PDA

View Full Version : Tayuya (from Naruto) cosplay

Sukaira
04-30-2005, 11:13 PM
Okay, I'm going to cosplay as Tayuya for Anime Expo 2005, but I have some questions.

I know this has probably been posted many times before by Orochimaru or Sound ninja cosplayers, but what is the best way to make the purple belt stick up in the air? I've heard wire is good to use, but I'm not so sure. The material I'm using is a 100% cotton rope that I'm dying purple.

Also, do you think it would it look weird if I brought a real flute or should I just make one that looks like hers?

Here's some pictures of her if you need a ref. pic.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/Sukaira27/?action=view&current=tayuyaforet.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/Sukaira27/?action=view&current=tayuya.jpg

waste0fcarb0n
05-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Also, do you think it would it look weird if I brought a real flute or should I just make one that looks like hers?

Like... what do you mean by "real" flute? Like the metal ones ppl play in Band? I really think it'd be cool if you could play it... I mean, sure, if you're going for accuracy, make one that looks like hers.

But I would be truly be impressed by a Tayuya cosplayer who could actually play flute... man... that'd be amazing. But then again, I'm a total Band Geek. :)

DivineSage
05-04-2005, 09:26 PM
You should probably post this in the Naruto costume thread, you'd get more replies. And there's also a tutorial on the purple obi/belt in the thread.

Sailor Fortune
05-04-2005, 09:33 PM
I actually used purple fabric stuffed with spare fabric and cotton to make the rope, and used wire to keep its shape. I was a bit iffy about using real rope, as I had no prior experience with rope in costuming.

For the flute, I think it'd be safer to use a wooden one. Then, you wouldn't have to worry so much about someone killing your real flute. I know those things cost a lot, so I think the extra effort put into either making or buying one would be worth it.

Seeing as you're going to AX, you'll be pretty near to LA. I'm sure the Asian areas of the Orange County have lots of Chinese/Oriental props, including wooden flutes.

Yuup.

janmurphy
05-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Her flute isnt the same as a band flute. For mine I cheated and used an metal pipe with circularr black stickers for the 'holes'. PVC piping is good too, theres lots of websites online about how to make a real flute from PVC pipe. I did that too, for the cons where Im not allowed to bring a metal pipe. And Im not TOO bad at playing it. Its more like a lute really.
Are you doing regular or monster type Tayuya, I have more tips if your doing monster type.