06-01-2005, 11:35 PM
Okay heres how it gos. I want to cosplay as my Harry Potter OC, I have been to a few sites that sell the stuff but it's to much money. Does any one have any sites or suggestions that would help me out. Oh yeah my OC is in Ravenclaw and I want to do the book colors not the movie. And I need a wand to.
I sites I have been to:
Hobbie's House of Wizard Wear!
06-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Ah, you're about to embark on a great endevor. The book-based raven claw can be a bit tricky.
Are you looking to commission or to create it yourself?
Here are some good sources for you:
1) You've been there, but Alivan's is really your best source for a quality wand. I reccomend going with the "Finneas' Wand Choice" as it is the best deal if you're short on cash. Granted, that is still a lot of cash. You may consider finding a short dowel and staining it to a desired color or creating a wand handle with Fimo. (Note - Fimo shrinks when baked!)
2) Go with a Blue tie. They're easiest to find. You may even find one at a local thrift shop
3) The patchplace.com has an excellent selection of raven badges and eagle badges. You may also consider a small "hogwarts" patch to dress your tie up. These, once again, are not the cheapest of items. If anyone is in doubt as to the what your costume is, however, the patch will announce the intent.
4) The robe is tricky. I have yet to find a student-robe pattern I am happy with. The pitch <http://www.geocities.com/qualityrobeshoppe/ThePitch.html> is by far the best quality and most economical I have seen. Its not likely that you'll pull off the look that well for less on your own. Worst case in budget - I say forget the robe. Please no one flame me for saying that.
5) Why forget the robe? Well, with a proper student's uniform you can still pull off a student look. Granted, people will know exactly what you are if you're standing in a Harry Potter fan line somewhere, but if you're at a random coctail party you may not be recognized. As you're going book, you're also released from the constraint of the gray of the movie. For an idea of what a uniforms may look like see <http://www.schoolyard.co.uk/index.asp>. Probablility is you have half the needed items in your closet. Further, you can assemble what you don't have with some thrift and consignment shop searching.
6) Still want that robe? JoAnn's, until June 11th, at many locations is having a nearly universal 40% fabric sale. Walmart also has their $1 a yard stuff at some locations but I really reccomend not using cotton as it just doesn't "feel" right when you look at robes made of the stuff.
06-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Yeah I don't think im gonig to get or make a robe.
06-20-2005, 02:28 PM
I think Im going to just buy my stuff from Hobbie's House of Wizard Wear.