they bought many, many, many, many bolts of White Silk Velvet that they later dyed into the various colors needed. If only we can do that too! (Wait, I also didn't trust myself to dye Velvet unless it's relatively "cheap" IMHO! :p )

L to the 3rd
03-25-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Sana-chan
Mau that is really expensive for fabric O_o. This thread suddenly reminded me to get working on my Legolas costume lol.

Juss outta curiosity, has anyone seen any Legolas cosplayers with either the mirkwood or lorien bow? Cuz I was gonna get it, but it's really really expensive. Not like it's a necessity for Legolas cosplay seeing as I've never seen anyone with it, but I was juss wondering if anyone has done it.

I'm planning on making a bow, but
security at cons has gotten really tight
and i was stopped last year cuz of an unstrung bow and sticks for arrows. -_-;

Oh..if anyone is interested, I have pictures from the LOTR: two towers oscar party. I got pics of Sean Austin, Billy, Dom, John Rhys-Davies and more..

One Party to rule them all (http://www.sailorjamboree.com/rivendell/oneparty.html)

Ringo
03-25-2003, 10:08 PM
That's so great! I wanted to go but being a poor student and all.... Anyways great pics, and what a great oppurtunity to hang with the stars. ^_^

L to the 3rd
03-26-2003, 03:41 AM
im a poor student too but somehow..i managed to go.. ^_^;; (that means
no lunch for 2 weeks eh?)

I'm defintely going again next year, when ROTK will sweep the oscars.

yayahan
03-26-2003, 09:38 AM
OMG I so want to see your Legolas costume in person! ^_^

Ringo
03-26-2003, 10:04 AM
I forget there is always next year!
That would be so great to go to. ^_^

Garuda_Aiacos
03-27-2003, 08:26 AM
I want to go too! Maybe next year.

For now, think better attempt to save and earn money to go to London near end of the year to see the LOTR Exhibition. :p

Hitomi chan
03-31-2003, 02:34 PM
whoaaaa I'm just going to he ROTK premiere here in Mexico :( I think that it'll be wonderful to meet the actors... but... well, I'll just be happy for the premiere.

Satine
04-02-2003, 06:46 AM
They also overdyed some grey silk velvet for some more interesting shades. It's in the making of the movies book.. not the art of books. Well maybe in them too;) But I found that in Making of the Movie Trilogy.. or some such similar title;)

Garuda_Aiacos
04-02-2003, 10:32 PM
Yub yub! It's under the costume section of that book. ;)

The Making of the Movie Trilogy (The Lord of the Rings)
by Brian Sibley (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0618258000/qid=1049344220/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-0282468-7876729?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
(There is also a soft cover for this title)

IMHO, that kinda explain the color they gotten for many of the costumes. And I bet that how they gotten the beautiful shade for Requiem Dress.

And that book also contained the first "picture" of Arwen at Helms' Deep. ;) It's just a little picture but you can see her head on her horse near Eomer if you seek it.

Hai . . . unfortunately, looking for a Black Silk Velvet is already so difficult (one 1 shop have it), let alone a Grey one. :(

Satine
04-03-2003, 12:53 AM
I found a wondreful midnight blue silk velvet:) But as per usual I suspect it's mostly rayon. And what's annoying is it's usually the *pile* that is rayon, because it can be acid etched that way... sigh.

Yeah, I think if they took a grey velvet and gave it a gentle wash in dye that would get that colour.

I've seen it for real;) It's really a very lovely costume, even if it was the hardest one to see at the exhibit.

Sarcasm-hime
04-03-2003, 02:09 AM
Is this velvet available online? Because I can't find anything midnight blue except for that 100% silk one that's $130/yard. I'm not rich, so I'll take rayon if I have to...

Garuda_Aiacos
04-03-2003, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Satine
I've seen it for real;) It's really a very lovely costume, even if it was the hardest one to see at the exhibit.

*started crying* :bigcry:

When is that exhibition gonna get itself to Singapore? Next location seems to be London and maybe then Boston.

Sarcasm-hime, have u joined the LOTR Costume ML? They regular recommand several good online stores that sell great velvet or fabrics. I think just now I read about someone recommanding Thai Silk (the store, not fabric ;) ).

Satine
04-03-2003, 06:09 AM
hmmm.. I know there is some white stuff available including already etched stuff, as people have been buying it to recreate the purple senate gown from Attack of the Clones.

Mine was $NZ35 for about 1.5m (or 1 1/2 yards of 60" wide).

Sarcasm-hime
04-03-2003, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I'm on that list but I haven't seen anything about specifically midnight blue silk velvet. Thaisilks has navy, but it's very hard to tell from the pictures on the website just how dark it is. I might just use black velvet, as I can get that locally (without having to pay massive shipping to Canada) and the dress looks black in all the pics anyways. -.-;;

Garuda_Aiacos
04-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Hmm, I'm also using Black Silk Velvet for my Mourning Gowns, so you're not alone. ;)

What kinda bugging me is the trims and the color of her Mantle/Cloak (I thot I saw Dark Green)

sbjudy
04-10-2003, 04:44 PM
I've seen the mourning gown in person, and it's definately a dark blue (whether navy midnight, it's really up to personal opinion.) After listening to a week of discussion on the color of the sash on the mourning gown from people who saw it, I've decided to buy a paint swatch card book, so I can just say color #4598234, and you can decide what the name is :)

Garuda_Aiacos
04-11-2003, 04:15 AM
Hmmm, could the color be said as "Blood Red" (or Oxygenated Blood Red ;) ) or Bright Red. I think I'll be using Japanese Crepe Satin for that sash (saw one in that color), but who knows if I'll change my mind cause not much of it is needed.

Hai . . . can't wait to have the money to start buying the velvets so I can stop thinking about it! :p

Kirschwasser
04-11-2003, 10:01 AM
Speaking of buying certain fabric, does anybody know where I can find some good satin online? Is crepeback satin good fabric? I'm having such a hard time finding certain fabrics online. -_-*

sbjudy
04-11-2003, 10:21 AM
Actually, the sash was a faded color (I thought it was salmon colored - pink with a little orange, but there has been a lot of disagreement). However, it is definitely not a vibrant color, and it is in the pinkish range. Personally, it looked like what happens to cheap taffeta when you wash it a lot… the color fades in lines along the warp… so, a light, faded pink color that is a bit streaky. I'm going back to see the costume in a couple of weeks with a paint card book :)

Garuda_Aiacos
04-12-2003, 01:34 PM
sbjudy, that sound great! :) I'll be waiting for your feedbacks on that Gown (will start getting it done around July-Oct, in time for wearing it this Dec). Wish I am in US rite now and can go and see the exhibition in person (hai . . .even the Trilogy Exhibition is going to London first). Oh, don't forget to contribute to Alleycatscratch site after you gotten the colors. ;)

Originally posted by Kirschwasser
Is crepeback satin good fabric?

Yes, Satin Back Crepe/Crepe Back Satin will be a good alternative to getting Silk IMHO. It's more "softer" and flowy then normal Satin, though it still got the sheen as with Satin.

The Japanese Crepe Satin I'm using is similar to Satin Back Crepe but it's thinner and very slightly cheaper (a SGD1 different).

Dante-chan
04-15-2003, 08:41 PM
Me and my friend made costumes back for the premier showing at Cinerama in Seattle for Fellowship of the Ring. We joinned ling party and everything. We were Young verisons of the characters Aragorn, Bill Ferny, Galadriel. Later on that day since bought like tickets for 3 showing in a row, and room at hotel next door my friend showed up also costuming as Arwen and a few others. My friend Court who did Aragorn also wore his to Ring Con and Sakura-con this year as well. I was older Elanor Gamgee for Ring Con and Two Tower this year... too bad all the midnight showing ticker like sold old within the pass 4 days they came out, they never had chance to put them on time. Bunchs of people I heard bought them so they could auction them off on E-bay! That really annonyed me! >_< Lucky we got tickets at the Pacific Place, and then were able to zip over to Cinerama for a 4am showing with a Bunch of my pals!!! ^_^
I plan on being Eowyn, the white brown outfit where she's holding the sword for Return of the King. I'm going to start making it asap so I can wear it to other Ring Con there having this year in Tacome in October.
Lots of funness! weeee! ^_^

Sorry to suddenly jump in like that. I sort of new here.
In issue 4 of Aug-Sept in, the Lord of the Ring Official movie magazine the costume designer talks about lot of the fabrics they used in the movie.
I remeber he saying that for the hobbits they used lot of weaves or woven type fabrics. Frodo they used velvet of golden brown and maroon red. I believe for lot elfish it was cut velvet for galadriel, but alot of things were custom woven for the characters. I remember they talked about how Aragron had an very delicately embroidered shirt he wore. Along with all the leather he wore they was lot of heavily leather-thead embroidery that went into his outfit to.
...my post is getting really long... pardon, sorry. I'll like end it here, I'll like shutup. ^^; But if people want to make some really nice solid replica costume backissuses 3 & 4 of the Lord of the Ring Official movie magazine would something to check out.

Dante-chan
04-27-2003, 08:28 PM
They have line partys set up at http://www.theonering.net if your interested. ^_^ Some people in our area got into the newspaper for the TTT midnight showing. They had even made the Barad-Dur or the Dark Tower. They were giving away best costume prises and ran the the cinerama line party then. Might want to check the line party list to see whattheaters in your area might be having it. If interested.

sbjudy
04-29-2003, 11:00 AM
Heya Serifita... I've just returned from the costume exhibit and unfortunately, the Lord of the Rings costumes are gone. They were returned to the studio two weeks early (the rest of the movies are still there). Sorry.

aimee
05-04-2003, 09:41 PM
hey guys! my arwen is almost done, check out my gallery for a few pics. ^_^ HEEE! almost done! agggh!

Garuda_Aiacos
05-05-2003, 12:35 PM
Sbjudy, it's okay. I read about it on the LOTR Costume ML so there's nothing any of us can do. (Hai . . . I should stop lurking there soon; been a member since last Sept and I hasn't even said a word! :o )

Aimee, your Requiem Dress is beautiful! So now you only need to make the ears, eh?

My first Arwen Gown should be back anytime now. :p Can't wait! :p After that will probably be surprise LOTR gown: when Print becomes Reality! ;)

L to the 3rd
05-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Getting the right fabric is very
important. I went thru a lot
of trouble getting the right
color and fabric for my legolas
costume, the result is that it's a lot
better than my first legolas cotume.

khamryn
05-05-2003, 08:22 PM
::Slinks in, has never checked this thread.. is lazy.::

Just as an interesting reference.. on the FotR extended DVD on the first dvd of extras, there is a complete section where the costume designer for it talks about the costumes and fabrics used. A lot of the colors you probably won't be able to match perfectly.. they dyed virtually everything themselves. >.o (oh the bolts and bolts of fabric.. I drooled.. *_* wait.. I still drool at the memory... >.> )

they also have some books at Barnes and Noble that have the art in them.. they're kinda expensive but you could at least peek, or ask me to scan something since I have the first one. ^_^

if this has already been said.. sorry, I didn't wanna wade through 11 pages. ^^;;;

Garuda_Aiacos
05-06-2003, 12:48 AM
L to the 3rd, I could agree more! Getting the rite color is one thing, getting the rite fabric with the rite drapeness is another. Most of the time, I feel like strangling the cloth sellers cause they are more concerned about making a sale rather than helping me find the rite cloth that they do have at hand but too lazy to look for it. And of course for me, the accuracy bug always bite me bad. :thumbsup:

KelBebop
05-11-2003, 01:20 AM
Hey guys!

Wanted to share my latest costume pics. We just had a little informal Merry and Pippin photo shoot this afternoon, and I'm really happy with the way the pics turned out!

You can see them here:

http://www.stitchinbabes.com/merrypippintree.html

I just finished my Merry costume today, and I am so thrilled to finally be done! All I have left to finish before BayCon is to make my foam latex ears and my two little hobbit "feet toupees." :D

All good things,
Kel

Garuda_Aiacos
05-11-2003, 01:28 PM
They look great! ;)

kelldar
05-13-2003, 08:00 AM
I don't know how many of you are still looking for one, but this place has the cheap Arwen necklace back in stock:
http://www.buycostumes.com/detail.asp?prodid=10614

(I signed up to be notified when they got it back in stock in october last year... half a year later they are, lol)

Garuda_Aiacos
05-13-2003, 08:22 AM
Hai . . . they don't do international orders. :( I could use the Rubies ones cause I'm only willing to get the rings, not everstar (Yes! Narya is out! :D ).

Hope TRU will do me a big favor and bring in LOTR Rubies stuffs for this Halloween.

Sana-chan
05-15-2003, 07:34 AM
KelBebo- wow that's an excellent Merry costume!!! Looks great XD. Ahhh now it's giving me even more incentive to do a Pippin costume so I can take pics with you!... even tho I was gonna do one eventually anyway lol. For now tho I'll juss wear my funktified Legolas costume.

What cons are all the LOTR cosplayers going to anyway?

Garuda_Aiacos
05-15-2003, 10:22 AM
Heard that there will be Elven Meet-up at DragonCon 2003. ;)

Dante-chan
05-15-2003, 12:17 PM
I found find times the the Evenstar necklace for only $7.00. IT's a costume verison, but a friend of mine got his old girlfriend the official necklace that was around $75 and actually looked like the jewels in it were plastic. If your interested in a good deal, check it:
http://www.halloweencostumes4u.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?store_code=hal&screen=PROD&product_code=rub6007

I guess, some else also note the cheaper necklace too. ^^

I know lot of cosplay wear there costumes to the movie openings, sci-fi and fantasy conventions, then in my area we have http://www.ringcon.con
That like happens twice year now. ^^

There's also Ren fairs. http://www.renfaire.com/Sites/state.html

I totally forgot before, but Here's a really great research web site about all lord of the rings costumes in the movie:
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/

Sana-chan
05-16-2003, 07:33 AM
Yah I was gonna wear it to a Ren Faire as well as Comic Con... and of course the movie premiere XD.

KelBebop
05-16-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Sana-chan
KelBebo- wow that's an excellent Merry costume!!! Looks great XD. Ahhh now it's giving me even more incentive to do a Pippin costume so I can take pics with you!... even tho I was gonna do one eventually anyway lol. For now tho I'll juss wear my funktified Legolas costume.

What cons are all the LOTR cosplayers going to anyway?

Thanks, Sana-chan! :D I've been obsessing over the Merry costume for months now. I'm happy to finally have something tangible to show for my efforts!

I'll be at BayCon, Comic-Con and of course, the local premiere of ROTK in my Merry costume. Probably Renaissance Faire as well. :)

All good things,
Kel

daria_jack
05-20-2003, 04:32 AM
Ryukku and I (maybe prettysilver too) are planning on doing something for the world premiere in decmeber. I don't know who I want to cosplay, but I think Aragorn or Legolas, not sure. Maybe I'll do Arwen

KelBebop
06-02-2003, 12:58 AM
I posted this link in the "Other Conventions" thread, but realized I forgot to post it here.

At BayCon, we put a rather large LOTR costuming group together, calling ourselves the One Ring Circus, and performed in the masquerade. You can see all of our costumes at the One Ring Circus website! (http://oneringcircus.stitchinbabes.com/orcindex.html)

You may recognize some Cosplay.com forum regulars...myself, AJ, Aimee and Judy! Also, Karisu-sama was our all-important audience shill for the masquerade performance!

We had so much fun working and playing together, we're trying to figure out when we can do it again! :)

Anyway, hope you enjoy looking at the page!

All good things,
Kel

kylash327
06-02-2003, 11:59 AM
Oh wow, there's a thread on this ^_^; I've had an Aragorn cosutme in the making since Fellowship came out, working on it off and on. Im doing the version with the elven cloak, Boromir gauntlets and no chainmail. I had gauntlets that I had made but wasnt happy with them so I sold them, bought some nicely done leathere tooled ones but they were too small, so I sold those as well. So right now I've got the cloak, brooch, cheapy Evenstar, pants, belt, and Narsil...gonna get his Ranger sword eventually.

Dante-chan
06-03-2003, 09:11 PM
Put pictures up of it!! I bet it looks great!
Friend of mine is doing a Aragorn costume since the first movie too. he's been wearing it at Ren Fairs, Ring Con, anime contventions since. He doing his own idea of a Aragorn costume, rather a Estal or young aragorn verison. Here's a picture,
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=35235&papass=&sort=2&thecat=3650
This me dressed as a hobbit and him. He's poseing with a pipe there. ahh... the pipe was scary:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=35233&papass=&sort=2&thecat=500
I went as a young galadriel during the first with the ring, I don't like my verison I ended up doing for her though. -.-

He got ride of the wrapping recently and he added some brown muskeeteer boots that he laced up to the outift. He got the ring before it sold out for $17 before the movie, but he sort now has the one from noble collection.

Too bad my friend didn't catch you when you selling your bracers, he really was wanting a pair. We saw some once at our local Ren fair being made but he couldn't afford them at the time. http://www.ravenswoodleather.com/bracers/gondor.html was the guy making them. Said they'd make them costum to what size or like to want when we were talking to them at the Fair about it.

KelBebop - love your merry and Pippin costumes! There so well done and very cute! ^.^

IF anyone interested, I just got the new noble collection magazine featuring a ton new jewelry from the movie. They have nearly every item from the movie out now. Check it:
http://www.noblecollection.com/catalog/catalog.cfm?catid=17

kylash327
06-03-2003, 09:37 PM
Yeah, Ive got the cheapo ring. For gauntlets, check out ebay seller Leiasky or email her, she makes great ones for a great price, or Kropskernel for the best, but more expensive.

Garuda_Aiacos
06-04-2003, 02:13 AM
Hmm, didn't know Leiasky sell Vambraces cause tot she's busy with her 2nd Age Elven Armor. :\

Yes, Kropserkel produce the best IMHO, been eyeing some of his stuffs for years now. :(

kylash327
06-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Thats very possible, I just know she used to sell them, possible she's not taking orders for a while.

L to the 3rd
06-04-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by The_Serifita
L to the 3rd, I could agree more! Getting the rite color is one thing, getting the rite fabric with the rite drapeness is another. Most of the time, I feel like strangling the cloth sellers cause they are more concerned about making a sale rather than helping me find the rite cloth that they do have at hand but too lazy to look for it. And of course for me, the accuracy bug always bite me bad. :thumbsup:

lol! sometimes I want to cry cuz
and whine when I can't find the right fabric w/ the right color.. ...making anime costumes is one thing, but replicating something that already exists in exact detail (with our limited budget) is not exactly easy ;_;

odango-mango
06-04-2003, 09:42 PM
I've got an arwen gown in the works, but i'm too busy making other anime costumes right now^^
I will have it done by the time the last movie comes out

kylash327
06-10-2003, 10:29 AM
Just thought Id post this link, probably the best place for talking to others about LOTR costumes. If you backtrack through the site, there are a few other LOTR forums, weapons, other props...ect.

http://pub23.ezboard.com/fpropreplicasfrm77

Ashe
06-11-2003, 12:28 AM
When is this big LoTR gathering at SDCC again?

I hate myself but... I think I'm going to make at least two of Arwen's dresses now. >.<

Garuda_Aiacos
06-11-2003, 01:14 AM
YES! The LOTR Trilogy Exhibition is coming to Singapore next March! :D :D

Now got to drag along the Dec LOTR Costumers/Cosplayers Team over to the exhibition opening day too. :D

KelBebop
06-11-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Ashley Rice
When is this big LoTR gathering at SDCC again?

I hate myself but... I think I'm going to make at least two of Arwen's dresses now. >.<

Ashley, I don't think any particular day or time was settled on. I think all we know at this point is that a lot of us are coming to SDCC, and a lot of us are planning to wear LotR costumes! :thumbsup: I guess we can discuss it in the SDCC topic...

YES! The LOTR Trilogy Exhibition is coming to Singapore next March!

Now got to drag along the Dec LOTR Costumers/Cosplayers Team over to the exhibition opening day too.

Lucky you! I am jealous. The closest that exhibit will get to me is Boston...more than 3000 miles away! I did get to see a few of the costumes at FIDM in Los Angeles, though, so I do consider myself lucky! :D

All good things,
Kel

kylash327
06-11-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Ashley Rice

Haha, damn you, you just really can't stop ^_^;

PikminLink
06-11-2003, 11:33 PM
im planning on making a legolas outfit.....i also wouldnt mind making a merry one either....but legolas is first!^^

Moonie Padfoot
06-11-2003, 11:52 PM
From cosplaylab.com member to cosplaylab.com member link, I do my entire familie's costumes. My dad is going as aragorn to the local ren-faire. I am a miscelaneous elf... you have been.. one elf-like being that I know of. I have no idea where I'm going with this. I'm just kinda rambling, but now you know that I've made an aragorn costume people...

Moonie Padfoot
06-11-2003, 11:55 PM
hmmm... I hate being such a girly-girl about this but.....
*fan girl scream* LEGOLAS!!!!!!!

Garuda_Aiacos
06-12-2003, 12:02 PM
HALDIR!!!!! :p :p

*Drool Drool*

kylash327
06-12-2003, 06:04 PM
Just got my Aragorn sword, woooooot!

Dante-chan
06-20-2003, 07:54 PM
Thanks kylash327 for the help! I'll talk to my friend about it.

PikminLink: Your legalos will look great I bet! Good luck on it. ^_^

L to the 3rd:
"lol! sometimes I want to cry cuz and whine when I can't find the right fabric w/ the right color.. ...making anime costumes is one thing, but replicating something that already exists in exact detail (with our limited budget) is not exactly easy ;_;"
O.O; I couldn't agree more. I'm going to go on the hunt for fabric for an Eowyn outfit. *wimper* wish me luck.

Kaijugal
06-25-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by JoeBoeing
Greetings all,

I want to cos-play Samwise... he was my favorite from the books. My face is similur to his.

How do I go about making a Samwise costume?

FRom,
Joe

Joe,
You would make an AMAZING Samwise!! (If I may say so!)

:) :bouncer: Is anyone here going to
THE GATHERING in Toronto in December? :bouncer:

Cheers!
Dawn :)

Ashe
06-25-2003, 06:21 PM
Wah!
I've been trying to find cloth to do Arwens farewell dress. I've been playing with this scrap of cloth, painting it all sorts of different ways, and I was really happy with the coloring on it. It looks blue some times, purple other times, and sort of brown others, it was really just about right. So I went back today for more, and the bolt I got my fabric off of this time must be a different dye lot, because it's much more purple! Don't know if I should take it back and try looking at another store, or just keep it. *sigh*

Garuda_Aiacos
07-28-2003, 09:42 AM
Hmmm, anyone else here taking the challenge to make any of the Elven Armors (2nd or 3rd)? :D

I'd tentatively put myself down to try to do the Elven Archer one (when they arrive at Helm's Deep Look) to go together with my Elven Sword (will be making one soon) out of paper mache and "something"; maybe do the rest of the parts later on as my skill improve. Finally studying all the templats now. :p

Sarcasm-hime
07-29-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Kaijugal
:bouncer: Is anyone here going to
THE GATHERING in Toronto in December? :bouncer:

Cheers!
Dawn :)

Ya forgot to link to it! http://tolkiengathering.com

I'll be there in Arwen's BR dress...^_^ got the main dress velvet and fancy trim already.

Kaijugal
07-29-2003, 06:46 PM
Ya forgot to link to it! http://tolkiengathering.com

I'll be there in Arwen's BR dress...^_^ got the main dress velvet and fancy trim already.

OOPS! Haha ;) Thanks!! Did you get your ticket yet? Only 1200 are being sold you know, and The One Ring. net has already sold over 600! Are you going to the whole convention or just the masquerade/banquet? Is anyone going with you? I think you know some of the people coming with me, want to meet up?

Skullez
07-29-2003, 08:11 PM
:p hehe if it makes ya feel better i have cosplayed sam from lorf of the rings for halloween last year =^>^= ! rather fun! ...but then i fell down some stone steps backwards from triping on ym cape....no fun at all...
but one year i do plan to be legolas. its just the fact of my dedecation to maken all the lil detaled stuff for his costume. and growing my hair back out and striping out my black back to blond...lol artificial intelegence !
but i have made cosplay costumes to sale of soem of the elves i have seen in the movie.
only one dress w/ a cape and such but its still nice =^.^= !

Sarcasm-hime
07-30-2003, 12:13 PM
I pre-ordered my tickets online way back when they first announced it...XD I have a full membership....and not sure if I have to buy a banquet/masquerade ticket in order to BE in the masquerade...

I'll be there, along with Stu and a bunch of friends.

Oh BTW, to all those Haldir fangirls: he's going to be a Guest of Honour at the Gathering. ^_^

*Shiva*
07-30-2003, 01:27 PM
Ohhh. . . I want to go to this - my English professor is one of the guest panelists, so maybe I can get credit for going! lol - I love being in the Lord of the Rings senior seminar!! ^-^

odango-mango
07-31-2003, 05:57 PM
I wish I could fly out to toronto but it will prolly be very cold and snowy out there. My frodo costume is almost completely done ^_^

Garuda_Aiacos
08-01-2003, 03:54 AM
Will be in Singapore busy organizing the Ringwraiths Attack and Costume Parade on Dec 17th and 18th.

Sarcasm-hime
08-01-2003, 03:11 PM
Actually, we don't usually get much snow here in Toronto until mid-January. There might be a little snow during the Gathering, but probably not. ^_^

Kaijugal
08-01-2003, 11:11 PM
Will be in Singapore busy organizing the Ringwraiths Attack and Costume Parade on Dec 17th and 18th.

What's the Ringwraiths Attack? :confused:

Garuda_Aiacos
08-02-2003, 02:16 AM
All 9 Ringwraiths will attack a local cinema for its first Sneak Preview (ROTK is released here on Dec 18th) and struck terror into the hearts of Men, Elves and Hobbits! :D

Actually, it's mostly the Dec 18th Elves, Men and Hobbits that are gonna dressed up as the Ringwraiths on Dec 17th evening :p

KelBebop
08-05-2003, 09:53 PM
All 9 Ringwraiths will attack a local cinema for its first Sneak Preview (ROTK is released here on Dec 18th) and struck terror into the hearts of Men, Elves and Hobbits! :D

Actually, it's mostly the Dec 18th Elves, Men and Hobbits that are gonna dressed up as the Ringwraiths on Dec 17th evening :p

Oooooooooh...Sounds cool! I have yet to see a group of all 9 Nazgul! Make sure you take lots of photos! :D

All good things,
Kel

Garuda_Aiacos
08-06-2003, 06:39 AM
Thanks! :)

Well, as soon as we confirmed all 9. So far only got confirmed the Witchking, No. 2 (me), No. 3, No. 5 and No. 7 with 2 possible ones (No. 8 & 9 ) and 1-2 interested but can't commit to it yet.

Gren
08-06-2003, 09:07 AM
I'm glad it'll be released in Singapore 'round same time as the US this year. My Kiwi and Aussie buddies got to all see it before me and rave about it while I was stuck squirming in anticipation and huntching over my midnight showing tickets in a damp cave.

Kaijugal
08-06-2003, 08:10 PM
I pre-ordered my tickets online way back when they first announced it...XD I have a full membership....and not sure if I have to buy a banquet/masquerade ticket in order to BE in the masquerade...

I'll be there, along with Stu and a bunch of friends.

I didn't think I'd get the time off work so I didn't originally plan on buying a full memebership. Hahaha I should have known you would have bought one already and had a mobbing planned. :D

I'm planning on being an Ent, because I couldn't think of anything more interesting to be. Well that's not exactly true, I wanted to be the Balrog but I figure everyone will do that... * sighs *. I thought a Goblin would be fun too, but kind of mundane..

*sighs and walks off muttering* :walkoff:

A J
08-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Thanks! :)

Well, as soon as we confirmed all 9. So far only got confirmed the Witchking, No. 2 (me), No. 3, No. 5 and No. 7 with 2 possible ones (No. 8 & 9 ) and 1-2 interested but can't commit to it yet.

LOL. I like how you've picked numbers for em already. I mean: how DO you tell them apart?

I'm 7 of 9 just cause our Frodo thought it would be cute. Yeah, we're dorks. :)

-AJ

Garuda_Aiacos
08-07-2003, 02:05 AM
Heheehee, the history? :p

Well, the Witchking got his cause he's the first guy to do a Ringwraith (last Dec at a Cosplay Event), he himself declared he's the Witchking with a home painted Witchking ring as the prove and is the tallest amount us.

Me choose No. 2 cause I choose it and that's the ID I gotten all the time when I did the "Which Ringwraith Are U?" Quiz (anyhow No. 2 slogan is "I should be in charge!").

No. 5 cause he's the skinniest, "doppiest" and we like to "bully" him. Anyhow, there is this joke about No. 5 being the stupiest Ringwraith (according to the Quiz and The Very Secret Diary).

No. 7 cause she like the no. and think it's the luckiest.

Rest, I just allocate the ID to them. No. 3 cause she's the next to join the team while No. 8 & 9 are schoolmates so make as well give them the pair of no. ;)

Neko Kitty-Chan
08-11-2003, 12:35 PM
Cool! All my friends and family think I look like a hobbit! Though I do sometimes where an outfit that makes me look like a hobbit! ^^ mehehee... I got sort of pointy ears too! :P

http://www.alteredminded.net/catpaw/SerenaBlogs/Me.jpg
That pic was taken a few years ago. Though I haven't changed all that much

elfinder
12-20-2003, 08:27 PM
I dunno if this has been mentioned before in this thread..... but I really want to cosplay Pippin! Just uh there's the problem of his scarf. I can't knit, nor do I know anyone who could....... so yeah I am at a loss of what to do about it. Anyone know someone who would be willing to make one and sell it to me? lolz...... Luckily I just had my hair cut and it's curly, so it can work for Pippin.... course it's a bit darker but oh well hehe. Once I get the scarf... the rest isn't too hard luckily.... cept maybe his shirt. I remember there being some sort of design on it..... *thinks* hehe

Amantalathiel
12-22-2003, 08:02 PM
you could go to a second hand store and look for one, it would be really cheap

elfinder
12-22-2003, 08:15 PM
Well it wouldn't be accurate...... hehe actually instead of doign Pippin.... I am leaning towards Legolas now! For that the tough parts will be the wig, arm clasps and boots hehe.

Amantalathiel
12-22-2003, 08:28 PM
haha, what would be harder would be the bow and arrows, not to mention the swords

Garuda_Aiacos
12-22-2003, 10:36 PM
I am leaning towards Legolas now! For that the tough parts will be the wig, arm clasps and boots hehe.

Hmmm, have you look around the wigs/halloween shop near your place for the wig? Well, if can't find a comb back one, can try to use a center parted one and then try to rearrange the hair so it looks like it's combed back.

The Vambraces; problem with the design or how to create it on yourself? A trade secret I got to know from the LOTR_Costume ML is to wrap some brown/white/majong/whatever soft paper around your lower arm and then wrapping it with duct/masking tape. Cut on one side and u got a template to make your vambrace. :p

Well, look through Alleycatscratch-LOTR Website (http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/) and the ML (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOTR_Costume/) for some tips and guide on the construction of Legolas' costume. Remember, only proper research will get you somewhere.

Good luck! :)

Skullez
12-26-2003, 03:58 PM
heh the first year the first movie came out i cosplayed Pippin for halloween =^.^= ! Saddly i didnt have my camera to take photos in but i can find someone who did ! lol and i just used cloths i found at the thrift store and in my closit. except i didnt add harry feet and i wore sandles.
its cold out on halloween !

but my friends mom had a cape she had in her closit and she let me borrow it =^.^= !
heh Pippin is my fave in the lotr saga ! :dance:

im now worken on a legolas costume and a sam one for a friend right now or dragon con. but i have costume ADD and always work on something new a week later!!..i have so many unfinished projects...

Shinobi
12-26-2003, 08:31 PM
Me and my friends went to Return of the King in costume! (We're in Michigan)

It was alot of fun, and it was my first time actually cosplaying in public. ^_^

I went as an elf, and most of my friends were in medival/renaissance period costumes/clothing. None of us really had time/resources to come up with a costume for a specific character, but we still had fun and got attention. We even played DDR in our costumes! :D

Here's a Pic we got after the movie:

http://forums.cosplay.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5277

From left to right are the following forum members:
CatBoi Blues, ShadowLuvr, The-Real-Link, Shinobi (me!), Yorusagi, and daguru
the Ringwraith in the background lurking like teh vampire is Gryphonic_Angel :)

Gren
12-26-2003, 09:06 PM
Remember, Legolas's Jerkin is tan TAN! I don't care what the action figure looks like1 It's tan! Curse the green Legolases that come up to me and tell me my jerkin is the wrong color. A plague on their pointy ears!

And fake suede from the uphostry section is awesome stuff. I got mine from Hancocks. Makes the costume all that much more super.

Freya
12-27-2003, 01:10 PM
Remember, Legolas's Jerkin is tan TAN! I don't care what the action figure looks like1 It's tan! Curse the green Legolases that come up to me and tell me my jerkin is the wrong color.

LOL! It's like the whole fellowship cloak thing. I know they're grey and even in the books they're mentioned more times as being grey, but in the movies they have a greenish tint to them. Stupid color grading :hafha:

Btw, how many of you perchance got tickets to the "Return of the One Party?" I know the ORC will be there performing but anyone else? ^_^

Gren
12-27-2003, 03:24 PM
What it this you speak of?

kelldar
12-27-2003, 05:59 PM
I'm torn and I'm looking for some opinions. My mom gave me some purple velvet for Christmas, intending it for a cloak... but I'm tempted to make Arwen's Hope dress (http://alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Elf/Arwen/Hope.htm) with it instead.
Here's a shot of the fabric: http://kellilla.com/me/cosplay/purplefabric1.jpg
The colour is slightly off there- it's not that bright. It generally looked dark purple in shadows, and has a bit of a cranberry tint in sunlight.
Should I go ahead and make that dress with this, or wait and find different material and just make a cloak with this fabric? I'm torn because I really don't know when I'll have another chance/excuse to make this dress, and I'm kinda worried about hurting my mom's feelings by not making a cloak with it...(tho honestly I'm not sure what use I'd have for a cloak that colour...)

hmph. it's so frustrating.

Adella
12-27-2003, 10:57 PM
I'd like to do a Dernhelm costume too..

I'm making my daddy a Theoden costume. I think he'd make a pretty good one.. so I want to be an Eowyn version. The Dernhelm persona was one of my favorite parts of the books, so I'd wish to recreate it for myself. I'll probably do the regular shieldmaiden outfit as well.. hm. X_X;

Remember, Legolas's Jerkin is tan TAN! I don't care what the action figure looks like1 It's tan! Curse the green Legolases that come up to me and tell me my jerkin is the wrong color. A plague on their pointy ears!

Don't forget that Legolas' jerkin is also woven with elvish threads. The silvan elves wear tunics that change colors depending on where they're at. That's why if you notice, Legolas' outfit always seems different. It's the manner in which Tolkien described his attire.

Freya
12-28-2003, 07:46 PM
I'd like to do a Dernhelm costume too..

I'm making my daddy a Theoden costume. I think he'd make a pretty good one.. so I want to be an Eowyn version. The Dernhelm persona was one of my favorite parts of the books, so I'd wish to recreate it for myself. I'll probably do the regular shieldmaiden outfit as well.. hm. X_X;

You as Eowyn=Super ultra cool ^____^
Your dad will look superb as King Theoden. Go humans! ^_~

Hitori
12-28-2003, 08:51 PM
Wee~ All the LotR cosplayers make mi the happi^_^ I'm working on a Faramir costume, for miself, a Boromir costume for mi brother, and the Eowyn travelling outfit for a friend. I'm so excited to be working on these XD Faramir and Boromir need more cosplay luv, and luv period.

Lady Ava
12-28-2003, 10:44 PM
I did a twist of one of Arwen's dresses from TTT. I have a pic of it in my gallery. Its long and pretty. There is a cloak, but its not pictured. ^_^

I would love to try to make Arwen's funeral dress from TTT. The one she wears in her vision of the future. I think it would be so pretty. I like how it looked in the film. Maybe one of these days. ^_^

Tiara
12-29-2003, 12:01 AM
I did a twist of one of Arwen's dresses from TTT. I have a pic of it in my gallery. Its long and pretty. There is a cloak, but its not pictured. ^_^

I would love to try to make Arwen's funeral dress from TTT. The one she wears in her vision of the future. I think it would be so pretty. I like how it looked in the film. Maybe one of these days. ^_^

I was watching the extended edition of TTT today and thought the same thing. ^_^

I also want to cosplay some of the dresses from Return of the King.

DarkindDreamer
12-29-2003, 12:42 AM
**sigh**
i want Elrond's new robe.. from ROTK.. but i have a feeling it will not happen.. plus i've only worn the one o have like twice... :(

Garuda_Aiacos
12-29-2003, 12:35 PM
Heheheee, my list of LOTR Costumes to do rite now for myself and a friend or 2 is getting way beyond the among I can handle. They are all so beautiful!

Am whipping myself to give up on those that I hasn't done a single research on or gotten part of the material needed for sanity sake. ;)

For now, got to finish the beading work on my Arwen Mourning Dress. Then off to start on the Lothlorien March Warden and Elven Archer for 2 local events here and since I'll be all made by myself, it will be gentle on my wallet.

The-Real-Link
12-29-2003, 05:20 PM
Gren - Legolas's jerkin is tan!

*grins* Yes you are right, or atleast more right than I was to do a Legolas interpretation, however I had absolutely nothing on me to claim a Legolas cosplay. As it was I had only enough time to throw my tunic on cause we got to the movies late, (and went to a later show) but it was actaully more of an elvish interpretation... Either way tons of fun and we got so many looks from people in the mall!

Another interesting thing was sitting in a theatere for 4 hours wearing a tunic...a little hot but whoever said cosplay is easy? :)

Thanks for the suggestions, I will strongly take them into consideration a year or 2 from now ^_^

Adella
01-04-2004, 03:11 PM
*grins* Yes you are right, or atleast more right than I was to do a Legolas interpretation, however I had absolutely nothing on me to claim a Legolas cosplay. As it was I had only enough time to throw my tunic on cause we got to the movies late, (and went to a later show) but it was actaully more of an elvish interpretation... Either way tons of fun and we got so many looks from people in the mall!

Another interesting thing was sitting in a theatere for 4 hours wearing a tunic...a little hot but whoever said cosplay is easy? :)

Thanks for the suggestions, I will strongly take them into consideration a year or 2 from now ^_^

Legolas's jerkin can be any multitude of colors, it's neither green, nor tan. It has no defined color. So either color choice is an accurate one.

Lemenya
01-06-2004, 02:48 AM
Who In Here Cosplays As Replica Nazguls?

Sarcasm-hime
01-06-2004, 03:30 AM
I made Arwen's BR (Blood Red) dress for the Gathering of the Fellowship, but unfortunately don't have any good pics right now as some jerk stole my digicam during the movie. *sigh* So eventually I'll have pics.....

It's kind of funny that my hair is actually *too long* for Arwen. Don't care though, as any costume where I don't have to wear a wig is a blessing. XD

And I'd love to see somebody do the Hope dress...it's not done often (if at all), unlike some of her other dresses (like the BR....lol).

Lemenya
01-06-2004, 01:47 PM
That Would Be Cool To See :)

A J
01-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Who In Here Cosplays As Replica Nazguls?

Is there a difference between being a replica nazgul and just a nazgul in general? =)

I serve the Spotlight of Doom (TM). LOL. (Anyone else think Sauron looked like a spotlight in ROTK...?)

-AJ

Lemenya
01-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Is there a difference between being a replica nazgul and just a nazgul in general? =)

I serve the Spotlight of Doom (TM). LOL. (Anyone else think Sauron looked like a spotlight in ROTK...?)

-AJ

No i guess there anit i ment like if you go all out and craft steal armour and all... and yes sauron did look like a spot light XD lol

Garuda_Aiacos
01-09-2004, 12:34 AM
It's kind of funny that my hair is actually *too long* for Arwen. Don't care though, as any costume where I don't have to wear a wig is a blessing. XD

Heck! Same case with my hair too as it reaches my rear.

But balding is getting on my nerve these days that the last time I went for a makeup and hair styling for the Costume Parade here, the makeover artist told me she can't do any styling of my hair like Eowyn's or Arwen cause I have balding spots. :lost: Then again, I need not pay the $30 extra. :thumbsup:

But will cut my hair to very short as soon as I get for myself a wig that suited for Arwen. Forsee a lot of Wig wearing this year as I want to do some blonde arrogant elf and his brother. ;)

Garuda_Aiacos
01-09-2004, 12:41 AM
No i guess there anit i ment like if you go all out and craft steal armour and all... and yes sauron did look like a spot light XD lol

Well, IMHO, as long as Gloves (armored will be best), boots (armored will be best), faceless mask or headless, a couple of layers of robes and a sword are worn, the ringwraith had done a good job. ;)

I've seen too many half-pass six ringwraith here to last me a lifetime. :eeek: Even my Ringwraith No. 5 turned out better than these people with the addition of my friend's Hogwarts Robe without the patch (Ps: I'm still working on my Ringwraith as wasn't happy with how it turned out for the Dec event. It's was horrible tho' I fit the above critias :waaaah: )

Adella
01-09-2004, 06:46 AM
I made Arwen's BR (Blood Red) dress for the Gathering of the Fellowship, but unfortunately don't have any good pics right now as some jerk stole my digicam during the movie. *sigh* So eventually I'll have pics.....

And I'd love to see somebody do the Hope dress...it's not done often (if at all), unlike some of her other dresses (like the BR....lol).

...don't cosplay Arwen.. cosplay Luthien or Melian. Those two > Arwen. You're hair is the most amazing thing I've ever seen, and I'm obsessed with loving it. Elves naturally love and praise long hair, so if you did Luthien Tinuviel that would RULE so much, and she had very long dark hair. :heart: :heart: I really pretty girl did Goldberry I saw on cosplaylab, and if you did Luthien my eyes would remain as hearts forever.

Sarcasm-hime
01-10-2004, 03:22 AM
LOL as if I need *more* cosplay ideas...hehe

*goes and rereads the Silmarillion.........*

Princess_Hotaru
01-11-2004, 06:40 PM
I'm quite late, aren't I? x.x; Okay, I would probably want to do Dernhelm..^^; Or maybe Eowyn's white wool gown..

Adella
01-11-2004, 07:25 PM
Dernhelm :heart:

YES SARCASM HIME!!!! BE LUTHIEN!!! ;-; or omg you be Melian and I'll be Luthien! Or something! X___X;

Silly_Kitsune
01-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Haha I was skimming this thread and Aeris mentioned a Goldberry on cosplaylab, I think that was me (Name of Kit? haha I dunno XD). Everyone should cosplay the little characters!!

Garuda_Aiacos
01-12-2004, 08:20 AM
Or characters in the most unlikely colors they'll wear?

Galadriel in Lavender anyone? :D

duck
01-12-2004, 01:12 PM
I want to do a ringwraith costume, just for the sake of having a little five foot ringwraith running around. It'll be the baby ringwraith of doom.

Actually, I want to do a Wormtongue costume and the amount of detail makes me go squeeeblah.

And YES. I was definitely thinking "Hmmmm...Sauron looks like a followspot" during all the shifty eye parts.

evilchii
01-12-2004, 10:24 PM
i have a random elf dress in the making just because i needed an excuse to do some hand beading.

and i agree with cosplaying the little characters. i'm trying to get my friend to make a Prince of Dol Amroth costume, he was reluctant till i told him he could carry around a large sword.

Sarcasm-hime
01-12-2004, 11:58 PM
I want to do a ringwraith costume, just for the sake of having a little five foot ringwraith running around. It'll be the baby ringwraith of doom.

Actually, I want to do a Wormtongue costume and the amount of detail makes me go squeeeblah.

And YES. I was definitely thinking "Hmmmm...Sauron looks like a followspot" during all the shifty eye parts.

I think Wormtongue's costume may be one of the coolest and most detailed in the movie. It's subtle, though, so you don't necessarily notice. But I got to see it up close at the exhibit in Toronto last year, and wowza! all the cool ruching....*sigh*

I love the "WTF!?!" moment when Frodo puts on the ring and Sauron's eye widens and zooms around....hehe

Sana-chan
01-13-2004, 07:42 AM
I've done Legolas and I've been wanting to do Pippin and Gollum for the longest time lol. I'm sure the Gollum costume would be the harder of the two. I saw one person who cosplayed as Gollum and he/she (couldn't tell lol) was amazing.

Dual Weilder
01-15-2004, 06:28 PM
^^ I have an Eowyn dress, but I really want to make her dress from the coronation (as well as the Dernhelm armor- but that'll be a while...). I'm also planning to make a Frodo costume.
One of my friend's really wants to make a costume of Smeagol from the beginning of RotK, does anyone know where we could find pictures or have suggestions about making the costume?

LOTR costumes rule!

evilchii
01-15-2004, 07:48 PM
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/

this place is either the best or at least one of the best resources for lotr costume research, enjoy!

Garuda_Aiacos
01-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Join the ML too for faster and more personal help. ;)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOTR_Costume

pyrosam
01-19-2004, 01:51 PM
excuse me but WHERE CAN I FIND SOME EARS TO WHERE!!!!!!!!!

thank you...

Garuda_Aiacos
01-20-2004, 12:48 PM
It'll depend on what kind of Ears are you looking for.

Some people choose to just use the ones sold by Rubies.

Some people don't mind the Cinema Secrets Woochies Space Ear Tips (I uses it for my group members and I was lucky some had helped me get it from USA). It's available at many Halloween/Party Stores or can be gotten online from CinemaSecrets Website or eBay or some sellers.

Some people choose to buy a more accurate ones or of specific type. ACS-LOTR has a list of online sellers selling the Ears (under Buying It; can't get the direct link on my website currently).

Gale
01-21-2004, 07:25 AM
lol....i'm wearing my samwise costume THIS VERY SECOND! lol....(it's costume day at school and my teacher is out, and i'm done with my work, so i'm online, :thumbsup: )

and speaking of ears and such....(which i forgot to put on this morning! >.<) anyone know where i can get hobbit feet?? other than to have a realistic wig, its the last touch for my costume!

Garuda_Aiacos
01-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Check ACS-LOTR for some links or ways to make one. ;)
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Buyit/Makeup.htm#BHF

Arrow
01-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Oh boy ... I want so badly to make a Galadriel costume. Her white gown(s) are so gorgeous and I love white ... she's my absolute favorite character from the Lord of the Rings movies (because I haven't/can't read the books), and Cate Blanchett was so incredibly awesome. Oy ... beautifulness.

Elves and ethereal beings are my ultimate favorite fantasy characters (usually, of course). I just can't get over the grace, purity, and virtue of them all (or most of them anyway, lol). And Galadriel's wisdom and character is magnanimous. Wow. Lol. Yes, very taken with the idea of cosplaying Galadriel.

I think I need to go calm myself down now, lol.

Arrow
01-27-2004, 03:17 PM
AlleyCatScratch.com is a godsend.

Luthien
01-27-2004, 05:28 PM
http://www.lederkram.de/afhdrengl.html This place some hobbit feet, but I am not sure of the price or the quality. My friend has purchased the elf ears and she says enjoys them. Hopefully the hobbit feet would be of good quality too. ^^ But like everyone said before, alleycatscratch is full of great links.

Garuda_Aiacos
01-27-2004, 07:42 PM
I heard from the ML that the German Seller had stopped taking international orders for now so your best bet is to e-mail them first to ask. The shipping rates to USA is provided at their website tho'.

I'm gonna get my 2nd pair of Elven ears from them as soon as my PayPal Account get activated again. :( Wish I had a proper Debit Card so can be verified.

allyunion
01-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Does Spirit Gum or whatever that thing is called, hurt after trying to take off the ears?

Mental note: Must remind to post my Frodo costume in the near future... hmmm... er... once I get my Leaf Brooch. ;)

Luthien
01-27-2004, 08:14 PM
I had no idea the German Seller stopped taking international orders. ;-; Oh how sad. I was so looking foward to purchasing them when I had the money..I suppose E-mail would be the best way to make sure though. *nods nods* I was thinking of trying this site for ears, but I'm not sure.. http://www.hightowercrafts.com/page33.html

*hisses at her own paypal account* I had something similar to that happen recently..

From my own personal experience, yes it does hurt; a lot! ;-; I had to use Spirit Gum remover in order to take off my elf ears. Call it learning the hard way, but I wouldn't recommend pulling them off. Then again, my friend can just rip them off his ears and he's fine. o.O;

Anele
01-28-2004, 10:28 AM
For those Elven / Hobbit costume people: does anybody want to buy my spirit gum & remover set off me (to use with your ears)? I bought it because I thought I was going to need it for Elf ears of my own, and turns up I never had the chance to. It's still in it's original packaging (unopened).

Garuda_Aiacos
01-28-2004, 11:01 AM
My friends and I just gently pull it off our ears (I use the one provided by the German Seller). They only need to wash their ear tips with soap and water while me wipe my ears clean with the Spirit Gum Remover. The scratching off the glue from my ears is kinda fun tho. :p

Sarcasm-hime
01-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Oh, for the love of Gord, do NOT use Spirit Gum! It's ancient technology! *lol* What you want is Pros-Aide, which is what the professionals use (I have a friend who's a makeup artist...and I used it for my Arwen ears which didn't budge all day). Holds much better...just make sure to get the remover. ^_^

allyunion
01-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Some of us do not have access to the resources that others do....