PDA

View Full Version : May From Guilty Gear

Ononoke
05-26-2005, 07:35 PM
I'm working on May from Guilty Gear right now and I've ran into a few problems. First of all, I'm not sure how I should make the hat, and secondly.. How should I make the anchor? People told me to shape it out of cardboard.. But Shaping it itself seems abit hard, any suggestions? Thanks! Below I've also added a picture of her.

May Guilty Gear (http://www.butik.pl/im/mediumthumbnail/8/1/817bf.jpg)

*Sugar*
05-27-2005, 11:52 PM
Those are the two hardes parts of the entire costume ^_^;; I've been working on my anchor for months, and re-made my hat at least 4 times before I got a shape I miiight be able to work with... I still need to re-make the hat one more time...

as for the hat, I just started with something flat, and cut out like a giant circle, and ... I'm still not exactly sure how to make the hat right... sorry, I'm not of much help in that category...

and for the anchor, I've been shapeing mine out of foam and I'm in the process of covereing it with fiberglass and bondo/resin... but that stuff is a pain to work with, I've heard of other girls useing paper mache and such, and it seems to work out well for them ^^ ... I guess alot depends on how you want to go about doing it... just keep in mind weight and size restrictions that some cons have...

Ononoke
05-31-2005, 03:30 PM
Okay, thanks so-so much for the help ^^

SuzukaZakuro
05-31-2005, 09:34 PM
heard of other girls useing paper mache and such, and it seems to work out well for them ^^ ... I guess alot depends on how you want to go about doing it... just keep in mind weight and size restrictions that some cons have...

I haven't made anything as big as that anchor, but paper mache could work. It takes a lot of layers, though. You could start off by making a skeleton in the shape of your anchor out of chicken wire, then layer on the paper mache. When you get it like you want it, you paint it. That's how I made my Magma Wheel for my Zhu Rong costume (from Dynasty Warriors 5).

Ononoke
06-03-2005, 04:50 PM
Actually, I think I am going to use paper mache, jsut putting together the main shape is going to be hard though.

indie_chixor
06-03-2005, 11:08 PM
Something else i saw at Fanime last week was a plush anchor. Looks like this:

Ononoke
06-04-2005, 09:43 AM
I was thinking about the plush.. But I want to make it look more realistic than cute :P

indie_chixor
06-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Well, i recently made a sword using a pretty easy method...

Use some Insulation foam (very sturdy- ours was pink) And use that. Its easy to carve.

Once you cut out the shape, you can use a hand-sander (my mom's mouse) or just some basic sand paper- to make it smooth. Once smooth, use some clear packing tape and cover it all the way. Then spray paint and paint as needed.

Heres two picture of the finished product:

*Sugar*
06-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Well, I finally finished mine {for the time being, I might go back to improve...}
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=371409
but yeah, I sugest against fiberglass and bondo, that was one of the worst projects I've ever done! x_x;; ... {and bondo burns... and I spilled it down my leg twice.. T-T} I've never used paper mache, but It's gotta be better/easier then the bondo/resin
It came out alright, but it was just tooo much x_x;;

as for a base, half of mine was shaped out of flower foam, but with the hard shell, it was durrible ^^

Dendrobium_Zero
06-13-2005, 12:27 PM
If you decide to use chicken wire and paper mache, try and find some chicken wire that's as small as possible. By that I mean having the smallest spaces between the wires, otherwise you'll get all of those unslightly dents where there are huge pockets of space between the wires.

SuzukaZakuro
06-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Dendrobium-Yes, I agree on the small hole argument. But, even if you have fair-sized space between the wire, you might be able to save it with millions of layers. @_@

Also, Even though I said use lots of layers, you have to be careful. There can be cracking and whatnot depending on the environment, and sometimes the wire can poke through. You’ve got to smooth the wire and make sure the edges are almost flat. I dried my weapon on the not-too-hot May days of Southern California. (Well, not too hot fro me, anyway).

Ononoke
06-19-2005, 08:36 AM
Alright, thanks so much!

And I love your anchor ^^

AyameChan
06-19-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm having trouble with the shoes... I was thinking about buying a pair of cheap hightop sneakers and then glueing the fabric in place... my machine's still having issues so sewing might not work, however, hand sewing it might give it a touch more bounce like the shoes have anyway. I dunno really. I'll have to look around at thrift stores this week... XP I'm not even bothering with my anchor til after AX... I can't afford it nor do I have the time. Good luck everyone.