View Full Version : What is Dragon con like

EmptyShadow
05-11-2005, 03:55 AM
Hey,

I never been to Dragon Con before and I was thinking of going,

what is the experience like?

Aleathia Burns
05-11-2005, 12:59 PM
My friend let me sum this up in three words.....IT KICKS ASS!!!!!
You must go!!! O.k got excited there for a moment. You picked the right convetion it is huge and I mean HUGE. You can cosplay anything from Sci-fi, anime, classic movies, video games and horror films. Plus you can design your own cosplay and show it off. The people are greet and you will make friends for life. I have been going for 4 years now and I look forward to it evey year. It is a wonderful convetion and I highly recoommend bring along a friend or two. I hope to see you there!!!

EmptyShadow
05-17-2005, 07:40 AM
I would've responded sooner but I just came back from a trip, but
I'll probably have some more questions later, thanks.

Quinn
05-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Hey,

I have been attending Anime Cons since 96, and cosplaying since 97.I would gladly give up all the good anime cons I have attended to keep going to Dragon Con every year.Its like a Disney World for fans of all sci fi / fantasy genres.And the fans there are nice and mature acting.No glomp me signs,no hug me signs.The panels are fantastic and there guest list of Sci Fi stars,comic book artists and writers,tv show writers,and book authors and editors never ever dissapoints.And this convention virtually runs almost 24 hours.Then there is the 3 nights of parties,at least 4-5 room parties to coose from on each level of the main hotels.

This Con will not dissapoint EVER.If your thinking of going,I highly reccomend you try and save and GO!

EmptyShadow
05-18-2005, 10:35 AM
I have been attending Anime Cons since 96, and cosplaying since 97.I would gladly give up all the good anime cons I have attended to keep going to Dragon Con every year.Its like a Disney World for fans of all sci fi / fantasy genres.And the fans there are nice and mature acting.No glomp me signs,no hug me signs.The panels are fantastic and there guest list of Sci Fi stars,comic book artists and writers,tv show writers,and book authors and editors never ever dissapoints.And this convention virtually runs almost 24 hours.Then there is the 3 nights of parties,at least 4-5 room parties to coose from on each level of the main hotels.

This Con will not dissapoint EVER.If your thinking of going,I highly reccomend you try and save and GO!

I hear there is a Dragon Con membership. Do you know anything about it?

halafax
05-18-2005, 11:03 AM
That is just the tickets. You can get a life time membership but I have never looked into those. The sooner you get tickets the cheaper they are.

Where will you be coming from? That makes a huge impact. There is the hotel costs and such.

Also Dragon Con is just fun. From gaming, comics, panels, meet ppl, etc every year I have fun. This will be my fifth con. Its the only one I really plan to go to.

The price to get in is kinda high, but with all the stuff to do, sometimes i falls into so much to do, and so little time to do it.

Cynthia
05-18-2005, 12:01 PM
This will be my first Dragon*Con. I'm actually getting fussed at by local anime fans for going to D*C instead of the new anime con that's starting up the weekend before.

And, well, hate to say it, but, a) it's a first year con (that means immediate trouble), b) it's out in lafeyette, la (aka boones), c) I work (so how am I supposed to get 2 weekends off in a row!?!) and d) going to 2 cons in a row is expensive 0.0

The_Balrog
05-18-2005, 12:24 PM
D*C is huge. There is always photo-ops and a party. Nothing disappoints except a few idols of mine that have just crushed my dreams. People are friendly and well everything excellent except $$. THe hotel is not cheap nor is anything for that matter. Autographs are 20 a person but photos are free. The dealers room, you may find a good deal. THe exhibit hall....um yeah! Have fun in that mess. Make sure your costumes are either crowd friendly or aggressive. You will be pushed and seperated if you are with a group. >Worst times are late at night in the Hyatt. Marriott is busy till the exhibit/gallery/ and dealers rooms close. All main events are in the Hyatt.
i warn you if you see a horned winged beast move out of my way cause my costume is so crowd agressive. I can clear a elevator in min flat with my wings.

overall is a A+ con and is will change your outlook on other cons.

halafax
05-18-2005, 12:32 PM
D*C is huge. There is always photo-ops and a party. Nothing disappoints except a few idols of mine that have just crushed my dreams. People are friendly and well everything excellent except $$. THe hotel is not cheap nor is anything for that matter. Autographs are 20 a person but photos are free. The dealers room, you may find a good deal. THe exhibit hall....um yeah! Have fun in that mess. Make sure your costumes are either crowd friendly or aggressive. You will be pushed and seperated if you are with a group. >Worst times are late at night in the Hyatt. Marriott is busy till the exhibit/gallery/ and dealers rooms close. All main events are in the Hyatt.
i warn you if you see a horned winged beast move out of my way cause my costume is so crowd agressive. I can clear a elevator in min flat with my wings.

overall is a A+ con and is will change your outlook on other cons.

*smirks*

I just use the old kidney punch. Its gets ppl out of the way fast. Wear some steel toes and no one gets with in arms lenght of you. If you know how to navagate a crowd you dont ahve to be aggressive or passive.

Dragon Con in itself is just fun. The things you can get into, whether trouble or non trouble related activies can make for a great con. Lots of ppl to see, lots of costumes to see, and lots of stuff to do. If you are a buffy fan they are having the creator of the buffy verse there. There are bands, some better than others. Lets not forget voltair. He is great.

If you budget right you wont go home wondering where all the money went.

Zasshu
05-18-2005, 11:45 PM
hmm... im more into anime and less into sci-fi (although some is ok... i just dont like a lot of the tv shows here cuz a lot of them are... ewww (and im gonna die for that comment)) and im deciding if i should go. ill have a fairly well known character from an anime, but im afraid ill show up and a lot of ppl be like "nice costume, whats it from?" as they take pix... i just dont want to show up and be bored or have no one know who i am

and then... (since ive never been to a sci-fi con) is it filled with a buncha D&D type ppl? cuz i dont need someone trying to cast a dark mage level 53 spell on me or anything...

Fyremistress
05-25-2005, 11:16 PM
dragon con is definately an experience. there are so many awesome cosplayers, lots of great panels, wonderful musical acts, and youre(even if your shy like me) guaranteed to walk away with some fanatastic friendships!

money wise it is pricey. Rooms for Fri- Mon at host hotels run ya 600$ total, but if you have 3-4 people in your room its pretty reasonable for the general classyness( is that a word) of the hotels.

some things to remember...
*keep some money to the side to visit benihanas when your there
*if you plan to drink- bring your own
*plan plan plan
*book your room now/get ticket like yesterday
*bring lots o film or a digital with laptop to dump the cards
*walkie talkies for your group are awesome
*you dont have to be an awesome costumer, try your best and have fun
*be nice but safe- even tho the occasional person can be a jerk (youll find that anywhere), the majority of the folks there are genuinely nice people(see friendship thing above)
*Take some vitamins before you go
*dont stress over it- just enjoy it :)

hope to see ya there!!!

and to zasshu's comment- dont worry if not everyone knows who you are- you can expose a whole bunch of people to your favorites. Thats how a lot of them get known! and most likely at least one while guess ya :)

Ragresen
05-30-2005, 12:12 PM
There is lots of stuff for Anime as well at Dragon Con. To answers the D&D types stuff there is those there but they will never leave the RPG hole the whole Con. As to having Anime Costumes recognised it really depends on how main stream the Anime is. There are lots of costumes that show up at Dragon Con I have little clue what it is, but you know if it is great Iwill shoot shots of it when I am not in my own costumes, but unless anime is one that is just really well known even out side of the Anime circle it will likely not get recognised. A good Example is Dragon Ball Z stuff will get recongnised. But Something from Say Naruto will not. though at Dragon Con people do not care what soemthing is from if it is a kick ass costume. if you get stopped a lot for pictures then you have peekd the intrests of folks who may not know what Anime is and well help expose them to it. AS an Eternal Member to the Con I can not speak well enough about it, but others have done tht for me.

EmptyShadow
06-04-2005, 11:54 AM
How much does the late night activities like the parties and what ever
cost?

Fyremistress
06-04-2005, 12:34 PM
only thing that actually costs is the bar, places outside the hotel, and on the rare occasion people charge cover to thier parties- in my experiences- very rare (but do be polite and offer to chip in for alcohol if you drink it)

Ragresen
06-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Many of the Room Parties will have a tip Jar of somesort in them. If you enjoyed it and did drink I really recommend you leave a little something as they will likly do a party the next night or year and good partys are allways good to know about.

fightstar
06-06-2005, 10:17 PM
so that is what D*Con is like. One big party with tip jars. lol Seriously, thanks for the advice. Dropping a tip of a few bucks sounds like putting points away in the Karma bank.

Ragresen
06-07-2005, 10:42 AM
That is just the late night fun. the daylight fun is basically summed up in a sort thing. There is a little something there for everyone.

TechieCL
06-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Dragon-Con is maddess. 25-30 thousand fans of all genres spread across two hotels and the ajoining conference center between the two (partially below street level).

It has something for everyone during the day light. Past 9 or 10 is when it shifts to be a party con. 24 hours a day over the entire lenght of labor day weekend.

It literally has something for everyone: movie and video viewing rooms, panels, art and craft lessons, concerts, radio shows, gaming demos, open gaming tables, for-play and free-play video gaming, guests, two dealer's room (one for smaller companies and one for major sponsors and large companies), an art show, room parties all over the place, dances, raves, larpers...the list goes on and on.

You name it Dragon-Con has it. IMHO its the best con in the country regardless of genre/theme.

EmptyShadow
06-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Hey

I purchased my tickets a while ago how long does it usually
take to recieve them.

Hikaruchan
06-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Usually takes a month or two to get the postcard that take to pre-reg line at con registration.

Ragresen
06-20-2005, 07:47 AM
You should have the post card no later than 2 months before the con. if not I would call them up and see what is happening. I do know that they are working on getting these out for folks and I just got my eternal membership card recently. And you must recall eternal members have passes for life and it took till june just to get my card.

CreativeGuy
07-10-2005, 12:03 AM
I know what it isn't like. It isn't for children. Gets pretty wild there.

TechieCL
07-11-2005, 09:03 PM
It'd say its okay for families until 7 or 8 at night...then its pretty wild.

tabbybunhead
07-12-2005, 12:56 AM
Qoute:There is lots of stuff for Anime as well at Dragon Con. To answers the D&D types stuff there is those there but they will never leave the RPG hole the whole Con.END QOUTE

I beg to differ.Not all gamers are only interested in gaming.I will be doing my gaming late at night and out in the halls and track rooms having a blast during the day when the bright yellow hurty thing is in the sky. lol

serioudly,that is a streotype that gamers only like gaming and I wanted to call you on it.

Though,I figure it was not meant to offend.

Ragresen
07-12-2005, 06:41 AM
Qoute:There is lots of stuff for Anime as well at Dragon Con. To answers the D&D types stuff there is those there but they will never leave the RPG hole the whole Con.END QOUTE

I beg to differ.Not all gamers are only interested in gaming.I will be doing my gaming late at night and out in the halls and track rooms having a blast during the day when the bright yellow hurty thing is in the sky. lol

serioudly,that is a streotype that gamers only like gaming and I wanted to call you on it.

Though,I figure it was not meant to offend.

You are right and not all do that. I have several friends who do and it is a shame as they do not experience the remainder of the con is all.

tabbybunhead
07-12-2005, 12:53 PM
You are right and not all do that. I have several friends who do and it is a shame as they do not experience the remainder of the con is all.

It is a shame.And my tounge was at least partialy in my cheek,though not totaly.

Me I want to try LARP,but that just takes to much time.

Aleathia Burns
07-20-2005, 01:14 PM
Man Draogn con needs to hurry up and get here!!!!

AshleyV
07-20-2005, 02:30 PM
Man Draogn con needs to hurry up and get here!!!!

I agree, espically since now more of my friends are going!

Fyremistress
07-20-2005, 11:08 PM
ditto ditto! I miss everyone from last year and 03

5 weeks........

HURRRY UP ALREADY :P

fightstar
07-21-2005, 06:38 PM
wow 5 weeks already. Keep saving those dollars kids!!!! ;)

Aleathia Burns
07-21-2005, 07:34 PM
I agree, espically since now more of my friends are going!
I can't wait to see you there Ashley!!! I hope I can hurry up and finish my costumes in time cuz it only 2 of them. Oh well I better start sewing or it aint no going for me. :o

TheWickedOne
08-01-2005, 08:23 PM
it's definately the con that never sleeps, there is something to do from the moment it starts until the moment it ends. it's really big too... it takes two huge downtown atlanta hotels, though the hyatt is open 24 hours everyday of the con, the marriot is mainly used for just the during the day portions like vender halls, artwork, and anything else that really can't go all day long. if you're old enough to drink then you will definately meet some people who will want to party, some folks will probably invite you to parties up in their rooms, every one is really cool... look at it this way, it's a four day long party for geeks...

Tyrus
08-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Make that 3 hotels. They've officially added the Hilton as co-hosting. Registration's been moved over there.

It gets bigger every year.

Fyremistress
08-02-2005, 06:44 PM
dear god the insanity..

I cant wait:P

fightstar
08-02-2005, 11:17 PM
SW33t!!! 30 days and counting people. Until then I am off making costumes, saving money and watching episodes of Doctor Who. LOL

a-tastic
08-03-2005, 02:19 AM
the hilton's cohosting? gnarly!!! are people going to be having room parties there, too?

Tyrus
08-03-2005, 02:39 PM
the hilton's cohosting? gnarly!!! are people going to be having room parties there, too?

My guess is not to expect too much over there this year. Being on the other side of the Marriot from the Hyatt puts it pretty far from all the night activities. But who knows?

This might be helpful. It was posted over at the yahoo group.
Map of the hotels (http://www.geocities.com/tuxdc/DragonCon_main_hotels.html)

nachtinis
08-04-2005, 07:32 AM
I hear over on the force.net forums Dragon*Con described two ways:
1. Indoor Mardi Gras
2. Celebration three but with programming for everyone and no lines

Wolverine
09-01-2005, 02:35 AM
Hey, I never been to Dragon Con before and I was thinking of going. What is the experience like?Well, for me, Dragon*Con is a huge convention with lots & lots of cosplayers but in that the majority of the costumes are not actually animé-related. Like everyone else here has said, you'll most likely see a lot of sci-fi shows'/movies' characters, comic book costumes, fantasy, & even some original cosplay stuff. Now, it isn't because animé-based costumes are discouraged; it's more like the majority of people that wear costumes there lean more towards the other entertainment mediums (for costume inspiration), like live-action television & movies, comics, etc. In past years, there's been quite a number of animé-related costumes among the multitude of costumed folk, so you shouldn't feel out-of-place if you were to wear that Naruto, Sailor Moon, or even Dragonball Z costume. :cool:

dagmarus
09-01-2005, 06:12 AM
Hey,

To rip off Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle, "Y'know the Holocaust? Picture the EXACT opposite of that!"

nachtinis
09-01-2005, 07:35 AM
Its like tomorrow dudes.
Its far from me right now but will be closer tomorrow.