PDA

View Full Version : Photo Gallery Comments and Questions

Admin
07-19-2002, 12:04 AM
Please post any questions/comments on the new photo gallery here so we can keep them all in one thread.

Rosiel
07-19-2002, 08:57 AM
OK here is one! I am trying to upload photos... I managed to get one up, then I got an error "You are allowed a maximum of 0 bytes of diskspace for your images. If you would like to upload more images, please delete some of your older images and/or optimize your images using lower quality jpg settings before uploading."

The one picture I uploaded is only 35Kb.

Oh, and I miss the uploading by URL. That was a nifty feature since I generally don't keep my pictures on my HD but on my servers.

Rosiel
07-19-2002, 09:12 AM
Oh another comment... in what order are one's albums displayed (it's not chronological that I can see, not about the latest updated either it seems and not alphabetical) and is there a way to order them ourselves?

(In my case, it's annoying to have two albums starting in "a" sandwiching one in "v"...)

Let me pound on it a little more and see if I can come up with more comments...

kelldar
07-19-2002, 01:52 PM
I'm having the same trouble... I uploaded one pic and when I try to upload another, it tells me the "maximum 0 bytes of diskspace, etc" thingie.

Admin
07-19-2002, 03:17 PM
ok I've fixed the diskspace problem, I accidentally set it to zero when I was debugging the setup :)

I guess in this version I have to have some sort of default upper limit so I'm setting it to 10 megs per person for the time being. That's enough for about 200 pictures each at 50KB (100 at 100KB, and so on) so hopefully it'll be enough for the time being. If people find themselves needing more space than that please PM me and I can set it higher.

Rosiel - As for the order of the albums, I'm not sure if there's a way to order them currently. I'll put that in as a feature request at the place I got the script from though, it's still a young script and in heavy development so I'm assuming they'll add simple features like that quickly enough. Did they show up in the order you created them? I have photos set up to show up alphabetically by default, I hacked that in so maybe I can hack in an album fix too.

Originally posted by Rosiel

Oh, and I miss the uploading by URL. That was a nifty feature since I generally don't keep my pictures on my HD but on my servers.

I'll check into this as well, might wind up being another feature request added in an update.

Rosiel
07-20-2002, 08:51 AM
And yet another comment! ^___^

"Order alphabetically" for pictures does not really do alphabetical. My stuff has its own order it defaults to, which is neither of the other options just.. random... Starts with M goes to S, to R, to A, back to R... O_O

> Did they show up in the order you created them?

No they showed up in no order I can figure out.

> I have photos set up to show up alphabetically by default

Maybe "newest first" might be more useful... when you go to a gallery you've already visited, you want to see the new stuff first, or so it seems to me.^___^

And great work, btw, I keep on shooting comments at you and forgetting to mention that. This script has so many options the other did not have, it's really an improvement.

Admin
07-20-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel

"Order alphabetically" for pictures does not really do alphabetical. My stuff has its own order it defaults to, which is neither of the other options just.. random... Starts with M goes to S, to R, to A, back to R... O_O

Maybe "newest first" might be more useful... when you go to a gallery you've already visited, you want to see the new stuff first, or so it seems to me.^___^

This seems to be working for the main galleries, but not the sub-albums. I think what we need is a way to choose which view method one wants their album to default to. I had it set up alphabetically to show pictures in order for non-updating albums. Newest first is definitely the way to go as the default once I can figure out how to assign it on a per-album basis.

And great work, btw, I keep on shooting comments at you and forgetting to mention that. This script has so many options the other did not have, it's really an improvement.
Thanks. :) I especially like it cause it's being constantly developed (as opposed to the old script which hasn't had a developer update in months) and it integrates so seamlessly with the forums. There are a couple of features sorely missed (multiple "browse" uploading, better sorting and ordering) but these are things that I'm sure will be added as options sooner or later.

Rosiel
07-20-2002, 10:29 PM
I'm idiotic, the order of the pictures IS alphabetical... by file name of all things! O_O

Admin
07-20-2002, 10:39 PM
If there's a use for it I can add a drop-down option for the surfer to order pictures alphabetically by the titles rather than filenames. Is that closer to what you were looking for?

It would then ALSO turn up as an option for the default once I find a way to allow members to pick which way they can order their galleries. No ETA on that as of yet though.

Adella
07-20-2002, 10:39 PM
Rosiel you rule. Thanks for helping us with this.