PDA

View Full Version : Why is GCAF only advertising for Volunteers age 15-19 ?

Kaijugal
06-13-2005, 05:30 PM
Why is GCAF only advertising for Volunteers age 15-19 ?

http://www.gcaf.tk/

SimiHe
06-13-2005, 05:58 PM
No idea, I don't volunteer anyways...but what is OSACs? never heard of it before.

Kaijugal
06-14-2005, 10:57 AM
No idea, I don't volunteer anyways...but what is OSACs? never heard of it before.

The only information about it is here (http://oacs.theanimecafe.com/), and whatever was expounded upon, in the other thread.

I hope it's helpful

Schubuttercup
06-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Hiya!

I think it is because people those ages are more reliable and more responsible.

Sarcasm-hime
06-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Uh HUH. Right. You're joking, right? Adults, on average, have to be MORE responsible because they have jobs and families to support, and nobody to take care of them. One of the problems we have with lack of staff at AN is because most of the attendees are young and would rather have fun with their friends than work. Which is fine, I was like that too when I was a teenager, and there are definitely teens who are very responsible and reliable, but teens who are willing to forgo some of their con fun and put in hard work are the exception, not the rule. :P

I think a big problem is that anybody over 25 is being seen as 'the enemy' and there's a lot of suspicion and mistrust. We were 19 once, and you will be 25 someday. Do you think that once you turn 20 you will become less reliable? We all like anime, and we all care about putting on a good convention. There is no valid reason for this mistrust.

I guess I'm just an unreliable, irresponsible old coot. :P

sasuke88
06-14-2005, 02:08 PM
I'm sure it probably becasue the people organizing this even are within that age range
I remember reading the article in the newpaper (st. catharines Standard)

and it seems like the people in that picture were within that age group, but I'm sure it does not exclude other people

cause in my opinion I think that for this even the people who are between 15-19 that go will mostly be from around that region. since most people who go to cons usually reside within the GTA area and its suburbs
so its gonna be a challenge to get people form GTA to Niagara

I've told a lot of friends about this con, and the main reason why they don't come is cause of transportation and distance.

Kitchen
06-14-2005, 02:42 PM
It is for the most part because of the 40 CI thing for students. I think their doing it for students whom are still needing that 40 to graduate. People whom are 25 don't need 40 hours to graduate and if your in highschool and you are 25...you are a sad..sad..little man or woman.

Also if you are 19 and running a con, having people on your staff around the same age is just more comforting. Sometimes...and I mean SOMETIMES adults don't listen well to people younger then them and try to run things their own way. They also try to manuipate and make decisions without conforting the people in charge whom are younger then they are. I DID SAY SOMETIMES.

The Question I am asking is why it concerns you Dawn, were you thinking of volunteering or something?

As for their staff stats: The youngest Staff is 12 and the Oldest is 22.

Tsukasa_1
06-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Not all students can claim the hours they've volunteered at a convention, especially if they are labeled as general volunteers or gofers, thus I had this issue last year- the ones who can redeem their hours are the ones who are actually staff and help with the planning and organizing phases before the actual event takes place.

Thus this age barrier excludes me from volunteering too; being in the 20's myself.

Kitchen
06-14-2005, 02:49 PM
If you talk to the board of education, you can get hours for being a general volunteersor gofer. If you are volunteering your time at an event and there is nothing you get out of it, then you can. I did alot of volunteering during my highschool times at cons and got alot hours for it.

Tsukasa_1
06-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Like I said, Iíve been down that road last year with two different school boards, as well I like to note that it isnít the organizers responsibility to find out if the hours are valid for them- as it has to be up to the individual to do so- But back on topic here, the boards feedback to us was that when they are general volunteers and/or gofers is that they are not learning any new skills of which will aid them in the work force, that is exactly what they told us in the letter we received from them- Mind you though the high schools themselves may over look those guidelines and allow it, but there is no guarantee that they will, which is why the student should ask the guidance office first (There is an actual pamphlet out stating what they can and cant do for the hours, and remember every province is different.)

Kitchen
06-14-2005, 02:58 PM
*coughcough* So I learned something picking up horse poo on a parade route...cause if that was true then I must of learned something about the textures of poo...haha.

Yeah I suppose every province is different, but every board is too. What those boards didn't allow, these ones might you know. Plus general volunteers do learn things, depending what their doing. I can name a bunch of stuff you can learn while volunteering at a con that not only teach you things about the workforce but help decide your future career.

Tsukasa_1
06-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Exactly my point-
You can not rely on just the fact that you might be able to get hours- It has to be looked into, which is why the age limit on their site should be null-and-void, because when students find out they can or can not get hours- will effect how many volunteers they get, and with people who are above that limit who do want to volunteer for them could fill in that gap.

Kitchen
06-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Exactly my point-
You can not rely on just the fact that you might be able to get hours- It has to be looked into, which is why the age limit on their site should be null-and-void, because when students find out they can or can not get hours- will effect how many volunteers they get, and with people who are above that limit who do want to volunteer for them could fill in that gap.

Maybe they have already spoken to the board?

Tsukasa_1
06-14-2005, 03:10 PM
Theres more then one board out there like you said- unless now the limitation is within the region and age?

Kitchen
06-14-2005, 03:13 PM
I have feeling they will only be volunteers from Niagara...which means only one board.

Tsukasa_1
06-14-2005, 03:17 PM
Point recieved-
Hence why the volunteer posting should have been in the local news paper, and the request on the site Should specifically say looking for volunteers within the Niagara whom ages range from sixteen to nineteen years of age, and who are looking to complete their mandatory community service hours- Thus reliving a lot of confusion that was resolved in this thread. Donít you agree?

Kaijugal
06-15-2005, 04:10 PM
It is for the most part because of the 40 CI thing for students. I think their doing it for students whom are still needing that 40 to graduate. People whom are 25 don't need 40 hours to graduate ...

That make some sense. I didn't realize that volunteering at cons would count, but if so not an unpleasent way to get your hours. (5 of my sisters are in HS and I'm sure they would have loved to get thier hours that way.) LOL And I certaintly don't volunteer because I "need" to. LOL (some people would say I need to volunteer less). I do it because I like to practice what I preach.

The Question I am asking is why it concerns you Dawn, were you thinking of volunteering or something?

Well I did contact the masq director wayyyy back when this was announced and offered to help so I had considered it. Unfortunately because of the dates and my previous commitments to TT this year I cannot, but I most likely would if I were to attend next year. It would be nice to attend a convention I wasn't on the ConCom of for a change. *sigh* I'm freeee Muhahaha *runs amuck without any responsablitities* I was just wondering if it was a "youth only" convention and I had somehow missed that fact.

Thanks for the info.
Cheers!

Kitchen
06-15-2005, 04:26 PM
Well I did contact the masq director wayyyy back when this was announced and offered to help so I had considered it. Unfortunately because of the dates and my previous commitments to TT this year I cannot, but I most likely would if I were to attend next year. It would be nice to attend a convention I wasn't on the ConCom of for a change. *sigh* I'm freeee Muhahaha *runs amuck without any responsablitities* I was just wondering if it was a "youth only" convention and I had somehow missed that fact.

Thanks for the info.
Cheers!

Ah, I see now. Yeah I was gonna volunteer but I will be too busy with photoshoots and kicking people's butts at SW Japandonmuiumn and I wouldn't have time to help the staff out, but of course if they just walked up to meet and ask me for help on something, I would be more then happy to aid them. Then again I am also 24 so...Haha I wouldn't be counted if I were to volunteer. ^^;

TamaraMacDonald
06-16-2005, 05:35 AM
I have feeling they will only be volunteers from Niagara...which means only one board.

There is more than 1 board of Education in Niagara. :)

I know this for a fact since i grew up there- from a wee babe to a teen. There are quite a few. St.Catharines has one board, Lincoln County has another, then there is Niagara Falls- and so on. All within the boards of "Niagara Region". Rural areas seem to be rolled in for various big chunks.

I hope they remember that if you are under 18- you need to get written consent from the parent or legal guardian.

Also- the rules have changed since you were the age to qualify for the community service = graduation. Speaking from professional life- there is such a field called Volunteer Resource Management- and such a field works with government at all levels and unless it is something very specific- general gophering at a con does *not* qualify for community service. We too went down this road some years ago.:) Not only is it for life skills but to build "citizenship".

(anyone who is planning to run an event/organization solely based upon volunteers should check out the resources on VRM)

E.g. my 13 year old works for the con on a specific project from March until May- that qualifies.
My 11 year old , who runs errands at the con- general gophering- does not qualify.

The other item that people should consider is to look at providing "internships" to fill the need. If you have a job description, with roles and responsibilities and a detailed list of outcome(s) and deliverables- a specific contribution/role at the convenion preplanning can qualify as an internship for most colleges and universities. But you have to make sure you have a learning plan/contract in place and details, details, details. More or less the same scenerio applies per above re: internships.:)

As far as listening to input- i am both a parent AND a child (my parents are in their 70's/80's) and it doesnt matter that i am 40 and far from being a youth (governement definition - anyone who is under 25- a minor is anyone under 18) but still youthful- people listen IF they have communication skills working both ways. :) The only thing that age offers is experience.:) Since i have worked with BRILLANT people that are young enough to be my children and real d'oh-heads that are in their 50s.:)

Tamara

SimiHe
06-16-2005, 10:09 AM
There is only one board. 2 years ago all the boards (Niagara, St. Catharines, Lincoln County) in the region merged into one board, DSBN: Disrict School Board of Niagara. Really there is two one is DSBN and the DCSBN. ( Disrict Chathic School Board of Niagara.)

Kaijugal
06-16-2005, 10:51 AM
people listen IF they have communication skills working both ways. :) The only thing that age offers is experience.:) Since i have worked with BRILLANT people that are young enough to be my children and real d'oh-heads that are in their 50s.:)

Ain't it the truth ! :bigtu:

TamaraMacDonald
06-16-2005, 11:14 AM
There is only one board. 2 years ago all the boards (Niagara, St. Catharines, Lincoln County) in the region merged into one board, DSBN: Disrict School Board of Niagara. Really there is two one is DSBN and the DCSBN. ( Disrict Chathic School Board of Niagara.)

REALLY!! Wow- since my girlfriend Karen who stayed there in St.Kitts to teach- never said i word about it and she is home grown- just like I.

I know it is off topic but i wonder what they did with the private schools there like Ridley, and Eden.

I think this is across the board re: community service since Con No Baka is saying the same thing- casual volunteers do not qualify for the community service piece. And from my experience with the Ministry of Education (previous life) boards set their policies based upon the provincial ones.

Either way- if anyone is reading this from GCAF- make sure you get written parental/guardian consent for anyone under 18.:)

Tamara

Nagii
06-16-2005, 03:16 PM
I know it is off topic but i wonder what they did with the private schools there like Ridley, and Eden. Oh lord...I will like to report Eden is upstairs of my old Highschool. In 2000, both Lakeport and Eden were closing so they were like LET PUT THEM TOGETHER....and so it happened. Lakeport is now the lower floor of their once 2 floored school and Eden is on the top. T_T; However Ridley is still Ridley, that last time I checked the paper.

Squall1882
07-11-2005, 08:36 PM
Hmmm.. when I looked into volunteer hours it was clearly stated that it had to be for a charity or government service that aided the general public in a positive way... I wsa told that an Anime Convention did not fit into this criteria... as was my friends little bro that planned on getting some hours this year through that method. So that's two schools that said no to convention volunteering counting towards hours. They said look more towards things like working with the homeless, coaching a sports team, working in a daycare, etc.

SimiHe
07-12-2005, 10:50 AM
o.o; GCAF is a festival , a cultural festival o_O;

Mattsuke
08-08-2005, 12:59 PM
the reason we're only advertising for volunteers (not staff members, volunteers) ages 15-19 is because those ages are high school students. These students must complete 40 hours of community hour service for their schools (or at least, that's a requirement at my school). And so we get this age-range of students in order to aid them in this.

They come to our meetings, and for each meeting, they get hours done. It's easy for them, and it helps us. I'm sure we'd allow more volunteers, but high school students requiring hours will get first dibs. Hope to see you all next year!

~Mattsuke, Health and saftey rep, marketing rep.

Ochika
08-08-2005, 01:40 PM
ok ill just add my 2 cents here. at my school, Dunbarton, which is part of the durhan district school bored they clearly stated after many hours of discussions that only students with an executive/Director positions on the con board are eligiaable to recive community service hours because they are actually doing hard work, developing policies and prepairing everything for the con. so they are learning new skills and applying them. im not saying general volunteers dont do alot of work and such, but their not really learning anything they could really apply to a career. i find it really stupied that you guys only allow a certain age group to help.. because volunteers are volunteers, its not only about getting community hours but helping out something you love so it will do good.

Believed
08-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Was there any volunteers, everyone I ran into were staff?

Chibik3r0
08-08-2005, 07:11 PM
It does sort of limit the amount of people who may be interested in attending your convention by restricting the age limit. Yes, it may provide opportunity for students to fulfill their 40 hours of community service required to graduate highschool (thank god I never had to deal with that but as far as I know, this isn't something that overly benefits the community, just a specific aspect of it) but older or younger anime fans who may not be able to afford a convention sometimes use volunteering as a method to actually attend a convention and save money ^_^ If people find out they can't, they may simply bypass the con for a convention open to all ages of volunteers.

I know several people who almost always use volunteering to cover registration at a convention. I'm not sure how GCAF takes volunteering into account for refunds/bonuses, but it may be something you wish to investigate to try and draw more people rather than shutting them out simply because they're not 15 - 19.

Believed
08-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Hm there is a reason for everything.

Squall1882
08-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Hm there is a reason for everything.

Your right, there is a reason for everything, yet wheter a good one or not.. that is a totally different story...

Believed
08-09-2005, 02:24 AM
Well I don't think this thread matters right now...being gcaf is over. They don't seem to be advertising for volunteers right now anyways.. weather it was a bad choice to advertise for this or not, the con went really well...so..yeah..my 7 cents.

Mattsuke
08-09-2005, 09:52 PM
It does sort of limit the amount of people who may be interested in attending your convention by restricting the age limit. Yes, it may provide opportunity for students to fulfill their 40 hours of community service required to graduate highschool (thank god I never had to deal with that but as far as I know, this isn't something that overly benefits the community, just a specific aspect of it) but older or younger anime fans who may not be able to afford a convention sometimes use volunteering as a method to actually attend a convention and save money ^_^ If people find out they can't, they may simply bypass the con for a convention open to all ages of volunteers.

ok, this may sound a bit cruel, but if they aren't paying, and we have enough staff for everything, it really isn't that big of a loss to us. Everything inside the convention, past the entry fee, is absolutely free anyways. Apart from meals, etc. but then those are hardly ever free.

Now, I came in halfway through GCAF's planning, so I was one of the later staff. Actually, when GCAF went off, I was the only male staff member (thank god there's more guys next year, I was drowning in all the estrogen.). But that has nothing to do with anything; basically, I don't know GCAF's policy on volunteers, it was never my area, and I never heard anything about it. As of yet, we've had no meetings, so there is still nothing I know of about volunteering. However, what people think sha;ll influence the second convention, so just look for the info when it's up.

~Mattsuke