PDA

View Full Version : Linsner's Dawn

peaseblossom
01-12-2003, 07:01 PM
Anyone out there planning on being in the Dawn Look Alike Contest at DragonCon'03? I am having trouble picking which costume of her I should make. >.< All so pretty!

Miyu
01-12-2003, 07:15 PM
my friend Alisa will probably be doing it ^^

peaseblossom
01-12-2003, 07:36 PM
You mean Alisa from alisachan.com, right? If so, she did a great job with the one from the soundtrack cover and the red battlesuit one.

Radical Urd
01-13-2003, 11:17 PM
Wow I'm going to make one for the hell of it and I think I'll do the one with the white top and angel wings from one of the art books. You think it'll look right, a black girl with bright red hair? LOL just kidding

Hikaruchan
01-13-2003, 11:45 PM
One of the Dawn's this year had tan skin, so why not give it a go Urd. I don't have near the figure to dress as Dawn, but I did take pictures of some of the nicer ones I saw. Hoping to restart uploading pics later this week to my site.

peaseblossom
01-16-2003, 12:32 AM
I saw a lot of really nice photos of the Dawn look a likes from this past year. The girl who won could *be* Dawn. She was perfect! Alisa's red battlesuit was pretty darn impressive. I saw a photo of a woman who did that one a few years ago and Alisa blew it out of the water. But the girl who won first place....gah!

Satine
01-22-2003, 04:52 AM
If I ever get to D*C I'll be entering the Dawn contest:) Been mucking about making a white version of her Green battle outfit... I have plans for a really fantastic but simple and emotional cossie/presentation.... so this white costume is really a test run:)

And it's unfinished.. way unfinished if anyone actually sees it in my costume site;)

peaseblossom
01-22-2003, 01:24 PM
Satine: Very cool. Mine is from the Convention Sketchbook (2001)

Satine
01-23-2003, 03:35 AM
peaseblossom: Cool, I won't ask any more as I know people like to keep them under wraps til the big moment;)

peaseblossom
01-24-2003, 12:45 AM
Satine: Yeah, that's my plan. Big secret for the big day. I got an email from Joe Linsner last night. He is so incredibly nice!

Satine
01-24-2003, 01:30 AM
cool:) Yeah he seems a nice guy. I heard all about the various dramas of last years comp, and he had some good things to say:) And he seems really nice on his site:)

Hmmm...maybe I too should email him... hmmmm;)

peaseblossom
01-24-2003, 12:12 PM
Dramas?

I was just emailing him to ask it I could use a link banner that I made out of one of his pictures. He's cool!

Satine
01-25-2003, 03:11 AM
Cool:)

Yeah, I won't go into it, but you might be able to find out by doing a google search. I'm not one for gossip and as I don't know anyone personally involved I have no bias either;)

Things just got personal over who won and who didn't, JML replied about it in someone's journal (apparently it was legit) and the contest is supposed to have more categories this year:)

peaseblossom
01-25-2003, 01:20 PM
Come to think of it, a lot of those chicks looked kinda mad in after show photos.

We should get signs (like in airports!) with our screen names on them and hold 'em up so we can find each other at the contest!

Hikaruchan
01-25-2003, 03:41 PM
Part of the drama was that it was a look-a-like contest, not a costume contest. So, there were some Really nice costumes that were passed over as the wearer didn't come off as "Dawn"-ish to the judges as some of the winners. My two favorite ones didn't win anything. There were some major hurt feelings on some of the girls parts.

peaseblossom
01-25-2003, 06:36 PM
Hikaruchan- Yeah, I read a livejournal today and that seemed to be the case. However, it *is* a Dawn look alike contest rather than an actual costume contest. I think it's great that the judges are looking more at how a girl carries herself rather than how great her costume is.
There were some truly great costumes though!

Satine
01-25-2003, 08:06 PM
Yep:) And apparently that's part of the changes that are being planned, and one prize will be best costume:)

peaseblossom
01-25-2003, 09:34 PM
Ah, cool. That's a neat idea.

kitsunered
02-03-2003, 04:02 PM
I do the contest every year and have since '99. It's a lot of fun, and there's a lot less cattiness than what you usually find in other contests. Dawn has thousands of outfits to choose from, and the biggest gallery I've been able to find is at http://www.angelfire.com/comics/dawnimagenation/ . There's also a livejournal community for contestants at http://www.livejournal.com/users/dawn_lookalikes

Satine
02-03-2003, 06:45 PM
Hey Kitsune it's Pinque from LJ:) I don't think I've seen that angelfire site... there's one on geocities which I've totally forgotten the addy to tat has the costume I am keen to reproduce, mostly because of the emotional impact of it:)

peaseblossom
02-03-2003, 09:48 PM
The less cattiness the better! I will sign up for the look alikes LJ pretty soon. I've just been busy lately! ^_^ I can't wait to talk to all the Dawns!

kitsunered
02-04-2003, 12:59 PM
Hi, Pinque, how are you? :) I like the Anglefire site because it's ~huge~ and has almost every picture of Dawn I've ever seen. I find stuff there all the time I didn't even know exisited.

Peaseblossom, we'll be glad to see you there!

Satine
02-04-2003, 05:48 PM
Yeah I just looked a few and dled them as I hadn't seen them before too:)

Pretty good today, had a bit of a buzz because of:
http://www.geocities.com/lotr_obsessed2931/WhiteWool.html

That's my dress btw:)

Oh and see;) I found another piccie of Dawn with very long hair;) hehehehehe...

Miroku
02-12-2003, 01:21 AM
I remember a couple of years ago one girls Dawn costume consisted of a trench coat, and a couple pieces of electrical tape. It definetely got the attention of most of the guys in the room. The best Dawns are always the ones who look the most like her(even though its supposed to be your own take on Dawn). Some of the winners from the past couple of years have been just incredible looking. The girls, and their costumes.

sarabug
02-13-2003, 07:06 PM
hey! i've been in the lookalike contest for the past two years, and will be doing it as long as i can! it is always sooo much fun, regardless of the drama.....now, i didn't necessarily agree with the judging either, but i had a great time, and that's what it really is all about, most of the girls are really sweet, and know how to ignore all the messy stuff. I can't wait to see the new costumes this year, they just keep getting better!

Kaitou
02-16-2003, 12:08 AM
http://www.elitedatasystems.com/images/pubupload/keldawn.jpg

If anyone's interested, thats me in my five-minute Dawn costume. Its not the same as on her statue - this was her white leotard/jeans/fishnet sleeves/randomly sitting on a US Mailbox costume. Dunno if any one has seen that one. I look alright in the face I guess, but I'd have to lose weight to really compete. I plan to make a better one - Linsner himself saw this pic (via a friend of mine) and recommended that I make a good costume and compete at Dragoncon.

Hikaruchan
02-21-2003, 10:30 PM
I just put up the Dawn pics I tookk at DragonCon if interested
http://www.icosplay.com/dragoncon/dc02p4.html

Miroku
02-22-2003, 01:15 AM
Those pics are pretty cool. They all did a good job on their costumes.

Kaitou
02-25-2003, 12:43 AM
I just wish more women would understand what Linsner said on his page...you don't have to wear skimpy oufits and such to portray the Goddess...Lord knows when I finally get around to competition outfit it won't be. Like the red one though.

Adella
03-07-2003, 08:58 AM
Kaitou. I'm so glad you posted that pic!! ;_; that's my favorite one of you. I think you look exactly like Dawn. More than any other cosplayer I have yet to see.

Satine
04-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Well after several years I'm finally getting my Dawn armour made!
http://pinkdiamond.livejournal.com/tag/dawn

Ahh seems I don't have photos of the bodysuit in my journal yet, must rectify that;)
http://costumes.glittersweet.com/other/bodysuits.htm is where I have so photos so far.