PDA

View Full Version : Guestlist announced for Canadian National Expo

archangeli
05-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Since CNA is one of the conventions that's under the umbrella of the Canadian National Expo, I thought some of you might be interested in this :)

I h ad a screaming fangirl attack when I read this article in the Metro newspaper today :jjacks:

I don't suggest getting too excited given Hobbystar's tendency to have guests "cancel."

I didn't want to type out the whole thing, so just click on the attachment -

Chibik3r0
05-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Woo that's surprising. Not really a crazed LOTR fan like some people out there, but that's still pretty cool. Clive Barker and Linda Blair are pretty spiffy too. Thanks for the post ^_^ I wonder who they'll get for the anime part of the convention.

Michi
05-13-2005, 07:57 PM
Ooh, Marina Sirtis. o.o She would be cool to see. I'd rather Gates McFadden though. :heart:

Vicky
05-15-2005, 12:32 AM
I'm not a huge fan, but he's enough of a celeb that he's worth seeing! He did do an amazing job in Lord of the Rings.
I'm just... anti fangirls o_o;

For someone who wasn't intending on going to CNX, I know I squeled when I saw the most recent Guest List updates.
Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, sold me on going to CNX right away.
But I enjoy the Horror section more than the Anime section, to be honest (please don't hurt me XD).
So I'm pumped! Their guest list surprised the hell out of me this year :D

lainey
05-15-2005, 07:39 AM
O_O

i bet we'd have to pay for a special extra ticket or something though >_<

Neoengel
05-15-2005, 10:01 AM
O_O

i bet we'd have to pay for a special extra ticket or something though >_<

That's how the people at Hobbystar do it. They hype up what they have and then pull out compounding costs for all the extras.

The people that run CN Anime disgust me with their tactics and lack of care for public safety, and quite frankly I feel like I get treated like fandom sheep walking down isleways for the sake of walking down isleways.

Read my signature regarding them to find out more reasons I avoid this con-job.

Vicky
05-15-2005, 10:14 AM
I <3 CNX the best.
And I'd rather pay extra to meet people I want than pay $100+ just to attend o_O

To the last person who posted, I think your words are too harsh for public discussion forums, as it offended me. You're entitled to your own opinion, of course, but if you can't be respectable towards other people, you shouldn't say anything at all.

Killmesarah
05-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Isn't this thread about the guestlist??
Sorry man, but if anyone was interested in your plight with Hobbystar, they would have 'clicked on the link' just like your signature says.

As far as "if you don't like my opinion, don't read it"- I am TRYING to read a thread about the CN guestlist. Instead I got as huge disruptive post, pics and all.
THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD IS THE CN GUESTLIST.

Thank you.
-Sarah

JustinCredible
05-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Neoengel,
come on. There's no need for that in this thread. Your first post was on-topic and did what you wanted it to do, but you went overboard with the second.

MissieYohko,
Neo wasn't trying to offend. Neo and myself have had countless conversations about this (all of which I enjoyed ;) ), but at the end of the day... I've continued to go to CN and will continue to do so.

ZiggyB
05-15-2005, 03:03 PM
Ok, that's quite enough.

Please keep this thread on topic about the guest list and not about the politics behind certain organizations.

Neoengel: I've deleted your subsequent posts about the topic but kept your first post about this intact. Please do not bring this subject up again.

Remember this is just an con. Go or not, it's your choice, there's no one forcing you to do anything.

Now, please continue with the on-topic chat.

Edit: And since Neoengel did not listen to my warning about keeping this thread on topic, Neoengel has been temp. banned for 1 month starting right now.

I was not kidding about keeping the drama down and things on topic. I hope that month will help you understand that.

Edit 2: And with the insults toward the site and the moderators, Neoengel is now permanently banned from the site. Bye bye.

Amy the Yu
05-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Probably not on the same wavelength at all the LOTR fans that'll get excited, but yay for attempt #2 at James Marsters in TO. XD

Omg...Buffy fangirl freak out time. >_< *twitch twitch*

I'll be getting my hopes up. They can dash it w/ another cancelation, but I'm still gonna get overly excited just cause I can't help it. >_>

Vicky
05-15-2005, 09:55 PM
Oh yeah, the Buffy fangirls are fun XD
Aw, don't get discouraged! I know I was pretty down about the Patrick Stewart thing, but it sure paid off ten fold ^_^
I'm super excited! I can't wait to see the rest of the guest announcements!!

(I just wanna say I wasn't trying to start a fight... Thank you very much, Ziggy)

JustinCredible
05-15-2005, 10:11 PM
I'm super excited! I can't wait to see the rest of the guest announcements!!

Me too... this is their best list to date and if by some chance they were able to get Stan "The Man" or Kevin Smith... I would die a happy happy man.

Vicky
05-15-2005, 10:20 PM
They've got Elvira, I'll be able to die happy when I finally get to meet her! :D
I was so excited last year just to meet an artist of her comic book XD

Amy the Yu
05-15-2005, 10:43 PM
I know I was pretty down about the Patrick Stewart thing, but it sure paid off ten fold ^_^The Patrick Stewart cancelation was a blessing for me. Landed me a free ticket to go see him at the rescheduled date. XD

I have so much random video clips I took of him from that on my laptop. He was insanely awesome. XD

archangeli
05-15-2005, 11:07 PM
>_> <_< >_>

Probably not on the same wavelength at all the LOTR fans that'll get excited, but yay for attempt #2 at James Marsters in TO. XD

Yes. It was sad when he cancelled out of Toronto Trek a couple years ago. Hope that he actually comes this time (not that I will see him, since I won't even be around for CNA). :thumbsup:

JustinCredible
05-15-2005, 11:14 PM
They've got Elvira, I'll be able to die happy when I finally get to meet her! :D
I was so excited last year just to meet an artist of her comic book XD

Yeah, Cassandra rocks... I just saw Haunted hills, I liked it... but not as much as 'Mistress Of The Dark.'

Vicky
05-16-2005, 08:00 AM
Yes, Mistress of the Dark was key :D I only have the VHS though, I'm hoping to find the DVD soon >_<

Amy, How on earth did you get a free ticket?!?! I'm jealous! Although what I paid was well worth it o.o

Amy the Yu
05-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Amy, How on earth did you get a free ticket?!?! I'm jealous! Although what I paid was well worth it o.oVolunteering. ^^

They invited some of the CN volunteers to attend the Patrick Stewart event for free. We didn't get an autograph, but I cared about seeing the guest more than any autograph.

As much as people seem to dislike how Hobbystar runs things, they're always very good to their volunteers. I don't think I've ever come across a CN volunteer that was not happy with how we get treated (except the staff shirt they make everyone wear), and getting the chance to volunteer there is probably the only reason I still attend CN. XD

The post-con volunteer party doesn't hurt either. We get free food and they raffle off tonnes of good stuff (enough so that everyone gets something). =D

Vicky
05-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Aw that's so awesome!
I'm always so busy attending CNX stuff, I wish I could volunteer but I have a hard enough time making time to eat XD

Sarcasm-hime
05-16-2005, 08:20 PM
Volunteering. ^^

They invited some of the CN volunteers to attend the Patrick Stewart event for free. We didn't get an autograph, but I cared about seeing the guest more than any autograph.

As much as people seem to dislike how Hobbystar runs things, they're always very good to their volunteers. I don't think I've ever come across a CN volunteer that was not happy with how we get treated (except the staff shirt they make everyone wear), and getting the chance to volunteer there is probably the only reason I still attend CN. XD

The post-con volunteer party doesn't hurt either. We get free food and they raffle off tonnes of good stuff (enough so that everyone gets something). =D

Huh....so the volunteers get treated great but the masquerade staff are treated like garbage. :P Hooray.

trixyloupwolf
05-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Hi
I Am Going To Cn Anime Too......
Its Gona Be My Very Firt Anime Convention.........
Those Anyone Have Any Kind Of Tips For Me..................

Were To Buy Ticket In Advance If We Can ???

Do We Wear Costume At The Arrival Or Only For That Maskarade Thing???

Do I Have To Bring Something Special??

What We Do There??

Please Anything That You Can Tell Me .......
I Will Be Greatfull

^-^

JustinCredible
05-17-2005, 11:08 PM
Were To Buy Ticket In Advance If We Can ???

Advance ticket sales will probably be announces in June/July.

Do We Wear Costume At The Arrival Or Only For That Maskarade Thing???

You can wear your costume anywhere you'd like!

Do I Have To Bring Something Special??
Nope... everything is up to you.

What We Do There??
Check out the Masq (or enter it), AMV contest, various video room and panels, Q&As from some of the guests, dealers room and whatever else they cook up for this year.

Check out
http://www.hobbystar.com/ComicConTorontoV2/CC_Main.asp

for updates and features of the con!

Most of all, relax and enjoy!

trixyloupwolf
05-20-2005, 09:54 AM
http://www.hobbystar.com/ComicConTorontoV2/CC_Main.asp

for updates and features of the con!

Most of all, relax and enjoy![/QUOTE]

tanks a lots see your going too.......................

wat will you cosplay as..................................

Killmesarah
05-25-2005, 09:03 PM
ANGELA was just announced as the Japanese guest of Honour!! YAY!!
I MUST reccomend seeing them, they are an amazing 2 piece Jpop group consisting of Katsu(who makes some funny expressions when he plays guitar) and Atsuko(who has an amzing and UNIQUE voice).
I saw them at Otakon last year, and enjoyed them more then L'arc!! (don't hit me XD)
They do the theme song for Stellvia and a few other anime. I may go to CN just for them!

Tigerzeyes
05-25-2005, 11:35 PM
It kinda sucks that they're gonna make us pay to see the crazy awesome people... I'm so excited for Elijah Wood! Woo!
Of course he was awesome in LOTR, but he was right creepy in Sin City. OOH! He scared the crap outta me :'(
Of course I'm also in love with James Marsters. Mmmm... Spike-ilicious... So now I have to choose who I'm gonna go see... :(
How much have tickets just to get into the con cost in the past?
And if I buy a ticket to the Anime Con, does that mean I'm not going to be able to see Elijah Wood??!

Gah! Can anyone answer my questions?

Thankies

hikarilight
05-26-2005, 07:44 PM
ANGELA was just announced as the Japanese guest of Honour!! YAY!!
I MUST reccomend seeing them, they are an amazing 2 piece Jpop group consisting of Katsu(who makes some funny expressions when he plays guitar) and Atsuko(who has an amzing and UNIQUE voice).
I saw them at Otakon last year, and enjoyed them more then L'arc!! (don't hit me XD)
They do the theme song for Stellvia and a few other anime. I may go to CN just for them!

Yay! Another angela fan~ I just love them <3 <3 I can't wait to see them~ Maybe I can actually buy their first album *has lost her downloaded files ><;;*

jade_dincht
05-30-2005, 05:01 PM
I can't wait to see frodo. I love lord of the rings. I kinda don't want to pay $169, but it wil be worth it. I'm also excited about linda blair too. and the team from Red vs.Blue.

Vicky
06-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Holy Crap, Batman!
Kevil Sorbo Was Added To The List!!! :d :d :d :d :d

Vicky
06-03-2005, 02:45 PM
How much have tickets just to get into the con cost in the past?
And if I buy a ticket to the Anime Con, does that mean I'm not going to be able to see Elijah Wood??!

The tickets for the con depend on you, what parts of the con you hope to attend, and how many dates. You can get ticket info on the site http://www.hobbystar.com/ComicConTorontoV2/CC_Main.asp
If it helps, I get the Anime Adult Weekend Pass, because it's unlimited access everywhere ^_^ Try to buy the one that best suits your needs:

- The ONLY pass that gets you ALL ACCESS for the Anime Part of the con IS the Anime Delux Pass. In other words, if you cough up the $45, you're all access all weekend (except special ticket events).
- ANY OTHER Deluxe Pass, you're all access all weekend everywhere EXCEPT the Anime Part (you are "Limited Access").
- ANY Basic pass, you are LIMITED everywhere EXCEPT the main section you purchased it in.

As for seeing Elijah Wood, if you buy the Anime Pass posted on their site, it says...
Pass includes at no extra charge:

Comic Book Expo (ALL ACCESS) excluding special ticket events
Science Fiction Expo (ALL ACCESS) excluding special ticket events
Anime Expo (ALL ACCESS) excluding special ticket events
Gaming Expo (All ACCESS) excluding special ticket events
Also, I think no matter what pass you buy, if you wanna see Elijah Wood all you need is the special event ticket, which you buy separately.

X-Chan-
06-05-2005, 03:19 PM
OMG. JAMES MARSTERS.

*faints*

jade_dincht
06-12-2005, 05:31 PM
I :heart: james marsters, but i wouldn't pay $800 for the whole shabang package.

Yuna-X2
06-12-2005, 07:18 PM
*reads the website for updates* Frodo, General Grevious, R2-D2, and the english voice of Tohru?!? Oh I've now entered 'shiny happy people' mode. I think I'm most excited for the Star Wars guests. ^_^

Vicky
06-13-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm still undecided if I wanna cough up the $149 to meet Elijah :\
I can justify that for Patrick Stewart because I really like him! Elijah Wood is a great actor, but I dunno if i can justify $149 T-T

TribalButterfly
06-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Wow. Frodo is going to be there......Didn't expect that one.

WAIT A SECOND! You have to pay $150.00 to see him??? That's crazy! I could make another Costume for that much money!

You know, for celebrities to take advantage of their fans like that...it's really disgusting.
Last year Chris Sabot (voice actor) hung out with me n my friends for almost an hour, signing everything we set in front of him (including my left boob!) and took about a thousand pictures with us, and he never asked us for a dime! He was completely amazing!

Desdemona
TribalButterfly

Yuna-X2
06-13-2005, 11:30 PM
You know, for celebrities to take advantage of their fans like that...it's really disgusting.

While I'm sure the actors don't mind the extra cash, I have a feeling Hobbystar is more the one to blame. They love their money.

JustinCredible
06-13-2005, 11:54 PM
Wow. Frodo is going to be there......Didn't expect that one.

WAIT A SECOND! You have to pay $150.00 to see him??? That's crazy! I could make another Costume for that much money!

While I'm sure the actors don't mind the extra cash, I have a feeling Hobbystar is more the one to blame. They love their money.

Some Celebrities that are in demand only take a few appearences per year. To limit the amout of folks who ask for them to appear they ask for a appearence fee. Now each fee differs from person to person, but sometimes the asking price is outrageous, then you add in hotel and flight costs. So to cushion the price, sometimes con attendees have to pay for an appearence fee. Chris Sabot is going to be asking for a lower appearence fee then Elijah Wood.

This isn't a new thing nor limited to 'hobbystar'. There are more then enough folks who are willing to pay that money to see him (not me),if you are determined to see... gotta pay the fee.

TribalButterfly
06-14-2005, 07:42 AM
I understand what you are saying. It makes sense.
The thing is though, most of these celebrities are already pretty wealthy, (I’m not saying their millionaires, but they've got to have more cash then some of the poor shmoze that attend the con; especially those of us who have already spent over a hundred dollars constructing a wicked costume) and most people walking around at the cons, aren't carrying around a couple of hundred dollars in their pocket (and those of them who are, usually have collector's items in mind.)

Like for example, there was one actor at the con last year (who’s name I will not mention) who was down right RUDE! Firstly, he did not have a sign up stating there was a fee to see him, and then when u got up to him, he demanded your money! :untrust:
And if you didn't pay up, he didn't even look in your direction!
I thought that was very rude. He was acting like he didn't even want to be there.

I dunno. To me it just seems like taking advantage of your fans, instead of appreciating their support.

I think that there is more to being a star than being on the big screen. There’s being a role model. Having character. And just down right being a decent human being. If you’re going to charge your fans an arm and a leg just to “be in your presence”, then maybe it’s time to reassess why you admire that person.
If you really are a star, then you should be comfortable enough within yourself to “humble yourself into being around us mere mortals” without having to be paid off in big bucks to do it.

If it really takes a couple of grand to convince you to be around me, then I don’t really want to see you, you know? Celebrities should just be happy to meet us, because quite frankly, they wouldn’t be celebrities without us cheering them on! :love:

But that’s just my opinion. :rolleyes:

Desdemona
TribalButterfly

Vicky
06-14-2005, 08:21 AM
I'm going to have to speak against this.

Think about this for a minute.
Let's say you're a million dollar making actor (better yet, a million dollar making actor at his PRIME like elijah wood), and some fan convention wants you to take a WHOLE day, maybe even two, out of YOUR busy schedule to fly to Canada and talk to fans, and not even pay you $.5 million for it? Not even $100,000!
Even Patrick Stewart said he doesn't like to promise coming to these conventions because he's an incredibly busy individual.
They may be better off than the rest of us, but it's not like they KEEP every penny they make! Agents are REALLY f-ing expensive, not to mention other expenses and such.

My brother is an actor, not even a popular one, but he hardly has the time to hang out and see his little sister once a month o_o; His best friend? He had a HUGE role in Bulletproof Monk and since then I haven't seen the guy, he's been so busy! So excuse me while I take the side of the actors.

This is a business.
They LOOSE money by coming to see us, regardless of how much you may THINK they over charge.
I'll GLADLY cough up the $100+ to see someone I respect as an actor. They're doing *US* the favour, not the other way around.
You might wanna think about that before you start giving the "they should take time and loose money for their fans" shpiel. If you won't cough up the money to meet him, you're obviously not that big a fan *L*

TribalButterfly
06-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Ok, but what about people who can't afford to cough up 100 dollars?
They aren't big enough fans?

The point is we're all people. We all put our pants on one leg at a time. Everyone looks the same on the toilet. All the great skill of the actor aside, he's still just another guy, like anyone of us. N it's not fair to expect someone to go hungry for a week, just so they can have the honor of "saying hi" to someone.

No one’s really better than anyone else, just because they've been on the big screen. Well, not 150 dollars a pop anyways.

Besides, it's not like the actors can't afford not to charge.
I mean, if the fee was like, 20 dollars, I would be like, yea sure, whatever. But over 100 bucks??? It’s not like meeting Mr. Wood is going to cure you of all your illnesses, or make you smarter than Ken Jennings.
Gimmie a break.

But hey, like I said, it's just my opinion. N let's face it, nothing said here is gunna change how much he charges, right? Haha! So no biggie :)

Desdemona
TribalButterfly

Vicky
06-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Gimmie a break.

But hey, like I said, it's just my opinion. N let's face it, nothing said here is gunna change how much he charges, right? Haha! So no biggie :)

I just find your statements incredibly disrespectful to the acting industry.
But of course, you're entitled to your own opinions. I just don't agree with them.

TribalButterfly
06-14-2005, 10:15 AM
You’re entitled to think that. I dunno if I would go so far as to say I’m being “incredibly disrespectful” but I do understand that you have a brother in the acting business, and because of that, this topic might just hit a bit closer to home for you, and that’s ok. :)

I’m just saying in my opinion that I think 150 dollars is a bit much to expect out of people. Not everyone can afford that, n just because someone can’t afford it doesn’t make them a “lesser fan”.
Something like $20 might be a little more reasonable. And for that low a price He’d probably even get more visitors - which I’m sure would cover the difference in price if you take into consideration how many more people might want to visit him for only $20 a pop.
I think that's fair. :heart:

JustinCredible
06-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Like for example, there was one actor at the con last year (who’s name I will not mention) who was down right RUDE! Firstly, he did not have a sign up stating there was a fee to see him, and then when u got up to him, he demanded your money! :untrust:
And if you didn't pay up, he didn't even look in your direction!
I thought that was very rude. He was acting like he didn't even want to be there.

A couple of years ago Andy Hallet appeared at CN and was doing a Karaoke night and then Signing and doing Q&As in the morning. They charged folks $50 or so dollars to attend these events (which included Nicolas Brendon). Andy was filming an episode ("The House Always Wins") that was heavily focused on his character (Lorne) and was busy that entire week filming the episode in Las Vegas. In fact to work within the filming schedule and appear he left the set, hopped on a plane, hopped off the plane and was driven directly to the karaoke night where he spent the majority of the night. Next morning bright and early he was chained (not literaly) to a table and signing stuff still suffering with Jet Lag and a hang-over. And after he was done... on a plane and back to go back to filming.

He would have smiled more if he had more coffee possibly.

No one's saying that... but its a case of supply and demand. Simple economics. There is a huge demand and limited product that has a pricey cost to produce (appear). There's going to be a higher sales price. Fan or not.

I’m just saying in my opinion that I think 150 dollars is a bit much to expect out of people. Not everyone can afford that, n just because someone can’t afford it doesn’t make them a “lesser fan”.
Something like $20 might be a little more reasonable. And for that low a price He’d probably even get more visitors - which I’m sure would cover the difference in price if you take into consideration how many more people might want to visit him for only $20 a pop.
I think that's fair. :heart:

Limited product. There is only one of him and he has a limited time that he's available = 1) Limited amount of signatures he can give out. 2) Limited amount of pictures together can be taken. 3) Limted amount of people can fit into one room for a Q&A.

I bet there are huge fans of his that can't even afford $20... is that fair? Thats how the world is. There are people who year after year pay for Lenoard Nimoy, Shatner, Stewart, etc... You want them to lower the price and for them to do more autographs? Then expect the cost of admission for everyone to go up drasticly, the con to cut events to stay within the budget, then hope you can get the guests to be available for more then a couple of hours and be prepared for many of guests people want to see to turn them down because they can't schedule that much time away from work.

So with $20 a pop then the guest has to recoup his losses and as you are correct in saying many more people will probably see him, but he'll have to be there longer to see those people. Time he or she might not have .

Also just for clarification. Bronze tickets for Mr. Wood are $65 dollars, Silver $119 and Gold is $169.

There have been many a guest that I have wanted to see, but rathered spending money at stuff on the con or stay at a hotel. I could have easily sacrificed, but I made a judgement call and decided against doing it. Sucks... but thats what Kurtis Blow refers to as 'The Breaks'.

Vicky
06-14-2005, 03:46 PM
Thank you very much, Justin.

You read my mind! I was JUST going to post about how not ALL the tickets are $149, as it seems she did not read the details before posting. Thank you!

I said I don't think _I_ can justify $149 because if i WERE to buy tickets, I'd buy the best ones.

Seed-chan
06-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by TribalButterfly
Frankly, if you aren't a big enough a fan, then why the hell would you chaulk out that money anyways? And if you can't afford it, then don't buy it. It's not like you HAVE to go see so-and-so to have fun at the con or anything.

Yuna-X2
06-14-2005, 09:16 PM
Remember, these stars aren't as rich as they seem. Loads of their money will go to agents and stuff... And they may never get a job again, so they need to take advantage of it. Elijah Wood (or Daniel Radcliffe, or Hayden Christensen, etc etc) could easily be typecast as Frodo (or Harry, or Anakin) for the rest of their life and never get a decent job again. They need to make as much as possible from what they can, incase something does happen and they don't get a job for 5, 10 years. It's tougher than you think, really.

Vicky
06-15-2005, 08:28 AM
Well said everyone!
I'm so relieved that other people see it for what it is and not as some kind of rip off.

ThePluth
06-20-2005, 04:30 PM
I just checked CNA's website and Scott Mcneil has been included on the guest list. Kirby, Richard and Scott all at the same time....thats scary in a funny way...lol

Kaijugal
06-21-2005, 10:40 AM
For someone who wasn't intending on going to CNX, I know I squeled when I saw the most recent Guest List updates.
Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, sold me on going to CNX right away.
But I enjoy the Horror section more than the Anime section, to be honest (please don't hurt me XD).
So I'm pumped! Their guest list surprised the hell out of me this year :D

I have to agree. I LOVED the horror part of the Expo last year. Rue Morgue did a FANTASTIC JOB! XD I had the best time I've ever had at the show, and that's even with working. ^_^
Meeting George Romero was really great and John Kassir was cracking me up all weekend. ^_^ Definately my favorite part of the show. (Admittedly thanks to Rue Morgue Hobbystar has hit on something the fan run cons here don't have, which in a way is nice as it gives me something to enjoy while I run the masquerade).

They have great guests this year. I'm definately going to try and make Bobbie Weiner's makeup demo this year. ^_^

Kaijugal
06-21-2005, 10:57 AM
I can see there is some confusion on how alot of these expos run.

Often the reason an expo can "afford" so many guests is because the guests make up thier "appearence fee" themselves thru autograph or ticket money.

It costs money for the stars to fly, stay, eat, and they loose money in very lucrative work while they are gone as well. With such a large list of guests the total in appearance fees gets quite high if Hobbystar paid them all their appearance fees in total, (like smaller fan run cons like Toronto Trek and Anime North do), they would have a much smaller guest list, most likely on par with the local fan runs.

It's all a case of deciding what system you want to support, and how badly you would like to see certain stars that fan run conventions may never be able to afford.

Here is the way Toronto Trek does it , just for an example.

Toronto Trek's policy is: if an actor is getting an appearance fee, they supply 1 (one) free autograph to each attendee who requests an autograph (this does not include the price of a photo or any item they are selling, but if you bring your own photo or item it costs you nothing. :) ). This is tracked through the TT autograph card supplied with each membership at registration.
However, some actors waive their appearance fee and come to TT on their own. TT assumes the fans would prefer the opportunity to meet these additional actors and for this reason, we allow these actors to appear at TT. These actors CAN (some don't) charge for an autograph and will NOT appear on the autograph card. (presumably to recoup the expenses of thier trip and hotel stay as the convention isn't paying for that).

Autograph and Photograph prices will vary. The price of a photo may include the autograph or it may not. Photos may come in different sizes, they may include other autographs, etc., etc. All of these factors make it difficult to post the price information in advance. But here are some estimates based on past experience:Photos: B&W $5-$10
Colour $15-$20
Autographs: $10-$35

Anyhow I just thought that might make things a little clearer, you can see there are reasons, (other than the dreaded "greedy corporate bastards" idea). ^_^

I hope this is helpful.
Cheers!
~Dawn :)

Vicky
06-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Excellent, thanks Dawn! *cheer*
Yaye! Someone has the same appriciation for Rue Morgue's work in the Horror Expo! I couldn't believe how wicked it was last year, and I can hardly wait to see it this year~! ^_____^

TheWestWind
06-21-2005, 09:13 PM
I wanna see Michael Sinterniklaas again! *cries* I like the NY voice actors...
But about the cost and all... I went to CN last year with a friend. I loved all the anime guests, they were really cool (The ones that didn't take an hour wait to see at least, I'm not very patient when it comes to that...).

But I noticed the other guests weren't as nice... My friend had to pay $20 for an autograph with one of the Sci-Fi guests, but a picture with them was free apparently.

I don't completely agree with the high ticket prices, but then again, I'm not really interested in any of the people you needa pay to see. But if, say, Michael Sinterniklaas costed $100 to see, I don't think I would be too happy. I don't go to the convention with a whole lot of money, and I wouldn't wanna spend most of it on seeing a guest for an hour or two, no matter who they were. I know time is money and all, but another thing I know is that you shouldn't pay money just to look at another person and maybe get them to sign something.