PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think is right?

TribalButterfly
06-14-2005, 04:39 PM
I have a question.

Iíve noticed at last yearís CN that a few people were really ripping into other peopleís costumes, (verbally, of course) when they considered the costume in question not ďup to parĒ.

My question to you guys is, what do you think is right in this situation?

Do you think that:

A. ďPeople who are going to make a costume should take the time to do it right, or not do it at all. Itís disrespectful to those people out there who actually make the effort to make an accurate costume, when other people do a half -@$$ job.Ē (Secret Source)

Or

B. ďIf thatís the best that someone can do, then itís a good costume. Every year you get better and we all have to start somewhere. At least they are showing some spirit, and thatís what counts.Ē (Another Secret Source)

Nagi Lee
06-14-2005, 05:50 PM
B. ďIf thatís the best that someone can do, then itís a good costume. Every year you get better and we all have to start somewhere. At least they are showing some spirit, and thatís what counts.Ē

aslong as u try its good. every cosplayer deseves a picture no matter wat there costume looks like beacuse they have the right idea u know. even if it doesn't look like the actual character,but u kinda know who it is. but still b is the right one

Ayame0
06-14-2005, 08:36 PM
I'd have to choose both. A. because you should try and make it as nice as you can (Not A. because it isn't at all disrespectful unless it is offensive or rude in a way), but B. because as long as you try it's fine if it isn't completely perfect or even that accurate, as long as it is the best you can do.

~Ayame

Yuna-X2
06-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Always always always B. If someone is a beginner, they should be encouraged, even if their costume isn't that great. Everyone needs to start somewhere. People who feel they can insult costumes that might not be totally accurate and stuff are not good. Some people might not be able to afford the fabric that looks right but is $10, $15 or more a metre. We all need to start somewhere.

Sarcasm-hime
06-15-2005, 12:39 AM
Partly A, partly B. But I strongly believe that people should honestly assess their skills and abilities. It makes me sad to see a newbie try really hard on a difficult costume and just end up looking terrible because they don't have the skills to make it yet. It's far better to do a great job on a simpler costume.

Also people should honestly assess what will look good on them and what won't. Often costumes can be altered slightly in order to make them look better on one's specific body type, and IMHO being slightly inaccurate but looking good in your costume is better than being 100% accurate and looking like crap.

Vicky
06-15-2005, 07:33 AM
Yeah I don't entirely think those're fair generalities.

You should try your very best to make a costume and have fun. But you should be careful. The biggest problem with new cosplayers is they choose very difficult costumes. Choose something you know you can do, and do it well, then do it, try your best, and I'm SURE it will turn out wonderful.
But if you're just LAZY and can't be bothered to learn how to sew and just throw something together from your closet and maybe a thrift store... then do the real cosplayers a favour ;)
NOTE: There's nothing wrong with thrift store cosplay shopping!! I'm simply making a point that if that's ALL your costume consists of, I don't really consider it a costume. Unless you make modifications.

Keda
06-15-2005, 10:22 AM
B. ďIf thatís the best that someone can do, then itís a good costume. Every year you get better and we all have to start somewhere. At least they are showing some spirit, and thatís what counts.Ē (Another Secret Source)

ZiggyB
06-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Ok, as this thread does not directly relate to CNAnime, I'm going to go ahead and close it.

Sorry folks.