PDA

View Full Version : Expo-discs

yukitoLeonheart
06-22-2005, 04:52 PM
I had the fortune of using one for a while (not knowing it was a $110 piece of equipment) and these things are quite useful.

For those who don't know what they are here is some information

http://www.expodisc.com/

Basically they are fast alternatives for adjusting your white balance in difficult lighting situations (like just about every convention out there). They are just like a gray card, except you put it on the front, take a picture are the subject, and set it. It just pops on, too. I am not recommending it, necessarily unless you have like an extra $110 to drop per disc. Just wondering if I am the only one who has been privy to use one.

I am thinking of going back to the camera store when I pick up my new equipment and using it for a second to show the difference between AWB and how exact the white balance is from it inside a store.

gmontem
06-22-2005, 06:31 PM
The price is rather high and for some people coffee filters will do the trick, for others its about three layers of a certain 3M air filter mask.

yukitoLeonheart
06-22-2005, 06:44 PM
someone said that, but I thought it was a joke......... thank you!

raye
06-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Another item that has the reputation of being a very good substitute for the Expodisc is a Pringles can lid. The new clear ones don't work. A old translucent one is needed and they are a bit hard to find now.

I have one in my photobag and have tried it out. It seems to work better than auto but I don't use it often in actual shooting. I usually just fix it in the RAW processor.

bob1968m
06-22-2005, 09:06 PM
yup, i've experimented with a translucent coffee can lid with excellent results, but haven't used it in the field much yet.

My Flash WB setting is usually pretty decent for flash photog. I used it for Anime Next and didn't feel WB was off. I played around with +1 or -1 WB adjustment, but i couldn't tell difference.

yukitoLeonheart
06-22-2005, 10:55 PM
I never throught of the idea of such objects, and they do seem perfect. Leave it to me to be the only one who picks up something non-shiny and white, throw it in manual and cutsom it.

I think I saw you Bob....... were you the guy shooting with the flash on the flash cord. I think you had a Nikon...... maybe I am wrong on both accounts, but you were really working hard if it was you.

This is totally random, but I don't know the answer..... is it smart to use fill flash when using the flash on cord or should you use one of the other modes?

Also, totally unrelated but gmontmem seeing your pics with the 135/ 2 makes me want to buy one....... like this second. Some of your pictures even wide open are almost tack sharp and anything 2.8 and above is...... just wow.

bob1968m
06-22-2005, 11:27 PM
no, that wasn't me. I had a nikon but my sb-800 was on hotshoe, not a cord. I think I know who you mean though.

didjiman
06-23-2005, 01:22 AM
This is totally random, but I don't know the answer..... is it smart to use fill flash when using the flash on cord or should you use one of the other modes?

You should almost always shoot with the flash in fill mode. It is almost always better than full strength flash.