PDA

View Full Version : External Flash tips

Kokuu
06-08-2005, 07:42 PM
I'd like to get some lighting tips for an external flash. I just upgraded to a SLR (I have Canon EOS 300D with a 420ex speedlight) but when I use the flash, a lot of my pictures come out dark. What are good flash settings for indoor photography (such as a con setting)? How does one set up a slave- and what's the benefit?

jtnishi
06-09-2005, 03:08 AM
Kokuu, what mode setting do you normally shoot in (P, Av, Tv, M, etc.)? IIRC, the Canon SLRs don't necessarily treat the flash the same way in the different modes. This is something that, apparently from reading some camera forums, still confuses people, so that might be the problem. I'm a bit worried about it myself, too, since I need to get an external flash eventually as well.

Kokuu
06-09-2005, 03:46 AM
Kokuu, what mode setting do you normally shoot in (P, Av, Tv, M, etc.)? IIRC, the Canon SLRs don't necessarily treat the flash the same way in the different modes. This is something that, apparently from reading some camera forums, still confuses people, so that might be the problem. I'm a bit worried about it myself, too, since I need to get an external flash eventually as well.

For the time being, I've been shooting on "portrait" since I haven't had a lot of time to play around with manual settings on the camera. Hmmm... Flash acts differently in different modes? I'll have to play around with that. Now I just have to find someone or something who won't mind being my guinea pig while I play around with my camera. XD

Admin
06-09-2005, 06:04 AM
Admin note: Thread split off from original since it deals with a specific topic.

gmontem
06-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Here's my lazy answer -- http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/ :D

Kokuu
06-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Thank you so much for that link! It really cleared up a lot of questions I had about flash.

gmontem
06-09-2005, 09:31 PM
I just came across this fill flash cheat sheet that you might want to check out as well.

http://www.popphoto.com/assets/download/821200311318.pdf

Kokuu
06-09-2005, 10:29 PM
OMG! Thank you! That cheat sheet incredibly helpful.

TomodachiFriend
06-10-2005, 12:05 AM
Strange, there's something they didn't cover or maybe I didn't see. If you have nothing to bounce the flash on and you're stuck with aiming it directly on your subject, a way to minimize that ugly flash look that make people shiny is to play with your shutter speed.

didjiman
06-11-2005, 02:32 AM
As you discover, the key is fill flash. Your EOS supports TTL, meaning that just punch in -1 to -2 compensation on your flash, set your camera to the sync speed, and blast away. It will look OK most of the time.

For the trul adventurous, bump up the ASA, and shoot with no flash. Get yourself and cheapie 50/1.8 lens and learn to shoot wide open. The lighting may pleasantly surprise you. I shot Costume Con 23 without flash and I was truly amazed by some of the photos.

Good luck.

gmontem
06-11-2005, 09:16 AM
For the trul adventurous, bump up the ASA, and shoot with no flash. Get yourself and cheapie 50/1.8 lens and learn to shoot wide open. The lighting may pleasantly surprise you. I shot Costume Con 23 without flash and I was truly amazed by some of the photos.
That's what I did for my Fanime shots. This year's shots were taken entirely without a flash and shot as high as ISO 1600. Next time I'm gonna experiment adding a flash stopped down 2-1/3 to 3 stops primarily for catch lights. I think many of my indoor shots looked lifeless without them. I just hope the tiny amount of fill doesn't accent the sweat on peoples' faces.

jtnishi
06-11-2005, 11:22 AM
As you discover, the key is fill flash. Your EOS supports TTL, meaning that just punch in -1 to -2 compensation on your flash, set your camera to the sync speed, and blast away. It will look OK most of the time.

Good luck.

I was at Anime OD shooting (indoors!) a lot of cosplayer pictures with ISO 800/1600 with the 50/1.8, and it did work with some nice pictures, so I can also vouch for that interesting tactic. The only thing to watch out for is that you have to watch the ambient lighting. I still regret shooting those shots in JPEG a little bit, since they really could've done even better if I had my white balance right.