PDA

View Full Version : Going as Manga-Only Charas

Nadeshiko
01-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Has anyone had this cosplay experience?

I have. ^_^; I cosplayed as Koto from White Waltz. The colors were specific hence the title, "Waltz in a White Dress."

But for manga only titles that haven't been animized or had have an artbook come out, has anyone done so? Are you creative with colors? Or stick to black, white, and greys? Just wondering...^^;

Cocoa
01-11-2003, 02:43 PM
I haven't yet, but will be doing so. I'm helping one of my friends with a costume for Anime Boston, and she's being Hokuto Sumeragi from Tokyo Babylon, in one of the manga outfits. I think we decided on red and black, so she matches our Subaru (who's got an outfit that there HAS been a color version of). It would be really intresting if you got a group of people together to all do the same manga costume, only each in a different color...
-Cocoa

Ayaka
01-11-2003, 03:09 PM
I'm doing two, really; Katou from Angel Sanctuary has been animated, but not that outfit. Still, I'm going to be with a group, I'm sure people will know the series. As for colors, I'm just kind of going with my first impression of what they were; without really thinking about it, I'd colorized it in my head while I was reading. I was under the strong impression that this part was green, etc. ^^; I think the best you can do is see if you have any impressions like that, and if not, maybe the mangaka has another series that has color images so you can see what their taste is like. Or, you can just make it whatever color you like/will look good in . . .

Wait, I'm doing three. lol. The other two are both quite obscure, manga-only; but, I'm terribly lucky: I have color images for both. They both have colorized first pages.

Oshidori
01-11-2003, 03:25 PM
I will be for Katsucon! I'll be going as Herb from Ranma , and my cohort Margaux will also be a manga only character from the same series. I'll let her tell you what she'll be going as; i'm sure she'll want to ^_^

MargauxZ
01-11-2003, 03:40 PM
Heh heh heh, you could have.

I'll be going as this fine lady right here:

Makoto
01-11-2003, 09:31 PM
I've had good luck and bad luck with manga-only characters, but I LOVE manga and it never gets the attention it deserves in cosplay. Good luck in the form that I get to draw serious attention to under-appreciated series, bad luck in that after I finish the costume, a new volume comes out with changes in the outfit design. XD Manga designs are definitely less static than anime, which just makes them that much more fun!

In the manga "E'S", many of the designs are military uniforms, and the one I chose to do had no color references at all... but I chose colors based upon other uniforms that were close to it, and had fun with it like I thought my character would have. ^_^ In "Flame of Recca", Aoi had a magical wrap-around skirt that somehow didn't overlap at all, yet didn't split open when he moved. Not cool! So I made it to the best of my ability to look wrap-around but actually be joined together... then by volume 32, Anzai-sensei had changed the design to be a full two-layered skirt. XD Darn it! ^_^

I'm planning a cosplay from "Boku no Suki na Sensei" which is entirely B&W, no artbooks and very few color references, none of which are the character I'm cosplaying. ;) But the kanji in her name translate to "Red Flower", so rather than stick with grey-tones, I'm going to brighten it up with red accents, as it seems appropriate. ^_^

I'm always the #1 banner-waving fan of manga cosplay. So many people are looking for ways to be more creative with their cosplay, but never seem to look towards manga, which you can really personalize! Have fun with it, express yourself through your character, and be prepared to answer the question "Who are you supposed to be?" a WHOLE lot. XD

MikigamiTokiya
01-11-2003, 09:36 PM
If you end up making a costume that's manga only bring a picture of it w/ you to the con incase people ask or you enter the masquerade so judges know who you're trying to be. I'm making a couple manga only ones but I haven't decided what kind of a color scheme. Somethign intersting to do would be to stick to the greys and blacks and just paint your skin white XD;; ok yeah that idea just humors me. It apparently works w/ black paint because I've seen it done w/ the Utena Shadow girls.

Michi
01-11-2003, 09:49 PM
MikigamiTokiya -- There were a human Luna & Artemis pair all in black and white, including white makeup on their bodies... and had signs that they were the manga versions. XD Since Human Artemis, at least, is never in the anime. ^_^ They were at AX a couple of years back.

That is mad cool that you guys're doing Herb and Rouge from Ranma 1/2. I considered Rouge once. ^^ I want photos!!

I have a few manga only/manga design outfits planned. I just can't think of them right now because I'm very braindead. X_X

Cait
01-11-2003, 11:52 PM
I never have, but I think I might be the only one I know in my cosplay circle not to have.... it sounds nice.

One of my clan has also developed a love for cosplaying costumes appearing only manga artbooks. Crazy, but pretty!

MikigamiTokiya
01-11-2003, 11:54 PM
Herb and Rouge do sound cool! I can't wait to see. I wanna see that luna and Artemis too now *_* i'm not a sailor moon fan but i'm curious ;o;

Tenshi
01-12-2003, 12:33 AM
I did a Pretear costume that is only in the anime a split-second, but has a large portion of the manga dedicated to it (Plant Pretear). It didn't really turn out, so it'll probably never be seen in public ^^;;. I'm tempted to do more manga-only Pretear costumes since there are some pretty nice designs, but no one even recognizes the anime versions! ~~;;.

Oshidori
01-12-2003, 12:42 AM
That is mad cool that you guys're doing Herb and Rouge from Ranma 1/2. I considered Rouge once. ^^ I want photos!!

senk yuu! We both atten FIT, so we both have all of this month off for winter vacation, and you bet your sweet ass we've been working like madwomen to do right by these costumes! Hopefully we'll pull it off and do them justice, they'll be the pinnacle of our fanaticism for the creative genius that is Rumiko Takahashi. Thanks for boosts guys!! :D

artemis316
01-12-2003, 02:37 AM
FYI: This Artemis will be doing (hopefully) a Human Artemis costume at AX, along w/ another person doing Human Luna, if things all go well. *Looks over to Kitty...* ^.^

Shoot...all this time I've been in Sailor JAM-boree as the group's stage ninja/cat advisor, I've had the urge to do him for some time and they've been pushing me to do so, so yeah...this year, it's the year of the White Cat, LOL! XD~

mandichan
01-12-2003, 12:19 PM
Hahaha, I've done this too much ^_^ I dressed as Risa from DNAngel, and at the time there was only 1 color pic of her in the outfit I wanted, but the colors in it were obviously wrong, since it had black where there was white in the manga ^_^ So I sort of combined those colors with the manga colors... ~_~ I got recognised like, once, but I still like the costume myself, that's what counts to me >:D

And I did Umi from Katte ni Kaizou, which is a relatively obscure comic to begin with, and its not her usual outfit either.. ^_^;; Got recognised once, but by someone I already knew T_T But I still love it, because I can curse people with it!!!! >:D

And there's more manga only costumes I wanna do~~ Yumiko-chan from Ahiru no ouji-sama, Mizuki from Fun Fun Factory, Koi wa LSI Jun from Kaizou... Recently I've been reading so much more manga then watching anime, I guess that's why ^_^

Manga costumes are fun though, don't be discouraged, just wear them for your own enjoyment!!! XD

Nadeshiko
01-12-2003, 11:48 PM
Michi - I so remember them! They would say nothing during the con, and they held up signs. ^^

I have a few manga type cosplays in mind. There's a few Chiho Saitou manga charas I'd love to do. Playing with color sounds like a nice idea.

Here's another question...
How about characters that only have one picture of themselves (ie artbook) and the rest is never shown? I'm talking about the numerous Card Captor Sakura images in the artbooks, and others relating to that.

I'd had that experience with Nadeshiko to figure out how long the dress should go. Plus, it doesn't show her shoes, so I went for floor length and wore some comfy shoes undernearth. At J-Expo, I was talking to a girl who did a CCS cosplay and had to improvise the bottom part of it. I'm having this issue with a Wink cosplay. What is Wink? It's an early 1990s J-pop duo. They recorded a very 80ish "Sugar Baby Love." I really want to do their Queen of Love album cover outfits, yet it only shows them half. Given that it's an early 1990s dress, I'm most likely going to cut it short and wear these gold shoes I got at a vintage store.

I'm post happy tonite. ^^

Hikaruchan
01-13-2003, 01:01 AM
I have got several costumes I am working on that only are manga or have 1 artbook pic of. Most have official colors (the Five Star Stories ones doing or considering), but 2 do not that I know of (Fushigi Yuugi and Cantarella). For one of the 2 will use colors that the character wore in other outfits that know the colors, the other will have to pic colors for.

Makoto
01-13-2003, 01:07 AM
Cantarella cosplay=I will love you forever. XD

I would love to do one of Lucrezia's dresses, I think I could pull her off with far more success than any of Higuri-sensei's other female protagonists... but the expenditure is a bit much at the moment to do it properly, so I'll wait until I'm really ready. And hope springs eternal for a follow-up to Poison as well... ^_^

Hikaruchan
01-13-2003, 02:49 AM
Makoto,

Do you know of any color pics of Lucrezia or Vanozza from Cantarella? There are several dresses I am interested in doing - but have no colored pics of them.

Radical Urd
01-13-2003, 11:49 AM
PARADISE KISS!!!!!!!!!!!!! My favorite Manga I will be going as Miwako my favorite pink haired, cutie in DA WORLD!!!!!!! I'll make the costume of her in her night outfit, with the yellow sweater, those pink panties and bra and that earing that goes to her ear to her navel its so CUTE!!!! And also Serafic Feather i'll be making more costumes for that, as Fawn.
PS: Doesn't this thread go in the Manga costume forumn????? o_O

Makoto
01-13-2003, 07:05 PM
Hikaru-san,

Other than the half-shot of Lucrezia on the cover of volume 4 (http://www.jttk.zaq.ne.jp/higuri/dtig/tankoubon/canta.htm), I can't think of a single colored image, I'm afraid. Not any of Vanozza at all. ;_; I believe you'll be entirely on your own, as the series art focuses so much on Cesare, and in general her girls tend to hover in the background covered in flowers and flowing hair. >_< Wish I could be of more help. Considering the intense research that Higuri-sensei does, it might be helpful to look through some Renaissance art to find references she might have used...

Hikaruchan
01-13-2003, 07:25 PM
Makoto,

I thought so, been trying to find color images to no avail. Of course, when I do make this then an artbook will come out and shoot my color choices down. Right now thinking of jewel tones of blue or red for main dresses with white & gold accents for Vanozza and maybe a dusky pink or light blue for young Lucrezia with white & gold accents.

Makoto
01-14-2003, 12:33 AM
Those colors sound marvelous! ^_^ I've always connected gold with Vanozza, probably as a sub-conscious "warmth", and I'm sure a rich color would look great as her gown. (I never seem to be able to cosplay anyone not wearing blue or green myself, it's becoming a running joke... I'm determined to change that one way or another! [wink])

michanchan
01-14-2003, 10:16 PM
I'm thinking of doing a "Wish" cosplay, being Master Kokryu. There's a few pics in color, but he just looks weird when he's colored. T.T i wish it was an anime though, it'd be so cute to see Nekoi's artwork come to life.

Hikaruchan
03-31-2003, 05:58 PM
Well, I went and bought a lovely dark green material for a Cantarella Lucrezia and it will have gold and pearl accents. And even though its not the same costume, finally came across a second color Lucrezia drawing today - and she is wearing green, gold and white with blue-ish pearls (http://www.jttk.zaq.ne.jp/higuri/ ) . Yaa, even though its a different outfit at least my color choices are in the ballpark.

Sarcasm-hime
04-01-2003, 02:12 AM
For Anime North I'm making a Hyakurin costume from Blade of the Immortal (am I the *only* person who reads this incredible manga?!?). I expect lots of blank stares...

Hikaruchan
04-01-2003, 09:56 AM
Yes, I'm not expecting anyone to recognize my Lucrezia, unless they do so from knowing from here eventually I will have another dark green costume.

Nikol
04-02-2003, 06:10 PM
At Otakon I'm going as Byakko in his human from Yami no Mastuei, and although it had been animated (and now being relase in the US), Byakko is seen in the manga as a human.

I'm sticking to black and white with blue as an accent color just not to get myself confused while making it... also in his animal form he has a blue-ish air ball thingy as a weapon...

I honestly don't expect many people to know who I am but I really don't care...

Makoto
04-03-2003, 11:25 PM
Ooo, new Cantarella, how nice! ^_^ I think I'm TWO volumes behind on that now, I've been so worried about keeping up with the Gorgeous Carat switch... Higuri-sensei is too darned prolific! I'd love to see some photos whenever you get a chance, Hikaruchan~!

Nikol: There are a surprising number of Yamimatsu fans circulating about now, so even as a Shikigami you never know who might recognize you. ;) And Byakko is ADORABLE, so good luck on that!

As for me, "E'S" just got a TV series (http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/es/), so maybe I won't be its only cosplaying fan for long! ^_^

Mako-san
04-06-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Sarcasm-hime
For Anime North I'm making a Hyakurin costume from Blade of the Immortal (am I the *only* person who reads this incredible manga?!?). I expect lots of blank stares...

Yeah! Blade of the Immortal is one of the best mangas! Its sooo good!
My manga costumes so far this year is
Asuka (terroist Ninja) from Samurai Girl Real Bout High School ( I love this manga its my absolute fav!)
and I'm doing a Five Star Story, one of the nights!

I have done characters from the artbooks, like angel Sanctuary, and such!

arisuchan
04-06-2003, 12:17 PM
I made a Sara costume from Angel Sanctuary that was based off a black and white picture from the book of a manga (you know where the author does their author's notes) I wavered for awhile over what colors to use and thought about doing it in shades of blue that would hint at her connection to Jibrille, but in the end I decided to stick with all black. I felt that with an AS costume I could get away with it. The only color I had was a little bit of blue on my face.

http://www.rosebride.com/fakewings/sara.html
(if you want to see the one crappy pic i have of it O_o)

and oh! almost forgot what I wanted to say *^^* Nikol I understand where you're coming from!! I bought both of the Yami artbooks at Otakon last year and only the main characters have color illustrations! I have held off cosplaying several Yami characters I wanted to do because i didn't feel motivated enough to pick colors for them.

Nikol
04-06-2003, 01:53 PM
I got pulled into the Byakko thing because my friend is doing Touda. I honeslt have gone though about 5 different color combintions before picking the black, white and blue.

arisuchan, if you end up doing one of the Shinkgami my advice is find out what element they are classified as and use that element's color... Or if they are used in the anime go off of those colors (ie: Suzaku is fire therefore red); Byakko is air but his little air bubles and blue and he's a white tiger, and I'm bias towards blue.

Psychotic Jei
04-06-2003, 06:02 PM
Hyakurin kix arse. I've been meaning to make a Manji costume....or whats his name. The psycho Hyakurin works with. *_*