PDA

View Full Version : How much money to bring...

Kurumi
01-16-2003, 09:18 AM
*waves* hiya guys! Well Rumi wants to know exactly how much money is enough to get good stuff from the kon. n_n im not the only poor chik here right? lookin for some reply's!!

~*Kurumi

psythe
01-16-2003, 09:22 AM
Depends on what you are looking for in particular, but a good rule of thumb is to leave the cards at home and bring a set amount of cash because believe me, you WILL NOT be able to buy everything you want.

Do some research on average prices of what you are looking for (art books, figures, statues, etc.) and plan the budget accordingly.

There is no greater temptation of overspending than that of a Con :D

Recca-kun
01-16-2003, 10:03 AM
Unless you're stingy like me. :D

Seriously though, make sure to plan ahead (what psythe said) and set aside the money for registration, hotel, and FOOD so that you don't spend that too.

Kurumi
01-16-2003, 10:36 AM
*gasp* dudes i totally forgot about food...that should have been atop of my list since my last incident at the kon lastyear..I walked around for 10 hours and for at least 3 of them i had a headache! >_< my tummy wasn't giving me the signals it should have....but yes! I agree...that seems like a good plan to look up prices and spend moola wisely. BUT IT BURNS!! IN THE POCKETS IT BUUUURRRNNNSS!! ...Rumi will just have to keep saving the dollas!! ...

Oh yeah and one more question....what's the most you've ever spent at a kon? Last year I didn't find too much stuff that I wanted so I spent somewhere around 120 greeners! n_n One of the dealers asked me how much I spent and he told me I was a whimp!! Can we say harsh?..

~*Kurumi*~

psythe
01-16-2003, 10:43 AM
Megacon 1998 just got out of hand and I ended up blowing like 500 bucks on merchandise. I now have a list of items that I search for and thankfully it is 2 items long at the moment ^_^

Carmila
01-16-2003, 11:04 AM
I am pretty conservative when it comes to Cash at a con. My main concern is food and what have you. You always have to factor that in, or bring it with you!

Yes, just keep in mind what you want to buy and figure it out from there! I would probably say for a big con like that, a couple hundred if you really want to splurge!

Recca-kun
01-16-2003, 12:18 PM
My dealer's room max? $150. Done about that three times now. My lowest was none (done that twice), after that would be $40. ;)

Edit- If you factor in hotel, food, registration, etc. though it starts racking up fast. ;)

Originally posted by Kurumi
One of the dealers asked me how much I spent and he told me I was a whimp!! Can we say harsh?..~*Kurumi*~ Can we say dealer is an idiot who is a)trying to get you to buy more since he's a dealer himself, or b)trying to say that he's a bigger fanboy (I'm using it non-gender in this case) because he burns his entire wallet? ;)

Kurumi
01-16-2003, 03:14 PM
*laughs* yeah Recca-Kun He might have just been trying to get to sell me somthing....sometimes I think the money clogs the deakers' itsy bitsy heads! This one guy offered me hentai...(let's just say i had no idea on what to do...i wanted it...but then again I didn't want to look like a purv. n_n ) but I was a good girl and say no. *dances* but if I really am such a whimp...i'll try to find him this year and I'll have a little chat with him! *evil laugh*

About the food....did anyone try the pizza at that one stand in front of the video room upstairs?! X_X all i could tatse was chared-crust! yuck yuck!! I think i'll bring some snacks this year! (but no matches...fire isn't good...especially not inside)

~*Kurumi

Sakura
01-16-2003, 04:21 PM
I only brought 95$ last year T_T I was soooo sad that I couldn't get everything I wanted. This year I will probably have less because I have to pay my own way there.

Alanna-chan
01-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Everything in Baltimore is expensive. But I didn't even bring $100 last year, plus I had to pay fr registration and I actualy had money left over. But I didn't buy much and I was only there for 1 day. You should probably bring $200-$300 and some food.

Resuka
01-16-2003, 09:01 PM
If you really want to save cash, you can always volunteer to be a Gofer at the con- they provide food, and reimburse you for the entrance fee and some of the hotel costs if you work enough hours ^_^

http://www.otakon.com/volunteering.html

Celine
01-16-2003, 10:38 PM
I only bring about $40 to a con. Since I book the room for my friends 95% of the time, I don't have to figure in hotel expenses (usually $40-60, depending on where and how many people you stay with). Bringing $40 is more than enough to cover food and that one item from the dealer's room you just can't live without.

Dealer's rooms are overpriced. You're better off scoping out items that look cool and then searching for them online.

NeshaChan
01-16-2003, 11:15 PM
I bring all my food with me, like snacks for our hotel room that all my friends can eat, so nobody has to spend $ on food, unless we all order a pizza or something. Snack food went over well, I brought bread and peanut butter & cookies & soda & stuff. Cheap & good. As for spending money.. I saved $200 for the con.. >___> I didn't spend it all though....I had about $50 left, and mostly I bought gifts for friends.

Koumori
01-16-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Kurumi
Well Rumi wants to know exactly how much money is enough to get good stuff from the kon.

How much you got? ;)

KuroBara
01-16-2003, 11:44 PM
A great part about cosplaying is that being stopped for photos keeps you away from the dealers' tables. Seriously, listen to psyth3. Preregistering is also a good idea, it'll free up some cash and time.

Gingerbread Man
01-17-2003, 12:12 AM
I've spent around $300 at a dealers room...I admit, I have a problem, but to be honest, I don't really care cause my anime collection is enormas. Oh and about food, after gophering at Anime USA and running from 6 saturday morning to 8 that evening on nothing but trident, I always set $100 for food. That way, I'm never hungry, and the excess I can use to bail my friends out and buy them some trident.

Romann
01-17-2003, 12:12 AM
Yes...that is the key rule of all cons :Leave the credit cards at home!!!

If youre like me and go gung-ho everytime you see something you want, when you take a certain amt of money, you wont spend it as fast...i.e-"If I buy this Gundam kit, I wont be able to eat for the next day" so on so forth.

Also, make a budget before you go and stick to it...
-food for 3 days
-shopping for 3 days
-parking( if necessary)same for gas

and so on...hope it helped...

Oshi
01-17-2003, 01:05 AM
No, Noir... THe rule is; always bring a credit card just in case something happens. But never use it in the dealers room, 'course..

Kurumi
01-17-2003, 08:52 AM
Use credit card in dealers room?...That's a big ten-NO! *giggles* i don't even think mom will let me out of the house with that thing. To her, Money+Anime=Asprin for the rest of the night. n_n but she'll live! (im almost certan she will...i hope...eep!)

~okay so now the prce range i getting lower and lower and lower! hmm....I'm going to bring more that 300 though....but three days.... *whines* where's my calculator!!!! It's too early to be thinking like this! ( oh and t Noir, Oshi, and gingerbread n_n thankyou lotz !! )

~*Kurumi- So what happens after the money is gone and the night has come....hotel parties anyone? n_n teeheee!

Carmila
01-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Hotel Parties? Well, yeah! Isn't a con all about the costumes, anime and liquor? Or is that just AWA?

Lady
01-17-2003, 02:49 PM
I think how much money to take depends on a few factors, but mainly whether or not you're a miser or if you want to spend, spend, spend. I'm pretty darn tight with my money, so I have no problems taking and using my credit card in the dealer's room (most I've ever put on it was $60, I think, and I spent like $65 total in the dealer's room last year). But you'll want to be sure you have some actual cash with you to cover yourself if you find a dealer who only accepts cash.

Like it's been mentioned before, do a little looking and compare prices of various items, then make a top 5 (or 10) list of items you just have to buy if you see them for a decent price. (My first con I got ripped off big time because I didn't do my research...paid $50 for a doujin that not only didn't have the kind of action in it that I was led to believe it had, but on eBay it sells for about $10).

For food you can plan on spending about $15-25/day to cover breakfast, lunch, dinner, and any quick snacks along the way (though if you get a complimentary breakfast at your hotel, that'll cut at least $5/day off of your expenses...maybe more if you hoard some food and keep it in a cooler in your room for later).

Besides my hotel room costs, I usually take about $200-300 in cash with me, but then again, when I do Otakon, I spend a few days at my friends' apartment, so I have to factor in money to spend while I'm with them. If I only did the expenses for 3 days of Otakon, I'd take around $150 with me, plus the credit card in case anything came up (or I ran out of funds via someone stealing them or me letting people borrow some money).

And remember, always take advantage of your hotel's safe box to store your valuables while you're out of your room! When you leave your room, you should only be carrying what you'll need for the day; that way if you are robbed in person or by hotel staff (it happens), you won't be out any substantial amount of money.

That was longer than I'd intended*eyes swirl* But I hope it made sense and that it helps you out!

-Lady

Kurumi
01-21-2003, 09:01 AM
Thankx to all that have helped me out so far!! I really appreciate it! n_n I just hope that I don't splurge too much now!! *hehe*

~*rumi

Dinahsprodigy
09-10-2004, 03:37 PM
I plan to bring about $150 for AWA 10...food, items I want (I've found I spend more on artwork by artists than anything in the dealer's room), liquor and gas.

Shinigami_Mimi
09-12-2004, 12:47 PM
I spent over $370 at Otakon this year. X.x So basically no matter how much you bring you end up spending it all unless you have the strength to say,"No more." XD Lol. But even if you have a lot of money you should know that dealer's rip you off a few times and that you should look for a good deal. ^^

As for money on other things you do need money for food, the con admission, dealer's room, parking, the stupid hotel -_-;; (which charges state tax & city tax), I agree with gas, and anything else for extra entertainment. I have to say Otakon was really the most expansive con I've ever been too. X.x

Dymatrex
09-14-2004, 09:18 AM
I'd say around at least $200 to $250 or even $300. There is a LOT of stuff that is sold at the dealer rooms at Otakon, and some of them might be somewhat expensive, so extra money is always a good thing, ESPECIALLY when you get hungry and need to buy food.

Azhures
10-02-2004, 01:14 PM
I cant say in particular I am good with money O.o.... I would most likely bring food with me... Maybe hook myself up with a minifridge.....

I have attended certain events where I ran out of money (stupid gambling and stuff with friends)... I lived off chips, soda, and some old bread for the entire week... I came home and was sick for a few days too....

point is, bring some nonperishables (canned or dried) foods.... And if you have the privelage of bringing a mini fridge... Bring one, and snag some "from the fridge" foods... Like lunchmeats, cheeses, bacardi... whoops... going into my list.... lol j/p. But if you do have the awesome privelage of bringing a mini fridge then do it. It certainly would be worth doing.