PDA

View Full Version : vinyl advice...

XLainoftheWired
01-15-2003, 01:06 AM
Ok, guys, I posted a thread earlier about this that seemed to die away after a while, no prob, it was to vague anyway. I plan on cosplaying Jiima from chobits come this JACON 2003 and he obviously wears a rather long trench coat thingy made of black vinyl. Anything else he has shouls be simple but the main prob right now is getting a vinyl trench coat. I have seen them on websites for sale and what not, and on ebay, but nothing seems to match correctly. I was wondering, would it be smarter to just get a black vinyl trench coat and alter it by adding length to it with stock fabric or just getting a pattern somewhere for the coat and sewing a vinyl trench coat up myself the way i need it to be? The latter choise would require me to go get a butt-load of black vinyl fabric... and sewing skills for that matter. I atteched a pic, its very hard to see much, but it gives an ok idea. I am still trying to find a better still frame of him or character picture, if you have one please gimme some help. Thanks guys.

Oh yeah Jiima is the guy, Dita is the girl.

KuroBara
01-15-2003, 01:54 AM
Hmm...that's not a great reference for length. Buying a coat that's too short and adding could work, but it will be difficult matching the 2 vinyls. You could always order too long, then hem it. That would give you a little extra material to add the details with. In order to get it the way you want, you may need option #2- the butt-load of vinyl, sewing skills (relative, friend, class?) and a pattern. Good luck!

XLainoftheWired
01-15-2003, 12:48 PM
anyone else?

MargauxZ
01-15-2003, 01:01 PM
Same. What KuroBara said.

If you lengthen the coat though, you're going to have a seam SOMEWHERE that you might not want to show on the coat. And then you have to deal with the closures too. Adding? Respacing? But I can't really see the pic too well, so it may not be that big of a deal to you.

Making the coat from scratch is probably going to be easier and cheaper in the long run.