PDA

View Full Version : questions for the *ladies* (doa cosplay)

Ayaka
01-11-2003, 05:09 AM
That topic is gonna bring the guys in here, isn't it . . . GO AWAY, boys, you won't find this interesting anyway. It might destroy your illusions about women, lol. Okay, I give up, I gotta ask. I'm doing an Ayane costume from Dead or Alive 2. (I'm attaching a pic). My plan is to alter an existing leotard, no big deal there except picking the one that I think will work best. And yes, I am going to cut out the front. I'm not 100% sure what will happen if I do that, but I'm going to give it a shot. So I have two questions. This is embarassing but here goes . . .

1) VPL. This is going to be my first time wearing something quite this clingy; that skirt bit is open at the back. And I do not want VPL! So, do I need a thong (>.<)? Dancer's underwear?

2) Boobies. Honestly, I'm not really THAT bothered by having an outfit with an open front. But, well, I'll be straightforward - Ayane is like a DD. I am NOT. I'm not totally flat-chested, but I'm hardly "built". Let's put it this way, I'm a one-Ace bandage crossplayer, lol. Normally, you can fix that with a bra. (*evil laughter*) But, if this is open in front, out go the "special" bras; it's "petals" or cutting those stick on things, right (plus toupee tape so what I do have doesn't fall out)? Neither of which will do much more than make me not feel nude.

So, do you think I should sacrifice one kind of accuracy for another, and put in a flesh-colored panel in the front of the outfit so that I can wear a "special" bra? I don't know if I'm being silly about the whole thing; but I have paranoid fears of people being down on my less-than-impressive endowment, even though I know very few real women are built like Ayane. >< I know from the feminist point of view, it's a silly dillemma; but as a cosplayer, I do worry about these sort of things (and at 4AM, yep). I've been wondering about the "ethics" of using special bras for well-endowed characters already . . . There were other Ayane costumes I could have chosen, but I'm kinda on a deadline; this one is simple, and I *do* like it, despite my limited desire to be an exhibitionist.

Any opinions appreciated . . .

Karisu-sama
01-11-2003, 05:48 AM
Hmm...nothing wrong with a flesh-colored panel, many people do it to give the right "look" when they do not actually want to be that skimpy. (Someone whose name escapes me at the moment did an awesome Peorth at Ani-magic - with a flesh-colored full body-stocking underneath. It worked great.)

A lot of those "stick on" thingies do more than cover, they "lift" to get the in-a-bra look and provide cleavage, and there are "padded" versions to "add cup size".

Sciguy
01-11-2003, 01:24 PM
Sorry for coming in because I'm a guy, but I live with two women and I know exactly what you mean.

The flesh colored panal seems like a good idea because it's cheap and not particularly noticable. If you feel like spending the money, perhaps one of those latex breasts with a little bit of makeup and costume glue (it'll hold skin and latex together, but isn't a pain to remove) to make the seams disappear.

The VPL, there's another odd problem. I guess a thong would eliminate the problem, but I'm told that they're uncomfortable. I guess that you could find a pair of panties the right shape so that they match the leotard seams, Then, you could do some loose stitching or pinning to hold the two seams together. That way, your panty-line will be hidden by the seam (or hem?) of the leotard.

I hope I lended some kind of aid! Viel Glück!

Ayaka
01-11-2003, 04:13 PM
Karisu - I didn't know the sticky things came in a padded version, I've never had call to buy them so . . . ^^ Guess I should go out and have a look at my options. Victoria's Secret, maybe?

The panel would have another advantage though, it IS gonna be kind of cold at Katsucon!

Sciguy - loose stitching to hold the undies? That is an interesting idea . . .

Thanks, both of you ^^

Lady
01-11-2003, 04:22 PM
For the VPL I'd say wear a g-string rather than a thong. A g-string has a very thin strip of elastic in the back rather than a thick piece like a thong. I wear Maidenform brand g-strings, and they're very comfortable*nods* Your bum will feel a little bare when you first wear one, but you'll get used to it after a bit.

As for the cleavage, you might be surprised how much you can get with average sized breasts. If you add in some padding to the sides, the form of the top will actually help pull your breasts towards the center. Adding the padding will also help push them together, and can help fill out the front part. Then using some sort of tape as mentioned, you can make sure that nothing pops out at an inopportune time*nods*

Hope it helps!

-Lady

cutekawaii
01-12-2003, 12:07 AM
I say, don't worry about the boobs. I cosplayed Mileena from MK. Her outfit has an open front and she's VERy well endowed, and I'm just average, and no one said a thing. I also didn't need any type of tape or anything to keep me in place. Everything stayed in fine. As long as you make it tight and form fitting (use them darts!) enough, everything should stay. Adding padding to the sides WILL help a lot, though.

whats vpl anyway?

Ayaka
01-12-2003, 12:17 AM
Lady - G-string, huh? I admit that I did not know the difference between a g-string and a thong, lol.

Padding on the sides seems like a good idea as well . . . hmm. Guess I'll see what I can get my hands on. And I think I need the tape, just in case, since she is a character from a fighting game I want to make sure I don't make things any more "interesting" when I'm posing. I just don't want to have to worry much about the costume leaving without me. ^^;;;

Cutekawaii - VPL = Visible Panty Line. And I love the new handpuppet theater quote. XD

Haruka
01-12-2003, 12:43 AM
wow! i totally forgot about that costume! XD i really love Ayane, and i cosplayed has her too..and well, i have like no boobies, but that really didnt bother me mutch *shruggs* i mean really...who in this world has breast like that? Id agree on the thong..yeah they will feel wierd at first, but you get used to it quickly....im not really a big fan of using that flesh colored fabric in costumes ( ^_^;;) well, unless the character is really nekkid hehe...i would suggest leaving it open like in the original pick, but just get some duct tape, roll it up and put it under the fabric...im sure that would keep everything in place..*nods*

RyuHayabusaDOA2
01-12-2003, 12:51 AM
those are very good suggestions too. I'm a guy coming in here, and I'm not going to make a comment that would basically end with the ladies screaming with "DIE!, Ryu!". I also recommend a wonderbra and padding too. at least that would give the illusion of a "bigger" chest. :D

peaseblossom
01-12-2003, 01:13 AM
Lady said what I was going to say. Thongs= ouch, G-strings = far more comfy. You can barely feel g-strings. Victoria's secret sells some really nice stick on bras. I think I have a whole package (unused of course) of VS flesh colored stick on bras in a size B. Get ahold of me if you want them. ^_^

A J
01-12-2003, 03:00 AM
Oh wow, go you Ayaka! :) I'm totally bonding with you on that not-having-enough-chest problem. I just finished sewing a push up bra into my katsu costume... my roommate still thinks i need more padding. *wail* LOL :)

Looking at that costume, you could put some sort of padding under the fabric that goes around the waist. Was that clear? :) Those sticky push up things would probably work. I saw them for sale at JC Penny when I was shopping for a push up bra. ;) A push up bra (or any bra actually) wouldn't work because of the cut of the top...

Good luck! :)

Ayaka
01-12-2003, 03:56 PM
Haruka - Yah, I remember your most excellent Ayane. Didn't you win an award or something? *tries to remember* I'm not sure I follow you about the duct tape though.

Ryu - I value honesty, lol! Course, then I'd kill you . . . but I'd value your opinion. :D

Peaseblossom - Oooh they come in flesh-colored? Somehow I thought they'd be white or something . . . guess I need to go lingerie shopping lol.

AJ - Don't listen to your roommate about the padding, lol. You've done Pirotess, right? Guess you didn't have any padding under there, huh? (Not that it mattered, I'm sure no one complained!)

A J
01-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Oh i totally forgot! If you're worried about fabric moving, apparently gymnasts use this body glue stuff to hold their leotards in place so they don't get uh... wedgies basically... with all the movement they do. Ballerinas don't have to worry about this because they wear tights but gymnasts don't wear tights.

So my friend was telling she used to use this spray on adhesive that holds the leotard in place. That's all I know about it but I bet you could ask around at some gymanstic supply place for it. That would take care of the leotard moving...

Sciguy
01-12-2003, 04:45 PM
*bonks himself in the head* of course, that's an old trick that girls in beauty pageants use. They use a little hairspray to keep their bathing suits from riding up. That should keep a leotard in place, too, and it should be handy.

And I wouldn't know about thing vs. G-Strings, lol.

RyuHayabusaDOA2
01-12-2003, 07:08 PM
Ayaka: thanks. :D now do I have to be fearful for my life if i see you at AX? :p I hope you can do Rain and Ayane.

Yuna
01-12-2003, 09:54 PM
If you're that self consious about your chest you could always modify a bra then sew it to the leotard. I know many people who do that whole build in bra thing.

Ayaka
01-12-2003, 10:36 PM
Hrm, body glue . . . sounds like it might be simpler than toupee tape. I'm heading to the dance/gymnastics/etc shop this week, so I'll look for that.

Ryu - Yep, FEAR ME. Muahahah. *cannot WAIT to intimidate people as Ashram*

I think I'd have to modify an existing bra pretty heavily so it wouldn't show, though as was suggested, I might be able to hide some stuff with the cumberbund/waistband.

A J
01-12-2003, 11:32 PM
Here's another idea, for my costume, I got a bra with a front fastener since it's going inside a bodice. I sewed it to the inside of my bodice and cut off the sections that would show.

In your case, you could cut off the entire middle section and replace it with clear vinyl to hold it in place. You can get clear vinyl really cheap at JoAnns.

After that, I'm all out of ideas. =)

*Shiva*
01-12-2003, 11:56 PM
Ohh - neat costume. I can't wait to see how it turns out.
My opinion? As a girl with relatively larger breasts, I've always envied smaller chested people when it comes to skimpy costumes - the less you have, the less you have to worry about it all falling out! ;) If I were you, I wouldn't add anything - I've never thought chest size impacted the accuracy of the costume, and it would make it easier to wear. But if you really want to add, I'd just do whatever makes you more comfortable.

As for the VPL, I'd def. give the gymnastic spray a try. If it works, it seems to be the easiest solution. If nothing else works, however, (and the color of your leotard allows, that is) you could try the dancer thing and go for tights and no underwear - in my dancing experience I've never been allowed to wear underwear underneath a costume, and although strange at first, its not a real modesty issue with tights and a leotard on over your skin. Plus, no VPL!

RyuHayabusaDOA2
01-13-2003, 07:58 PM
Ayaka: well, I guess I will fear ya! :D*runs to his MS Sazabi* well, I hope you can do it. You going to put pics in your gallery as the costume is a work in progress? :D

Ayaka
01-13-2003, 11:58 PM
AJ - That was plenty of ideas, thanks ^^

Shivablizzard - Thanks for the advice ^^ I may try it au naturalle . . . it MIGHT actually be more comfortable, since I'll have tights on, after all.

Ryu - Everyone learns to fear me sooner or later. *evil laugh* Which costume, the in progress pics? (I DO need to get something in my gallery besides wallpapers . . . ^^;;;)