PDA

View Full Version : Katsu...love it / hate it

Yui
01-15-2003, 10:13 PM
This is a thread created to appease our communal need to rant about Katsu. And to explore any possible good reasons for going.

Good = seeing the posse, meeting new peeps from the board in person, j-rockiness, a very well-planned fanart show

Bad = waffly policies concerning props and what constitutes as "decency", rude staff, expensive area & is far away...

Hopefully, the good's gonna outnumber the bad.

Recca-kun
01-15-2003, 11:13 PM
If it wasn't for meeting/hanging out with people and cosplaying I might be apprehensive about going, and it's an hour away for me at most. One person in my group works maybe a few blocks away, and I'm still trying to talk him into going for a day (he goes more for video games than anime, which is an area that Katsu has a record of not excelling in).

But as long as I get to see my friends again I'll keep going. :D

*Shuts up before he discourages more people*

Gingerbread Man
01-15-2003, 11:24 PM
I haven't had a problem with katsucon staff before, now for the weapons policy, I'll agree that is a little crazy, but what can you do, all my friends will be there, and where my friends are, I am.

Maryssa
01-15-2003, 11:30 PM
Umm I think that only happened at last year's katsu because of the new location... I dont recall hearing of problems with costumes before that, and its back in the old location again this year so...

Gingerbread Man
01-16-2003, 10:33 AM
Na, the weapons policy is instilled for the Crystal City location, I think it might have something to do with the fact that they were kicked out of the Merriot up in baltimore and they're trying to haul in the reins for this one.

Maryssa
01-16-2003, 02:30 PM
well not weapons, but the 'inappropriate' costume banning and stuff.

MargauxZ
01-16-2003, 02:49 PM
It really sucked that there was so much hotel staff/Katsucon guest tension last year.

I still had a great time. Katsucon 2002 is probably one of 2 favorite cons i've been to.

Nietsche
01-16-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Maryssa
Umm I think that only happened at last year's katsu because of the new location... I dont recall hearing of problems with costumes before that, and its back in the old location again this year so...

Those were my exact thoughts.
Just wrap up warm tho...Crystal City in February is not the tropical climates suited for skimpy outerwear!

John Booty
01-16-2003, 03:19 PM
Cons for me are mostly about seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Cosplay is the second-biggest thing... I like wearing costumes and taking hundreds of pictures of other people's costumes for my website.

I didn't like the policies at all regarding weapons and costumes but I've already dedicated a whole thread to that, so I'll say no more here.

I did have a good time last year anyway. An anime con is still an anime con, after all. Sort of like sex or pizza- even when it's bad it's pretty good!

edit: If anyone's managed to successfully combine sex and pizza, please tell the board about it and post diagrams if possible. Thanks! ^_^

Yui
01-16-2003, 04:58 PM
Um, I like pizza. Don't know about the other part. But I can see I'm gonna have to let you watch the Illuminati video afterall, if you're having those kinda thoughts. O_o*

I don't have major issues with the east coast cons to prevent me from going, but I'd never bother to come if nobody I knew was going to be there. That's why I was just surprised that everyone's is indeed coming this time when I had heard vows not to return last year. Oh well, I'm flexible, but this might be my last Katsu regardless since I'd rather save my money for the AX's and the new Chicago cons. And ACen. Hehe...ACen's the best, but not many have realized it yet...

Lady_Sephiroth
01-16-2003, 05:59 PM
I never had a problem with anything at the last 2 Katsucons I've been to, the decency thing last year was the hotel staff being irritating. Their weapons policy was alway like that, I think a LOT of Katsu bigwigs work in the defense industry or something like that and are just paranoid. Every con has its quirks, and that is Katsu's. It's still a great con!

arisuchan
01-16-2003, 07:11 PM
I think I will always have a special place in my heart for Katsu because it was the first con I ever went to! This is my fourth year coming up. Last year was probably the best for me. I liked it being in Baltimore because its closer for me and also our hotel room looked into the dolphin tank at the National Aquarium. At night you could see the dolphins jumping *^^*

Ayaka
01-16-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Nietsche
Just wrap up warm tho...Crystal City in February is not the tropical climates suited for skimpy outerwear!

I am from Chicago. I do not fear the winter; the winter fears ME. Muahahahah. Hah.

This will be my first Katsu, and I'm already a bit biased about them from what I've heard from people . . . I just hope all goes well, or at least that if bad things happen the good will outnumber them, like people have said.

And I still enthusiastically go to ACen even though my friends are kinda enemies with the director . . . ^^;;;; (They still go too.) Luckily I don't really need to "save" for ACen or Anime Reactor, since, well, I'm kinda here already lol. AX is another matter, but when I realized how many people from the board were doing Katsu, I HAD to go and I'm REALLY looking forward to it. I'm just going to go into it with a positive attitude and see what happens.

psythe
01-16-2003, 10:15 PM
My first Katsu as well. Just looking forward to meeting everyone so I can't see it being all bad ^_^

4 weeks left all :D

John Booty
01-17-2003, 05:43 AM
I've thought about replacing Katsu with ACen or AKon in my con-going schedule, but those two cons require flying. I can generally afford it if I save up, but my best con-going friends from around here are students or don't have the money for other reasons. So pick drivable cons mostly, so I can go with them. :P

Neko Cathy
01-18-2003, 11:39 PM
I'm the third person here to say that Katsucon is going to be my first. I have had friends go and say that it's great, but the security staff are total asses(especially w/ the weapon policy... one of the reasons why Fuujin won't be showing up). I'm hoping that it's going to be great, I'm not having any chaperones, hell yea.

Ayaka, the thing you said about winter just brighened my day. I'm posting it in my journal. :)

krystal1314
01-19-2003, 12:20 AM
It's gonna be my first time going to Katsu as well!!! I'm SO excited! ^_^ After all, it is the 2nd largest con in the East Coast!

*clings to Neko Cathy* Please bring your Fuujin, lol, I'm gonna be a weapon-less Rinoa too ^_^

kelldar
01-19-2003, 12:27 AM
same here, first time ^_^ Though that's as far north as I'm going this year.

Jin
02-12-2003, 05:38 PM
My FIrst but hey... i plan to enjoy it... ARRRGHHH