PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Canada being represented at the World Cosplay Summit?

Kaijugal
06-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Why isn't Canada being represented at the World Cosplay Summit?

Comments? Ideas?

Oselle
06-02-2005, 03:45 PM
I hadn't even heard of this until I read something about it on a different set of forums...can you direct me to more info?

That being said, GRAR for Canada not being represented - there are extremely talented Canadian cosplayers/costumers, coast to coast. What can we do about it?

Mekou
06-02-2005, 04:18 PM
I only jus theard about this now. o_O So more info would be great.

But yeah, that's a bit strange that Canada isn't being represented.

Lafiel
06-02-2005, 04:52 PM
I find it strange too I wonder if they are lumping us together with the USA.
There are many talented Canadian cosplayers would be a shame if we couldn't go out and represent ourselves.

kaliko_rosa
06-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Lafiel, you were among many who amazed me at Anime North. I definitely agree that Canada should have its own place! Great cosplayers can sprout about anywhere, and I mean we might not have as many big cons, but we do have ones that weigh influence, so I think it should be recognized too. Perhaps whoever organized it didn't realize that....

Lafiel
06-02-2005, 05:13 PM
*blush*
Thank you Kaliko rose!

I think your right, Maybe someone (or myself if I can figure out where to send the email) should get in touch and just inquire as to why we (canada) were not included.
Maybe it was just an oversight :)

Sarcasm-hime
06-02-2005, 07:09 PM
The World Cosplay Summit is IMO a bit of a joke from what I've seen. Their selection process is questionable (the 'winners' certainly don't have the best costumes I've seen from their respective countries, by far) and they only seem to have people from the USA, Germany, Italy and France. I'm kind of dubious. I suspect it's more of a cute-girl contest or lookalike contest. :P

But considering that the organizers are in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if they just lumped Canada in with the US. As usual. *sigh*

http://www.tv-aichi.co.jp/cosplay2005/wcs05/
http://www.animerica-mag.com/modules/weblog/index.php?user_id=9
http://www.taf.metro.tokyo.jp/en/anime_news/050216_03.html
http://www.anime-expo.org/2005worldcosplay_rules.shtml

Edgar Strife
06-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Hum.......World Cosplay Summit, I never knew there was such thing. Although I don't know much about it, I think its unfair that Canada is not on the list since we have many wonderful and talented cosplayers . I did a little search on the wire [web] and so far it doesn't say why Canada is not on the list. All I know is that there's some kind of event going on. Here is the link I found, hopefully this is the right one.

http://www.anime-cons.com/events/info.shtml/651

Zelos_Wilder
06-03-2005, 11:32 AM
I definitely think it's unfair.
We've been underestimated as a country for as long as we have been a country. They don't even bother to look at the talents we possess in things such as this. We are stereotyped as beer drinking, pancake eating, hockey players who say "eh?"!
Grrrrr! I seriously think we should have got a spot on that contest, be it a joke or not.

Oselle
06-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Alright, having looked at the links people posted, it does indeed look like a pretty-girl contest. But we have lots of those in Canada - and not only are many of them pretty, they're also very talented.

It seems the likely case that Canada was lumped in with the US (not that that makes it okay)...there are also no UK delegates, and there are lots of other great cosplayers worldwide who didn't glean an 'invite.'

Eleryth
06-03-2005, 09:44 PM
In the others forum there was a thread about the cosplay summit, and I think they had "competitions" only at a select convention (in this case, it is Anime Expo in CA for the US).

Personally, I don't really care about it. It's more of a popularity contest in my mind. One girl who knows about it says they are chosen for "chrisma and beauty". And in case you were wondering, some of my friends attended the event (didn't compete - they couldn't, you had to have "won" in your foreign country). I think it's more of a media event than a cosplay event, really. It draws fans and makes money, and gives these people a chance to appear on tv/in Japanese cosplay magazines (oh, their dream, b/c Japan is the land of cosplay!/sarcasm).

I said in that thread then, and I say it here - don't worry about this "Summit". It's new, it's small, and it's select (and by no means a good judge of a good costumer). If you really want to find out your "World standing", go to Worldcon or Costumecon - true international, recognized conventions with divisions - not fashion shows and photo shoots and what seems to sound like a beauty pageant.

Here's the other thread... http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=45460&page=1&pp=15

I mean, the name sounds great...but think about it. The baseball World Series? How "worldly" is that? I was at a "world competition" for kimono, and it was basically just foreigners that already lived in Japan - we didn't even compete at the same level as the Japanese people did. It is just a convenient way of saying "international" and making it sound bigger than it really is.

I think Sarcasm has the right idea. I prefer to think of it not as a competition but as an "international meeting" of cosplayers. The word is "summit" after all, not "competition". Of course they have to choose some representatives, so that's where the competition comes in, but you could just as easily pull names out of a hat.

One thing I am not sure of is if TV Aichi pays the way for the winners, or if you have to pay it yourself. Lucky break if they pay.

If you *really* want it opened up to Canada, why not have someone send them an email and arrange for it/suggest it (the "judging") take place at Anime North next year, Canada's largest anime convention? I don't know who does the judging (I doubt TV Aichi people do it), but perhaps it could be done if you show an interest.

oneas
06-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Well it sounds great but man I mean... it seems slightly biased to pretty girls.

Krishna
08-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Doesn't this show make you start wondering what is Japanese's definition of cosplay when it comes to competition or just cosplay in general.... Should you won by really good costume, or you could win with a pretty face and a decent costume? Plus, there is so many ready-to-wear cosplay costume stores in Japan now.
'what is cosplay?" have been talked about so many times in the community... but we never really hear what it is from Japanese. (Of coures there is the cosplay=costume play plan simple answer, but how is it looked at in japanese cosplay community) They are the one who started it, so it would be interesting to know. Anyway, just my random though from reading Sarcasm-himen and Eleryth's posts.

TribalButterfly
08-12-2005, 11:18 PM
We're NOT???

That's not fair! We're the largest country on the world! We deserve to be represented!!!

Sarcasm-hime
08-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Cosplay in Japan, as far as I understand it, seems to be more about a) looking and acting like a particular character, and b ) taking pictures of hot skinny girls. It's a thing for young women to do; you hardly ever see anyone over 30 cosplaying in Japan, and it doesn't seem to really matter whether you make your costume or buy it, as you're just posing for photos. It's a very different mindset.

Whereas here it's more about making great costumes yourself. So it's not surprising that this 'summit' is more about choosing pretty girls to put on TV than about costuming skills and talent. :P I think we're better off without that nonsense.

Mekou
08-12-2005, 11:32 PM
>> That's not fair! We're the largest country on the world! We deserve to be represented!!!

We're the second largest, actually. <_< And while we do deserve to be represented, if it's just an excuse to show off hot, sexy girls in equally hot, sexy costumes then I'm happy we're not being represented. Personally, I'd want Canada to be know for good costumes not hot girls. =)

kuko-chan
08-12-2005, 11:36 PM
I imagine that a lot of countries are being snubbed here, so as Canadians, we shouldn't take offence. In fact, most of us were blissfully unaware until this thread, and by the sounds of this competition, it's not a costume contest, it's a beauty contest. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm content with not participating. If my costume isn't going to be recognized simply because I don't have a certain type of beauty, well then screw that. Simply put. :)

TribalButterfly
08-13-2005, 07:04 AM
Cosplay in Japan, as far as I understand it, seems to be more about a) looking and acting like a particular character, and b ) taking pictures of hot skinny girls. It's a thing for young women to do; you hardly ever see anyone over 30 cosplaying in Japan, and it doesn't seem to really matter whether you make your costume or buy it, as you're just posing for photos. It's a very different mindset.

Whereas here it's more about making great costumes yourself. So it's not surprising that this 'summit' is more about choosing pretty girls to put on TV than about costuming skills and talent. :P I think we're better off without that nonsense.

WHAT!?!?

Well, if that's the case, then i'm GLAD we're not in it!
I'd rather my costume get Oogled then Me! :p

Otaking97
08-17-2005, 12:26 AM
Indeed. From what I read in another post the World Cosplay Summit did not treat the American cosplayers very well and for now I think it's something better left alone. Especially with all the current issues Japan is having with non Japanese being over there.

Eleryth
08-17-2005, 01:19 AM
Japan has always had issues with foreigners - that's nothing new. But I advise everyone to read that other WCS thread in general chat (but not to get too caught up in it). I personally don't put any stock in it as a contest at all. It's just a publicity stunt.

Vicky
08-17-2005, 10:29 AM
So tempted to make my own cosplay world representative organization that's *gasp* fair. So tempted, but not nearly enough *L*

Kaijugal
08-17-2005, 05:16 PM
We're the second largest, actually. <_< And while we do deserve to be represented, if it's just an excuse to show off hot, sexy girls in equally hot, sexy costumes then I'm happy we're not being represented. Personally, I'd want Canada to be know for good costumes not hot girls. =)

Everybody sing!!!

We're the second, largest country,
on the planet earth.
And if Russia, keeps on shrinking,
soon we'll be the first!
(as long as we keep Quebec!) ^_~

mokulen22
08-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Everybody sing!!!

We're the second, largest country,
on the planet earth.
And if Russia, keeps on shrinking,
soon we'll be the first!
(as long as we keep Quebec!) ^_~

OMAL!!! :thumbsup:

Alexia Ishtar
08-18-2005, 07:48 PM
*sings*
We've got rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees and trees and rocks and....

WATER!!!

ZiggyB
08-18-2005, 08:02 PM
Ok people, this is just a friendly reminder to keep posts in this thread on topic.

Ferio
06-17-2007, 07:55 AM
How weird topic. All around the world the cosplayers talk very well abou World Cosplay Summit, but in USA in Canada it is not like that. Yes, it is true that USA have problems with WCS, but why Canada is in trouble too? There´s a lot of countrys participating (without any problem), and today is the biggest and only "world cosplay contest".

"Beuty contest"? I disagree, in last years I don´t see any cosplayer winning only for "beauty". I see all presentations and it´s very unffair and easy to say "Oh, she only win because she was beauty". How many of you seen the beutiful apresentations os last years? Only to remember, last year a couple win the contest, and there was a lot of "beautys" in the contest.

I think Canada has great cosplay and has everything to have his own place and name in the world cosplay midia. It´s only a matter of leting behind preconceptions and rumors.

(Sorry the english errors. Needing more practice. And sorry for "ressurecting" the topic, but the recent one was closed =/)

Alexia Ishtar
06-17-2007, 12:18 PM
The reason it was closed, was because this is turning into a subject much like the conventioneers/yaoi paddles/glomping and other such topics. Everyone is sick of hearing about it.

Eurobeat King
06-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Old thread, and it was asked to be closed, soooo..