PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst Game Endings

dmdflarekojima
01-12-2003, 09:37 PM
This has probably been posted before but I'd like to know, what are your picks for best and worst ending.

Best: Final Fantasy VII, nothing less than awesome.
Worst: Mega Man X VI, just a terrible, terrible game.

Master Zero
01-13-2003, 12:03 AM
Best game ending: Metal Gear Solid 1&2. Man, these games kept me guessing and actually made me even more of a fan of the genre in general.

Worst game ending: Havent really seen one. I would say FFX, just cuz 1. Tidus is a dream and disappears, and 2. He doesnt end up with the girl.

Shadra D
01-13-2003, 01:55 AM
Best Game Ending: Genso Suikoden 2, because you have a lot of options as to whether you get the happy ending, not-so-happy, sad, or even an early ending before you even get close to the end!

Worst Game Ending: I'd say Suikoden III if only because of what happens to my favorite character, but it was actually a fitting ending, no matter how much I wish it didn't happen. For this I would have to say SaGa Frontier (Specifically, Blue's viewpoint). I loved the game, but some of the endings were just awful.. Blue's ends midway through the boss battle n.n; it just.. ends.. and the credits roll. You don't even win or lose in your mission *dies*

Whisper
01-13-2003, 01:39 PM
!Spoilers!
------------

Worst Ending: Armored Core. After all of the crap and conspiracies you go through you're treated to a 15 second ending with little more than a computer blowing up. Woo.

Best Ending: I don't know. It's a toss up between Persona 2: Eternal Punishment and Final Fantasy X. Persona 2 because you get to see a return to normalcy after the many personal hells your characters go/put themselves through. Simple and refreshing after 100+ hours. Final Fantasy X just because it was a change from the everyone wins endings and we see things begin to change for the better. Of course, now there's X-2. Go save Tidus.

Ranma Saotome
01-13-2003, 01:43 PM
Best: SMB 3 (Nintendo)
Worst: Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis)

Sakura
01-13-2003, 03:27 PM
Best: Final Fantasy VIII - *_* I thought it was purdy.
Worst: Final Fantasy X - no happiness =(

Zephyrs
01-13-2003, 04:14 PM
Not sure what the best endings are, but I know that the endings of Wild Arms and WA3 aren't so hot. Not saying they're bad, just not what I was hoping for.. and WA3 I think may win the award for the most wacked out "gameplay time:ending sequence time" ratio.

Sciguy
01-13-2003, 06:57 PM
SPOILERS!

You people are going to think me crazy, but since I'm not exactly sane, I don't mind!

Best Ending: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Most people were glad to see Navi leave you, but for me it was a really emotional scene. Watching Navi fly off and Link leave, without turning back and staying strong, was a powerful moment for me.

Worst Ending: Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2
The entire game, they have that whole "Find Rico!" subquest. You slog through three difficulty levels, then a fourth one that's nearly impossible, and you get through the horribly difficult Dark Falz III and for what!? So that you can almost the same ending as normal, except it shows pictures of Rico doing stuff on Ragol! No uniting a father and daughter, no talking to Rico, not even a gaurantee that she's alright and unharmed! That's horrible!

ChibiMoFo
01-19-2003, 06:52 PM
alot of ppl complain about FFX ending just cuz its not happy .'/ I liked it, but now theres FFX-2 which will probably give you all your happy ending :P

MGS2 had a pretty bad ending considering it and leading up to it was a giant exposition. Not that the whole shadow government thing was bad its was just presented really badly, like guess what guess what!

Shenmue 1&2 endings cuz they just lead into the next one :P

Best ending(s) Chrono Cross as a whole

Viral Harvest
01-19-2003, 07:09 PM
Best Endings - Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Warrior 3 (considering you could alter the things that were left unsaid after you beat the game, like reviving Ortega)

Worst Ending EVER - Metal Gear Solid 2.....ugh....

---Viral Harvest

psythe
01-19-2003, 07:48 PM
Best Ending: Xenogears
Worst Ending: Chrono Cross ... great game would have liked to see more of an ending, and yeah I got the 'good' ending

Troppy
01-19-2003, 09:23 PM
I really have to say I'm sick of people bitching that FFX doesn't have a happy ending. Um...so? It is SORTA happy I mean...you DO save the world and all... So the guy and girl didn't live happily ever after. If everything had a sugar-coated happiness-filled ending, I would become EXTREMELY bored and probably be a lot less into gaming. I liked the change, personally. It showed that consequence often comes with happiness, like the real world.

...but as they said, there's always FFX-2, you whiners. ;p

and back on topic,

BEST: FFVII, FFX
WORST: any and all fighting games. Ungh. Plotless.

ChibiMoFo
01-19-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by psythe
Best Ending: Xenogears
Worst Ending: Chrono Cross ... great game would have liked to see more of an ending, and yeah I got the 'good' ending

but did you get the other 10 endings :O

dmdflarekojima
01-21-2003, 01:56 AM
I have a change to my worst... Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. They probably didn't have much room for endings on the disc becuase of the massive amount of gameplay but all the endings blew.

Rey-Rey
01-21-2003, 03:43 AM
Let me chime in on FFX here. The only reason why I think it's not a good ending? It's not because it's sad.

In my opinion, it's not LONG ENOUGH. I DIDN'T PLAY 50 HOURS (9 hours to level up just to beat one of the later bosses, mind you) TO GET A SHORT ENDING. I think RPG companies should take note and REWARD the people who take their time to go through the game and give them what they deserve; a long, fulfilling end to the game. Not OPEN-ENDED ONES like FINAL FANTASY VII, not CREDITS that last five minutes (some people don't care, trust me); and not PICTURES and the words "THE END" like REVENGE OF SHINOBI.

Of course, if you've got endings like Ninja Gaiden, then that's just super sweet.

Oh, call me a wimp but I thought Castle Of Illusion's ending was, in a word, cute.

BannSidhe
01-21-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by dmdflarekojima
This has probably been posted before but I'd like to know, what are your picks for best and worst ending.

Best: Final Fantasy VII, nothing less than awesome.
Worst: Mega Man X VI, just a terrible, terrible game.

Best ending ever: I still think it might be a toss up between Link to the Past, The Ninja Gaiden series on NES and FF7. FF7 would edge ahead more if they showed Cloud beating Aerith up more...that had to be my fav. part!

Worst: Please...don't make me pick...I can name so many.

psythe
01-21-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Rey-Rey
and not PICTURES and the words "THE END" like REVENGE OF SHINOBI.

*sobs*

Don't remind me!!

BannSidhe
01-21-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by psythe
*sobs*

Don't remind me!!

heh, that's better than half the shooters and stuff out there that don't even spell The End or Congratulations right!

I think at the end of Bad Dudes you get: CONGRATULATIUN!

Celine
01-21-2003, 12:41 PM
Rey-Rey. I totally agree... and what a lovely rant that was. ^_^ I always feel much better about wasting away 25+ hours of my life if I'm rewarded with something long and beautiful that feels like completion. Cute and happy endings generally please me, but sometimes you can have a great ending that isn't 100% happy.

Arc_The_Lad
01-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Best: Final Fantasy VIII
Worst: Some of the endings in Chrono Cross

Rey-Rey
01-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Thanks, Celine. Yeah, as much as I liked how Lunar I ended, it was somehow unfulfilling. Why? The ending lasted for just mere moments. Of course, the bloops were funny..., but not enough to make up for that SHORT ending they had.

ENDING, people. ENDING.

BannSidhe
01-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Rey-Rey
Thanks, Celine. Yeah, as much as I liked how Lunar I ended, it was somehow unfulfilling. Why? The ending lasted for just mere moments. Of course, the bloops were funny..., but not enough to make up for that SHORT ending they had.

ENDING, people. ENDING.

Now for thd old-skool test Rey....did you ever play/beat it on the Sega CD?

To be honest, I prefered Lunar I on the Sega CD. (Lunar II was never available in the US to my knowledge...or at least anywhere near me.)

I *still* listen to that cd at times because I liked the story/songs...and you can hear them on a normal cd player.

la la la...la la la...la la la lalala! HEY!

Rey-Rey
01-21-2003, 12:59 PM
Actually, no. I never owned it on Sega CD but I was aware that it was released on that failure of a peripheral a while back. Yes, both Lunars were released on Sega CD (Eternal Blue for S-CD is hard to find) over here. So sorry if I neglected to mention the PS version.

Nevertheless, Lunar was one of the ten best RPGs I ever played. And I DO still listen to the music once in a while.

Now we're getting off-topic. ^_^ v

Celine
01-21-2003, 01:00 PM
>To be honest, I prefered Lunar I on the Sega CD.

*weeps*

Wow, that is amazing. Someone who has not only played, but prefers the original! There is no competition. The old one is so much better. I HATED the plot changes they made. I mean, Luna jumping on the boat, Alex not getting magic, what the heck?? The battle system was better back then, too.

Lunar 2 was available for the Sega CD here in the US. I owned it. It was awful. I sold it.

BannSidhe
01-21-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Celine
>To be honest, I prefered Lunar I on the Sega CD.

*weeps*

Wow, that is amazing. Someone who has not only played, but prefers the original! There is no competition. The old one is so much better. I HATED the plot changes they made. I mean, Luna jumping on the boat, Alex not getting magic, what the heck?? The battle system was better back then, too.

Lunar 2 was available for the Sega CD here in the US. I owned it. It was awful. I sold it.

Celina, Booty destroyed my original copy of Lunar...replaced it...and I *still* own it :) I have to dig my genesis and sega cd out sometime just to show Cass it. I'm hoping the emulator project for Sega CD works though. The ending still holds a place for me as one of the best.

Rosiel
01-21-2003, 01:05 PM
Best: FFIV. Happy happy ending that actually explained what all the characters were doing in the aftermath. And you can't go wrong with a wedding. FVII I loved also because it threw you for a loop if you watched beyond the credits.
I will also admit a fondness for the 108 stars ending of Suikoden III. It really grew on me.

And HOW could I forget Phantasy Star IV? I loved that ending!

Worse: Not technically /worse/ but let's call it "biggest letdown"... a toss up between FFVI (So, they got out of the tower AND?????) and the best ending to Chrono Cross (A picture... then live-action footage of people WALKING? What happened to our characters? Any of them?).

Lil Dreamer
01-21-2003, 01:08 PM
add me to the handful of ppl who liked Silver Star better in the Sega-CD than the PSX.

Nipple. :)

Lil Dreamer
01-21-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel
Best: FFIV. Happy happy ending that actually explained what all the characters were doing in the aftermath. And you can't go wrong with a wedding. FVII I loved also because it threw you for a loop if you watched beyond the credits.
I will also admit a fondness for the 108 stars ending of Suikoden III. It really grew on me.

And HOW could I forget Phantasy Star IV? I loved that ending!

Worse: Not technically /worse/ but let's call it "biggest letdown"... a toss up between FFVI (So, they got out of the tower AND?????) and the best ending to Chrono Cross (A picture... then live-action footage of people WALKING? What happened to our characters? Any of them?).

agreed with the Suikoden endings as well as the Phantasy Star 4 ending. altho' the romance between Chaz **shiver** and Rika wasn't really emphasized in the game... u have no idea how hard i tried to find a way to bring Alys back.

anyways, i liked FF6's ending cuz of the fact that it shows that each and every one of the characters have grown in some way or have developed as well. u actually see them "grow up" in the ending due to their hardships and trials. that's why i liked it.

of course u can look at it as they just got outta the tower and that's it. but it was the moments shared amongst themselves while escaping that mattered.

FF7 was a great ending after thorough analysis that the whole game in itself was a future vision that was watched by Aeris.

Rosiel
01-21-2003, 01:18 PM
> u have no idea how hard i tried to find a way to bring Alys back.

You too? I spent hours on the planet forgotitsname where you see the Alys hologram trying to figure out if there was a way. It was as bad as Palom and Porom in FFIV. I tried every new item I got on them in hopes of saving them...

I thought Alys and Rune were such a cute couple too... ;__;

> but it was the moments shared amongst themselves while escaping that mattered.

I wanted to know what really happened to them, though... all right all right I admit it, I wanted to know if Locke and Celes ended up together!

I can be such a sap sometimes...

Nietsche
01-21-2003, 01:43 PM
Kinda hard to say what's the best and worst here...

Hmm..Worst may be- GGX or just any beatemup that doesn't ven tell you what happens when you finish off the boss...

The best? The tales games had pretty good endings, as did Kingdom Hearts..I kinda liked the way you could talk to almost everyone at the end of Grandia 2...
...OMG the best ending has to be Slash's from Waku Waku 7! oh and a lot of the comedic endings from Vampire Saviour...Bulleta's ending cracks me up....and so did Sasquatch's ending!
Oh and special mention to Radiant Silvergun which had a pretty good one too!

Celine
01-21-2003, 01:49 PM
FF4 and PS4 both had good endings. I still think FF9 has the best ending, though. As for worst ending, I might give that to Suikoden 1 or 2. After I spend a ton of hours recruiting all these characters and experiencing some of the most emotional and best video game stories ever, to have ONE SENTENCE telling what each character did is so infuriating. Nothing interesting happens to McDohl in the end of Suikoden 1. He is made president. At night, he leaves. Gremio follows. Well, whoop de doo. I HATE Suikoden endings. They are one of the main reasons that Suikoden has never been, and will never be, a favorite of mine. The extra chapter at the end of Suikoden 3 was pretty good, though. I really liked the final bits between Luc, Sarah, and Leknaat.

I have to confess, the first time I played PS4, I wasn't sad when Alys died. She is such a bitch to Hahn at the beginning that I hadn't forgiven her. ^^ Of course, I was also about 12 at the time, so what did I know? Now, Palom and Porom are another story completely...

Lil Dreamer
01-21-2003, 01:59 PM
if u got the best ending of Suikoden 2 it shows what happens to the 3 main characters.

Celine
01-21-2003, 02:01 PM
Nah, the best ending to Suikoden 2 was the Tinto one. I hated Jowy and only met him and saved him once. He's such a jerk that he deserved to die.

Lil Dreamer
01-21-2003, 02:08 PM
lol i liked Jowy. he did what needed to be done for his country, as immoral as they were. and the whole time during the war it was never a personal issue between him and the main hero, it was just their responsibilities to the ppl they were leading.

anyways, the worst ending has got to be Mega Man Soccer... to those that didn't beat that game let me tell u what the ending is: the FREAKIN TITLE SCREEN!!!

Rey-Rey
01-21-2003, 02:09 PM
Nobody ever talks about Super Mario Bros. having a bad ending. Hell, I WAS DISAPPOINTED. Even if it was BACK in the 1980s. =O

Rosiel
01-21-2003, 02:14 PM
> Nah, the best ending to Suikoden 2 was the Tinto one. I hated Jowy and only met him and saved him once. He's such a jerk that he deserved to die.

I am not a big fan of Jowy, not because of his scheming and his becoming King of Highland but because he ran away from his responsibilities to his country, to his subjects, to the men who died in L'Renouille, even to Jillia and Pilika. Seed and Culgan died for their ideals and their country, I admire that. He ran, and hence I despise him.

And yet, I couldn't bring myself to kill him. >_<

I didn't think he deserved his happy ending though. He should have atoned for his sins instead of living as if nothing had happened.

So, yes, Suikoden's endings left me unfullfilled. And I wish more of the characters got actual endings instead of one liners. (or at least descriptive one-liners!)

Suikoden III redeems himself with the extra chapter (because I loved the Destroyers to bits) but was very unfullfilling when it came to the main characters. But I won't complain, where else do /villains/ get decent endings?

ChibiMoFo
01-21-2003, 03:40 PM
Best ending phantasy star 2 Die you lousy humans hehe >:D
Worst: The sims, oh wait there is none .'/

Yui
01-22-2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Shadra D

Worst Game Ending: I'd say Suikoden III if only because of what happens to my favorite character, but it was actually a fitting ending, no matter how much I wish it didn't happen. For this I would have to say SaGa Frontier (Specifically, Blue's viewpoint). I loved the game, but some of the endings were just awful.. Blue's ends midway through the boss battle n.n; it just.. ends.. and the credits roll. You don't even win or lose in your mission *dies*

Yeah, talk about anti-climatic. I had been assuming my game was glitched until other people mentioned it. Or that Blue had to be the one to actually do the finishing strike or something. Sad cuz he had the most semblence of a plot up til then.
I'd say that SF gets worse in my book, too. At least with old NES games, they had an excuse if they just ended. (ack...ran out of cartridge space) There's really no reason for that nowadays.
Another bad ending....um, Guilty Gear. You get one still picture as the end titles roll, not even an epilogue like fighting games at least usually have. Not like it's an RPG, or anything, but still, there's more story than the genre usually gets.

Okay now best:
Xenogears cuz Krelien doesn't die, he basically wins, and he's nude O_o (That makes up for the deterioration of the dubbing as the game progressed.)
I also love the PSX ending to FF6. My three fav characters and great cinamatics.
FF8 has an insanely well-thought out ending, with lots of clever details, especially in the camcorder scenes at the end.
Legaia has a very cool ending. A nice unique little twist.
Also, points to SM:RPG for being the first game to ever cause me to shed a tear at the end. (Geno!) Um, and FFT got to me too (people who write histories are so infuriating.) And Vagrant Story owns my very soul...wow, that was so sad, yet powerful and inspirational and just mega-slick, stinger after stinger. See, the forces of darkness aren't necessarily bad all the time...they -can- do good.

I'm feeling particularily verbose tonight.

Yui
01-22-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Lil Dreamer

FF7 was a great ending after thorough analysis that the whole game in itself was a future vision that was watched by Aeris.

Now there's a take I haven't heard yet. Very creative interpretation. I dig FF7's end too, just because everybody thinks something different happened and there's some good debates. And the whole game really is open-ended...like people who think Seph killed Aeris, really. Or that Hojo's Seph's father, really. Or that Tifa isn't weak or Aeris isn't brillantly manipulative. (She's sweet, too, but she's really intelligent as well.) Anyway, it's great in that you can take the story at face-value as it's presented and still have a very decent and cool plot, or dig a bit (and muse on it far too much) and find much in-game evidence to completely turn the motivations around. There's subtle proof littered in that game that probably wasn't even meant to develop. That's where Xenogears is different...it meant something very particular and you had to sort out what that complex plot was. But FF7 can be taken in a bazillion directions. The end was so vague because the whole story was vague.

That's life.

makio
01-22-2003, 04:40 AM
Worst Game endings:
-Metal Gear Solid 2: SOL... Disappointing. Too many farfetched events near the end. Why didn't they just make this a watchable DVD since you only get to play 20-35% of the game?
-the King of Fighters 2001... All of the endings stink. All of them. Blegh. The game will be a decade old next year, and it still resembles KOF'94. Time for a new systemboard/engine? Yes.
-Castlevania... The whole series seems to suffer from having lame endings. As grand as the games are, little to no time seems to be spent in the ending. And the character designs for Aria of Sorrow really worry me in the direction the series is taking.

Best Game endings:
-Resident Evil Zero... Um. *Wow*.
-Sonic the Hedgehog CD... The music was a bit...um, awkward; but it was nice to have a fully animated ending back then. And still no Sonic CD on any of the Sonic Collection games! :(
-The Last Blade... Slightly tragic endings and music, but given the time period the game takes place; it's understandible.

Rey-Rey
01-22-2003, 12:13 PM
Yeah, but I don't like OPEN ENDINGS. I'd rather see a finished story than having to think about it. That's why they're called ENDINGS, right? =O

Babylon
01-22-2003, 01:31 PM
Best Ending - FFIX. It was so blubbery and sentimental. It made me feel like a wuss. I don't think I have ever grown so attached to a group of RPG characters before.

Worst Ending - Hard to say as there are so many old platform games that don't even have endings. So I'd say all of those. I've probably missed out on a lot of really bad endings as I stop playing a game when the story is uninteresting.

-Babylon :schitzo: