PDA

View Full Version : Knight Saber Costume...a lesson in biting off more than you can chew...

RoxyKatz
01-15-2003, 04:24 PM
Well, a while ago, I had this fabulous idea to cosplay Nene from BubbleGum Crisis (THE ORIGINAL!!! I hate that 2040 crap X.x.....)....so I was like, Yeah! Knight Sabers outfit! NO ONE will have that...and then came the horrible task off making it. Well, needless to say, it got put on the backburner behind the plugsuit (yes, I know it's overdone *ducks shoes* but oh well ^^).....but I was thinking of actually finishing it.

Now, I've made the base out of spandex formed like a bodysuit (muahahahaaa.....I can easily sew spandex...ph33r me ^~), no problem. And I've rigged up an old motorcycle helmet to form the helmet.....but what in the heck should I use to make the armor??? I want something a little higher quality than say oh...posterboard, but I still want easy movability.

So, any suggestions? Comments? Shoes thrown at my head? All are welcome...but I'll warn you that I'm dodging all shoes ^~v!

Cynthia
01-15-2003, 05:24 PM
I was considering about making a Bubblegum Crisis hardsuit for the longest time (I still plan on doing one in the future, but when is uncertain). I suggest Fiberglass molded to your body-yes, I'm aware of the extreme *patience* that'll be required to do this, but in my mind I think next to actual sculpted metal, it's damn good.

P.S.-I also think 2040 should be taken out back and shot.

HiImKing
01-15-2003, 05:38 PM
For parts so small, the craft foam from Jo-Ann's should work fine...

Are you doing Episode 8? I prefer those designs over the old old starting ones... (perhaps it's a bias due to ep8's animation quality, shading and highlighting. :) )

The BGCrash Sylia's nice too. So every character has 5 hardsuits to choose from...

These aren't shabby 2040's... not the greatest, but, "good".
http://nagoya.cool.ne.jp/higashikariya/baburugum.htm

RoxyKatz
01-15-2003, 06:31 PM
Hrmmm...I had considered fiberglass, but again...the patience thing...however, I do think that would probably have the best results....then there's the task of WORKING with it...and I'm not too familiar with it X.x...but that is a very primo idea...I was also thinking, in a pinch, i could use fabric stuffed with fiberfill or something...so it would be like a giant marshmallow ^^...but then i wouldn't have the authentic armor feel....i feel all conflicted now ;.;.....

And yeah, ***HiImKing***, I was definitely going for the ep 8 look. ^~.

Lynx
01-16-2003, 11:27 AM
Maybe try sculpting it in foam and covering it in spandex. I know American Spandex has a large selection in many colors. That might work. That's what I ended up doing for my armor. Then of course there's vacuforming plastic....

soshi
01-16-2003, 11:47 AM
I have nothing to say besides I LIKE 2040! I like the original, but I like 2040 BETTER! ohohohoho!

Whisper
01-16-2003, 02:39 PM
I'm actually getting ready to start a hardsuit, though it may/may not be from BGC. So, through either fiberglass or vacuumforming plastic a body cast is a good thing, which means if you plan on taking one of those routes you'll want a couple friends there to help you out.

Tika
01-18-2003, 11:38 PM
I was thinking vinyl and foam might work. I dunno, i'm fairly new to this...

Saeru
01-20-2003, 12:09 AM
I use foam very frequently, since the thinner sheets can actually be sewn and still look impressive.

But this is the first time I've heard of using fibreglass or Vacuforming plastic. Is there some site out there that would explain it?

Amethyst Angel
01-20-2003, 12:26 AM
Tey http://www.bioweapons.com/ if you want to see how fiberglass can be used to make body armor (and if you want to see for yourself how gosh-darn hard a thing it is to do...)

Ragresen
01-20-2003, 06:41 PM
Your best option is to get a few friends over and a nice warm garague or basement and be prepared to have your friends take plaster bandages to make a body cast of yourself. This is a nice aproximate time of 3 to 4 hours of being on your feet. Do read the section from bio weapons site on how to do the body cast as it is really good and does work. Once you have a finished body mold that you can begin the sculptwork on then the real fun begins. you need to be sure you make it so you can get in and out as well as look good. With a hard suit it is not an easy task and I am still in the thoughts and ideas stage for a Episode 8 or crash version of Lenna.

As to 2040. It was good in some areas and bad in others.

HiImKing
01-20-2003, 08:06 PM
Ragresen: "you need to be sure you make it so you can get in and out as well as look good"...

To get in and out: Well, you can do it some simpler way, but in the anime... in many episodes of the anime, they do show how the suit opens up and closes. The mechanics of the open/closing doesn't seem to defy physics nor space, so it seems doable. Basically it just splits in half down the side seams... which would just be cutting the plaster mold right down the middle.

Look good: it's a skin hugging outfit... I don't think there's much you can do about that except however your body looks... You can't really pad your body.... that'll just make you look like a fatty super deformed hardsuit. :)

Hikaru
01-24-2003, 07:15 PM
They were selling parts of the hard suits at a local anime store where I live. I wonder if they're still there? Anyway, good luck! :)