PDA

View Full Version : Hanboks?

lainey
06-19-2005, 05:26 PM
Has anyone made or planned to make a hanbok?

A question about hanboks anyhow...are most of the designs embroidery, fabric paint, or applique?

Eleryth
06-19-2005, 06:55 PM
From my copy of "Hanbok: The Art of Korean Clothing", I believe it's mostly embroidery (there's a huge chapter on how incredible the embroidery technique became - it's stunning).

I've heard that Folkwear sells a fairly authentic pattern, but I haven't tried it or anything, so I'm not sure how authentic it is. It's the only pattern I know of.

lainey
06-19-2005, 11:08 PM
Thanks ^_^

I actually picked up a pattern from folkwear...I'll let you know how it turns out ^_^ ^_^

What type of fabric should I be using for hanboks?? If not using pricey silk...any suggestions?

Eleryth
06-20-2005, 06:56 AM
The book never mentioned other fabrics, unfortunately. It was mostly beautiful brocades and silks. Something that simulates silk, I guess. Does the Folkwear pattern not suggest anything?

lainey
06-20-2005, 08:00 AM
I am just waiting for it in the mail right now actually ^_^

mangaka_jiwon
06-20-2005, 11:19 PM
hanbok is really elegant and pretty..... ^^; I used to have several hanbok when I was young.. but.. those became so~~ tight for me to wear right now...T_T

I wish I could buy another one.......... =_=

Silence_Sigh
06-21-2005, 10:41 PM
lol, ill be wearing the male hanbok on aug cuz its my grandmums 80th b-day. my family rented a restaurant and all my relatives will be wearing hanboks. ^^

personally, although it feels very compfy and good wearing one, it gets VERY HOT so i dont like wearing it unless its winter and usualy the times in korea where u wear the hanboks is in winter.

anyways, fabric used in hanbok is silk. its always been silk unless ur planning to make the peasent version which i doubt.

mangaka_jiwon
06-22-2005, 12:46 AM
the thing is.. hanboks aren't always made out of silk...-_-; they use other fabrics too......-_-;

lainey
06-22-2005, 02:17 PM
i guess that's what i'm trying to figure out..what other fabrics they use...

out of curiousity..what type of fabrics do peasants use? just regular cotton/polyester?

kiwi_lady
06-22-2005, 02:27 PM
somthin like tht c/p is it i think

Silence_Sigh
06-22-2005, 07:37 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/db581fc9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/b1baf69a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/5e4d7f5c.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/b1fef1ea.jpg

some hanbok pics.

lainey
06-22-2005, 08:24 PM
*DIES* lol
The little girls are so cute O_O O_O

Wow the designs on the fabric are amazing O_O

I've seen this design though:
http://www.clickasia.co.kr/digicart/products/shop/hanbok/070.jpg

And I've seen a lot from this designer..but I noticed that the skirt is MUCH more poofier than hanboks I have seen IRL.

I've seen the "petticoat" under ordinary hanboks...but for the poofiness of that style of skirt...should I make it like "regular" petticoats or would that be a TOTALLY no no to the korean style?

Silence_Sigh
06-23-2005, 02:13 AM
iono wut a petticoat is (lol >.<) but i do know that underneath what u see in the girls hanbok, u wear undearwear version of it. basically its the same design like the one u see in all the pics (2 piece. the top and skirt) but all white. but i think wut makes the skirt "poofy" is the skirt which is very high. like, the top part of the skirt is above the boobs. heres an example, this is how the skirt would be undernearth the top.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/070.jpg

lainey
06-23-2005, 07:58 AM
yeah I've seen the "underwear" for normal hanboks..but they were no where near as poofy as the one in that pic.

According to this website: http://www.studyinkorea.go.kr/ENGLISH/A300/A300_Co.jsp

"There were various kind of underwear including pants (Darisokgot, Soksokgot, Baji, and Dansokgot), skirts (Mujigi and Daeshumsokchima), and shirts, which were shorter than outer garments in length and made of flimsy fabric in light colors. Nowadays, people wear only a few kinds of underwear such as a Sokbaji, a Sokchima, and a western-style petticoat for a flared outer skirt."

Wow..so I guess I was correct..they DO use a western-style petticoat to get the super poofy look O_O

lainey
07-08-2005, 07:11 PM
i just got the pattern...i'm excited to start!!!
it's soooo much more complex than i ever thought!!!!!

i plan to wear this for new years...
the pattern suggests some lovely colours...just curious..what colours you think will be nice :D :D

my favourite colour is purple..but i haven't seen any purple hanboks before o_O

kiwi_lady
07-08-2005, 08:06 PM
wht about white and purple or pink and purple :3?

lainey
07-09-2005, 09:30 AM
i know that white is often used for daily wear...naw not pink and purple lol

maybe two shades of purple if i could..and white trims ^_^ ^_^

OMIGOSH I LOVE YOUR AVATOR GGXX *hearts*

inuyashaANgel90
07-09-2005, 02:40 PM
ohh purple hanbok haha i think my mom has one that color..what pattern i mostly see in korean hanboks is like patterns with like color or just nature related patterns...or is that just me haha XD.hmm purple and white would be a good color

Koumori
07-09-2005, 11:00 PM
White is traditional, but there aren't really many restrictions on modern hanbok colors nowadays; I think pretty much any tasteful color combination can work. I've seen some very pretty ones in dusty roses and mauves.

I found the Yang book pretty useless as far as telling me exactly how to *wear* hanbok - what exactly the correct undergarments look like, how to wear them, etc. - so I've relied on the things I've bought from Korea. The "petticoat" nowadays is like a one-piece slip with an empire bodice (not straps like the ch'ima) and a relatively stiff fabric for the skirt.

Eleryth
07-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Koumori, any other book suggestions? I bought it while at the Seoul airport because it was pretty, and it has a lot of information. I was hoping it had more of a "how to wear" section in it, though... but the pictures are gorgeous.

Koumori
07-10-2005, 07:00 AM
Koumori, any other book suggestions? I bought it while at the Seoul airport because it was pretty, and it has a lot of information. I was hoping it had more of a "how to wear" section in it, though... but the pictures are gorgeous.

Sadly, I haven't been able to find anything else in English. It took me forever to figure out that you're just supposed to loop that decorative tassel over the front tie. @.@ So I've been muddling through based on pictures and the pieces I've gotten from ebay, mostly.

lainey
07-10-2005, 08:01 PM
i'm going to raid my bf's mother's closet of hanboks LOL LOL

i'll get her to teach me...maybe i'll put up an informative thread about how to wear hanboks and what not ^_^

Village_Idiot
07-10-2005, 10:08 PM
I love hanboks please wear them. hehehe. Also if you could please post pics of the final product. You dont neccessarily have to be in it but I just want to see what itll look like. just curious. also Do girls like to wear their hair in the traditional style with the chopstick (hehe the jade stick thing) or hanbok and present day hairstyle?

Koumori
07-11-2005, 05:20 AM
I love hanboks please wear them. hehehe. Also if you could please post pics of the final product. You dont neccessarily have to be in it but I just want to see what itll look like. just curious. also Do girls like to wear their hair in the traditional style with the chopstick (hehe the jade stick thing) or hanbok and present day hairstyle?

I made this one for Seung Mina from SC3. She wears her hair in a ponytail. My hair's too short to put up.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=134397

lainey
07-11-2005, 10:34 AM
does anyone know any websites that sell those hanbok ornaments??

i'm just going to put my hair up...i dunno any hairstyles that they use...and my gosh i'm not going to do what the court ladies used to do with their hair -_- -_-

lainey
07-11-2005, 10:58 AM
OH and also...looking for a tutorial online or something...to make the korean knots (maedup) seen on the ornaments..(norigae?)

Village_Idiot
07-12-2005, 02:04 AM
OH and also...looking for a tutorial online or something...to make the korean knots (maedup) seen on the ornaments..(norigae?)

If you want the knot on the shirt part in the front Ive seen my mom and sis do it using just a smple knot like when you tie a bow but with only one loop fold thingy. If you were in LA id tell you which store to go to get a great price on it but online I have no idea. I did visit a site once that was by like really exclusive designer in korea. hmm wonder if I can find it. maybe it can help you with ideas.

EDIT:

Found this one: it has english as well http://www.seoul88.com/

This one if you can read korean: http://www.hanboks.net/

Dang it sorry I lost the link to the designer. It wouldve been so much more helpful for you.

Koumori: That hanbok you made is freakin awesome. Thanx for showing me.

lainey
07-12-2005, 08:27 AM
no the maedup is the knot on the norigae:
http://www.taekwondobible.com/fd/pics/norigae.jpg

there are various techniques...all the websites i found online were dead :(

can't find a place to buy the norigae as well!!

ooo...and how to do the hairstyle:
http://www.seoul88.com/image/hanbok%20image/508.jpg

O_O

Koumori
07-12-2005, 09:44 AM
I haven't seen a place to buy norigae separately (in English anyway), though sometimes they do turn up on ebay. My life in this regard would be much, much easier if I could read Korean, I suspect. You might even consider checking out books on macrame for the knots, as I'm sure I've seen those diamond-shaped knots elsewhere...

lainey
07-12-2005, 05:36 PM
bleh i can only find things in korean..and even my fluent bf can't read korean very well -_-

must harass his mother...i hope that she'll know????

Squall1882
07-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Ahahahhahaaa.... make one this colour!! This one rocks Lainey!!

http://www.seoul88.com/image/hanbok%20image/517.jpg

Or the evil light green on dark green *evil side to side clances*

Aren't some of the chinese knotted decorations similar to the korean?? maybe by looking at the chinese ones you could figure out a way to make the korean.

Chanté
07-12-2005, 10:52 PM
I've made hanbok, based off of a video game character design (Seung Mina's unlockable outfit from Soul Calibur II). I've gotten more sewing experience since then, but yeah. :> I used the pattern from www.folkwear.com. Right now Butterick just released a commercial hanbok pattern. I can't vouch for the authenticity of either, but they're out there.

Here are some pics of mine:
http://lionhearts.interstellar-beams.net/galleries/seungmina/index.html

If I were to do it again, I would probably make the chima out of a heavier fabric to achieve the more poufy look that real hanbok appear to have in those pictures. I would probably also interface the ties (the pattern doesn't say to, but I HIGHLY recommend doing so so that the bow part doesn't droop!).

Skyline Kyo
07-13-2005, 12:00 AM
Yeah! Representin well Chante!

Now when I was in Korea last year, my uncle was telling me there's two styles to these now o.o;

The old fashioned way is like Seung Mina's while the new fashioned way has the hip thinner. Kinda suprising to say the least.

Silence_Sigh
07-13-2005, 02:00 AM
ah, bout the hair style. okay, if u tie it back and make a bun, it means ur married.

if u tie it back and braid it, means ur not married. ah, and ur suppose to tie this long ribbon (usually red) at the tip of the hair too.

traditionally ur not suppose to leave ur hair untied or tied but without briad, it means ur status is lower than a peasent and wouldnt be wearing the hanbok ur going to make since that design is for the upper class/noble class.

on aug, its going to be my grandmums(mother side) 80th bday so theres going to be a celebration and all the family is gathering and all the females are going to wear hanbok. i'll take pics and post em.

Chanté
07-13-2005, 05:03 AM
traditionally ur not suppose to leave ur hair untied or tied but without briad, it means ur status is lower than a peasent and wouldnt be wearing the hanbok ur going to make since that design is for the upper class/noble class.

^^;;;;; oops! Either I interpreted the character design wrong, or the game character designers didn't do their research. Or both. XD I could have sworn she had that princess jasmine ponytail I've been wearing, though! At least my fellow Mina 3P cosplayer Koumori agrees with me! :>

lainey
07-13-2005, 08:28 AM
chante that's a GoRGEOUS hanbok..so pretty!!

traditionally the fabric isn't supposed to be patterned...but it's game reference O_O

i'm in love with hanboks now O_O O_O

good idea..i'll add interfacing to the bow

LOL jordan...dark green...highest kitchen lady O_O O_O O_O *evil side to side glances*

ohh but....this is all i found for the chinese:
http://www.chineseknotting.org/

i'm going to try to keep the authenticity as much as I can lol But I might have to get away with chinese knotting otherwise O_O

i want the hanbok to be a surprise to my bf's family O_O

Koumori
07-13-2005, 09:57 AM
^^;;;;; oops! Either I interpreted the character design wrong, or the game character designers didn't do their research. Or both. XD I could have sworn she had that princess jasmine ponytail I've been wearing, though! At least my fellow Mina 3P cosplayer Koumori agrees with me! :>

That'd be option B (no research), especially since she isn't wearing anything but white panties underneath. :P She does indeed wear a ponytail, tied off in a couple of places with ribbons.

I used Folkwear's pattern and didn't like it very much; I didn't have any authentic hanbok from Korea to compare it with at the time, but I think the FW pattern would be more successful with a wider band on the ch'ima (if you have a wider, stiffer band and tie it around your breasts, you get decent support without having to worry about fitting other undergarments under there) - both of my Korean ones have that and both are easier to wear. I also used a very soft fabric for the skirt, which looks nice but needs extra support underneath; I'm planning to go back and add a layer of organdy to the ch'ima itself as a sort of built-in slip, as most of the Korean ones I've seen have.

I also definitely second the recommendation to interface the tie. Wish I'd done that.

Here's another question for Korean folks: when I wore Mina at a convention a couple of years ago, a number of Korean people stopped to talk to me about it, and one of them told me that Mina's hanbok looks so matronly that some Korean gamers call her "Mama Mina." But he wasn't able to explain to me exactly what about it would give that impression. I'm sure there must be visual hanbok codes like there are with kimono (where raising or lowering your collar or your obi line a little bit, or wearing certain colors together, can completely change what your outfit is saying about you)... but what are they?

kiwi_lady
07-13-2005, 01:26 PM
all i know is tht the little ribbon thing on the chogori is suppose to go on the left side ;; and the speical chogoris http://www.arewin.co.kr/sishop/img/item/147s.jpg like this one is for the royals and blah;;
oh and for norige, the chinese knot thing, it might serve you better just to buy one o.o
they have really pretty ones with like little daggers attached to them to like... protect yourself from stuff -_-;;;
there are different types of hanbooks and one is called gae ryang hanbok and its where they changed the style to be easier to wear for the present life style. they arent as pretty as older ones though in my opinion :)
i prolly made no sence at all but yes my little knowledge on hanbok;;
oh and chante, very lovely hanbok :3! looks really pretty !!

lainey
07-13-2005, 09:31 PM
actually i know what you are talking about..the dagger thingy LOL

my bf wanted to get me one..it's something about "eternal chastity" and women carry it around to protect themself...now they have like a "plushie" version of it...just for the meaning lol

awesome news...my bf is to bring back a norigae from korea...less searching for me!!

but i still would like to find out about maedup if anyone knows O_O

now...i know that some wedding/special occassion and what the court ladies used to wear...has that circle thing in the front...

would it be *offensive* to wear that style to a christmas/new years party?? i think it'd be weird...because everyone else doesn't have the circle thingy...

Koumori
07-14-2005, 05:01 AM
would it be *offensive* to wear that style to a christmas/new years party?? i think it'd be weird...because everyone else doesn't have the circle thingy...

I don't know about offensive, but I think it would be a little weird. I think you'd be very overdressed for the occasion.

kiwi_lady
07-14-2005, 10:06 AM
it wouldnt be weird but.. you will stand out.. alot due do the decorativeness of ur hanbok .. but u can become a princess for the day > D <
and i laughed about the plushie version of the dagger.. its so cute lol

lainey
07-14-2005, 05:46 PM
how about those dancer hanboks O_O so colourful O_O O_O O_O

i think the dancer ones all have stripes on the sleeves..and are very colourful

Silence_Sigh
07-14-2005, 06:42 PM
actually i know what you are talking about..the dagger thingy LOL

my bf wanted to get me one..it's something about "eternal chastity" and women carry it around to protect themself...now they have like a "plushie" version of it...just for the meaning lol

lol... correction. its not meant to defend yourself. its meant to commit suicide by stabbing yourself to the heart... >.< :lost: and if u cant commit suicide with that lil knife because of whatever circumstances, ur suppose to bite ur tongue off... :waaaah:

Silence_Sigh
07-14-2005, 06:47 PM
oh, i just remembered! i had a few pics of my mum wearing hanbok from my parents anniversity party several years ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/Picture4.jpg = family pic... older sis is missing cuz she was out of country... gawd... i hate the hair... mum forced me to cut like that... older bros on the other side. lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/Picture1.jpg = my mum and i. sorry bout the blue ink thumb print... XD... photographer forced me to smile... -.-...

Koumori
07-14-2005, 10:25 PM
oh, i just remembered! i had a few pics of my mum wearing hanbok from my parents anniversity party several years ago.

You and your mom both look great. ^_^

Chanté
07-15-2005, 01:11 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/Picture4.jpg = family pic... older sis is missing cuz she was out of country... gawd... i hate the hair... mum forced me to cut like that... older bros on the other side. lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/Picture1.jpg = my mum and i. sorry bout the blue ink thumb print... XD... photographer forced me to smile... -.-...
That hanbok your mom is wearing is so beautiful!!! (And you're really hott too! ^_^)

Village_Idiot
07-15-2005, 01:44 AM
Geez Im like 100% korean and I have no idea what you guys were talking about hahahahaha I better hit the books. This somewhat embarrassing teehehehehehehehehehe.

tofu
07-18-2005, 02:38 AM
i went to Seoul Comic World yesterday wearing a hanbok~ cos im that cool XD

Village_Idiot
07-20-2005, 03:45 AM
Wurd!

Rx7grl
07-21-2005, 02:46 PM
i'm going to raid my bf's mother's closet of hanboks LOL LOL

i'll get her to teach me...maybe i'll put up an informative thread about how to
wear hanboks and what not ^_^

How did it come out? I wanted to try out the pattern for folkwear, but i wasn't sure if it's good or not :p if you could let me know :)

lainey
07-25-2005, 08:52 AM
i have yet to raid her closet! lol my bf is in korea..so i have to wait until he comes back!!

i started working on my hanbok, and i am going to wear my sister's wedding petticoat underneathe for the westernized "poof" seen in those designer hanboks!!

Raenef
07-26-2005, 01:45 PM
hee~ I got a bunch of "vintage" hanbok a couple years ago from my grandmother's friend since they didn't fit her anymore. If I ever find my digicam, I'll take pics if anyone wants some.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=326825 <-- this is my "graduation present" summer hanbok - it was after I cropped my hair short... but when it was long, I had a matching long white embroidered ribbon for my braid. (You're supposed to wear the ribbon within your braid but I've found it easier to just sneak it in my hairtie.)

On a side note: I have become completely infatuated with the bujeonji (ribbon-hat thing) that the farmer's parade dancers use in samulnori. ( http://www.willi-stengel.de/image/RKI0101.jpg ) It just looks so fun. ^^ My grandmother finds it hilarious/ridiculous that I want one.

Here's another question for Korean folks: when I wore Mina at a convention a couple of years ago, a number of Korean people stopped to talk to me about it, and one of them told me that Mina's hanbok looks so matronly that some Korean gamers call her "Mama Mina." But he wasn't able to explain to me exactly what about it would give that impression. I'm sure there must be visual hanbok codes like there are with kimono (where raising or lowering your collar or your obi line a little bit, or wearing certain colors together, can completely change what your outfit is saying about you)... but what are they?

I kinda get that impression too... although not really matronly as... old. I'm not sure why but I think it's the colors.

lainey
07-26-2005, 07:53 PM
what a BEAUTIFUL hanbok O_O O_O O_O *dies*

Silence_Sigh
07-28-2005, 01:33 AM

the only thing i can think of the reason why they called u "mama mina" aka "mina um ma" is because maybe u had ur hair in a bun? cuz that usually symbolizes as married status as to having a pony braided tail symbolizes not married. its VERY common in korea where the mothers are called by their childrens name and added the word "mother" afterwords. therefore mina um ma, in this case mama mina. :dance:

Koumori
07-28-2005, 05:11 AM
the only thing i can think of the reason why they called u "mama mina" aka "mina um ma" is because maybe u had ur hair in a bun? cuz that usually symbolizes as married status as to having a pony braided tail symbolizes not married. its VERY common in korea where the mothers are called by their childrens name and added the word "mother" afterwords. therefore mina um ma, in this case mama mina. :dance:

Nope, I had the right hairdo. The guy told me it was definitelythe outfit, and definitely not just him. I thought it was intriguing.

lainey
07-29-2005, 08:51 AM
OMIGOSH my bf brought back home a GORGEOUS norigae O_O O_O O_O

Now problem....it has a loop...where do I attach it O_O

Raenef
07-29-2005, 10:07 AM
OMIGOSH my bf brought back home a GORGEOUS norigae O_O O_O O_O

Now problem....it has a loop...where do I attach it O_O

My grandmother put one of the ribbons on the chogori through the loop and then tied the ribbons. That way, it hangs off the ribbons. You should put it on the right ribbon because that goes over the left ribbon and the norigae will show above the ribbons, not under it. ^^ I think... (it's been a while...)

Koumori
07-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Yup, just slide it over the ribbon before you tie the knot. It took me for-stinking-ever to figure that out. :P

Sarcasm-hime
07-29-2005, 05:58 PM
I bought a hanbok jacket (chogori?) at a secondhand store awhile back, but it has no ribbons. It just has little ties on the inside to keep it closed, and then tiny loops on the front (one on each side). I assume the loops have a function, but I haven't the foggiest what it is.

kiwi_lady
07-29-2005, 06:59 PM
or u can cheat and just safety pin the norige on :P <- How my mom would use to do it for me during new years :3

lainey
07-30-2005, 11:00 AM
Yup, just slide it over the ribbon before you tie the knot. It took me for-stinking-ever to figure that out. :P

i'll take your word for it and try it out O_O O_O

lainey
08-01-2005, 08:33 AM
LOL i just found out that you are only supposed to wear the norigae if you're married O_O

Eleryth
08-02-2005, 02:53 AM
Guess you'd better get hitched then, Lainey! XD Maybe he's trying to tell you something? ^^

lainey
08-02-2005, 08:55 AM
Guess you'd better get hitched then, Lainey! XD Maybe he's trying to tell you something? ^^

LOL!!!

But hey...would it look STRANGE if i wore the norigae too with the hanbok?

i'd never wear the norigae around his parents though LOL

Eleryth
08-02-2005, 10:15 AM
I don't think so. Think of the number of Koreans (or other people) you'd meet who would actually know...it's probably quite low.

I mean, I wear furisode kimono, and I'll soon be 25, and I'll probably wear it even after I'm married, just because it was really expensive. Why wait? And if someone comments, you can say that you do know, but since it was a gift, you wanted to wear it anyway.

Koumori
08-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Of course not... you'll just look mature. ^_^

Raenef
08-02-2005, 04:38 PM
I wore my norigae to my graduation and my traditional grandmother was the one who gave it to me, so I think it's safe to say that we Koreans mostly wear it for looks anyhow. ;)

Does anyone still want hanbok wearing mini-tutorial? I could whip one up... ^^

lainey
08-02-2005, 06:38 PM
I wore my norigae to my graduation and my traditional grandmother was the one who gave it to me, so I think it's safe to say that we Koreans mostly wear it for looks anyhow. ;)

Does anyone still want hanbok wearing mini-tutorial? I could whip one up... ^^

yeah that'd be great ^_^ i haven't visited my bf's family yet LOL

Koumori
08-03-2005, 01:40 PM
How did it come out? I wanted to try out the pattern for folkwear, but i wasn't sure if it's good or not :p if you could let me know :)

If I were using the Folkwear pattern again, I'd widen the top band on the ch'ima and make sure it's very stiff and strong so it could be tied around the breasts for support. I'd also double up the skirt fabric, with the inside layer being a stiff fabric like organdy; this would give it more support and make it more like the authentic hanbok I've seen. Also, interface the ties, and watch the lower edge of the jacket. Stay-stitch carefully, and if you are at all large- or low-busted, make a muslin first as you may need to make adjustments.

Kurimono
08-03-2005, 11:15 PM
I'm just curious has there much, if any, talk over the male verison of the han bok? I only known of the one I wore as a very young child(for my 1st birthday), and my mother did offer to get me one for my recent birthday a month ago, but I had declined at the time.

Raenef
08-04-2005, 04:01 PM
I bought a hanbok jacket (chogori?) at a secondhand store awhile back, but it has no ribbons. It just has little ties on the inside to keep it closed, and then tiny loops on the front (one on each side). I assume the loops have a function, but I haven't the foggiest what it is.

It might be an over-jacket... in which case you would need to have buttons for the loops? (like frog closures). I'm not sure though. I'd have to see it to get an idea. ^^;;

I'm just curious has there much, if any, talk over the male verison of the han bok? I only known of the one I wore as a very young child(for my 1st birthday), and my mother did offer to get me one for my recent birthday a month ago, but I had declined at the time.

I love the male verson of hanbok. but not much talk of it here. ^^;; They look so comfy compared to the female version. (My grandma used to tie the chima very tightly. x_X) I would try one out if I could get away with it.

Kurimono
08-04-2005, 07:21 PM
I"m rather unaware of of the names of the parts of han bok(I"m guessing chima is the ribbon though). My mother didn't expose me much to Korean culture(I didn't even know what a han bok was until reading a manwha...). Neither do I remember how to speak the language >_<. But learning about it has remain a side interest for me.

I do have pictures of the han bok I wore as a child along with my mother's if anyone likes to see them. However, they aren't HQ pieces that were manufactured rather then each part of the dress maded(my mother's only has a upper and lower part).

BlueJeans07
08-08-2005, 04:38 AM
Here's a quick translation:

Chima= skirt
Chogori= blouse

Fabric Choices
Modern hanboks are currently made out of a light woven fabric that holds it shape well but is still very flexible. I'm not quite sure what kind of fabric it is and I've only seen it on hanboks and I haven't seen it in the Los Angeles Fashion Distric either. The designs for this fabric are usually printed on in different colors but I've seen it a lot in gold. The designs are also very set, there is a specific pattern that they follow and very rarely are prints scattered.

Silk is still a traditional choice, very thick, strong silk. The designs are also printed on but there are also embroidered designs. However, silk does not BREATH, you will get HOT. I remember there was a post about striped sleeves, those are not only for dancers, I had a hanbok when I was little that had striped sleeves. A lot of people do, but currently, those striped sleeves are usually favored for little girl hanboks.

Chogori
There is NO INTERFACING on the ribbons at all, there's no feeling of stiffness, but they are two fabrics sewn together (there also is a special way you have to tie the ribbon.) There is however, a stiff white collar around the chogori that is about 1/2" wide that I would say is a bit of interfacing or even stabilizer, it's very strong. Also, the chogori must be crossed in a certain way, I'm thinking it's right over left but I'm having a memory lapse at the moment. The proper length for a chogori is to fall right beneath the breasts but modern times have changed that rule, as well as specific types of hanbok. The most modern style I've seen is just a regular jacket that closes with frog clasps that end right at the waist.

There are also specific places where there are seams which is under the sleeves and at the sides, there are no shoulder seams or seams attaching the sleeves to the chogori. Also, there is no visible hem on the chogori, it's completely lined with its own fabric.

Chima
The chima hasn't changed a whole lot. Traditionally, the chima is a wrap around skirt that wraps around beneath a woman's breasts and tied together although that's not always the case. It's typical for there to be a slit but it's usually held closed by the woman herself, and the skirt is gigantic anyway so nothing will be seen. There is a very narrow waist band that's smaller than the chima, the ties are attachted to the waist band itself.

There are also no visible seams on a chima nor a hem.

Underclothing
Yes, there is an empire waisted slip to give more fullness into the chima. Underneath that are pantaloons, simple drawstring short, slightly pants that end around the knee. There is also a very short shirt underneath like the chogori with sleeves, the one my mother has snaps closed.

Hair and Accessories
For women, there are two specific choices for your hair:

Braid: slicked back hair, singular braid, usually tied with a red ribon as wide as the ribbon on your chogori. There's a specific way to tie it to. This shows that you are unmarried.

Braided bun with a hairstick: slicked back hair, singular braid but rolled up into a bun, held in place with a hairstick. This shows that you are married.

Various things can be tied to the breast bows, around New Years' a little bag is tied there so that you can put your New Year's money in them =D There are also various ornaments tied there as well, very pretty ones at that like little beaded slippers, etc.

Final Notes
Seung Mina's hanbok IS NOT ACCURATE to the way hanboks are actually supposed to be. I haven't seen the patterns that are being offered for a female hanbok but what I've written down here are what I know about hanboks after wearing them so many times. My mother has loads of hanboks and my family is very traditional that we celebrate Korean holidays with the bowing to the ancestors, etc. I hope this has been helpful!

Raenef
08-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Wow. Lots of info. ^^

Just added notes:
re: chogori
.: I used to have striped sleeve hanbok too! I would say it is almost definitely a little-girl thing. Or at least younger teen. Most older wear has at most 2 base colors. (Red and green seem to be the most popular)
.: They sell just the stiff white collars sometimes. My grandma has a bundle (20 or so) in her closet. Apparently, you're supposed to change them every other month or so because they wear out. (Of course, that no longer applies since we don't wear them on day-to-day basis.)
.: Actually, my grandma was telling me that chogori length varied in history. It's all a matter of what's in fashion at the time and what's not. It lengthens and shortens and lengthens again. She calls fashion a cycle because of that. ^^ (Historical dramas, while not entirely historically accurate, have wonderful hanbok costumes to look at. We were watching one when I asked about the chogori length.)

re: chima
.: I was actually told to tie above the breasts and then move them up to create lift. I was always too lazy to, though. ^^;; Tieing under seems to be much easier. *nods* Wonder why I didn't think of that... ^^;;;;

re: hair
.: Don't forget that you have to make a middle-part then slick to the side & back. ^^

OK... here's my hanbok mini-tutorial. ^^ I mismatched my hanbok because I didn't want to fold my white chima after I was done so I just took my red chima which was on a hanger. (Chogori=summer, Chima=winter) It looked easier to fold back. I am so lazy. ^^;;

1. This is my sokbaji (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/jungi/hanbok/sokbaji.jpg). Like BlueJeans07 said, they are like pantaloons. Not historically accurate, but modernly adjusted. They have a big pocket in the front and have elastic waistband.
2. Then you wear the sokchima (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/jungi/hanbok/sokchima-on.jpg). Mine closes with a couple of hooks and large, flat eyes.
3. Then you should wear the chima (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/jungi/hanbok/thread-in-armhole.jpg). My grandma always threaded the right tie through the left armhole for more security? It might be just what my family does though. ^^;; You tie the chima in the front (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/jungi/hanbok/chima-tie.jpg). Then you should tuck the bow under the tie so it is flat.
4. Next, you wear the under-chogori (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/jungi/hanbok/under-chogori-on.jpg). *doesn't know proper name >.<;; * Winter (heavier cloth) hanbok don't really need this. (At least, I've never worn it with winter hanbok.) It's mainly for the summer (lighter, see-through) hanbok. Mine closes with a little velcro.
5. Then you put your chogori (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/jungi/hanbok/complete.jpg) on. The only thing I notice now is that I tied the ribbon wrong. It's supposed to go the other way. >.<;; The bow part is supposed to go in the direction of the top part which appears to be wearer's left (viewer's right).

Feel free to elaborate or correct. It's been a while... ^^;;

Squall1882
08-10-2005, 12:27 AM
Wow!! A hanbok has sooo many steps.. ahahaha.. so much harder then puttinh on a fancy dress or suit/tux.. boo my boring culture!! ahahaha

Wow. Lots of info. ^^

Just added notes:
re: chogori
.: I used to have striped sleeve hanbok too! I would say it is almost definitely a little-girl thing. Or at least younger teen. Most older wear has at most 2 base colors. (Red and green seem to be the most popular)
.: They sell just the stiff white collars sometimes. My grandma has a bundle (20 or so) in her closet. Apparently, you're supposed to change them every other month or so because they wear out. (Of course, that no longer applies since we don't wear them on day-to-day basis.)
.: Actually, my grandma was telling me that chogori length varied in history. It's all a matter of what's in fashion at the time and what's not. It lengthens and shortens and lengthens again. She calls fashion a cycle because of that. ^^ (Historical dramas, while not entirely historically accurate, have wonderful hanbok costumes to look at. We were watching one when I asked about the chogori length.)

re: chima
.: I was actually told to tie above the breasts and then move them up to create lift. I was always too lazy to, though. ^^;; Tieing under seems to be much easier. *nods* Wonder why I didn't think of that... ^^;;;;

re: hair
.: Don't forget that you have to make a middle-part then slick to the side & back. ^^

OK... here's my hanbok mini-tutorial. ^^ I mismatched my hanbok because I didn't want to fold my white chima after I was done so I just took my red chima which was on a hanger. (Chogori=summer, Chima=winter) It looked easier to fold back. I am so lazy. ^^;;

1. This is my sokbaji (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/jungi/hanbok/sokbaji.jpg). Like BlueJeans07 said, they are like pantaloons. Not historically accurate, but modernly adjusted. They have a big pocket in the front and have elastic waistband.
2. Then you wear the sokchima (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/jungi/hanbok/sokchima-on.jpg). Mine closes with a couple of hooks and large, flat eyes.
3. Then you should wear the chima (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/jungi/hanbok/thread-in-armhole.jpg). My grandma always threaded the right tie through the left armhole for more security? It might be just what my family does though. ^^;; You tie the chima in the front (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/jungi/hanbok/chima-tie.jpg). Then you should tuck the bow under the tie so it is flat.
4. Next, you wear the under-chogori (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/jungi/hanbok/under-chogori-on.jpg). *doesn't know proper name >.<;; * Winter (heavier cloth) hanbok don't really need this. (At least, I've never worn it with winter hanbok.) It's mainly for the summer (lighter, see-through) hanbok. Mine closes with a little velcro.
5. Then you put your chogori (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/jungi/hanbok/complete.jpg) on. The only thing I notice now is that I tied the ribbon wrong. It's supposed to go the other way. >.<;; The bow part is supposed to go in the direction of the top part which appears to be wearer's left (viewer's right).

Feel free to elaborate or correct. It's been a while... ^^;;

Kurimono
08-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Has anyone read 'Legend of Chun Hyung'? its by Clamp and is very loosely based on a Korean folktales(from what I gather anyway). I had my mother look at it and what little I can remember, she said only the outfit the mother wears in the last chapter is a real han bok.

thanks to Raenef & and Bluejean for all that info. it was very informative. would you happen to know anything on male verisons? those seem even more obscure.

kiwi_lady
08-12-2005, 09:19 AM
legend of chun hyang has very inaccurate hanboks :(
only the mothers and young chun hyangs hanbook is accurate
the hankboks clamp draws looks more like chinese outfits rather than koreans
i was bit dissapointed by legend of chun hyang hanboks when i first read it
but oh well :) wht can I do about it
and raenef, your hanbok is sooo pretty +_+ better than my stupid sac dong > D <

Sarcasm-hime
08-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Chunhyang the movie had very nice outfits and was a great movie as well. ^_^ Also you get to see all the layers of a men's hanbok as he takes each layer off one by one. XD

lainey
08-14-2005, 12:42 PM
for accuracy sakes...i've decided not to put interfacing in the bows...however the hell you tie it LOL

been SOO busy with school and barely started my convention costumes..so I haven't had the chance for any progress O_O

lainey
08-20-2005, 09:50 AM
OMIGOSH...i was looking at my boyfriend's sister in law's hanbok...
!!!!!!

it's worth over $1000 made by TOP OF THE LINE DESIGNER IN KOREA!!

i nearly DIED O_O O_O

*hides her hanbok fabrics* LOL

the embroidery was absolutely stunning and...!!!

kiwi_lady
08-21-2005, 04:50 PM
my god 1000 dollars o_o;; for hanbok?
there are designer hanboks in korea ;;?
wow O_O
now steal it, take piccie, and put it back nice and safe > D <
Oh and c u at CN anime on saturday ^_^ <- goin up to canada! 9 hr drives are fun!

Eleryth
08-21-2005, 10:22 PM
I would consider $1000 to be cheap considering some of the prices of kimono in Japan. It's quality materials, design, and the way it was sewn that affects prices, so I imagine that it's similar in Korea.

I'd love to see if you ever get pics!

PS. There are designer kimono in Japan, too; I've seen them up for auction, and many are worth several tens of thousands of dollars (one I saw was starting at 6500000yen, which is about $65000).

halfkorean
08-22-2005, 12:58 AM
buhaha
I had a hanbok... i cant wear it anymore... it was for when i was like 10, dang.
i been meaning to get another one some day. maybe for my [hopfully korean] wedding?
im glad theres a 한국어 thread here buhaha. altho no one is using 한국말
대한민국 =]
- keith

selaphri
08-23-2005, 01:03 AM

actually, i think you tied it correctly, but then you took the picture in a mirror, so right and left switched... ^^;

ah, i really wanted to buy a hanbok when i was in korea this summer, but i have no occasion to wear it :/ (unless i plan on getting married, which my 이모 was bothering me about -_-;;; ) and my mom has all these nice 한복 that she never takes out of the dresser in which they hide. :P

tsumikuroi
08-23-2005, 11:51 PM
OMIGOSH...i was looking at my boyfriend's sister in law's hanbok...
!!!!!!

it's worth over $1000 made by TOP OF THE LINE DESIGNER IN KOREA!!

i nearly DIED O_O O_O

*hides her hanbok fabrics* LOL

the embroidery was absolutely stunning and...!!!

^^;; That's pretty impressive but hanbok can get to be incredibly expensive. I used to do Korean dancing and my fan dance dress was a whopping $500. It was custom made to my size and all the embroidery was hand sewn. I love it to death, because it's a very lovely silk that floats, not the scratchy silk gauze of my childhood days /shudders/.

As for the "Mama" jokes, it's probably because hanbok are empire waisted. High waists (under the breasts) make for very good maternity dresses. A teacher of a friend of mine joked that Koreans knew what they were doing because hanbok can REALLY help to hide a pregnancy (empire waists and full skirts).

Koumori
08-24-2005, 07:32 AM
As for the "Mama" jokes, it's probably because hanbok are empire waisted. High waists (under the breasts) make for very good maternity dresses. A teacher of a friend of mine joked that Koreans knew what they were doing because hanbok can REALLY help to hide a pregnancy (empire waists and full skirts).

That wasn't it either... it's something about *that specific* hanbok that makes people think that. People who can't articulate what *makes* them think that. >.<

I would imagine hanbok can probably go well above $1000 depending on the fabric, embroidery, and designer.

lainey
08-31-2005, 01:16 PM
yes about that...the majority of the details were fabric painted.

there were lots of embroidery on the designs that were in a circle..if you know what i mean -_-

and some embroidery throughout the skirt...but a lot of the designs were fabric painted.

kiwi_lady
08-31-2005, 06:55 PM
those circle thingys.. mine was ironed on lol ;;
i think thts how it is for most of hanboks o.o
the embroidery ones are VERY expensive >.<
btw lainey, is your hanbok gonna be court styled or regular :3?

lainey
09-02-2005, 12:02 AM
i was going to make it court styled...but then i've made it regular :D

less weird when i wear it lol

Silence_Sigh
09-10-2005, 11:32 PM
buncha hanbok pics from my grandmums 80th b-day party. all the girls in the immediate family was suppose to wear hanbok and um.... the pics are bad cuz my cousins digi cam sucks and shes a bad photagropher too! :lost:

we hired a professional photagropher so when the films he took is ready, then i'll post pics again. ^^

so heres the stuff my cousins took.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/fcd674bc.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/9c0b9738.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/72c0cbf2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/6fc9d519.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/1b36375b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/c163ee06.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/9e8651de.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/4c089132.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/753672fc.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/b55691c8.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/610dbec7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/c6493a4a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/edaef2f8.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/4da18342.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/ea731ea5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/1d0bba2c.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/c42b4718.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/3ec8a7a9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/61a72589.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/94639fb2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/a56e5bc0.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/ab1a7335.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/2adf88c7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/5bb3dbed.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/5a86a0c2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/80dd81be.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/2e27f6bf.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/e2b5afc0.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/504c98ee.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/1c5d6f40.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/7f500d8a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/a4a4ef3c.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/3ed9aa2b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/84922b23.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/f5a696d5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/f3a5fec9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/9ecb39e7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/20b9782b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/34b1a73b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/d677128c.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/silence_sigh/d2ffbd9b.jpg <my family group pic. my older sis is missing. i am the one with the pony tail. my brothers and i were at the door most of the time cuz we were in charge of the money box and taking names down and people were joking with us saying they thought this was a yakuza party cuz my bro(bald one) and i looked like yakuzas... :thumbsup:

sorry for the baaaaaaaaaaaad pics, i forgot to bring my own digi cam.. T_T
:sulk:

i'll post the pics the photagropher took when i get them. ^^

angel-roh
09-15-2005, 03:43 AM
they are really hard that's what i know. unless if you're very good at sowing them, i guess it will be easy for you. i would want to make my own hanbok someday!!

DarkAngelMedia
09-20-2005, 07:50 AM
I just came from Seoul. I have seen purple as part of the design, but you can make any color you want, really. I saw really nice one that was blue upper part and white skirt and white shoes. The cute pointy shoes will be fun to make, unless you just go to the store and buy them or order online. There is supposed to be a cute little "box"-hat too, I think?

Kagz
10-13-2005, 12:44 AM
I know that right now Butterick has a Hanbok pattern, and I was able to pick it up for .99 at Hankock because they were having a sale. but its only like $16 regularly.

UltraViolet_Tofu
10-16-2005, 05:03 PM
does anyone know were i can find a site or place that sells fair priced hanboks:) ? not like $600+ ones XD

lainey
10-22-2005, 10:42 AM
mm..only other place i've seen is ebay..but they are like 200-300US

ANBU87
11-29-2005, 12:27 AM
>.< I remember wearing one when i was a kid...kinda embarrasing to be seen in public in Canada with one. But my friend wore one at an anime convention

xinababo
11-30-2005, 11:42 PM
hehe i want to make my own hambok for my wedding :3 since my mom's gonna make me do the korean wedding after the american one............

RedSpey
12-15-2005, 10:45 AM
The hanboks on e-bay are polyester. I found some silk ones from e-hanbok.com and from china-cart.com under "korean collectibles." I'm not sure of the veracity of each of these sites, but they are silk and run from $200-400 USD.
I'm going to buy one for my wife for our anniversary. I hope she likes it.

lainey
12-15-2005, 09:14 PM
oh wow those are gorgeous O_O I can't wait to wear the special occassion hanboks..they are so pretty!

in korea a cheap hanbok made out of low quality fabrics was about $100US O_O

Koumori
12-17-2005, 08:29 AM
does anyone know were i can find a site or place that sells fair priced hanboks:) ? not like $600+ ones XD

I think for silk, that is an entirely fair price. You can get polyester ones cheaper, and there are often used ones on ebay though they're often out of fashion. There are also several patterns available right now, and they're not difficult to make yourself as long as you make sure to obtain and wear all the right underwear.

RedSpey
12-20-2005, 12:59 PM
From what I understand from a Korean friend is that the long waist-length coat hanboks are for royalty. In Korea they usually run around $1,000!! Her mom, from Korea, was going to buy a hanbok from a local Seattle Korean boutique until she saw the ones on the china-cart website. She was shocked and is now buying one from them. She said they are a great deal! Good luck all!

junko
03-21-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm actually have one up on auction... It's all white and vintage, but in pretty good condithion. It's more traditional that the fashion/designerly ones... but it's a bargain price compared to the other stuff on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7752400489

I plan on putting another one up soon... the other one has a pink skirt and a rainbow top... and other traditional korean shoes that you wear with Hanboks and that.

Feel free to PM me if anyone is interested!

hibekisensai
03-28-2006, 10:03 AM
i have the male hanbok, blue, green, purple are some of the colors....i wore this for Christmas a few years back....i'll see if i can find some pics and post them...i love traditional korean clothing, but yes, it is muy caro!! (very expensive)

lainey
04-10-2006, 10:49 AM
just to note...you guys shouldn't be soliciting anywhere besides the SPAM forum as you can get a warning or whatever from a mod :)

Karisu-sama
04-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Strawberry_yura, please post your for-sale information in the "Spam Board" forum. It cannot be in this forum.

Thank you.

RainingWendy
05-07-2007, 11:17 PM
I found this while I was looking for the words Hanbok Pattern, I am not sure really about many things about them, I tried to look up things in youtube and I found a quick way of how putting it on and all but I got lost in the first part does the hanbok skirt like thing have ribbons on that back and how are they secured I saw it was in the front throught the right part of the skirt thing, but how many of them ribbons is it???
And how do you tie the knot in the front, I read somewhere here that folk place pattern was no good I been asking my korean guy friend to see if they have paterns in Pusan where he lives but I doubt he will find what I am looking for, or I am not sure if he knows what I am looking for. Anywho I would really want to find a pattern for it or a place that sells hanboks online, I found e bay does and my mother and I were thinking of getting one but again I am not sure that site is that good for that.

RainingWendy
05-08-2007, 04:36 AM
http://betsyvintage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=84&products_id=2059&zenid=d3e7f5edfc77b5abcf5a94f898117e8a
I found this on a hanbok pattern after hours of looking online, I just have to find one that fits me

lainey
06-24-2007, 06:02 PM
oki...i asked my bf's mother to help me find an under layer thingy...

she said she'll pick one up from korea.

then she came back with an entire hanbok set...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/laineylains/personal/hanbok.jpg

O_O it's so beautiful! and the underskirt is so POOFY!!