PDA

View Full Version : Arc The Lad Collection - Does anyone have any positive input??

Viral Harvest
01-14-2003, 10:13 PM
Because I don't....I don't see what the hype about this game is. I bought it and I think it's shamefully dissapointing. Am I missing something here??

I'm just looking for a good RPG to keep me busy for awhile that I haven't beat and I somehow ended up with this after I came out of my trance :(

Celine
01-15-2003, 02:04 AM
Arc the Lad is terrible. ^^ I couldn't get through the first game. Just... awful! Dated graphics, bad music, boring characters, etc! There is nothing good about it. Even the battle system is irritating. Supposedly the second or third game is better, but I didn't make it that far.

Which games have you played? And are you looking for another PSX RPG? ^^

Viral Harvest
01-15-2003, 10:52 AM
I didn't make through the first game as well because of those issues. There's just something about that game that really pushes you away. And if you played Final Fantasy Tactics before you played that game, forget it. That completely ruins the entire game right there. The battle system is way too primitive and has no unique features what-so-ever.

And yes, I'm looking for a new RPG for either PSX, PS2, DC, or GC. I've sucked the life out of just about every RPG for PSX at one time or another though. However, Lunar 2 caught my eye, because the first one was amazing. But if you guys know any others, let me know.

I was thinking about Suikoden 2 as well, but it's ridiculous to find nowadays (up to 70 bucks on Ebay!) and I heard nothing but bad news from the 3rd one but I could be wrong. After playing FFX and Kingdom Hearts, you start to become spoiled with which RPGs you play.

---Viral Harvest

Celine
01-15-2003, 04:09 PM
I'd recommend you wait a few weeks and get Skies of Arcadia Legend for the GC. It's going to be great, because the original was fantastic on the DC. And it's not just a remake- they added a ton of new stuff. ^_^ I can't wait to play it.

I thought Lunar 2 was vastly inferior to the original, but people have mixed feelings on it. Have you tried any of the Grandia series (particularly 2 for the DC)? It's made by the same people who did Lunar, so it's got some similarities (and, unlike Lunar, the battle system is fantastic).

Suikoden 3 is pretty good. Not nearly as great as KH, but it's an okay game. The first is still the best in the series. I would recommend Suikoden 3...

Viral Harvest
01-15-2003, 04:34 PM
I actually have both Grandias hehe, I bought the second one for PS2 awhile ago for 20 bucks, but I hear the DC one is better for some reason O_o;

I've heard very good things about Skies Of Arcadia for GC so perhaps I'll pick that up....now to figure out how I'm gonna return Arc The Lad, perhaps I'll assume the role of a tyrannical E-bayist and work my way from there to get rid of this shameful game or re-shrink wrap it and bring it back to EB :thumbsup:

---Viral Harvest

Yami_Shinsetsu
01-16-2003, 04:22 AM
Oh wow, Ragging Arc the lad, some people have been spoiled by Final Fantasy I see. The Original arc the lad came out in freaking 1995 or 1996 I dont recall the exact release date of the PS1 but it came out like a month or so after in Japan, so of course the graphics are going to suck. 2 Had a great story, I can't make a comment on 3 because I never got around to playing it.

Celine
01-16-2003, 01:22 PM
It does have bad graphics, period. Usually this isn't something I hold against a game, considering I still play SNES and Genesis games from time to time. One of my favorite PSX RPGs is Suikoden, which has some of the oldest and most pathetic looking graphics seen on that system. My gripe with Arc the Lad is that the graphics (in the first game) are *ugly* and all the characters are just weird little blobs on dark and dull looking backgrounds. I'm not comparing it to FF games, I'm just saying that on its own, it's unattractive. It's possible to have seriously dated graphics which don't offend your aesthetic sense.

Yami_Shinsetsu
01-16-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Celine
It does have bad graphics, period. Usually this isn't something I hold against a game, considering I still play SNES and Genesis games from time to time. One of my favorite PSX RPGs is Suikoden, which has some of the oldest and most pathetic looking graphics seen on that system. My gripe with Arc the Lad is that the graphics (in the first game) are *ugly* and all the characters are just weird little blobs on dark and dull looking backgrounds. I'm not comparing it to FF games, I'm just saying that on its own, it's unattractive. It's possible to have seriously dated graphics which don't offend your aesthetic sense.

Heh, actually I haven't seen as bad as Suiko 1 due to the re-using of character sprites lol.

dizzylizzy
01-17-2003, 02:11 AM
bought it..... still not unwrapped

Arc_The_Lad
01-17-2003, 03:49 PM
the first one is but a PREQUEL, #2 is the real game, #3 is a great sequel. I've been playing Arc 2 for 80+ hours and i'm still not done the side quest or beaten it.

Celine
01-17-2003, 08:39 PM
>the first one is but a PREQUEL, #2 is the real game,

So the second one was released before the first? Really? I thought that the trilogy was released in the proper order...

Viral Harvest
01-17-2003, 10:39 PM
Heh, well I ended up bringing it back anyway and got my cash back. I just settled for Gran Turismo 3 instead :) , so much for RPGs :p

Arc_The_Lad
01-19-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Celine
>the first one is but a PREQUEL, #2 is the real game,

So the second one was released before the first? Really? I thought that the trilogy was released in the proper order...

Actually Arc 1 and Arc 2 were supossed to be one big game, but working designs were behind scheduale and had to split the game.

Arc 1 - 1995
Arc 2 - 1996
Arc Arena - 1997 (i think)
Arc 3 - 1999

Zephyrs
01-19-2003, 07:25 PM
I played through the first one, wow that was the shortest RPG ever. 14 hours, and 6 were in that 50 level dungeon (which I didn't know was 50 levels until I got to the bottom... would have picked a better day to do it if I knew...) I guess the 2nd one's where it's at then, since the first one did NOT impress me at all and everyone loves Arc so. Looks like it's Arc II after WA and before Xenosaga...