PDA

View Full Version : why ontario??

maia-chan
06-06-2005, 02:52 PM
WHY DOES ONTARIO GET ALL THE ANIME CONVETIONS??:waaaah: Why not Nova Scotia, Alberta, or Sascatchawan??(forgive my spelling). i don't agree with the locations... because for me, there are none around my nieghbourhood :eeek:

Mekou
06-06-2005, 03:26 PM
(Southern) Ontario has a large anime fan/cosplay community. That's a big factor into it (I'm not saying that it's the largest or the only large one, I'm just stating something).

There are also a lot of eager fans who try to start up thier own conventions to feed the crowds outside of The Greater Toronto Area.

So with the combination of corperations who see the money to be made in having conventions (EG: Hobbystar), conventions that have been around for a number of years and who are still flourishing (EG: Anime North) and folks outside of the GTA wanting to give an anime con for thier local crowd (EG: GCAF, NAF), you get a lot of cons. x__X

But if you (you=all those otuside of Ontario) want more anime conventions or more anime events, start something up. =) Nothing will happen if you just sit there and do nothing. ^_^

Kitchen
06-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Mekou is correct. If you want an anime con in your area..and live outside of Ontario, find others who share the interest in getting one too and then be prepared to fundraise alot. Con's are fun but they are expensive, choose an area where there are alot of food places about, hotels and a place that is cheapest out of all the placest you try and then book it and set a site up and stress fundraising,advertising and so forth.

I wouldn't mind coming to a con on the east coast you know.

Yuna-X2
06-06-2005, 05:17 PM
I think it's the whole '80% of the country lives between Windsor and Quebec City' thing. You get more things to do the more people that live there.

Chibik3r0
06-06-2005, 06:09 PM
I'm pretty sure Alberta has a convention run either in Calgary or Edmonton. Check the "Western Canada" thread for more information possibly?

While Nova Scotia may not have one that I'm aware of, Mount Allison University in Sackville, New Brunswick has Animaritime which is pretty close to N.S. (I think).

As for spreading out cons, it's just a matter of finding people in your area who share common interest, as Mekou and Kitchen have said. Also as Yuna-X2 said, the population in Southern Ontario (between Windsor and Quebec City) is much greater with a greater population density, making it easier for people to come together with the facilities to handle a convention as well as the people to attend and run.

ShiroInu
06-06-2005, 06:14 PM
It's totally unfair! Not only for east-coasters (I feel your pain), but for us west-coasters too! There is only one (possibly two - I've heard a rumor that there's one in Victoria) anime convention this side of the Rockies! If I want to go to a bigger convention than AE, I'd either have to drive down to Seattle for Sakura-con, or fly somewhere.

I really would like to go to the 'big' Canadian cons, like CNAnime and Anime North, but that's not a possibility right now.

Yuna-X2
06-06-2005, 06:40 PM
It's totally unfair!

Try living in a place where you're three hours from the next town, let alone a convention. You guys do have cons, you just need to support them to make them grow. It took AN 9 years to get where it is, and it seems to be more a fluke than anything else, compared to other cons in Toronto.

Kaijugal
06-06-2005, 07:04 PM
WHY DOES ONTARIO GET ALL THE ANIME CONVETIONS??:waaaah: Why not Nova Scotia, Alberta, or Sascatchawan??(forgive my spelling). i don't agree with the locations... because for me, there are none around my nieghbourhood :eeek:

We don't get ALL the anime conventions. There are anime conventions in several of the other provinces... examples below...

Anime Evolution in British Columbia http://www.animeevolution.com/

Ai-con in Manitoba www.ai-kon.org

Animaratime in New Brunswick http://animaritime.mtaanime.org/

Animethon in Edmonton Alberta http://www.animethon.org/

Otafest in Calgary Alberta http://www.otafest.com/

which brings me to wondering why some of them don't have thier own forums here...

Cheers!
~Dawn

YukiPhnx
06-06-2005, 09:05 PM
someone from the site has to add them rite? we're not allowed to do this. so we should let a moderator kno about these other conventions

☆Skull Rabbit☆
06-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Haha yeah, I think Animethon should have its own section under canada, as it is proclaimed western canada's largest, but its still nowhere compared to Anime North... I wish I could have gone this year, instead I wasted my weekend and spent 4 hours at grad ceremonies where I kinda fell asleep~ haha

Ontario, I've noticed, as has been said, has a lot of people who try to start up their own events and what not...I guess it goes hand in hand with the high population~ I kidna wish I lived there now :)~

Yuna-X2
06-06-2005, 10:41 PM
I agree, I think that all the large Canadian cons need their own thread. There should be at least one Western con and one Maritime con thread.

Kaijugal
06-06-2005, 10:54 PM
someone from the site has to add them rite? we're not allowed to do this. so we should let a moderator kno about these other conventions

Already done. I mean, why not? GCAF has a thread and there hasn't even been one yet.

Kitchen
06-06-2005, 11:30 PM
My My, this thread has grown. Still...setting up a con is expensive and not just you but everyone who's interested in creating one with you must understand that completely. Dealers, Artists, advertisers, attendees and so forth won't fall out of the sky. You have to be mentally, emotionally and physically prepared to take on such a task. I mean I'm sure alot of people here can vouch for that.

So...if you can't handle the fire, then just go support cons that are abit far away.

Eleryth
06-07-2005, 12:26 AM
We don't get ALL the anime conventions. There are anime conventions in several of the other provinces... examples below...

Anime Evolution in British Columbia http://www.animeevolution.com/

Ai-con in Manitoba www.ai-kon.org

Animaratime in New Brunswick http://animaritime.mtaanime.org/

Animethon in Edmonton Alberta http://www.animethon.org/

Otafest in Calgary Alberta http://www.otafest.com/

which brings me to wondering why some of them don't have thier own forums here...

Cheers!
~Dawn

Thanks for posting the list, Kai! Saves me from doing it.

As far as I can tell, many of the anime fans on the west coast (at least in Alberta) visit the Anime Alberta forums (www.anime-alberta.org), where they discuss Animethon and Otafest. I was wondering why there wasn't at least an Animethon forum here, but I chalk it up to the numbers - there's not that many Albertans, let alone attendees of the West-Coast cons. At least they're not all buried under the "Anime North" title anymore. ^^

And yes, these conventions might not be as large yet, even if they've been running just as long (or longer, as the case I think is with A-thon). Animethon, at least, isn't really a "convention" - it's more of a "festival" - and it's FREE. So they don't have the money to draw in the crowds b/c they're not having special guests like VAs and artists and stuff. However, that said, 2 years ago the attendance at A-thon was more than 4000 people; not bad for a con that took place in a community college, from 9-9pm on the weekend. This year, they've got a hotel and everything. They're growing, and they need people to support them in order to grow bigger.

As for their cosplay competition - they don't yet have a full-fledged masquerade with divisions, but they do have a lot of entries (I think they had 200+people entered) and they give out prizes. I've brought up using the ICG guidelines, and the current director said they might put them in place next year and was very open to the idea. ^-^

Sorry, I talk too much about A-thon... it has special place in my <3 as it was my first convention.

~Yukiko~
06-07-2005, 02:05 AM
I think Vancouver should get more conventions. :O I think it's like.. Second best. Toronto area first, then Vancouver. Not just because I live here, though. :P We have only 1. We have another one in Victioria but that one's kind of... Far-ish? I'd definately have to get a hotel there. :( I suck at getting money, so it's kind of an issue. Hahaha. I'm not sure if all the ones in Ontario are kind of close together, but I assume they are because I see pictures of a lot of the same people in tons of them! :O But of course I'm a lazy-ass, so all I can do is dream. AE's gotta grow a little first, I think, before anyone will really throw up another one...

Lyulf
06-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Nova Scotia used to have 2 cons that I can recall. They were Novacon(in Halifax) and Wolfcon (in Wolfville) I don't know if they are still running it all depends on the local population to keep them going. I hope they are still running as I visit Nova Scotia a fair bit.
I also heard that Winnipeg was working on an anime convention too.

FalconW
06-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Winnipeg has four cons.

JAAWathon (one day anime con put on by the Japanese Animation Assoication of Winnipeg)
Chibicon (small anime con put on by the Winnipeg Anime Club)
Ai-Kon (Manitoba's largest anime con)
Keycon (sci-fi)

Lyulf
06-07-2005, 11:30 AM
I just found a con in Sackville N.B. here is the link http://animaritime.mtaanime.org/2005/index1.html

Garden City Anime Festival July 15-17, 2005 Quality Hotel Parkway Convention Centre St. Catharines, Ontario

Northern Anime Festival
July 23, 2005 Durham College, Oshawa Campus
Oshawa, Ontario

Animethon August 5-7, 2005 Grant MacEwan College Edmonton, Alberta

Ai-Kon August 12-14, 2005 Winnipeg Convention Centre Winnipeg, Manitoba

Anime Evolution August 19-21, 2005 Simon Fraser University (Burnaby Campus)Vancouver, British Columbia

CN Anime August 26-28, 2005 Metro Toronto Convention Centre Toronto, Ontario

AC Cubed November 19-20, 2005 Crowne Plaza Ottawa Hotel Ottawa, Ontario

Con No Baka November 25-27, 2005 Doubletree International Plaza Hotel Toronto, Ontario

Animaritime February 24-26, 2006 Mount Allison University Sackville, New Brunswick

JULY 25-AUGUST 1 – GATECON 2005, Best Western Richmond Inn, Richmond, BC. Media SF convention. Guests: Dirk Benedict, Richard Hatch, Kevin Sorbo, Robert Picardo, Alonso Oyarzun. Registration: US$225. for more information www.gatecon.com .

Kaijugal
06-07-2005, 03:23 PM
I just found a con in Sackville N.B. here is the link http://animaritime.mtaanime.org/2005/index1.html

Cool! Did you find it in my post, on the previous page of this thread? ^_~ I'm teasing you of course. You probably didn't read it. ^_^ :thumbsup:

Lyulf
06-07-2005, 03:31 PM
O_O meeps me pulled another stupid , hides behind sewing machine. :D XD lol

maia-chan
06-07-2005, 04:49 PM
:chatah: (Southern) Ontario has a large anime fan/cosplay community. That's a big factor into it (I'm not saying that it's the largest or the only large one, I'm just stating something).

There are also a lot of eager fans who try to start up thier own conventions to feed the crowds outside of The Greater Toronto Area.

So with the combination of corperations who see the money to be made in having conventions (EG: Hobbystar), conventions that have been around for a number of years and who are still flourishing (EG: Anime North) and folks outside of the GTA wanting to give an anime con for thier local crowd (EG: GCAF, NAF), you get a lot of cons. x__X

But if you (you=all those otuside of Ontario) want more anime conventions or more anime events, start something up. =) Nothing will happen if you just sit there and do nothing. ^_^

but for the people OUTSIDE Ontario, there are millions of anime fans. in Halifax, there are about 10 comic book stores that are only selling anime.(i know this because i live there.) Maybe it's because we aren't a big province.
on the hole, Canada isn't seen as havin anime fans. i was watching a japanese documentary about anime, and they said Canada wasn't "into" anime yet. according to them, niether is the U.S. :sulk:

Question:do u live in Ontario???

maia-chan
06-07-2005, 04:51 PM

Garden City Anime Festival July 15-17, 2005 Quality Hotel Parkway Convention Centre St. Catharines, Ontario

Northern Anime Festival
July 23, 2005 Durham College, Oshawa Campus
Oshawa, Ontario

Animethon August 5-7, 2005 Grant MacEwan College Edmonton, Alberta

Ai-Kon August 12-14, 2005 Winnipeg Convention Centre Winnipeg, Manitoba

Anime Evolution August 19-21, 2005 Simon Fraser University (Burnaby Campus)Vancouver, British Columbia

CN Anime August 26-28, 2005 Metro Toronto Convention Centre Toronto, Ontario

AC Cubed November 19-20, 2005 Crowne Plaza Ottawa Hotel Ottawa, Ontario

Con No Baka November 25-27, 2005 Doubletree International Plaza Hotel Toronto, Ontario

Animaritime February 24-26, 2006 Mount Allison University Sackville, New Brunswick

JULY 25-AUGUST 1 – GATECON 2005, Best Western Richmond Inn, Richmond, BC. Media SF convention. Guests: Dirk Benedict, Richard Hatch, Kevin Sorbo, Robert Picardo, Alonso Oyarzun. Registration: US$225. for more information www.gatecon.com .

I live in Nova Scotia... :thumbsup:

neekabe
06-07-2005, 05:06 PM
I agree there should be more cons outside of Ontario, which is why I'm part of the group that started one :thumbsup:
(Sackville, by the way, is pretty much right on the border between NS and NB)

The first year Animaritime had 10 staff, and approximately $500, and 2 months to plan, so it's perfectly possible to start one on your own. It's mostly just a matter of contacting stores and companies, calling people, trying to get whatever support you can and just getting your name out there, being able aware of how many little details that you don't see as an attendee are required to make these events work, and being willing to put it a lot of hard work and long hours (granted it didn't help the only weekend we were able to book was right in the middle of midterms....)

Toronto and the larger cities have the cons because they have the people. They can put out a call and get enough voluenteers and attendees to make it worth while. We started ours in the mere hope that there would be interest, luckily it seems to have generated interest :) In 2 more years, the majority of the current staff is going to be graduating though, and it might get a little touchy if no one wants to step forward and take over to keep it going (granted we're all feeling a little posessive about 'our' con, and I suspect it'll take a lot for it to die now :rolleyes: )

Sephiria-chan
06-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Even in Ontario all the cons are centred in toronto. I live in Ottawa and dont exactly have parents who would drive me to a place 6 hours away just for me to do the anime thing. Im pretty sure some universities have little anime things (Carleton U has an anime club> i saw a poster while taking a mini course there, im still in highschool) They wouldnt be as big as cons but hey, the costume and the mingling are the two best parts, no?

Yuna-X2
06-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Even in Ontario all the cons are centred in toronto. I live in Ottawa and dont exactly have parents who would drive me to a place 6 hours away just for me to do the anime thing. Im pretty sure some universities have little anime things (Carleton U has an anime club> i saw a poster while taking a mini course there, im still in highschool) They wouldnt be as big as cons but hey, the costume and the mingling are the two best parts, no?

Yeah, it's tricky going to cons in Ontario if you live outside the GTA.
Ottawa has AC Cubed, and UOttawa and Carleton have an anime club, and then there is SOAP as well, which supports the two university clubs.

Eleryth
06-07-2005, 11:43 PM
Are we sticking strictly to anime conventions? Because I know sci-fi cons welcome anime and costumers (usually! have yet to hear of one that doesn't), and I think there's one in Edmonton (PikminLink was saying something about it) and another con in Montreal (forgot the name of it...).

But really, it all comes down to having people willing to run a convention. It's a LOT of work. If you want one so bad, I'd start by getting a club together first, then having that for a while, and then seeing what you can do with the people from your club. Or suggest it to people who might be interested in running such a thing, like a local Japan society (hold anime movie nights, or something).

Vicky
06-08-2005, 10:43 AM
do what the rest of the world does, TRAVEL.

Kaijugal
06-08-2005, 11:01 AM

I have to agree that sometimes that is the only way. G-FEST is in Chicago, yet most of the attendees are from other places, ie the top organizers/volunteers are from:

Vancouver BC, Toronto Ontario, Montreal Quebec, Arkansas, St Petersburgh, Columbis Ohio, Santa Fe New Mexico, Even as far away as Britain, Austrailia and Japan itself! The organizer himself is from Steinbach Manitoba.

It's the only annual Godzilla convetion in NORTH AMERICA, so we have no choice but to travel.

I do understand the desire to have an anime convention close at hand however. I feel the same way about good horror cons of which Canada in general is sadly lacking.

Oh BTW if anyone here is from Quebec, you may consider trying to contact the people who run Con*Cept, and see if they would like to add more anime programming. A big group of us attended it last year and had a good time.

Cheers!

maia-chan
06-08-2005, 02:31 PM
It's totally unfair! Not only for east-coasters (I feel your pain), but for us west-coasters too! There is only one (possibly two - I've heard a rumor that there's one in Victoria) anime convention this side of the Rockies! If I want to go to a bigger convention than AE, I'd either have to drive down to Seattle for Sakura-con, or fly somewhere.

I really would like to go to the 'big' Canadian cons, like CNAnime and Anime North, but that's not a possibility right now.

YES you are the first person to agree with me!! :jjacks:
(P.S., to all people making suggestions, i'm reffering to the far west coast
(B.C.)and these atlantic provinces...)(nova scotia,PEI,and new brunswick)

maia-chan
06-08-2005, 02:34 PM

Nice idea,but for people that can't afford to travel,(like me)
there really is no other way... :thumbsup:

Lyulf
06-08-2005, 03:11 PM
YES you are the first person to agree with me!! :jjacks:

The first con I went to was in Halifax so it used to be good. I was hoping it was still going :( I wanted to see how it should have improved. There was a Star Trek one day con at the Stratcona last year. Though it didn't look like it had any anime though :waaaah: Hope we have helped a bit , I am still searching the net for con's down there, as I visit every other year :jjacks:

Katasha
06-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Animethon ( Edmonton ) is a large con. And its so fun! It has about 5000 people a year now. But its not a registered con, its a Film festival. They call it that anyway so you really don't have too pay the registration fee's to get in. They want too keep it a family event. But its the same as any other con.

Otafest (Calgary). I went to that for the first time this year. It was rather well organised. Its smaller only about 1500 people or so I think, don't quote me on that. I enjoyed myself, and if you can afford it its worth going.

Anime Evolution (Vancover). I havent been too AE yet, I'm going for the first time this year but its about 3000 people I think. Its suposed too be rather well planned. The only problem I've heard about it is everything is really spread out across the campus, so be prepared too walk alot. I really can't wait too go to this one.

Theres also 3-4 aother smaller Cons in Alberta. Nishikaze (Lethbridge). Bellrose (St.Albert). There is one in Red Deer thats new this year Shinnsei Na Omatsuri. I'm thinking theres one more but I can't remeber. You can go onto the Anime Alberta website and find out about the diffrent cons in Alberta and BC. www.anime-alberta.org

ShiroInu
06-08-2005, 04:38 PM

Travel isn't really an option for people like me who are underage and still have to rely on their parents for most things. Once I live on my own, maybe, but not just yet.

YES you are the first person to agree with me!!

The feeling is mutual! I'm glad someone else thinks its a crime not to have cons on the coasts. Another thing: are there any cons in the Yukon/NWT? I haven't heard of any, but I don't suppose there's a big demand for them either.

Yuna-X2
06-08-2005, 06:16 PM
The feeling is mutual! I'm glad someone else thinks its a crime not to have cons on the coasts. Another thing: are there any cons in the Yukon/NWT? I haven't heard of any, but I don't suppose there's a big demand for them either.

I don't think people are saying it's a crime to have cons on the coast. I think there should be. I'm surprised there isn't more out in BC really. But I think that the places with not many cons should reconsider the idea of having more cons and focus on having better cons. Southern Ontario has loads of cons now, and some people think it's too many cons, and would prefer to have 2 or 3 excellent conventions instead of 10 alright cons. I know travel is an issue for some people, but it is for everyone really. My parents wouldn't let me go to AN till last year. I just had to wait, and I enjoyed AN04 even more because of it.

Chibik3r0
06-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Well, if travelling isn't a viable option at the current time, maybe wait a few years? It's not like you have to go to a con immediately or the world will end. They'll still exist in a few years ^_^ When money or distance isn't a viable option, save up for something in the future. Give yourself something to work towards and look forward to.

People have listed several cons in British Columbia and Animaritime in New Brunswick. Just curious, where are you from that you're concerned at both ends of Canada's spectrum for conventions? It's not like you can attend cons on both sides of the country or is it just a general concern for conventions outside of Ontario?

Of course we all agree that conventions should be spread out, but nothing will change unless someone makes the effort. You can't just complain about the number of cons in one area and hope more will start up elsewhere. Someone needs to instigate it ^_^

Vicky
06-09-2005, 10:46 AM
I have to agree that sometimes that is the only way.

It's the only annual Godzilla convetion in NORTH AMERICA, so we have no choice but to travel.

I do understand the desire to have an anime convention close at hand however. I feel the same way about good horror cons of which Canada in general is sadly lacking.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Nice idea,but for people that can't afford to travel,(like me)
there really is no other way... :thumbsup:

And you think I'm rich? Because I'm probably one of the poorest college students living at home that I know. But if I really wanna go somewhere, I find ways. It's all on your priorities and your ability to manage your money.

SailorUsagi
06-10-2005, 12:28 AM
If you're looking for which cons are happening when and where, I'd suggest keeping an eye on http://www.anime-cons.com and http://www.afansview.com/. :chatah:

Chanilye
06-10-2005, 02:24 PM
I'd say that if there's a scifi/fantasy convention in your area, you should approach them about getting more anime programming. Maybe you could gather some friends and offer to run some panels or put together an anime video room? That way you don't have to worry about the resources you'd need to put on your own convention, you could learn about con-running if you wanted to put on your own event in the future, plus maybe you'd see some new stuff. From my experience most conventions are always looking for new ideas and ways to appeal to a new audience.

Otherwise you could look into spaces for a one day anime event. Maybe a local store would have the space, or maybe you could rent a hall at a community centre or space at a university or college. Anime North didn't start out as the big event it is today.

I think the trick is to just go out and try to make it happen. Good luck for those who do! I'm sure you can get lots of advice and support on the forums here if you want it.

TamaraMacDonald
06-13-2005, 11:47 AM
From the oba-chan----

GTA has a population of 5 million people. BC as a whole province has a population of 4 million and i am sure with the rest of the provinces across Canada- the population is lower. So why are there more events in Ontario? Just due to the stats and the numbers- greater population, greater odds of having more fans, greater odds of more events.:)

BC did have a con at the beginning of 2000- and it was a disaster that left a few of the hotels and other vendors holding the financial bag (serious money). Because of that, the organizers of AEvolution waited until the air was cleared. I know this for a fact since 1) witness Akon going down in infamy and the person who was responsible for the debt fly back to the USA without saying anything to the rest of the organizers 2) in the past - i consulted with the head of AE about doing something in Vancouver (he is a good egg, does his research and listens and observes to what other cons have done).
3) Though Vancouver is a pretty artsy place- the government (local and otherwise) is not really that supportive when you get down to the details. There use to be lots of festivals and events (on other things) and now due to the present government (especially local)- they have put up more barriers to run an event.

4) Alot of the company support (e.g. YTV, Irwin Toy, Disney etc) are based in Toronto and thus it is easier for them to help out a Toronto -based event vs. another one in another province, city etc. And companies are fussy about their support due to financial reasons and PR. Though they may have affiliates in other cities- most of the head offices are based in Toronto- so access is important too to such support.

Add into that the fact that Vancouver hotels/businesses were stiffed by an "anime con" in a serious $$ amount- how many hotels do you think would be willing to host one again after they found out about the experience in the early 2000's.

Thank god for AE who is promoting the "good" version of an anime con on the west coast and for the festivals in the mid western of Canada. The key thing in starting up your own event is *not* to try to duplicate *exactly* from others, but learn and find your own fit and path for the community. Its just like buying a house- every house has doors, windows, rooms but it is up to YOU the organizer to mark it with your own event's personality and not try to replicate others, since if you do a) you are setting yourself up for failure b) you are going to piss off people who could help you.,:)

In any case- if anyone is considering to start one up- just make sure you have the seed money to start and you are willing to loose that seed money.:)

No one should loose their house over a convention.:) And many have over the past years......

Tamara
Liaison Director
Anime North 2005
And soon to be a Vancouverite!!!!!

ShiroInu
06-13-2005, 04:26 PM
I heard about that one. It really ruined it for us in Vancouver. Hopefully though, with the good example being set by AE, there might be a greater demand for conventions and more people willing to host them.

I'd love to organise one myself, but I'm not very organised, have little or no funds, and I honestly wouldn't know where to start. I'll leave that up to the people who know what they're doing.

sasuke88
06-14-2005, 02:12 PM
the main problem about why conventions are mostly in ontario is becuase of the market value, and popularity

a convention will only function and keep going on if
it has fans, and if it is making money

I can't say for sure, but does anyone think that a convention would be sucessful in Saskatchewan??

its a large city, but what are there enough fans

I think a convention in Vancover would be a sucess, as well in alberta

and maybe even halifax

but the main thing is that people want to make money from cons

Kitchen
06-14-2005, 02:55 PM
There is one in Winnipeg that I help out on. Anyone in the area should check it out.

TamaraMacDonald
06-14-2005, 08:03 PM
but the main thing is that people want to make money from cons

I dont draw a paycheque for the 30 hours a week I put in from January to May. Yes- we need to generate revenue to pay for expenses....but as a 100% volunteer run event- we are not doing it for personal profit. Heck- for the beginning years- alot of us put in our own money just for the sheer joy of it.

The people that have cons simply to make money are the corporate cons- like what you saw during the 80's (e.g. Creation Con) or CNAnime- that rolls in 4 themes now to make the bucks. Funny thing is- that organizers pays his staff, pays science fiction guests, but doesnt pay any of the guests that come out for the anime section. So all that money spent to see someone like Scott McNeil- goes straight to the organisers pocket.:)

Fortunately or unfortunately- the rest of us do not operate that way. We do it for the community since their aint enough money around to make me do it otherwise.:)

Tamara

Yuna-X2
06-16-2005, 11:33 PM
I have a suggestion for you guys in the West and the East wanting more attention to your con: Post threads discussing it in the Canada Cosplay board. That's where we all had to start to get the Canada thread, by condensing it all to the AN board. If you talk about the con enough, they'll probably make a board for it. They did give a board to Garden City, and this is the first convention for them. That would be a good way to give your cons more attention, attracting more people, bringing in more money and people, helping to make the con grow better. ^_^ :D

Kaijugal
06-17-2005, 03:50 PM
The people that have cons simply to make money are the corporate cons- like or CNAnime- that rolls in 4 themes now to make the bucks. Funny thing is- that organizers pays his staff, pays science fiction guests, but doesnt pay any of the guests that come out for the anime section. So all that money spent to see someone like Scott McNeil- goes straight to the organisers pocket.:)

Fortunately or unfortunately- the rest of us do not operate that way. We do it for the community since their aint enough money around to make me do it otherwise.:)

Tamara

Actually... I'm staff at CNA and I don't get paid.

I do it for the costumers, voluntary.

I don't draw a paycheque from any convention I work at period. Although both AN and G-FEST are the very most gracious, and have a working relationship that makes them doubley pleasent to be a part of.

Anyone who thinks they're going to make a living off a fan run con is so..soo... wrong.

We do it because we love it just like Tamara said. :)

TamaraMacDonald
07-05-2005, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE=Kaijugal][COLOR=Green]Actually... I'm staff at CNA and I don't get paid.

Heyhey- back to life and living it up in BC.:)

Maybe you should Dawn- since he pays other people.:) He never offers $ but will pay when asked.:)

Aman *does* pay himself, and his "senior" staff that work for him during most of the year. And he does pay for certain guests. Anything with anime- he laughs at since he gets it for free but for the rest- he pays and hence recoups the $$$.

KazeChan
07-05-2005, 11:41 AM
<3 The Animethon is in Edmonton Alberta! but I know what you mean about the other area's...honestly there should be more cons around o.o and the fundraise doesn't sound like a bad idea either ^^

Amy the Yu
07-05-2005, 10:00 PM
More gung ho fans=more conventions

In Canada, the vaste majority of the anime fans who are willing to put a lot of work into either helping out with a ready existing con, or helping to set up a new con (regardless of whether they get paid or not) seem to have popped up en mass in Southern Ontario.

Granted, the population here is higher than most places in Canada, but just a couple of years back, even Ontario only had Anime North and CNA as the only 2 existing anime con/expo.

If you take a close look at the new cons that have popped up (NAF, GCAF, Con no Baka), the majority of the people running those cons are relatively young. Mostly teenagers and people in their early 20's.

That really drives Mekou's point home. If you really want something, sometimes you gotta go do it yourself.

Travelling also isn't that far out of the question.

I live in Toronto, but for conventions like Anime North, it's still very unrealistic for me to commute 3 hours on the bus/subway each way for the entire con weekend, so I will still end up paying extra to stay at the hotel.

Travelling to cons doesn't come cheap, but it also doesn't have to break your wallet. There are lots of ways to lower the cost of travelling to conventions. You can share hotel room with friends, car pool, and my favourite, volunteer. Most conventions will reward volunteers who fulfill a good number of hours by refunding them the cost of their weekend membership. Some conventions (ie. Otakon) will even refund you some of your hotel expenses if you volunteer enough hours. Anime North actually provides crash space to volunteers who work the required number of hours for only $5/night. This is how I managed to attend AN03 and only have to pay $10 for the weekend plus bus fare for the trip to and from the con.

Check around before giving up on travelling. If you can figure out a good plan, it should be achievable for almost any fan.

neekabe
07-05-2005, 11:24 PM
More gung ho fans=more conventions
In Canada, the vaste majority of the anime fans who are willing to put a lot of work into either helping out with a ready existing con, or helping to set up a new con (regardless of whether they get paid or not) seem to have popped up en mass in Southern Ontario.

I think part of that might have to do with the fact that there is a con here. People can go to the conventions, meet other like-minded people, help out at existing conventions, and have a good idea of convention life before deciding it'd be cool if they could have one maybe a bit closer to home and start things going.

People who don't already have a con in their area are at a bit of a disadvantage. Unless there's an anime club of some sort, they probably don't know more than 5 other people that like anime (that they've met physically and that live in their area), they've never been to a con and don't know what they're missing, to put it simply.

It takes a lot of work to run one, and unless you've experianced one, you unlikely to a) want to put one on and b) know what goes into a con.

Amy the Yu
07-06-2005, 12:51 AM
I think part of that might have to do with the fact that there is a con here. People can go to the conventions, meet other like-minded people, help out at existing conventions, and have a good idea of convention life before deciding it'd be cool if they could have one maybe a bit closer to home and start things going.That's true but only for people who live quite far out of the way from a ready existing con.

A lot of the discussion so far (or at least from my understanding) seem to have focused on the maritimes and the west coast (ie. Vancouver), but those places have cons. They just haven't reached the point that Ontario's reached. If you think a few years back, Ontario was very similar to their current situation. And a lot of attendees at the Ontario cons have had to travel in from some good distances. If everyone who attended AN and CN lived in Toronto, I doubt the hotels would fill up to such an extent, especially when there are a lot of attendees who have to sacrifice a good bit of their food and spending money to be able to pay for the hotel space.

I would think that in a few years time, if there really are a good concentration of fans elsewhere in Canada, they will also see more conventions, but it all depends on how many fans there are and where abouts the greatest concentrations are.

As to places to meet fellow fans. Anime clubs are a common place for fans to gather, and almost every university has an anime clue of some kind. Larger cities usually have several other anime clubs as well.

My view might be skewwed since I live in Toronto and working in Philadelphia certainly doesn't help my view since the USA east coast is even more overrun with cons than Ontario is.

I think that in this case, it just so happened that the Ontario anime community got a bit of a head start and everything just snowballed. I'm sure that if things were a little different, the west coast at least could have seen just as much of a boom.

The prairies and maritimes have lower population in general, and that usually means lower count of anime fans. I can see more conventions starting up around the major cities, or at least the current cons getting much larger, but it'll probably take time.

neekabe
07-06-2005, 11:54 AM
That's true but only for people who live quite far out of the way from a ready existing con.

Which is quite a few people not in Ontario (and even some of those IN Ontario. How many Northren Anime cons are there? and Oshawa doesn't count as 'North' :rolleyes: )

A lot of the discussion so far (or at least from my understanding) seem to have focused on the maritimes and the west coast (ie. Vancouver), but those places have cons.

Or at least a con =P I'd hardly call the marintimes a solid convention scene, considering Animaritime is still in the birthing process. As far as I can figure, there have been a couple other conventions in the east (one in Wolfville, another, somewhere else) that have not continued, I'd guess because they were run by students who graduated and had no one to pass the convention on to.

I think until there is a solid convention out here (unlike the west coast, which has Anime Evolution and a couple other cons with solid attendance and support) there is still pleanty of room for discussion :p.

And even with the west coast, there's all those provinces beteen Ontario and BC :) (and, hey, all those provinces out east that are not NB)

As to places to meet fellow fans. Anime clubs are a common place for fans to gather, and almost every university has an anime clue of some kind. Larger cities usually have several other anime clubs as well.

True, granted, the smaller universities also have a tendancy to create smaller clubs (10 people...) And the spotty attendace makes it harder to keep them going consistantly. Mount Allison (my university) had one that folded years ago. We started one up again along with our convention. As seems to be the theme of this, they're harder to find outside of major citites, and smaller size of things outside of the large centres starts us at a disadvantage :rolleyes:

I think that in this case, it just so happened that the Ontario anime community got a bit of a head start and everything just snowballed. I'm sure that if things were a little different, the west coast at least could have seen just as much of a boom.

Exactly, once a certain attendance is hit, they have a tendancy to be self-supporting (to a certain extent), it was just a matter of where things started. Ontario was just lucky enough to have hit that point first. The others should be able to catch up to their capacity if the organizers are able to keep things going long enough for that to happen :)

Amy the Yu
07-06-2005, 02:15 PM
The others should be able to catch up to their capacity if the organizers are able to keep things going long enough for that to happen :)And here lies what I think if one of the major reasons why most of the cons elsewhere in Canada haven't gotten large and plentiful yet.

Most people won't be willing to put so much money and effort into a large event that may be a complete failure. At least there needs to be a fanbase large enough to be worth targetting in the area. Newer cons also tend to attract fewer people from further away than an established con will.

In order for the orangizers to keep things going, they require a certain turn out. If they don't achieve that, they'll be losing money, and while most cons starting up will have a couple years of that, if it continues, or the loss is just too great, it's usually just not possible to keep things going.

neekabe
07-07-2005, 12:03 AM
In order for the orangizers to keep things going, they require a certain turn out. If they don't achieve that, they'll be losing money, and while most cons starting up will have a couple years of that, if it continues, or the loss is just too great, it's usually just not possible to keep things going.

If the organizers are willing to let their con grow slowly then it is possible to run on profits only, after the first year.

This is why university based cons are ideal to start out, assuming most universities run similarly to Mount Allison. We don't have to pay an arm and a leg for convention space. All we had to do was pay for 4 hrs of janitorial time to clean the building after the con. We didn't bother with any big guests or events, the showings were based off of staff's collections, our gaming room was involved TVs and systems borrowed off of people we knew and our meathod of communication was running around the building trying to find who we needed. This meant that our 60 attendees was pleanty to pay expenses, and make some profit.

The next year we were able to afford walkie-talkies (a blessing!) and a couple guests (Martin Bastarache, Andre' Richard and Deborah Hale) and we got 115 people.
Again, not huge numbers, but enough to roughly double our profit of the previous year.

This year we're looking at getting some bigger guests and a rough estimate of 200-300 attendees.

If organizers are willing to grow slowly and keep the con within their means it should be possible to build you own fan base. It kinda helps that most of our attendees had never had a chance to go to a convention before, so they didn't arrive expecting big guests and huge events. They came just to hang out, have fun, and talk about anime, and if you're willing to be creative and slightly insane (Analog DDR!) you can put together a rather fun convention for not much money. :cool:

Time investment is another matter, and the reason that it is hard for university students to put these things on. While it may be cheaper to hold the convention during the school year, things get a little interesting academically :rolleyes:

Amy the Yu
07-07-2005, 04:21 PM
If the organizers are willing to let their con grow slowly then it is possible to run on profits only, after the first year.Easier said than done.

Most conventions lose money for at least the first couple of years. Those who break even (ie. NAF) are rare and those who turn a profit on the first year are almost non-existant.

This is why university based cons are ideal to start out, assuming most universities run similarly to Mount Allison.This arguement falls short. University clubs are run extremely different from one to the next. I've been a member of several (as a club officer as well as a regular member) and so far, no two have run in very similar fashions. They also don't always have the necessary support to even try for a con. Two ends of the spectrum I've been in are CTRL-A (U of Waterloo) which has had over 300 members (which is regularily run in a fashion similar to how you described the con at yours...and we were actually listed in the March 05 issue of Newtype USA) and AGO (Drexel U) which considers a membership of over 10 people a great success.

Cost of operation of the two examples also vary greatly. CTRL-A spends almost all the revenue earned directly on running shows (which is unavoidable considering the length of shows), while AGO is run mainly out of personal collections of it's members and spends almost none of it's budget on screenings and winds up using Otakon as the annual "splurge" to cover hotel and registration for members. Note that both clubs have annual budgets in the thousands.

neekabe
07-11-2005, 09:14 PM
I'm willing to accept that what we do is the exception to the rule :cool: I have no other club experiance to base this on (aside from stories of the club at Queens), I'm mearly speaking from what we have done ourselves as a club, and through that what I know is possible (if not probable :p )

I wasn't trying to say that any university club should be able to make a con. No matter where you are it requires someone willing to put in the effort and get things moving. Like you pointed out, if the members of the club don't want want the club to go in that direction, and if there is no one willing to take control and make sure things get done, it isn't going to happen. Most clubs aren't going to want to put in that effort, especially if the other option is relaxing duing the year and partying at Otakon :thumbsup:

I was just saying that university based clubs, if they should decide to start a convention, have an slight advantage over a similar group of people who meet as a community group, in that they have access to convention space for free or cheap. That is, however, based on my experiances at Mt A. For all I know, we are the only university that would allow a convention to run during the school year and not have to pay for the space used.

AquaChan
09-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Wow, this tread was long.

The very last "con" in Montréal his canceled this year. Wep, Con*Cept is absent.

It's pretty hard for somebody for the great metropilitain Montréal region, and even 15, to get to Toronto, 6 hours from home. Bus is a great idea, Concordia university has a anime club which goes to AN or CNA every year.

It's still a money question in Québec. And also fans. Where are you?? XD

TribalButterfly
09-26-2005, 04:34 AM
I know it must b annoying to have to travel so far for cons, but think about it - how often do u go to a con anyways? I live in Ontario n i only go maybe twice a year :p
Im not saying its a conselation, i know its uber expensive, but at least its not something u have to fly to 50 weeks out of the year, right?

If u really want a con in ur area, start one :) gather a group together n do it. It wont b easy, but you'll be the start of a new cosplay fallowing - isn't that tempting??? :)

jade_dincht
09-26-2005, 08:48 AM
yeah, i'd have to say it's annoying to have to travel so far, expecially with things as expencive as they are. I traveled from Saint John, NB to toronto for CNAX. I had alot of fun, but if i was only staying for the con, i would have been very sad to have spent so much money. I mean, you guys are looking at travel like it's no big thing and everyone can afford it. Even though I did manage to afford it, it still took a big chunk of money from me and that was just to travel an hour and a half (by plane) to toronto.
I'm going to break down my costs, using 3 different methods of travel.
ok.
getting there: plane: 466.00 or train: 303.00 or car: 460.00 (now for the car i'm factoring in things like, gas there and back, overnight accomidation in montreal there and back, food there and back. and time would be a whole day and three quarters of one driving. so time is a factor as well)
accomidations: luckily, i stayed with a cousin for 2 day prior to the con. so $0 there. but for the downtown hotel it was 69.00/night (at a discounted employee rate) so that's 158.70 (including tax) to sleep in a bed.
transportation: so, my total transportation (to and from the con) was 21.00
food: ok, let's say i have $20/day to spend on food my food was $80
plus con admission:39.00
so grand totals are! by plane: 764.70 by train:601.70 by car: 758.70
ok, 600-700+ for a con. and you say just travel. i'm pretty sure not everyone can afford that. it's easy to just buy a ride on the go bus/train to come in and then stay with some friends at a hotel. but coming all the way from the east coast is just a little bit more costly. although, i don't blame you, you live there and probabally haven't thought of it.
All i'm saying, is that it's more costly than you think.
(and for the record,i didn't just go to toronto for the con, i was there for like a week, so it was worth it.)

AquaChan
09-26-2005, 10:05 PM
I know it must b annoying to have to travel so far for cons, but think about it - how often do u go to a con anyways? I live in Ontario n i only go maybe twice a year :p
Im not saying its a conselation, i know its uber expensive, but at least its not something u have to fly to 50 weeks out of the year, right?

If u really want a con in ur area, start one :) gather a group together n do it. It wont b easy, but you'll be the start of a new cosplay fallowing - isn't that tempting??? :)

looooooooooooooooooooool XD! In my school, I guess I'm the only one who really (crazy..) about anime. I think. I think I must forget the idea of starting a con. Maybe Someday.

This is true, I can get to con only twice a year.This might be a good argument for my parents XD!

piinku
10-04-2005, 03:14 PM
I can relate to other East Coast convention fans, I live in Fredericton, New Brunswick and this past summer I went to both CN Anime (second time) and Anime North (first time at AN). The trip to AN wasn't bad, since we got our plane tickets on sale in January ($203, taxes included, round trip from Moncton XD) and my father was nice enough to drive us to CN Anime and visit his brother. Without a carpool, a trip to a Toronto con costs an East Coaster like me at least $500. You GTA folks really are lucky ^^. I'm really hoping to make it to at least one of the GTA conventions next year (likely AN, although I probably preferred CN because of the comic book and gaming aspects), but since I'm graduating from university this year there will likely be a lot of expenses and the financial aspect of it might be difficult.

It's hard for the people on the East Coast, since cosplay isn't really as accepted here, none of my friends except one are really interested in it and a few of them probably think it's strange or even stupid. The fact is that there's isn't much here in N.B., there's a huge TCG community here in Fredericton and there's rarely any sanctioned events for VS or Yu Gi Oh held here. There is an Anime Club on campus, but I'm not a member (no comment ^^) and none of its members (that I know of) even attended AniMaritime last year. The simple fact is, there just isn't the population to sustain a large-scale convention here and we're forced to spend *lots* of money travelling, just like anyone else from a relatively rural or isolated part of the country who is interested in attending any sort of large, "non-mainstream" (and I use that term lightly) event. It's the harsh reality for any Canadian who doesn't live in the GTA, I guess...

Starting your own convention is easier said then done, even here in the capital city with two universities I doubt it could be a success, and with school and a job, who has the time? I really do support the people of AniMaritime, though, I think that a convention accessible to most New Brunswicker's and people from Halifax is a great idea. I was there last year, and definetly will be again, this time in costume. I really think you guys should get more support from anime fans around the Martimes - I mean, I know not everyone has a car (myself included), but carpooling is a definite possibility and I'm sure the hotels in Sackville aren't that expensive.

One last note, then I'll stop my babbling ^^ ... is there a cosplay.com message board about AniMaritime? If so, could someone direct me there? Any were any AniMaritimers at AN or CN Anime this year that I may recongize? I was an ANBU with a Zabuza (really big sword), nine-tailed fox demon, and a Haku (only for Anime North) or a Hayate (only at CN Anime). Thanks! :thumbsup: