PDA

View Full Version : I need a challenging costume

Squall_009
05-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Ok I guess you need a really hard costume to win a cosplay contest...so here are my stats...I can work a basic sewing machine...im taking classes all summer...my friends an expert at sewing...and I can do really good fx makeup..
i need costumes for Anime festival orlando, Jacon, and Megacon
...please help I really want to win....Oh and im cosplaying hiei with a latex jagan...and the dragon wraps around my arm and almost comes off it...but I need other costume ideas...
ps. Im a girl

Clueless Case
05-14-2005, 10:47 PM
Trinity Blood..i have yet to see a good accurate american cosplay of i.

Singe
05-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Well. I'd take a look at some of the J-Rock/Pop groups that are out there. The first one that pops into my head is any recent T.M. Revolution outfit due to the tons of small details that most people don't have the time to do, not to mention the awesomeness (is that a word?...) of some of the costumes.

And as far as the really hard costume thing to win a costume contest...that's not generally true. Most contests are divided by skill level and experience and judged on a variety of things, though a well made costume always helps.

Nina Star 9
05-15-2005, 12:16 AM
ah, megami-sama. when do you need this by? i hope you ahve a lot of time. XD i was about to suggest tsukiko amano in teh koe video, but the single will be released july 27th. ^^;; there is only a small portion of her costume released. ^^ (and i already want to cosplay it.)

zekitty
05-15-2005, 10:12 AM
I REALLY agree with Saeto... And on a personal note, I can't see why anyone would want to make a costume of a character they don't really like/know/want to cosplay unless the costume is complex.

But if you want a hard cosplay, cosplay Nightmare from Soul Calibur, a gundam from the Gundam series, or maybe something from Final Fantasy X-2 like Alchemist Yuna or Warrior Rikku? In my opinion, the most complex costumes out there involve armor and hard-to-make accessories.

hoshikage
05-15-2005, 11:56 AM
I'm with Saeto on this one. The trouble is, you cannot ever guarantee that you will win something. You cannot control what other people will bring to the contest, you see. Or what the judges will like. (Or for that matter, sometimes even what the judges will SEE! They might not get to see your hard work up close at all!) If your goal is to do your best, and have fun, that is a goal you can acheive, every time. Trouble is, if your goal is to win - sometime, inevitably, you won't. If you go into cosplay determined to win, you are, in effect, merely setting yourself up for disappointment.

Squall_009
05-15-2005, 01:43 PM
thanks for some Ideas...but really Im not fueled totally by winning ...I have done a few simple costumes..Van from escaflowne..and kurama from yu yu hakusho...but I want a challenging costume...Im just bored with the simple costumes...I see so many people make so many good costumes and not win..somone did sheshomarru( her name was misty) and had the claw arm that he replaced his real one with...hand made armor...beutifully done fx work and they looked right over her for the easily done costumes...personally I think the judges just pic people they know personally or friends..I would just like somthing to show for hard work...and a good costume that looks clean and nice...Im trying to go as more girls but I cross play...I was thinking sakura from naruto(yes its overdone)...but I need some more ideas...some j- rockers(I love dir en gray..) or some video game char...I was thinking also of doing duo maxwell(shinigami version) but I need alot of time for the wings..oh by the way thanks sato you gave me some very good advice.. :jjacks: I didnt think anyone would post ...

Digital Blush
05-15-2005, 02:04 PM
if you want to make a challenging costume go through the list of your favorite characters.. one is bound to be a challenging costume @_@.

Nina Star 9
05-15-2005, 02:46 PM
if you want to make a challenging costume go through the list of your favorite characters.. one is bound to be a challenging costume @_@.
well, i know that in my case, i want a challenging, detailed, colourful costume, but i know of no characters at all with a costume like that. ^^;

Squall_009
05-15-2005, 02:52 PM
well, i know that in my case, i want a challenging, detailed, colourful costume, but i know of no characters at all with a costume like that. ^^;
I know how you feel...thats what I was aiming at... :bigtu:

Nina Star 9
05-15-2005, 03:01 PM
how some people on here tends to think they can choose what everyone else feels seems kinda wrong to me, but, whatever... at least i understood what you mean! XD

Squall_009
05-15-2005, 03:07 PM
how some people on here tends to think they can choose what everyone else feels seems kinda wrong to me, but, whatever... at least i understood what you mean! XD
I didnt mean it that way...I was just saying I know kinda what you mean not how you feel....

Nina Star 9
05-15-2005, 03:10 PM
no, i was not reffering to you! not at all! i was refering to all the people that assume things and say things like "just cosplay what you like". well, what is there are no costumes that you kknow of that you like or want to cosplay? what is you want somethign differnt? tha tis what i meant. sorry. ^^

kiwi
05-15-2005, 03:43 PM
There is an elegance in "simplicity". Most trained judges are more awed by something done immaculately well than something extremely complex that isn't hemmed correctly. Start with what you can do well, and work from there. As others have said, you will be extremely disappointed if you make an elaborate costume for the sole purpose of winning and then don't win. It's very difficult to win a cosplay award; not only is there a lot of competition for a small number of awards, but also every judge has different tastes and looks for something different. It's impossible to know how any judge at a given con is going to lean.

If all you want is attention, pick a costume of a popular male hero. You'll get attention then whether or not it's a complex costume.

dead pixle
05-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Trinity Blood..i have yet to see a good accurate american cosplay of i.

I think this is an awsome version of it tho: http://www.storms-end.com/japanphotos/040116_axtokyo/055_trinity_blood.jpg

Squall_009
05-16-2005, 07:34 PM
I dont want attention...and quoting what ninga said..I hate how people here judge people and think the know what the other persons thinking....Im just plainly asking for a challange...I cant come up with a costume that would challange me in fx makeup or props....I gust want a simple but hard costume....nothing like lu lu from FF10...I would like to win somthing but It's a dim possibility...I just want to have fun...and even though im a girl....I love challange...I have till next march to make another costume...my sewings getting better...but im pretty good in special effects makeup..and latex...
except for latex body suits...way to hard and expensive...

Eleryth
05-16-2005, 09:02 PM
You're looking for: colorful, challenging, complex?

Try Ladrinne from the new Magna Carta: Crimson Stigmata game. I have yet to see a really good one. No one I know of state-side has attempted this one yet. It appears to me to be one of the most complex from that game and difficult to pull off well.
http://pds.egloos.com/pds/1/200409/15/05/b0034105_0453336.jpg

There's also quite a few from War of Genesis - chicks with armor and weapons (Ladrinne doesn't have any). You can check out WOG and MC art at www.naimoka.com and http://www.hyung-taekim.org/.

Video games tend to have a lot of colorful challenging costumes. The Dynasty Warriors series has a few (sengokumusou, I think it is in Japanese). For video game art, check out www.rpgfan.com and www.rpgamer.com (or search google). Just browse thru the games and their galleries. You never know what you'll find.

I personally don't find most of the individuals in TB to be all that colorful. They are detailed, though.

I've recently stumbled upon more game artists... you might want to try something from Limha Lekan's work (www.maxxsoul.com) or from AGA's (http://www.agasang.org/). The game art coming out of Korea is really awesome.

AeonisPi
05-19-2005, 02:30 AM
I know how you feel...thats what I was aiming at... :bigtu:

actually I've been running into the same problem.. after planning so much Sailor Moon cosplay I'm kinda yearning for something a little different but haven't really watched types of animes that would lend to such .. sometimes one never comes across the things they're really looking for in what they watch like today i totally fell in love with this image of Princess White Rose for SaGa Frontier but know absolutely nothing about it.. never even heard of it.. but the costume is more up my alley in terms of what I envisioned my next challenging cosplay to be^^

Nina Star 9
05-19-2005, 09:57 AM
ha! legend of mana has some pretty meat stuff. i get dibs on florina! my diana and the main character pictures refuse to upload. ;; i will go and resize them later. at least you can see florina.

deadXXreckoning
05-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Squall_009,
I don't think anyone here is trying to "judge" you, but we kind of have to try and figure out what you're thinking to answer your question. I think the problem is that no one really seems to understand exactly what you're asking, and I don't really blame them. You want a "...simple but hard costume..." ...what?

So let me get this straight... you want to make a costume that is:
1.) a challenge, but not something that's completely insanely difficult,
2.) colorful, vibrant, an attention-grabber, although getting attention is not your primary goal,
3.) unique and different, not the same old thing, etc. and...
4.) it'd be cool to win something with it, but if not, that's cool too, as long as it kicks ass and it's an accomplishment.

Sound about right? Uh... welcome to the club. I'm not trying to be a jerk or something, if that's what it sounds like, but I think we all sort of feel that way, you know? I don't know if I can really help the situation, but I've been in your shoes. I'm sure we all have at some point, anyway, here's a link. It has about 100 bazillion characters from anime, although it's kind of a pain to go through each one. Other than that, there are a few cool female characters I know of that I, being a broad-shouldered male, will never be able to cosplay accurately enough (I couldn't resist being Samara. I had to!!). I'm also a fan of latex, if you couldn't tell by the avatar, and the costumes below have opportunities to use it for basic fx and stuff (scars, etc.).

This is the character database (male & female). NOTE: Some of these profiles have spoilers, so watch where you click...
http://www.absoluteanime.com/chars.php

This is Zakuro from Ninja Scroll, a movie EVERY anime fan should watch. Great story, very cool characters, old school; classic good vs. evil. Zakuro is one of the "Eight Devils of Kimon", each badasses with unique "gifts". She is ruthless, covered with scars and stitches. She packs her captured victims full of explosives (still alive), sews them up (eyes, mouth, everything), and then turns them into unwitting suicide bombers, triggering the explosives with a cloud of gun powder from a distance. I don't know if anyone's ever done this, but I would LOVE to see someone attempt this costume...
http://www.inetres.com/gp/anime/ns/ns07.jpg
http://www.inetres.com/gp/anime/ns/ns08.jpg

Freya from Final Fantasy IX is another great character that's rarely done, and even then I don't think anyone's attempted her true face, which is, as you can see, not human. You'd be recognized for sure in this one, and you'd get MAJOR props for doing the face (latex anyone?). If I find the time, and a willing female model, I'm so doing Freya. That last line sounded terrible, didn't it?
http://www.ffcompendium.com/chara/9-freya-c.jpg

Other than that, about the only advice I can give you is look around. I mean, it sounds stupid, but watch a bunch of anime you've never seen before, or rent some fighting games (always a good source for vibrant costumes and kickass females). Although it may sound overdone simply by being associated with Final Fantasy (some people think that, I don't), how about an Amano version of ANY female character from the series? That's like 40+ characters right there. You'd get recognized for sure, everyone loves them, and a good Amano costume commands respect...

Also, something to remember. Doing an "easy" costume isn't always easy when it's done as accurate as possible. I'd rather see a dead-on, 100% correct, "popular/easy" character like FFVII/KH's Cloud, than a "duct tape and posterboard" full-scale Optimus Prime or something. Look at Lord Masamune's gallery for example. It is IMMEDIATELY obvious that his Cloud costume ( http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=25537 ) is perfect (much like his Sephiroth http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=67064 ), and he stands out in a sea of other Clouds because of it.

Not to toot my own horn, but what is Samara? A wig and a dress, and some makeup. I spent probably close to 30 hours working on ripping/staining/preparing the dress to be as accurate as possible, and close to 4 hours covering my arms, legs, and face in "dead skin" latex and makeup (should've gotten more closeups, dammit!!). Yeah my wig was a POS, and there are things I'll do differently if I ever decide to bring her to an actual con (only went out to a few bar/clubs on Halloween), but I wore the contacts, went barefoot on city streets (paid for it with a few stitches), but I won three contests. It's not because I was all that great, but I put more effort into my costume than anyone else, and it showed, know what I mean?

Okay, I'm ending this novel... Good luck!! Let us know what you decide to do, k?

PS- I like your sig, (if it's not a joke). Cosplay is my anti-drug too. Well, art in general, but you know...

hoshikage
05-19-2005, 03:34 PM
Squall_009,
I don't think anyone here is trying to "judge" you, but we kind of have to try and figure out what you're thinking to answer your question.

This is entirely correct. Unfortunately, my psychic powers do not include mind-reading over the Internet (darn!) so I'm forced to go by words alone... and well, when I see things like "please help I really want to win," it gives me something of a different impression than you may have intended.

Another thing to consider is that people's ideas of what makes a great "challenging" costume may not be the same as yours. If I were in your shoes, I'd go hunting through image galleries to find what costumes looked cool to me, personally. Who knows, you might find a great new anime series or game that way.

Freya from Final Fantasy IX is another great character that's rarely done, and even then I don't think anyone's attempted her true face, which is, as you can see, not human. You'd be recognized for sure in this one, and you'd get MAJOR props for doing the face (latex anyone?). If I find the time, and a

Actually, just to set the record straight, there have been quite a few Freya cosplayers who have done the full face. Some of them, like me, did it via a full mask; I've seen at least two other cosplayers who used this method, and at least two more who did it via latex appliances. This is not to say of course that you shouldn't try and do your own take on the character; I'm just saying it has in fact been done. :)

broken water
05-19-2005, 09:55 PM
ferenan from magna carta
beyond the grave from gun grave
hmm and some of the summons from FF..like as in FF 3, the early ones.

Gyunyuu
06-08-2005, 12:19 AM
TADAAA! COMPLEX COSTUME!

You'll owe me.. though this one is alittle too complicated, I'm probably going to cosplay / crossplay it soon X3, I just need to lose about.. 15-20 more lbs .. to weigh 95-100lbs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/Hengeyokai/1115492181692.jpg

karinka Chick
06-15-2005, 04:23 PM
I would recommend choosing a costume you like and can do well instead of one that is elaborate. If you pick a costume that is above your skill level, you might not get as nice results as you would with a clean, simpler outfit, and a lot more frustration to boot.

I agree Saeto, you dont need an elaborite costume to win just a really nice costume take your time and dont make it look stupid I have seen people win doing Ranma Satome!

Guardian_Lulu
06-15-2005, 05:17 PM
if you really wanna do a very accurate costume of Lulu from FFX that would be pretty hard also Nanaki(Red XII) from FFVII he's a cat-dog thing so he's pretty hard XD. and Caith Sith from that same series. or you can also look at some of the outfits from FFX-2, or you can look around other final fantasy series theres alot of complicated ones i just cant mention them all of the top of my head x.x. you can try cardcaptor sakura some of hers are complicated or try one of the clow cards omg that be sooo kool. try clamp's work too they got some complicated characs. sorry ill post again when im not drawing so much of a blank x.x

Jujubeans
06-15-2005, 10:53 PM
Lulu is very challenging. The hairsticks are enough if you aren't good with polymer clay. Even my Lulu isn't that bad, but it needs improvements. Anyone from War of Destiny is challenging as well.