PDA

View Full Version : Spray Paint.....Sticky........not good!

TheLoneWolf
01-15-2003, 11:50 AM
Is there any set method for spray painting something? Why is it that whenever I spray-paint something,and even though I leave it for 8-12 hours to dry,that if I touch it,it sticks? Either the paint will come onto my hand,or the part of the costume etc,etc,etc....

chibi-dj
01-15-2003, 11:58 AM
hey.....sprey paint doesn't work on shoes either...(don't ask >.<)

Koumori
01-15-2003, 12:12 PM
I think it depends on what you're painting - like any paint, spray paint may not set on a non-porous surface like plastic or vinyl. if it's fabric that's giving you trouble... I have no explanation for you, unless the environment is exceptionally damp?

Himemiya
01-15-2003, 01:02 PM
there's clear stuff that you can spray over it... or, you could sand the surface of whatever you're painting first ^^

NeshaChan
01-15-2003, 01:35 PM
There are prep-sprays that you can spray on said item first to make the spray paint hold better. Also, I'd try to spray paint in an area that isn't too moist.. IE. don't do it in your basement or garage...

TyJILDown
01-15-2003, 03:03 PM
I made a mistake of spray painting my tap shoes for a recitital back when I was in 3rd grade...they never did dry even after weeks upon weeks...

Maybe because they were vinyl ;) lol I would think that is why.

Celine
01-15-2003, 03:45 PM
Check the can of spray paint you are using and make sure it doesn't have any warnings telling you not to use it on certain surfaces. I use spray paint all the time, on metal, fabric, wigs, shoes, and plastic, and I never have problems with it not drying... ^^ So I don't know what to tell you. What were you trying it on? I don't think the environment matters too much, because I've used it on my porch in the rain and snow...

TheLoneWolf
01-15-2003, 03:48 PM
Sculpy,Vinyl&Wood.

cutekawaii
01-15-2003, 04:31 PM
Spray paint generally doesn't work on plastic (vinyl). It doesn't have a means to stick to/absorb into the surface.

It doesn't stick on wood or sculpy?? Erm, what kind of paint are you using o-o

TheLoneWolf
01-15-2003, 04:39 PM
What I ment to say that it DOES come on sculpy,but never seems to set,i had one of my swords in my lap for the trip&the other in a plastic bag.Sure 'nuff,when the trip was over,one had a crinkle pattern on it,and my pants had a silver band across them -.-;; Both had been left for about a day to dry.
On another note, I pressed a pendant I had spray painted about a week ago,and voila! instant thumbprint of pendant....which was not good >.<;;

Koumori
01-15-2003, 05:09 PM
Hmm. Maybe you're using too heavy a coat of paint? Try using several very thin layers and letting it dry in between?

Dark Vision
01-15-2003, 05:51 PM
I agree, the coat maybe too thick, which means you have a nice solid coat of paint on top and a liquid mesh on the bottom. Either that or you have to use primer before you paint.

TheLoneWolf
01-15-2003, 06:55 PM
a primer for sculpey?

krystal1314
01-15-2003, 09:58 PM
I did the same thing with my vinyl Rikku belt, and the yellow got EVERYWHERE! I even tried those clear matte spray to get rid of the sticky-ness, but it didn't help x_x

SailorMo
01-16-2003, 03:28 PM
Hmm... with the wood and sculpy (haven't got a clue how to paint vinyl), besides spraying the paint on a little heavy, the only other thing I can think of is the type of paint you're using.

On sculpy, I've only used acrylic paints and the sculpy glaze for a clearcoat, and have never had a problem with it not curing.

Other than that, I've learned the hard way NOT to mix paint types. When I was making my Sailor Cosmos staff, I made the mistake of spraying the "color" with an enamel or polyeurethane and then clearcoating it with an acrylic gloss (or was it vice-versa??-- don't remember)... Basically, it resulted in a crackle finish I didn't want.

And I would definitely recommend priming whatever material you're using. The most common one is white, but you could use grey too. But make sure it's in the same paint family as the color and clearcoat! The other thing I've discovered when using acrylics, especially the metallics, the color you use for a primer will affect the tone of the color. For instance, a white base will make gold look lighter than from using a yellow base.

Overall, I would definitely recommend testing with any scraps first.

Rethul
01-16-2003, 05:24 PM
Sand everything very lightly first, then do a light coat. (Just enough so you can't see the real material beneath it.) Let that dry. Add one more light coat. Nothing more

NeshaChan
01-16-2003, 10:58 PM
Sculpt or Coat (http://www.sculpturalarts.com/foamcoating.htm) Is good stuff when it comes to making something paintable. I luuuuuv it.

Mazoku Priest
02-08-2004, 05:10 PM
hey.....sprey paint doesn't work on shoes either...(don't ask >.<)
My sneakers, sadly, say differently :waaaah: . The sculpy I was supposed to be working on didn't, though.